PDA

View Full Version : Football Suh slapped with 100K fine for illegal block

LiveSteam
09-10-2013, 01:58 PM
http://on.ketv.com/17Wa0dQ

NFL spokesman Randall Liu says vice president of football operations Merton Hanks notified the Detroit defensive tackle of the fine. Suh hit Vikings center John Sullivan during an interception return, drawing a penalty that negated a touchdown by Detroit linebacker DeAndre Levy.

Suh said he wasn't going after Sullivan's knees, adding that the two discussed the play at halftime. Detroit players said Suh apologized to the team Tuesday.

The NFL fined Suh $30,000 last year for unnecessary roughness when he kicked Houston quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin area. He was suspended two games in 2011 after stomping on Green Bay's Evan Dietrich-Smith

Al Czervik
09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
100K is good...but his cheapshot ass should miss a game IMO

FlaChief58
09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Ouch, that's gotta sting, even for him

Pepe Silvia
09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Not surprised, hes a dirty player, everyone knows this.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I probably in the minority ... but i didn't think it was that bad.

Suh saw the turnover and went to block :shrug:

He supposed to wait and judge whether the guy could catch him or not?

If you wait for that then you might as well not block at all.

Rasputin
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Ha ha it's funny because they talked about him changing and they made him a team captain.

First game of the season this.

gblowfish
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Meh, that's just one more Chrysler commercial he'll have to do. No biggie.

mr. tegu
09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Wow. That will leave a dent.

LiveSteam
09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I wounder how long before Goofdell goes after Chip Kelly's offensive linemen for chopping at the knees?

ChiTown
09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
This guy deserves to have his knees taken out and career ended. What a fkn bitch-assed punk.

vailpass
09-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Agreed.

SDChiefs
09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
its funny cause hes fat....

Pitt Gorilla
09-10-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm shocked that Suh and Levonte David had incredibly stupid penalties this week.

Red Gorilla
09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I wounder how long before Goofdell goes after Chip Kelly's offensive linemen for chopping at the knees?

He should if he's going to go after Suh. Good post.

FlaChief58
09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
its funny cause hes fat....

LMAO

Dayze
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Hines Ward would've been fined a shit load of cash back in the day

BlackHelicopters
09-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm shocked that Suh and Levonte David had incredibly stupid penalties this week.

LMAO

mr. tegu
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Seriously? Most players just run with their guy in that situation instead of blocking someone from a blind side like that.

mr. tegu
09-10-2013, 02:25 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/09/suhcheap.gif

ChiTown
09-10-2013, 02:28 PM

That is just fucking pathetic. Someone is going to send him and his worthless ass out of the league. Bounty time.

gblowfish
09-10-2013, 02:34 PM
The thing about that play is, he's blocking way behind the ball. That guy was never going to catch the runner. That's just malicious, and very Raider like.

Three7s
09-10-2013, 02:36 PM
The thing about that play is, he's blocking way behind the ball. That guy was never going to catch the runner. That's just malicious, and very Raider like.
Exactly, he's a freaking fool.

lawrenceRaider
09-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Hines Ward would've been fined a shit load of cash back in the day

But he was just a good hard nosed player.

Easy 6
09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I just find it funny that Sullivan was still hustling, with O chance of catching the guy LMAO

Rain Man
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Y'know, I'm in the same camp. That didn't look any different than a ton of blocks that I see on wide runs every game.

And Merton Hanks? Wow. I haven't heard that name in a while. The funny thing is that I always assumed he was some sort of goober clown with his little dance and chicken neck, but he was one of the interviewees on one of the "America's Game" shows, and the guy was incredibly eloquent and well spoken.

Jerm
09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Hilarious that a league who continually spouts safety and health concern lets this moron make one cheap and dirty play after another...

vailpass
09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Y'know, I'm in the same camp. That didn't look any different than a ton of blocks that I see on wide runs every game.

And Merton Hanks? Wow. I haven't heard that name in a while. The funny thing is that I always assumed he was some sort of goober clown with his little dance and chicken neck, but he was one of the interviewees on one of the "America's Game" shows, and the guy was incredibly eloquent and well spoken.

Of course. He's a Hawkeye.

Dayze
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
But he was just a good hard nosed player.

"Hines Ward. What a player. Always has a smile on his face" / any broadcaster during a game

Easy 6
09-10-2013, 02:50 PM
"Hines Ward. What a player. Always has a smile on his face" / any broadcaster during a game

Tell the truth though... you'd have been thrilled to have him in KC.

