25. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs
26. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals
27. Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
28. Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings
29. EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
30. Geno Smith, New York Jets
31. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32. Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars

He explains his choices in the article...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254417/article/the-quarterback-index-ranking-the-starters-132

Do you guys agree?

Most people don't...

http://s10.postimg.org/df2jfqp0p/Screen_Shot_2013_10_02_at_8_27_25_AM.png
http://s22.postimg.org/vwe80w28x/Screen_Shot_2013_10_02_at_8_27_51_AM.png
http://s12.postimg.org/z1ikaknbh/Screen_Shot_2013_10_02_at_8_28_49_AM.png

loochy
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
By season's end I expect Alex to climb and I expect Eli and Romo to plummet.

That's all I'll say.

Shox
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
All I care about it Smith is 4-0.

BlackHelicopters
10-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Yep. In total agreement with all 32 selections. Amazing.

Straight, No Chaser
10-02-2013, 09:42 AM
His article is "deeply flawed"

nychief
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
brian hoyer and terrell pryor? are you fucking kidding me?

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
For right now, I agree . However, by season's end I expect Alex to climb and I expect Eli and Romo to plummet.

For right now you agree that Terell Pryor is a better starting QB than Alex Smith? As are Michael Vick and Brian Hoyer?

Jay Cutler's a better QB Tom Brady and Russell Wilson?

This guy is essentially compling a 'gunslinger ranking'. If your QB is going to be aggressive with the football, he's going to rank you high (regardless of how often said QB is also being very stupid with the football).

Smith should be in the middle tier and probably somewhere towards the top of it. This is a really brainless ranking of QBs.

warrior
10-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Drugs are bad mmmokkkkk

oldandslow
For right now you agree that Terell Pryor is a better starting QB than Alex Smith? As is Michael Vick and Brian Hoyer?

This guy is essentially compling a 'gunslinger ranking'. If your QB is going to be aggressive with the football, he's going to rank you high (regardless of how often said QB is also being very stupid with the football).

Smith should be in the middle tier and probably somewhere towards the top of it. This is a really brainless ranking of QBs.

This

vailpass
brian hoyer and terrell pryor? are you ****ing kidding me?

I'm going to throw up in my mouth for this but...Pryor didn't look bad at all.
Until Woodyard turned his lights out. Horrible play call.

BigCatDaddy
10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Dalton and Schaub should be higher.

notorious
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
LMAO

Fish
10-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Considering the QBs by themselves and what they actually contribute to the team, those rankings are fairly accurate IMO...

notorious
10-02-2013, 09:52 AM
CP needed burst, and this thread will provide.

Marcellus
10-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Most of that list is a dumpster fire. He is just stirring up shit.

Rasputin
10-02-2013, 09:55 AM
I am not a fan of Alex Smith yet but he is playing better than Ben Rothmorerapeburger I'd switch their rankings.

Mav
10-02-2013, 09:57 AM

You clearly haven't watched Andy Dalton at all this year.

he has looked absolutely awful.

He wasn't the reason they beat green bay. He was a huge reason they lost to Cleveland.

Also, as a BROWNS FAN, the fact that Hoyer is over smith, is fucking RETARDED.

And Terrell Pryor?

Stupid is stupid. PERIOD. Alex Smith should be no worse than top 12......

Sandy Vagina
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
For right now you agree that Terell Pryor is a better starting QB than Alex Smith? As are Michael Vick and Brian Hoyer?

Yep. Rosenthal going all potato-troll for the masses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/lisa_blake/gifs/Community/tumblr_m2gxssZzF21qdoo05o1_500.gif

mdchiefsfan
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

Smith should be in the middle tier and probably somewhere towards the top of it. This is a really CP ranking of QBs.

FYP :D

loochy
10-02-2013, 10:02 AM

I should have added the caveat *i only briefly glanced at the list*

Skyy God
10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Rosenthal's a fantasy guy, which probably skews his analysis.

Ace Gunner
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree, here is the comment on Smiff from the article:

"Notes: Wins are the best deodorant. They make Alex Smith's shortcomings something to worry about for another day. In Smith's defense, it's a deeply flawed receiver group in Kansas City. Dwayne Bowe looks slower"

I don't know if Bowe is heavier, I think he is slow in his routes because he doesn't feel comfortable in them yet.

Smiff has been somewhat disappointing, imo. Last weekend, sitting in the stands during the change to QTR 2 I felt Smiff was having a piss poor game. Avery was poop too right about then, the whole offense was just out of sinc. they looked like they were all going through paces, not playing a game. But, Smiff stayed calm & focused -- as I said in another thread, I had seats next to the QB booth on the sideline so he would get off field and set his helmet on the booth and the QB group gathered for discussions with the OC, Peterson.

