PDA

View Full Version : Football Why do we love football?

DaFace
10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately about what it is that makes football so much more interesting than other sports for me. I'm a big hockey fan as well, but I just don't get sucked into the drama of the game like I do with football. So, since we're all in a better mood these days...

What is it that you love about football?

(Inspired by the commercials.)

AussieChiefsFan
10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Apart from supporting one team obsessively.

I'd say all the story-lines that come with almost every game.

Pants
10-06-2013, 10:52 PM
The fact that it's broken down into plays. A lot of clear success and failure throughout the game in its episodic nature. It's like a chess match except with skill, execution and violence mixed in.

|Zach|
Team aspect...the toughness of the game.

More than anything each game matters more than a lot of other sports. Each and every game is a huge deal. If you lose an MLB or NBA game its like...oh well lets just win the next eleventy billion games and we will be fine.

DaFace
I'll try and start with my list.

The variety of athleticism of players. In many sports, everyone is largely the same in terms of athletic body types. In football, there are so many different positions and roles, and you end up with a huge variety of players because of that. You've got tiny, sub-200 pound fast guys out there playing along 350 lb monsters. The skill sets are all vastly different. That makes the player evaluation really fascinating.
The short season. There are so few games, that the importance of any individual game is through the roof compared to many sports. Entire seasons' successes hang in the balance multiple times throughout the year for every team. That heightens the drama significantly.
The strategy. I know that there are "plays" in all sports, but football takes it to a new level. Plays and timing is so intricate, and the amount of planning that goes into any given play is astounding. Not to mention the strategic shifts that occur throughout a game. Every time you decide to focus your actions slightly differently, the game changes. It's like watching a real-life chess game.
The tradition. This shouldn't matter, but it's fun in a way. Sundays are like holidays. Your plan is to sit and watch football all day long, and that's about it. Lots of times, it becomes a family affair. It creates rituals like no other sport it seems.

That's just a start of course, but those are some of the big ones.

AussieChiefsFan
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I'll try and start with my list.

The variety of athleticism of players. In many sports, everyone is largely the same in terms of athletic body types. In football, there are so many different positions and roles, and you end up with a huge variety of players because of that. You've got tiny, sub-200 pound fast guys out there playing along 350 lb monsters. The skill sets are all vastly different. That makes the player evaluation really fascinating.
The short season. There are so few games, that the importance of any individual game is through the roof compared to many sports. Entire seasons' successes hang in the balance multiple times throughout the year for every team. That heightens the drama significantly.
The strategy. I know that there are "plays" in all sports, but football takes it to a new level. Plays and timing is so intricate, and the amount of planning that goes into any given play is astounding. Not to mention the strategic shifts that occur throughout a game. Every time you decide to focus your actions slightly differently, the game changes. It's like watching a real-life chess game.
The tradition. This shouldn't matter, but it's fun in a way. Sundays are like holidays. Your plan is to sit and watch football all day long, and that's about it. Lots of times, it becomes a family affair. It creates rituals like no other sport it seems.

That's just a start of course, but those are some of the big ones.And these.

BossChief
10-06-2013, 10:54 PM
I can live vicariously through certain players. I've played a lot of football, but reached my peak due to talent limitations. I find enjoyment in following players that seem to "do it the right way" and over time, a lot of those players have played for KC.

There is just something about being part of a football team that made that a part of my life. In fact, I still talk more with guys off my old teams than people that live close to me.

Also, my dad had polio and I felt I was doing what he might have if it were an option.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2013, 10:54 PM
It has the same appeal that all the other sports have, but they don't have:

1. Only 16 games a year.

2. The variety of athletes (there are 5-7 160 lb guys in the NFL up to 6-9 and 400 lbs)

3. The constant violence.

All of these things combined make it the best at filling some primal need for conflict that we can't get anywhere else.

I think the biggest part of it though is only 16 games a year. Each one is extra special.

AussieChiefsFan
10-06-2013, 10:56 PM
gifsfyp :D

Bowser
10-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Because there just isn't a damned thing else to get excited for in this town when the Royals suck.

