PDA

View Full Version : Life The official 911 rememberance thread

J Diddy
09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm watching some raw footage that I remembered seeing live and it brings back some rough memories.

I saw nothing posted or mentioned about the anniversary and I was shocked.

God bless all those people and the heroes who emerged that day.

CoMoChief
09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah I remember when building 7 came down later that day without it being hit by a jet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Whenever I have class on 9/11 I always have my students read something related. I had the students in my Contemporary Lit class read the first 70 pages of the 9/11 Commission Report to get a sense of the gravity of the day as well as the history of Al Qaeda's formation in the aftermath of the Soviet-Afghan war. I had students in another class read an essay from Esquire called "The Falling Man", about the eponymous photo. I'd highly recommend checking one, the other, or both out.

Titty Meat
09-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Whenever I have class on 9/11 I always have my students read something related. I had the students in my Contemporary Lit class read the first 70 pages of the 9/11 Commission Report to get a sense of the gravity of the day as well as the history of Al Qaeda's formation in the aftermath of the Soviet-Afghan war. I had students in another class read an essay from Esquire called "The Falling Man", about the eponymous photo. I'd highly recommend checking one, the other, or both out.

I don't want to bring politics into this but do any of them ask why we still help Islamic fundmentalist?

J Diddy
09-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I had the honor of being able to have a conversation with Adam Mayblum, who escaped the rubble. He wrote an article, a very powerful article, that reminded me of this day.

Furthermore, any idiot who uses a tragedy to further his conspiracy theories is an imbecile.

Yes, comochief, I'm talking to you.

cosmo20002
09-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Was driving to work and Fatlock was doing his radio show. He announced the first plane hit the tower and said it was thought to be an accident. I thought, "That seems like a pretty unlikely 'accident.'"

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2013, 07:51 PM
I don't want to bring politics into this but do any of them ask why we still help Islamic fundmentalist?

Not really. I try to keep that discussion rather apolitical. I talk to them about how the Afghan resistance was organized, why we did it (proxy wars, Vietnam retribution, etc.) laundering money through the ISI who gave the money to the craziest of crazies, but I refrain from launching bromides about the nature of our foreign policy, instead pointing out the inarguable parts--how it was funded, to whom the ISI gave money, what happened after the Soviets left, how Bin Laden and the Taliban began a symbiotic relationship in the mid 90s, and so on.

I thought it was interesting to get their perspective. I remember it as a college sophomore; they remember it as 1st and 2nd graders.

WRT: The Falling Man, many of them didn't even know there were jumpers.

Titty Meat
09-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I didn't go to school that day the Paola JV team had beat us up pretty good the day before. I was sitting on my couch when I learned what happened. I feel sorry for all those people who lost loved ones that day and the days following. I think where it touches me personally is thinking about my generation that experienced and fought for us because of that day and how a few I know personally will probably never be the same. Hats off to all those brave people.

TribalElder
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WQy3vmp.jpg

Gee thanks Marriott

Dylan
09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/111229095637-9-11-memorial-story-top.jpg

KevB
09-11-2013, 09:57 PM
The Falling Man, many of them didn't even know there were jumpers.

I'm watching the re-hash of the events of that day, and it has my stomach in knots. I'm between sick and in tears watching it again. The jumpers somehow personalized the utter fear and helplessness those people must have felt at that point, and it was very difficult to absorb. RIP to all those lost that day, and I hope their family and friends have been able to find some level of peace these years later.

Coach
09-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Still can't believe it's been 12 years. Still remember it as if it happened yesterday.

Buehler445
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Senior in high school. Government class.

Fucking crazy. Watching that shit still fills me with rage for the senseless suffering brought about.

cosmo20002
09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Gee thanks Marriott

Some golf course was offering 9 holes for $9.11 "in memory of 9/11." Clueless

Simply Red
09-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm watching some raw footage that I remembered seeing live and it brings back some rough memories.

I saw nothing posted or mentioned about the anniversary and I was shocked.

God bless all those people and the heroes who emerged that day.

yes, for certain. :clap:

Jerm
09-11-2013, 10:53 PM
WRT: The Falling Man, many of them didn't even know there were jumpers.

I remember watching a documentary with the two brothers who were following a NYFD crew on the morning...when they're headed into the towers you can hear the most sickening, loud crashing thuds...it gets mentioned almost nonchalantly that those are people jumping from above.

Still haunts me...

hometeam
09-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I didn't wake up until about 6pm that day, had been up until about the time it started, but didn't know anything.

I was flipping through channels and it was on every channel even on cable, and it took a few flips to realize what the fuck was going on. I then woke up the rest of the people in the house and we all sat stunned and watched what had transpired while we where all asleep.

J Diddy
09-11-2013, 11:32 PM
I think the thing that hit me the hardest emotionally tonight was watching a doc on history channel. At one point, after the 1st tower felt the fire fighters were lining up in columns, had a pastor give them rites(or whatever you believe) and they marched forward. Forward to a massive structure that was, at that point, known to be compromised due to the nature of the impact.

And yet they went....

KevB
09-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I think the thing that hit me the hardest emotionally tonight was watching a doc on history channel. At one point, after the 1st tower felt the fire fighters were lining up in columns, had a pastor give them rites(or whatever you believe) and they marched forward. Forward to a massive structure that was, at that point, known to be compromised due to the nature of the impact.

And yet they went....

Yep, as civilians ran away (as they should have), these firemen and policemen put themselves directly into harm's way. Heroes, man. Between that and seeing the people jumping....I'm in tears. I won't sleep tonight, just gut wrenching. I'm watching this 102 minutes doc that isn't narrated, just cuts of various people's personal video with their comments. Brutal to watch.

J Diddy
09-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Yep, as civilians ran away (as they should have), these firemen and policemen put themselves directly into harm's way. Heroes, man. Between that and seeing the people jumping....I'm in tears. I won't sleep tonight, just gut wrenching. I'm watching this 102 minutes doc that isn't narrated, just cuts of various people's personal video with their comments. Brutal to watch.

I imagine. I couldn't handle it. I watched the edited, history channel doc and it brought me to my knees. Unedited real life, I couldn't take.

That being said, bless you for making rememberance a special thing.

big nasty kcnut
09-12-2013, 01:51 AM
I just i can't find the fox news feed of that the raw video of it. I want to remember it like it happened.

09-12-2013, 02:00 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/12/yjytapum.jpg
this is what I found in our atrium at work tonight. Three stories tall.

vailpass
09-12-2013, 02:03 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/12/yjytapum.jpgthis is what I found in our atrium at work tonight. Three stories tall.

Nice.