Smiff began to put it together during that 2nd QTR and he finished strong. Avery overcame his penchant for stone handing passes, I give some credit to Smiff.

BlackHelicopters
10-02-2013, 10:45 AM
The only ranking that matters is the one in February. Which QB wins the SB? He is # 1.

Arrowhead Thunder
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
wtf, "pick 6" Schwab is ranked above Smith?

-King-
10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
How the fuck have Vick, Eli Manning, Kaepernick, Dalton, Flacco, RGIII, Pryor, Locker, Roethlisberger, and Hoyer played better than Smith? This is a terrible list.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoover
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
If its about Fantasy football its fine. If its about actual football I disagree.

Jakemall
10-02-2013, 11:13 AM
If its about Fantasy football its fine. If its about actual football I disagree.

When it comes to pundits..it almost always comes down to FF or what sells...spectacular displays of QBing excite the masses and are fun to talk about.... methodical grinding wins games but doesn't amaze anyone. Alex almost always grinds it unless he's in a situation where it won't work.

whoman69
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Schaub has thrown a pick 6 in three straight games.

mcaj22
10-02-2013, 11:19 AM

Even then, Smith is currently a fringe top 5 fantasy QB, I believe he is 6th or at least in the top 10 in standard points, so if your league does anything special points wise he might even be higher.

so it's not about fantasy, he's beating some of these "fantasy QBs" at their own ****ing game as well currently

mdchiefsfan
10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Even then, Smith is currently a fringe top 5 fantasy QB, I believe he is 6th or at least in the top 10 in standard points, so if your league does anything special points wise he might even be higher.

so it's not about fantasy, he's beating some of these "fantasy QBs" at their own ****ing game as well currently

The scrambling he's had to do definitely assists his numbers.

mcaj22
10-02-2013, 11:22 AM
The scrambling he's had to do definitely assists his numbers.

yea, exactly like it does Andrew Luck in fantasy

they have similar numbers, in fact Smith is actually beating him and everyone slobs on Lucks knob

Smith should be just under Luck and Ryan imo

MahiMike
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
I remember when we used to crumple up numbers and let our dog pick the lotto too.

Iconic
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Considering the QBs by themselves and what they actually contribute to the team, those rankings are fairly accurate IMO...

This. With the exception of Hoyer most of the QB's ahead of Alex have had a more significant impact on whether or not their team wins or loses a football game.

Whosurdaddy
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
1.Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
2.Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
3.Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
4.Tom Brady, New England Patriots
5.Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

6.Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
7.Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
8.Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
9.Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
10. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

11.Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
12.Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
13.Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
14.Eli Manning, New York Giants
15.Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs

16.Matt Schaub, Houston Texans
17.Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
18.Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
19.Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
20.Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins

21.Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals
22.Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans
23.Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
24.Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles
25.Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals

26.EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
27.Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns
28.Terrelle Pryor, Oakland Raiders
29.Geno Smith, New York Jets
30.Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings
31.Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32.Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars

Whosurdaddy
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
This. With the exception of Hoyer most of the QB's ahead of Alex have had a more significant impact on whether or not their team wins or loses a football game.

I don't know, you can see Smith's impact by looking at last year's performance. His scrambling on 3rd down has been a major factor in us being 4-0. He's not incredible, but he's been between solid to good the last few weeks.

ModSocks
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Swap Rivers and Ryan, Stafford and Cutler, Manning and Smith, Palmer and Bradford and i think the list makes sense.

ChiefsCountry
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
The first 19 are the best quarterbacks, I wouldn't rank them in that order that he has but he has that much right.

Sandy Vagina
10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Not so sure about the precise order of this QB chunk... but your overall list is SO MUCH BETTER than that moron in the OP. :D

mdchiefsfan
10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't know, you can see Smith's impact by looking at last year's performance. His scrambling on 3rd down has been a major factor in us being 4-0. He's not incredible, but he's been between solid to good the last few weeks.

Yup our 3rd down conversions wouldn't look half as good as they did without Smith's feet.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I can move a couple of guys by a spot or two but for the most part this list is pretty good.

mr. tegu
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM

You are correct. Eli Manning is having a significant impact on the Giants losing.

Iconic
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM

It's also his incompetence that keeps other teams in games until the very end. Eagles and Dallas game being a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Fish
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Yup. The Chiefs offense isn't asking much out of the QB position. How they're using Alex tells you a lot about his true abilities. Make short 7yd throws, don't turn it over, play safe, get Charles the ball. Alex Smith is doing that pretty well. But that doesn't necessarily make him a top 10 QB. It just means that the Chiefs know very well his strengths and limitations, and have done a good job of catering the offense to that. How they're handling Alex is what's producing the wins. Alex isn't really lighting it up with stats or carrying the offense with his abilities. He's just executing his minimal role well.

