PDA

View Full Version : Football Romo/Rivers/Cutler..career losers or franchise QBs?

Pages : [1] 2

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Whats your take on these guys? Would these guys be 5-0 on the Chiefs.....or do they make too many mistakes and turnovers in critical situations? Sure, they put up great "box scores" , but so did Jeff George......

TribalElder
10-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Romoception!

Baby Lee
10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I said years ago that Romo will never go to a SB as a starting QB. Haven't been proven wrong yet.

-King-
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Those two terms aren't mutually exclusive...

Easy 6
10-07-2013, 04:03 PM
No, no way we're 5-0 with any of them, they just LOVE making huge errors at critical times.

Smiff may not play "pretty" but he doesn't destroy morale with ill-timed mistakes nearly as often either.

BlackHelicopters
10-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Define "franchise QB".

10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
losers when it counts

lcarus
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
They're good fantasy QBs at best.

Phobia
10-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure Romo belongs with those other two but I get your point.

loochy
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Good QBs, but not ELITE QBs.

MTG#10
10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
We're 5-0 with Rivers

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Romo has kept a mediocre Dallas team relevant for a while. I'd absolutely love to have him here in KC

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure Romo belongs with those other two but I get your point.

The problem with these guys is they play just good enough....to break your heart....but never lose their jobs. tough situation to be in if your a GM or fan. Heck, for all we know, Alex Smith might be the same type of QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

10-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Romo has kept a mediocre Dallas team relevant for a while. I'd absolutely love to have him here in KC

not sure if serious

With Romo we have at least two losses this year.

Just Passin' By
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Whats your take on these guys? Would these guys be 5-0 on the Chiefs.....or do they make too many mistakes and turnovers in critical situations? Sure, they put up great "box scores" , but so did Jeff George......

They're all good enough to beat any team, but they're all big enough chokers that you can't rely on them to carry you all the way to the title. They're like Peyton that way, only they don't get the referee help that he did in '06.

They're almost opposites of Eli that way. He's not particularly good, but he's capable of getting hot and making it through the playoffs.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Good QBs, but not ELITE QBs.

This...

saphojunkie
10-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I feel like a franchise QB is just that - a QB you can design and build your franchise around. All of these guys have the talent to go to the super bowl, but they all share a common ability to piss away games in crunch time with devastating turnovers.

But, if you had better coaching and a strong defense, there is no reason they couldn't have gotten to the Super Bowl.

Just my take.

I still think they all suck, but FFS... Rex Grossman went to a Super Bowl.

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:15 PM
not sure if serious

With the way our d has played, with romo, we'd have absolutely blown out 4 of the 5 teams we've played.

People love to hate romo cause he makes the big mistake, but fail to realize that without him, the cowboys wouldn't be in a position for those mistakes to be made.

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Dallas is only relevant because of its large fan base and media. Realistically they haven't been relevant since the late 90s.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
How many qbs in the league could put themselves or their team in the position to even make the mistake he made yesterday, with that defense against manning?

Rasputin
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
They are "Franchise" quarterbacks for their respected teams, however they are losers when it comes to clutch.

Sandy Vagina
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
No, no way we're 5-0 with any of them, they just LOVE making huge errors at critical times.

Smiff may not play "pretty" but he doesn't destroy morale with ill-timed mistakes nearly as often either.

This.

No doubt, they can be very exciting QBs and make some highly productive fantasy stats... but.... :doh!:

Sandy Vagina
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
With the way our d has played, with romo, we'd have absolutely blown out 4 of the 5 teams we've played.

People love to hate romo cause he makes the big mistake, but fail to realize that without him, the cowboys wouldn't be in a position for those mistakes to be made.

What would Romo be without DEz and Witten?

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM
If we had romo and he did here what he's doing in Dallas, we'd be blowing teams out by halftime.

The jags, Philly, giants and titans games would have been easy wins.

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

What would they be without romo?

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 04:27 PM
If we had romo and he did here what he's doing in Dallas, we'd be blowing teams out by halftime.

The jags, Philly, giants and titans games would have been easy wins.

He lost to the Chiefs 17-16
He lost to Denver scoring at will..

He can lose in a variety of ways depending on the team he's playing against.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
10-07-2013, 04:28 PM

This argument is fucking stupid.

Sandy Vagina
10-07-2013, 04:31 PM
This argument is ****ing stupid.

yer a stoopit head!

( just kidding... don't curr, carry on )

Easy 6
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
He can lose in a variety of ways depending on the team he's playing against.
Posted via Mobile Device

:bravo:

Eleazar
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
They are above average QBs.

Red Dawg
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Cutler is a loser and sooooooooooo overrated.

gold_and_red
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Define "franchise QB".

IMHO it is somebody who can put the O on his back and always keep a team in the game. It is not about gaudy stats or big armed throws. But more likely than not franchise QBs will have stats and the throws to back up the hype.

TheGuardian
10-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Franchise QB's don't always get to super bowls.

And some non franchise QB's do.

SB's are not always a way to designate a franchise QB.

The Franchise
10-07-2013, 04:40 PM
IMHO it is somebody who can put the O on his back and always keep a team in the game. It is not about gaudy stats or big armed throws. But more likely than not franchise QBs will have stats and the throws to back up the hype.

Romo sure as hell did that yesterday. I still won't put that loss completely on Romo.

O.city
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Since 2006 romo has the highest 4th quarter qb rating in the entire NFL.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Romo would make the Chiefs an actual SB contender and propel their offense to top 5/10 in the league (rather than being below average as they are right now). He's a significantly better QB than Alex Smith.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 05:01 PM
not sure if serious

Laughable claim. With Romo, the Chiefs would have an actual offense that can put points on the board. Every game would have likely been a blowout considering KC's D.

Phobia
10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Romo gets shit on because of bandwagon Dallas fans. He's better than they deserve. He's not an elite QB but he's way, way better than his reputation.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Romo's best season came in a year where Bryant wasn't on the roster (2009). So pretty damn good, it appears.

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Romo gets shit on because of bandwagon Dallas fans. He's better than they deserve. He's not an elite QB but he's way, way better than his reputation.

This. That poor bastard has carried that team for years without any sort of run game.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd say he's ranked somewhere near 10 among starting QBs in the NFL. Maybe a little better than that, maybe a little worse. Anybody who doesn't think he wouldn't be an improvement on Smith is kidding themselves.

gold_and_red
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Feel bad for him. Most QBs suck for an entire game! This guy flat out beasts for 58 minutes and makes that memorable mistake....

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
That stat makes you think what Dallas could have been with a better running game and defense over the years.

-King-
10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Hes a franchises QB but will never win anything meaningful cause he cant handle any type of pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I will say this about Romo. He gets put in shitty situations because Dallas is a thoroughly mediocre run organization. With a better coach and GM who could build a better all around team, he wouldn't be put in situations where it was always on his shoulders.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I will say this about Romo. He gets put in shitty situations because Dallas is a thoroughly mediocre run organization. With a better coach and GM who could build a better all around team, he wouldn't be put in situations where it was always on his shoulders.
Posted via Mobile Device
He has had the misfortune of playing for a flawed, mediocre team his entire career. Kind of similar to how Marino used to carry the Dolphins to the playoffs and then lose when they got there.

Deberg_1990
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
He has had the misfortune of playing for a flawed, mediocre team his entire career. Kind of similar to how Marino used to carry the Dolphins to the playoffs and then lose when they got there.

Heh, I was gonna mention the Marino thing too. I think sometimes organizations get fooled into thinking a supremely talented QB can do it all by himself. Then sort of ignore other parts of the team. It creates an imbalance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gadzooks
10-07-2013, 05:36 PM
This. That poor bastard has carried that team for years without any sort of run game.

Sounds like Marino. Not only that, Marino had no receivers.

Gadzooks
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Romo would make the Chiefs an actual SB contender and propel their offense to top 5/10 in the league (rather than being below average as they are right now). He's a significantly better QB than Alex Smith.

I agree with this.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
It is TOO bad for Romo he threw that pick. Lights fucking OUT the entire game. You shouldn't get SHIT on for putting up 48, but I can see WHY people do so. He's made a bunch of bonehead plays...but DAMN he was impressive Sunday.

Sorter
10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
It is TOO bad for Romo he threw that pick. Lights ****ing OUT the entire game. You shouldn't get SHIT on for putting up 48, but I can see WHY people do so. He's made a bunch of bonehead plays...but DAMN he was impressive Sunday.

I just feel bad for the guy and I detest the Cowboys.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
I just feel bad for the guy and I detest the Cowboys.

I really do think they win if Jughead was rightly called for grounding.

hometeam
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
With the defense/st scoring every game, while only giving up 11 points. Yes we are 5-0 with all of them.

whoman69
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
You can be a really good QB and not be a franchise QB. These guys have one thing in common, they don't deal well with adversity. Statistically Romo is one of the greatest QBs of all time. In reality he's nowhere close.