I know I would.

vailpass
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM

I know I would.

Hell yes, I'd have loved to see him in Orange.

Dayze
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM

I know I would.

well, yeah. :D

WhiteWhale
09-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Cut blocking is illegal after a turnover.

Suh saw the turnover and went for an illegal block.

Valiant
09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Shit. Wish they just would protect all players equally with this shit. Make it no blocks below the knee period if they are that worried. And also a 15yard penalty for any online pushing a player from behind that is going after the qb.

Be equal at least.

Dayze
09-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Shit. Wish they just would protect all players equally with this shit. Make it no blocks below the knee period if they are that worried. And also a 15yard penalty for any online pushing a player from behind that is going after the qb.

Be equal at least.

yep.

Three7s
09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

If you look at the gif, the problem I have is that the Viking pursuing the play had NO CHANCE at catching the ball carrier. Remember when people were going nuts about the Stevie Johnson block on Berry? It's similar in that both players had no chance at making a play, yet were cut blocked.

Rain Man
09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

It is? I had no idea. I know you're not allowed to hit the quarterback (sigh) and I thought they made some blindside rule after Warren Sapp his Chad Clifton, but I didn't know that there was a no-cut rule.

Rain Man
09-10-2013, 03:03 PM
If you look at the gif, the problem I have is that the Viking pursuing the play had NO CHANCE at catching the ball carrier. Remember when people were going nuts about the Stevie Johnson block on Berry? It's similar in that both players had no chance at making a play, yet were cut blocked.

Yeah, I guess I can see that perspective. It's a little subjective, but I can see it.

Kaepernick
09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
I can't wait for his lifetime ban. Punk.

FlaChief58
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM

This

LiveSteam
09-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Never happen

vailpass
09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Never happen

Hell no.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

is it completely illegal or just illegal against 'a defensiveless player no longer in the play'?

sincere question ... im not sure of the rule

Bump
09-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I hate when they put these articles up and don't even show a video of the play that he got fined for

FlaChief58
09-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Never happen

Sadly, you're right. Mainly because there are enough fans who think shit like that ok fine as long as it's no one on their FF team

LiveSteam
09-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Sadly, you're right. Mainly because there are enough fans who think shit like that ok fine as long as it's no one on their FF team

Well he dose not play for my team anymore. But when he did. Blaine Gabert cried like a lil bitch & Colt Mcoy pissed himself

FlaChief58
09-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Well he dose not play for my team anymore. But when he did. Blaine Gabert cried like a lil bitch & Colt Mcoy pissed himself

He's a bad mofo for sure, so much so that he doesn't need to be a dirty bitch & try and end other players season, or worse, their career.

WhiteWhale
09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
is it completely illegal or just illegal against 'a defensiveless player no longer in the play'?

sincere question ... im not sure of the rule

Not legal. At all.

It's not legal on any play where there is a change of possession, including punts.

Honestly I don't think this is a new rule. It's been like that as long as I can remember. Pretty sure this one has been around since the 70's.

Second of all he cut the guy from behind...which is pretty much always illegal as well.

It was a horribly dirty play. There's no way after all of these years he doesn't know that.

Holladay
09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Suh must not be that smart. Knees/hands/balls make a football player. It's how they make a living. If someone has a history of causing injuries to those areas is a marked man on the field. There are a ton of big badasses in the NFL. Who knows what happens under a pile.

Rain Man
09-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Suh must not be that smart. Knees/hands/balls make a football player. It's how they make a living. If someone has a history of causing injuries to those areas is a marked man on the field. There are a ton of big badasses in the NFL. Who knows what happens under a pile.

I'm intrigued by the concept of a guy being told, "You play too rough to be a professional football player." That's really saying something.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Lets put $100,000 in perspective.

Boar #6446 is a Maternal line boar wich means he produces offspring used for breeding stock. His semen is priced at $40 / dose. I get 12 good doses from him every time he spits in my thermos bottle. 12 x 40 = 480 .

100,000 / 480 means I gotta jerk that boar off 208 times to cover that fine.

He can be jerked twice a week so that means I gotta do that for 2 years just for one so so chop block .

That ain't right ! :drool:

Holladay
09-10-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm intrigued by the concept of a guy being told, "You play too rough to be a professional football player." That's really saying something.

