PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Paylor:Donnie Avery making most of his opportunity with the Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Donnie Avery making most of his opportunity with the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/27/4513333/avery-making-most-of-his-opportunity.html)
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star
In the aftermath of the Chiefs’ big prime-time win over Philadelphia last week, Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe fielded a question regarding Donnie Avery and could not help but grin, albeit slyly.

“The drive routes,” Bowe said, with a certain amusement.

Watching Avery go to work against the Eagles was a joy for the Chiefs. They targeted Avery, a six-year pro, seven times and watched him record seven catches for 141 yards, including four third-down conversations.

But it was the way he did his damage — all but two were on short crossing routes over the middle, which Bowe alluded to — that even took Avery by surprise.

“I didn’t think we were going to run that many,” Avery said. “But coach knew the coverages from the people upstairs and we made the right calls.”

Avery, a former second-round pick of St. Louis in 2008, is now on his fourth team after stints with the Rams, Colts and Titans. But after a relatively low start to his Chiefs’ career — he caught four passes for 49 yards and a touchdown in wins against the Jaguars and Cowboys — he took full advantage of his opportunity against the Eagles, despite the fact it takes a certain degree of courage to repeatedly venture across the middle in the NFL.

“You’ll see if you throw anybody’s tape on defense, the linebackers are looking for those routes, they’re looking to disrupt timing,” said Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson. “To Donnie’s credit, he’s good at seeing that and sniffing that out.”

Pederson said Avery’s speed — he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at the 2008 combine — also makes him a weapon on crossing routes.

“He always does a nice job with his release,” Pederson said. “Anytime you can throw it underneath the coverage and make a guy miss, the advantage goes to the offense.”

Avery said there’s a bit of an art to it. While you pretty much go full-speed if the defense is in man coverage — you’re trying to elude the one guy assigned to you — you have to be able to find the soft spots if the defense is playing zone, all while ignoring the ever-looming threat of getting your block knocked off.

Sounds fun, huh?

“You know you’re gonna to get hit, so you’ve just got to have tunnel vision and make sure you get the catch,” Avery said. “Then you get the first down and everything else is a bonus after that.”

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he knew Avery, who was signed a free agent this offseason, had the ability and mentality to go over the middle based on his college tape at Houston, where he starred in one of the nation’s most productive offenses under current Baylor coach Art Briles.

“His quarterback was a kid I ended up drafting, Kevin Kolb, so I saw plenty of tape of him, even though I believe he was a year ahead of him,” Reid said. “He is familiar with doing those things and he’s done a little bit of that in this league. Now, as much as he had the other night? He hadn’t done that much for us until the other night. But he sure did it well.”

Even Avery, who said he spent the Chiefs’ first two games running slants and go routes and other intermediate routes,

“Those were some good money routes Thursday,” Avery said.

It remains to be seen, however, whether Reid will call on Avery to make New York pay in a similar way on Sunday. The Giants have the Philly tape, after all, and Pederson added that Avery isn’t the only receiver the Chiefs feel comfortable running those routes.

But whatever happens, Avery insists he trusts Reid to do what’s best for the team, whatever that may be.

“I’ve got lot of respect for Andy Reid,” Avery said. “Whatever he calls, I’m with it, and if the ball comes my way, I’m with that, too.”

HemiEd
09-28-2013, 03:18 AM
Love me some Avery. If you took his stats away, and Jamaal Charles stats away, the Offense wouldn't be much, especially if you divided it by three. :D

Rasputin
09-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I figure the more success Avery gets will open up D Bowe from being double teamed as much so he should get some love thrown his way. D Bowe didn't seam upset not getting the ball after the game and gave Andy Reid a big hug.

Rausch
09-28-2013, 06:51 AM
I figure the more success Avery gets will open up D Bowe from being double teamed as much so he should get some love thrown his way. D Bowe didn't seam upset not getting the ball after the game and gave Andy Reid a big hug.

He's getting paid like a pro bowler, he's winning, and he's not getting hit...:evil:

mdchiefsfan
09-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Pfff, Diva!

runnercyclist
09-28-2013, 06:53 AM
What's up with the guy we got for Baldwin? Haste he seen the field?

