PDA

View Full Version : Football Best All Time AFC West RB's

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Same as before - hopefully a poll this time ***To be clear it is the one best player per team***

DEN:
Terrel Davis
Floyd Little
Bobby Humphrey
Sammy Winder
Clinton Portis

KC:
Christian Okoye
Jamaal Charles
Priest Holmes
Ed Podolak
Larry Johnson

SD:
LaDainian Tomlinson
Natrone Means
Chuck Muncie

OAK:
Bo Jackson
Marcus Allen
Napoleon Kauffman

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:25 PM
LT

/thread

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
LT

/thread

Yeah, best Bolt back. He killed it for me in fantasy for years.

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Did Portis ever do anything after being traded to Washington?

Denver was mostly system. Yes, Davis was real, but it seemed their backs were just plug-and-play. I give the O-line the credit in Denver.

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:29 PM

I think only Marcus Allen is in the same class as him, but LT is better.

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Who knows how many yards Marcus Allen would have if that jackass Al Davis hadn't benched him for 2 years during the PRIME of his career. What a jackass.

Never mind he spent 2 years blocking for Bo Jackson.

Allen could have been monstrous.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Did Portis ever do anything after being traded to Washington?

Denver was mostly system. Yes, Davis was real, but it seemed their backs were just plug-and-play. I give the O-line the credit in Denver.

Agreed but as you say TD was the real deal. Loved to watch him run.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I think only Marcus Allen is in the same class as him, but LT is better.

Bo was a bad ass. Al Davis fucked Marcus Allen over so bad he should have been arrested for it.

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Bo was a bad ass. Al Davis fucked Marcus Allen over so bad he should have been arrested for it.

Yeah, just thinking of longevity too...only played 38 games in his career.

Also why I don't consider TD elite, just really fucking good (for a 3 or 4 year period).

ThaVirus
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Its hard to decide where Bo Jackson should go..

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Also why I don't consider TD elite, just really ****ing good (for a 3 or 4 year period).

Agreed, TD had a short career but what a run he had...LT did it for a long time.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Agreed but he was a beast while he played

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:36 PM

A career cut short by injury, sucks. Hate the fade but loved to watch him play.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Agreed, TD had a short career but what a run he had...LT did it for a long time.

Makes you wonder what kind of damage he could have done if he had stayed around longer

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Also why I don't consider TD elite, just really ****ing good (for a 3 or 4 year period).

That is the thing... In the Denver rushing system, great rushers became unworldly demi-gods. None of them were as good as their numbers made them look. They would be traded off and never see a fraction of their old performance. I know TD got hurt, but still. I think the Denver RBs benefited huge from that offensive line and having the threat of Elway's passing and scrambling.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Makes you wonder what kind of damage he could have done if he had stayed around longer

It took me a while to quit thinking about that. Elway had retired so the O was different but who knows? I'm glad for what I got.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
That is the thing... In the Denver rushing system, great rushers became unworldly demi-gods. None of them were as good as their numbers made them look. They would be traded off and never see a fraction of their old performance. I know TD got hurt, but still. I think the Denver RBs benefited huge from that offensive line and having the threat of Elway's passing and scrambling.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Roger Craig and Montana/Rice/Taylor?

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 04:43 PM
How many are we supposed to vote for? Is it one per team? Top three? I can't vote until I understand the instructions.

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Marcus Allen and LT are the only two first ballot HOF'ers on here.

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
It has to be Tomlinson going away. Others did as much for short periods. Okoye was bruising and I always loved watching Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. But nobody sustained it like LaDanian Tomlinson. Allen is the only one who could have topped him if he hadn't been benched for 2 years.

Other than that, I PUKE on the jackass that first called LaDanian Tomlinson LT.

LT is was and always will be Lawrence Taylor, first and foremost. There is no other LT but Lawrence Taylor.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:47 PM
How many are we supposed to vote for? Is it one per team? Top three? I can't vote until I understand the instructions.

One per team - I am obviously not the poll god you are :)

Phobia

Guess you've never played Techmo Bowl then. Get a clue. Your choice...

vailpass
It has to be Tomlinson going away. Others did as much for short periods. Okoye was bruising and I always loved watching Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. But nobody sustained it like LaDanian Tomlinson. Allen is the only one who could have topped him if he hadn't been benched for 2 years.

LT is was and always will be Lawrence Taylor, first and foremost. There is no other LT but Lawrence Taylor.

Yes but when used in context it's a lot easier to abbreviate.

DenverChief
I'm pretty sure Marcus Allen and LT are the only two first ballot HOF'ers on here.

It is not just about HOF status or potential

Buck

YEAH PEOPLE CANT HAVE THE SAME NICKNAMES OR JUST USE THEIR INITIALS AS NICKNAMES. DOWN WITH LdT!

