PDA

View Full Version : News Indian Group Suggests Chief Wahoo is Racist!

gblowfish
10-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Actually, I think the "New York Jews" hat is kinda cool. I'd like to have one. Maybe as a Christmas...errr...Hanukkah present???

http://gamedayr.com/sports/mlb/american-indian-graphic-sports-logo-racism/

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I will only buy the NY Jews hat if I can talk them down on the price.

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
There's no way KC keeps its mascot if the momentum forces DC and Cleveland to change theirs.

vailpass
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
They aren't Indians...now I need a Buttweiser and Yumbo Yack/Holmberg KDKB Phoenix

gblowfish
10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
I will only buy the NY Jews hat if I can talk them down on the price.

WHAT? This hat is made of quality material! Feel that cloth, that's a high thread count! This hat is a bargain at TWICE the price!

ILChief
10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
There's no way KC keeps its mascot if the momentum forces DC and Cleveland to change theirs.

well technically the word "Chief" has other meanings besides Native Americans. Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, etc.

Of course the whole arrowhead thing may hurt us :)

Jamie
10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Hopefully intelligence would prevail, and most people would see the difference between a cultural reference and a racial one.

Reerun_KC
10-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Hopefully intelligence would prevail, and most people would see the difference between a cultural reference and a racial one.

You are talking about American's, the country of mouth breathers and soup sandwiches...

We are quickly becoming the dumbest nation on the planet... Its so freaking sad but true...

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2013, 03:39 PM
At least the Chiefs won't have to change their name if it comes to that.

saphojunkie
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm on the other side of this one, you guys. Redskins is pretty ****ing ridiculous, as is the Cleveland mascot.

But Chiefs has got jack shit to do with native americans, so lick my nuts.

tooge
10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
yuden.....

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 03:42 PM

They play in a stadium called Arrowhead. The team logo is a stylized arrowhead. One of the team's mascots is a horse called War paint. Someone of honor gets to bang a huge drum to start the tomahawk chop. The team name can be considered a pejorative.

Once the Redskins moniker falls, so too does KC's. Enjoy it all while you can.

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
The thing that always comes to mind for me is that a lot of Native American communities have issues with alcholism, diabetes, a high child mortality rate, obesity, etc. but let's concentrate on what's really hurting us; the names of professional sports teams.

gblowfish
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
I understand why Washington's name would be offensive, and Chief Wahoo looks like an old 1930's Loony Tunes stereotype cartoon. But calling a team the "Indians" or "Chiefs" is not meant to be demeaning. If anything, its a sign of reverence and respect.

Sorry, didn't mean to get serious.

New York Jews season tickets are $250. But for you....$195!!!

Just Passin' By
Hopefully intelligence would prevail....

You do realize that the people behind shit like this are winning politically because the average american is a fucking moron, right?

Just Passin' By
The thing that always comes to mind for me is that a lot of Native American communities have issues with alcholism, diabetes, a high child mortality rate, obesity, etc. but let's concentrate on what's really hurting us; the names of professional sports teams.

They wouldn't drink if you'd stop calling them redskins.

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
They play in a stadium called Arrowhead. The team logo is a stylized arrowhead. One of the team's mascots is a horse called War paint. Someone of honor gets to bang a huge drum to start the tomahawk chop. The team name can be considered a pejorative.

Once the Redskins moniker falls, so too does KC's. Enjoy it all while you can.The Chiefs were named after Harold Roe Bartle.

Velvet_Jones
10-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Why do people always take things and turn them negative. Chief is a symbol for leadership and wisdom. Why is that negative. If we changed the name to "moderately successful white male" would that make it better.

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 03:48 PM
They wouldn't drink if you'd stop calling them redskins.

Never thought of that.

I wonder if I'd stop drinking if my wife stopped calling me "shithead".

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Why do people always take things and turn them negative. Chief is a symbol for leadership and wisdom. Why is that negative. If we changed the name to "moderately successful white male" would that make it better.

Because their culture is too important to be used as something as insignificant as a mascot...or something like that.

BigMeatballDave
Get rid of Warpaint, I don't even care about that.

Berry would be happier...

Mr. Laz
maybe we should just finish the job we started

Just Passin' By
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM

They banned "fighting Sioux" but not "fighting Irish". That's all you really need to know about these jackholes.

gblowfish
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Get rid of Warpaint, I don't even care about that.

Berry would be happier...

NO NO NO NO.....
Suzie goes bouncy bouncy.
Horsey run, Suzie go bouncy bouncy bouncy......

mmmmmmmm........ Daddy Likey....

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/photo-gallery/Warpaint/609d4be5-e339-49a4-bd59-0577ab11a3e5

vailpass
10-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Never thought of that.

I wonder if I'd stop drinking if my wife stopped calling me "shithead".

:D

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
The Chiefs were named after Harold Roe Bartle.

But that does not matter to those who are trying to get rid of these mascots.

