PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs After two games, where does our defense need to improve?

Trivers
09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Besides giving up one big "non catch" catch pass play, we kept Dallas out of end zone.

After two games, we've given up only one, repeat one, touchdown.

What are your thoughts on the KC D?

Where do we need to improve?

Deberg_1990
09-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Nowhere really. In today's relaxed defense, favor the offense NFL, these last two weeks are about as good as a team can play defense.

A Salt Weapon
09-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I'd like to see more QB pressure against good lines

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
B Flo will get man handled by big physical WRs when they beat the jam, Lewis is inconsistent with his coverage, and Sean Smith is burnt toast when goes up against WRs with elite speed.

Bugeater
09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Not enough rape.

|Zach|
09-15-2013, 03:22 PM
They are playing pretty damn well I feel good about them.

I love the way they swarm to the ball and they seem to be good tacklers which is huge.

The pressure could be a bit more consistent but hey...to play defense like that in today's NFL? I don't have a lot of complaints.

Rasputin
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Kendrick Lewis needs to learn to wrap up and tackle better but he did ok on some plays too.

Rasputin
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Not enough rape.

More of this!

Mama Hip Rockets
09-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Flowers needs to not suck every single play of the game when he goes against good WRs.

AussieChiefsFan
09-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Other than Flowers letting up some big plays to Dez, I think this D is playing magnificently.

Mav
09-15-2013, 03:25 PM
You always have to improve. If you aren't getting better, you are getting worse.

big nasty kcnut
09-15-2013, 03:25 PM
I say keep focused and be glad when dunta get back in rotation.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2013, 03:26 PM
More turnovers. We need to find some way to score more points since our QB isn't generating drives.

Easy 6
09-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Not too impressed with some of Flowers work, he needs to tighten up against the elite guys.

Other than that its hard to bitch, we held the boys to 37! total rush yards... that my friends is OWNAGE.

Wallcrawler
09-15-2013, 03:29 PM
FINISH THE PLAY.

I saw so many plays today where the ends were coming in and after a few seconds, just having the motor shift way down. Then they realize Romo still has the ball, then they decide to try to get him again, and he gets the ball out, when had they been moving their asses like they should, they may have gotten him or at least disrupted the play.

Cant stand that half assed effort.

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Not too impressed with some of Flowers work, he needs to tighten up against the elite guys.

Other than that its hard to bitch, we held the boys to 37! total rush yards... that my friends is OWNAGE.

Poe is evolving into our version of Haloti Ngata/ Casey Hampton

milkman
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
More turnovers. We need to find some way to score more points since our QB isn't generating drives.

Alex Smith is not good enough from my perspective, but is not responsible for today's inability to sustain drives.

Playcalling and poor protection were the culprits today.

scho63
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Besides giving up one big "non catch" catch pass play, we kept Dallas out of end zone.

After two games, we've given up only one, repeat one, touchdown.

What are your thoughts on the KC D?

Where do we need to improve?

1. Flowers can't cover a guy like Dez one-on-one. He was humiliated out there and the biggest reason we won was because Dez dropped a perfectly easy pass.

2. We allowed Romo 2-3x's as much time to pass as Dallas allowed Smith. We got lucky on that.

3. Our tackling was GREAT today. I didn't see any missed tackles expect for one early in the game.

4. I like what I am seeing!

That is all....

KC_Lee
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Tighten up the secondary.

Easy 6
09-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Poe is evolving into our version of Haloti Ngata/ Casey Hampton

He has Hampton size but plays like Sapp... it might be a little early to say, but i'm starting to think we have the premier NT in the league.

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2013, 03:35 PM
He has Hampton size but plays like Sapp... it might be a little early to say, but i'm starting to think we have the premier NT in the league.

IMO, Poe's built very similar to Ngata hence the comparison. If anything he moves like Cortez Kennedy.

A Salt Weapon
09-15-2013, 03:37 PM
FINISH THE PLAY.

I saw so many plays today where the ends were coming in and after a few seconds, just having the motor shift way down. Then they realize Romo still has the ball, then they decide to try to get him again, and he gets the ball out, when had they been moving their asses like they should, they may have gotten him or at least disrupted the play.