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
One per team - I am obviously not the poll god you are :)

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Or Young/Watters/Rathman/Rice/Taylor?

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Denver - Terrell Davis easy, despite the short career.

KC - I started to pick Priest, but all homer aside, it's hard to ignore 5.9 career yards per career. That's beyond amazing. I went with Charles.

Oakland - Marcus Allen. There is no second place.

SD - Everyone will vote for Tomlinson, and I can understand that, but the best running back suiting up for San Diego is James Brooks. That guy was amazing and never got the credit he deserved. He had a 4.7 ypc career average, though the majority of his career with with Cincinnati. He was a dangerous running back.

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:54 PM
It is not just about HOF status or potential

HOF status pretty much directly correlates with how great you played on the field.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:56 PM

KC - I started to pick Priest, but all homer aside, it's hard to ignore 5.9 career yards per career. That's beyond amazing. I went with Charles.

SD - Everyone will vote for Tomlinson, and I can understand that, but the best running back suiting up for San Diego is James Brooks. That guy was amazing and never got the credit he deserved. He had a 4.7 ypc career average, though the majority of his career with with Cincinnati. He was a dangerous running back.

Interesting - Never heard of him before

Buck
09-07-2013, 04:57 PM

Sorry, but Brooks had 7 starts for San Diego in 3 years total, with about 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns. And he only played for SD during one of their glory years (1979-1981) (he was here 1981-1983).

He was really good with Cincinnati, but if you're saying he's better than Tomlinson you're high.

KCrockaholic
09-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Priest was the man. But Jamaal Charles is a better player. And 3 years from now there will be no question.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 04:58 PM
HOF status pretty much directly correlates with how great you played on the field.

True but there were/are players that had short careers (Terrel Davis) were great individual performers ( Larry Johnson) or played on completely lousy teams (Steve Deberg) that will never sniff the HOF

Prison Bitch
09-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Lt, then Terrell Davis priest and Allen in no order

Buck
09-07-2013, 05:01 PM
True but there were/are players that had short careers (Terrel Davis) were great individual performers ( Larry Johnson) or played on completely lousy teams (Steve Deberg) that will never sniff the HOF

Ok, I didn't see what this was based on in the OP, I am biased, but I am also right, nobody else except Allen touches LT on this list.

Priest, Bo, TD, shit probably everyone on this list had a season or two where they were killer, but LT was solid from 2001 - 2008 (8 years), and he was the best RB in the league from 2003 - 2007 (5 years).

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Sorry, but Brooks had 7 starts for San Diego in 3 years total, with about 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns. And he only played for SD during one of their glory years (1979-1981) (he was here 1981-1983).

He was really good with Cincinnati, but if you're saying he's better than Tomlinson you're high.

Admittedly, he hit his stride in Cincy, but he was really good in San Diego as an RB and a KR. They ended up trading him to Cincinnati for Ponderous Pete Johnson, and I was amazed. Johnson was a big, slow running back who was no threat at all, and Brooks was scary with the ball in his hand. I acknowledge that Tomlinson has a much greater body of work with the Chargers, but Brooks scared me more when the ball was in his hands. For some reason Brooks never got the credit that he deserved in the NFL.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Ok, I didn't see what this was based on in the OP, I am biased, but I am also right, nobody else except Allen touches LT on this list.

Priest, Bo, TD, shit probably everyone on this list had a season or two where they were killer, but LT was solid from 2001 - 2008 (8 years), and he was the best RB in the league from 2003 - 2007 (5 years).

He was also the best at catching the ball and yac.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Yeah I'm having a poll fail today - I need to rethink my question :LOL:

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah I'm having a poll fail today - I need to rethink my question :LOL:

There's a pill for that:D

Buck
09-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Admittedly, he hit his stride in Cincy, but he was really good in San Diego as an RB and a KR. They ended up trading him to Cincinnati for Ponderous Pete Johnson, and I was amazed. Johnson was a big, slow running back who was no threat at all, and Brooks was scary with the ball in his hand. I acknowledge that Tomlinson has a much greater body of work with the Chargers, but Brooks scared me more when the ball was in his hands. For some reason Brooks never got the credit that he deserved in the NFL.

I wasn't around back then, but from the research I've done, a lot of our players were known drug addicts and the owners traded a lot of players they found out were on drugs. I'm not sure about Brooks, but that may have been the case.

Pablo
09-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Buck is right. LT is the class of that group. Then I went with Priest, but if Charles has another productive year he'll overtake him in my mind. TD was an easy choice, and Marcus Allen gets the nod for the Faid.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
All Time leader in YPC

Buck
09-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Luckily for you guys, you have the best current RB by far, and the only current player in the AFC West who has a chance to top LT by the end of it all.