Amnorix
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
They banned "fighting Sioux" but not "fighting Irish". That's all you really need to know about these jackholes.

Did Sioux approve the name?

Basically EVERY President of Notre Dame over the last 100 years has been Irish. If they're not offended by it, why should anyone else be?

That said, I don't think the name "Indians" is particularly offensive, but that logo...mmmm....

vailpass
10-10-2013, 04:06 PM

Basically EVERY President of Notre Dame over the last 100 years has been Irish. If they're not offended by it, why should anyone else be?

That said, I don't think the name "Indians" is particularly offensive, but that logo...mmmm....

Ban big potatoes!

Jamie
10-10-2013, 04:08 PM
You do realize that the people behind shit like this are winning politically because the average american is a fucking moron, right?

At the risk of derailing this thread, I fall on the left side of the political spectrum. For the record I think the Indians mascot should be changed but I'm okay with the name; I'm on the fence about the Redskins. Also I think the Washington Wizards should go back to being the Bullets immediately.

Just Passin' By
10-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Sioux is not a race, and fighting is not being used as a pejorative, so who gives a shit?

mikey23545
10-10-2013, 04:10 PM
http://gamedayr.com/sports/mlb/american-indian-graphic-sports-logo-racism/

What a swing and a miss by the idiots who made up those logos.

Where is the San Fransisco Cock Swallowers logo?

ChiefsFanatic
10-10-2013, 04:18 PM

The Sioux have been involved in several wars, so Fighting Sioux is appropriate. But, the Irish (Irish Americans) only like to fight after getting drunk. So, they should really be called The Drunken Irish. And since most Irish are ok with that, there has been no outrage on their behalf.

I am just kidding. I just hate Notre Dame.

Gravedigger
10-10-2013, 04:18 PM
They tried to stop the Tomahawk Chop, BUT THEY CAN'T! BITCHES LEAVE!

jettio
10-10-2013, 04:21 PM

There was a lawsuit about the University of North Dakota use of the Sioux nickname in which some Sioux that did not object years ago sued for the continuation of the use of the name after UND changed the use after other Sioux and the NCAA wanted it to stop.

I don't remember the exact details but the group that did not mind the use of the name lost and appealed to 8th Circuit and lost there also. The KC Star courts reporter wrote an article about because it was a novel set of facts and claim.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I don't have a problem with names like Indians, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc. But that Indians logo is really ridiculous. They really do make a good point with the Jews and Chinamen logos.

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2013, 04:34 PM
But that does not matter to those who are trying to get rid of these mascots.

Our mascot is a fucking horse.

There is not thing racist about the Chiefs.

Well, except for the Chop. Which I've never liked anyway. And that was started by fans.

Canofbier
10-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that NY Jews hat is BAUCE. It's painful to say, but I would have to start rooting for a NY team if that became a reality.

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Our mascot is a fucking horse.

There is not thing racist about the Chiefs.

Well, except for the Chop. Which I've never liked anyway. And that was started by fans.

Technically, the mascot is a wolf.

To immunize KC against the same arguments that are currently working against the Redskins, the Hunt family would have to rename the stadium, get rid of War Paint, change the logo and actively discourage fans from doing the chop.

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 04:59 PM
What a swing and a miss by the idiots who made up those logos.

Where is the San Fransisco Cock Swallowers logo?

:D

displacedinMN
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by BCD View Post

Once the Redskins moniker falls, so too does KC's. Enjoy it all while you can.

The PC police is coming for you Clark

p.s. I do not see how an Arrowhead is offensive.

Brock
10-10-2013, 05:01 PM

To immunize KC against the same arguments that are currently working against the Redskins, the Hunt family would have to rename the stadium, get rid of War Paint, change the logo and actively discourage fans from doing the chop.

The argument against the redskins is that it's an obvious racial slur, which it is.

gosampel
10-10-2013, 05:01 PM
You can't make someone change something after theses many years in place

cosmo20002
10-10-2013, 05:02 PM

KC Wolf?

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 05:03 PM
And on the topic of the racist logos: the designers kind of undercut themselves by not using epithets for the names. If they want to demonstrate how hateful the Redskins name is, then they should've called the New York team the Kikes or Hymies and the San Fran one the Chinks or Chingchongs

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I think Washington should be renamed the Washington" Red Skinheads"

displacedinMN
10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Just in the MPLS paper today

A new strategy in the movement to replace the Washington Redskins’ long-maligned moniker has taken root in Minnesota, the place a coalition of Native American groups say is ground zero for eradicating the NFL logo and mascot they consider as defamatory as the “N-word.”

Change the Mascot, a campaign consisting of organizations including the Minneapolis-based American Indian Movement, asked the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority to refrain from printing or broadcasting the Redskins’ name or logo within the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome during the team’s Nov. 7 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings. Doing so within a publicly owned facility, they reasoned, violates federal labor laws, hate-speech protections and the civil rights of Native Americans. Failure to abide by the request could result in legal action ranging from a temporary injunction to a class-action lawsuit on behalf of Indian children, said Change the Mascot member Alan Yelsey.