Cant stand that half assed effort.

This! Glad to see I wasn't the only one getting frustrated seeing that.

jd1020
09-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Flowers is never going to be good against guys like Dez, Megatron, etc... He lacks the physical traits to match up with them.

Planetman
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
http://s12.postimg.org/qzorp1a25/romo_fumble.gif

58-4ever
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Moar red on red.

Easy 6
09-15-2013, 03:41 PM
IMO, Poe's built very similar to Ngata hence the comparison. If anything he moves like Cortez Kennedy.

Yeah, I meant to say Ngata size, but I think you're short selling his quickness with the Kennedy comparison, he consistently gets into the backfield within two seconds like Sapp used to... dude is FREAK quick for his size.

Easy 6
09-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Flowers is never going to be good against guys like Dez, Megatron, etc... He lacks the physical traits to match up with them.

Agreed, pure speed was never his calling card, maybe they need to start playing him off a little more against guys like that.

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I meant to say Ngata size, but I think you're short selling his quickness with the Kennedy comparison, he consistently gets into the backfield within two seconds like Sapp used to... dude is FREAK quick for his size.

It's not a knock on Poe at all, Cortez is a HOFer

jspchief
09-15-2013, 03:45 PM
fwiw, Bryant is one of the best wrs in the league. Not many CBs can be left on an island with him.

Other than being too slow to give Flowers help, I'm ok with our d this week.

|Zach|
09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
fwiw, Bryant is one of the best wrs in the league. Not many CBs can be left on an island with him.

Yea, was thinking that as well...having him lined up against you is not the norm.

Reerun_KC
09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Flowers... He got roasted time and time again today...

He was either behind the WR, late on the play or just flat out getting worked...

Dude needs to man up.

Planetman
09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Flowers... He got roasted time and time again today...

He was either behind the WR, late on the play or just flat out getting worked...

Dude needs to man up.
Flowers looked like he was running in quicksand against Bryant. Pretty sad.

ChiefGator
09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Hopefully Sean Smith continues to learn and get better under our coaches. Otherwise we will likely be using a top 2 round pick on a corner back next year.

notorious
09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Yep, Flowers got destroyed by Dez.

Rasputin
09-15-2013, 03:49 PM
http://s12.postimg.org/qzorp1a25/romo_fumble.gif

That is the play that got me all fired up and excited we could win today.

jd1020
09-15-2013, 03:49 PM

That wasn't Berry.

notorious
09-15-2013, 03:50 PM

This.

But we ened up losing 10 yards and punting after 3 plays after that fumble. LMAO

Reerun_KC
09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Flowers looked like he was running in quicksand against Bryant. Pretty sad.

Bryant is a mental case beast....

He was their only offense today... So considering that, we did pretty good.

ThaVirus
09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I was disappointed in Flowers today but he was one-on-one literally the entire game with one of the best receivers in the game. We bitch a lot about him giving up big plays to Dez, but by him taking on their number 1 guy by himself, he allowed us to take that other defender (that most teams would put on Dez) and put him elsewhere. That, I think, is a big part of the reason Witten and Austin did next to nothing.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Bryant had 100 yards in the first quarter & 41 the next three. Go suck a dick, reactionist dipshits. Adjustment were made.

~beer brave

Mr. Laz
09-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Bryant had 100 yards in the first quarter & 41 the next three. Go suck a dick reactionist dipshits. Adjustment were made.

~beer brave
we did adjust some but a lot of that was Dallas just stopped going there as much.

stupid Cowboys LMAO

jd1020
09-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Bryant had 100 yards in the first quarter & 41 the next three. Go suck a dick, reactionist dipshits. Adjustment were made.

~beer brave

Thanks for trying to involve other receivers and abandoning what was working Dallas /Chiefs

Mr. Laz
09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
I think Demps should start instead of Lewis

get him in there during practice this week so he can learn the plays(look confused today) and just put him in there. I think Demps has some potential and i'm not sure Lewis will do anymore than he is now.