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I wasn't around back then, but from the research I've done, a lot of our players were known drug addicts and the owners traded a lot of players they found out were on drugs. I'm not sure about Brooks, but that may have been the case.

It's quite possible. I don't know if it was drugs or something else, but I know that Brooks has had life problems since retirement. I think it also came out that he was illiterate or something. Weird case. The trade seemed really dumb on San Diego's part at the time, and indeed it was a terrible trade for them.

Rausch
09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Odd that my favorites probably aren't the best (Bo, Okoye, Means...)

BlackHelicopters
09-07-2013, 05:23 PM
In

ThaVirus
09-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Luckily for you guys, you have the best current RB by far, and the only current player in the AFC West who has a chance to top LT by the end of it all.

JC doesn't score nearly enough TDs. He'd literally have to score 20+ TDs for the next 4 seasons to even be considered one of the best ever.

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Here's an article about James Brooks and illiteracy. I'm not sure how you can go your whole life in modern America and not be able to read, but I guess it can happen. http://diverseeducation.com/article/10/#

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Here's an article about James Brooks and illiteracy. I'm not sure how you can go your whole life in modern America and not be able to read, but I guess it can happen. http://diverseeducation.com/article/10/#

Had Brooks seen this article?

Consistent1
09-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Agreed but he was a beast while he played

How can you guys live in this bullshit Bo world and completely dismiss LJ? Dude had two monster years in a row. He had two years in a row that were crazy. Bo Jackson is some mythical character to some of you.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:39 PM
How can you guys live in this bullshit Bo world and completely dismiss LJ? Dude had two monster years in a row. He had two years in a row that were crazy. Bo Jackson is some mythical character to some of you.

Bo was a multi sport stud and a good guy. LJ can't hold Bo's jock on or off the field.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 05:39 PM

:spock: not discounting LJ at all - LJ didn't play for the Raiders tho

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Had Brooks seen this article?

It's hard to tell.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
It's hard to tell.

:D

Consistent1
09-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Bo was a multi sport stud and a good guy. LJ can't hold Bo's jock on or off the field.

LJ lasted longer than the Godsend in the NFL. Jackson had crazy talent, and was most likelt juiced as hell on top of that. Fine. I liked Bosworth, but when Bo cracked him it was funny.

Some of these idiots would take Bo over Emmitt or Marshall Faulk.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 05:59 PM
LJ lasted longer than the Godsend in the NFL. Jackson had crazy talent, and was most likelt juiced as hell on top of that. Fine. I liked Bosworth, but when Bo cracked him it was funny.

Don't know that Bo was juiced, dude was just a freak. Like Herschel.Guy could hit a major league fast ball. Hard saying what he could have done.

Consistent1
09-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Ricky Williams was a better football player than Bo when he had his head on straight. I was just pointing out that in two years LJ did more than Bo's whole career.

He should be on the list.

I take nothing away from Jackson. Wonderful athlete, but he turned out to be a "what coulda been".

listopencil
09-07-2013, 06:00 PM

DEN: Floyd Little/TD

KC: Priest Holmes/Christian Okoye

OAK: Marcus Allen/Bo Jackson

SD: LdT/Natrone Means

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Ricky Williams was a better football player than Bo when he had his head on straight. I was just pointing out that in two years LJ did more than Bo's whole career.

I take nothing away from Jackson. Wonderful athlete, but he turned out to be a "what coulda been".

Yeah, Jackson is way overrated. There have been lots of running backs who had a very good year or two. Jackson is just one of that bunch.

vailpass

Hear you.

Molitoth
LT and Marcus Allen got my vote. Nobody else.

BryanBusby
09-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Best back ever in the division and it really isn't close.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
LT and Marcus Allen got my vote. Nobody else.

No Priest? No TD?

Consistent1
09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Don't know that Bo was juiced, dude was just a freak. Like Herschel.Guy could hit a major league fast ball. Hard saying what he could have done.

Have you ever really been around gyms?

And I didn't mean Williams should be in the poll, just screwed up typing. Davis and Holmes are my favorites for the poll. They were both crazy to watch.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
No Priest? No TD?

I think they missed the point of the poll - pick one player per team lol

vailpass
09-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Have you ever really been around gyms?

And I didn't mean Williams should be in the poll, just screwed up typing. Davis and Holmes are my favorites for the poll. They were both crazy to watch.

I just go to LA Fitness, can't speak to any steroid experience. If you know something I don't I'm certainly willing to learn.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I think they missed the point of the poll - pick one player per team lol

Seems pretty clear.

GordonGekko
09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Good poll.

The obvious choice here is LT. Priest would be in the discussion if it wasn't for his injury.

Terrel Davis had a season or two where he looked absolutely unstoppable, but then again that Denver offensive line's blocking was *ahem*, legally questionable.