Gravedigger
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Romo is the closest thing to Marino out of the 3. Cutler and Rivers are just fantasy football QB's. I would like to see Romo actually succeed just a little bit, but it seems that whether its his defense giving up 51 points, or him muffing a kick hold, he can't seem to catch a break.

scho63
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I have a theory that Tony Romo has a bad case of nerves and each time a game is close in the late 4th quarter, he folds like an accordion.

Guy has thrown more late game INTs that kill his team chances.

He has one playoff win and in most of his playoff losses, he has thrown 3-4 INTs

I think he sucks

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
You can be a really good QB and not be a franchise QB. These guys have one thing in common, they don't deal well with adversity. Statistically Romo is one of the greatest QBs of all time. In reality he's nowhere close.
Would people by saying something similar to this about Peyton Manning if he never won that one SB?

Sorter
10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
I have a theory that Tony Romo has a bad case of nerves and each time a game is close in the late 4th quarter, he folds like an accordion.

Guy has thrown more late game INTs that kill his team chances.

He has one playoff win and in most of his playoff losses, he has thrown 3-4 INTs

I think he sucks

He's had a couple come from behind/last moment wins, FWIW.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
STATS!!!!!!

Gravedigger
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Would people by saying something similar to this about Peyton Manning if he never won that one SB?

Of course, same with Drew Brees. If Peyton won 2 and Brees won none, they'd be saying either one of these guys are Marino #2.

O.city

He's been the best 4th quarter qb since 2006

KC_Connection
He's actually had several that I can recall. And he wouldn't be the best QB in the league statistically in the 4th if he was that big of a choker late, one would think.

Marcellus
10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
The term "franchise QB" is waaay overused.

There are only about 5 in the league and those 3 aren't any of them.

O.city
10-07-2013, 06:25 PM
The term "franchise QB" is waaay overused.

There are only about 5 in the league and those 3 aren't any of them.

Franchise qb isn't overused

"Elite" is overused

Marcellus
10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Franchise qb isn't overused

"Elite" is overused

I see them as almost the same.

For example, if you take Shaub and put him on Atlanta, is Atlanta much worse if at all?

If you replace Cutler with Shaub is Chicago much worse if at all?

Is Shaub franchise, no.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
300 yard games > Wins in CP's eyes

O.city
10-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I see them as almost the same.

For example, if you take Shaub and put him on Atlanta, is Atlanta much worse if at all?

If you replace Cutler with Shaub is Chicago much worse if at all?

Is Shaub franchise, no.

I don't think they're necessarily the same.

I don't think Eli, or Big Ben, or flacco are elite. But they're franchise qbs.

I think there are 3 elite qbs in the league right now. Bree's, manning and Rodgers. I think Brady is still close, but he hasn't really played well this year.

Rausch
10-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Is Fish also a good RT because we're 5-0?

Is Robinson a good cover corner because we're 5-0?...

tk13
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I don't think they're necessarily the same.

I don't think Eli, or Big Ben, or flacco are elite. But they're franchise qbs.

I think there are 3 elite qbs in the league right now. Bree's, manning and Rodgers. I think Brady is still close, but he hasn't really played well this year.

Yeah but Brady is playing with 10 guys off the street. They'd probably have 2 wins at best with many of the other QBs listed in this thread.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Is Fish also a good RT because we're 5-0?

Is Robinson a good cover corner because we're 5-0?...

When are we supposed to buy in then? It's no accident winning 25 out of 30 games in this league.

It's not a fluke ass 13-3 followed by a turd.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Also, the Niners D MAGICALLY got back in sync when they neutered Kap.

MahiMike
10-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I like romo. Hes just as smart as alex or Peyton.

Valiant
10-07-2013, 06:36 PM
All franchise. He made one poor decision against the donks. Peyton made one to. Not all qbs are guaranteed to win a super bowl. Look at marino.

If he were on the chiefs many of you would have romo tattoos.

tk13
10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I can see how Romo probably isn't quite as bad as his reputation... but at the same time it's how he's going to be remembered. They've laid some real eggs in the playoffs... and then multiple times they've bombed in week 17 where a win would get them in. At least a couple of those games were truly NFC East playoff games where the loser went home.

At least Dan Marino went to and won several playoff games. Romo's not a terrible QB, but he has to break through at some point. It's weird sometimes how we rip on guys who win and then make excuses for QB's who don't.

-King-
10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
He's been the best 4th quarter qb since 2006

Eh. He chokes in just about any pressure situation. He may be good in the 4th quarter when Cowboys have a comfortable lead, but in pressure situations, he's one of the worst.

Rain Man
10-07-2013, 07:11 PM
At one point I would've said that Rivers was a franchise quarterback, but I think his star didn't last long enough. I guess we'll see if he can recover his powers this year.

Romo and Cutler aren't franchise quarterbacks. They're in the class of quarterbacks that are always present and have a few good years but are never dominant. They're this generation's Bobby Hebert or Bert Jones or Daunte Culpepper.

Just Passin' By
10-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Romo gets shit on because he's a choking dog.

9er guy
10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
These guy are great QB's, but sadly not everyone gets to win the SB.

I definitely think you can build a franchise around all these guys whether they win a SB or not has a lot more to do with the situation and circumstances than who the QB is.

Obviously you have to have one. But you're never the guy until you're the guy. Ask Flacco and Manning.

You say Rivers, Romo, Cutler.

I say Kelly, Fouts, and Marino.

Not to compare the two groups. But it's just not in the cards for some guys to be champions.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I can see how Romo probably isn't quite as bad as his reputation... but at the same time it's how he's going to be remembered. They've laid some real eggs in the playoffs... and then multiple times they've bombed in week 17 where a win would get them in. At least a couple of those games were truly NFC East playoff games where the loser went home.

There's a lot more to teams winning and losing in this league than the performance of the QB. Romo with his flawed Dallas teams (and Marino before him in Miami) would be perfect examples of that.

GoChargers
10-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Rivers might get to a Super Bowl with a stacked supporting cast (i.e. Houston). He's never doing it with the Chargers, not after how AJ let all the talent go and ruined our cap situation.

On the fence about Cutler.

Romo is a complete joke. He will never even sniff a Super Bowl.

tk13
10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
There's a lot more to teams winning and losing in this league than the performance of the QB. Romo with his flawed Dallas teams (and Marino before him in Miami) would be perfect examples of that.

I agree with that... but I do think we selectively apply this argument sometimes. The QB position is what wins games in the NFL, until it isn't.

And like I said... Marino won several playoff games. I do think Romo needs to win more than 1 to approach that zip code. It's possible for him to make a Flacco like run to a Super Bowl.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Eh. He chokes in just about any pressure situation. He may be good in the 4th quarter when Cowboys have a comfortable lead, but in pressure situations, he's one of the worst.
Are there any statistics to support that claim? I mean, sure, it certainly does feel that way.

But that may be a bit of selective memory and remembering the few major disappointments over the times that he actually was successful close and late (which his 4th quarter stats suggest he is).

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I agree with that... but I do think we selectively apply this argument sometimes. The QB position is what wins games in the NFL, until it isn't.

QB play is important, but it's never everything. The Chiefs, for example, have a mediocre starting QB but are winning games because their defense is exceptional (basically the 49ers model of a few years ago).

And like I said... Marino won several playoff games. I do think Romo needs to win more than 1 to approach that zip code. It's possible for him to make a Flacco like run to a Super Bowl.
Dallas would need to find an actual defense at some point if that's ever going to happen.

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Just found this for statistical support for his close and late situations:

Romo has an above-average DVOA (Football Outsiders’ opponent-adjusted per-play efficiency metric) in late and close situations (any play in the second half or overtime when the score is within eight points). The 2010 season is the only exception, and in the other four seasons, Romo’s DVOA is actually higher in those situations than overall. And if you choose to argue that Romo melts under the brightest spotlights, consider that he has one of the best Quarterback DVOA rankings in nationally televised games since 2008.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/06/tony-romo-interception-denver-broncos/

It would seem Romo isn't the complete choker late that people like to portray him as.

Valiant
10-07-2013, 10:08 PM

But some QBs are just there to not lose games.. game managers.. Dilfer and like..

Mav
10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
But some QBs are just there to not lose games.. game managers.. Dilfer and like..

Rather have a winner, than a stat stuffer. Leave the stat stuffing to FANTASY football.

Give me wins on sundays. give my team a chance in the playoffs.

The three in the OP, have never shown in their careers to be that guy that you need in the playoffs.

Especially ROMO.

TripleThreat
10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
We're 5-0 with Rivers

Id agree with the above. The other QB's we wouldn't be 5-0 though.

O.city
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Rather have a winner, than a stat stuffer. Leave the stat stuffing to FANTASY football.