Iconic
10-02-2013, 11:54 AM
You are correct. Eli Manning is having a significant impact on the Giants losing.

Yeah, he's quite the game changer. ROFL

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

To many, aggressive = good.

It doesn't matter that the aggression has cost the Giants their season or that Flacco pretty much lost lost the game for the Ravens against an inferior football team last week.

Aggression equals awesome.

l4z4rd
10-02-2013, 11:59 AM

and what exactly has Wilson contributed to the Seahawks this season to warrant being ranked #10?

Mr. Laz
10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I would put Alex Smith somewhere between 10-15 probably.

our offense just hasn't been that good

Smith has been one of the better players on offense though

Mav
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
and what exactly has Wilson contributed to the Seahawks this season to warrant being ranked #10?

Just watch him play a couple of times. You will understand his value. His value doesn't always show in numbers. He does what he HAS to do. Its not fair to penalize him because he has a dominant run game, and a dominant defense, and the best home field in all of sports.

CoMoChief
10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
That list is horrible.

Terrell Pryor? Really?

Mav
10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
That list is horrible.

Terrell Pryor? Really?

Brian Hoyer. That made me laugh. And im a Cleveland guy.

No one is more responsible than for the browns last two wins than Josh Gordon.

Hoyer has done nothing special. Just that other than Gordon, they have no one who fears defenses.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Just watch him play a couple of times. You will understand his value. His value doesn't always show in numbers. He does what he HAS to do. Its not fair to penalize him because he has a dominant run game, and a dominant defense, and the best home field in all of sports.

Wilson does a lot of the same things for the Seahawks that Smith does for the Chiefs. And he does it with similar surrounding parts/schemes/styles.

Yet the national media fawns over Wilson and disregards Smith.

In the end, if you rank Wilson up there, you have to rank Smith somewhere in close proximity to him. Not ahead of him or even directly behind him, but within a handful of guys. Either you value that particular set of skills (premier game manager) or you don't.

Wilson's had 1 great game and 3 that have been similar to Smith's worst performance (IMO, Jax). He's run for key first downs, been a leader and otherwise allowed a savage home crowd and premier defense to do the heavy lifting. He's essentially done the exact same thing Smith's done.

I think it's pretty damn valuable, personally.

CoMoChief
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
So what are the major stat categories for QB?

QBR, Comp%, Yds, TD, INT

Well, Smith ranks as the following:

QBR: 89.9 (13th)
Comp%: 60.3 (18th)
Yards: 957 (21st)
TD: 7 (t-9th)
INT: 2 (t-3rd**)

Avg: 12.8

I think right now how the league is shaping up I'd rank Alex Smith anywhere in that #11-15 range.

He's not lighting up the stat board but some are decent/ok numbers. Not exactly worrisome by any means. What's big is that he's not turning over the football and at worst we're giving our defense a lot to play with, with our field position game w/ Colquitt in case we do have to punt and then the defense is wrecking havoc on the NFL right now. That's why we're winning. Our offense can be just mediocre as long as the defense is dominant. With good special teams play mixed in with that you "CAN" win football games that way. Now there will come times where we'll have to be productive on offense and may need to score a lot and hopefully Smith can help orchestrate that. Yeah there were 2 picks thrown last week but that's kinda addressed below. This offense hasn't come close to hitting it's peak. The Oline is banged up, our TE's (Smith's go to targets) are all banged up, Oline has had a horrible time trying to block this season. Those can all be excuses, and I know some teams have it worse than us right now so we can't exactly complain, but if this team's offense ever gets going, if they can create holes for Charles to start running wild, then this team is going to give Denver a ****ing nightmare of a time at least at Arrowhead when they come to town.

**Only Peyton Manning and Tony Romo have thrown for less - and you can really make an argument that both INT's thrown were not entirely his fault, esp the Charles INT, but they have to be included in the discussion obviously whether it's warranted or not.

JENKINSWINS
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
So what are the major stat categories for QB?

QBR, Comp%, Yds, TD, INT

Well, Smith ranks as the following:

QBR: 89.9 (13th)
Comp%: 60.3 (18th)
Yards: 957 (21st)
TD: 7 (t-9th)
INT: 2 (t-3rd**)

Avg: 12.8

I think right now how the league is shaping up I'd rank Alex Smith anywhere in that #11-15 range.