The NFL fined Suh $30,000 last year for unnecessary roughness when he kicked Houston quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin area. He was suspended two games in 2011 after stomping on Green Bay's Evan Dietrich-Smith

I don't have a problem with aggressive, hardnosed play. But nasty, going to take you out low at the knees and I see you down "accidently" kicking him in the balls is outta bounds. Have you seen where he stomped on that dudes hand with cleats? All totally unnecessary.

Understand it is a violent game and so do the players. I'm just saying the players know more about this then I do. And if someone deliberately stomped on my hand....I'd be pissed and so would my team mates.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Not legal. At all.

It's not legal on any play where there is a change of possession, including punts.

Honestly I don't think this is a new rule. It's been like that as long as I can remember. Pretty sure this one has been around since the 70's.

Second of all he cut the guy from behind...which is pretty much always illegal as well.

It was a horribly dirty play. There's no way after all of these years he doesn't know that.well that changes things

Saccopoo
09-10-2013, 06:14 PM

And yet that piece of shit Warren Sapp goes into the Hall of Fame with the Clifton hit on his resume.

Gravedigger
09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I don't know... that offensive lineman could have very well caught up to the defender... He was a threat so DAMAKUNG had to take him out!

themanwithnoname
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah that was a dirty play. I guess I'm in the minority but I love them trying to protect the head and knees as shit like this just robs us of good players.

There's no way Suh can argue he wasn't deliberately going for the knee either. Its one thing to be a dirty mother ****er its another to keep lying when its very obvious what his intention was.

Also, I can't stand Hines Ward, but I don't remember him being a total shitbag, he'd kinda blindside guys but not really, generally he seemed to block guys straight on or at least get a good portion of their front even when going from the side, and pop them in the chest/shoulder, not dive for their knees or throw his elbows to their faces.

Hmm, checking some of the youtube ones, yeah he'd probably get fined, although while they're hard hits I don't think they're total chickenshit like Suh and some of these others. Plus he seemed to focus doing that to teams that had a habit of being shitheads themselves (like the Ravens). The Reed one kinda was as it seemed like he blocked almost too early and could've just pushed instead of full on spearing him like he did. Actually that's what would have probably gotten him fined is leading with his helmet.

Consistent1
09-10-2013, 09:08 PM

I think so too. He was just reacting. Some people just look at things differently.

Shit happens so fast that I really believe a lot of this type of stuff just comes from guys truly playing hard.

O.city
09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
That's dirty. That's not playing hard or reacting.

Like its discussed here, first off its an illegal play. You can't cut guys on Chang of possession plays. Second, it's behind the ball. Third, it's just a shit way to block the guy. If you are going to cutback on someone like that ( I think is a push way to block but anyway) you hit him right between the numbers, not the knees.

It was a dirty play by a dirty player who continually shows that yes, he is intact a dirty player

Consistent1
09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
That's dirty. That's not playing hard or reacting.

Like its discussed here, first off its an illegal play. You can't cut guys on Chang of possession plays. Second, it's behind the ball. Third, it's just a shit way to block the guy. If you are going to cutback on someone like that ( I think is a push way to block but anyway) you hit him right between the numbers, not the knees.

It was a dirty play by a dirty player who continually shows that yes, he is intact a dirty player

Whatever. I don't even think it was a dirty block.

O.city
09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Hitting a guy from the side and behind, blindsided, below the waist is dirty. It's a career ending block.

LiveSteam
09-10-2013, 09:25 PM
It was not from behind. thats a clip
& back when I played football. (before the pussification) That would have been a clean block on any other play

O.city
09-10-2013, 09:32 PM

If you can't block a guy in his numbers or see his numbers when making the block, it can technically be termed an illegal block in the back.

This wasn't a block in the back, but knowing how most knees are destroyed ( hit from th side, that movement right there) that's a dirty play.

The guy is out of the play as well.

Call it pussification whatever you want, whatever age you played in, that's a dirty play.

O.city
09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
And fwiw, in high school football, it's illegal to cut block outside of the tackle box, and has been for as long as I can remember

At least, if my memory serves me right

Consistent1
09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
And fwiw, in high school football, it's illegal to cut block outside of the tackle box, and has been for as long as I can remember

At least, if my memory serves me right

I still say that Suh was probably gassed from being huge and still went after the guy. It was probably falling down as much as anything. Haha.