The three in the OP, have never shown in their careers to be that guy that you need in the playoffs.

Especially ROMO.

When has romo ever had a defense and or a running game to help?

KC_Connection
10-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Especially ROMO.
Is Smith a "winner?" Because he wouldn't be winning anything on a team like Dallas.

Gadzooks
10-07-2013, 10:27 PM
If you look at the past 13 SBs and replaced the Starting QB of the winning team with any one of the 3 listed QBs, I'd bet your farm that all 3 would be able to win those games (with the exception of the 3 NE spygate SBs).

Iconic
10-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Out of all 3 I'd pick Rivers. I feel like with the proper talent around him he'd be elite.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Ban knowmo

Mav
10-08-2013, 02:46 AM
Is Smith a "winner?" Because he wouldn't be winning anything on a team like Dallas.

Yeah. that's what they said about him being in KC too.

They opened up the offense for Colin Kaepernick too. They were 1-2, and went back to game managing, and have had two very convincing wins.

Amazing what relying on a strong run game, and protecting the ball will do for a team.

And to O.city, and Romo. They run that team through Romo. They have said that they are going to rely on him. They have a really good running back. They have a lot of pieces on defense. Unfortunately, they didn't stay with Rob Ryan long enough, and address their safeties to give him the help he needed.

Look at how he is doing with the Saints.

People cant have it both ways.

I didn't even mention Alex Smith.

This had nothing to do with him.

IN regards to Cutler, Romo, and Rivers, excuses are made for them, that aren't made for other qbs.

Rivers couldn't get it done, when he had LT. Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, and a great defense.

Cutler couldn't do it in Denver with Brandon Marshall, isn't doing it again in Chicago with a plethora of weapons, a great defense.

Romo, who has a hall of famer in Demarcus Ware, all of the offensive weapons. Dez, Miles, Witten.

8-8.

With Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers on that team, that is a 12 win team.

Sandy Vagina
10-08-2013, 06:26 AM

That can be a very underrated "skill" in itself... especially for QBs with far more they could give than a Dilfer type. Imagine all of the games a guy like Romo or Rivers could have won had they simply not screwed the team over by forcing passes that were intercepted or not protecting the ball and fumbling it away.

Some quarterbacks get to play for a team with a very strong defense and/or STs.. but lacking offensive firepower. So those QBs had better know how to play more careful, situational football. Take their shots when deemed necessary to... but don't go ape-shit wild trying to do too much on every possession.

I think it's wrong to "punish" these QBs that know the right role to play on their team and do so accordingly. :shrug:

Chuck Fargers
10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Franchise qb's yes, in that all 3 teams have given extended leashes to each of them. None of their teams are eyeballing qb's in the draft. But in about 5 years, we'll all look back and say they didn't deserve (if we don't already now).

Cutler - Got ruined by getting thrown into the fire too early in Den. Does a lot of things well but he's a diva without strong locker room support. Perhaps the most boneheaded of the group.

Rivers - Might be the only qb I dislike more than Cutler. Smart and accurate but noodle-armed and moves like Peyton if Peyton was wearing snow shoes at the beach.

Romo - Cursed. Has all the skills but destined to screw up in big moments, end of story. Deep down he believes it, and that's all she wrote.

BigCatDaddy
10-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Moving the ball >bad in PGM's eyes

warrior
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Out of all 3 I'd pick Rivers. I feel like with the proper talent around him he'd be elite.

He had that for 10 years :doh!:

BlackHelicopters
10-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Career losers

Mav
10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
He had that for 10 years :doh!:

Thank you.

I mean at one time he had Michael Turner, Sproles, and LT, with Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson .

How many more WEAPONS do you need?

l4z4rd
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
talented QBs, but will find always find a way to lose the game.

Just Passin' By
10-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Franchise qb's yes, in that all 3 teams have given extended leashes to each of them. None of their teams are eyeballing qb's in the draft. But in about 5 years, we'll all look back and say they didn't deserve (if we don't already now).

Cutler - Got ruined by getting thrown into the fire too early in Den. Does a lot of things well but he's a diva without strong locker room support. Perhaps the most boneheaded of the group.

Rivers - Might be the only qb I dislike more than Cutler. Smart and accurate but noodle-armed and moves like Peyton if Peyton was wearing snow shoes at the beach.

Romo - Cursed. Has all the skills but destined to screw up in big moments, end of story. Deep down he believes it, and that's all she wrote.

Cutler's problem has always been Cutler. He's had the same problems in college, in Denver and in Chicago. He flakes out.

Romo's problem has always been Romo. He can kill either team.

Rivers' problem has always been that he's played on a stupid team, and he's part of that, although I think he used to be a more dependable QB than either of the others.

Pepe Silvia
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Loo-hoo-ser-hers

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Romo is such a bum....throws another INT, with a close lead, late in the game. Just over 2 minutes left.

Eleazar
12-15-2013, 06:33 PM
I think Rivers is more of a case where his team has held him back, mostly. He's probably good enough to win a Super Bowl.

The other two, just don't have it.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
This could be it for Romo. This year...

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Looks like Romo is gonna get a chance to redeem himself.

12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Is this the late games thread today?

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-15-2013, 06:41 PM
That's a Int

-King-
WOW!! He just threw another INT. He's the least clutch QB in the league.

Deberg_1990
Should be in INT.

KChiefer

aaaand he choked.

stonedstooge
12-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Girls and Romo blow another. w00t

JoeyChuckles
With that pass he probably got his coach fired at the end of the season.

Bob Dole
And TONY ROMO just gave away another one...

DeezNutz
Never should have been put in that position. All Dallas had to do was run the fucking ball.

Nevertheless, Romo melted down. Again.

GloryDayz
I think Romo needs to sprint to the locker room, change and bolt for the lot. He's totally fucked the Cowboys (again)...

Bob Dole
12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Girls and Romo blow another. w00t

And life for a KC fan in Texas is good.

And TONY ROMO just gave away another one...TONY ROMO

ROYC75

Nope, just threw another one.

Pepe Silvia
12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
That's a pick. **** you Romo.

Pablo
LMAO

I love to see the Cowboys fail.

-King-
Never should have been put in that position. All Dallas had to do was run the fucking ball.

Nevertheless, Romo melted down. Again.

They've done that two weeks in a row. They DOMINATE when they run, but then they decide to pass every down and fail.

stonedstooge
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
And life for a KC fan in Texas is good.

AND for America. HAHA

stonedstooge
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Dez Bryant pulls a Randy Moss and leaves the field

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 06:46 PM
This could be it for Romo. This year...

Nope. Romo is "Jerry's Boy".

And I'm perfectly fine with that. LoL.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Romo has the most "don't give a shit" look in all of football. JJ's going to have to do something about him this year...

Not to mention that it sounded like a GB home game. Yeah, that's pretty embarrassing for Jerryville...

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2013, 06:48 PM
LMAO This isn't on Romo. Dallas' D is awful.

Rausch
12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
With that pass he probably got his coach fired at the end of the season.

He should have been last year...

LoneWolf
12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Jerry World has taken away any home field advantage they ever had. Every game that I've watched of theirs you can never tell by the crowd if Dallas is doing well or sucking ass.

Sure-Oz
12-15-2013, 06:50 PM

48 passes 18 runs....they need to fire everyone

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Dez Bryant pulls a Randy Moss and leaves the field

Under the circumstances I think he won't hear too much about it. If they do, I'm sure he'll take it and start doing worse like getting into Romo's face on national TV, so the Cowboys should consider carefully what's done to anybody who acts like they care, and focus on folks like Romo who seem to not give a shit about what just happened.

LoneWolf
12-15-2013, 06:51 PM

2 picks in the last 4 minutes. It is his fault.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 06:51 PM
And I'd take BD and JW in a heart beat.... And right now, they might just be looking for a change next year if they can work it... With my luck, they'll end up in Denver!

ThaVirus
12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Jerry World has taken away any home field advantage they ever had. Every game that I've watched of theirs you can never tell by the crowd if Dallas is doing well or sucking ass.

You're right.

ThaVirus
12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
2 picks in the last 4 minutes. It is his fault.

They should have been running the ball but yeah.. You just can't throw two 4th quarter INTs. You just can't.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Tony Romo is the Lee Westwood of QBs.

The Cowboys are a perfect storm of ineptitude, and it's all Jerry's fault.

His head coach is a clueless tool, his QB is one of the premier choke artists in the history of organized sports, and his coordinators are absolute mongs.

Namor40
12-15-2013, 06:55 PM
48 passes 18 runs....they need to fire everyone

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/ComingToAmericaLaugh.gif

fishnut
12-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Romo needs to be waived right NOW! This is the last straw! I'd rather have Tim Tebow for the next 10 years than Choke-Mo.