Reerun_KC

~beer brave

Ground breaking post and information here....

Obvious moron is still obvious....

OrtonsPiercedTaint
I don't think the dropped 4th quarter reception was an accident.

~Flowers sweaty ball hugger

Easy 6
09-15-2013, 04:00 PM

~beer brave

A damn fair point, but he did get lucky on that third down drop late in the game.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Ground breaking post and information here....

Obvious moron is still obvious....

Herm Edwards

:LOL:

notorious
09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I just laughed when Dez dropped that pass.

Terrell Owens Part Deux.

Reerun_KC
09-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I just laughed when Dez dropped that pass.

Terrell Owens Part Deux.

Bryant is a mental case beast....

He was their only offense today... So considering that, we did pretty good.

Dallas was their own worst enemy today.... Then again, we put a shit ton of pressure on Homo in the second half.

xztop123
09-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Dez Bryant is really an impossible palyer to zero blitz. there arent really any other guys like him in the NFL maybe Calvin...... also we have no slot corner with Daunta out.

Kendrick Lewis sucks at tackling but thats because he's really like another corner out there which i'd prefer any way.

kcjayhawks5
09-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Not enough rape.

This. Not near enough rape from the chuefs

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I was disappointed in Flowers today but he was one-on-one literally the entire game with one of the best receivers in the game. We bitch a lot about him giving up big plays to Dez, but by him taking on their number 1 guy by himself, he allowed us to take that other defender (that most teams would put on Dez) and put him elsewhere. That, I think, is a big part of the reason Witten and Austin did next to nothing.

Two things struck me about today:
1) Why didn't the Chiefs adjust on Bryant? You're right, no double team help. I would have liked to have seen what Smith can do too, because he can actually match up to Bryant's size
2) Bill Callahan is a horrible playcaller. Dez was having his way. The Cowboys gameplan did NOTHING to try to get the ball into his hands

The Chiefs need to figure this out. Because a good playcaller is going to expose this kind of mismatch in ways Dallas did not.

MotherfuckerJones
09-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Brandon Flowers needs a growth spurt

NJChiefsFan
09-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Haven't been on the same page a few times. The CB's need to play the ball more. Also, time the blitzes better. In an effort to disguise them, sometimes the blitzes are starting from too far away. It's one thing to delay and weight for the Oline to pick up assignments, but some of these are starting way too late or way too deep. The defense is showing all the signs of a unit that is only going to get better.

bricks
09-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Not enough rape.

9 sacks in two games isn't rape?

RunKC
09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
The DE's were basically non-exhistent today.

We need to get one of them rolling. Poe is the only force on the line at this point.

ThaVirus
09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Two things struck me about today:
1) Why didn't the Chiefs adjust on Bryant? You're right, no double team help. I would have liked to have seen what Smith can do too, because he can actually match up to Bryant's size
2) Bill Callahan is a horrible playcaller. Dez was having his way. The Cowboys gameplan did NOTHING to try to get the ball into his hands

The Chiefs need to figure this out. Because a good playcaller is going to expose this kind of mismatch in ways Dallas did not.

I was a bit worried about the lack of adjustment concerning Flowers as well, but at the end of the day it worked out OK. Dez went off for 100 yards and the TD in the first quarter and then 40-something yards and no TDs in the subsequent quarters.

I'd guess that was our coaches just putting trust in their number 1 CB and sticking with the gameplan.

JimNasium
09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
http://hopewearsheels.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/eeyore-1.gifMore turnovers. We need to find some way to score more points since our QB isn't generating drives.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Um, shouldn't there be a thread like this devoted to the offense?

Marcellus
09-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Um, shouldn't there be a thread like this devoted to the offense?

Shouldn't you be drinking AIDS infested anitfreeze?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Shouldn't you be drinking AIDS infested anitfreeze?

Shouldn't you be leading the True Fan Parade up AIDS-whore alley?

Marcellus
09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Shouldn't you be leading the True Fan Parade up AIDS-whore alley?

Im sorry we are 2-0.