Rausch
09-28-2013, 06:56 AM

?

http://i.imgur.com/87IErSe.jpg

Dunerdr
09-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Id like to see more hemingway, bowe, avery sets. Let avery do the job mcmidget signed up for. But i still think andys saving bowe and mcmidget for denver not that i think dex will be any more gooder but i think hes gonna be more creative when its crunch time and weve got the donks to keep up with.

Rausch
09-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Id like to see more hemingway, bowe, avery sets.

This.

Fuck McCluster and Knile Davis...

Rasputin
09-28-2013, 07:17 AM
This.

**** McCluster and Knile Davis...

Trade McCluster for a bologna sammich.

Rausch
09-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Trade McCluster for a bologna sammich.

Then give it to Berry and tell him it's Australian Boiled Stallion...

O.city
09-28-2013, 07:34 AM
He'll I'd rather see Jenkins than dex. The guy serves no purpose in the nfl.

Rausch
09-28-2013, 07:37 AM
He'll I'd rather see Jenkins than dex. The guy serves no purpose in the nfl.

His purpose should be our Kevin Falk - limited athlete but excellent pass catcher out of the backfield...

Dunerdr
09-28-2013, 08:17 AM
His purpose should be our Kevin Falk - limited athlete but excellent pass catcher out of the backfield...

I suppose that could work but ive yet to see this elusiveness thats supposed to make him so dangerous.

Rausch
09-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I suppose that could work but ive yet to see this elusiveness thats supposed to make him so dangerous.

Faulk wasn't elusive either - just quick and could catch the ball.

As a WR McCluster isn't even a solid Dante Hall...

Dunerdr
09-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Faulk wasn't elusive either - just quick and could catch the ball.

As a WR McCluster isn't even a solid Dante Hall...

Wurd. I thought that was what we were gonna get with him when we drafted him. I hope for the teams sake hes a weapon under utilized until needed. But in reality i know he will be catching passes from tebow in the arena league, mimicking brady/ amendola.

milkman
09-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Support for McCluster is finally dwindling.

Reality is beginning to take hold.

philfree
09-29-2013, 06:16 AM
So is Avery going to be our Wes Welker?

Simply Red
09-29-2013, 07:16 AM

I was one that liked the kid. He seems like a wannabe Dante Hall w/o the decision making and speed. Not sure why he's dwindled. I guess is just DOES suck.

Dunerdr
09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
So is Avery going to be our Wes Welker?

Thats why id like to see more hemingway outside with avery in the slot. Or move both our fast guys outside on third and the bowe show to the slot like the lions have been known to do with megatron.

TimBone
09-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Yea. He caught a pass Thursday night, and ten I believe he dropped a third down pass.

TimBone
09-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Is Hemingway a speed guy?

milkman
09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Is Hemingway a speed guy?

No.

He's a guy that runs crisp, disciplined routes, who just seems to get open.

Chief Roundup
10-03-2013, 06:27 AM
The way people were constantly bagging on Bowe for drops. I have been very surprised that people are not bitching about Avery and his 10 drops this season. He struggled with it in camp as well.

the Talking Can
10-03-2013, 06:29 AM
The way people were constantly bagging on Bowe for drops. I have been very surprised that people are not bitching about Avery and his 10 drops this season. He struggled with it in camp as well.

Bowe is the only WR in the league that drops passes

vailpass
10-03-2013, 06:32 AM

Still, KC fucked SF on the trade...

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Other than the game against Philly he's been pretty meh.

Of course our QB hates WRs...

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 07:13 AM

You are aware that McCluster made a lot of critical catches on top of that game-changing PR vs the NYG, right? Not being a dick or suggesting he is irreplaceable as I ask this, but I have to wonder why everyone is so down on him this year... :hmmm:

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 07:16 AM

Avery just doesn't seem to hang onto passes when contact strikes him as the ball arrives or just as his hands grab hold. I am not sure what most here define as a drop. If the ball gets to a receiver's hands, but immediate contact jars the ball loose, is that a drop? Because if so? Then yeah, our guys are dropping a ****-ton of balls.

JENKINSWINS
10-03-2013, 07:27 AM
One thing that bothers me is the long baggy sleeves Avery wears. I think he needs to get rid of those or find some more form fitting ones...

