PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Fans using smart phone apps to make more noise

wazu
10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Saw a tweet from ArrowheadPride today regarding Seahawks fans using phone apps for noise. Apparently it was something that was promoted ahead of time. I found the article below from before the Seahawks game that lists a couple.

Regardless of records, it seems like a good way to just add noise for any game when wanting to get loud. The Air Horn app is pretty loud from an iPhone. The Crowd Noise app is kind of weak but less likely to annoy people.

==========================

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/seahawks-fans-break-world-record-crowd-noise-apps-find/

These apps will help Seahawks fans break a world record for crowd noise on Sunday

September 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm by Taylor Soper

It is going to be loud inside CenturyLink Field on Sunday evening — not just any kind of loud, but ear-splitting, world record-setting loud.
When the Seattle Seahawks welcome its rival San Francisco 49ers this weekend for Seattle’s NFL home-opener, 67,000 screaming fans will attempt to set a Guinness World Record for crowd noise.

The current record is 131.76 decibles, which was set on March 18, 2011 at a soccer match in Turkey. Seahawks fans have once hit 112 decibles, according to the team, so they’ll have to turn it up if they want to make the record book.

If you happen to be going to the game, here’s a little a trick to help the 12th Man increase the volume level: smartphone apps.
All you need to do is download a noise-making app — Crowd Noise App, Air Horn Sound, Noisemaker!, for example — and stick your phone in the air during the game.

Some of you — particularly evil 49ers fans — may think this is cheating. But according to Guinness’ guidelines, “any external instruments may be used by spectators to assist in generating a louder volume.” Guinness does prohibit venues from producing mechanical noise, but there’s nothing in there about individuals using electronics.

If you’re curious about exactly how loud the crowd is getting on Sunday, there are a few apps out there that record sound levels. Here are two good ones, based on reviews and ratings:

SPLnFFT Noise Meter (requires microphone)
Sound Meter+ (though it only records up to 130dB)

Now, the decibel reading on your app won’t be an exact measurement of the sound level based on Guinness’ rules. The organization requires the sound level to be measured with a Class 1 precision measuring noise level meter that is placed between 1.5 and 1.6 meters above the ground.
So, my recommendation is this: Leave the sound measurements to the experts, fire up a noise-making app and yell. The first of three official attempts to break the record will be during the 49ers’ first offensive possession, so make sure you’re in the stadium at kickoff, smartphone in hand, vocal chords ready to be used, eardrums ready to take a beating.

10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
I posted that the week the seahawks went for the record. Go ahead and download those apps and you will see how worthless they would be. LMAO

Cephalic Trauma
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Nothing against you, wazu, but this seems pretty dumb.

wazu
10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I posted that the week the seahawks went for the record. Go ahead and download those apps and you will see how worthless they would be. LMAO

Are they as good as yelling and beating on seats? No, but they definitely make significant noise in addition to those things.

wazu
10-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Nothing against you, wazu, but this seems pretty dumb.

Maybe. You could argue that all forms of trying to make random, meaningless noise are kind of dumb.

In58men
10-10-2013, 08:51 PM
NOT

A

SINGLE

WAS

GIVEN

/buck

TambaBerry
10-10-2013, 08:54 PM
thats stupid, might as well hand out air horns or bring in a jet engine to help

cdcox
10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Sounds adds in funny ways.

10 people are roughly twice as loud as one person.

So a crowd of 80K will be about 30 times as loud as one person. To get a sound twice as loud as a crowd of 80K, you would need a crowd 10 times larger or 800K.

Now if you have a device that is maybe 1/4 times as loud as a person it takes 100 of them to be as loud as one person. So if 100,000 of the devices were acting together, the devices acting alone could generate noise that was about 8 times louder than one person, or equivalent to about 1000 people.

So if you are at a crowd size of 80K and in order to get twice as loud you need 800K people, you can see that only adding 1000 people (equivalent to the devices) isn't going to help your cause by a significant amount.

Strongside
10-10-2013, 09:17 PM
We will hit 140 without their damn technology. I was reading some shit on the Seacock's forum and they don't think we'll get close. Hope they enjoy second place.

wazu
10-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Sounds adds in funny ways.

10 people are roughly twice as loud as one person.

So a crowd of 80K will be about 30 times as loud as one person. To get a sound twice as loud as a crowd of 80K, you would need a crowd 10 times larger or 800K.

Now if you have a device that is maybe 1/4 times as loud as a person it takes 100 of them to be as loud as one person. So if 100,000 of the devices were acting together, the devices acting alone could generate noise that was about 8 times louder than one person, or equivalent to about 1000 people.

So if you are at a crowd size of 80K and in order to get twice as loud you need 800K people, you can see that only adding 1000 people (equivalent to the devices) isn't going to help your cause by a significant amount.

Interesting. Any idea - if the goal isn't to double the sound, but to only add a few decibels - does it? Does it add one decibel? A tenth of a decibel? A hundredth?

cdcox
10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Interesting. Any idea - if the goal isn't to double the sound, but to only add a few decibels - does it? Does it add one decibel? A tenth of a decibel? A hundredth?