He's not lighting up the stat board but some are decent/ok numbers. Not exactly worrisome by any means. What's big is that he's not turning over the football and at worst we're giving our defense a lot to play with, with our field position game w/ Colquitt in case we do have to punt and then the defense is wrecking havoc on the NFL right now. That's why we're winning. Our offense can be just mediocre as long as the defense is dominant. With good special teams play mixed in with that you "CAN" win football games that way. Now there will come times where we'll have to be productive on offense and may need to score a lot and hopefully Smith can help orchestrate that. Yeah there were 2 picks thrown last week but that's kinda addressed below. This offense hasn't come close to hitting it's peak. The Oline is banged up, our TE's (Smith's go to targets) are all banged up, Oline has had a horrible time trying to block this season. Those can all be excuses, and I know some teams have it worse than us right now so we can't exactly complain, but if this team's offense ever gets going, if they can create holes for Charles to start running wild, then this team is going to give Denver a ****ing nightmare of a time at least at Arrowhead when they come to town.

**Only Peyton Manning and Tony Romo have thrown for less - and you can really make an argument that both INT's thrown were not entirely his fault, esp the Charles INT, but they have to be included in the discussion obviously whether it's warranted or not.

Best response by far. :toast:

Halfcan
10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
:facepalm::homer:donkeys

-King-
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Wilson does a lot of the same things for the Seahawks that Smith does for the Chiefs. And he does it with similar surrounding parts/schemes/styles.

In the end, if you rank Wilson up there, you have to rank Smith somewhere in close proximity to him. Not ahead of him or even directly behind him, but within a handful of guys. Either you value that particular set of skills (premier game manager) or you don't.

Wilson's had 1 great game and 3 that have been similar to Smith's worst performance (IMO, Jax). He's run for key first downs, been a leader and otherwise allowed a savage home crowd and premier defense to do the heavy lifting. He's essentially done the exact same thing Smith's done.

I think it's pretty damn valuable, personally.
This.

And after reading this post, I looked at the numbers. I actually thought Russel would have Smith in most categories. But Smith has almost 200 more passing yards, 1 more passing TD, 1 less INT (3 less turnovers overall), and 20 more rushing yards.

Seriously...what the fuck was Rosenthal smoking when he made this list?

Halfcan
10-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Eli should be down at the bottom just above Gabby- 0-4 and a Turnover machine.

Halfcan
10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Flucco still be ranked based on last year. 5 picks last week.

milkman
10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
To many, aggressive = good.

It doesn't matter that the aggression has cost the Giants their season or that Flacco pretty much lost lost the game for the Ravens against an inferior football team last week.

Aggression equals awesome.

There's difference between being aggressive and being stupid.

Eli Manning has taken stupid risks in an effort to make things happen.

Both interceptions and the TD pass to Bowe were prime examples of aggressive passes, but good decisions.

ILChief
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
FYP :D

No, geno would be one if it were a CP ranking

ThaVirus
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Russell Wilson is better than Alex Smith by quite a bit.

-King-
10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Not this year. He has more potential than Alex Smith. But this year he's the same game manager Alex Smith is.

Whosurdaddy
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM

I think he's better, but not by a lot. Wilson hasn't been playing spectacularly lately and Alex has been playing better than you would expect. I don't think it's that far apart actually.

Contrarian
10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I agree, here is the comment on Smiff from the article:

"Notes: Wins are the best deodorant. They make Alex Smith's shortcomings something to worry about for another day. In Smith's defense, it's a deeply flawed receiver group in Kansas City. Dwayne Bowe looks slower"

I don't know if Bowe is heavier, I think he is slow in his routes because he doesn't feel comfortable in them yet.

Smiff has been somewhat disappointing, imo. Last weekend, sitting in the stands during the change to QTR 2 I felt Smiff was having a piss poor game. Avery was poop too right about then, the whole offense was just out of sinc. they looked like they were all going through paces, not playing a game. But, Smiff stayed calm & focused -- as I said in another thread, I had seats next to the QB booth on the sideline so he would get off field and set his helmet on the booth and the QB group gathered for discussions with the OC, Peterson.

Smiff began to put it together during that 2nd QTR and he finished strong. Avery overcame his penchant for stone handing passes, I give some credit to Smiff.

Disappointing? We haven't trailed in a game yet, what is disappointing in that? It cracks me up that some of you think Smith needs to throw it down field, he has only three passes over 20 yards. blah blah blah!!! He doesn't have to throw it down field, WHY RISK IT?! Last week they came out a little slow, ok. No big deal. Uh 4th qtr uh look at the scoreboard!

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Both interceptions and the TD pass to Bowe were prime examples of aggressive passes, but good decisions.

I absolutely agree.

But when you look at the rankings like the ones Rosenthal's putting up here, he doesn't seem to be drawing much of a distinction.

Jay Cutler is aggressive to the point of absolutely retarded yet he has the guy ahead of Brady? C'mon.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Based on?

Not this year. He has more potential than Alex Smith. But this year he's the same game manager Alex Smith is.

