PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Power Rankings Roundup

DaFace
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
In digging around for power rankings today, I ran across this blog (http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/10/1/4787804/nfl-power-rankings-summary-week-5-cowboys-drop-giants-eagles-too) that had kind of a cool summary of a bunch of different sites' power rankings. So, I stole the idea. Here ya go.

http://i.imgur.com/XtpKOmG.png

Disclaimers:
1. I did this all manually and probably screwed up typing some of these in.
2. I have no idea who some of these places are.
3. There are probably tons of others that could be included that aren't.
4. I know there are other power ranking threads, but I'm an attention whore.

DaFace
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Honestly, I'm kind of amazed that so many people rank us so high (#6 really?), but then you look around the NFL and realize that there are only 2-4 teams that are truly above the level you'd typically expect us to be competitive with. Crazy.

OnTheWarpath15
10-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I would think that whoever "Beatgraphs" is did not rank the Broncos 11th.

Typo?

vailpass
10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Honestly, I'm kind of amazed that so many people rank us so high (#6 really?), but then you look around the NFL and realize that there are only 2-4 teams that are truly above the level you'd typically expect us to be competitive with. Crazy.

What a difference a coaching and qb change can make...

Halfcan
10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Tired of the donks, I didn't think I could hate them more until this year.

Jakemall
10-01-2013, 04:44 PM

The NFL is crazy this season...bunch of even and losing teams and a few dominant teams.

Jakemall

They're all that stands between the Chiefs and a Superbowl appearance, imo.

vailpass

We love you though Can :D

hometeam
10-01-2013, 04:47 PM
We love you though Can :D

Die soon.

(not really)

vailpass
10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Die soon.

(not really)

:D

DaFace
10-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I would think that whoever "Beatgraphs" is did not rank the Broncos 11th.

Typo?

Nope.

http://beatgraphs.com/graphs.php?league=NFL

I make no claim that any of these places have any clue WTF they're talking about. I just replicated the list and added Advanced NFL stats because I like them.

Dave Lane
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
They're all that stands between the Chiefs and a Superbowl appearance, imo.

JFC the truefans are in a lather...

chefsos
10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Nope.

I make no claim that any of these places have any clue WTF they're talking about. I just replicated the list and added Advanced NFL stats because I like them.Looks like they base it heavily on who you beat over how many you beat. I guess. All rivalry aside, no way Denver is #11 by any sane measure.

DaFace
10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Looks like they base it heavily on who you beat over how many you beat. I guess. All rivalry aside, no way Denver is #11 by any sane measure.

Agreed. Could just be a weird blip; stats-based sites tend to be VERY volatile early in the season since the sample size is so small.

MTG#10
10-01-2013, 05:03 PM
25th best team in the league according to "Oddsshark". Last week we were the 4th worst team. Heh.

chefsos
10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Agreed. Could just be a weird blip; stats-based sites tend to be VERY volatile early in the season since the sample size is so small.Oh my God, here's what they do:

To explain how BeatGraphs work, it is easiest to start with the smallest unit, a BeatWin. When any team defeats another team they are awarded a BeatWin to that team. BeatWins are represented by the notation A→B where A has a BeatWin over B. A BeatPath is considered any chain of BeatWins that can lead from one team to another. For example, if A→B, A has a BeatPath to B from that direct win. If then B→C, B has a BeatPath to C, and therefore there is a BeatPath A→B→C which is to say A has a BeatPath to C through B (see Fig 1a). Through transitive logic we assume that since A has proven themselves better than B (A→B), and B has proven better than C (B→C), A is therefore better than C.

A few years ago, I could have used that same "logic" to say that my hometown Div III Wesley College football team was better than Nebraska.

keg in kc
10-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I'm kind of amazed that so many people rank us so high (#6 really?), but then you look around the NFL and realize that there are only 2-4 teams that are truly above the level you'd typically expect us to be competitive with. Crazy.It's like the old addage goes, the NFL is a handful of great teams, a handful of terrible teams, and a bunch of teams that will end up somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6

chefsos
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
BTW, before I forget, the chart is very cool.:thumb:

DaFace
10-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Oh my God, here's what they do:

To explain how BeatGraphs work, it is easiest to start with the smallest unit, a BeatWin. When any team defeats another team they are awarded a BeatWin to that team. BeatWins are represented by the notation A→B where A has a BeatWin over B. A BeatPath is considered any chain of BeatWins that can lead from one team to another. For example, if A→B, A has a BeatPath to B from that direct win. If then B→C, B has a BeatPath to C, and therefore there is a BeatPath A→B→C which is to say A has a BeatPath to C through B (see Fig 1a). Through transitive logic we assume that since A has proven themselves better than B (A→B), and B has proven better than C (B→C), A is therefore better than C.

