PDA

View Full Version : Football Egomania Tournament: Round 1, Heat 8

Rain Man
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM
This is a good heat. Lots of variety in egos.

Rain Man
09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm going off the normal grid here.

#1 - Jim McMahon. I still have no idea how that guy went to Brigham Young. He thought well of himself to be a guy who handed off to Sweetness and could win a game with 10 points.

#2 - Joe Horn. He's an obscure one, but it seemed like he was off the charts for a late-round pick from Itawamba Community College. And if you think you can mess with Roaf's wife, well, you've either got a lot of self-confidence or an elephant gun.

#3 - Al Davis. I feel like I should pick him, but I don't know. I think he was just a mild sociopath with hostility issues and a Napoleon complex.

#4 - Steve Smith. Eh, small time.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I agree with most of your takes Rain Man but this one is way off. Al Davis should be the only vote getter in this one well maybe Jim McMahon second.

All that time Al Davis kept Marcus Allen on the bench because of his ego. His ego was bigger than the NFL shield. Doing what he wanted for himself not for the best of NFL.

He put himself over the top.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Al Davis would under mind his coaches all the time. He would call down to the sidelines and order a deep pass regardless of game plan of what the coach had. He didn't care just do it Al Davis way baby.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Instead of Jim McMahon should have gone with the 85 Bears just like 72 Dolphins.

Rain Man
09-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree with most of your takes Rain Man but this one is way off. Al Davis should be the only vote getter in this one well maybe Jim McMahon second.

All that time Al Davis kept Marcus Allen on the bench because of his ego. His ego was bigger than the NFL shield. Doing what he wanted for himself not for the best of NFL.

He put himself over the top.

Yeah, I can see an argument for him, most definitely. I'd forgotten about the Allen thing. I was thinking about the stadium moves, which can be attributed to ego, but I'm not sure the league lawsuits were ego as much as they were pure hatred and vitriol.

What prompted the Allen fight anyway? I don't think I've ever heard the full story. It seemed like Allen was a team player to move to FB when Bo Jackson waltzed into town halfway through every season. What made Al hate Allen so much?

BlackHelicopters
09-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Al Davis, and then the rest.

WhawhaWhat
09-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I voted for Al Davis and Jim McMahon. I always kind of liked Al Davis and his swagger. Still hated the Raiders, but it was an ego I could respect. Jim McMahon won the Super Bowl when I was like 4 years old but everything I have ever seen of him sounds kind of douchey.

So good and bad ego on this one.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I can see an argument for him, most definitely. I'd forgotten about the Allen thing. I was thinking about the stadium moves, which can be attributed to ego, but I'm not sure the league lawsuits were ego as much as they were pure hatred and vitriol.

What prompted the Allen fight anyway? I don't think I've ever heard the full story. It seemed like Allen was a team player to move to FB when Bo Jackson waltzed into town halfway through every season. What made Al hate Allen so much?

From my understanding is that Al Davis thought that Marcus Allen had become bigger than the Raiders. After his run in the Super Bowl against the Redskins for a TD Al Davis felt threatened that Marcus Allen was too popular than what he had put together or bigger than Al Davis.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 10:01 AM
The story was told on A football life with Marcus Allen on ESPN.

Rain Man
09-11-2013, 10:04 AM
From my understanding is that Al Davis thought that Marcus Allen had become bigger than the Raiders. After his run in the Super Bowl against the Redskins for a TD Al Davis felt threatened that Marcus Allen was too popular than what he had put together or bigger than Al Davis.

It started that early? I didn't remember that.

And that's a true ego sign if an owner doesn't want a player to get more attention than him.

Rasputin
09-11-2013, 10:21 AM
It started that early? I didn't remember that.

And that's a true ego sign if an owner doesn't want a player to get more attention than him.

Yeah. Al Davis told his coaches to bury him on the depth charts for running the ball. He wouldn't trade or cut Marcus Allen. So Marcus played full back just to play and blocked for guys like Bo Jackson. Marcus played his full contract out until he was a FA. He was very unhappy and then shoved it down the Raiders throat as a Chief.

Predarat
09-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Al Davis, but loved his overhead projector total trash of Lane Kiffen. That was epicly awesome.

Rain Man
09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Al and Jim move on.