Exactly.

He's doing exactly what Smith is doing. And when asked to 'lead' his team to a comeback against the Texans, he wasn't exactly up to the task. He pretty much tripped over himself for most of that 2nd half and without Schaub throwing the dumbest pick I've seen in a long long time, he'd have ended up with the L.

The cult of Russell Wilson has gone a little crazy. He's a damn talented, smart QB and is going to be one of the great leaders and winners in the game, IMO. That said, for the majority of his career thus far he has only been asked to manage games.

He's done for Seattle largely what Smith did for SF and is now doing for KC.

If you value what he's been doing, you have to also value what Smith's been doing.

Easy 6
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Wow, this guy and Williamson make a perfect pair... two big jokes.

mikey23545
10-02-2013, 02:33 PM
By season's end I expect Alex to climb and I expect Eli and Romo to plummet.

That's all I'll say.

The first 19 are the best quarterbacks, I wouldn't rank them in that order that he has but he has that much right.

It's also his incompetence that keeps other teams in games until the very end. Eagles and Dallas game being a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Some of you fuckers still can't get the taste of chocolate cum out of your mouths, I guess...

Saul Good
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM

The pick on the pass to Bowe was not a good decision. It was a terrible decision. Yes, Bowe failed to get inside position, but Smith has to recognize it when the defender has jumped the route from the start.

milkman
10-02-2013, 02:43 PM
The pick on the pass to Bowe was not a good decision. It was a terrible decision. Yes, Bowe failed to get inside position, but Smith has to recognize it when the defender has jumped the route from the start.

If Bowe runs a crisp route, that DB has go through Bowe.

Bowe ran a lazy route, and Smith paid the price.

ThaVirus
10-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Based on?

100% eye test.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a single thing that Smith does better than Wilson besides being safe.

ThaVirus
10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I think he's better, but not by a lot. Wilson hasn't been playing spectacularly lately and Alex has been playing better than you would expect. I don't think it's that far apart actually.

I will concede this point.

Based on statistics and team success, you could make the argument that Alex Smith is having a better season than Aaron Rodgers. I don't believe Smith is anywhere close to Rodgers' level though.

ThaVirus
10-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I will concede this point.

Based on statistics and team success, you could make the argument that Alex Smith is having a better season than Aaron Rodgers. I don't believe Smith is anywhere close to Rodgers' level though.

Heh. Never mind this one.. Just realized A-Rod's only played 3 games.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 02:56 PM

By that logic about 2/3 of the quick slants you'll ever see thrown are terrible decisions.

It's easy to jump a quick slant and most DBs do it. The problem is that the nature of the route makes jumping it irrelevant if the WR runs it right.

It was poor execution by Bowe.

Smith had a lot to do with the Charles pick when he threw the ball so far behind Jamaal, but on the Bowe interception he threw that ball on time and on target. It looked to me like he even made the right read. He made the throw that so many of you want him to make - he fired it into a tight space and trusted his WR to make the play.

But Bowe didn't.

I still think a large part of the poor production from Bowe is because Smith hasn't developed trust in him yet. Plays like that will certainly not help.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
100% eye test.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a single thing that Smith does better than Wilson besides being safe.

And yet from a production standpoint Smith has been no worse than Wilson's equal.

You say the only thing he's better at Wilson than is 'being safe' but if the production is so similar despite beater physical tools from Wilson, couldn't you pretty easily amend that to say he simply makes better decisions than Wilson on balance?

I don't ultimately take umbrage with the idea that Wilson's better - I think he is. But to say he's a lot better is to pretty much ignore their respective resume's of late.

Mr. Laz
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
If Bowe runs a crisp route, that DB has go through Bowe.

Bowe ran a lazy route, and Smith paid the price.

this

I think even Bowe knew it and that's why at the last minute he tried to adjust and bounce it outside. He can do better, needs to do better.

Sandy Vagina
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM

That's simply not fair. This is a quick timing throw. How is the QB supposed to know that a WR like Bowe will get out-muscled/out-positioned for the spot?

Alex is throwing the ball as Bowe makes his cut. If he waits to see who gets position, by then, it's generally too late. It is expected that the stronger WR who knows where he is going can get the inside spot over the weaker CB that doesn't know where he is going.

:hmmm::shake:

Halfcan
10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
That's simply not fair. This is a quick timing throw. How is the QB supposed to know that a WR like Bowe will get out-muscled/out-positioned for the spot?

Alex is throwing the ball as Bowe makes his cut. If he waits to see who gets position, by then, it's generally too late. It is expected that the stronger WR who knows where he is going can get the inside spot over the weaker CB that doesn't know where he is going.

:hmmm::shake:

No worries- now we don't have to hear the announcers jinx us by bringing it up.