Baby Lee
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
The fact that it's broken down into plays. A lot of clear success and failure throughout the game in its episodic nature. It's like a chess match except with skill, execution and violence mixed in.

That's almost precisely what I was going to post.

The rapid cycling of suspense and result, suspense and result.

Like Forrest said, it's 'like a box'a choclits.'

cdcox
10-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Violence and athleticism.

Weight of every game.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:05 PM
It feels like a weird plateau has happened though. For whatever reason the game today felt really violent. Not as much in a guys hitting eachother way but guys being slammed into the ground and there being head trauma. Felt strange at times...just something that crossed my mind as I watched our boys today.

keg in kc
10-06-2013, 11:07 PM
It's the ultimate team game. A lot of other sports really come down to 1 on 1 matchups, and football can, as well, in a sense, but it really takes 11 guys executing together to get a perfect play. There can be so much strategy involved at any given moment.

And other sports (baseball, basketball, hockey) have seasons that just seem to last forever. Too many damn games. Football is for the weekend, and it makes every Saturday and Sunday feel special (with the occasional quality Thursday and Monday thrown in as a bonus). Every week matters, ever game matters.

Pants
It feels like a weird plateau has happened though. For whatever reason the game today felt really violent. Not as much in a guys hitting eachother way but guys being slammed into the ground and there being head trauma. Felt strange at times...just something that crossed my mind as I watched our boys today.

Pretty sure McGrath was sent back into the game concussed into oblivion today. What are you going to do, though? We don't have any TEs left.

Hammock Parties

Soccer pussying you up, boy?

cdcox
10-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Pretty sure McGrath was sent back into the game concussed into oblivion today. What are you going to do, though? We don't have any TEs left.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:08 PM

And guys on both teams were dropping left and right. None of them traditionally devastating injuries but everyone getting their bell rung and just being out of it. Feels like the NFL has really pushed the human body to the limit the past few years.

Pants
10-06-2013, 11:09 PM
It's the ultimate team game. A lot of other sports really come down to 1 on 1 matchups, and football can, as well, in a sense, but it really takes 11 guys executing together to get a perfect play. There can be so much strategy involved at any given moment.

And other sports (baseball, basketball, hockey) have seasons that just seem to last forever. Too many damn games. Football is for the weekend, and it makes every Saturday and Sunday feel special (with the occasional quality Thursday and Monday thrown in as a bonus). Every week matters, ever game matters.

There is no better way to determine a champion than to have everyone play each other twice and assign point values to the outcomes. Too bad it's way more boring than playoffs (also, clearly unrealistic for football).

Bugeater
10-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Because football is war. In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

BurtGummer44Magnum
10-06-2013, 11:10 PM
The Cheerleaders in skimpy outfits

Pants
10-06-2013, 11:11 PM
And guys on both teams were dropping left and right. None of them traditionally devastating injuries but everyone getting their bell rung and just being out of it. Feels like the NFL has really pushed the human body to the limit the past few years.

I sense the same plateau you describe. This could simply be the way we perceive things, though. People in the 90's were probably thinking the same thing.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Soccer pussying you up, boy?

Interestingly enough soccer in MLS extremely physical. Hell one of SKC's best players had a violent run in on Saturday.

http://i.imgur.com/DG7JRHR.png

http://i.imgur.com/DmVAwwg.png

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:21 PM
I sense the same plateau you describe. This could simply be the way we perceive things, though. People in the 90's were probably thinking the same thing.

Could be.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2013, 11:21 PM
That happens every play in football, you nance.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:22 PM
That happens every play in football, you nance.

k

AussieChiefsFan
10-06-2013, 11:22 PM
wtf LMAO

http://i.imgur.com/1EQv1uc.png

Hammock Parties
10-06-2013, 11:23 PM
The game is less violent than it has ever been thanks to refs.

Turn on a tape of the 1997 Chiefs and you will see some real fucking violence.

http://i.imgur.com/GMqZ29g.gif

Baby Lee
10-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Because football is war. In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aoWsPRzzia8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|

Turn on a tape of the 1997 Chiefs and you will see some real ****ing violence.

I completely disagree.

Been watching football for a long time and never felt like that. The past few years have been different. It isn't dirty plays doing it either...it is bad things happening on routine plays.

