PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late Night Bullshit: How Good Can We Be...

BossChief
09-24-2013, 10:51 PM
So far, our team looks amazing.

We are forcing turnovers, getting big time returns, pinning teams back and aside from a couple miscues, we have been just nasty on special teams thus far.

On defense, we look sick. We are constantly looking to rip the ball out and have a lot of bodies around the tackle at all times. We take the ball away in a sustainable way. Our pass rush is second to none and IMO has just begun to scratch the surface of what we can do as a team pass rush. Poe, Houston and Hali are all playing at an elite level and arguably all require double teams to slow down. I can't wait to see Nico get healthy, kid is gonna be an animal. The secondary is playing like a well oiled machine and the communication has been outstanding. They are feeding off each other and playing at a level we haven't seen a Chiefs defense play at in a very, very long time. We are taking
the ball away at a record pace. The DEs are helping to shut the run down and keep opposing offenses in third and long a lot. Shit they are even giving some push up front to help collapse that pocket and force teams to throw before they want to.

It's fun to watch.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Our offense has looked pretty good overall (all things considered) and has the pieces that could propel this unit into the stratosphere as the year rolls along.

The line has been getting abused and I expect that to unit to be a strength by years end. We switched blocking schemes, have 2 new starters on the OL (one
being a rookie) and are looking lost out there, right now. There is a megashitton of talent on that OL that nice they begin to jell should have the ability to be a dominant unit. I expect this unit to blossom in front of our eyes over the next 4-8 games. If Eric Fisher can start to give us what we paid for, wow. The mental mistakes will subside and the technique will become more natural as they build cohesion between one and another. In theory, anyway.

I know it looks bad now, but I still think it will be a top 5 line by years end.

That brings me to the TEs.

We have a quarterback that uses the tight end as a primary receiver in a lot of plays and we havent been able to get a sniff of what Kelce is all about and Fasano has been injured as well. When these two get healthy (which will happen) they are gonna be a huge part of sustaining drives for this offense because teams now HAVE TO treat Donnie Avery as a legit threat. That means it's gonna be really hard for teams to bracket Dwayne Bowe and once we get a healthy tight end on the field, he should get a ton of targets. Kelce looked very good in camp and I think could be a real difference maker once he gets up to speed. We played tight ends that were mopping floors a week ago and made them look ok. A real tight end will rape.

How about them running backs?

Charles has shown that he can take over games since he stepped on the field with Thiggy in 08. Knile Davis is a guy that I think will play a larger role as the season goes on. Against our defense in practice at camp, he looked like he had the ability to be really special. Hit the hole fast and had the extra gear that he could hit in no time and lots of power to stay on his feet through traffic. Gray is a quality player as well and I think he has the ability to start on a few teams.

All in all, how much better will we be once

The tight ends are healthy
The offensive line starts to jel
Nico Johnson and Knile Davis get worked in
Reid learns how to properly utilize our personel
Alex Smith gets comfortable in this system

Titty Meat
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
11-5

NJChiefsFan
09-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Depends on how the Oline improves(if it does) during the season. With young guys, I think the room for improvement is there. It also depends on if Alex can push the ball down the field a little to help the running and screen game. If he can get a good relationship with Bowe that would do a lot for the offense.

If those things happen I wouldn't be surprised to see this team get in and ruin a really good teams playoff run. Those are big ifs though, and it still seems more likely that this season ends more like 2010 then the prediction of upsetting a really good teams playoff run. It's still really early but at the very least Alex is a guy that finds a way to win if you give him a chance and make some plays vs. that 2010 QB that was always hanging on by the skin of his teeth just to game-manage. I am interested to see how they play a team on Sunday that I think still has the skill to win important games. The Chiefs are now expected to win Sunday, so I am interested to see how they handle that.

BossChief
09-24-2013, 10:59 PM
I think Bowe is gonna have a couple standout games coming up.

He's due.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-24-2013, 10:59 PM
They'll struggle after the bye. 8-8 or 9-7

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2013, 11:00 PM
The tight ends are healthy

Minimal impact. Unless I see otherwise, I'd guess Avery = Vernon Davis in terms of Alex's
comfort level. Even then, Kelce is the TE equivalent of Fisher: small school guy with good upside but incredibly raw. Blocking will improve of course, but I just don't see a lot of production out of Fasano outside of safety-valve plays like we saw in the 4th Q of last Thursday's game with throws to Avery and McGrath.

