PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz:Chiefs’ Reid stays up late to study the Raiders

Tribal Warfare
10-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Chiefs’ Reid stays up late to study the Raiders (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/07/4538275/chiefs-reid-stays-up-late-to-study.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Chiefs coach Andy Reid couldn’t resist. A few hours after Reid arrived home from the Chiefs’ win at Tennessee, he grabbed the remote control for a late, late night of television viewing.

Reid tuned in to the Oakland-San Diego game that didn’t begin until 10:35 p.m. Sunday and got an early jump on preparations for his first look at the Raiders.

“I did a peek at it,” Reid said of the Raiders, who beat San Diego 27-17, and will come to Arrowhead Stadium for a noon game this Sunday, the unbeaten Chiefs’ first matchup against an AFC West team this season.

“It’s Raiders week, and I’m all about rivalries. It’s exciting. I know our fans are going to be completely crazy. I’ve got it. Our players will be fired up, too.”

The Chiefs-Raiders’ rivalry isn’t what it was during the Len Dawson-George Blanda era or Marty Schottenheimer’s dominance of the series in the 1990s.

But don’t tell Reid, a newcomer to the AFC West after spending 14 years in Philadelphia battling NFC East rivals Washington, Dallas and the New York Giants. It may be no accident that three of the Chiefs’ five victories have come against NFC East teams Reid knew so well.

“These types of rivalries are special in the National Football League,” Reid said. “It gets your juices flowing, and gets ’em flowing early. Black and silver … if anybody is wearing it, be careful.

“You know when you’re playing a rival … and it’s an AFC West team. That’s very important, too. Not that they all aren’t. Those become very important games. The fellas realize it.”

Despite their 5-0 mark, the Chiefs are locked in a tie for first in the AFC West with Denver, and they’ll need to beat Oakland to keep pace with the high-scoring Broncos.

While the Chiefs are playing Oakland in the first of three consecutive home games, the Broncos will be host to hapless and winless Jacksonville and are favored by 26 1/2 points in one of biggest point spreads in NFL history.

The Broncos’ 51-48 win at Dallas on Sunday extended a franchise record of 16 consecutive regular-season victories dating to last season, and set a club mark with eight straight road wins.

Quarterback Peyton Manning’s four touchdown passes against the Cowboys gave him 20 this season, setting an NFL mark for most through a season’s first give games. He also passed Milt Plum’s 53-year-old league record for most touchdown passes without an interception before Manning was picked off late in the third quarter. That ended Manning’s streak of passes without an interception at a career-best 226 attempts.

The Broncos’ 29th-ranked defense (32nd against the pass) should improve when outside linebacker Von Miller returns after serving a six-game suspension.

And there’s this: Of the five times the Broncos have started 6-0 in their history, they reached the Super Bowl four times. The only exception was 2009, when they lost eight of their last 10 games under then-coach Josh McDaniels and missed the playoffs at 8-8.

Meanwhile, Oakland, 2-3, and San Diego, 2-3, would need total collapses by the Chiefs and Broncos to work their way into contention in the AFC.

The Chargers are searching for an identity with new coach Mike McCoy, and turnovers have been a problem. San Diego turned the ball over five times in its loss to Oakland, and while quarterback Philip Rivers’ 13 touchdown passes rank second in the AFC to Manning, Rivers has thrown five interceptions — including three at Oakland.

The Raiders, under second-year coach Dennis Allen, have settled on third-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor as their starter. Pryor played brilliantly against San Diego — completing 18 of 23 passes for 221 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions — and the Raiders released veteran Matt Flynn on Monday, leaving them with two rookies behind Pryor.

Before facing Oakland, the Chiefs need to shore up some of their offensive shortcomings, Reid said, especially in the red zone and on third down.

The Chiefs scored just one touchdown in four opportunities inside the 20 against Tennessee and converted just one third down in 12 chances.

Of those third downs, five were 10 yards or more — including a third-and-25 — because of penalties. The only third down the Chiefs converted was on an 11-yard pass from Alex Smith to Jamaal Charles.

“You can’t make a living doing that,” Reid said of the third-down inefficiency. “You’ve got to shorten the third-down yardage-wise, too. We start hitting those third and kazillion … that you don’t have a lot of calls for those particular spots. You’ve got to keep your third downs more manageable, and I’ve got to do a better job making sure I get these guys in the right position and call the right plays for them.”

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Sweet man.

Discuss Thrower
10-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Dirt roll.

10-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Outstanding to finally have a coach that gives a shit about rivalries again!!!!!

ViperVisor
10-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Woodson is gonna try and make plays.

Double moves need to be deployed on him.

72.5% is what OAK has allowed to be completed. Manning is part of that.

But OAK is a wildcard sort of team. You want to get ahead early and force them into the the tough spot of behind on the road.

Let them hang around and they are capable with Pryor. Look at the nonsense Fitzpatrick pulled.

Clean up the stupid drive stalling penalties and come correct at the start.

Don't try and coast to a W based on 5-0 vs 2-3 + you got the emotion of a home game vs. a division rival.

dannybcaitlyn
10-08-2013, 06:27 AM
He probably dozed off in the recliner with a bag of Cheetos. But yeah, I'm glad he is starting early with the RAIDAZZ!!

Dayze
10-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I mean, Boom

buddha
10-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Smartest coach in the business.

BlackHelicopters
10-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Curb stomp.