ThaVirus
10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
And yet from a production standpoint Smith has been no worse than Wilson's equal.

You say the only thing he's better at Wilson than is 'being safe' but if the production is so similar despite beater physical tools from Wilson, couldn't you pretty easily amend that to say he simply makes better decisions than Wilson on balance?

I don't ultimately take umbrage with the idea that Wilson's better - I think he is. But to say he's a lot better is to pretty much ignore their respective resume's of late.

That's a fair argument.

We agree that Wilson is better, just not on how much.

Ace Gunner
10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Disappointing? We haven't trailed in a game yet, what is disappointing in that? It cracks me up that some of you think Smith needs to throw it down field, he has only three passes over 20 yards. blah blah blah!!! He doesn't have to throw it down field, WHY RISK IT?! Last week they came out a little slow, ok. No big deal. Uh 4th qtr uh look at the scoreboard!

whoa slow your roll son -- I said "somewhat disappointing" and I gave a brief script about it.

Keep in mind sitting in the stands I can see the whole play develop and I can see WR's get off the ball, into their routes -- you guys at home can't see that very often.

And, you have me pegged wrong -- I am one of the posters here that has at very least, stuck up for Smiff and this trade.

Ace Gunner
10-02-2013, 03:56 PM
oh, and we did trail in the DAL game

saphojunkie
10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
If it weren't for Schaub's retarded interception, everyone would have been talking about how Russell Wilson threw that game away on his own terrible pick.

And I ****ing LOVE russ.

alex smith should absolutely be in the top 15 and probably top ten of this list right now. These are just the QBs I HAVE WATCHED lose a game for their team this year and are ranked higher:

12. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles
14. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
15. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
16. Eli Manning, New York Giants
17. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
18. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
22. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans
24. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

I have to argue that Smith should be above every one of these guys, or eight spots higher. He hasn't cost his team a game, and all them have.

That would put him at #17, which is still low, but I think much more fair.

mdchiefsfan
10-02-2013, 05:38 PM
No, geno would be one if it were a CP ranking

Touché

mdchiefsfan
10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
If it weren't for Schaub's retarded interception, everyone would have been talking about how Russell Wilson threw that game away on his own terrible pick.

And I ****ing LOVE russ.

alex smith should absolutely be in the top 15 and probably top ten of this list right now. These are just the QBs I HAVE WATCHED lose a game for their team this year and are ranked higher:

12. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles
14. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
15. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
16. Eli Manning, New York Giants
17. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
18. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
22. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans
24. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

I have to argue that Smith should be above every one of these guys, or eight spots higher. He hasn't cost his team a game, and all them have.

That would put him at #17, which is still low, but I think much more fair.

Agreed.

Halfcan
10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Keep doubting Alex and he will keep winning!!

Gravedigger
10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
It's nice to see other fans sticking up for Alex, I think he's a top 15 QB in the league, not 25. Does he belong above Romo.... maybe but definetly above Vick and Eli if you're going off this year so far.

BigCatDaddy
10-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow, people are inferring a lot from a 4 game sample size. Hell, I'm surprised some of you didn't already put John Buck into the HOF after his April this year :facepalm:

Simply Red
10-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Yup our 3rd down conversions wouldn't look half as good as they did without Smith's feet.

he's relatively smart about it too. Seems to have decent vision.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
ROFL that guys like Vick and Romo are rated higher than Smith. you guys can keep your fantasy stats....ill take the QB who makes better decisions in crunch time. every single time.....
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
10-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't see any way you can infer that Russel Wilson and Cutler are top 10 QB's this year.

tk13
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Tom Brady is 4-0 throwing to a bunch of guys 5 people couldn't name. I'm pretty sure his receivers are the guys from the Key and Peele football intro sketch. There's no way he's outside the top 3. If Manning wasn't having an all-time great stretch Brady should probably be #1. He still might be deserving of 1 despite of Manning's numbers.

mcaj22
10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Tom Brady is 4-0 throwing to a bunch of guys 5 people couldn't name. I'm pretty sure his receivers are the guys from the Key and Peele football intro sketch. There's no way he's outside the top 3. If Manning wasn't having an all-time great stretch Brady should probably be #1. He still might be deserving of 1 despite of Manning's numbers.

Phillip Rivers has to throw to Eddie Royal as his best WR, way worse

Baby Lee
10-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, people are inferring a lot from a 4 game sample size. Hell, I'm surprised some of you didn't already put John Buck into the HOF after his April this year :facepalm:

Like you put the choco penis in the BigCat rusty wagon wheel?

tk13
10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Phillip Rivers has to throw to Eddie Royal as his best WR, way worse

Antonio Gates is having a great bounce back year. He's about 100,000 times better than anything the Patriots run out there.