-King-
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Romo needs to be waived right NOW! This is the last straw! I'd rather have Tim Tebow for the next 10 years than Choke-Mo.

You joined just to comment on Romo? That's random.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
You do realize that the Dallas defense just allowed 37 points to a Flynn-led Packers team, right? You Cowboys fans have got bigger problems than Tony Romo being a top 10 QB instead of a top 5 QB.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Tony Romo is the Lee Westwood of QBs.

The Cowboys are a perfect storm of ineptitude, and it's all Jerry's fault.

His head coach is a clueless tool, his QB is one of the premier choke artists in the history of organized sports, and his coordinators are absolute mongs.
I'd still take the Lee Westwood of QBs over what the Chiefs have got right now.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 07:05 PM

:facepalm:

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:06 PM
:facepalm:
Tony Romo is a far better QB than Alex Smith. Nobody being remotely reasonable at all could dispute that.

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/ComingToAmericaLaugh.gif

Gif of the day

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Tony Romo is a far better QB than Alex Smith. Nobody being remotely reasonable at all could dispute that.

Definitely, all of those picks today were clutch.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Definitely, all of those picks today were clutch.
You do realize you're talking about a QB with a 29/9 TD to INT ratio this season, right?

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 07:11 PM

There's more to football than fantasy stats brah.

Pepe Silvia
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM

This. It's not always about the flash, it's about results.

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
You do realize you're talking about a QB with a 29/9 TD to INT ratio this season, right?

Yep, and most of those nine came at the WORST possible times.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:14 PM
You mean like defenses that aren't the worst in the league and allow 37 points to the Flynn-led Green Bay Packers?

Romo would make the Chiefs a real SB contender. He's far better at what he does than Smith and always has been.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM

There is something about Romo that stats will never be able to quantify, and I don't think it's just narrative. I've never seen a quarterback with an ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like him.

It's not even like he has the Chris Webber gene where he's terrified of the clutch and avoids it.

I think I have the right comp:

He's like 2012-13 Phil Pressey played on a loop.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Yep, and most of those nine came at the WORST possible times.
And you're basing that on what exactly?

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:16 PM
There is something about Romo that stats will never be able to quantify, and I don't think it's just narrative. I've never seen a quarterback with an ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like him.

It's not even like he has the Chris Webber gene where he's terrified of the clutch and avoids it.

I think I have the right comp:

He's like 2012-13 Phil Pressey played on a loop.
It is mostly just narrative. Put him in a different organization that isn't full of clowns for his entire career and that narrative changes.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 07:18 PM

I'm no Cowboy hater, but I'd say that as good as Romo might be at times, you can't have a QB that you feel you need to NOT have play in the 4th quarter.

And yes, the D totally screwed the pooch too, but there's no excuse for the totaly reliance on the pass OR Romo throwing those INTs. So a lot of firing needs to happen if JJ can get past his ego.

Start with Benching Romo (he won't care!!), fire the OC who thought throwing in the 2nd half was a good idea, and thr HC and DC need to be told that they might make it to the end of the year, but it's nothing more than an interview for their next teams - so make magic or look stupid (and not get a job offer).

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Romo is a good QB that's played in a shit organization for his entire career. I know people hate the guy, but I have no idea why that's so hard for people to grasp. There have been plenty like him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2013, 07:22 PM
It is mostly just narrative. Put him in a different organization that isn't full of clowns for his entire career and that narrative changes.

Perhaps it is. It just seems to happen at an asinine rate. Then again, you can't have rules without exceptions.

I'd certainly take him over Smith in a vacuum, but if I was up one or two scores in the fourth quarter he'd be the last guy in the world I'd want under center.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm no Cowboy hater, but I'd say that as good as Romo might be at times, you can't have a QB that you feel you need to NOT have play in the 4th quarter.

Fact: Romo has the highest fourth-quarter passer rating among active quarterbacks. And it’s not even close. His 102.1 rating is more than five points higher than the second man on the list, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696976/do-stats-lie-no-qb-better-than-tony-romo-in-fourth-quarter

But yeah, I'm sure benching Romo because of his supposed 4th quarter failure is the prudent decision to make.

And yes, the D totally screwed the pooch too, but there's no excuse for the totaly reliance on the pass OR Romo throwing those INTs. So a lot of firing needs to happen if JJ can get past his ego.

Start with Benching Romo (he won't care!!), fire the OC who thought throwing in the 2nd half was a good idea, and thr HC and DC need to be told that they might make it to the end of the year, but it's nothing more than an interview for their next teams - so make magic or look stupid (and not get a job offer).
Oh, there's no doubt there should be plenty of firings and changes in Dallas. But Romo is not, nor has he ever been a problem with that organization. He's the only thing that's even keeping them mediocre.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2013, 07:29 PM
It'd be interesting to see what his 4th quarter rating is with a few more splits thrown in, like in a one score game, or with seven or fewer minutes left.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Perhaps it is. It just seems to happen at an asinine rate. Then again, you can't have rules without exceptions.

If Dallas ever had a team worth a shit, I have little doubt he'd be thought of completely different. It's not like Brady or Manning haven't ever thrown interceptions in big situations before, they've done it plenty of times. Their organizations just have had the talent to cover those mistakes up and, of course, the rings to give them pedigree.

I'd certainly take him over Smith in a vacuum, but if I was up one or two scores in the fourth quarter he'd be the last guy in the world I'd want under center.
When I see finishes like today from him, I would tend to agree (although I have no idea what Beasley was doing on that last route). But then I wonder if that is just my selective memory at work.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2013, 07:31 PM

I'm of the belief Romo would find a way to lose no matter if it was 10-7 or 45-41.

stonedstooge
12-15-2013, 07:32 PM
If Dallas ever had a team worth a shit, I have little doubt he'd be thought of completely different. It's not like Brady or Manning haven't ever thrown interceptions in big situations before, they've done it plenty of times. Their organizations just have had the talent to cover those mistakes up and, of course, the rings to give them pedigree.

When I see finishes like today from him, I would tend to agree (although I have no idea what Beasley was doing on that last route). But then I wonder if that is just my selective memory at work.

So Jerry Jones hasn't tried to surround him with talent? OK

tk13
Can't totally blame the guy when the D gives up 37.

But, it's amazing how he makes these terrible mistakes at the worst times, and usually in big games. It's heading for another week 17 game where Dallas will be fighting for a playoff spot, and somehow choke it away.

KC_Connection
It'd be interesting to see what his 4th quarter rating is with a few more splits thrown in, like in a one score game, or with seven or fewer minutes left.
Something like this maybe: http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/77534/romo-gets-it-done-late-more-often-than-not

It has him 4th in QBR in 4th quarter/OT with the score margin being between -8 and +8 (behind Luck, Rodgers, and Brees)

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
So Jerry Jones hasn't tried to surround him with talent? OK
Of course he's tried. But do you seriously believe he's been successful when you've seen some of these teams he's put together? The Cowboys are a joke and it's not because of their above average QB.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 07:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696976/do-stats-lie-no-qb-better-than-tony-romo-in-fourth-quarter

But yeah, I'm sure benching Romo because of his supposed 4th quarter failure is the prudent decision to make.

Oh, there's no doubt there should be plenty of firings and changes in Dallas. But Romo is not, nor has he ever been a problem with that organization. He's the only thing that's even keeping them mediocre.

Then I'm sure he'll have a lot of teams licking their chops and giving up great draft picks to get him.

I get it, his stats look great, but he's known to choke at all the wrong times. And his "don't give a shit" looks don't help in the industry he's in.

But it's JJ's team, and he can do what he wants.

As for DB leaving early (not that you brought it up), I'm thinking I'd be ready to give him as much of a pass for that as they will to Romo and the AC for their parts in this. OR......if players like him do something entertaining like take the franchise QB to task on the side line and tell him to "shut the fuck up and act just a little like he cares" (so the world can see), then don't complain when the "leader" is getting his ass taken to task by his own players.

Lord knows it's fun to watch... And i hate emotionless players!

O.city
12-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I know he did what he did to end the game, but being up 26-3 AT&T he half, it's tough to put it all on him

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 07:38 PM

You're crazy. Not that he should take all the blame, Jerry should take a good chunk of it, but he chokes constantly.

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Oh and Garrett just threw Romo under the bus by saying he called a run and Romo changed the play which he then in turn threw the game losing INT.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I know he did what he did to end the game, but being up 26-3 AT&T he half, it's tough to put it all on him

Oh, the D imploded (as usual), but the OC was worse in calling almost exclusive passing plays, and Romo's two clutch INTs can't be overlooked.

The DC is fighting a year of injuries, and, like the entire NFL, playing in the secondary is a crime against humanity, so he's a failure, but it's a bit more understandable. But it's not OK for the OC to pull what he did, and the HC let him get away with it.