Minnesota’s large Indian population, combined with a soon-to-be rebuilt publicly owned stadium, and the support of Rep. Betty McCollum, co-chair of the Congressional Native American Caucus and an outspoken critic of the name, make for the perfect elements to make the first attempt, he added.

“There’s no difference between the “R-word” and the “N-word,” Yelsey said. “There’s no reason why this discriminatory and damaging term needs to be used when alternatives exist. We’re not trying to change the name, although we prefer it changed. We’re saying it’s illegal to use the name in a public facility and place of employment, and to ensure its use is the very definition of institutional racism.”

MSFA Chair Michele Kelm-Helgen said Thursday that the board heard and understood the concerns at last week’s meeting, but that it’s too early to make a move.

“The NFL has very specific rules about what happens when teams play in our facility, and that’s what we’re looking at with the NFL and our attorneys,” she said. “At this point, I’m not even sure what our options would be.”

Abby Simons • 612-673-4921

Stanley Nickels
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
JFC, there is a particular breed of posters that seems to infiltrate every goddamn message board with bullshit "LIBTARD PC POLICE ALERT" and similarly ridiculous strawman arguments. Nobody -- NOBODY -- made this about the Chiefs until you did. It's about TWO INSTANCES, where a name (Redskins) and a logo (Cleveland Indians) are offensive. All this thread lacks now is an anecdote of how you once met a Native American, and he wasn't offended, so it's fine.

Brock
10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
My friend Furry Bear of the Heyyawannablowme tribe is ok with it

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 05:23 PM
JFC, there is a particular breed of posters that seems to infiltrate every goddamn message board with bullshit "LIBTARD PC POLICE ALERT" and similarly ridiculous strawman arguments. Nobody -- NOBODY -- made this about the Chiefs until you did. It's about TWO INSTANCES, where a name (Redskins) and a logo (Cleveland Indians) are offensive. All this thread lacks now is an anecdote of how you once met a Native American, and he wasn't offended, so it's fine.

So, because the Chiefs aren't mentioned in this particular action, anticipating a future manuever to do the same thing to the Chiefs is irresponsible??? Yeah, don't get that.

Brock
10-10-2013, 05:25 PM
There is absolutely nothing at all remotely racial about "Chiefs", so there's that.

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 05:28 PM
There is absolutely nothing at all remotely racial about "Chiefs", so there's that.

Says you.

displacedinMN
10-10-2013, 05:28 PM
How about changing the name to reflect the current situation

The Washington Standstill
This is their logo
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIo1th9C3hlDd0j-fZkQ5fjQpqzTTx-flGCZ-ATKcAnBRKL6Zq4A

LiveSteam
10-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Cool story. My kid is Sioux & she fucking loves it!

Brock
10-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Says you.

Says anyone with a functioning brain.

BlackHelicopters
10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
R.I.P. Chiefs moniker

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2013, 05:34 PM

To immunize KC against the same arguments that are currently working against the Redskins, the Hunt family would have to rename the stadium, get rid of War Paint, change the logo and actively discourage fans from doing the chop.NONE of that is racist.

Chiefs fans stole the Chop from Seminole fans.

RINGLEADER
10-10-2013, 05:40 PM
well technically the word "Chief" has other meanings besides Native Americans. Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, etc.

Of course the whole arrowhead thing may hurt us :)

Screw 'em. Just change the arrowhead to a police badge.

Stanley Nickels
10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
So, because the Chiefs aren't mentioned in this particular action, anticipating a future manuever to do the same thing to the Chiefs is irresponsible??? Yeah, don't get that.

Right, because the slippery slope is always inevitable. You think any group with half a brain is going to aggressively pursue changing everything even remotely offensive? No, they know that will only end up alienating people and hurting their cause. You've got to go Occam's Razor on this: they find two racist names offensive and of no value to their historical heritage, and they want change. Period.

GloucesterChief
10-10-2013, 05:58 PM
The chief name can still be used. Instead of using the Native America theme the team can simply change it to a fire chief or police chief or can reference another group. For example if you go European you get:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/images/ps269107_m.jpg

As your new logo.

Just Passin' By
10-10-2013, 05:59 PM

It's about being "offensive", you moron. It doesn't have to be racial. The "Fighting Sioux" wasn't racist. Hell, they originally banned "Seminoles", before that was reversed.

Christ, kick start your second brain cell, for ****'s sake.

Brock
10-10-2013, 06:10 PM
It's about being "offensive", you moron. It doesn't have to be racial. The "Fighting Sioux" wasn't racist. Hell, they originally banned "Seminoles", before that was reversed.

Christ, kick start your second brain cell, for ****'s sake.

No, dipshit. Redskin is a racial slur, and that is why some people want it changed. The other two names you refer to are irrelevant. Referring to specific tribes is vastly different than a generic name like Chiefs. What an incredible moron.

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Says you.