A very rough estimate of a 10th of a decibel.

Strongside
10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I'll get drunk and my phone will be dead by kickoff. Every time.

cdcox
10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Truthfully I think it will be very difficult to reach those sound levels (137 dB) in Arrowhead, regardless of the enthusiasm of the fans. Century Field has better acoustics and I think that will be an insurmountable advantage.

wazu
10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
A very rough estimate of a 10th of a decibel.

Okay, so if it's that difficult to raise a tenth of a decimal give or take, and we were at 125 DB for the Giants game, there is no possible way the record of 137 DB falls on Sunday no matter what fans do.

wazu
10-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Truthfully I think it will be very difficult to reach those sound levels (137 dB) in Arrowhead, regardless of the enthusiasm of the fans. Century Field has better acoustics and I think that will be an insurmountable advantage.

Beat me to it. Thanks for the breakdown. Good to know.

DJ's left nut
10-10-2013, 09:52 PM

Likewise.

We'll give it our all - but it's not happening.

I'd be happy if they got to the 120 range.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-10-2013, 09:53 PM
That 137 number is as bullshit as our 125

cdcox
10-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm not an acoustics expert by any means, but based on the mathematics of sound, it just looks like a very daunting task.

cdcox
10-10-2013, 09:54 PM

If the same instrument with the same calibration is used in both locations, the absolute number wouldn't matter.

Cephalic Trauma
10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not an acoustics expert by any means, but based on the mathematics of sound, it just looks like a very daunting task.

Logarithmic calculation of decibels FTW!

BossChief
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Likewise.

We'll give it our all - but it's not happening.

I'd be happy if they got to the 120 range.

Supposedly, it got to just under 125 during the Giants game.

BossChief
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM

I've been to some extremely loud games there that I bet would have had the record if everything was set up to mark the high decibel peaks.

I just hope the Raiders dont get blown out so that the game is close in the 4th quarter. That's when it will get crazy.

10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Okay, so if it's that difficult to raise a tenth of a decimal give or take, and we were at 125 DB for the Giants game, there is no possible way the record of 137 DB falls on Sunday no matter what fans do.

Exactly

Brock
10-10-2013, 10:11 PM
They have architecture on their side.

Cephalic Trauma
10-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Somebody pm X factor the decibel equation and see if he can figure it out.

NJChiefsFan
10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Somebody pm X factor the decibel equation and see if he can figure it out.

You mean figure out that it's math?

BWillie
10-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Any little bit helps

cdcox
10-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Any little bit helps

Eat beans before you go and fart. Same effect.

-King-
10-11-2013, 12:06 AM
You mean figure out that it's math?

LMAO LMAO

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
I've been to some extremely loud games there that I bet would have had the record if everything was set up to mark the high decibel peaks.

I just hope the Raiders dont get blown out so that the game is close in the 4th quarter. That's when it will get crazy.Dumb. So you think this stupid record is more important than the game?

Fuck the record. Blow them out.

10-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Dumb. So you think this stupid record is more important than the game?

**** the record. Blow them out.

Absolutely THIS.

crazycoffey
10-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Just spread the word; don't yell upward, yell forward or even downward. If everyone in the stadium does it, it changes the mathematics of sound. Slightly, but to arrowhead's advantage

AussieChiefsFan
10-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Damn CneturyLink Field.

I'm really not sure whether to expect this record or not. If Arrowhead reached 125 couple weeks ago then it's doable.

10-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Damn CneturyLink Field.

I'm really not sure whether to expect this record or not. If Arrowhead reached 125 couple weeks ago then it's doable.

We aren't going to reach it but we will try anyway. :D

crazycoffey
10-11-2013, 02:34 AM
Just spread the word; don't yell upward, yell forward or even downward. If everyone in the stadium does it, it changes the mathematics of sound. Slightly, but to arrowhead's advantage

In fact, if you think about it, the field has a slight curve (for water drainage) so use that to our advantage. Aim the sound if you voice just over the crest of that curve from where you are sitting. Between the 40s aim just over center of the field, every where else aim for far hash mark on the far side of the field from your seat. Unless you sit 20 yard line to the end zone, you aim for the far hash mark around the 20 yard mark. Let's really capitalize our open stadium acoustics

acesn8s
10-11-2013, 04:44 AM
Break out the megaphones

Mile High Mania
10-11-2013, 07:17 AM
I think you just wait for Denver @ KC and let nature take over... that place should be on fire with or without your iPhone airhorns.

hometeam
10-11-2013, 07:25 AM
To me it seems like apps reduce the sound.

You have to use a hand to hold your phone up and use the app. That's one less hand for cupping or beating on the seats.

Skyy God
10-11-2013, 07:32 AM
So, vuvuzelas?

lewdog
10-11-2013, 07:48 AM
We'll be in second place in the noise category after this weekend. Chiefs fans should be used to not being in first though.