But the biggest fail is JJ with his refusal to admit he was wrong. Unfortunately for Cowboy fans, he's the only one who's unfireable... Like what we went through with our beloved Lamar Hunt (and the jury is out on his kid [but he's looking to be an upgrade]).

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Then I'm sure he'll have a lot of teams licking their chops and giving up great draft picks to get him.

If he was ever available (and he won't be because Jerry Jones knows he's the only thing keeping that awful team afloat), plenty of teams would. Hopefully the Chiefs if they know what's good for them.

And his "don't give a shit" looks don't help in the industry he's in.
I have no idea what you're on about here. Do you want him to yell at his idiot teammates like Phillip Rivers and come off like a total jackass? Would they give him the requisite intensity in your mind? There have been plenty of great players in the history of sports that were stoic, it's not a reason to suggest they didn't care about what they were doing.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Oh and Garrett just threw Romo under the bus by saying he called a run and Romo changed the play which he then in turn threw the game losing INT.
Garrett is a dead man walking at this point, so he might as well get his shots in while he can.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:49 PM
You're crazy. Not that he should take all the blame, Jerry should take a good chunk of it, but he chokes constantly.
No, I'm actually being reasonable here. Romo is a good QB on a bad team. Don't let ridiculous media narratives affect your opinions on players and organizations.

It's on a completely different level, but the Romo stuff actually kind of reminds me of how LeBron used to catch all kinds of shit in Cleveland for not winning championships (when it was almost entirely because his teammates weren't anywhere near good enough to do so).

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Garrett is a dead man walking at this point, so he might as well get his shots in while he can.

Jerry just said last week he was going to be the coach next year. Jerry needs to hire a real GM and real President and get his nose out of running the team.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Jerry just said last week he was going to be the coach next year. Jerry needs to hire a real GM and real President and get his nose out of running the team.
And you believe him? What else is he going to say about his head coach? If Dallas doesn't make the playoffs (and they probably won't, their team is bad), Garrett is gone.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
If he was ever available (and he won't be because Jerry Jones knows he's the only thing keeping that awful team afloat), plenty of teams would. Hopefully the Chiefs if they know what's good for them.

I have no idea what you're on about here. Do you want him to yell at his idiot teammates like Phillip Rivers and come off like a total jackass? Would they give him the requisite intensity in your mind? There have been plenty of great players in the history of sports that were stoic, it's not a reason to suggest they didn't care about what they were doing.

Well, a little more like Brady or Manning would be nice. But the care-not thing is worse than being an emotional jackass. It's one thing to be cool and calm, it's another to appear to not care (more often than not).

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
No, I'm actually being reasonable here. Romo is a good QB on a bad team. Don't let ridiculous media narratives affect your opinions on players and organizations.

It's on a completely different level, but the Romo stuff actually kind of reminds me of how LeBron used to catch all kinds of shit in Cleveland for not winning championships (when it was almost entirely because his teammates weren't anywhere near good enough to do so).

No he is a choker and I won't ever change my opinion of him unless he wins it all which he won't.

he is 1-3 as a starter in the playoffs, and 0-3 in other games when a playoff berth was on the line.

And you believe him? What else is he going to say about his head coach? If Dallas doesn't make the playoffs (and they probably won't, their team is bad), Garrett is gone.

It wouldn't surprise me either way.

Chieftain58
12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Rivers is better than those 2 but his anger probably fucks with his game

Down4Chiefs
12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't want any of those players on the Chiefs to be honest over Alex. Id rather take a shot at a prospect than career losers who manage to look great and awful for stretches.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
No he is a choker

Your selective memory tells you that. Unfortunately, the facts simply don't.

and I won't ever change my opinion of him unless he wins it all which he won't.

Yeah, that's because he plays for a shit team and likely always will unless he forces a trade out of there. It doesn't mean he's not a good QB, though. Winning a championship is team based.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Well, a little more like Brady or Manning would be nice. But the care-not thing is worse than being an emotional jackass. It's one thing to be cool and calm, it's another to appear to not care (more often than not).
You're only perceiving him that way because he's not constantly yelling at people (which one could argue from some of these guys is more fake than anything). There's no reason to think he doesn't care about what he's doing.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 08:35 PM
You're only perceiving him that way because he's not constantly yelling at people (which one could argue from some of these guys is more fake than anything). There's no reason to think he doesn't care about what he's doing.

If that's true, at this point he may want to "play it up" a bit. To most of us he looks like he's just happy to pull a fat paycheck.

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Your selective memory tells you that. Unfortunately, the facts simply don't.

Yeah, that's because he plays for a shit team and likely always will unless he forces a trade out of there. It doesn't mean he's not a good QB, though. Winning a championship is team based.

No argument from me that the Cowboys aren't a good team, they have good players but need better coaching and a real GM. But Romo is a choker and until he wins he will always have that label.

The Cowboys have lost the last eight games in which Romo has thrown a fourth-quarter interception, with six of those losses coming by seven points or fewer.

Since 2010, Romo's Total QBR in the first 12 minutes of the fourth quarter/OT is 80. That's second-best in the NFL behind Peyton Manning. However, his QBR drops to a below-average 44 in the game's final three minutes.

Most INT in 4th Quarter or OT
Score Tied or Leading by 7 or Fewer

<table> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td>Tony Romo</td> <td>8</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Tom Brady</td> <td>7</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Matt Ryan</td> <td>7</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Matt Schaub</td> <td>6</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Chad Henne</td> <td>6</td> </tr> </tbody> <tfoot><tr><td colspan="2">*Since Tony Romo’s 1st Season (2006)</td></tr></tfoot></table>

And he's not only making these mistakes as the Cowboys attempt to rally from late deficits. Eight of Romo's fourth-quarter interceptions have come with the Cowboys tied or leading by one score - that's the most in the NFL in that span.

Red Dawg
12-15-2013, 08:55 PM
All three career losers.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2013, 09:02 PM
If Romo played for the Cardinals or Titans or Jaguars or something like that, nobody would really give a shit about him or hear about him being a choker. The Cowboys hype is what blows him up.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
No argument from me that the Cowboys aren't a good team, they have good players but need better coaching and a real GM. But Romo is a choker and until he wins he will always have that label.
Yep, that's the same blind ignorance I saw with LeBron for so many years (and still do for the real haters). Winning isn't based on how good your QB is, it's based on how good your team is. And the Cowboys, of course, have been bad for a long time (and will likely continue to be as long as Jones is running the team). Talk all you want about interceptions (funny how the "clutch" Brady is right there with him on the same list), but the fact is that Romo is a top 10 QB in the NFL whose mere presence is keeping that team at .500.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 09:34 PM
If that's true, at this point he may want to "play it up" a bit. To most of us he looks like he's just happy to pull a fat paycheck.
So you'd prefer him be fake than be real is what you're saying. Just to play it up for the cameras. What is that supposed to prove? It's certainly not going to make him a better QB.

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Yep, that's the same blind ignorance I saw with LeBron for so many years (and still do for the real haters). Winning isn't based on how good your QB is, it's based on how good your team is. And the Cowboys, of course, have been bad for a long time (and will likely continue to be as long as Jones is running the team). Talk all you want about interceptions (funny how the "clutch" Brady is right there with him on the same list), but the fact is that Romo is a top 10 QB in the NFL whose mere presence is keeping that team at .500.

Umm no. In order to win in today's NFL you have to have a very good to elite QB. That is why I don't think the Chiefs will win anything with AS and I damn well know that Romo will never win anything because he will make a stupid play at the end of the game.

And he is not a Top 10 QB, maybe Top 15-20 if that.

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
So you'd prefer him be fake than be real is what you're saying. Just to play it up for the cameras. What is that supposed to prove? It's certainly not going to make him a better QB.

No, I wish he'd do it for real. I wish Alex would do it for real. I'd like our WRs to get into Alex's face for some of the shit throws he's made.

As much as I hate Ray Lewis, I certainly like the passion he brought to the game. Something I think is largely missing from this team - at least not until it's too late.

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 09:50 PM
QB's that would take over Romo in no particular order:

1. Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Eli Manning
4. Rivers
5. Flacco
6. Brees
7. Rodgers
8. Big Ben
9. Flacco
10. Matt Ryan
11. Andrew Luck
12. Russell Wilson
13. Kapernick
14. Dalton
15. Stafford
16. Cam Newton

scho63
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Romoceptions are so special!

GloryDayz
12-15-2013, 09:57 PM

1. Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Eli Manning
4. Rivers
5. Flacco
6. Brees
7. Rodgers
8. Big Ben
9. Flacco
10. Matt Ryan
11. Andrew Luck
12. Russell Wilson
13. Kapernick
14. Dalton
15. Stafford
16. Cam Newton

and your Avi's tits too....

