PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Stephenson was much better than Fisher

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I can't actually confirm that, but it seemed like it, no?

better feet, better balance, better strength, better pass protection...Alex had clean pockets for much of the day

not that it matters, they're going to play the #1 pick regardless (cross your finger's that he is ready to be our LT next year)...

Eleazar
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Since the overwhelming likelihood is that Fisher is LT and Stephenson is RT next year, I'm glad to hear others thought he was at least capable at RT.

Rain Man
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I thought Stephenson played well. In fact, I thought he played well last year too, other than one bad game.

ct
10-07-2013, 11:17 AM
so let's trade albert to Jacksonville for their 2nd round pick, slide fish over to LT and dominate! /truefanamiright?

I did think he played mostly well, but also saw quite a few blunders too. Our whole OLine has been pretty disappointing. Perhaps we are just settling in not yet halfway thru a new offensive season? I hope...

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
i thought that after the first few series of penalties that our OL played pretty well yesterday..

Mr_Tomahawk
10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Your sister was better than your mom.

Jk

Your mom is cool.

Stalker
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Is there that bigger difference between playing L & R tackle ?

tredadda
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes

L.A. Chieffan
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
At least we didn't take Joekel

Beer Bong
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Since the overwhelming likelihood is that Fisher is LT and Stephenson is RT next year, I'm glad to hear others thought he was at least capable at RT.

yep, good post.

Great Expectations
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Albert made some fantastic blocks in the run game yesterday. Our right side struggled in getting a push.

BigCatDaddy
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
yep, good post.

I'll ask again. Where you molested by your uncle?

chief4life
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
For God sakes let the kid play and get better! Sure Stephenson might be playing better right now. But the kid needs to learn and he will get better! He moved to the right side which is hard as hell to do. Its like saying he i am going to block with my left hand and then have to learn to block with my right. It takes time and you need him out there so he learns. He is the better option right now, and it is great to have depth like Stephenson when we need it.

Cannibal
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
One of the reasons the line looked better is because the Chiefs had to gameplan to get the ball out quickly because they would not have been able to hold off the rush. It was noticable how much faster the ball was coming out. We didn't have time to do multiple reads. It hampered the offense, somewhat.

Rain Man
10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
At least we didn't take Joekel

We discovered in the interview phase that he has genetically weak ankle bones.

BlackHelicopters
10-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Yes

BlackHelicopters
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
How much longer is swinging gate Fisher going to out?

RealSNR
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
For God sakes let the kid play and get better! Sure Stephenson might be playing better right now. But the kid needs to learn and he will get better! He moved to the right side which is hard as hell to do. Its like saying he i am going to block with my left hand and then have to learn to block with my right. It takes time and you need him out there so he learns. He is the better option right now, and it is great to have depth like Stephenson when we need it.

You're saying Fisher should play through his concussion recovery?

wazu
10-07-2013, 12:52 PM
How much longer is swinging gate Fisher going to out?

Come on, man, be respectful. Please call Trezelle Fisher by his real name.

jspchief
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
i thought that after the first few series of penalties that our OL played pretty well yesterday..

Agree. Smith had the best protection he's had all year. Unfortunately he also had a really bad game individually.

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 01:14 PM
One of the reasons the line looked better is because the Chiefs had to gameplan to get the ball out quickly because they would not have been able to hold off the rush. It was noticable how much faster the ball was coming out. We didn't have time to do multiple reads. It hampered the offense, somewhat.

it looked to me like we throw more deep routes than ever...and Smith had a clean pocket to step into most of the day...none of that running out of bounds crap

King_Chief_Fan
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
You're saying Fisher should play through his concussion recovery?

no he should be back up for Albert

Hammock Parties
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
PFF disagrees with you.

-6.2 for the game.

allowed SIX pressures.

Another Pioli bust.

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 01:27 PM
PFF disagrees with you.