The offensive line starts to jel(sic)

Bumps in production from guys like McCluster, Fasano, Sherman / rotational RBs as Alex has a little bit more time to make plays.

Nico Johnson and Knile Davis get worked in

I don't think we want either of them in...

Reid learns how to properly utilize our personel(sic)

I think we've seen exactly what Reid wants to do already; it's all down the execution now.

Alex Smith gets comfortable in this system

He'll produce a little bit more offensively... Maybe an extra TD over the course of a few games, a few dozen extra yards than we've seen through the air to this point.

Rain Man
09-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I wish they hadn't traded Tony Gonzalez. He would have come in handy.

I'm still going with 16-0. No reason to predict otherwise.

Mojo Jojo
09-24-2013, 11:02 PM
This can be a 10-6 team...

BossChief
09-24-2013, 11:05 PM
This can be a 10-6 team...

You think we are only gonna go 7-6 from here out?

NJChiefsFan
09-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I wish they hadn't traded Tony Gonzalez. He would have come in handy.

I'm still going with 16-0. No reason to predict otherwise.

Your predictions so far have been pretty good(especially the feel of those games) so I am looking forward to see how close you are on the Raiders game.

TLO
09-24-2013, 11:07 PM
11-5 best case.

Simply Red
09-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Minimal impact. Unless I see otherwise, I'd guess Avery = Vernon Davis in terms of Alex's
comfort level. Even then, Kelce is the TE equivalent of Fisher: small school guy with good upside but incredibly raw. Blocking will improve of course, but I just don't see a lot of production out of Fasano outside of safety-valve plays like we saw in the 4th Q of last Thursday's game with throws to Avery and McGrath.

Bumps in production from guys like McCluster, Fasano, Sherman / rotational RBs as Alex has a little bit more time to make plays.

I think we've seen exactly what Reid wants to do already; it's all down the execution now.

He'll produce a little bit more offensively... Maybe an extra TD over the course of a few games, a few dozen extra yards than we've seen through the air to this point.

I'm not ready to towel Miles Davis yet. I still have a feeling he'll pull through the struggles and at a minimum be very decent. Just a question of when.

RealSNR
09-24-2013, 11:14 PM
This defense alone makes us a playoff team. That's what's exciting about these Chiefs.

An offense like this is hard to fix even in just one season. It may take until the last four games of the season to get going at the level we'd like to see. I'm somewhat to fairly confident, though that we'll be in good enough of a position by then to crack some skulls.

Fritz88
09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
I'd trade for a TE now.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
09-24-2013, 11:16 PM

Completely disagree. Boss is spot on about the TEs. That makes a huge, huge difference. Charles is an outside runner and he needs those guys to seal the edge. Our TEs are completely useless in blocking situations. Fasano is a good blocker and Kelce is far better than McGrath.

So yeah... we've built this team to be a really solid game managing team. Alex Smith has proven he can take what the opposing team gives him. I'm okay with his game management style as long as he pulls out all the stops when the defense doesn't give him much, which is bound to happen. Denver might be a good test for that.

Gravedigger
09-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I'll buy in, 12-4. Losses to Denver both times, a loss to SD in SD, and a loss to either Texans or Titans. We can beat Indy at home... I feel it.

BossChief
09-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Teams we could match up against in the playoffs:

Texans
Colts
Denver
Baltimore
Cincy
New England
Jets
Dolphins
Titans

If Alex can build his comfort zone with these guys, I like our chances against any of those teams.

CaliforniaChief
09-24-2013, 11:26 PM
To be 3-0 is nice. To know that our O-line is still learning, that chemistry between Alex and Bowe will grow, and that we'll continue to develop confidence is really exciting.

This team could win a playoff game or two, IMO. Injuries and the development of the O-line will be key. If the O-line develops, Charles will go crazy, Smith will have protection, and Bowe/Avery will have time to get open.

TLO
09-24-2013, 11:29 PM
A healthy/ good TE would be a Godsend right now. Would really help out in the passing game and take some pressure off Bowe.

BossChief
09-24-2013, 11:34 PM
I keep looking at that schedule and see us going 11-5/12-4.

This should be a battle tested team going into the playoffs, too.