Also, that gif is a pretty bad example of the point you are trying to make. Honestly who gives a fuck about that hit.

keg in kc
I think it's perception, and the greater social awareness of injuries, to the head and otherwise.

I remember a much more violent game in the 90s and before. The league has changed in the 21st century to a more finesse kind of game, in a general sense, with a few throwback defenses (like ours).

Pants

Turn on a tape of the 1997 Chiefs and you will see some real fucking violence.

Zach's point was that the athletes of today are superior and, therefore, hit with more force. Zach is right.

Yeah, the QB is protected as are defenseless receivers, but JFC, the hits in the open field are just ridiculous today.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I think it's perception, and the greater social awareness of injuries, to the head and otherwise.

I remember a much more violent game in the 90s and before. The league has changed in the 21st century to a more finesse kind of game, in a general sense, with a few throwback defenses (like ours).

I think the speed at which guys are running into eachother has been a game changer. In totally legal ways. Nobody is doing anything wrong or at fault. If you watched games in the 90's those guys look like they are running in sand compared to today's athletes.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:30 PM
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OQ4VRgxBbHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaFace
10-06-2013, 11:35 PM
I'll add to my list the drama of how precise things are. It's truly a game of inches.

keg in kc
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I think the speed at which guys are running into eachother has been a game changer. In totally legal ways. Nobody is doing anything wrong or at fault. If you watched games in the 90's those guys look like they are running in sand compared to today's athletes.Like I said, I think it's perception. Part of the reason guys appear faster, beside the fact that many of them physically are (but probably not as much as you think) is the change in the game I mentioned. Players are spread out all over the field, not all crammed together in tight spaces. And more skill position players are on the field than in the past (multiple receiver formations against nickel and dime defenses rather than traditional pro formations and base defenses) meaning smaller, faster players are getting more of an opportunity to run-up and hit other smaller, faster players.

We also see more highlights than at any point in the past, although ESPN did quit running Jacked Up. It's to me sort of like violence in society. Is there really more of it, or are we just seeing stuff plastered all over 24 hour cable news channels that 30 years ago would have been covered in newspapers, on the radio, or maybe gotten a bit on the nightly news broadcast.

The other thing is the gear they're wearing, probably better now than at any point in history. The scary thing to me is watching guys from god knows how many years ago playing in leather helmets with no face protection and padding you can barely make out under their uniforms. Those guys were fucking crazy.

|Zach|
10-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Like I said, I think it's perception. Part of the reason guys appear faster, beside the fact that many of them physically are (but probably not as much as you think) is the change in the game I mentioned. Players are spread out all over the field, not all crammed together in tight spaces. And more skill position players are on the field than in the past (multiple receiver formations against nickel and dime defenses rather than traditional pro formations and base defenses) meaning smaller, faster players are getting more of an opportunity to run-up and hit other smaller, faster players.

We also see more highlights than at any point in the past, although ESPN did quit running Jacked Up. It's to me sort of like violence in society. Is there really more of it, or are we just seeing stuff plastered all over 24 hour cable news channels that 30 years ago would have been covered in newspapers, on the radio, or maybe gotten a bit on the nightly news broadcast.

The other thing is the gear they're wearing, probably better now than at any point in history. The scary thing to me is watching guys from god knows how many years ago playing in leather helmets with no face protection and padding you can barely make out under their uniforms. Those guys were ****ing crazy.

The delta in that case would still be a more violent game today.

big nasty kcnut
10-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Cheerleaders and the planning of trying to score on someone while at the same time hoping the defense will crush the other team qb.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2013, 11:42 PM
This discussion of the handshake controversy explains it better than I ever could:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/caZizIk3qik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fritz88
10-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Many of the points have been covered.

I'll also add.

1- It's extremely well marketed.
2- Every move, whether body or even eye movement, can potentially help you or hurt you. A QB staring down his targets or a RB looking for holes or an OLB rushing. You can't find that level of detail in many games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Craqhead
10-07-2013, 05:33 AM
It's like the Gladiators back in Roman Times.