-6.2 for the game.

allowed SIX pressures.

Another Pioli bust.

well, that's why i hedged....weird, i thought he had a good day

patteeu
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
PFF disagrees with you.

-6.2 for the game.

allowed SIX pressures.

Another Pioli bust.

To add to that:

On a per snap basis, they have Donaldson (-.09583/snap) ranked as the worst tackle in the league aside from Atlanta's LT Sam Baker (-.09857/snap).

Fisher's per snap rating, for comparison, is -.02529

Albert's is +.01346

MTG#10
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Is there that bigger difference between playing L & R tackle ?Why are you in the red already? Looked through your posts, none worthy of a neg rep. Did you annoy someone while enjoying your tea and crumpets?

BigCatDaddy
10-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Why are you in the red already? Looked through your posts, none worthy of a neg rep. Did you annoy someone while enjoying your tea and crumpets?

Probably this one. I went ahead and just negged him for it again for good measure.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10016123&postcount=49

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
well, crap...so was i imagining the ol playing well yesterday or just Stephenson?

wazu
Probably this one. I went ahead and just negged him for it again for good measure.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10016123&postcount=49

You're doing the lord's work.

MTG#10

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10016123&postcount=49Harsh

patteeu
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
well, crap...so was i imagining the ol playing well yesterday or just Stephenson?

:shrug: Maybe you were right and PFF is wrong. Or maybe you just noticed the plays where Stevenson did a decent job.

FWIW, PFF give good grades in this game to Albert and Hudson (mostly for pass blocking), a bad grade to Jeff Allen (mostly for run blocking), and a really bad grade to Stevenson (for both). Asamoah got a neutral grade.

Beer Bong
10-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I can see this being like the Geno thing and people will be eating crow.

beach tribe
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I may be in the minority, but I hope we pay Albert.

stevieray
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM

go throw a football with your opposing hand and get back to us.

the kids got a great work ethic and he's a braniac. he'll be fine.

MTG#10
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I may be in the minority, but I hope we pay Albert.You're not. But if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass with the stupid penalties I'll probably change my mind.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Ditto...

Rausch
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Almost no one wanted to draft Fish...

Snapplez
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM

We're 5-0... how bad could our rookie RT be?

BigCatDaddy
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
<b>go throw a football with your opposing hand and get back to us.</b>

the kids got a great work ethic and he's a braniac. he'll be fine.

Holy shit that's a horrible comparison LMAO

Rausch
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
We're 5-0... how bad could our rookie RT be?

Very...

Snapplez
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Very...

You'll get no argument from me on that. He's been a dumpster fire.

ct
10-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Almost no one wanted to draft Fish...

big picture, no, very few wanted to draft fisher. but I wont hide from my thoughts, that looking at fisher vs. joeckel, yeah I wanted fisher

J Diddy
10-07-2013, 02:33 PM
You're not. But if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass with the stupid penalties I'll probably change my mind.

I don't think you can use yesterdays officiating as any sort of gauge...

Beer Bong
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM

I think you are in the majority. I hope we do to.

MTG#10
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I don't think you can use yesterdays officiating as any sort of gauge...Ive watched Albert jump early several times already this season. He's been doing it his whole career and seems to be even worse this year. He's good enough to look past it though for now.

the Talking Can
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM

i do too, but it really doesn't make any sense

the only to get any value from the #1 pick in the draft is to play him a LT

save albert's money for houston...at least you can see the organizational logic

but there's no getting around, in that scenario, the fact that we used the #1 pick in the draft to replace a player that didn't need replacing, or we used the #1 pick in the draft to save a few million...or we used it on a RT (which would be retarded)

either way, the pick sucks

chiefzilla1501
10-07-2013, 03:21 PM
big picture, no, very few wanted to draft fisher. but I wont hide from my thoughts, that looking at fisher vs. joeckel, yeah I wanted fisher

I think the problem is confusing who wanted to draft fisher versus realistic expectations of his ceiling.