As far as the guy being out of the play, maybe, but you don't want your players assuming that.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-10-2013, 09:42 PM

I agree with this. This was like the least dirty play Suh has ever made.

mr. tegu
09-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I still say that Suh was probably gassed from being huge and still went after the guy. It was probably falling down as much as anything. Haha.

As far as the guy being out of the play, maybe, but you don't want your players assuming that.

The play happened at the beginning of the second quarter so I doubt he was gassed.

The Lions got a TD called back because of his idiocy. If he really didn't think the guy was out of the play he should have done something legal like try to get in front of him or at least shoulder bump him to slow him down.

AussieChiefsFan
09-10-2013, 10:42 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/09/suhcheap.gifPure asshole. It takes a special kind of person to do that. I'm amazed Sullivan didn't tear a ligament.

vailpass
09-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Pure asshole. It takes a special kind of person to do that. I'm amazed Sullivan didn't tear a ligament.

Guy plays hard, I'd have him on my team. Needs coaching.

Saccopoo
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Guy plays hard, I'd have him on my team. Needs coaching.

He's a real douche. He has a history of cheap shots and attempts to injure beyond the rules of the game. You can see him look into Sullivan's knees when he goes in. It was completely malicious.

And he's never reached the level of his rookie seasons since then. He's not worth what he's getting paid at this point and the refs and league are now on him like stink on a monkey.

Fuck Suh and fuck Jim Schwartz, who's a world class turd himself who is happy to allow his players to play and conduct themselves with zero discipline and respect for the game.

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Guy plays hard, I'd have him on my team. Needs coaching.True, he IS a very talented player, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a douche who wouldn't want mentoring a rookie.

LiveSteam
09-11-2013, 12:21 AM
JFC its football. American style. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vailpass
09-11-2013, 12:21 AM
True, he IS a very talented player, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a douche who wouldn't want mentoring a rookie.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing
Can't argue with you there.

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 12:22 AM
JFC its football. American style. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not.

Consistent1
09-11-2013, 12:26 AM
The play happened at the beginning of the second quarter so I doubt he was gassed.

The Lions got a TD called back because of his idiocy. If he really didn't think the guy was out of the play he should have done something legal like try to get in front of him or at least shoulder bump him to slow him down.

On the play he was gassed. Going up against other huge dudes calling you a bitch is not easy. I mean really, is just supposed to magically obtain 4.3 forty speed and get in front of him. What the fuck ever, he was at least trying to do something.

There are a lot of guys who wouldn't have done shit. He thought the block was needed. And it all happens FAST.

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 12:27 AM
On the play he was gassed. Going up against other huge dudes calling you a bitch is not easy. I mean really, is just supposed to magically obtain 4.3 forty speed and get in front of him. What the fuck ever, he was at least trying to do something.

There are a lot of guys who wouldn't have done shit. He thought the block was needed. And it all happens FAST.

For most other players, that would be a good point, but it's Suh.

Consistent1
09-11-2013, 12:37 AM
For most other players, that would be a good point, but it's Suh.

Would you take him on the Chiefs?

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Would you take him on the Chiefs?

You know, that's tough. I really think Poe is turning into the player we need him to be. If it was a straight up "Here, have Suh for free" then sure. But if we need to pay him as much as he is getting paid by detroit, then maybe not.

LiveSteam
09-11-2013, 12:50 AM
I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not.

NO I am not. I cant stand the pussification that is becoming the NFL
National Flag League

Consistent1
09-11-2013, 12:55 AM
You know, that's tough. I really think Poe is turning into the player we need him to be. If it was a straight up "Here, have Suh for free" then sure. But if we need to pay him as much as he is getting paid by detroit, then maybe not.

I think questioning it is crazy. He is way better than anyone we have.

He plays like the old school Steeler teams I hated.

Just no regard for anything most people would think is responsible.

The lazy guys are the ones that suck.

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 02:10 AM
NO I am not. I cant stand the pussification that is becoming the NFL
National Flag League

Man that was a cheap shot if I ever saw one. I agree that the rules ate getting ridiculous, but that low hit was horrible. I'm still amazed its only a contusion.

AussieChiefsFan
09-11-2013, 02:13 AM
I think questioning it is crazy. He is way better than anyone we have.

He plays like the old school Steeler teams I hated.

Just no regard for anything most people would think is responsible.

The lazy guys are the ones that suck.

I'm not doubting his ability, but I just hate players that do shit like that. That could have Bern Sullivan's season(s) in one cheap shot.