LMAO

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 06:45 PM
I had one concern: Romo seemed to have tons and tons of time to throw all game long. While points are what really matter, no question about it, you don't want to let the opposing QB hit on 70% of his passes. And he wasn't just dinking and dunking it.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
The DE's were basically non-exhistent today.

We need to get one of them rolling. Poe is the only force on the line at this point.

What?

37 yards rushing says you're wrong.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
DeVito was out for a portion of the game, that probably had something to do with the perception about the d-ends.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I had one concern: Romo seemed to have tons and tons of time to throw all game long. While points are what really matter, no question about it, you don't want to let the opposing QB hit on 70% of his passes. And he wasn't just dinking and dunking it.

They were more concerned with covering the receivers than sending the heat towards the end.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2013, 06:51 PM

This team should be vastly improved in the second half of the season on both sides of the ball.

What seems to be forgotten amongst the new schemes, a new coaching staff and 30 new players is the fact that offseason practices and training camp practices were drastically reduced under the new CBA. The Chiefs are way behind the curve in that regard.

The fact that the team has had its moments of greatness and is 2-0 is extremely encouraging long term.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 06:54 PM
They were more concerned with covering the receivers than sending the heat towards the end.Yep.

They did send some pressure at key moments, too. But there's a certain measure of luck involved with our success today (like Dez's drop late).

But that's fine, it would take every bounce all season going our way just to balance out last year's luck in the other direction. We're overdue some good fortune.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Holding the Cowboys to 16 points and 37 yards rushing is no small feat.

Marcellus
09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Other than Bryant on Flowers? Nada.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Other than Bryant on Flowers? Nada.

Sean Smith would have had multiple penalties that would have extended drives.

Great receivers will have great days.

The Bronco are particularly worrisome but fortunately, that's months away.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Holding the Cowboys to 16 points and 37 yards rushing is no small feat.16 points, yes. The rushing? Exactly what I expected. They can't run the ball at all, and it's going to be a problem all season.

(You could maybe say the same thing about us, too, unfortunately)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Yep.

They did send some pressure at key moments, too. But there's a certain measure of luck involved with our success today (like Dez's drop late).

But that's fine, it would take every bounce all season going our way just to balance out last year's luck in the other direction. We're overdue some good fortune.

I didn't get tuned in until the network switched, but what I did see was ugly, ugly football and a lot of damned good fortune even though it was patently obvious that the refs continue their longstanding "impartiality" when it comes to all plays KC Chiefs.
You take the bounces and the wins when they come, but this team needs polish and has a way to go yet. At least they have finally learned to compete for 4 quarters.

Wallcrawler
09-15-2013, 07:07 PM
16 points, yes. The rushing? Exactly what I expected. They can't run the ball at all, and it's going to be a problem all season.

Big difference.

Dallas CANT run the ball.

We just choose not to, for reasons only known to Andy Reid. One dimensional by choice, and he's been doing it for years now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
There are certain matchups in this league that just are what they are. Flowers has defended admirably against some very good receivers throughout his career. Perhaps Dez just happens to be his huckleberry.

Marcellus
16 points, yes. The rushing? Exactly what I expected. They can't run the ball at all, and it's going to be a problem all season.

Seriously?

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I didn't get tuned in until the network switched, but what I did see was ugly, ugly football and a lot of damned good fortune even though it was patently obvious that the refs continue their longstanding "impartiality" when it comes to all plays KC Chiefs.
You take the bounces and the wins when they come, but this team needs polish and has a way to go yet. At least they have finally learned to compete for 4 quarters.There wasn't that much good fortune. The Chiefs won that game today. Our Awf-fense is, well, offensive, but the defense was a real bitch for Dallas after that first drive, particularly after halftime. Two huge forced fumbles really won the game, although the offense got just enough yards and took just enough time off the clock that a perfect punt by Colquitt sealed it.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Seriously?Yes. I think Dallas' running game will be as bad in 2013 as they were in 2012.