I'm not a fan of fisher being drafted. But I certainly see the ceiling and am not at all in a panic if he's struggled early on. I think a lot of people are dismissing way too early because they are unhappy with the pick.

Bwana
10-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Is there any word on when Fisher may be back?

BIG_DADDY
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM

HE should be back next week. No need to rush at this point.

MIAdragon
10-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Nope stay down bitch.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
i do too, but it really doesn't make any sense

the only to get any value from the #1 pick in the draft is to play him a LT

save albert's money for houston...at least you can see the organizational logic

but there's no getting around, in that scenario, the fact that we used the #1 pick in the draft to replace a player that didn't need replacing, or we used the #1 pick in the draft to save a few million...or we used it on a RT (which would be retarded)

either way, the pick sucks

This.

If you can't look respectable at RT there's no way in hell you move him to the left...

patteeu
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Nope stay down bitch.

I'd like to see all the starters get some work together over a several game stretch and see how that goes.

O.city
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Fisher was playing pretty well against the giants iirc

Bwana
10-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Oh I agree 100%. It's best to let his noggin heal.

Ace Gunner
10-07-2013, 04:41 PM

No but the experts have said he's a bust after three games in case you missed it :D

SPATCH
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
5 games into the season, who should we have drafted instead of Fisher? I really don't know...

(and don't say "trade back"... I have a hard time believing that we didn't try very hard to do that.)

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
5 games into the season, who should we have drafted instead of Fisher? I really don't know...

(and don't say "trade back"... I have a hard time believing that we didn't try very hard to do that.)

Sheldon Richardson.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Can he block the 3-3-6?

Rausch
10-07-2013, 05:24 PM

So your argument is that anyone the Chiefs drafted in the 1st would have been a bust?...

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Can he block the 3-3-6?

LMAO

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:28 PM
So your argument is that anyone the Chiefs drafted in the 1st would have been a bust?...

No, I think his argument is that this was an overall weak draft. Any player selected in the top 10 was equally weak.
Posted via Mobile Device

COchief
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I am not surprised by his PFF rating in the least. If you paid attention he was personally responsible for killing at least 3 drives by screwing up on 3rd down. They were subtle but he allowed his man to sit untouched in the throwing lane and bat a ball down. Another same situation where the first and possibly only lane was blocked while he sat there and did nothing. Then he gave up a bull rush (sack maybe) where his guy crushed the play via pressure.

The first two it looked like the D lineman assignment was to push him back and then camp the lane, the D guy did this with ease and then he let off the rush and Stephenson sat there like a moron for at least two seconds instead of shoving him back or driving him out of the lane.

He was the drive killer, but you really had to pay attention to notice.

SPATCH
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
No, I think his argument is that this was an overall weak draft. Any player selected in the top 10 was equally weak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly.

It was just so Chiefs that we wound up with the no. 1 overall pick the year after Luck and the year before Clowney.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds to me like 10 teams did a poor job evaluating talent.

Probably why they drafted where they did...

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Whatever the case, Reid strikes me as the type of coach who plays guys who give him the best chance of winning regardless of draft status or money. If Stephenson is outplaying Fisher, then Reid will play him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Sounds to me like 10 teams did a poor job evaluating talent.

Probably why they drafted where they did...

There is always some of that....but you can't understand how there can be weak drafts and strong drafts year to year? go look up draft history.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
There is always some of that....but you can't understand how there can be weak drafts and strong drafts year to year? go look up draft history.
Posted via Mobile Device

There definitely are weak draft years.

That's why it's even more important to properly evaluate the talent available...

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/01/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-4-2/

1. Sheldon Richardson, DE, Jets: +8.3

And there is! Richardson hasn’t wasted any time in making a big contribution to the Jets’ defense, pushing himself to fourth overall in our 3-4 defensive end rankings and amassing an impressive 10 defensive stops against the run already. What’s more, he added some pass rush to his game this week… he’s getting better.