You'd have to be a complete moron to think Chiefs is racist.

Window Licking Whiner
10-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I live here in va, and this is redskins area. They daily talk about te name change. It's growing in momentum, and yeah every team name isn't safe anymore.

But id like to see Obama open his mouth about his Chicago Blackhawks as they are just as offensive as the redskins. Or how about te fighting Irish, that's just as offensive.

I wish the American people would grow so some fucking balls. God our grandparents have to be looking down on how pussified we are becoming.

Chiefs, Atlanta braves, redskins, notre same etc. If one name falls so do we all

Window Licking Whiner
10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
No, dipshit. Redskin is a racial slur, and that is why some people want it changed. The other two names you refer to are irrelevant. Referring to specific tribes is vastly different than a generic name like Chiefs. What an incredible moron.

I don't think you get to be the moral compass for anything.

If one name is offensive to someone then it will be changed. While you think it'll only be the redakins you better think again. They will go after every Indian name in all sports.

Cleveland Indians, Atlanta braves, kc chiefs, redskins, Chicago Blackhawks, etc etc etc

You are a fucking moron if you think only the redskins will fall victim to thos

Frazod
10-10-2013, 06:30 PM
The kinds of people who get butthurt over this stuff stay butthurt after they win, because butthurt is all they know. More butthurt is an inevitable as a sunrise.

Do I see how a reasonable person could be offended by Redskins or that stupid Indians logo? Sure. But more importantly, the entire concept of the word "Indian" should be offensive to all Native Americans, since they are not, nor have they ever been, Indians. Seems like actual Indians should be annoyed by that as well. Thanks, Columbus! (And his name was actually Columbo. What a douche.)

That all being said, give no quarter to these fucks. They never stop. Whether its guns, smokes or team names and logos, don't give an inch.

Dayze
10-10-2013, 06:45 PM
well shit. if we can't have the "Chiefs", next thing you know we can't have the 'Kansas City Faggots'.

we always get screwed

alnorth
10-10-2013, 06:46 PM
But id like to see Obama open his mouth about his Chicago Blackhawks as they are just as offensive as the redskins. Or how about te fighting Irish, that's just as offensive.

Like hell they are.

There's a very good reason why Washington, and to a slightly lesser extent Cleveland are being singled out, and relatively few people care about teams named after specific tribes.

Washington's team name is literally a racial slur. Thats just incredible. Its about the same as calling a team the New York N-words. Cleveland can keep their name for all I care, but Chief Wahoo has got to go.

GoChargers
10-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Chief Wahoo is blatantly a racist caricature, and Redskin is clearly a racial slur. It's not a matter of "political correctness," "the pussification of America," or any other thinly-veiled codeword for the left/right political ramblings that really go on in these discussions. It's just a fact.

And society should have progressed past things like Chief Wahoo being revered and protected by now - pretty sad that some people are so blind to the value of being decent to other people that they haven't advanced past that point.

For the record, I don't see Chiefs as offensive, because that refers to an occupation, not a race. It's no different than naming your team the Presidents. And if push came to shove, you could keep the exact same colors and uniforms and just have it refer to fire chiefs instead. :D

JoeyChuckles
10-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Times change. Things that were once not offensive become offensive. Is that a difficult concept?

Dayze
10-10-2013, 06:59 PM
be quiet beaner.

redshirt32
10-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm offended that we have sport teams with animal names, bird names, or sea creatures

da bears, Jags, Bills, Seachickins, Fins

wait also the Saints there shouldn't be anything related to religion at all in any team

Best let the US GOV/ACLU/PETA rename all teams they know what's best for all of us and our families.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I understand why Washington's name would be offensive, and Chief Wahoo looks like an old 1930's Loony Tunes stereotype cartoon. But calling a team the "Indians" or "Chiefs" is not meant to be demeaning. If anything, its a sign of reverence and respect.

Sorry, didn't mean to get serious.

New York Jews season tickets are $250. But for you....$195!!!

ROFL

If I were an Indian in Minneapolis, I'd be more concerned about winterizing my tepee than fucking with football.

Just sayin'.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2013, 07:13 PM
http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/american-indiana-stereotype-hat-poster-570x367.png

LMAO

I TOTALLY want a New York Jews hat!

10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Well, if they say Chief is bad name and disrespectful to the indian nation then I guess we can no longer have Police Chiefs and Fire Chiefs either.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
How about KC Boss's?

It's derogatory and means "son of a bitch".

kcchiefsus
10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
The Chiefs were named after former KC mayor H. Roe Bartle who was nicknamed the Chief.

Window Licking Whiner
10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
The real problem with you acquiescing to the name changes are that were does it end. If redskins have to change their name, chiefs are next( it's all they talk about in redskins talk radio). And the same people offended to redskins are listening to this as well, and chiefs will be next.

Fighting Irish is just as racial as any Indian names, cause only Irish people like to fight amirite?