(They were 31st in yards and tied for 30th in yards/carry last year)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 07:16 PM
There wasn't that much good fortune. The Chiefs won that game today. Our Awf-fense is, well, offensive, but the defense was a real bitch for Dallas after that first drive, particularly after halftime. Two huge forced fumbles really won the game, although the offense got just enough yards and took just enough time off the clock that a perfect punt by Colquitt sealed it.

Well, the fortune went both ways for sure, but didn't it seem to you that the majority of the calls against KC were coming on huge, turning point-type plays?

If nothing else, this game was a testament to just what a badass Dustin Colquitt is. Sweet Jesus; he's a surgeon.

Marcellus
09-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes. I think Dallas' running game will be as bad in 2013 as they were in 2012.

(They were 31st in yards and tied for 30th in yards/carry last year)

You think we wont be in the top 10?

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Well, the fortune went both ways for sure, but didn't it seem to you that the majority of the calls against KC were coming on huge, turning point-type plays? I think if we were Dallas fans we'd probably believe the key calls all went against the Cowboys. That's just the nature of football. And fans.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I think if we were Dallas fans we'd probably believe the key calls all went against the Cowboys. That's just the nature of football. And fans.

I get your point, but it seems like the breaks we got were the kind that allowed you to grind out your 10's, and perhaps put it away, as opposed to, "the Chiefs have just shut this game down, it's over".

The call on Berry was just ludicrous.

That said, I'm a superstitious fan who has had it in for the refs of this league since the mid-90's.

SAUTO
09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
You think we wont be in the top 10?

Running?
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:25 PM
You think we wont be in the top 10?Our rushing offense? Maybe. Although more of it needs to come from the backs. If Alex Smith keeps running (and getting hit...) this much he won't make it through the season. The reality is that we couldn't run the ball at all until the final drive. If I remember correctly, 44 of Charles 55 yards came at the end of the game. The rest of the game he had 8 carries for 11 yards. While it was no doubt a key to the win, and I'm not trying to diminish it, it would be nice if they'd start opening up some running lanes during the first 56 minutes of play...

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I get your point, but it seems like the breaks we got were the kind that allowed you to grind out your 10's, and perhaps put it away, as opposed to, "the Chiefs have just shut this game down, it's over".

The call on Berry was just ludicrous.

That said, I'm a superstitious fan who has had it in for the refs of this league since the mid-90's.I've always been a follower of the "you need to put the game far enough out of reach that bad calls don't matter" school of thought. If we'd have lost late, it wouldn't have been the ref's fault. It would have been a failure to score points when we repeatedly had possession on Dallas' half of the field (IIRC, we had 8 possessions on their side of the 50, and only scored 17 points....)

notorious
09-15-2013, 07:31 PM
How many first downs did we get after the first drive?

Oh, and I was disappointed that we didn't go for it on the first 4th and short.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:33 PM
How many first downs did we get after the first drive?

Oh, and I was disappointed that we didn't go for it on the first 4th and short.Me too. I was sure that was going to cost us the game. Would have been a great time for a season-defining kind of statement.

Of course, it's easy to say that. The flip side of that is if we get stuffed on 4th and inches and hand them the ball, there's every chance that that ends up being a defining play, and the game doesn't turn out the way it did.

Glad I don't have to make those decisions.

Marcellus
09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Our rushing offense? Maybe. Although more of it needs to come from the backs. If Alex Smith keeps running (and getting hit...) this much he won't make it through the season. The reality is that we couldn't run the ball at all until the final drive. If I remember correctly, 44 of Charles 55 yards came at the end of the game. The rest of the game he had 8 carries for 11 yards. While it was no doubt a key to the win, and I'm not trying to diminish it, it would be nice if they'd start opening up some running lanes during the first 56 minutes of play...

So we could be a top 10 rushing offense that has trouble running the ball.

ThaVirus
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
We won't be top 10 in rushing this season. Between this shoddy offensive line and Reid's complete lack of commitment to the ground game, we're probably looking at bottom half or worse.

keg in kc
09-15-2013, 07:41 PM
So we could be a top 10 rushing offense that has trouble running the ball.Are you being intentionally obtuse? Of course they won't be a top 10 rushing offense if they continue having trouble. That's why I said "maybe". As in "maybe, if they work out the problems they've had so far, and if they don't pass it 150 more times than they run it".