Julian Edelman is on pace to catch 136 passes this year. 136. That'd make a run at the NFL record. He's a 7th round pick that had 69 career catches in 4 seasons before this year.

Their #2 and #3 most productive receivers are Kenbrell Tompkins and Aaron Dobson. Their best TE has been Michael Hoomanawanui. I'm not sure 90% of the QB's in the NFL would win 6 games with that group.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-02-2013, 09:02 PM

No, they are going off a 23-5-1 record . That is no fluke.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Brady has played as well as anybody this year. List is a joke.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-02-2013, 09:14 PM
LMAO Mr. Rosenthal just don't appreciate a good ball-protector.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Brady owns Manning

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Brady owns Manning

All day long, Hootie.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
BB has Jugheads nuts in a jar somewhere as well I reckon

Jiu Jitsu Jon
10-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Carson Palmer Sings the Blues...

ThaVirus
10-03-2013, 12:14 AM
I've never been a fan of Brady but he's getting shit done this season.

I'd probably go:

P. Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

After that there is a huuuge fucking gap to the next guy.

ThaVirus
10-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Rivers has been balling this year.. He was hot ass mixed with garbage for the past few seasons though so fuck him.

10-03-2013, 12:39 AM

Jags were up on us 2-0

KCSLC2008
10-03-2013, 01:37 AM
His rankings have never been something to take seriously. When he first came out with rankings, he said that the 12th QB could be better now than the 10th or 8th, but they fell in his tier. His tiers were like "Up and Comers" "Veterans" "Elite", etc. They weren't mutually exclusive and self-admittedly weren't rankings. They were ranked within the tier, so Smith is 4th of those six, in a way. Obviously this tier is below the cream of the crop, but still, his rankings are convoluted. There's a chance that he actually thinks Smith is 16th best (middle of the pack) despite leaving him off the "middle of the pack" list. Note that those in the middle of the pack category are mostly young guys that could jump in either direction.

As to Smith, I'm ok with him being where he is. If he succeeds further and they say that it's all defense, all Charles, all Toub, then it'll make me a bit upset... until I realize we're in the playoffs winning and they're a journalist.

ChiliConCarnage
10-03-2013, 04:42 AM

or the fact that he threw for 130 yards in a game that went to overtime. This board would crash if Alex struggled like that

Russell has nearly 200 yards less passing this season than Alex with less TDs and more INTs. Alex even has more yards rushing and a slightly better avg yards/rush. That last part is almost certainly an aberration but hey if we're ranking people based on what they've done so far..

Russell's played a tougher schedule for sure but the guy has him ranked 10th and Alex 25th. It's not like Wilson carried his team to victory against the 9ers or Texans. They mostly won in spite of him really.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 05:00 AM
100% eye test.

Russell Wilson is 7 out of 12 on throws over 20 yards this year.

Alex Smith is 1 out of 5.

That's your difference.

Matt Cassel has more completions on throws over 20 yards than Alex Smith this year.

vailpass
10-03-2013, 05:04 AM

That's your difference.

Matt Cassel has more completions on throws over 20 yards than Alex Smith this year.

Serious question: what's Brady and Peyton's stats in this same category?

ILChief
10-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Jags were up on us 2-0

Dallas was up on us too

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Serious question: what's Brady and Peyton's stats in this same category?

7/14 PM

5/17 TB

vailpass
10-03-2013, 05:41 AM
7/14 PM

5/17 TB

Thanks. Neither are really that high, that's what I was wondering...

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks. Neither are really that high, that's what I was wondering...

7 completions of 20 air yards or more is pretty good at this point of the season.

Only 6 QBs have more.

The leader, of course, is my stud Geno.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Manning went down the field a lot last year and was elite at it. 33 for 72.

4th most completions, 3rd best completion percentage.

Brady was 7th.

vailpass
10-03-2013, 06:07 AM
7 completions of 20 air yards or more is pretty good at this point of the season.

Only 6 QBs have more.

Where does your did rank in turn overs?

milkman
10-03-2013, 06:52 AM

That's your difference.

The myth is that completions over 20 yards matter.
What's important is attempts.

You can't spread the defense if you don't try.
If Alex Smith were to get the average attempts to 3 per game through the rest of the season, even if he only completed 1 of 4, that would stretch the defense and open up the short game and the running game.

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Alex has been moving the ball down the field on defenses for the last 40 or so games... and doing it the way we have been seeing this season. The Chiefs are 11th in offensive efficiency so far... and we know it isn't because JC has been shredding defenses on the ground.

This whole attitude of "if you don't take lots of deep shots, a defense will take note and shut you down" has been shattered long ago. If his lack of deep pass attempts were really an issue, he would not be effective or on the field anymore at this point.