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Umm no. In order to win in today's NFL you have to have a very good to elite QB.
If winning a Super Bowl was all about how good your QB was, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers would have won every title over the last decade and a half and guys like Trent Dilfer would never have sniffed one. There's more to winning than good quarterback play as the Cowboys have shown for years (and as the Dolphins showed for so many years under Marino).

That is why I don't think the Chiefs will win anything with AS and I damn well know that Romo will never win anything because he will make a stupid play at the end of the game.
Selective memory. He does it really no more often than any other starting QB. In fact, the stats show him to be better in close and late situations than most other QBs in this league.

And he is not a Top 10 QB, maybe Top 15-20 if that.
If you seriously believe that, you either have no idea how to evaluate QBs or just have completely overestimated just how many good QBs there are in this league. Likely both if you're making ridiculous claims like that.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 10:30 PM

1. Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Eli Manning
4. Rivers
5. Flacco
6. Brees
7. Rodgers
8. Big Ben
9. Flacco
10. Matt Ryan
11. Andrew Luck
12. Russell Wilson
13. Kapernick
14. Dalton
15. Stafford
16. Cam Newton

If you believe a scrub like Andy Dalton is better than a guy with a top 5 passer rating of all time, there's really no point in continuing this discussion. There's making a reasonable counter argument and then there isn't.

I do, however, find it funny that Rivers is on that list of yours considering all the same criticisms about Romo have been made about him (and they're all just as applicable now as ever).

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 10:30 PM
LMAO man Connection, are you and Tony facebook buddies or something?

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 10:39 PM
LMAO man Connection, are you and Tony facebook buddies or something?
Ha, I remember when some here said something similar about me and LeBron 3 years ago when I actually had to argue that he was the best player in the NBA. No, I'm just choosing reason and good sense with this, not bowing down to the oversimplified media narratives.

GoChargers
12-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Romo is a loser, it's practically ingrained in his DNA at this point. Yes, the owner sucks, the coaches suck, and the defense sucks, but they aren't throwing all those picks for him.

GOB
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM

What happens however when your team sucks because you've overpaid for guys like Romo ? Then it's fair to blame Romo right?

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 11:07 PM
If winning a Super Bowl was all about how good your QB was, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers would have won every title over the last decade and a half and guys like Trent Dilfer would never have sniffed one. There's more to winning than good quarterback play as the Cowboys have shown for years (and as the Dolphins showed for so many years under Marino).

Selective memory. He does it really no more often than any other starting QB. In fact, the stats show him to be better in close and late situations than most other QBs in this league.

If you seriously believe that, you either have no idea how to evaluate QBs or just have completely overestimated just how many good QBs there are in this league. Likely both if you're making ridiculous claims like that.

What? Go back and look at the SB winning QB's over the last 10 years. The game has changed dramatically from 10 years ago, it is an offense driven league now.

2003 - Brad Johnson (last game managing QB to win)

2004-2013 - Brady(2), Big Ben (2), Peyton(1), Eli (2), Rodgers (1), and Brees (1), Flacco (1)

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 11:17 PM
If you believe a scrub like Andy Dalton is better than a guy with a top 5 passer rating of all time, there's really no point in continuing this discussion. There's making a reasonable counter argument and then there isn't.

I do, however, find it funny that Rivers is on that list of yours considering all the same criticisms about Romo have been made about him (and they're all just as applicable now as ever).

Fine I would probably take Romo over Dalton but that is about it. Out of the list above who would you take take Romo over?

Rivers is 3-4 in the playoffs which is miles ahead of Romo.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:18 PM
What? Go back and look at the SB winning QB's over the last 10 years. The game has changed dramatically from 10 years ago, it is an offense driven league now.

Wouldn't that be all the more reason to keep one of the better statistical offensive QBs in the league around? Putting points on the board has never been a problem for Dallas, it's been that brutal defense.

2004-2013 - Brady(2), Big Ben (2), Peyton(1), Eli (2), Rodgers (1), and Brees (1), Flacco (1)
One could argue that both Eli and Flacco are game managers that simply went on playoff hot streaks. While most of those teams also had elite defenses backing them and all were certainly far more well-rounded than any Cowboys team since Romo took Bledsoe's job.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Fine I would probably take Romo over Dalton but that is about it. Out of the list above who would you take take Romo over? Also let's remember Romo is 33 years old, he has maybe 2-3 years left if that.

Age has nothing to do with judging them as QBs right now. If you were asking me which QBs I would want to build a franchise around, certainly guys like Luck, Kaepernick, and Newton would be ahead of him. Today, though, Romo is clearly more of an effective quarterback than those guys

I'd probably rank Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Ben, and Wilson ahead of Romo. Maybe Flacco. The rest (Luck, Kaepernick, Newton, and especially Eli) are a step behind for now. Dalton obviously shouldn't even be in the conversation, I might even take Smith over him. In sum, that puts Romo around the top 10 in the league (give or take a few guys) and it's really not all that arguable.

Rivers is 3-4 in the playoffs which is miles ahead of Romo.
Everything to do with the fact that Rivers has played on some greater Chargers teams (in comparison to Romo's mediocre Dallas teams). The fact that Rivers is only 3-4 with such teams is more underwhelming than anything Romo has done.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:29 PM
What happens however when your team sucks because you've overpaid for guys like Romo ? Then it's fair to blame Romo right?
Actually, that would probably make it more fair to blame Jerry Jones, not the guy taking the money. Although, as I've said, without Romo, the Cowboys are one of the worst teams in the league.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Romo is a loser, it's practically ingrained in his DNA at this point. Yes, the owner sucks, the coaches suck, and the defense sucks, but they aren't throwing all those picks for him.
9 picks in 14 games? The same amount as Philip Rivers (with 1 more TD)?

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to keep one of the better statistical offensive QBs in the league around? Putting points on the board has never been a problem for Dallas, it's been that brutal defense.

One could argue that both Eli and Flacco are game managers that simply went on playoff hot streaks. While most of those teams also had elite defenses backing them and all were certainly far more well-rounded than any Cowboys team since Romo took Bledsoe's job.

Sure if he wasn't such a choker.

One could argue that but they put up a good numbers in the regular season as well. Flacco threw for 3800 yds last year and 24 TD's.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Sure if he wasn't such a choker.
Selective memory. People would be calling Peyton Manning a choker too if he didn't have that one ring, it doesn't make him not good at what he does.

One could argue that but they put up a good numbers in the regular season as well. Flacco threw for 3800 yds last year and 24 TD's.
They've done so occasionally, but not consistently. Clearly not on the level of the others.

Gadzooks
12-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Everything to do with the fact that Rivers has played on some greater Chargers teams (in comparison to Romo's mediocre Dallas teams). The fact that Rivers is only 3-4 with such teams is more underwhelming than anything Romo has done.
Nate Kaeding missed 3 fuckin field goals against the Jets in the 2010 playoffs. That's Rivers fault?!?
That means Marino sucks too. Wait, He didn't even have a kicker fuck his career. Take away his yellow jacket and melt down the bust in the HOF.

dirk digler
12-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Age has nothing to do with judging them as QBs right now. If you were asking me which QBs I would want to build a franchise around, certainly guys like Luck, Kaepernick, and Newton would be ahead of him. Today, though, Romo is clearly more of an effective quarterback than those guys

I'd probably rank Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Ben, and Wilson ahead of Romo. Maybe Flacco. The rest (Luck, Kaepernick, Newton, and especially Eli) are a step behind for now. Dalton obviously shouldn't even be in the conversation, I might even take Smith over him. In sum, that puts Romo around the top 10 in the league (give or take a few guys) and it's really not all that arguable.

Selective memory. People would be calling Peyton Manning a choker too if he didn't have that one ring, it doesn't make him not good at what he does.

They've done so occasionally, but not consistently. Clearly not on the level of the others.
Outside of Dalton I will stand by my list. I would take all of the QB's ahead of Romo. I would even bet that if Andy Reid was HC and Smith was the QB of the Cowboys they would be a 10-12 win team this year.

I think you are the one with selective memory. It all starts with him costing his team a possilble playoff victory against Seattle by fucking up the PAT hold and it has been down hill for him since. You need to go back and look at some of those Dallas teams, like in 2007 when they were 13-3 and lost in the divisonal round because Romo had a shitty game and tossed the game losing INT in the end zone. Or in 2009 when he finally won a playoff game then turned around and shit the bed and lost to the Vikings 34-3. Those were very good teams all ranked in the Top 10 in both offense and defense.

You must not be around here much talking football because everybody still calls Manning a choker. Especially last year against the Ravens in the playoffs, you could see it coming from a mile away.

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Outside of Dalton I will stand by my list. I would take all of the QB's ahead of Romo. I would even bet that if Andy Reid was HC and Smith was the QB of the Cowboys they would be a 10-12 win team this year.