A few years ago, I could have used that same "logic" to say that my hometown Div III Wesley College football team was better than Nebraska.

Huh. So why would the Broncos be so low given that they haven't lost to anyone?

Regardless, that one definitely doesn't pass the "sniff test." If I decide to try and update this regularly, it might be worth brainstorming a good list to include in the future.

notorious
10-01-2013, 05:15 PM
JFC the truefans are in a lather...

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/images/7/7e/Chiefsfans.gif

vailpass
10-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Huh. So why would the Broncos be so low given that they haven't lost to anyone?

Regardless, that one definitely doesn't pass the "sniff test." If I decide to try and update this regularly, it might be worth brainstorming a good list to include in the future.

Yeah that math seems off. Still, who cares. Let's see the numbers after 16 games. Interesting op though...

notorious
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Yeah that math seems off. Still, who cares. Let's see the numbers after 16 games. Interesting op though...

WTF?!

19 games my friend, 19. (Maybe 20 for most teams)

DaFace
10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Yeah, it's interesting nonetheless. I kind of think of the chart a sort of take on The Wisdom of Crowds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds). Any one source may be way off, but as a group, they tend to get things right.

chefsos
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah that math seems off. Still, who cares. Let's see the numbers after 16 games. Interesting op though...I don't know why I'm so interested in Beatgraphs, but I think I see the flaw in their logic: They seem to have missed BAL>HOU, which kills your guys' numbers.

notorious
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I trust Vegas odds.

vailpass
10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
WTF?!

19 games my friend, 19. (Maybe 20 for most teams)

Heh, yeah. I don't care until playoff seedings...

Simply Red
10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Bronco's fans who post here on CP.

whoman69
10-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Nope.

I make no claim that any of these places have any clue WTF they're talking about. I just replicated the list and added Advanced NFL stats because I like them.

They have a weighted system which is probably more accurate that ranks them 3rd.

vailpass
10-01-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't know why I'm so interested in Beatgraphs, but I think I see the flaw in their logic: They seem to have missed BAL>HOU, which kills your guys' numbers.

I don't know that they've proved much yet but the numbers are hard to argue with aren't they?

vailpass
10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Bronco's fans who post here on CP.

Meter on the fritz...u serious?

TimBone
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/images/7/7e/Chiefsfans.gif

Golly....that dude in the middle has to be the Donnie of their Truefan Big Lebowski trio.

Simply Red
10-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Meter on the fritz...u serious?

No I'm very serious, esp. you and Listo, not sure the deal w/ Cleveland Bronco - he says he's not a fan - So I don't really know the deal there, but I like Cleveland. Knowmo and Garcia are alright in my mind, MHM and Magichef are fine but Taco John has never been cool/friendly to me - so you all can have him.

Simply Red
10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
there needs to be a bridge between Chiefs Planet and Orange Mane (at least somewhat) - It's good to have civil discussion on the two - it's funner when we both field decent to good teams.

TimBone
10-01-2013, 05:53 PM
there needs to be a bridge between Chiefs Planet and Orange Mane (at least somewhat) - It's good to have civil discussion on the two - it's funner when we both field decent to good teams.

It would have to be select folks though....too many extreme homers and dirtbags from both sites.

DaFace
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
It would have to be select folks though....too many extreme homers and dirtbags from both sites.

Yeah, I think it's just fine as it is. Too much mixing would be complete chaos.

Mr. Laz
10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
personally i would put us at around 11th

are record is great but 11th is a bit more realistic

now if our Oline gets their shit together and we start performing all game long like we do the 4th quarter then i would move them up into the top 5.

vailpass
10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
No I'm very serious, esp. you and Listo, not sure the deal w/ Cleveland Bronco - he says he's not a fan - So I don't really know the deal there, but I like Cleveland. Knowmo and Garcia are alright in my mind, MHM and Magichef are fine but Taco John has never been cool/friendly to me - so you all can have him.

:thumb:

loochy
10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
are record is great but 11th is a bit more realistic

Our you shur?

Mr. Laz
10-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Our you shur?our u tarted?

Buck
10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Im stealing this for my chargers board. Thanks

DaFace