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I've always been a follower of the "you need to put the game far enough out of reach that bad calls don't matter" school of thought. If we'd have lost late, it wouldn't have been the ref's fault. It would have been a failure to score points when we repeatedly had possession on Dallas' half of the field (IIRC, we had 8 possessions on their side of the 50, and only scored 17 points....)

True. When the defense creates opportunities, you MUST capitalize. EVERY TIME. Even if you're only throwing 3 up.

Well, perhaps our "soon to be Top 10 Offense"(LMAO) will begin delivering on this.

JFC...:doh!:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Some of you are seriously underestimating Smith's ability to get his shit pushed in.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-15-2013, 08:26 PM
We need to play the Jaguars every week. 250 yards against Oakland

milkman
09-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Some of you are seriously underestimating Smith's ability to get his shit pushed in.

We both hate the Smith trade.

But try to be objective.

This O-Line was bad today, which had far more to do with offensive struggles in this game than Smith.

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2013, 08:37 PM

But try to be objective.

This O-Line was bad today, which had far more to do with offensive struggles in this game than Smith.

They were bad. But there were also too many plays where there were more rushers than blockers. You wonder how many of those QB hurries and sacks could have been avoided through better pre-snap reads.

milkman
09-15-2013, 08:46 PM
They were bad. But there were also too many plays where there were more rushers than blockers. You wonder how many of those QB hurries and sacks could have been avoided through better pre-snap reads.

True, but centers share some of the pre-snap assignment adjustment responsibilities.

Dayze
09-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Everywhere they got pushed around all game

Sorter
09-15-2013, 09:25 PM
We won't be top 10 in rushing this season. Between this shoddy offensive line and Reid's complete lack of commitment to the ground game, we're probably looking at bottom half or worse.

I expect both of these things to change as the season progresses.

Especially if Alex Smith proves to be a viable option and we see less of 8 or 9 man boxes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 09:27 PM
The 4th quarter told me everything I need to know about who Reid trusts when the game is up for grabs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2013, 09:28 PM

But try to be objective.

If it is/was as bad as you say, then it is yet another testament to Charles.

O.city
09-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Especially if Alex Smith proves to be a viable option and we see less of 8 or 9 man boxes.

It was encouraging that when they knew we were runnin it late, we gt in behind our pads and ran it at them with success

Coach
09-15-2013, 09:35 PM

But try to be objective.

Yeah, I am one of the folks that didn't like the Smith trade, but the O-Line didn't give him a fair chance at times. Plus, Dallas was blitzing and the pre-snap assignments were not done correctly.

I'm aware Hudson is still technically a "rookie" since he didn't play at all last year. So there'll be a learning curve for him to get it. But what I am thankful for Smith at this point is that he's not "Cassel'ing" it. He's moving out of the pocket and isn't afraid to run if he has to.

If Smith keeps playing consistent like what he did the last two games, I'll gladly take it any time. Loved the part where he took off running, and dived for the first down, and got spun in midair.

ThaVirus
09-15-2013, 11:17 PM

Here's hoping..

Chiefs=Champions
09-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Witten did shit all today. Berry and the backers did a great job on him.

Chiefs=Champions
09-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Id like to see us rush Houston a bit more. hard to do as hes a good cover guy too and we obviously were short a nickleback today.. But nevertheless Hali was getting chipped all day. Either that or we need to try Bailey or Cat more, jackson is still utterly useless at rushing the passer.

Tribal Warfare
09-16-2013, 12:33 AM

He'll get RG3ed if he keeps up this playing style or out for the year with a concussion on a run. The defense will be going for killshots

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Something just occurred to me: throwing aside the fact that Jax week one was like a scrimmage, could a part of the defense's success so far be that it's a new scheme that's night-and-day different than the old, along with the fact that Sutton has never coordinated before, so nobody really has any idea yet what we're doing or how to prepare for us? I wonder if we'll start to see opposing units be a little more successful over the next few weeks as more things go on tape.