If I had to take one back, in their prime, for one game, I'd take Priest. The dude was magic. Career ending injuries are a damn shame (I know he came back but he was not the same).

Another thing I noticed from this poll, the Chiefs have probably the best collection of running backs in their history out of the teams in the AFC West.

If it wasn't for LT, San Diego would have a piss poor selection of RB's.

DJJasonp
09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I love marcus and all.....but sorry, bo Jackson was a freak.

Is this poll talent, or numbers?

cause if it's talent, there's no flippin' contest.....it's Bo....and by a long shot.

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Couldn't the same thing be said about Roger Craig and Montana/Rice/Taylor?

Craig, sure?

Rice. N f'ing way. Rice was Rice. He would have been the best in football if he caught from Marino or Fouts or Favre, whoever.

Rice was head and shoulders above any other WR in work ethic, study, and preparation. He was absolutely fanatical about his physical conditioning. If Randy Moss had 3/4 of Rice's fanaticism, he would have shattered every receiving record known to man.

Rice was a once in a lifetime outlier.

You could make a better point about Montana being a system QB. If he went to the Bills, would they have 4 Lombardis instead of the 49ers? I just don't know. I'm betting Montana alone wins 2 of those 4 super bowls for Buffalo though.

So even Joe was more than JUST a system QB. He had greatness in him. He was exceptional. Of course, he would not have gotten Bill Walsh's QB development in Buffalo, so there is genuine doubt if Montana would have attained his full potential under Levy.

I'm going to say "no", that Montana is neither a hall of famer or perennial All Pro if he was not developed and pushed by Bill Walsh. So you have a point there.

Nobody pushed Rice but Rice. It was all Poodle. He just kept going and going.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Craig, sure?

Rice. N f'ing way. Rice was Rice. He would have been the best in football if he caught from Marino or Fouts or Favre, whoever.

Rice was head and shoulders above any other WR in work ethic, study, and preparation. He was absolutely fanatical about his physical conditioning. If Randy Moss had 3/4 of Rice's fanaticism, he would have shattered every receiving record known to man.

Agreed but what if Cassell was his QB?

LowExpectations
09-07-2013, 07:54 PM
C'mon chiefs fans....36 votes for that turd Davis? He wouldn't have done anything without that blocking scheme they had.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 07:56 PM
C'mon chiefs fans....36 votes for that turd Davis? He wouldn't have done anything without that blocking scheme they had.

It's the best rb from each team.

Kaepernick
09-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Montana went to KC and almost took you to a super bowl. I would say he was not just a system QB. System guys fall off a cliff when they leave there team. Montana didn't. He was just fragile.

GordonGekko
09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Montana went to KC and almost took you to a super bowl. I would say he was not just a system QB. System guys fall off a cliff when they leave there team. Montana didn't. He was just fragile.

His stats were definitely nothing special while he was in KC. He was also the beneficiary of a very nasty defense.

But he was definitely a great post-season quarterback, and a sure fire winner.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Craig, sure?

You could make a better point about Montana being a system QB. If he went to the Bills, would they have 4 Lombardis instead of the 49ers? I just don't know. I'm betting Montana alone wins 2 of those 4 super bowls for Buffalo though.

So even Joe was more than JUST a system QB. He had greatness in him. He was exceptional. Of course, he would not have gotten Bill Walsh's QB development in Buffalo, so there is genuine doubt if Montana would have attained his full potential under Levy.

I'm going to say "no", that Montana is neither a hall of famer or perennial All Pro if he was not developed and pushed by Bill Walsh. So you have a point there.

Nobody pushed Rice but Rice. It was all Poodle. He just kept going and going.

I'm not arguing about Rice - you said TD was the beneficiary of a system that Included Elway Rod Smith and Ed McCaffery. All I was saying was that you could say the same thing about Craig/Rathman/Watters etc etc

milkman
09-07-2013, 08:39 PM
:shake:LJ lasted longer than the Godsend in the NFL. Jackson had crazy talent, and was most likelt juiced as hell on top of that. Fine. I liked Bosworth, but when Bo cracked him it was funny.

If you told me I could the pick of any RB in history, including Emmit and Faulk, or I could have a healthy Bo for 5 or 6 years, I'd take Bo without a second of hesitation.

RNR
09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
:shake:

If you told me I could the pick of any RB in history, including Emmit and Faulk, or I could have a healthy Bo for 5 or 6 years, I'd take Bo without a second of hesitation.

Agreed~

vailpass
09-07-2013, 08:46 PM
:shake:

Bo was an absolute mf'er, could have set all the records.

crossbow
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
LT was elite among his piers.

DenverChief
09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
LT was elite among his piers.

Ha

Buck
09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Do this with LB's. Interested to see how many less votes Seau gets than DT and Marvcus Patton.