PDA

View Full Version : Football Late Night Bullshit: best leaguewide QB situation ever?

BossChief
10-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Is this the best depth of quality at the quarterback position ever?

We have veteran probable hall of famers starting all over the place that are still arguably in their prime and playing at amazing levels.

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

We have a second tier of passers that have displayed elite ability and are still in the prime years that could all play themselves into HOF talks if they have a couple more good years.

Matt Ryan
Eli Manning
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler
Phillip Rivers
Joe Flacco

We have an amazing amount of young and extremely talented quarterbacks in their first handful or less of NFL time that have shown the ability to step up into the higher groups, if they aren't already there.

Russel Wilson
Robert Griffin III
Colin Kaepernick
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tanehill
Jake Locker
Andy Dalton
Matt Stafford

We have a group of solid quarterbacks that any one of them could break out

Alex Smith
Matt Shaub
Sam Bradford
Mike Vick
Tony Romo
Cam Newton

I grew up in the Marino, Montana, Aikman, Cunningham, Elway, Kelly era and I think this group of quarterbacks -leaguewide- is as good as any era that I've seen.

Rausch
10-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Flacco, Rivers, and Cutler have elite talent but very meh careers...

nychief
10-03-2013, 10:41 PM
The league has changed, regulated defense out of the game, it is hard to compare eras.

DaFace
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Your list of potential hall of famers is ridiculous.

BossChief
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM

I think there is plenty of time for Cutler, Flacco, Rivers and Ryan to win 2 or more superbowls. That changes perceptions on quarterbacks and they each lead very talented teams that all have a chance at winning it all.

Rausch
10-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Who out of the first four isn't a lock outside of Rodgers?...

In58men
10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Go to sleep

Rausch
10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I think there is plenty of time for Cutler, Flacco, Rivers and Ryan to win 2 or more superbowls. That changes perceptions on quarterbacks and they each lead very talented teams that all have a chance at winning it all.

Rivers isn't winning $#it...

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Why isn't Geno on this list?:harumph:

ClevelandBronco
10-03-2013, 10:58 PM
The league has changed, regulated defense out of the game, it is hard to compare eras.

This.

Phobia
10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Quit reading when somebody listed "HOF" anywhere in the same thread with Philip Rivers.

cdcox
10-03-2013, 11:15 PM
My HOF predictions:

Tom Brady - in
Peyton Manning - in
Drew Brees - in (he's top 6 in yaradage plus a SB win)
Aaron Rodgers - he has the SB win, he will have the yardage, plus he's really good.
Matt Ryan - Potential to be top 5 in yardage when it's all done, but he needs a SB win or to be considered one of the top 3 QBs in the league over a period of 3 to 4 years. Once Manning, Brady and Brees retire, he should be there. Prediction: in, but I'm shaky on this one.
Eli Manning: in. 2 superbowl wins and will be top 10 in yardage. Big market and last name help.
Ben Rothlisberger in. 2 SB wins and will be top 10 in yardage. Plays for premier franchise.
Jay Cutler - out. Surprisingly, he is on the same age/yardage trajectory as Rogers, but has never been considered a top 5 QB in the league and won't win a SB.
Phillip Rivers - out. He's behind Rogers and Roethlisberger in both yardage and SB wns. He was considered to be a top QB for a couple years and looks good this year. But he needs a SB win that he will never get.
Joe Flacco -- similar age/yardage situation as Ryan. Has one SB win under his belt. Prediction: in.

So I'm predicting 8/10 HOFers from this group.

Rausch
10-03-2013, 11:17 PM
My HOF predictions:
Joe Flacco -- similar age/yardage situation as Ryan. Has one SB win under his belt. Prediction: in.

No fuck'n way...

Direckshun
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
I think any era that has both Brady and Manning is as good as any in NFL history.

Rausch
10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
I think any era that has both Brady and Manning is as good as any in NFL history.

Montana/Elway/Marino/Kelly...