AussieChiefsFan
09-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Something just occurred to me: throwing aside the fact that Jax week one was like a scrimmage, could a part of the defense's success so far be that it's a new scheme that's night-and-day different than the old, along with the fact that Sutton has never coordinated before, so nobody really has any idea yet what we're doing or how to prepare for us? I wonder if we'll start to see opposing units be a little more successful over the next few weeks as more things go on tape.

Quite possible. But you could argue a similar case with Philly's "up-tempo" offense.

9er guy
09-16-2013, 01:18 AM
They have to figure out what they want to do in regards to safety help. You can't keep leaving Flowers on an island with these receivers.

It almost cost them big today.

Sorter
09-16-2013, 01:52 AM

Really doubt that.

TheSourceX1
09-16-2013, 01:57 AM
It was tough to watch Flowers get beat today. I can only imagine what would've happened if he kept his footing and picked the 1st pass to Dez ... oh well ... hopefully this helping of humble pie will make him step up for the rest of the year.

Chiefs=Champions
09-16-2013, 02:02 AM

No, no. It's basically the Jets scheme.

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Quite possible. But you could argue a similar case with Philly's "up-tempo" offense.I definitely would argue that for Philly's offense, and I think the same was true for the read-option last year. There's a reason so many teams have recently hired consultants with experience with college offenses (both to run them and defend them).

Obviously both rosters (our defense and their offense) are also quite talented, so that's part of their success, as well.

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 02:09 AM
No, no. It's basically the Jets scheme.It may be, but it's being run here, with a number of players doing things differently than they'd been asked to do them before 2013. Like Dontari Poe, just as one example. Even with his improvement in the final 5 games of last season, who would have expected his performance through two games this year. He's certainly benefited greatly from the removal of the read-react scheme. Teams can start plan for that now in a way that Jacksonville and, to a lesser degree, Dallas may not have. Ditto for the improved performance from Tyson Jackson.

Anyway, it was just a thought, not really something to argue one way or another. More of a curiousity.

AussieChiefsFan
09-16-2013, 02:13 AM
I definitely would argue that for Philly's offense, and I think the same was true for the read-option last year. There's a reason so many teams have recently hired consultants with experience with college offenses (both to run them and defend them).

Obviously both rosters (our defense and their offense) are also quite talented, so that's part of their success, as well.

The reason I believe that we won't lose by a large margin, and could win this game, is that while our offense was slow today at times, look what they did to a worse defense last week. That could be them vs Philly, maybe just not to that extent.

Sorter
09-16-2013, 02:13 AM
It may be, but it's being run here, with a number of players doing things differently than they'd been asked to do them before 2013. Like Dontari Poe, just as one example. Even with his improvement in the final 5 games of last season, who would have expected his performance through two games this year. He's certainly benefited greatly from the removal of the read-react scheme. Teams can start plan for that now in a way that Jacksonville and, to a lesser degree, Dallas may not have. Ditto for the improved performance from Tyson Jackson.

Anyway, it was just a thought, not really something to argue one way or another. More of a curiousity.

The biggest issue for teams is their comparison now between the 2 sets of film and determine tendencies based on personnel, field location, situation, and down/distance.

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 02:19 AM
The reason I believe that we won't lose by a large margin, and could win this game, is that while our offense was slow today at times, look what they did to a worse defense last week. That could be them vs Philly, maybe just not to that extent.The offense punted 10 times last week against a worse defense, so I'm not sure that makes me feel all that much better.

JCharles1981
09-16-2013, 02:20 AM
No real improvement needed from what I've seen. Although, I found it bizarre that the refs were ignoring offensive line holds against our D for the majority of the second half. It's almost as if they were TRYING to help Dallas win.

AussieChiefsFan
09-16-2013, 02:20 AM
The offense punted 10 times last week against a worse defense, so I'm not sure that makes me feel all that much better.

How many of those were in the second half?