Unless Andy Reid had some kind of plan that turned the Cowboys' league worst defense into a half decent one, there's not a chance in the world that would be the case. They'd be looking at 4-5 wins at best.

I think you are the one with selective memory. It all starts with him costing his team a possilble playoff victory against Seattle by ****ing up the PAT hold and it has been down hill for him since.

No, I'm not using my memory. I'm looking at facts and statistics. Though I will say that ****ing up a PAT doesn't really tell me much of anything about his QB ability.

You need to go back and look at some of those Dallas teams, like in 2007 when they were 13-3 and lost in the divisonal round because Romo had a shitty game and tossed the game losing INT in the end zone. Or in 2009 when he finally won a playoff game then turned around and shit the bed and lost to the Vikings 34-3. Those were very good teams all ranked in the Top 10 in both offense and defense.

2007 is the only game you can say there that the Cowboys lost to a worse team (the Giants). But the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that year, so how much shit can you really give them for that? In 2009, they beat the Eagles in the WC round and then got beat down by a far superior Vikings team in the next round. No surprise there. We're looking at a pretty insignificant sample size in any case, but the Cowboys have never been a particularly good team since Romo began. There has never been any reason to expect they would have real playoff success (and that has very little to do with QB play).

You must not be around here much talking football because everybody still calls Manning a choker.

Everybody around here does because Chiefs fans hate Manning (both because he owned us as a Colt and now because he owns us a Bronco). The general public doesn't, though, and that's primarily because he has won a team championship. That's the difference. If you get one (for whatever the reason...generally it's because your team is elite), it doesn't matter how poorly you are in the clutch after it, you're set for life.

Especially last year against the Ravens in the playoffs, you could see it coming from a mile away.
You could see Peyton Manning getting 35 points Ravens' defense and then Joe Flacco throwing up a fluke Hail Mary to win a mile way? Somehow I doubt it.

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Nate Kaeding missed 3 ****in field goals against the Jets in the 2010 playoffs. That's Rivers fault?!?
That means Marino sucks too. Wait, He didn't even have a kicker **** his career. Take away his yellow jacket and melt down the bust in the HOF.
I didn't say it was Rivers or Marino's fault. It's their teams' fault. And that's the point.

GoChargers
12-16-2013, 12:36 AM
9 picks in 14 games? The same amount as Philip Rivers (with 1 more TD)?

It's all about the timing, really. In a big December/January game with the season on the line, Romo can pretty much always be counted on to throw the game-losing pick at the end of the game.

Rivers was that way last year, but there was a time when he could be counted on to pull out a few 4th-quarter comebacks every season. Hell, he's had clutch performances against the Eagles, Cowboys, and Chiefs this year.

Aside from last year, if I needed to choose a quarterback to win a must-win game for my team, I would feel far safer with Rivers than with Romo, and I'd suspect most people would agree with me.

GoChargers
12-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Everybody around here does because Chiefs fans hate Manning (both because he owned us as a Colt and now because he owns us a Bronco). The general public doesn't, though, and that's primarily because he has won a team championship. That's the difference. If you get one (for whatever the reason...generally it's because your team is elite), it doesn't matter how poorly you are in the clutch after it, you're set for life.
No, most people still view Fivehead as a choker. All the one-and-done playoff meltdowns have pretty much cemented that reputation, and his championship run - during which he threw for only 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, was carried by his defense, and got to play one of the biggest cupcake opponents in Super Bowl history - did little to change it.

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 12:59 AM
No, most people still view Fivehead as a choker. All the one-and-done playoff meltdowns have pretty much cemented that reputation, and his championship run - during which he threw for only 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, was carried by his defense, and got to play one of the biggest cupcake opponents in Super Bowl history - did little to change it.
I disagree. He's held up far closer by the media as a GOAT candidate than any kind of choker in the same realm of Romo or Rivers. The ring helps huge with that.

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Aside from last year, if I needed to choose a quarterback to win a must-win game for my team, I would feel far safer with Rivers than with Romo, and I'd suspect most people would agree with me.
I would probably say the same, but that's because I think Rivers is a better QB overall, not because he's any more or less of a supposed choker than him.

tk13
12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Yeah but Manning is still considered kind of behind Brady... which is why Hootie would melt down on the regular. He's not considered a great playoff QB. I don't think that's just Chief fan bias. If not for us his record would look a lot worse. He's had some struggles in the playoffs... and threw a backbreaking INT in a Super Bowl. The reason he's held up so high is because of how much control he takes over the offense.

And if you really look closely... Manning didn't even play that well the postseason he won it all. He's been one and done 8 times.

tk13
12-16-2013, 01:59 AM
It is interesting how Jerry Jones talks to the media every week after the game. He's always on SportsCenter, especially after a loss. How many other owners and GMs do that?

That really can't help Romo either... the team is always such a circus.

GloryDayz
12-16-2013, 07:43 AM
And I think we heard the undertones of JJ that change is on its way. Perhaps not today (to a large extent that's his ego IMO), but the end of the year in Dallas might prove to be very interesting.

Meh, we'll see...

whoman69
12-16-2013, 08:30 AM
If Romo had some playoff success he would probably be headed to the HOF. He's 6th in career passing rating. What that doesn't tell is his usual implosion. Every mistake he is made is magnified by the fact that he always has tons of talent around him, but the club has huge holes. He'll be best remembered for the dropped FG attempt in the playoffs. He has issues that are made greater by the fact the organization enables his issues.

Rivers had a period of time where he was among the top 5 QBs in the league. Since then he showed that he could be very weak mentally.

Cutler never made the playoffs in Denver and cried his way out of town. Since he has not exactly been bowling them over. Part of it was the scheme where they couldn't protect him. He's been fragile. The image of him going to the bench in the championship game didn't help.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Great blurb from Barnwell at Grantland this morning:

Ask yourself this: When was the last time Romo's defense bailed him out? I can think of a whole bunch of times when Romo bailed out his defense. Like the two-minute drill against the Vikings a few weeks ago after his defense blew a fourth-quarter lead. Or last year, when Romo led two touchdown drives in the final four minutes to tie up the game against the Saints. Or the 10-point, fourth-quarter comeback against the Bengals two weeks earlier. Where are the games when Dallas's defense comes up with a big play late to seal — let alone create — a victory?* You're not wrong to pin some of the blame on Romo. But, again, if we're going to talk about what's going wrong with the Dallas Cowboys, it seems wrong to blame the side that scored 36 points far more than the one that allowed 37.

*I see all of one: In 2012, Romo tied a game in the fourth quarter with a touchdown drive and the defense picked off Ben Roethlisberger on the first drive of overtime to set up a game-winning field goal. That's the only one I can find.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10145592/bill-barnwell-week-15-nfl

loochy
12-16-2013, 09:35 AM
but they aren't throwing all those picks for him.

And romo didn't allow a backup quarterback to repeatedly march down the filed and score touchdowns.

Mecca
12-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Eli and Flacco got hot and won bowls but if you look at their careers they're largely very average QB's.

Eli Manning has a ton of hype for having a pretty average career and he's had some really terrible performances.

loochy
12-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Eli Manning has a ton of hype for having a pretty average career and he's had some really terrible performances.

Yeah, wtf happened this year man? :doh!:

dirk digler
12-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Unless Andy Reid had some kind of plan that turned the Cowboys' league worst defense into a half decent one, there's not a chance in the world that would be the case. They'd be looking at 4-5 wins at best.

No, I'm not using my memory. I'm looking at facts and statistics. Though I will say that ****ing up a PAT doesn't really tell me much of anything about his QB ability.

2007 is the only game you can say there that the Cowboys lost to a worse team (the Giants). But the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that year, so how much shit can you really give them for that? In 2009, they beat the Eagles in the WC round and then got beat down by a far superior Vikings team in the next round. No surprise there. We're looking at a pretty insignificant sample size in any case, but the Cowboys have never been a particularly good team since Romo began. There has never been any reason to expect they would have real playoff success (and that has very little to do with QB play).

You could see Peyton Manning getting 35 points Ravens' defense and then Joe Flacco throwing up a fluke Hail Mary to win a mile way? Somehow I doubt it.

The Chiefs were 20th or so in D last year and 2-14. They are now 22nd and 11-3, the 9-0 start was all fueled by the D. A good coach changes everything. AS would have never thrown those 2 INT's late in the 4th quarter and I don't even like AS that much.

Their lack of playoff success is mostly about the QB play. I would add that he hasn't had the best head coaches in the world and Jerry should fire himself. But he has been the QB for 8 years now, made the playoffs only 3 times. Look at the Saints, Brees has been the starter for 8 years as well, been to the playoffs 4 times, won a SB all the while their D was ranked in the mid 20's. Hell the year they won the SB their D was ranked 25th. Rodgers is the same way. Great QB's win big games even when their team is not elite in all areas. Romo can put all these nice numbers but when it comes down to that big moment he chokes it away. It has happened time and time again. This isn't something that is shocking to anyone.

