PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Marcus cooper - ideal role

chiefzilla1501
10-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Ok, here's the good news. Kid can flat out play. So the question now becomes, how do you get himon the field.

Curious to hear some thoughts. I don't think he'd be helpful at all as a nickel back. Would you consider moving flowers more to a slot role in nickel? If you were to redo the Dallas game, would you start Sean Smith and cooper as your 1 and 2 guys?

This isn't to demote flowers, by the way. I just thinkthe cChiefs need to find creative ways to get cooper on the field more often.

Omaha
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, here's the good news. Kid can flat out play. So the question now becomes, how do you get himon the field.

Curious to hear some thoughts. I don't think he'd be helpful at all as a nickel back. Would you consider moving flowers more to a slot role in nickel? If you were to redo the Dallas game, would you start Sean Smith and cooper as your 1 and 2 guys?

This isn't to demote flowers, by the way. I just thinkthe cChiefs need to find creative ways to get cooper on the field more often.

ROFL

Um, no.

Kylo Ren
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.... Give him some time before you crown his ass!

Mr. Laz
10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
. So the question now becomes, how do you get him on the field.
easy ... He takes Dunta Robinson's slot as the first DB off the bench.

Since Flowers is hurt that means Cooper starts until flowers comes back. Then Cooper becomes the nickle. Maybe Robinson starts working at Free Safety or just left out, i don't really care. The way he flailed around against the giants was Jalil Brown terrible.

BlackHelicopters
10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
The dude has had one good game, hell even just one good half.

patteeu
10-03-2013, 10:37 AM
There's no reason to find snaps for Cooper at the expense of a healthy Flowers. If Flowers is a better matchup against the slot in a nickel situation let him shift. In the base defense, Flowers should be on the field and Cooper should be on the bench.

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
It's Flowers and Sean Smith, but in 3 WR sets? Let Cooper play outside, and put Flowers in the slot. Cooper has the ideal length, physicality, and recovery speed to play outside in this scheme. I am skeptical of him playing the slot.

^ also depends on the individual WRs they face.

It is a bit early to believe Cooper is good enough, but I think he has earned some extra opportunities... whereas Dunta should have to earn back some trust.

Rain Man
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
The dude has had one good game, hell even just one good half.

Yeah, this. He's earned more chances, but let's not get too excited until he shows that he can do it consistently.

Skyy God
10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Assuming he continues to develop, nickle corner who occasionally flexes out against physical receivers (Josh Gordon and Andre Johnson come to mind).

TimeForWasp
10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
He is naturally a wide receiver. Hmm , Maybe wide receiver?

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 10:50 AM
He is naturally a wide receiver. Hmm , Maybe wide receiver?

Doubt it... but a fun experiment to consider in the offseason, maybe. And that's if he turns out to be shit at CB and other WRs don't step up. He just wouldn't have the time now to suddenly start absorbing the offensive playbook.

Dunerdr
10-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Dumbass hes an athletic player with room to grow not a superstar. Yet.

CaliforniaChief
10-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Right now he's just depth. Good depth. And if for some reason Flowers can't go on Sunday, I'll be confident in him. But Flowers is still the man.

Phobia
10-03-2013, 11:03 AM
There's no reason to find snaps for Cooper at the expense of a healthy Flowers. If Flowers is a better matchup against the slot in a nickel situation let him shift. In the base defense, Flowers should be on the field and Cooper should be on the bench.

This. End of discussion.

Mav
10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I think with Cooper you can do with him what the 49ers were doing with Culliver. Sean Smith is comfortable at the RCB, so you can put cooper in at LCB, and slide Flowers into the slot. ideally, this is a great thing against the Broncos. That leaves Eric Berry to deal with Julius Thomas, puts Cooper on DT, and puts your best cover corner on Wes Welker.

He has to prove it more, but the skill set is all there.

Mav
10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Assuming he continues to develop, nickle corner who occasionally flexes out against physical receivers (Josh Gordon and Andre Johnson come to mind).

Good luck with that. No one else is having luck with him yet.

:D

Beer Bong
10-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I liked what I saw of Cooper but, he hasn't even started a game yet.

ThaVirus
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I think with Cooper you can do with him what the 49ers were doing with Culliver. Sean Smith is comfortable at the RCB, so you can put cooper in at LCB, and slide Flowers into the slot. ideally, this is a great thing against the Broncos. That leaves Eric Berry to deal with Julius Thomas, puts Cooper on DT, and puts your best cover corner on Wes Welker.

He has to prove it more, but the skill set is all there.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hope the kid would be up to the challenge though..

Direckshun
10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Considering the Chiefs play in the dime 60% of the time, he should have no problem getting snaps.

the Talking Can
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
yeah, lets move flowers to make way for...sorry, was going to start laughing

Pasta Little Brioni
10-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Mav you refer to that turd as DT again, I take back the good things I have been saying.

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Mav you refer to that turd as DT again, I take back the good things I have been saying.

must be a Derrick Thomas thing?

FRCDFED
10-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Chiefs may have a find in CB Cooper

By Adam Teicher | October 3, 2013 9:30:31 AM PDT
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have six former first-round draft picks who either start or play a lot on their defense, which is a formidable one. The Chiefs have allowed fewer points than any other NFL team.

