PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Justin Houston’s rise built on less talk and more work

DaFace
09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/14/4480881/justin-houstons-rise-built-on.html

Justin Houston’s rise built on less talk and more work
September 14
BY SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

Back before Justin Houston became a football star for the Chiefs, he was just a kid from a big family in a small Southern town trying to something nobody in the room was sure he could do.

This is in the weight room, at Georgia, Houston’s junior year. Nobody can quite remember how or why they got to this point but there is 420 pounds of iron in front of Houston. That’s more than the weight of a full-grown lion, and more than anyone had ever power cleaned at Georgia. Football coaches love this lift because it requires raw strength but also disciplined technique, a good indication of the explosiveness required to break through mountainous offensive linemen.

So, Houston stands in front of the weight, deep breath. His hands are so big he isn’t using straps. He bends down, and flings the bar to his shoulders in a fraction of a second. Nobody at Georgia — not a linebacker, not a lineman, not anyone — has ever done this.

“Did that just happen?” Georgia strength coach Dave Van Halanger says to an assistant.

Houston’s college teammates swarm him. They are screaming. Later, Van Halanger will say it’s the best lift of anyone he’s ever trained. That list includes more than 40 NFL first-round draft picks.

Houston, a shy man with 10 brothers and sisters, allows himself to smile a bit. But mostly, he continues working. Houston has always been most comfortable working, preferably with his friends and teammates.

This is part of what is making him so valuable, and beloved, with the Chiefs.

-----

DeAngelo Tyson first met Houston about 13 years ago. Houston was a seventh grader in a small Georgia town called Statesboro. Tyson was a year younger. The boys would grow up together, first starring at Statesboro High and later at Georgia.

But back then, they were just a couple kids who wanted to make the basketball team. Except Houston got cut.

“He was mad because he thought he was better than me,” says Tyson, now a defensive end for the Ravens. “And he was better than me. I couldn’t play basketball. They just got me because I was big.”

There is a bit of what makes Houston tick in that story. He set a goal to make that basketball team, and when he didn’t achieve that goal it shook his world. He also became friends with a younger boy who may have taken his spot, a kid who agreed that Houston was better. And eventually, Houston became good enough at basketball that high school friends assumed he would play the sport at Georgia after football season.

Houston doesn’t let a lot of people in — he didn’t want his mother or any of the other 10 children she raised to talk for this story — but bits and pieces come out in conversations with those who know him.

He is quiet, but would grab younger players by the collar if they weren’t focused at Georgia. He is confident (enough that he wants to break Michael Strahan’s single-season sack record and be thought of on par with Derrick Thomas) but self-aware enough to basically give himself over to teammate Tamba Hali’s tips.

“Justin’s so far ahead mentally,” Hali says.

When Houston is told he can’t, he does. When he’s told he’s not good enough, he improves. That’s what happened at Georgia, when assistant Todd Grantham’s promotion to defensive coordinator meant Houston found himself in a new defense with new responsibilities — namely more coverage, and less regular pass rushing.

He struggled with the adjustment at first. In the long run, it made him a better linebacker because Houston saw the value in the mental side of football. But in the short run, it may have contributed to some criticisms of him coming out of the NFL Draft in 2011.

After Houston declared for the NFL after his junior year, Jon Gruden called him “the most disappointing guy I studied.” Mike Mayock declared himself “not a Justin Houston guy, just on work ethic and hustle.”

The criticisms confused many of those close to Houston — “I never saw what they were saying about him in all the years I’ve been playing with him,” Tyson says — but his high school coach has a theory. Steve Pennington says the switch to a 3-4 defense left Houston thinking more and attacking less. When you’re thinking, you’re moving slower. Maybe that’s what those draft analysts were seeing on video.

Whatever it was, there was also a reported failed marijuana test before the draft. Houston has never gone into specifics about the reports, but after the Chiefs drafted him in the third round — 30 or 40 picks later than he was projected to go at one point — he referenced “a poor decision.”