You seem to forget Manning was given the choker\can't win the big game label in college when he would put up gaudy stats then win the big game comes along he disappears.

What I was talking about was when the score was tied late in the game you knew Manning was going to throw an INT. Go back and read the game thread I am sure people were saying that right before and after the INT. It wasn't a shock to anybody.

Mecca
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah, wtf happened this year man? :doh!:

He's basically a playaction QB and this year he has no run game and his line is pretty blah and now he's back to forcing the ball because he doesn't wanna get hit. He does have a couple of nice receivers but at the end of the day if he doesn't have a good defense and the line and run game to let him playaction and stand there he's gonna struggle.

In the end Eli Manning isn't gonna put a team on his back he needs a lot of pieces to look good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Dallas' lack of success stems from Jerry Jones being a horrible evaluator of talent and Bill Parcells not being much of one either.

Jones falls in love with inferior players for foolish reasons (Felix Jones, that dipshit center they drafted this year, countless others), and it routinely bites him in the ass.

Halfcan
12-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Eli with 5 interceptions- what a bad year-epic considering he is making 20 mil this year.

Romo- once again coughs up a game. Dallas is stuck with him for awhile though.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Cutler doesn't even belong in the same sentence as the other two.

Dylan
12-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Eli is a game manager - LOL

What can't Eli do - Win a championship game?

Do you know whom he had to beat to get there?

Do you know how many big plays Eli has made in his career?

How many big hits has he taken without getting hurt?

Before this year, Eli has ranked #1 in clutch quarterbacks in the past decade.

You do know that the Giants do not have a running game this year or an offensive line - None.

How was Tom Brady last night without Gronk?

You do not have an offensive line in the NFL you lose.

Yeah, Eli is a game manager all right.

F joke!

dirk digler
12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
You tell him Dylan

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Eli's play is increasingly indicative of a game manager type who is miscast in the role of franchise QB.

Dylan
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Eli's play is increasingly indicative of a game manager type who is miscast in the role of franchise QB.

To your point - "Miscast" is obviously an oversimplification.

It is hard to believe that an NFL team who is looking to win a Super Bowl, would kick Eli off their team.

ModSocks
12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Two Superbowl wins....

Meh...game manager

LMAO

The more i read CP the more i realize that there have only ever been two franchise QB's in the history of the NFL.

P.Manning and Brady.

The rest? Meh. Game Managers.

Mile High Mania
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't see either of the 3 carrying a team to greatness... Rivers might be the exception, but barring the early career success, he hasn't done anything lately. He might have a shot if the team improves.

Cutler and Romo... I don't see either of them doing anything ever.

tecumseh
12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I'd go with Rivers. He's seemed to do better when a free reign. Romo is just the opposite, IMO. Cutler is is streaky china. And Cutler is a diva.

tecumseh
12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Given a free reign.

dirk digler

If Eli is a game manager we are going to have to redefine what a game manager is. He averages 3500 yds, 22 TD's and 16 INT's a season.

Mile High Mania
I'd go with Rivers. He's seemed to do better when a free reign. Romo is just the opposite, IMO. Cutler is is streaky china. And Cutler is a diva.

I think SD and Rivers has responded well to the coaching change... and he seems to be working well with Frank Reich, I believe that's who he has right now working with him.

Mile High Mania
12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
If Eli is a game manager we are going to have to redefine what a game manager is. He averages 3500 yds, 22 TD's and 16 INT's a season.

Eli is NOT a game manager... he's not ELITE, but he's not average.

ThaVirus
12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Eli's a gunslinger.

.. And he pretty much lucked ass backwards into those Super Bowls.

Fuck that guy.

dirk digler
12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Eli is NOT a game manager... he's not ELITE, but he's not average.

Totally agree. Also he is alot better than Romo

Easy 6
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
If Eli had Romo's athletic ability and arm he'd be HOF quality.

On a related note, KC Connection must've said some form of "i'm not letting the national media dictate my opinion of Romo and neither should you".

What he doesn't understand is that i don't need them to tell me about him, the national media makes sure i get to watch way more of his games than i want to... and what i consistently see, more than any other starting QB is that, when it counts, he's the worst decision maker in the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Those are not good numbers in this league. A franchise QB should be able to clear 4000 yards and 25 TDs with little difficulty in this offensive environment.

Eli turns into a pick machine every other year, and that can't be discounted.

Marcellus
12-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Alex is on pace to beat all those numbers.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Those are not good numbers in this league. A franchise QB should be able to clear 4000 yards and 25 TDs with little difficulty in this offensive environment.

Typo?

I'm assuming you meant 35.

Half of the starting QB's in the league will throw 25, give or a take a few.

O.city
12-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Typo?

I'm assuming you meant 35.

Half of the starting QB's in the league will throw 25, give or a take a few.

I dunno about that. I think thats where you're elite guys will be.

dirk digler
12-16-2013, 04:44 PM

True but that is throughout his career, he had a couple of lean years early on. The last 5 years he is averaging 4062 yds, 26 TD's and 19 INT's. With the exception of INT's clearly in your franchise QB range

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Great blurb from Barnwell at Grantland this morning:

Ask yourself this: When was the last time Romo's defense bailed him out? I can think of a whole bunch of times when Romo bailed out his defense. Like the two-minute drill against the Vikings a few weeks ago after his defense blew a fourth-quarter lead. Or last year, when Romo led two touchdown drives in the final four minutes to tie up the game against the Saints. Or the 10-point, fourth-quarter comeback against the Bengals two weeks earlier. Where are the games when Dallas's defense comes up with a big play late to seal — let alone create — a victory?* You're not wrong to pin some of the blame on Romo. But, again, if we're going to talk about what's going wrong with the Dallas Cowboys, it seems wrong to blame the side that scored 36 points far more than the one that allowed 37.

*I see all of one: In 2012, Romo tied a game in the fourth quarter with a touchdown drive and the defense picked off Ben Roethlisberger on the first drive of overtime to set up a game-winning field goal. That's the only one I can find.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10145592/bill-barnwell-week-15-nfl
Yes, Romo is the front man (him and JJ) for the joke that is the Dallas Cowboys organization so he takes all the shit from the media. In reality, though, Romo's the least of their problems.

BIG_DADDY
12-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Rivers is better than any those and ours as well.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I dunno about that. I think thats where you're elite guys will be.

Check the stats.

14 guys already have 21+ with two games to play. Flacco has 18 with three games to play.

25 is not a difficult number to reach in this era.

O.city
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Check the stats.

14 guys already have 21+ with two games to play. Flacco has 18 with three games to play.

25 is not a difficult number to reach in this era.

I was talking about 35 plus like you said in your first post.

KC_Connection
12-16-2013, 05:09 PM
The Chiefs were 20th or so in D last year and 2-14. They are now 22nd and 11-3, the 9-0 start was all fueled by the D. A good coach changes everything. AS would have never thrown those 2 INT's late in the 4th quarter and I don't even like AS that much.

Sure, I can accept that. Reid would probably make some kind of tangible difference there, as would a better DC. But we're still talking about what very well may be the worst defense in the NFL. They're not going to be a playoff team unless the personnel changes in that area.

Their lack of playoff success is mostly about the QB play.

It isn't, though. They've only made the playoffs on 3 occasions as it is under Romo and only one of those times was their team even particularly good at all (and that was when they actually had a defense to go with their offense in 2009). He's actually played OK in his 4 playoff games too, the Cowboys have just been beat by better teams than them.

But he has been the QB for 8 years now, made the playoffs only 3 times. Look at the Saints, Brees has been the starter for 8 years as well, been to the playoffs 4 times, won a SB all the while their D was ranked in the mid 20's. Hell the year they won the SB their D was ranked 25th. Rodgers is the same way. Great QB's win big games even when their team is not elite in all areas. Romo can put all these nice numbers but when it comes down to that big moment he chokes it away. It has happened time and time again. This isn't something that is shocking to anyone.

2006: 4th in points scored, 20th in points allowed.
2007: 2nd in points scored, 13th in points allowed.
2008: 18th in points scored, 20th in points allowed
2009: 14th in points scored, 2nd in points allowed.
2010: 7th in points scored, 32nd in points allowed.
2011: 15th in points scored, 16th in points allowed.
2012: 15th in points scored, 24th in points allowed.
2013: 4th in points scored, 26th in points allowed.

Just take a look at that. Take a look at how much they've relied on their offense (and good QB play) just to stay mediocre in this league. Anybody who pins the Cowboys' failures (and lack of playoff success) on Romo and his offense really has no idea what they're talking about. Despite the endless hype, the team itself is just not that good and never has been. That mostly goes on their bad defense, not the few times that you selectively remember Romo throwing an interception in a close game.