-King-
10-03-2013, 11:22 PM
My HOF predictions:

Tom Brady - in
Peyton Manning - in
Drew Brees - in (he's top 6 in yaradage plus a SB win)
Aaron Rodgers - he has the SB win, he will have the yardage, plus he's really good.
Matt Ryan - Potential to be top 5 in yardage when it's all done, but he needs a SB win or to be considered one of the top 3 QBs in the league over a period of 3 to 4 years. Once Manning, Brady and Brees retire, he should be there. Prediction: in, but I'm shaky on this one.
Eli Manning: in. 2 superbowl wins and will be top 10 in yardage. Big market and last name help.
Ben Rothlisberger in. 2 SB wins and will be top 10 in yardage. Plays for premier franchise.
Jay Cutler - out. Surprisingly, he is on the same age/yardage trajectory as Rogers, but has never been considered a top 5 QB in the league and won't win a SB.
Phillip Rivers - out. He's behind Rogers and Roethlisberger in both yardage and SB wns. He was considered to be a top QB for a couple years and looks good this year. But he needs a SB win that he will never get.

Have you watched Flacco play?

He's been TERRIBLE this year. He'll never be anything more than a solid QB. Yes, he's a franchise QB, but he'll never be in the elite discussion any year of his career.

cdcox
10-03-2013, 11:24 PM
No ****'n way...

He's 27 and entering his prime.

If Flacco plays to 35 (pretty modest age) and averages 3500 yards per year (he's exceeded that total each of the last 4) years he'll have >46K yards at retirement which should be good for top 10 all time. Throw in a SB win and it will be hard to keep him out. Barring a lot of missed time due to injury, this is his floor (well maybe his knees).

-King-
10-03-2013, 11:27 PM
He's 27 and entering his prime.

If Flacco plays to 35 (pretty modest age) and averages 3500 yards per year (he's exceeded that total each of the last 4) years he'll have >46K yards at retirement which should be good for top 10 all time. Throw in a SB win and it will be hard to keep him out. Barring a lot of missed time due to injury, and this is his floor (well maybe his knees).

I don't think 46k yards will mean the same in 10 years as it does today much less a few years ago. There are some guys who will churn out 4000 yard seasons like clockwork now. Flacco isn't one of those guys and probably will never be. I'd be surprised if by the end of his career, he has more than 3 or 4.

ThaVirus
10-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Drew Brees actually really underrated, in my opinion.

The dude has a shit ton of passing records. His resume is hella impressive.

ClevelandBronco
10-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I know this is a QB thread, but Rain Man's poll had me looking at Paul Warfield's career.

"In his 13 NFL seasons Warfield caught 427 passes for 8,565 yards for 20.1 yards per catch, 9th highest all time, and scored 85 touchdowns.[3] He added another 204 yards on 22 rushing attempts. In his only WFL season (1975) he caught 25 passes for 422 yards, a 16.9 yards per catch average, with 3 touchdowns.[4]
In his rookie season 1964, he caught 52 receptions (his best season for receptions) for 920 yards and 9 touchdowns as the Browns won the NFL Championship.
In 1968 he caught 50 passes and for the only time in his career gained over 1,000 yards in receiving (1,067 yards). [/COLOR]...

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983. In 1999, he was ranked number 60 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players."

Point is, the game has changed a lot in 40 years. Warfield was an amazing weapon, but he played at a time when the Browns and the Dolphins featured Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Larry Czonka and Jim Kiick because they had to feature those guys to play the game the way it could best be played under the rules of the day.

QB numbers today are astronomical for reasons that include talent, but that also include opportunity.

Sorter
10-04-2013, 12:13 AM

This.

DaneMcCloud
10-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Had 2013 medicine and medical procedures been available in the 70's, guys like Namath, Bert Jones, Dan Pastorini and others would have been in the record books long ago.

Every decade has featured great passers. It's just amplified today due to the popularity of the game.

Lex Luthor
10-04-2013, 05:35 AM
QB numbers today are astronomical for reasons that include talent, but that also include opportunity.
The way the rules changes have opened up the offenses, comparing QB numbers today to numbers in the past is like comparing MLB home runs stats during the steroid era to any other era.

Tampa Bay just RELEASED a guy who passed for over 4,000 yards LAST YEAR.

BlackHelicopters
10-04-2013, 05:38 AM
All that matters is SB wins. The only true measuring stick.

vailpass
10-04-2013, 05:47 AM

I see your point.
But what do you think of Marino? Kelly? Fouts?

