PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why are Chiefs 5-0?

Shaid
10-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Not a bad article. Pretty mush tells us what we already know, Houston and Poe are badasses.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/inside-slant

Inside Slant: Why are Chiefs 5-0?
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

The Kansas City Chiefs have not only surprised much of the NFL world this season. For the most part, they've confounded us as well. Why are they 5-0? How good are they?

The usual suspects don't provide an explanation. Their quarterback, Alex Smith, has provided leadership and security (only four turnovers) but has hardly been a dynamic player. (His QBR of 51.2, which takes into account 161 rushing yards, ranks No. 16 in the league.)

Tailback Jamaal Charles, meanwhile, has rushed for 397 yards, which projected over a full season would leave him short of his 16-game performances in 2010 and 2012.

But here is something that you probably wouldn't realize if you haven't watched the Chiefs' games: Their pass defense -- especially the game-changing play variety -- has been off the charts so far.

Technically, the Chiefs' pass defense ranks No. 4 in the league because it is giving up 198 yards per game. But more important, I think, is a metric that ESPN Stats & Information refers to as "disrupted dropbacks." It is a combination of sacks, passes defended, interceptions and batted balls, and the Chiefs are way out in front of the league in those kinds of big plays.

Disrupted Dropback* By Defense
Rank Team Dis. Dbk Pct.
1 Chiefs 24.9
2 Bills 21.1
3 Colts 21.1
4 Titans 20.5
5 Rams 20.3
Avg. -- 16.7
28 Giants 12.7
29 Eagles 12.3
30 Steelers 12.3
31 Bears 12.2
32 Jets 11.8
*Sacks, passes defended, interceptions, batted balls divided by number of dropbacks faced.

Source: ESPN Stats & Information
The chart shows the top five and worst five in the NFL based on percentage of dropbacks that have been disrupted. The Chiefs have disrupted nearly a quarter of all passing plays they've faced this season, significantly more than the next team and well ahead of the NFL average.

Indeed, the Chiefs lead the NFL with 21 sacks through five weeks of the season. Their 30 pass breakups, 10 batted passes and 20 passes defended also sit atop the league rankings. They are tied for third with seven interceptions.

(Linebacker Justin Houston leads the NFL with 12.5 disrupted dropbacks: 8.5 via sacks and four via batted passes. Defensive tackle Dontari Poe, meanwhile, has a total of 6.5 disrupted dropbacks -- tied for No. 10 -- with 4.5 sacks and two batted passes.)

These types of plays don't simply prevent the opposition from gaining yards. They disproportionately impact the outcome of games, leading from unfavorable down-and-distances to change of possession and ultimately failed offensive game plans. It's no surprise that opponents are averaging 11.6 points per game against the Chiefs, by far the lowest total in the league.

The NFL is so geared toward the passing game that the rarest of commodities is a defense that can stop the pass. That's why Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman told reporters this week that, in truth, "this is a game of contested throws." Can receivers make catches against defenders who are in position? Or can the defenses make the play to keep the ball away?

So far this season, the Chiefs have done a better job of the latter than any team. If it continues, there is no telling how far Kansas City might go. A team with the playmakers to stop NFL passing attacks? Yes, please.

Bowser
10-10-2013, 07:57 PM
http://media2.giphy.com/media/S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o/giphy.gif

Chiefs Pantalones
10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Because we've won our first five games.

salame
10-10-2013, 07:59 PM
http://allthingslearning.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ok-heres-the-thing.png

FlaChief58
10-10-2013, 07:59 PM
So, if you can keep the other team from scoring more than you do you can win? /tl;dr

Shaid
10-10-2013, 08:02 PM

John Madden posts on CP. :)

Shaid
10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I just imagine how ridiculous our pash rush would look if we could consistently score early and force other teams into catch up mode. We're doing this while letting other teams stay in the game.

stevieray
10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
http://media2.giphy.com/media/S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o/giphy.gif

:rockon:

RealSNR
10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Because against each of the opponents we've faced this season, we've scored more points than they have.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Steady QB play
Winning the turnover battle
Stingy defense, that keeps the other team out of the endzone
Field position
They make plays when they absolutely have to on both offense and defense
A proven head coach that knows how to win games

MotherfuckerJones
10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Because we fired our shitty front office staff, hired real front office. Hired a real coach and assistants and got a QB who won't shit the bed.