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2013/09/19/21/28/4xg1O.St.81.jpeg

loochy
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
One thing that bothers me is the long baggy sleeves Avery wears. I think he needs to get rid of those or find some more form fitting ones...

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2013/09/19/21/28/4xg1O.St.81.jpeg

it's working. Don't mess with it.

Dunerdr
10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
You are aware that McCluster made a lot of critical catches on top of that game-changing PR vs the NYG, right? Not being a dick or suggesting he is irreplaceable as I ask this, but I have to wonder why everyone is so down on him this year... :hmmm:

Thread was prior to the game vagasshole. Mclusky is trying to make me eat crow.

TEX
10-03-2013, 09:47 AM

I think it stems back to where he was picked and what the Chiefs needs were at the time. Most here seem to think we could have had DMC later in the draft, when several teams stated that they were targeting him early as well. Ironically Philly, with Reid, was one of those teams. Fact is DMC would not have lasted until the 4th or 5th round as some here believe so IF he was your man - you take him when you have the chance.

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I think it stems back to where he was picked and what the Chiefs needs were at the time. Most here seem to think we could have had DMC later in the draft, when several teams stated that they were targeting him early as well. Ironically Philly, with Reid, was one of those teams. Fact is DMC would not have lasted until the 4th or 5th round as some here believe so IF he was your man - you take him when you have the chance.

Oh okay. Yeah, he went earlier than I thought he should/would.

Either way, he's here.. so all that matters is what he can do for KC now. alex likes to throw to him, so McC must have some WR use along with the obvious returning skills.

... and yes, dunerdr.. I didn't realize his post was the morning prior to the last game. LOL at vagasshole too. I think that's a fun, new insult that needs more usage! :D

JENKINSWINS
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM

He scored a TD with no sleeves...

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Donnie+Avery+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Jacksonville+e89kbdEzun-l.jpg

Whenever I play a sport like basketball or flag football I need my arms free. Plus it gives defenders something to grab on to.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it but, I think it's more of an advantage to not have the sleeves. Maybe go with the half sleeves or something.

Chief Roundup
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Uh hello it is not working. That is the reason we are talking about him.

milkman
10-03-2013, 08:19 PM

I have been down on him since he was drafted.

He is neither fast, nor elusive.

His hands have been pretty reliable, but he not the playmaker that he was drafted to be, and I knew at that time, he wouldn't be.

Just a stupid pick, and I don't give a rat's ass if every other team in the league was in line to draft him in the second.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I have been down on him since he was drafted.

He is neither fast, nor elusive.

His hands have been pretty reliable, but he not the playmaker that he was drafted to be, and I knew at that time, he wouldn't be.

Just a stupid pick, and I don't give a rat's ass if every other team in the league was in line to draft him in the second.

He's been an ok pick. at least he's been productive. he's nothing spectacular, but he's not a washout either. I'll never understand the hatred some have for him here?
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
McCluster got a punt return TD.

That should buy him a few more years of uselessness on this roster before his contract runs out.

milkman
10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
He's been an ok pick. at least he's been productive. he's nothing spectacular, but he's not a washout either. I'll never understand the hatred some have for him here?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't hate him.

I just get irritated with the dumbass idea that some around here think he,s ever been any kind of playmaker.

BossChief
10-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Is he the quality of playmaker a team should be able to get in one of the strongest draft classes with the 36th pick in the draft?

No

Has he been solid, productive and dependable as a possession receiver?

No question

That little midget has moved the chains...

Deberg_1990
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't hate him.

I just get irritated with the dumbass idea that some around here think he,s ever been any kind of playmaker.

His biggest problem is his size. He's built too skinny to break any tackles.

O.city
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
He made more guys miss on that punt return than his entire career combined

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Has he been solid, productive and dependable as a possession receiver?

No question

That little midget has moved the chains...

LMAO

This is a classic example of you seeing a player you like pick up a couple of first downs and thinking he's more than he actually he is.

He has generated six first downs in four games.

That's...pedestrian.

Rausch
10-03-2013, 09:12 PM
LMAO

This is a classic example of you seeing a player you like pick up a couple of first downs and thinking he's more than he actually he is.

He has generated six first downs in four games.

That's...pedestrian.

Last week his hands were made of pong paddles.

No excuses.

Three of 4 weeks he's been good.

4 of 4 weeks he's been better than Baldwin...