Hopefully that line gels and the tight ends make a difference.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2013, 11:36 PM
This is the 'playoff' scenario (http://clinton-morell.com/n.html?a=-qZVplpmmppqalmpqpZqZpmZmpqVqqpaWWpVqmmqlmZmmmaqpalWppqmlqqaZplqqqWZpmqlpaapmVqqaqWlppC_) that I've mulled over today on the premise of how many wins KC needs to have to get in based on how I think other teams will do.

In short KC cannot do any worse than 3-3 in the AFCW and must take at least five wins from any of these teams: TEN, NYG, HOU, IND, CLE, BUF, WSH.

We'll lose on overall record or tiebreakers to MIA, NE, IND/HOU, BAL or NYJ/BUF if we're at or below 10-6.

chiefzilla1501
09-24-2013, 11:38 PM

Texans
Colts
Denver
Baltimore
Cincy
New England
Jets
Dolphins
Titans

If Alex can build his comfort zone with these guys, I like our chances against any of those teams.

What it boils down to is in the playoffs, one or all of those teams are going to get hot. We will have to win 2 or 3 games where the opposing team limits mistakes and puts up points. Can we compete in those games? I'll give Alex Smith a chance to prove he can, but that scares the shit out of me.

Consistent1
09-24-2013, 11:39 PM

Texans
Colts
Denver
Baltimore
Cincy
New England
Jets
Dolphins
Titans

I think it is hard to say because some of those teams just win and win. Guess is we could get a wildcard at maybe 10-6, or even 11-5. That would be cool with me.

cdcox
09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
They will go as far as Alex Smith can take them.

Baby Lee
09-24-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm putting it here, yet again. I think we should make an otherworldly effort to get Jimmy Graham. He's a rising star, looking to even eclipse the mythical Gonzalez, and a binky like him at TE is just what the Dr. ordered for Alex. Can you imagine Bowe, Avery and Graham with Alex's full faith and credit, with Jamaal in the backfield?

Sick.

Plus, my cousin is a Saints fan and this could kill her. Beating the Saints last year was pure bliss, no matter how bad the rest of the season.

vailpass
09-24-2013, 11:54 PM
They will go as far as Alex Smith can take them.

True. But Joe Flacco says hello.

cdcox
09-24-2013, 11:58 PM
True. But Joe Flacco says hello.

Joe Flacco can stretch the field. BWAHAHAHAHA

vailpass
09-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Joe Flacco can stretch the field. BWAHAHAHAHA

:D Smith is every bit as capable as Flacco was. Question is: how good is your D?

BossChief
09-25-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm putting it here, yet again. I think we should make an otherworldly effort to get Jimmy Graham. He's a rising star, looking to even eclipse the mythical Gonzalez, and a binky like him at TE is just what the Dr. ordered for Alex. Can you imagine Bowe, Avery and Graham with Alex's full faith and credit, with Jamaal in the backfield?

Sick.

Plus, my cousin is a Saints fan and this could kill her. Beating the Saints last year was pure bliss, no matter how bad the rest of the season.

No.

BossChief
09-25-2013, 12:06 AM
:D Smith is every bit as capable as Flacco was. Question is: how good is your D?

They look to have the makings of a true elite defense.

Stud nose guard that is a physical freak
Two scary good rushbackers
Stud safety
Good set of corners
All pro middle linebacker

A great mix of young, hungry talent with the right kind of veterans.

This group should be able to significantly limit almost any offense.

Baby Lee
09-25-2013, 12:06 AM
No.

b/c?

vailpass
09-25-2013, 12:07 AM
They look to have the makings of a true elite defense.

Stud nose guard that is a physical freak
Two scary good rushbackers
Stud safety
Good set of corners
All pro middle linebacker

A great mix of young, hungry talent with the right kind of veterans.

This group should be able to significantly limit almost any offense.

Yeah your D looks good. Imo kc goes as far as the D takes them.

BossChief
09-25-2013, 12:10 AM
b/c?

We have a good set of tight ends that are fairly cheap.

Plus, there is no way in hell NO moves that player. If they would, it would be for a silly deal.

Baby Lee
09-25-2013, 12:12 AM

Plus, there is no way in hell NO moves that player. If they would, it would be for a silly deal.

If Moeki hadn't Croyled himself, maybe. Last Thursday shows the slim margin between strength and glaring weakness.