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 02:21 AM
How many of those were in the second half?6 or 7. They only had 1 sustained drive in that game (which makes it eerily similar to this week - I thought they were actually better today, although still not good).

AussieChiefsFan
09-16-2013, 02:25 AM
6 or 7. They only had 1 sustained drive in that game (which makes it eerily similar to this week - I thought they were actually better today, although still not good).

Well the 21 first half points last week is promising at least. I'm just saying that if the D holds, then the offense, in my mind, could put up enough points to win this. Not saying they will, considering all the circumstances, but its not out of reach IMO.

Rausch
09-16-2013, 02:37 AM
Well the 21 first half points last week is promising at least. I'm just saying that if the D holds, then the offense, in my mind, could put up enough points to win this.

Any team that only allows 1 TD a game will likely win.

I don't expect that to be the norm for the rest of the season.

keg in kc
09-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Well the 21 first half points last week is promising at least. I'm just saying that if the D holds, then the offense, in my mind, could put up enough points to win this. Not saying they will, considering all the circumstances, but its not out of reach IMO.I've said this probably too many times today, but they had the ball 8 times in Dallas territory this afternoon and came out of it with 17 points. I think that pretty much balances out last week's scoring when the defense handed them the ball twice in Jacksonville territory.

They're great in the red zone so far. But they're terrible between the twenties. They're getting a pass right now because the defense keeps handing them the ball in plus territory. Life will get a lot easier (on both sides of the ball) if they can find a way to consistently move the ball like they did in the first drive. That way games won't have to hinge on whether or not the defense is able to force turnovers.

(Let's hope they do keep doing that, but in a perfect world the offense is competent enough to win games themselves....)

AussieChiefsFan
09-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Any team that only allows 1 TD a game will likely win.

I don't expect that to be the norm for the rest of the season.

By "if the defense holds"
I didn't meant only one touchdown. Ofcourse, that'd be nice, but not likely vs Philly. Im talking just enough so the O can take advantage of Philly's lousy D.

I've said this probably too many times today, but they had the ball 8 times in Dallas territory this afternoon and came out of it with 17 points. I think that pretty much balances out last week's scoring when the defense handed them the ball twice in Jacksonville territory.

They're great in the red zone so far. But they're terrible between the twenties. They're getting a pass right now because the defense keeps handing them the ball in plus territory. Life will get a lot easier (on both sides of the ball) if they can find a way to consistently move the ball like they did in the first drive. That way games won't have to hinge on whether or not the defense is able to force turnovers.

(Let's hope they do keep doing that, but in a perfect world the offense is competent enough to win games themselves....)yeah definitely. If they can get some kind of consistency like on the opening drives, then the whole team would be a force to be reckoned with.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2013, 07:56 AM
They have to figure out what they want to do in regards to safety help. You can't keep leaving Flowers on an island with these receivers.

You don't know Flowers, brah.

Red Gorilla
09-16-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm thinking Dunta Robinson would have played a big part in this game if he'd have been active. He owned Dez Bryant on SNF in Atlanta last year.

I hope Sutton isn't planning on using Flowers like he used Revis in New York. Flowers isn't cut out for that. Hopefully, Flowers will step it up because Desean Jackson abused him the last time we played in Philly.

Overall, I thought the defense looked good.

What about Berry in coverage haters? Witten had three catches for 12 yards.

Chiefs=Champions
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm thinking Dunta Robinson would have played a big part in this game if he'd have been active. He owned Dez Bryant on SNF in Atlanta last year.

I hope Sutton isn't planning on using Flowers like he used Revis in New York. Flowers isn't cut out for that. Hopefully, Flowers will step it up because Desean Jackson abused him the last time we played in Philly.

Overall, I thought the defense looked good.

What about Berry in coverage haters? Witten had three catches for 12 yards.

Without re-watching the game, to me it seemed like we were more concerned with covering the middle of the field than we were Dez. Maybe not a good decision in hindsight, but hey we won! I don't expect Flowers to have to single handily cover wrs without any back end help very often. I also doubt he will play against a wr of Dez's ability each week. He is pretty much a top 5 wr imo.