Ace Gunner
10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
hello peyton

Brock
10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Reid - Sutton - Toub

Ace Gunner
10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Reid - Sutton - Toub

easy like 1 - 2 - 3

Also, Dorsey did a good thing releasing Dorsey and getting Devito. Devito has been a real spark plug for the DL. Smart player.

Easy 6
10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Its pretty amazing to me how well the bills and colts are doing on defense... the colts have their belief in Luck which i believe fires them up and has them playing above their talent level, but the bills?

That college coach of theirs just might be NFL material.

Canofbier
10-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Why does everyone keep acting like Charles is having a down year? He's second in the entire NFL in yards-from-scrimmage.

bowener
10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
This is just the first year of cleanup! Reid and Co. are going to be here a while. I am not sure if I am feeling hope or not... it's been too long.

Simply Red
10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
very good read bud, thanks.

salame
10-10-2013, 09:11 PM
uh-oh, he dropped a "bud" on you

Rasputin
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Chiefs have out scored each of the 5 teams they played against for $800 Alex.

cosmo20002
10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Why are Chiefs 5-0?

Thig's mojo. Even in death, some mojo still lingers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
So, let me get this straight:

The Chiefs are not 5-0 because of Charles or Axl.

Did not know this.

TimBone
10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
So, let me get this straight:

The Chiefs are not 5-0 because of Charles or Axl.

Did not know this.

Actually I found that part of the article to be bullshit and it almost ruined the article right off the bat. He's right, Alex hasn't been a superstar.....but he's been steady, and that is light years above Cassel and Quinn from last year. How many times did the D play 3 tough quarters last year only to finally break in he fourth due to exhaustion from being on the field all day? As far as Charles goes, he discredits him because of the low rushing numbers, but doesn't mention his role on the passing game or that he's pretty much the core of the offense. Both guys are a huge reason we are 5-0.

Shaid
10-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Actually I found that part of the article to be bullshit and it almost ruined the article right off the bat. He's right, Alex hasn't been a superstar.....but he's been steady, and that is light years above Cassel and Quinn from last year. How many times did the D play 3 tough quarters last year only to finally break in he fourth due to exhaustion from being on the field all day? As far as Charles goes, he discredits him because of the low rushing numbers, but doesn't mention his role on the passing game or that he's pretty much the core of the offense. Both guys are a huge reason we are 5-0.

I agree with you here, he's using stats to try to prove it's not the offense. Obviously we have some nice offensive weapons but the point of the article is really that without our ridiculous D, we wouldn't be undefeated.

BWillie
10-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Ifs definitely not because of Alex Smith

Chiefs Pantalones
10-11-2013, 12:19 AM
@greggrosenthal: J. Charles has at least 100 yards from scrimmage and a TD in all 5 games. Last player to do that to start a season was O.J. in '75.

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Probably Clark.

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
@greggrosenthal: J. Charles has at least 100 yards from scrimmage and a TD in all 5 games. Last player to do that to start a season was O.J. in '75.

Charles, please don't drive a Bronco.

Best regards,

Sorter.

Nightfyre
10-11-2013, 12:23 AM
The Chiefs are 5-0 because their defense is easily the best out there this year. The end.

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
The Chiefs are 5-0 because their defense is easily the best out there this year. The end.
Yes and Turnovers.

Have you seen the difference between this season and last? Chiefs were the worst on differential, now they're the best.

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:31 AM

So, I finally watched the Jets/Falcons game.

