PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Paylor: Nico Johnson working his way back from high ankle sprain

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Nico Johnson working his way back from high ankle sprain (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/23/4503040/nico-johnson-working-his-way-back.html)
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star
For a little over two weeks, rookie linebacker Nico Johnson has been biding his time on the Chiefs’ second-team defense, trying to work his way into the playing rotation at middle linebacker.

He chuckles when he thinks about how different it could have been if he didn’t suffer a high ankle sprain during the Chiefs’ third preseason game against Pittsburgh.

“It’s something new to me,” said Johnson, a fourth-round pick in April’s NFL Draft. “I never missed a game or practice at Alabama.”

Before his ankle injury, Johnson was competing with free agent Akeem Jordan for the Chiefs’ starting inside linebacker position and earning first-team reps alongside starter Derrick Johnson, which led Nico Johnson to believe he had a shot at early season playing time.

“I thought I was,” Johnson said.

But whatever playing time he stood to earn has since dried up because of the injury, which kept Johnson out of practice for nearly two weeks.

“As of now I think I’m probably about 90 percent, almost 100,” said Johnson, who has now been practicing for about two weeks. “I’ve been cleared by Rick (Burkholder), our head trainer, and the doctor, so whatever comes from here on and out, I’m ready.”

In the meantime, Johnson said he will remain a good soldier on the second team. He has also worked on the scout-team defense to help the first-string offense prepare.

“It’s a business,” Johnson said. “I’ve got to respect the process … but everything happens for a reason. It set me back, so now all I can do is be supportive and wait until Coach (Andy) Reid gives me the opportunity to play.”

McGrath relishes opportunity

With veteran starter Anthony Fasano and third-round rookie Travis Kelce each banged up, second-year tight end Sean McGrath reveled in his chance to help the Chiefs in their 26-16 win over Philadelphia on Thursday.

McGrath was targeted four times and caught all four passes for 31 yards while logging 72 snaps, the most he’s had in a game since…

“College?” McGrath said with a laugh. “Yeah, yeah, my legs are back under me. We get off a lot of plays in a game.”

McGrath said the chance to earn significant playing time on a big stage — he played 87 percent of the Chiefs’ offensive snaps — is something he won’t be forgetting any time soon, though he’s far from satisfied.

“‘Thursday Night Football,’ the only show in the state, it’s a great feeling,” McGrath said. “I went out and made plays when I could and when it was thrown my way. I’m just going to keep continuing to adjusted to the system, keep preparing and keep grinding.”

Reid not underestimating struggling Giants

The Chiefs would seem to have a better-than-average chance of going 4-0 on Sunday, when they play host to the scuffling New York Giants, whose coach — Tom Coughlin — is 0-3 for the first time in his career.

But Chiefs coach Andy Reid hasn’t forgotten the 2007 Giants, who were also led by Coughlin and rallied from an 0-2 start to win the Super Bowl

“The Giants, this team right here, they’ve played like this and gone to the Super Bowl,” Reid said. “So we’re aware of that, we know how that works. We’re gonna prepare ourselves to play a good football team.”

Reid said the Chiefs will begin their full-scale preparation for the Giants on Wednesday.

“We did a little bit today and we’ll do most of it starting on Wednesday,” Reid said.

Injury report

Cornerback Brandon Flowers and fullback Anthony Sherman did not practice Monday because of knee inflammations, while safety Kendrick Lewis (rolled ankle) and guard Jeff Allen (groin strain) also sat out.

Reid said tight ends Anthony Fasano (foot) and Travis Kelce (knee) are “making progress,” though they were held out of practice, too.

Chiefshrink
09-23-2013, 11:26 PM
High ankle sprains hang on all year long most of the time. Let's hope this is a minor one which sounds like it isn't.:shake:

Gravedigger
09-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I hate this guy's name, like his parents thought it'd be funny since their last name was Paylor that they should name their child Terez....... I see what you did there. Naming your child something "unique" doesn't make them unique. This could be an alias of Adam Teicher's and we'd never know.