Demonpenz
10-04-2013, 06:08 AM
failures.

vailpass
10-04-2013, 06:10 AM
failures.

You have yet to disappoint...:D

BlackHelicopters
10-04-2013, 06:44 AM
I see your point.
But what do you think of Marino? Kelly? Fouts?

I see your point. These three were good quarterbacks who could never deliver the most important win. All three had plenty of offensive talent around them. Kelly played with Thomas and reed, and had a helluva a defense as well. In the end, just being good wasn't enough.

vailpass
10-04-2013, 06:50 AM
I see your point. These three were good quarterbacks who could never deliver the most important win. All three had plenty of offensive talent around them. Kelly played with Thomas and reed, and had a helluva a defense as well. In the end, just being good wasn't enough.

Fair enough. Imho they were all great.

Chief Roundup
10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Montana/Elway/Marino/Kelly...

Brady and Manning are both better than any of these 4.

BlackHelicopters
10-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Bradshaw was on 4 SB winners

BossChief
10-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Had 2013 medicine and medical procedures been available in the 70's, guys like Namath, Bert Jones, Dan Pastorini and others would have been in the record books long ago.

Every decade has featured great passers. It's just amplified today due to the popularity of the game.

I think the rules protecting quarterbacks has played a large role, too.

Halfcan
10-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Rivers isn't winning $#it...

:thumb: yep he will always choke in the big game.

DaFace
10-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Who out of the first four isn't a lock outside of Rodgers?...

Sorry - I was referring to the second group, not the first one.

Matt Ryan - Maybe if he pulls his head out of his ass
Eli Manning - Maybe if he wins another Super Bowl - not enough yet.
Ben Rothlisberger - No.
Jay Cutler - No.
Phillip Rivers - Hell no.
Joe Flacco - Kind of like Eli. I doubt it, but if he manages to win another one, maybe.

BossChief
10-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Sorry - I was referring to the second group, not the first one.

Matt Ryan - Maybe if he pulls his head out of his ass
Eli Manning - Maybe if he wins another Super Bowl - not enough yet.
Ben Rothlisberger - No.
Jay Cutler - No.
Phillip Rivers - Hell no.
Joe Flacco - Kind of like Eli. I doubt it, but if he manages to win another one, maybe.

Here is how I worded it. Not sure what the problem is.

"We have a second tier of passers that have displayed elite ability and are still in the prime years that could all play themselves into HOF talks if they have a couple more good years."

DaFace
10-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Here is how I worded it. Not sure what the problem is.

"We have a second tier of passers that have displayed elite ability and are still in the prime years that could all play themselves into HOF talks if they have a couple more good years."

And my point is that two of those have absolutely no chance in hell (Rivers and Cutler) and the rest are incredibly long shots. To get into the HOF, you generally need to display elite ability consistently, and none of those guys have been anywhere close to that.

Msmith
10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
The problem for the second tier qbs is that the window of opportunity. They all have about 10 years of productivity left. To win a Superbowl, there has to be a lot things going right at the same time for a team. Take Rivers for example, he needs to win at least two SB. You have all other qbs who want to compete in the same time. Who says the Giants, the Steelers, would not win another one? What about Ryan and Flacco? Then you get a few of the upstarts who could pull a Falcoo in a SB run. Or another newly draft phenom like Brady comes to play. All of a sudden, a ten year span just may not be enough.

MotherfuckerJones
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Flacco, Rivers, and Cutler have elite talent but very meh careers...

Flacco a meh career?

The Franchise
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I think the rules protecting quarterbacks has played a large role, too.

That and the defensive rules for covering WRs.

BossChief
10-04-2013, 10:34 AM
And my point is that two of those have absolutely no chance in hell (Rivers and Cutler) and the rest are incredibly long shots. To get into the HOF, you generally need to display elite ability consistently, and none of those guys have been anywhere close to that.

Look at Steve Youngs career. He didn't do ANYTHING until he was 30 and he only won one superbowl.

Earthling
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM

How about the other positions as well then? Feel like all HOF entrants should have a SB ring?

