View Full Version : Chiefs "It's Good To Be A Chief"

Prison Bitch
09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
PETER RICHMOND
MORE FROM PETER | TWITTER RSS
September 26, 2013
IT'S GOOD TO BE A CHIEF

0 2 COMMENTS

http://www.sportsonearth.com/assets/images/7/6/8/61749768/cuts/smith_alex_chiefs_rracqnvm_h656gquc.jpg
New quarterback Alex Smith has yet to throw an interception and is as big a reason as any for the Chiefs' 3-0 start. (Getty Images)

It doesn't bother me in the least that Andy Reid, slathered in classic Chief red, now looks like a large bottle of ketchup on the sideline. I don't care that his leading receiver is a guy named Donnie, currently the 39th best in the league. Or that the guy who throws to him is a man named Alex who spent seven years not living up to our expectations before entering his eighth year with a QB rating of 79.1.

All I care about is that the National Football League franchise in Kansas City, Mo., a humble, heartland haven of a town, is at the front of the pack again, which is way good for a league too long consumed by the same old handful of bold-faced franchises. The drought in the stockyard town (the cattle are long gone, but the fragrance of barbecue is still wafting through the Arrowhead parking lot at 7 a.m.) has gone on way too long. It's been two decades since transplant Joe Montana had them in an AFC title game, and four decades since they won their Super Bowl.....

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/61711710/

DaFace
09-26-2013, 09:24 PM
It's worth clicking through the link. Good read.

Even if Alex isn't the franchise's savior, the start to this season has been a much-needed cleansing.

Nightfyre
09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Can someone quote it since I have this guy on ignore?

DaFace
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/61711710/

Nightfyre
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks.

Bugeater
09-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Sure.

Bunch of true fan crap.

COchief
09-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Since apparently shit-for-brains OP has yet to master Ctrv-C and Ctrl-V...

Of late, it's been downright ugly. Many years ago, the meticulous Hank Stram insisted the team travel in red blazers. ("We looked like The Killer Beets," the late John Matuzak said.) In recent years, the sideline was being prowled by Todd Haley, the only head coach in history who thought that looking like a guy living in a refrigerator crate underneath an interstate bypass was a cool thing. (Sorry, Todd, Belichick's cut-offs had already staked that ground in more palatable fashion, and Bill never wore a baseball cap with sweat stains.)

Then, as if it could get any more wincingly weird, when Haley got the axe, he claimed that his office was bugged -- and even weirder, maybe it was. Under former Patriots GM Scott Pioli, brought over in 2009 to stem the bleeding of a team that had gone 2-14 in 2008, Belichick's former protégé oversaw four years of in-house KC policies that seem downright Orwellian. In a part of the land where everyone inevitably is nice to a fault, under Pioli -- and CEO Clark Hunt, whose signature was on the paycheck -- Chiefland turned into Langley. Certain employees couldn't roam certain floors of the team's headquarters. Non-football staff with views onto the practice field had to draw their shades, to ensure they didn't steal state secrets and sell them to WikiLeaks.

The last time I interviewed Pioli, way back in Foxboro, he was a refreshingly personable guy with a New York Mets bobblehead doll in his office, the antithesis of the hoodied coach I'd just spent a few hours with. But as some British baron once said a few hundred years ago, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." So maybe Pioli had become Captain Queeg. On maybe he was just micromanaging per the orders of Hunt, a graduate of the Goldman Sachs training program. (Talk about savvy football credentials!)

We do know this: Pioli's subsequent hiring of the eminently likeable head coach Romeo Crennel, who had worked for Pioli in Foxboro, proved equally ineffective (as has, thus far, Mr. Haley's offensive-coordinator tenure in Pittsburgh). Crennel has proven that really nice guys don't always make for good coaches, or that Belichick graduates don't always make good GMs. Pioli was axed this past December.

His replacement John Dorsey hit the ground running, ten days after Reid's arrival, after spending most of his football life in Green Bay. He picked up Alex Smith, whose current quarterback rating of 92.1 is good for 13th, ahead of Cam Newton and Drew Brees. His interception total is more impressive: zero.

But the beauty of this resurgence can't be quantified by numbers, although 4-0 will sound nice after (barring an unexpected asteroid hit on Arrowhead) this Sunday's defeat of the New York Aints (just lop off the G and reverse the two vowels). No, the beauty is in the focus on football returning to a town where there seem to be more red cars than any city in America, celebrating a team that has never felt the need to make its symbol more menacing, or its orangy-red more bloody-looking. Where red arrowheads are ubiquitous Christmas ornaments. Where a native-Missouri friend who's a fanatic, now living in Los Angeles, has a long-standing request with a friend back in K.C. to keep an eye out for Chiefs paraphernalia in thrift shops; the friend has thus far come up empty.

Then again, so have the Chiefs, for way too long. Amid years of mediocrity, Schottenheimer and Vermeil each did manage to post a 13-3 season, each time losing at home in the first playoff game. Somewhere in there was a guy named Gunther, and then Herm, the king of the post-loss presser. And a quarterback named Elvis, who left the building.

Now that building's rocking again, the way it did in the day -- and a pretty cool building it is, designed by architect Charles Deaton, the same guy who did the desert house in Woody Allen's Sleeper -- for what Dorsey calls this "crown jewel" of a team. (After all, they did play in two of the first four Super Bowls.)

Instead of all-solar-system linebacker Willie Lanier, these Chiefs have sack king Justin Houston, who hails from Statesboro, Ga., immortalized by Blind Willie McTell, and subsequently covered really well by the Allmans, in "Statesboro Blues". Instead of the stingy defense of the Buck Buchanan Seventies, they have one that's giving up just over 11 points a game.