That is, basically, all that Houston has said. He doesn’t bring the draft up, doesn’t talk about having a chip on his shoulder or something to prove to every team that passed him over.

His mom raised all 11 of her kids this way. Be tough. Not entitled. Nothing is given, everything must be earned. Houston says he still hears his mom’s message — it could be worse — guiding him today.

So Houston worked his way through every step of becoming an NFL star: first absorbing every bit of advice he could from Hali and coaches, then proving himself worthy of every-down play late in his rookie year, then earning enough respect to be named a Pro Bowl alternate last year and now generally carrying a reputation as one of the league’s best linebackers.

In that way, Houston’s rise in the NFL world is a lot like him as a man: understated, violent on the field, unassuming off of it, and built primarily on hard work.

-----

A few reporters are waiting by Justin Houston’s locker, ready for him to look into their cameras and tell them what it means to win the AFC defensive player of the week award after sacking Jacksonville quarterback Blaine Gabbert three times.

In the privacy of the Chiefs locker room, coach Andy Reid announced the award and let Houston say a few words. By all accounts, he used every one of them to thank his teammates. This is the way Houston talks about football — I couldn't have done it without my teammates.

Once in front of the media, a radio reporter asks Houston about himself and the answer is 20 words long. When a TV reporter asks Houston about Hali, the answer is 41 words long.

This is how Houston prefers things. Simple. Focused on others. He’s in a good spot for that, by the way. Hali is the one with the big contract and more national recognition, even as Hali (and others around the league) openly talk of Houston being the better player.

Houston’s low-profile should not be taken as overt humility, though. This is a gifted athlete with an NFL ego, just one that doesn’t come out with public bragging or extensively choreographed sack dances — witness his, well, what exactly was that thing he did after his sacks last week?

Houston keeps that ego mostly inside himself, letting it spill out during games. But challenge him, and you’ll see. It’s why he’s dead serious about chasing Strahan’s record and Thomas’ legend.

And it’s why Houston won’t hesitate when asked if he can power clean more than 420 pounds now.

“I haven’t tried since that day,” he says. “But catch me during the offseason. I can do more than that.”

DaFace
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Between Houston and Poe, I'm actually starting to be excited about watching this defense in the coming years. We'd better lock the kid up soon before he gets even more expensive.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 12:45 PM
He's as good as Shawne Merriman was on roids. That's who he reminds me of.

Consistent1
09-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Damn. Cleaning 420 is nuts. I used to be able to deadlift that much about 12-15 times a set, but to clean it. Unreal. That is seriously crazy if it's true. Guy is a beast.

Consistent1
09-14-2013, 12:50 PM
He's as good as Shawne Merriman was on roids. That's who he reminds me of.

Great that you're being positive.

Chiefspants
09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Awesome read, thanks for posting this, DaFace!

Jive Ass
09-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Understated is right. He's just going to get better. Great read.

Buehler445
09-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Yep. Love that attitude. Just keep killing QBs.

I agree though. Lock the kid up. Preferably yesterday.

-King-
09-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Him and Hali look like they have a great mentor-mentee relationship. Cool to see a guy with all that talent still trying to learn from a teammate.

BlackHelicopters
09-14-2013, 01:28 PM
If he stays healthy, he could br great.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Great that you're being positive.

I've always been a Houston fan. Since day one. Dude is a fucking beast. Gives me wood.

SAUTO
09-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Lock him up as soon as we can
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
09-14-2013, 02:40 PM
My next authentic Chiefs Jersey.

rico
09-14-2013, 02:42 PM
http://ricoswaff.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chiefs-celebration-11-12-12.gif

SeeingRed
09-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Cool article. This defense is exciting

SeeingRed
09-14-2013, 03:07 PM
By the way a 420 lbs power clean is freaky as hell

Halfcan
09-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Great player with an even better attitude!

CoMoChief
09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Dorsey's gonna have to do some wheelin' and dealin' in the offseason.

I think money wise, it'd be best to trade Hali away if he doesn't restructure. Esp if he's past his prime and he starts only getting 8-10 sacks a season. He makes too much money for that kind of production.