CaliforniaChief
10-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm confident we won't sleepwalk into this game. Reid understands what this means, not just for the season but also for the fans.

lcarus
10-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Never cared about other teams coaches, but for whatever reason always liked Andy a lot with Philly. He's the perfect fit for this team and organization. Good on Clark for nabbing him and cutting out all the cancer from the past.

Phobia
10-08-2013, 09:00 AM
"I peeked at it" = "Reid stays up late to study Raiders", I guess. Okay Covitz.

Ace Gunner
10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
this is going to be a blowout.

lcarus
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
"I peeked at it" = "Reid stays up late to study Raiders", I guess. Okay Covitz.

Haha, yeah that's what I was thinking. I call it desperation journalism.

Phobia
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Haha, yeah that's what I was thinking. I call it desperation journalism.

If I were a coach with access to real game film, I would never watch network TV telecasts.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I didn't know where it post this but it's our next opponent...

@taniaganguli: Owen Daniels' injury is a non-displaced fibula fracture. That is likely to keep him out 4-6 weeks. Tough blow for #Texans.

Halfcan
10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Outstanding to finally have a coach that gives a shit about rivalries again!!!!!

;) I will be there yelling my head off-lol Can't wait for this game!!

Mr. Laz
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
dam running Quarterbacks

Offense needs to get going

jdubya
10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
this is going to be a blowout.

I don`t put Alex Smith and "blowout" together. Living in the Bay Area I`ve watched most of his career with SF and he seems most successful at doing just enough to win. I can`t recall any of his "blowouts" but who knows?

Fat Elvis
10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
...third and kazillion....

LMAO

How can you not like Andy Reid?

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 01:32 PM
If I were a coach with access to real game film, I would never watch network TV telecasts.

Everyone has access to real game film these days.

You can watch the entire game in All 22 and in end zone camera in HD.

http://i.imgur.com/wieS7am.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Epp6JuK.jpg

J Diddy
10-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I was going to make a thread that said I was up late masturbating. However, I was not and didn't want to lie.

J Diddy
10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
I don`t put Alex Smith and "blowout" together. Living in the Bay Area I`ve watched most of his career with SF and he seems most successful at doing just enough to win. I can`t recall any of his "blowouts" but who knows?

I would call a 31-7 victory as a blowout as well as 28-2.

Rausch
10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Everyone has access to real game film these days.

You can watch the entire game in All 22 and in end zone camera in HD.

Is there somewhere you have to subscribe to (pay) or do you just have to know where to look?...

Rausch
10-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Our offense needs to consistently score more than 10 pts a game...

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Is there somewhere you have to subscribe to (pay) or do you just have to know where to look?...

NFL Game Rewind.

Dayze
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
NFL Game Rewind.

:hmmm:

Easy 6
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Andy Reid, man i love that fat bastard.

He's had laser-like focus since Clark pulled into the parking lot with him, you can see it when he speaks, he's made himself right at home and looks very comfortable.

He apparently left all of his baggage in philly.

lcarus
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Andy Reid, man i love that fat bastard.

He's had laser-like focus since Clark pulled into the parking lot with him, you can see it when he speaks, he's made himself right at home and looks very comfortable.

He apparently left all of his baggage in philly.

Whatever it takes for that juicy KC bbq. Whatever it takes.

kepp
10-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I was going to make a thread that said I was up late masturbating. However, I was not and didn't want to lie.

So you just peeked at it?

Marcellus
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Our offense needs to consistently score more than 10 pts a game...

How much you figuring they are scoring?

They are 11th in offensive scoring and 9th in total points.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
How much you figuring they are scoring?

They are 11th in offensive scoring and 9th in total points.

Haha that is a lie.

They are averaging 20 offensive points per game. That's 22nd.

And that's about where our QB play is, too.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 03:11 PM
This team has scored twice on defense and twice on special teams. In FIVE games.

We are so freakin' lucky.

warrior
10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Haha that is a lie.

HA hA thats a lie to I just looked it up care to post real stats

Marcellus
10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Haha that is a lie.

Actually both of those are lie.

We have scored as many or more offensive TD's than 16 other teams so no way we are 22nd in scoring offense.

Smith is not the 22nd rated passer either.

warrior
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM

We have scored as many or more offensive TD's than 16 other teams so no way we are 22nd in scoring offense.

25.6 PTS and 15th PR

loochy
10-08-2013, 03:34 PM
NFL Game Rewind.

Man, that's EXACTLY what I've been wanting. I hate the zoomed in, cramped view they show on TV. I can't see the whole play unfold properly.

It's too bad that they won't broadcast this live.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 03:35 PM

:facepalm:

The offense is averaging 20 points a game. That's pitiful.

I don't have time to go through all these teams and see how many offensive points they've scored, but since most teams haven't scored 4 freakin non-offensive TDs at this point, it's a safe bet the offense is somewhere around 20th in OPPG right now.

Alex is the 18th rated passer.

Stop splitting hairs. The offense lacks point production.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
We are 18th in offensive points per game. 0.8 points ahead of Geno's badass Jets.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-points-per-game

You want to stop this game now?

ReynardMuldrake
10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Andy is the perfect fit for this team. I don't think you could ask for a better coach.

Ace Gunner
10-08-2013, 03:50 PM

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/mind-blown-18-1.gif

Marcellus
10-08-2013, 05:42 PM
We are 18th in offensive points per game. 0.8 points ahead of Geno's badass Jets.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-points-per-game

You want to stop this game now?

So you admit you were wrong?

Hammock Parties
10-08-2013, 05:47 PM
So you admit you were wrong?

No, I was right.

You lied. We are not close to 11th.