Sheldon looked like a monster, which hurt me on mah insides.

Nightfyre
10-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Mingo, Sorter. Mingo. We both loved him. We could have found a place for him on the field....

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Mingo, Sorter. Mingo. We both loved him. We could have found a place for him on the field....

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/youre-goddamn-right-gif.gif

Sheldon + Geno + Moore/Lemonier=Profit???

Sorter
10-11-2013, 12:39 AM
I admit, the Mingo pick provides just as much creativity.

10-11-2013, 01:22 AM

Best regards,

Sorter.

Bullshit. I hope he drives several broncos right into the ground on his way to the endzone.

Sorter
10-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Bullshit. I hope he drives several broncos right into the ground on his way to the endzone.

I hope he runs around them.

Less contact for Charles plz.

nstygma
10-11-2013, 01:38 AM
easy like 1 - 2 - 3

Also, Dorsey did a good thing releasing Dorsey and getting Devito. Devito has been a real spark plug for the DL. Smart player.I too like to release myself. Only, I get Doritos afterward, not Devitos. NTTAWWT

big nasty kcnut
10-11-2013, 02:05 AM
http://images.wikia.com/video-game-championship-wrestling/images/9/94/Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

AussieChiefsFan
10-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Because we've won our first five games./thread

Archie F. Swin
10-11-2013, 05:24 AM
I like this:

That's why Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman told reporters this week that, in truth, "this is a game of contested throws."

bevischief
10-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Best regards,

Sorter.

:)

ThatRaceCardGuy
10-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Fapped twice

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Ifs definitely not because of Alex Smith

BS. Smith has proven time and time again in his career that he has this frustrating knack for playing to the competition. The question is how he'll do when the defense doesn't do their job. He was bad against Tennessee, but he was also there when we needed him. Can he win shootouts? We'll see.

The big thing for me is, this will be a completely different team once Charles gets better blocking off the edges. Charles has been terrific this year. But his blocking has been complete dog shit.

trndobrd
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Technically, the Chiefs' pass defense ranks No. 4 in the league because it is giving up 198 yards per game. But more important, I think, is a metric that ESPN Stats & Information refers to as "disrupted dropbacks." It is a combination of sacks, passes defended, interceptions and batted balls, and the Chiefs are way out in front of the league in those kinds of big plays.

I would be curious to see how the Chiefs compared if this stat included holding penalties in pass protection and actual disrupted dropbacks when the QB must come out of his 3,5 or 7 step drop due to pressure.

MahiMike
10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I miss Todd Haley. This winning stuff is sooo boring.

58-4ever
10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
John Madden posts on CP. :)

or Yogi Berra

Chiefs Pantalones
10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
@KingJames: Kansas City what's good! Can't wait to see y'all tonight at the Arena. Let's go! And S/O Andy Reid and the Chiefs. #HeatlesAreHere

The Heat are in town to play a preseason game.

Titty Meat
10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
The Chiefs are 5-0 because they've played great defense against 5 mediocre teams.

trndobrd
10-11-2013, 10:49 AM
The Chiefs are 5-0 because they've played great defense against 5 mediocre teams.

Wouldn't a team that beats 'poor' and 'mediocre' teams be a 'good' team?

Ace Gunner
10-11-2013, 10:57 AM

He's good at the NT position, not really quick enough to play DE. Wilkerson is the spark plug in that defense imo. He had an outstanding game.

NinerDoug
10-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Because you didn't lose any of your first five games.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Charles, please pile drive a Bronco into the turf

Best regards,

Sorter.

FYP

Pasta Little Brioni
10-11-2013, 11:20 AM
5-0...Charles hasn't busted a long one yet and Bowe hasn't gotten work yet. Still strides that can be made which is exciting.