BlackHelicopters
10-07-2013, 07:20 AM
The violence. Short and simple.

vailpass
10-07-2013, 07:23 AM
The stage. The spectacle. The experience. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat...

Graystoke
10-07-2013, 07:37 AM
When the leaves start to turn, my attention turns to Football. You just already know what you will be doing on Sundays, Monday Nights, Thursday Nights, Thanksgiving.

Ace Gunner
10-07-2013, 07:41 AM
smart game enjoyed by smart people
http://www.solcomhouse.com/images/ali_howard.gif

otherstar
10-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Zach's point was that the athletes of today are superior and, therefore, hit with more force. Zach is right.

Yeah, the QB is protected as are defenseless receivers, but JFC, the hits in the open field are just ridiculous today.

Are you sure about that? (granted most of these hits would be illegal today, but still...)

vPm-6ZlTM5o

XavMnJDfavo

Dayze
10-07-2013, 07:47 AM

ok George.

:D

Dayze
10-07-2013, 07:50 AM
the complexity of the game. While 'simple' in a strategic point of view, the tactical aspects intrigue me. I'm most fascinated with how many things must go right, and how everyone must do their job (which may or may not require them to be self-less) in order to have any success. It's not a "Me" sport (despite 90% of the WRs andn RBs out there)

Each week is critical, unlike baseball's 394 games a year. The game is fast paced. There is a time limit before your destiny is reached. The game is emotional.

Without question the best sport.

vailpass
10-07-2013, 07:57 AM
the complexity of the game. While 'simple' in a strategic point of view, the tactical aspects intrigue me. I'm most fascinated with how many things must go right, and how everyone must do their job (which may or may not require them to be self-less) in order to have any success. It's not a "Me" sport (despite 90% of the WRs andn RBs out there)

Each week is critical, unlike baseball's 394 games a year. The game is fast paced. There is a time limit before your destiny is reached. The game is emotional.

Without question the best sport.

Not in any way to equate a game to our brave soldiers, but it's like a battle each week. Watching the plans unfold and the physical struggle is intriguing. It takes smarts, strength and skill along with courage.
And they serve beer...

Dayze
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
any the playoffs. None of this "best out of 7" bullshit.

You lost your playoff game? Fuck you, you're out. (which we're all too familiar with).

Demonpenz
10-07-2013, 09:27 AM
The one thing I noticed at lower levels is that people are athletic enough to move out of the way from big hits, or have the body control to contort their body not to get smashed. Lower levels of football there seem to be guys getting lit up because they can't get out of the way.

DaFace
10-07-2013, 12:35 PM
any the playoffs. None of this "best out of 7" bullshit.

You lost your playoff game? **** you, you're out. (which we're all too familiar with).

Definitely agree. The importance of any one game (save a "Game 7" in some of the other sports) is WAY higher in football. You may have the best team in the league, but if you don't come to play in your first game of the playoffs, it's over. All that optimism and building...gone. The drama is fantastic.

wazu
10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I like that the game stops and starts over and over. Every team has it's own offensive and defensive schemes/philosophies. The fact that game action actually stops between plays means that the plays themselves have drama and build-up before every snap. I find it to be by far the most exciting sport to watch.

DaFace
10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I like that the game stops and starts over and over. Every team has it's own offensive and defensive schemes/philosophies. The fact that game action actually stops between plays means that the plays themselves have drama and build-up before every snap. I find it to be by far the most exciting sport to watch.

I think there's also something to the fact that there are so many minor "wins" embedded inside each game. While most sports it's "run around until someone scores" (acknowledging that there's a lot of momentum shifting that occurs in that process), in football there are lots of small things to get excited about:

Getting yardage to reduce the difficulty of picking up first down
Getting a first down
Getting a lot of yardage to reduce the difficulty of scoring
Getting into field goal range
Successfully kicking a field goal
Getting into the red zone
Successfully scoring a touchdown

The fact that plays are clearly separated makes each play a little battle itself. While other sports clearly have their own versions of this, the blending of plays into continuous motion makes it harder to really get excited on any play that isn't a score.

crossbow
10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Because it is fun to watch millionaires violently inflict pain and humiliation onto each other?

tooge
10-07-2013, 01:03 PM
because soccer sucks!