Lightrise
10-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes this is an impressive list. It really drives home the point that its just hard to win in the NFL and its critical to have quarterbacks that just believe they can win regardless of on or off the field pressure. I still believe after years of watching the league that you can just see what makes a winner. This always came across with Marino, Montana, Elway, Kelly and Farve. It remains to be seen but I honestly think Bray will eventually make a lot of noise in this league. He just has the right coaching staff here.

listopencil
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM

^

listopencil
10-04-2013, 11:27 AM

That is an excellent point that I really haven't thought of.

whoman69
10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
There are plenty of times in history when six active QBs were destined for the HOF. I can't call this a golden age of QBs because its so much easier to play the position now that defense has been outlawed.

mikey23545
10-04-2013, 02:17 PM

There are way too many 15 year olds posting on this board.

Chief Roundup
10-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Bradshaw was on 4 SB winners

I like Bradshaw, but FA did not exist back then. He played with the same weapons. That whole team was dominant.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
This.

Don't tell that to Seattle and KC ;)

DaneMcCloud
10-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Only two current players are locks for the HOF: Brady and Manning.

Drew Brees is the next likely, followed by Aaron Rogers.

The rest don't stand a chance in hell unless they play like Brady and Manning.

Psyko Tek
10-04-2013, 07:24 PM

your and idiot

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Brees is a lock

Ace Gunner
10-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Is this the best depth of quality at the quarterback position ever?

We have veteran probable hall of famers starting all over the place that are still arguably in their prime and playing at amazing levels.

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

We have a second tier of passers that have displayed elite ability and are still in the prime years that could all play themselves into HOF talks if they have a couple more good years.

Matt Ryan
Eli Manning
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler
Phillip Rivers
Joe Flacco

We have an amazing amount of young and extremely talented quarterbacks in their first handful or less of NFL time that have shown the ability to step up into the higher groups, if they aren't already there.

Russel Wilson
Robert Griffin III
Colin Kaepernick
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tanehill
Jake Locker
Andy Dalton
Matt Stafford

Alex Smith
Matt Shaub
Sam Bradford
Mike Vick
Tony Romo
Cam Newton

I grew up in the Marino, Montana, Aikman, Cunningham, Elway, Kelly era and I think this group of quarterbacks -leaguewide- is as good as any era that I've seen.

you and madden could sell a lot of video games together..

Chief Roundup
10-05-2013, 05:32 AM
your and idiot

Shit. Marino nor Kelly ever won a SB. Elway couldn't win one until the Broncos started cheating.
Montana is the only one that is in their class. I just don't think Montana could do what Brady is doing with a bunch of nobodies, rookies, or what Manning has done in the regular season.

seamonster
10-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Shit. Marino nor Kelly ever won a SB. Elway couldn't win one until the Broncos started cheating.
Montana is the only one that is in their class. I just don't think Montana could do what Brady is doing with a bunch of nobodies, rookies, or what Manning has done in the regular season.

This is what I've never understood about the Manning love. He's an absolute dogshit playoff quarterback. His only superbowl win came when he beat up on an old ass baltimore team, a chief team that backed into the playoffs, and sexy rexy. Despite all the years he'd won the gold star regular season 11+ win award he's only played in two superbowls and choked away the only one where he faced a real quarterback. He's not even in the same universe as a Montana or Brady.

mnchiefsguy
10-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Question: Are there any QB's out there with multiple SB rings, at least one SB MVP, are eligible for the HOF and not in?

Ben and Eli are not often pretty, and you can argue they are not elite...but they have been elite on the biggest stage there is. I think they both make it in at the end of the day.

cdcox
10-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Question: Are there any QB's out there with multiple SB rings, at least one SB MVP, are eligible for the HOF and not in?

Ben and Eli are not often pretty, and you can argue they are not elite...but they have been elite on the biggest stage there is. I think they both make it in at the end of the day.

Jim Plunkett. But Plunkett was never a pro bowler.

Eli and Ben both have multiple pro bowls. I think they will be in at the end of their careers.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I would not put Ben in the HOF just yet. I think he needs another title run.

BossChief
10-05-2013, 10:20 AM
The ONLY things holding Rothlisberger out of the HOF are the rape situations and Todd Haley.