CoMoChief
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
There are 4 big reasons:

1. Chiefs are #3 in the NFL in time of possession. On average this season the Chiefs have had the ball for about 34min per game, compared to 26min for the opponent. That's an 8 min difference, which could be more than enough time for an opponent to put together 2 good scoring drives. But with the Chiefs ball controlling offense, those opportunities for the opponent never get to come to light. And the more we score on offense (if that ever gets going) the more the clock becomes this team's friend.

2. We all know how kickass the defense is playing this season. The major difference is Poe. After 4 seasons since switching to a 34, we finally have a legit NT. None of this Ron Edwards/Anthony Toribio/Shaun Smith/Kelly Gregg bullshit. We have a NT that can easily penetrate into the backfield and disrupt running AND passing plays. He's on a ****in mission and hopefully more great things are to come w/ Poe because this cat is only going to get better and stronger as he continues to mature. Can't ****in' wait, it's already been fun as shit watching the Dline. I don't think I can remember anyone thinking this ever since I've been on this board. Maybe a little bit of Jared Allen here and there but DeVito, Jackson, and especially Poe are doing the god damn thang this season. If they get pressure, everyone elses job on defense gets about 100% easier. Starts up front, and flows backwards. Defense is really simple. You attack the guy with the ball...wherever it goes...all the time. If your Dline can take up blockers, cause double/triple teams, then your linebackers are overload and get to the QB in about 2-3 seconds. We have the secondary to be able to cover man like glue for those few seconds. In the running game Berry has been a ****ing monster as a rover back bringing him down into the box. Our Dlinemen are great at plugging up holes and sealing off the backside and our LB's are great at filling gaps and attacking the ball. This Marcus Cooper guy keeps making plays at crucial points in the game. If he can keep that up his confidence is going to skyrocket and the game will slow down for him and he'll end up being a steal if he continues to work hard at his craft. Hell the guy is still pretty raw in terms of playing experience at the position considering he's playing the hardest skill position (and most picked on) at the highest level. I think it's important now heading into colder weather that this defense stays fresh and healthy. They're going to be hell to deal with in December when it's freezing and Arrowhead is loud and the ground is rock hard and they can't feel their hands, toes, eardrums are blastin, can't hear teammates, and having the hits hurt a 100x more. Hell teams may not reach the god damn endzone on us I think I'm getting a hardon thinking about it.

Special Teams.
Ryan Succop has been pretty money this season. I'm finally starting to warm up to him a little bit. It used to be I had to hold my breath everytime he ran out onto the field. Now not so much unless it's 50+ yds. But that's a tough kick for many kickers. Hope he continues to have a good season. Colquitt has bee the best punter in the NFL this season. What else is there to say? hopefully the guy gets healthy completely. We need him as bad as we need Jamaal Charles on offense. We must continue to win the field position game. That's the one most important thing that no one really talks about. Put this kickass QB sacking defense backed up on the opponents 5 yd line and make them go 95 yds etc. Continue to make plays when opportunities arise like recovering a muffed punt/fumble recoveries/block a punt etc. Keep finding ways to score on ST..KR/PR. We've been doing a lot of these things and in season's past we have not. Not on a scale like this. The ST was another area where not a lot of people talked about it because it was an obvious problem.

Last and most obvious...we're killing it in the turnover game. What are we like +11 or something? As long as Alex Smith protects the football we'll be okay. I'd much rather have him take the sack and lose the yards and have our stud punter pin them deep than to have Smith throw the ball away to the other team and put our defense back onto the field w/ little rest having to defense a short field. They went through that hell all season last year while we watched Cassel and company cough up the ball and throw picks like it was going out of style. Just have Smith move the chains, incorporate Charles in more outside runs and get his ass going. He needs to start hitting those homeruns. We keep this up and win the TO game, there's not going to be any game that we're not at least "in it" til the last minute. We have a chance to beat anyone, with the kind of football we're playing, but it is hugely important that we must strive like hell to get better on the offensive side of the ball. Keep scoring while preventing the other team from doing so = wins. It's the most simple formula in the book.