Pretty soon our team names will be football team #127936

Saulbadguy
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Reported.

seamonster
10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
My grandmothers uncle was one of the lucky who were educated up at Fort Peck. Charles Russel taught my great grandmother how to paint. The uncle played football when it was in its infancy . My maternal grandad not a Native American watched the NA play football around the time the uncle would have been playing. According to gramps they were really tough . That uncle ended up riding with Buffalo Bills show and played tuba with Souza's band. Somehow I get the feeling what some NA felt back then and what they would say about the whole mascot thing would go against the NA who are making a fuss now. Basically I understand the sentiment , but why ask the Governement and Obama to make it good ? From what I hear its the shit going on with Keystone thats the real story . It wont be long before the powers that be will say enough is enough force the remaining NA on reservations to assimilate or die. Meanwhile this BS with team names is going on . In some ways its no different than anything else going on . Give special interests perks to go along with the Big time agenda . Look at the recent supreme court rulings . What a bunch of BS.

From what I understand their complaints are that their depicted as extremley violent, dumb (the cleveland indians big ass giant red drunken face), and cheesed out feather people. There's some obvious truth to that, but there's also no clear indication that "redskin" was ever used as a racial slur.

Brock
10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
The real problem with you acquiescing to the name changes are that were does it end. If redskins have to change their name, chiefs are next( it's all they talk about in redskins talk radio). And the same people offended to redskins are listening to this as well, and chiefs will be next.

Fighting Irish is just as racial as any Indian names, cause only Irish people like to fight amirite?

Pretty soon our team names will be football team #127936

How come the only argument is slippery slope?

ThaVirus
10-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Pretty much.

And in all the crying about those pussy liberals, they actually become the very thing they apparently despise so much- whiney bitches!

ForeverChiefs58
10-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Fuck everyone that now gets upset over team names. I really just wish all the pc assholes would just bite the end of a shotgun. Next thing you know we will change the name of our Apache helicopters, or our tomahawk missles. Wouldnt want to offend the people our country went to war with and wanted dead. Booo hoo they named the killing of bin laden Geronimo, better protest it and write obama about it. Those that are offended should be scalped and given a proper indian burial.

KC native
10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
these threads are soooooooooooo much fun.

Stanley Nickels
10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
**** everyone that now gets upset over team names. I really just wish all the pc assholes would just bite the end of a shotgun. Next thing you know we will change the name of our Apache helicopters, or our tomahawk missles. Wouldnt want to offend the people our country went to war with and wanted dead. Booo hoo they named the killing of bin laden Geronimo, better protest it and write obama about it. Those that are offended should be scalped and given a proper indian burial.

^^ Irrefutable logic. Get on this guy's side ASAP ^^

Sorter
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
The Kansas City Ocelots sounds like a decent replacement name.

Baby Lee
10-10-2013, 10:22 PM
The kinds of people who get butthurt over this stuff stay butthurt after they win, because butthurt is all they know. More butthurt is an inevitable as a sunrise.

Do I see how a reasonable person could be offended by Redskins or that stupid Indians logo? Sure. But more importantly, the entire concept of the word "Indian" should be offensive to all Native Americans, since they are not, nor have they ever been, Indians. Seems like actual Indians should be annoyed by that as well. Thanks, Columbus! (And his name was actually Columbo. What a douche.)

That all being said, give no quarter to these fucks. They never stop. Whether its guns, smokes or team names and logos, don't give an inch.

Actually calling people of 'India' Indians is English colonialism. If we were respecting them it'd be something closer to Sindusi.

OTOH, and more important to me, I can accept and discuss people being offended by Redskins, what I have much bigger problem with is; the facile declaration that Redskin is a slur, and the allegation that it as the same as 'the N-word.'

For something to be a slur, certainly a prohibitive slur like ****er, there needs to be evidence of people using it to derogate identifiable races or ethnicities.

Indigenous Americans certainly have a troubled history in the US, particularly back in the 1800s, but I can honestly say I have NEVER in my lifetime run into anyone with serious beef with Indians. I am 3/8 Choctaw, but look very Causasian [the rest of my background is 1/4 German and 3/8 British/Celtic, traceable back to the Newton's of Sir Isaac, and my British/Celtic features predominate], but my mom and my mom's immediate and extended family are very Indian in appearance. Further, they wear their Indian-ness with an almost fetishistic fervor. All their homes are filled with Indian art, jewelry, artifacts, etc. Most all are CoC/RLDS and their autos proudly bear bumper stickers calling the Book of Mormon 'The Indian Bible.'

When I hear Indian agitators making the comparison between Redskin and ****er, I hear them expressing jealousy over the economy of race hustling Jesse and Al have perfected. They're seeking to gin up outrage for power and $$ purposes. Nobody despises Indians, not in anything outside minuscule outlier numbers. Reservations have problems of poverty and pigeonholing, but those are crimes of Federal neglect, not crimes of purposeful cultural oppression.

I also grew up with Boy Scouts, Mic-O-Say, the crying Indian who mourned litter, Kevin Costner films, basically a culture inside and outside my family that found A LOT about Indians to be aspirational.