DaFace
09-14-2013, 03:31 PM

I think money wise, it'd be best to trade Hali away if he doesn't restructure. Esp if he's past his prime and he starts only getting 8-10 sacks a season. He makes too much money for that kind of production.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree. If it comes down to Houston vs. Hali, there's no question who should walk.

SeeingRed
09-14-2013, 03:35 PM
but for now we got em both! ;-)

BryanBusby
09-14-2013, 03:36 PM
420 pounds, of all numbers lol

Fairplay
09-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Houston seems undersized to me.

Bob Dole
09-14-2013, 03:41 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree. If it comes down to Houston vs. Hali, there's no question who should walk.

Just like with Thomas and Smith, Bob Dole thinks you need the pair. Focus on one and the other makes you pay.

Fairplay
09-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Yep

BlackHelicopters
09-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Rain falls from clouds. / Mellinger

DaFace
09-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Just like with Thomas and Smith, Bob Dole thinks you need the pair. Focus on one and the other makes you pay.

I certainly don't disagree, but Houston's due a BIG payday, and Hali is currently making almost as much as Peyton Manning. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll both love playing together enough to sign for a little less than they'd get in free agency, but I doubt it.

threebag
09-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I think Hali would restructure.

milkman
09-14-2013, 04:36 PM
I certainly don't disagree, but Houston's due a BIG payday, and Hali is currently making almost as much as Peyton Manning. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll both love playing together enough to sign for a little less than they'd get in free agency, but I doubt it.

I agree with the dumbass that posted after you.

Hali, as much as anyone, appears to be about the team.

SeeingRed
09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Houston seems undersized to me.

think so? for on OLB? ok Hali weighs 275 and Houston is 250 but the guy is solid muscle and I dont see anybody pushing him around. He plays big and thats what matters no? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Houston is not 250. He's at least 270 and and I bet he's pushing 3 bills. The guy is built like a Giant Redwood tree.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Look. At. This. Monster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Justin_Houston.jpg

mdchiefsfan
09-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Houston is not 250. He's at least 270 and and I bet he's pushing 3 bills. The guy is built like a Giant Redwood tree.

That is twice you have used the word "wood" within 30 posts in this thread.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 05:02 PM
That is twice you have used the word "wood" within 30 posts in this thread.

I will follow him.

mdchiefsfan
09-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I will follow him.

LMAO

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
His sack total is only dwarfed by Vonn Millers BAC on his last DUI.

Easy 6
09-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Fun read, glad to see Mellinger filling Blabbs role in enjoyable "behind the helmet" hype pieces.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I pretty much purposefully didn't make a Houston video last offseason...because I knew if I combined 2011, 2012 and 2013 it would be turn out to be an incredibly badass piece of quarterback rape cinema.

vailpass
09-14-2013, 05:38 PM
By the way a 420 lbs power clean is freaky as hell

Unreal. Bones should break.

DaFace
09-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I agree with the dumbass that posted after you.

Hali, as much as anyone, appears to be about the team.

Definitely hope so. It'd be a lot of fun to watch those two guys work together for another 5+ years.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2013, 05:42 PM
raperaperaperaperape

http://i.imgur.com/lKJeT3u.gif

Rasputin
09-14-2013, 06:00 PM
420 pounds, of all numbers lol

Bump/Bump

-King-
09-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Why wouldn't Hali restructure?

1) Restructuring a contract doesn't mean lost money 90% of the time

2) Hali doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would bail over a contract

Consistent1
09-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Unreal. Bones should break.

If he really did that, it is crazy. I have never in person seen anyone get near that. I would do sets of cleans with 225, and that is bad enough. Dude could be an Olympic lifter if that story is true.

Bad ass dude no matter what.

vailpass
09-14-2013, 06:52 PM
If he really did that, it is crazy. I have never in person seen anyone get near that. I would do sets of cleans with 225, and that is bad enough. Dude could be an Olympic lifter if that story is true.

Bad ass dude no matter what.

Yes.