(admittedly, it is PFF. However, Sheldon's had a nice year and been much better against the run than I thought he'd be)

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
There definitely are weak draft years.

That's why it's even more important to properly evaluate the talent available...

Sometimes because of the talent available, you just sort of have to settle. Sucks....but it is what it is. I think I understand what your trying to say though....teams need to find those hidden gems like Russell Wilson. guys like him don't go 1st round because the first round is mostly about measurables. Why? Because those are the guys with the highest rate of success in the NFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
No.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/01/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-4-2/

1. Sheldon Richardson, DE, Jets: +8.3

And there is! Richardson hasn’t wasted any time in making a big contribution to the Jets’ defense, pushing himself to fourth overall in our 3-4 defensive end rankings and amassing an impressive 10 defensive stops against the run already. What’s more, he added some pass rush to his game this week… he’s getting better.

(admittedly, it is PFF. However, Sheldon's had a nice year and been much better against the run than I thought he'd be)

While a good point this place would have exploded if we drafted a 3-4 DE with 1.1...

CoMoChief
10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Stephenson played pretty good. He should/will continue to get better.

I just don't think Fisher is that strong. He certainly looks small compared to other lineman, but his build is just different. The guy looks like he's around 280ish, but a lot of that is due to the fact he's 6'7. I think his playing weight is around 305 (honestly he doesn't even look that) ...which really with that frame you'd really wanna be around 20-25lbs heavier. It just seems he gets thrown and knocked around a lot from the point of attack. Not to mention he's gone up against small school talent on the opposite (his natural) side.

Really I'd move him to LG and just have him get used to that side again because Jeff Allen sucks. And he can continue to mature as a OL guy transitioning in the NFL from playing small school opponents and we can have a better left side. Run Jamaal outside more....good things would happen.

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:58 PM
While a good point this place would have exploded if we drafted a 3-4 DE with 1.1...

Not this one.

Normally I'd agree. However, Sheldon is so different from the majority of 3/5 techniques drafted recently by KC, people would be going nuts.

I'm just speculating here but I'd wager we'd be looking at about 3 or 4 sacks each for him and Poe right now.

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Plus, my arrogant thread totally would have reassured peoples.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 05:59 PM

I just don't think Fisher is that strong. He certainly looks small compared to other lineman, but his build is just different. The guy looks like he's around 280ish, but a lot of that is due to the fact he's 6'7. I think his playing weight is around 305 (honestly he doesn't even look that) ...which really with that frame you'd really wanna be around 20-25lbs heavier. It just seems he gets thrown and knocked around a lot from the point of attack. Not to mention he's gone up against small school talent on the opposite (his natural) side.

Really I'd move him to LG and just have him get used to that side again because Jeff Allen sucks. And he can continue to mature as a OL guy transitioning in the NFL from playing small school opponents and we can have a better left side. Run Jamaal outside more....good things would happen.

Fish was beaten by bull rushers and speed rushers...

Brock
10-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Different than exploding because they drafted a tackle?

BigCatDaddy
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Hey Bobby! How does Geno's ass taste now? LMAO

chiefzilla1501
10-07-2013, 10:43 PM

There's no reason to do that. The knock on him was that he wasn't strong, but has plenty of frame to get stronger. Second knock was that he was inexperienced, which will improve with... experience.

I think he needs to be moved back to Left Tackle which is more a speed position than a power position. I don't know what we have in him. I do think it's way too soon to evaluate. I like Branden Albert, but that $10M+ he's going to make next year could go a long way.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Different than exploding because they drafted a tackle?

Good point...

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Ban knowmo

milkman
10-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Individually, I thought Hudson had his best, while the unit as a whole also vhad it's best game.

Stephenson had numerous bad, even horrible, plays, but wasn't consistently bad, as Fisher has been.