I really wish people could see and separate that fantasy football aspect of dazzling deep throws and yardage from real football. :(

whoman69
10-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Too much credit given for past history instead of what they are doing this year.

BigCatDaddy
10-03-2013, 07:56 AM
No, they are going off a 23-5-1 record . That is no fluke.

Not just Alice. I understand Rivers has had a good start, but was a dumpster fire before that. So in 4 magical games he's elite again?

Mav
10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
How is that stat possible with the over 20 yards? He alone in this last game completed that pass to brock, and that pass to Bowe for the td?

How the hell is 1 for 5 accurate?

Mav
10-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Only 6 QBs have more.

NO. Just ****ing no.

Decent prospect that will grow?

Sure, but I wasn't allowed to call JOSH GORDON a stud, you for damn sure aint getting away with calling Geno Turnover or Bust Smith a stud.....

And before you go full retard. REMEMBER, I LIKE GENO.......

milkman
10-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Alex has been moving the ball down the field on defenses for the last 40 or so games... and doing it the way we have been seeing this season. The Chiefs are 11th in offensive efficiency so far... and we know it isn't because JC has been shredding defenses on the ground.

This whole attitude of "if you don't take lots of deep shots, a defense will take note and shut you down" has been shattered long ago. If his lack of deep pass attempts were really an issue, he would not be effective or on the field anymore at this point.

I really wish people could see and separate that fantasy football aspect of dazzling deep throws and yardage from real football. :(

No he hasn't.
As has been posted numerous times, only a couple of other QBs have thrown fewer 20 yards or more passes.

Not impresses with efficiency against the dregs of the league.

Should he continue to attack defenses the way he did in the second half on Sunday, he would be a QB we can win with in the playoffs.

Easy 6
10-03-2013, 09:00 PM

This... if he had Mannings receivers, he'd be murdering people.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2013, 07:23 PM
How is that stat possible with the over 20 yards? He alone in this last game completed that pass to brock, and that pass to Bowe for the td?

How the hell is 1 for 5 accurate?

In the air. Not YAC induced.

Simply Red
09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Yep. Rosenthal going all potato-troll for the masses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/lisa_blake/gifs/Community/tumblr_m2gxssZzF21qdoo05o1_500.gif

he's at it again.

Simply Red
09-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com.

Our prime concern with these Chiefs remains the roster construction. They have a few true superstars in Charles and outside linebacker Justin Houston. There are solid veterans like Smith, linebacker Derrick Johnson and Maclin. And there isn’t much else. The Chiefs have poor depth throughout the roster and subpar starters at a variety of positions throughout the offensive line, defensive line and back seven on defense.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2015/09/08/kansas-city-chiefs-2015-nfl-preview/

Strongside
09-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Our prime concern with these Chiefs remains the roster construction. They have a few true superstars in Charles and outside linebacker Justin Houston. There are solid veterans like Smith, linebacker Derrick Johnson and Maclin. And there isn’t much else. The Chiefs have poor depth throughout the roster and subpar starters at a variety of positions throughout the offensive line, defensive line and back seven on defense.

Wat?

Dayze
09-08-2015, 06:59 PM
POOR DEPTH. LMAO

Chromatic
09-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that Matt Verderame dude took it super personally that Rosenthal whiffed big on some things about the Chiefs

To be fair, Rosenthal was WAY off with some of the shit he wrote. He's also blocking dudes on twitter who call him on it.

KChiefs1
09-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Is this guy for real?

Rain Man
09-08-2015, 09:04 PM
This may be the worst ranking list I've ever seen. Did he do it just to get attention or something?

MotherfuckerJones
09-08-2015, 09:07 PM
ROFL at this fucking idiot.

Poor depth? ROFL

EJ Gaines? ROFL he's not even in this team.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Poor depth ROFL This clown gets paid to cover the NFL Wow....just wow he is awful at his job.

Rain Man
09-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Oh. I just noticed that this is a two year old thread and article. What's going on here?

Pasta Little Brioni
09-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Oh. I just noticed that this is a two year old thread and article. What's going on here?

It got bumped by the clean break kid and Mr. Rosenthal made a fool of himself yet again.

Simply Red
09-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I always look at the thread date - but not everyone does, I apologize if it caused confusion - but the link I posted w/ the bump was from today. It's equally as retarted, (even if OP header would have been released today.)

BigCatDaddy
09-08-2015, 09:44 PM

Rosenthal and Vegas trolling CP hard obviously.

MotherfuckerJones
09-08-2015, 10:42 PM
As for Andy Reid's shirts, yes they're more entertaining than your thinking capacity Mr. Rosenthal.