Are reservations neglected, sure. Was the 1800s a shitty century for Indians, sure. Do mascots and flippant references minimize past depredations, OK. But are people seeking avenues today to disparage Indians, no. To the contrary, I honestly see everything from Chiefs, Arrowhead, Indians, Fighting Sioux, Redskins, even Wahoo and Tonto, positive reflections on Indian culture.
If anything, the image of a ripped red man with amazing horse riding, hunting, and tracking skills masks some realities of a population saturated with some real pie-wagons with diabetes and their own rascals for Wal-Mart leisure shopping.

Frazod
10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
So could we have the New Dehli Sindusis?

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2013, 10:28 PM
So could we have the New Dehli Sindusis?

Or better yet, can we hire Baby Lee to write some technical manuals and then post them word for word?

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
You'd have to be a complete moron to think Chiefs is racist.

My point isn't to argue that point...my point is that there are MANY others who'll say different.

Sorter
10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Kansas City Platypi (or platypuses, depending on your vernacular) is not offensive either.

We could even make shirts that say "Go Puses!"

Baby Lee
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Kansas City Platypi (or platypuses, depending on your vernacular) is not offensive either.

We could even make shirts that say "Go Puses!"

Then, when they suck again, Playedoutpussies is a lot funnier than Chefs.

Sorter
10-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Then, when they suck again, Playedoutpussies is a lot funnier than Chefs.

In like Flynn

/Planet Earth

fan4ever
10-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Right, because the slippery slope is always inevitable. You think any group with half a brain is going to aggressively pursue changing everything even remotely offensive? No, they know that will only end up alienating people and hurting their cause. You've got to go Occam's Razor on this: they find two racist names offensive and of no value to their historical heritage, and they want change. Period.

Been around much?

Here's what the NAACP was proposing in 1999 for the educational system. I'm sure it's crazy to think, if successful, this would expanded to the private sector because these are reasonable folks who don't want to seem overboard and hurt their own cause:

The NAACP passed a resolution calling for the end of the use of Native American names, images, and mascots in 1999.[21]

In 2001, the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights released an advisory opinion calling for an end to the use of Native American images and team names by non-Native schools. The opinion made the following points:

The use of Native American images and nicknames in school is insensitive and should be avoided, and may violate anti-discrimination laws.
These references.. are particularly inappropriate and insensitive in light of the long history of forced assimilation that American Indian people have endured in this country.

It is particularly disturbing that Native American references are still to be found in educational institutions ... where diverse groups of people come together to learn not only the "Three Rs," but also how to interact respectfully with people from different cultures.

The use of stereotypical images may create a hostile environment that may be intimidating to Indian students. American Indians have the lowest high school graduation rates in the nation and even lower college attendance and graduation rates. The perpetuation of harmful stereotypes may exacerbate these problems.

Schools that continue [these practices] claim that their use stimulates interest in Native American culture and honors Native Americans but have simply failed to listen to the Native groups, religious leaders, and civil rights organizations that oppose this behavior.

Mascots, symbols and team names are not accurate representations of Native Americans. Even those that purport to be positive are romantic stereotypes that give a distorted view of the past. These false portrayals prevent non-Native Americans from understanding the true historical and cultural experiences of American Indians. Sadly, they also encourage biases and prejudices that have a negative effect on contemporary Indian people. These references may encourage interest in mythical "Indians" created by the dominant culture, but they block genuine understanding of contemporary Native people as fellow Americans.[22]

jettio
10-10-2013, 10:45 PM

The Redskins could lose their trademark protection in court because disparaging trademarks are not protected by law. They already lost a case making that claim, but on appeal was able to make a claim that the defendants were middle age people that could have come to court many years before.

So now, younger plainitffs are bringing the claim and might win. If the Redskins lose their trademark protection, that could mean that people could make and sell unlicensed replica gear and the Redskins would not be able to do anything about it.

There is no way that the trademarks court would find the Chiefs name and logos disparaging, much less disparaging enough to lose trademark protection.

Snyder says he would not change the name even if he loses trademark protection, but he might make plenty of money selling new gear if he changed the name and hit a home run with the new name and logos. I don't think the Redskins logo is disparaging, but the name seems to be.

If Snyder changed the name he could make the case that he should keep trademark protection for Redskins merchandise because if it is disparaging it ought to be responsibly managed by him and not by all of the other people that would sell the "nostalgia" stuff.

The best financial move might be to change the name, sell a lot of the new merchandise. Use the fact of the name change as evidence to the trademark court that he should keep trademark protection for nostalgia Redskins gear, and sell a lot of that.

I think the Native American plaintiffs do not have any legal leverage to do anything to Snyder or the Redskins except to nullify the trademark.

alnorth
10-10-2013, 11:26 PM
How come the only argument is slippery slope?

No kidding.