Eli is a lock unless he falls off the face of the earth.

Flacco needs to continue to stay on the pace he is currently on. Maybe one more title run. The guy has won a lot of playoff games and was the superbowl MVP.

Like I said in the op, the second group NEEDS TO DO MORE TO GET INTO HOF TALKS
Cutler and Rivers have the stats, they just need a handful of signature playoff wins.

I think Rivers is and has always been vastly underrated my most on CP due to rivalry issues coding judgement. The guy has done a hell of a lot with a team that consistently let's it's free agents walk.

Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Turner
LT
Cromartie

With a gm worth a shit, that team would be a contender every year.

Matt Ryan just got the "monkey off their back" and I think it's probable that we see Matt Ryan start to push his regular season success into the postseason similarly to how the old SF team did with Young once he finally beat Dallas in the playoffs.

Time will tell, but some of you are really underrating this crop of quarterbacks this league currently has.

O.city
10-05-2013, 10:57 AM
The ONLY things holding Rothlisberger out of the HOF are the rape situations and Todd Haley.

Flacco needs to continue to stay on the pace he is currently on. Maybe one more title run. The guy has won a lot of playoff games and was the superbowl MVP.

Cutler and Rivers have the stats, they just need a handful of signature playoff wins.

I think Rivers is and has always been vastly underrated my most on CP due to rivalry issues coding judgement. The guy has done a hell of a lot with a team that consistently let's it's free agents walk.

Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Turner
LT
Cromartie

Matt Ryan just got the "monkey off their back" and I think it's probable that we see Matt Ryan start to push his regular season success into the postseason similarly to how the old SF team did with Young once he finally beat Dallas in the playoffs.

Time will tell, but some of you are really underrating this crop of quarterbacks this league currently has.

Actually, I think you're overrating it.

Some of these guys are good qbs, but good qbs don't deserve to be int he hall of fame, elite ones do.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I would not put Ben in the HOF just yet. I think he needs another title run.

There are 23 modern era QB's in the Hall of Fame (50 years). Farve is a lock in a few years.

Outside of Favre, Peyton and Brady are the only true "locks". Rothlisberger's play has been on the decline and you're right, unless he suddenly puts up gaudy numbers and wins another Super Bowl, I see no reason why he should be honored as an all time great.

Winning a Super Bowl isn't the only criteria for the Hall of Fame and outside of Brees (who needs a few more Super Bowl appearances, IMO), the rest are just good.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Turner
LT
Cromartie

Unlike Brady and Manning, Rivers has never elevated the level of players around him. He may have a plus arm but he's far from Hall of Fame material.

lcarus
10-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm not a college scout or anything, but it seems there may be a few MORE QBs entering the league next year that have potential to be very good or even elite.

Rausch
10-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Winning a Super Bowl isn't the only criteria for the Hall of Fame and outside of Brees (who needs a few more Super Bowl appearances, IMO), the rest are just good.

Marino never won a SB. Yes, I understand Brees is not Marino but I think his numbers are so impressive you can't ignore him when it's time to vote...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Marino never won a SB. Yes, I understand Brees is not Marino but I think his numbers are so impressive you can't ignore him when it's time to vote...

Agreed. Brees has more yards and only 7 fewer TDs than Brady in less starts. He's a lock

Rausch
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Agreed. Brees has more yards and only 7 fewer TDs than Brady in less starts. He's a lock

Not only that but winning a SB with Nawlins'?

Hell, that alone should get you in...

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Marino was special. He, like Warren Moon and Dan Fouts, were transcendent.

I think that Brees is a likely Hall of Famer, but when the sports writers debate his eligibility in 10 or 15 years and see that numbers across the league are sky high for passers, will one Super Bowl victory be enough?

It probably will but I don't know that he's a "lock".

As of right now, there's no way that Philip Rivers name should be enshrined along Jim Kelly, Len Dawson, Terry Bradshaw and the others.

Rausch
10-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I think that Brees is a likely Hall of Famer, but when the sports writers debate his eligibility in 10 or 15 years and see that numbers across the league are sky high for passers, will one Super Bowl victory be enough?

It probably will but I don't know that he's a "lock".

