PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Monday Morning Quarterback: Chiefs Edition

RINGLEADER
09-23-2013, 11:16 AM
For those who don't want to wade through all of Peter King's commentary about coffee and Peyton Manning here is his latest column with the Chiefs filter on. Lots of love below:

Fine Fifteen:

8. Kansas City (3-0). Quarterback Alex Smith has something in common with the rest of the KC offense: zero turnovers through three games. Not to rewrite history, or say the Niners made the wrong call on Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, but to refresh your memory about what a gutsy decision Jim Harbaugh made in benching Smith for Kaepernick last fall, Smith was 27 of 29 (.931) for 313 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions and a 151.2 rating in his final passes as a 49er.

---

Defensive Players of the Week:

Justin Houston, OLB, Kansas City. Hard to imagine any defensive player in any game this season playing any better than Houston did Thursday night in Philadelphia. Houston set the edge against the wide runs by Philadelphia, and tormented Michael Vick like he has been few times in his career. Houston, a third-year player from Georgia, is just 24, and we could be seeing the dawn of the career of the next great outside linebacker. Houston’s game in Philadelphia:

• 4.5 sacks, for 28 combined yards lost.

• Three passes deflected.

• One forced fumble.

• Two fumble recoveries.

---

Special Teams Players of the Week:

Tamba Hali, OLB, Kansas City. Hali thought he was playing on the extra-point defense team when the Eagles scored their first touchdown Thursday night. But Philadelphia called for a weird formation, where only long-snapper Jon Dorenbos, the holder and kicker were in their usual spots. The other eight players on the Eagles’ conversion team were split left, with a huge gap between Dorenbos and the rest of the linemen. Behind the linemen was tight end Zach Ertz. Instead of snapping the ball for a PAT, Dorenbos lifted it off the ground and passed it sideways to Ertz, who immediate lurched forward trying to score the two points. But Hali, sprinting in from Ertz’s right, slammed him to the ground for no gain. Imagine how alert you have to be to anticipate this, and then to react to something you’ve never seen before and wreck it.

---

Coach of the Week:

Chris Ault, consultant, Kansas City. Andy Reid hired Ault, who coached Nevada and developed Colin Kaepernick into an NFL quarterback, in the offseason to help his team in a variety of ways. Ault’s job is shrouded in mystery. But you can see his effect on both offense and defense. Andy Reid has adopted some of Ault’s stuff into his West Coast offense—Pro Football Focus had Alex Smith lined up in the pistol eight times Thursday night—and he’s also been active in helping the Kansas City defense against the wide-open offenses the Chiefs will play this year. I can only guess why Ault’s role is top secret: Kansas City travels to Washington Dec. 8. Ault and Kyle Shanahan, before Ault took this job, exchanged some ideas informally last winter. I can tell you Reid’s staff values Ault highly, and he had a big hand in divining what Chip Kelly was doing on Thursday night.

---

Factoids of the Week:

So call Alex Smith what you want—Captain Checkdown is probably the most charitable derisive moniker he hears—but understand why Andy Reid wanted him so badly when he took over as Chiefs coach. Reid is what I’d call a conservative West Coast offense coach. He wants his quarterback to move the chains, engineer long drives, and not turn it over. He might have the most perfect quarterback in football for those traits. The Smith-led offense has zero turnovers in the first three games, and the team is 3-0. Let’s go back and include Smith’s late 49er career for this gem: In his last 17 starts, Smith has been intercepted in three games, and has lost three games.

Kansas City has won three games in the last 12 days.
Kansas City won twice in the previous 614 days.

---

Ten Things I Think I Think:

a. The blitz pickup by Jamaal Charles. Did you see how he demolished Eagles safety Earl Wolff?

b. Dontari Poe. When former KC GM Scott Pioli picked Poe, he was supposed to be the most perplexing prospect in the 2012 draft—a 346-pound defensive tackle who could run a 40 in under five seconds but had questions about his desire. He’s been a disruptive player for defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, and has 3.5 sacks through three games. He swatted down a Mike Vick pass Thursday.

RINGLEADER
09-23-2013, 11:17 AM

I found this to be a particularly fun stat...shows what good coaching can do...

Rausch
09-23-2013, 11:18 AM

I found this to be a particularly fun stat...shows what good coaching can do...

I'd say good HC and good GM.

HC and GM like fucking chocolate and peanut butter...

Earthling
09-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Nice to read GOOD things about the Chiefs for a change. :clap:

Old Dog
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM

I don't care WHAT they do in their own time, as long as we keep winning.

Pitt Gorilla
09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
The truth is, though, that Hali HAD seen this play before. I doubt you get out of college without defending the swinging gate at least once per week. We practiced for it in high school.

MIAdragon
09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
a. The blitz pickup by Jamaal Charles. Did you see how he demolished Eagles safety Earl Wolff?

For posterity.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/09/20/810031586-1.gif

RealSNR
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM

That got an unfortunate chuckle out of me. Well done.

Canofbier
09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
For posterity.

NOICE

:thumb:

alpha_omega
09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks for posting the Chiefs highlights...now i don't have to read through all the other stuff in MMQB.

keg in kc
09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
This is way too positive to be Peter King. Quick, somebody put out a missing persons report, he's evidently been kidnapped and replaced by a replicant.

RealSNR
09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
This is way too positive to be Peter King. Quick, somebody put out a missing persons report, he's evidently been kidnapped and replaced by a replicant.

Kidnapping that fat son of a bitch is probably just as difficult as kidnapping a beached blue whale

dlphg9
09-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Is it just me or is JC just destroying people this year.

BlackHelicopters
09-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd say good HC and good GM.

Sick but not unheard of.

lcarus
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM

ROFL

WhawhaWhat
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM

He'll remember soon enough that they fired his boyfriend last year and we'll get paragraphs about how Pioli set the team up for success.

KChiefs1
09-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Is it just me or is JC just destroying people this year.

I seem to recall he had some difficulty picking up the Dallas blitz.

Coogs
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
He'll remember soon enough that they fired his boyfriend last year and we'll get paragraphs about how Pioli set the team up for success.

Sort of like this...

b. Dontari Poe. When former KC GM Scott Pioli picked Poe

RINGLEADER
09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
I seem to recall he had some difficulty picking up the Dallas blitz.

He's actually been having long stretches in the last two games where he's made terrible plays. Fortunately, in both games, he's had great fourth quarters. But one of the scores we should have had against the Eagles was pretty much short-circuited by Jamaal all by himself.

beer bacon
09-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Charles has been blowing up people on runs too.

Direckshun
09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
You just know Pioli's next GM interview he's going to be like "please keep in mind how good I set up the Chiefs to be."

Sorter
09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
You just know Pioli's next GM interview he's going to be like "please keep in mind how good I set up the Chiefs to be."

:(

Deberg_1990
09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Heh, he couldn't resist putting Piolis name in there somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
For all of Smiths faults, he does a great job of playing mistake free. he hits just enough passes to keep the chains moving and give his defense a rest with good field position. Alot of fans have a hard time understanding how valuable that is. team sport.
Posted via Mobile Device

Halfcan
09-23-2013, 06:05 PM
For posterity.

Wow!! And that is not the first time JC has brought the hammer down. :clap:

WhiteWhale
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Wow!! And that is not the first time JC has brought the hammer down. :clap:

JC was a better pass protector than Larry Johnson when he was a rookie.

Better runner too.

Goddamn I hated that bastard. JC should have had his job on day 1 in 2008.