This is what irritates me more than anything else, the other side sort of gives a wink and a nod and secretly admits "ok, you got us, the Redskins is totally racist and wrong, right? I mean, its pretty obvious, the team's God Damned name is a racial epithet, we can't defend it, BUT....

(Chiefs/Indians/whatever) could be next. Sure, it may not be seen as blatantly racist and obviously offensive NOW, but you know them dam Lib'ruls, nex' thing ya know, they'll be comin fer yuuu!

That is an idiotic, moronic argument that should be respected by nobody.

The Cleveland Indians' official mascot is obviously a racist caricature that should not be tolerated. Period, end of discussion.

The Washington Redskins, as an official team name, is obviously an offensive racial slur that should be tolerated by nobody. Period, end of discussion.

That does not automatically mean that the Seminoles, Chiefs, or Indians as team names become intolerable, we are not morons who always automatically give in and slide down the moronic slippery slope, so using the slippery slope is a stupid, idiotic argument. The Chiefs will live or die on its own merits, unrelated to anything else, so don't make us defend the obviously racist and the obviously indefensible logos and names out there out of dumb fear, stop being so damned stupid.

The Chiefs are fine.

The Cleveland Indians logo is not.

The Washington Redskins name is not.

All of these statements are easily-defended, don't make this a dumb zero-sum game.

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 11:30 PM
No kidding.

This is what irritates me more than anything else, the other side sort of gives a wink and a nod and secretly admits "ok, you got us, the Redskins is totally racist and wrong, right? I mean, its pretty obvious, the team's God Damned name is a racial epithet, we can't defend it, BUT....

(Chiefs/Indians/whatever) could be next. Sure, it may not be seen as blatantly racist and obviously offensive NOW, but you know them dam Lib'ruls, nex' thing ya know, they'll be comin fer yuuu!

That is an idiotic, moronic argument that should be respected by nobody.

The Cleveland Indians' official mascot is obviously a racist caricature that should not be tolerated. Period, end of discussion.

The Washington Redskins, as an official team name, is obviously an offensive racial slur that should be tolerated by nobody. Period, end of discussion.

That does not automatically mean that the Seminoles, Chiefs, or Indians as team names become intolerable, we are not morons who always automatically give in and slide down the moronic slippery slope, so using the slippery slope is a stupid, idiotic argument. The Chiefs will live or die on its own merits, unrelated to anything else, so don't make us defend the obviously racist and the obviously indefensible logos and names out there out of dumb fear, stop being so damned stupid.

The Chiefs are fine.

The Cleveland Indians logo is not.

The Washington Redskins name is not.

All of these statements are easily-defended, don't make this a dumb zero-sum game.

But the Chiefs are not fine. As I've said earlier -considering the amount of "native" themed traditions associated with the team, it can be viewed just as offensive as the Redskins.

alnorth
10-10-2013, 11:37 PM
But the Chiefs are not fine. As I've said earlier -considering the amount of "native" themed traditions associated with the team, it can be viewed just as offensive as the Redskins.

Bullshit

"Redskins" is a damned racial epithet.

"Indians" is a description of a race or a people, just like caucasian or nordic or african, or Irish, or eskimo, or whatever, Some people object to using those racial classifications as sports team names, but there is no question that they are a much lower, less offensive, much less objectionable class than Redskins. They are not comparable, AT ALL.

Chiefs is an even LOWER class, we are no longer even talking about tribes or types of people, now we're merely at profession. Are you seriously going to argue that "Chiefs" is a horrible racist word, on the same level as that other horrid profession: "Actuaries"? That is so dumb, it is laughable.

Discuss Thrower
10-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Bullshit

"Indians" is a description of a race or a people, just like caucasian or nordic or african, or Irish, or eskimo, or whatever, Some people object to using those racial classifications as sports team names, but there is no question that they are a much lower, less offensive, much less objectionable class than Redskins. They are not comparable, AT ALL.

Chiefs is an even LOWER class, we are no longer even talking about tribes or types of people, now we're merely at profession. Are you seriously going to argue that "Chiefs" is a horrible racist word, on the same level as that other horrid profession: "Actuaries"? That is so dumb, it is laughable.

Redskins is a racial epithet, yes.

Indians refers to a group of people, yes.

Chief does refer to a professional title. However, the fact the team plays in a stadium named "Arrowhead" and has a mascot that is a horse named "Warpaint" and the team administration now approves of fans doing the tomahawk chop that the team name is meant to connote the fact it is linked to depictions of Native Americans in a general -and probably stereotypical- sense. Also, referring to a Native American as "Chief" can probably be considered a racial epithet as well.

If the Redskins are deemed to be insensitive then so are the Chiefs. As a white guy who's grown up a fan of the team I don't like it at all. But as one who has grown up to understand the abhorrent things that have happened to Native Americans I can't see how you can ban the use of one teams' moniker for being offensive to that group of people when the exact same argument can be leveled against another one's.