G. Newman Lowrance/AP Photo
In four games for the Chiefs this season, rookie cornerback Marcus Cooper has four tackles.
But for all of those high draft picks, good defenses become great by developing the players who were low-round choices. That appears to be going on now with rookie cornerback Marcus Cooper, a seventh-round pick.

Cooper wasn’t even drafted by the Chiefs. He went instead to the San Francisco 49ers. But the Chiefs liked Cooper’s 6-2 frame, liked the way he played in college at Rutgers and liked him when they played against the 49ers in the preseason.

So when he was placed on waivers before the start of the regular season, the Chiefs claimed him, believing he could eventually become a productive player in the press-man coverage system.

That time came against the New York Giants last Sunday, when the Chiefs played without one of their starting corners, Brandon Flowers. Cooper started and gave up only one catch for nine yards against quarterback Eli Manning and a group of receivers that includes Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks.

The Giants, surprisingly, didn’t truly come after Cooper. That might come as soon as this Sunday, when the Chiefs pay against the Titans in Nashville, Tenn. Flowers’ balky knee kept him from practicing on Wednesday.

Cooper, though, looks like he has what it takes to play corner the way the Chiefs want it played. He said he was delighted to come to a team that plays as much man-to-man coverage as the Chiefs do.

“It works great for me," he said. “I’m a bigger guy, long arms, so I use that to my advantage."

Cooper should have a lot of room to develop. He played only two seasons at cornerback at Rutgers after switching from wide receiver. At one time, Cooper planned to be the next Jerry Rice or Randy Moss.

“I could name them all," he said. “I watched all the receivers. I tried to emulate all of those guys. When I switched (positions), I didn’t have any idea of who (played cornerback), so I didn’t know who I should try to be like or who I could try to get some tips from.

“This is very new to me. I thought I was a great receiver, like everybody should think about themselves. For them to tell me I wasn’t able to do it at receiver and to move me to defense, I was a little hurt."

Cooper eventually got over the hurt. And, who knows? Maybe someday a young corner will try to play like him. Based on the way he played against the Giants in his first NFL start, youthful players could find worse players to imitate.

Sandy Vagina
10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Wonderful. Now the fans will despise him all because the media is over-hyping him.

"... and so it goes.. and so it goes.. and this is why the media blows... "

FRCDFED
10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Chiefs' waiver moves already looking solid

By Adam Teicher | October 1, 2013 7:30:23 AM PDT
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It’s possible the careers of tight end Sean McGrath and cornerback Marcus Cooper have peaked and the two will never play as well for the Kansas City Chiefs as they did in Sunday’ 31-7 win over the New York Giants.

If that’s the case, the Chiefs still received something for their investment in McGrath and Cooper. The Chiefs claimed them off waivers shortly before the start of the regular season, McGrath from Seattle and Cooper from San Francisco.

But McGrath and Cooper, forced into the lineup by injuries, might have staying power. McGrath, who inherited the starting spot because Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce were unable to play, caught five passes and scored the Chiefs’ first touchdown.

Cooper, a rookie drafted by the 49ers in the seventh round, started in place of Brandon Flowers, who has a sore knee. Cooper played well enough that he should be able to keep a role once Flowers returns.

Credit general manager John Dorsey for acquiring both players. They were low-risk moves, two of the seven players the Chiefs claimed off waivers at the start of the season to help them improve the bottom of their depth chart.

The Chiefs had nothing to lose and a lot to gain and already those moves look good. Cooper in particular looks like he could help the Chiefs for some time. He’s 6-2, fast and a converted wide receiver who played just two seasons of cornerback in college at Rutgers. If nothing else, he could provide the Chiefs a third cornerback after the starters, Flowers and Sean Smith.

“He’s just starting to learn the position,’’ Dorsey said. “But he has a natural feel for the position. He has that length you like in a cornerback. He’s got the recovery speed you like. There’s still a lot of development left with him. A lot of development.’’

Cooper took the Arrowhead Stadium field Sunday against Eli Manning, who was throwing to a group of receivers that includes Victor Cruz. He wasn’t fazed.

“He sure is competitive,’’ Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “I sure appreciated seeing that. That’s a pretty good receiving group there and he didn’t bow down. He came out and challenged and played good, competitive football.’’

Dante84
10-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Man.... if he is legit, would be pretty sweet to see him come in during nickel situations. Cooper, Flowers and Smith on the field at the same time, with Flowers in the slot would be sweet.

Flowers roaming the middle of the field snagging every ball thrown his way... icky.

tyton75
10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Nothing wrong with some extra CB depth.

RealSNR
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Reminds me a lot of Sam Shields from the Packers, who barely played any CB at all for Miami in college.

Undrafted in 2010, picked stuff up gradually throughout the season, and proved to be damned valuable to the Packers in the Super Bowl when nearly all of their defensive backfield went down with injuries.

-King-
10-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Jesus Christ... seriously?

Mav
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Sorry. didn't know that was a no go around here.

I have to admit, should of known better.

I was just calling him what donkey turds call him.

noted. wont happen again.

Mav
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hope the kid would be up to the challenge though..

More thinking that Wes Welker is probably the first priority, and with what Dez Bryant did to Flowers, and Thomas being roughly the same size, perhaps Cooper, all 6'2 of him, and being a very physical guy himself, could match up with him better than Flowers, who I believes pure man to man skill would line him up better with Wes Welker.

I would fully expect in this scenario to make Eric Decker, just like he did Riley Cooper.

Invisible.