BossChief
09-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Besides a couple blocking assignments being missed, I thought blackbeard did alright for a street free agent.

chiefzilla1501
09-25-2013, 12:51 AM

I don't see the Chiefs making that kind of move. But Reid is a guy who consistently has 600-800 yard TEs. The production we're getting isn't good enough. McGrath is an adequate receiver and Fasano is better suited as a utility TE. Kelce has to step up. Big time.

Chiefs=Champions
09-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Sample size is a little too small for me to get carried away atm. I feel we are a good team, but id like to see us destroy the Giants first. We do that and i think we are for real. It's not a make or break game, but going against an offense that has struggled to say it politely, should be easy work.

Good teams win these games, especially at home. I want our home advantage to rival that of the Seahawks.

milkman
09-25-2013, 06:28 AM
I think we've seen exactly what Reid wants to do already; it's all down the execution.

Andy Reid needs to adjust.
This offense doesn't do what he wants to do very well.
They've shown what they can do when you play to their strength.

But then, I've never liked Reid,s playcalling, so I expect him to continue to be the idiot playcaller he's always been.

Red Gorilla
09-25-2013, 07:46 AM
I don't get the obsession with Nico. He was good in the preseason but, Jordan is really playing at a high level and they aren't going to screw with the defense's chemistry. However, I do think he'll play on special teams and will help there.

I think this team is capable of winning a playoff game. It will probably be the wildcard. I thought we would go 9-7 but, 10-6 or 11-5 is realistic imo.

The offense will come along as the season goes on. We are running a new offense and it takes some time. Also, the defense is almost always ahead of the offense in the first quarter of the season.

Direckshun
09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
I think Sean McGrath is fine as a 3rd TE who can play in a pinch.

Rausch
09-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I think 10-6 is the most likely.

Swept by Donks, sweep Faiders, split with SD.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Texans and Colts blow us away and then there's that WTF game every team always has...

BlackHelicopters
09-25-2013, 08:20 AM
We need TE help immediately

milkman
09-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I think 10-6 is the most likely.

Swept by Donks, sweep Faiders, split with SD.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Texans and Colts blow us away and then there's that WTF game every team always has...

I would be shocked to see either team blow us away.

Titty Meat
09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I think we can beat the Texans they have became a dink and dunk team.

The Giants game is something else though. Alex Smith has been historically bad against them because of that pass rush. Our o-line sucks and Manning is able to lead his team to 24 points.

Titty Meat
09-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Andy Reid needs to adjust.
This offense doesn't do what he wants to do very well.
They've shown what they can do when you play to their strength.

But then, I've never liked Reid,s playcalling, so I expect him to continue to be the idiot playcaller he's always been.

Indeed. It was encouraging seeing Kniles Davis go up the middle 4-5 yards a time last week.

Frosty
09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
13-3, yo

Mr. Laz
09-25-2013, 12:31 PM
lots of young players with plenty of upside

Offense:

Oline is still major young and inexperience - our offense should improve by leaps and bounds as our Oline gets better.

New system - all the players will get better as they get more to know it better

Defense:

Houston is still really young
Berry is still really young
Poe is still really young

Commings back as upgrade for Lewis?

new system - entire unit should improve

Special teams:

we have seen the potential in the preseason

succop is limited but the rest of the guys have the potential to be really good

would prefer a replacement for McCluster on PR, not terrible but i think more is there

big upside for entire team if we keep improving

Halfcan
09-25-2013, 12:50 PM
11-5

That is what I predicted to start the season and was laughed at. :harumph:

BossChief
09-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Another difference maker IMO is when Junior Hemmingway takes over for Dexter McCluster.

Which should have been 2 months ago.

Red Gorilla
09-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Another difference maker IMO is when Junior Hemmingway takes over for Dexter McCluster.

Which should have been 2 months ago.

I agree and I really like Hemmingway in the slot.

OnTheWarpath15
09-25-2013, 02:45 PM

You were laughed at for two reasons:

1.) You predict 10-6 or 11-5 every single season.

2.) You make Roy III look like a fucking Rhodes Scholar.

Titty Meat
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM

As you should have been. This is a 6-10 team playing lights out defense. Highly doubt you had Poe at 3.5 sacks or Justin Houston on par for a 40 sack season.