Instead of Stram, they have a man who, with all he's been through, has been given a well deserved second chance -- and who doesn't even seem grumpy anymore.

And the Entertainment Football League has a new franchise face, bereft of bold-faced names, to remind us that you don't neon to sell your sport. Just red.

Prison Bitch
09-27-2013, 09:53 AM
I can't tell where the author is from, maybe a Giants fan? Hard to say. Either way he says a lot of nice things about Kansas City (the place).

Discuss Thrower
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Since apparently shit-for-brains OP has yet to master Ctrv-C and Ctrl-V...

or.. You know, just trying not to fuck over the writer of said article.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2013, 10:41 AM
or.. You know, just trying not to **** over the writer of said article.

This.

chiefzilla1501
09-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Agreed. Look, if people want to copy-cut-paste articles into threads, they're entitled to even if I don't like it. I can't stand people who get pissy when people don't copy it in.

Prison Bitch
09-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Lotta asswipes online who think copying an pasting copywrite is acceptable. I'll never understand folks like COchief

COchief
09-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Lotta asswipes online who think copying an pasting copywrite is acceptable. I'll never understand folks like COchief

Admittedly that was harsh on my part, usually people either go one way or the other (link or paste entire article), unusual to see a half n half.

Might be nice to have a set rule, I would vote for links and maybe a highlight or two as writers have it hard enough in this day and age of digital media without their work being distributed for free.

/apology

DaFace
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Admittedly that was harsh on my part, usually people either go one way or the other (link or paste entire article), unusual to see a half n half.

Might be nice to have a set rule, I would vote for links and maybe a highlight or two as writers have it hard enough in this day and age of digital media without their work being distributed for free.

/apology

I kind of like the "link and a paragraph or two" approach, personally. However, I think it works best when you're clear that there's more info at the link. I was a little confused by the OP because I thought that's all there was to it.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I kind of like the "link and a paragraph or two" approach, personally. However, I think it works best when you're clear that there's more info at the link. I was a little confused by the OP because I thought that's all there was to it.

That's what I typically do. "Tease" the article a bit. It's also helpful to link the story to a phrase like "Read the rest of the story here..."

Phobia
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM

I prefer that too and we even had a rule at one time but it was not fun at all trying to enforce that. So it didn't last long.

Prison Bitch
09-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Well, I put elipsis at the end of the excerpt followed by a link, I figured that was explanatory.

Denver Mike
09-27-2013, 12:27 PM
You win 3 games, now its good to be a Chief?

ROFL
ROFL

Well it is ONE more than last year :rolleyes:

Prison Bitch
09-27-2013, 12:34 PM

ROFL
ROFL

We won as many playoff games as you did last year. What's your point.

lcarus
09-27-2013, 12:36 PM

ROFL
ROFL

They'll probably be undefeated after the 1st quarter of the season. We still have a long way to go before we can clinch home field advantage in the playoffs and lose our first game again, like you all did last year, and we have done several times. But doggonnit we'll get there.

DaFace
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM

ROFL
ROFL

Not even a good attempt at trolling. I'm disappointed.

lcarus
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Not even a good attempt at trolling. I'm disappointed.

Whatever. I'm furious over here.

Ace Gunner
09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I like quoted articles in the OP because it makes referencing during discussion/argument much easier.

DaFace
09-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I like quoted articles in the OP because it makes referencing during discussion/argument much easier.

And if there's really good content, sure - put it in the OP. But it is worth considering that most of the sites that provide this content make their money on traffic, so it's worth trying to ensure that they get a little bump by articles posted here rather than just losing hits.

seclark
09-27-2013, 12:55 PM
I just look at the pictures.
sec

Bugeater
09-27-2013, 01:39 PM
I'll start clicking on links when all websites quit cluttering the hell out of their pages with annoying flash advertising and pop-ups and other fucking garbage. Until then, I'll only read pasted stories.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Sure.

ROFL

Tribal Warfare
09-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll start clicking on links when all websites quit cluttering the hell out of their pages with annoying flash advertising and pop-ups and other fucking garbage. Until then, I'll only read pasted stories.

get adblockers

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-27-2013, 04:55 PM

ROFL
ROFL

Well, I hope your slumming took your mind off of being nursed at your mother's penis.

~Actually I just lied about the hope, to remind you

Pasta Little Brioni
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
These doncos make the niner fans look bright

Easy 6
09-27-2013, 05:25 PM
It's worth clicking through the link. Good read.

Even if Alex isn't the franchise's savior, the start to this season has been a much-needed cleansing.

Damn, just the readable part in the op is worth kudos.

Its all true, feels good to be a gangsta...

Hats off to Mr. Richmond.

SAUTO
09-27-2013, 06:38 PM
I prefer that too and we even had a rule at one time but it was not fun at all trying to enforce that. So it didn't last long.
Thirded
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner
09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
And if there's really good content, sure - put it in the OP. But it is worth considering that most of the sites that provide this content make their money on traffic, so it's worth trying to ensure that they get a little bump by articles posted here rather than just losing hits.

tru dat -- I'll reconsider..

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2013, 08:19 PM
DAMN IT FEELS GOOD 2 B A CHIEF

Ace Gunner
09-27-2013, 08:23 PM
DAMN IT FEELS GOOD 2 B A CHIEF
THIG RIDES AGAIN
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/archive/8/81/20110708043103!5b71073bd590a33d_nye2007_fireworks_gif.gif

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
THIG RIDES AGAIN
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/archive/8/81/20110708043103!5b71073bd590a33d_nye2007_fireworks_gif.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b28416bb5c4a367617cf7b54a424dac1/tumblr_ms4cbcGRKl1qf2vkmo1_400.gif