Agreed, but there's always politics here as well. Some guys who should be in are still waiting 20 and 30 years later.

As of right now, there's no way that Philip Rivers name should be enshrined along Jim Kelly, Len Dawson, Terry Bradshaw and the others.

Rivers has no argument for the HOF. He's done everything you say HOF players don't do...

whoman69
10-05-2013, 12:21 PM
You could pick just about any year and find 4 or 5 future Hall of Famers that were active. Its never been easier to play QB than it is now. This is like making a statement that the best home run hitters played during the steroids era.

Rausch
10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
You could pick just about any year and find 4 or 5 future Hall of Famers that were active. Its never been easier to play QB than it is now. This is like making a statement that the best home run hitters played during the steroids era.

I think a big part of the difference is teams expecting their 1st or 2nd round QB to start year one. Until the last decade or so that just didn't happen unless you were a top 10 pick or the starter went down.

Grooming a QB slowly is now out the window. As a result you aren't spending years to make QB A fit into Coach B's offense. Coach B is now changing the offense so player A can start and play season 1 if not day 1.

I think this is the biggest reason. Instead of sitting a year or two and then starting they'll have at least a year of experience by their 3rd year. Even if unimpressive their first year at least the speed of the game and complexity of NFL offenses/defenses is something they're now use to.

ThaVirus
10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Drew Brees is a sure thing. He has the stats and holds a shit ton of records.

His resume is really fucking impressive.

cdcox
10-05-2013, 02:05 PM
\

Wow, Brees is the Dan Fouts and Dan Marino of our time in terms of productivity. He's already 6th all time in yardage, and has a SB win. I don't see any arguement anyone can make that keeps him out. He's a dead lock.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Wow, Brees is the Dan Fouts and Dan Marino of our time in terms of productivity. He's already 6th all time in yardage, and has a SB win. I don't see any arguement anyone can make that keeps him out. He's a dead lock.

I've already stated that he's likely to be a HOFer. But it would help his case if appears in at least one more Super Bowl.

These gaudy stats won't mean much in retrospect when voters are debating who to induct 10-15 years down the line.

ChiefsFanatic
10-05-2013, 04:01 PM

I believe Brees is a lock. I am not really a huge fan of his, but I recently came across some stats, and looking closer, he compares very favorably to Brady and Manning. It was actually a shock to me, because although I thought of him as a very good QB, I didn't think of him in terms of the HOF. His wins/losses, attempts/completions, touchdowns/interceptions are impressive/

milkman
10-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I like Bradshaw, but FA did not exist back then. He played with the same weapons. That whole team was dominant.

The teams of that era all had the same advantage of holding their players for as long asthey wanted them.

The Steeler/Raider and Steeler/Cowboy rivalries were born in that era.

Bradsahaw could, and did, put those Steelers on his shoulders when he needed to.

He outdueled Roger Staubaugh in what is still, in my mind, the best SB ever.

Bradshaw is the most underrated QB ever.

milkman
10-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I shudder to think what Johnny Unitas would do in today's NFL.

ThaVirus
10-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I've already stated that he's likely to be a HOFer. But it would help his case if appears in at least one more Super Bowl.

These gaudy stats won't mean much in retrospect when voters are debating who to induct 10-15 years down the line.

I don't even think he needs another Super Bowl. His one ring came in an extremely memorable game against another HOFer.

Of course, it couldn't hurt and he has plenty of time to get there again.

ThaVirus
10-05-2013, 04:58 PM
*That was an extremely memorable season for NO.

BossChief
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I do agree that Rivers and Cutler should have been relegated to group 3.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Russel Wilson
Robert Griffin III
Colin Kaepernick
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tanehill
Jake Locker
Andy Dalton
Matt Stafford

Alex Smith
Matt Shaub
Sam Bradford
Mike Vick
Tony Romo
Cam Newton

A lot of the guys in these two groups will top out, disappoint or never amount to much. Just the law of averages............

cardken2
10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Easy to look good in today's NFL passing game. Defense is reluctant to pass rush hard let alone touch the QB, and the defensive backs, get flagged looking at a WR crosseyed, in a more stringent NFL of yesterday these guys are average to good.