BWillie
10-11-2013, 12:03 AM
So where can I get some scalps? I wish to purchase some scalps with Raider visors to swing around at the gm

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:09 AM
So where can I get some scalps? I wish to purchase some scalps with Raider visors to swing around at the gm

I know a guy, who knows an ocelot, who may or may not have some scalps for sale.

GoChargers
10-11-2013, 01:04 AM

As I explained earlier, "Chief" is an occupation, not a racial epithet. That's not the kind of name or logo people are offended by, it's the obvious racist ones that rightfully catch heat. The Chiefs name is being used as a red herring in here for people who want to cling on to outdated racist imagery because it "PISSES OFF ALL 'DEM PC LIB'RULS HERP DERP."

Lonewolf Ed
10-11-2013, 01:37 AM

I heard from an honest-to-goodness Irishman, with an accent and all, that "We Irish don't fight... unless we're drunk."

crazycoffey
10-11-2013, 03:17 AM
My friend Furry Bear of the Heyyawannablowme tribe is ok with it

I'm a member of the Heyyawannablowme tribe, so it's ok

crazycoffey
10-11-2013, 03:27 AM
All my life, I've only heard "redskin" to talk about Washington football. I'm 41. Not that the term doesn't have underline tones, but I don't see how it's "racist". Least of all now. The fight to change the name is a political battle. One where the combatants have more important issues to fight.

Christ on a cracker, can America (the current one) stop trying to make up for the past while the future is in disarray?

Who cares about the names of sports teams? The football team isn't trying to be racist. Why doesn't intent have more power in this topic?

If "the Washinton redskins" is racist so is the "kc chiefs". Regardless of the mayors nickname.

acesn8s
10-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Just change the damn name to the Washington Rednecks because that seems to be the only group not offended by their slur thanks to Jeff Foxworthy.

ForeverChiefs58
10-11-2013, 06:07 AM
All my life, I've only heard "redskin" to talk about Washington football. I'm 41. Not that the term doesn't have underline tones, but I don't see how it's "racist". Least of all now. The fight to change the name is a political battle. One where the combatants have more important issues to fight.

Christ on a cracker, can America (the current one) stop trying to make up for the past while the future is in disarray?

Who cares about the names of sports teams? The football team isn't trying to be racist. Why doesn't intent have more power in this topic?

If "the Washinton redskins" is racist so is the "kc chiefs". Regardless of the mayors nickname.

I agree. Total BS. FSU has a history of tomahawk chops, indian riders, headdresses and all too. Many teams and references to indians are being brought up now because this is what happens everytime some idiots gets butthurt feeling. If 1 person is upset everyone as a nation should bend over backwards to make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I live in seminole county. It's not coincidental that non indian democrats are the most butthurt over it either.
If they gave two shits about their image they should be upset most think of indians as alcoholics with gambling problems.

ILChief
10-11-2013, 06:17 AM
I think the problem with the redskins is the name, not the logo. I think the problem with the Indians is the logo and not the name

ForeverChiefs58
10-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Just change the damn name to the Washington Rednecks because that seems to be the only group not offended by their slur thanks to Jeff Foxworthy.

This is what I mean. Do you see rednecks bitching wanting jeff foxworthy banned? Redneck and redskin are not that different terms. And we never went to war against rednecks! Lol

ILChief
10-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Do they want red man chewing tobacco to change their name as well?

Window Licking Whiner
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Bullshit

Again you don't get to say who is offended. If you agree that someone being offended to redskins, then there is someone out there who will be offended by chiefs. I love idiots like you. You are perfectly fine with being politically correct, as long as it's not you that are affected. There is no way to say which ones are offensive and aren't, and you especially won't get to be the one who determines it. There is no way to say who is and isn't offended by things.

But go ahead jump on the bandwagon for them to change, and when the same ppl come after the chiefs, good luck trying to argue with the media that some poor Indian isn't offended by te term Chief

mdchiefsfan
10-11-2013, 07:01 AM
The Sioux have been involved in several wars, so Fighting Sioux is appropriate. But, the Irish (Irish Americans) only like to fight after getting drunk. So, they should really be called The Drunken Irish. And since most Irish are ok with that, there has been no outrage on their behalf.

I am just kidding. I just hate Notre Dame.

Don't make me drink and fight you :cuss:

ForeverChiefs58
10-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Next, they'll want us to change the term used to call a restaurant and hold seats for dinners, and the term used to sell tickets. Lol at the indian givers.

stevieray
10-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Jim Thorpe

Frazod
10-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Meet the opposition. This is why you don't negotiate with them. :shake:

vailpass
10-11-2013, 08:30 AM
They have their casinos and reparations. Can't we call it good now?

Discuss Thrower
10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Meet the opposition. This is why you don't negotiate with them. :shake:

I don't like it anymore than you do but I can see the writing on the wall.

MahiMike
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Welcome to Russia.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2013, 11:57 AM
They have their casinos and reparations. Can't we call it good now?

This. My Grandmother and countless others are ponying up the wampum on a weekly fucking basis.