PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF, Week 5

Hammock Parties
10-10-2013, 11:15 PM
The offense was a dumpster fire in this game.

1. Donald Stephenson gave up 6 pressures and had a -6.7 grade overall, worse than any game Fisher has played this year. This is not surprising after he was awful against the Giants. Wasted pick, unless he can play LT.

2. The Chiefs aren't fond of Junior Hemingway for whatever reason. He only got 6 snaps. The most he has played this year was 21. Dex always gets a ton of snaps. Meh.

3. Alex Smith was brutal under pressure in this game. 5 for 13 passing with two sacks. He was 4 for 14 throwing outside the numbers. That includes the 0-9 yard target area. That's disgusting.

The defense set Tennessee's dumpster on fire.

1. Dontari Poe had a 4.6 with 3 QB hurries, 1 sack, and 4 stops. That's beast mode. Poe now leads all interior linemen in sacks.

2. Tamba Hali picked up 5 more QB pressures. He still leads the league with 31. The #2 guy has 17. The top two OLBs on PFF? Hali and Houston.

3. Sean Smith did WORK in this game. No way he was letting the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick burn him. No sir. 8 targets, 2 completions, 18 yards. You want to shut down a shitty QB? Sean Smith is your guy.

Chiefspants
10-10-2013, 11:22 PM
3. Sean Smith did WORK in this game. No way he was letting the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick burn him. No sir. 8 targets, 2 completions, 18 yards. You want to shut down a shitty QB? Sean Smith is your guy.

How did Sean Smith do against Eli Manning?

-King-
10-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Donald Stephenson was worse than any game of Fishers?

PFF, ladies and gentlemen.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh yeah. Cooper was as good as Smith.

Marcus Cooper, playing 57 snaps off the bench, racked up his second straight positive coverage grade in as many weeks.

Both Cooper and Smith had comparable metrics as they each allowed two completions on eight targets with Cooper giving up a mere three more yards (21 to 18) while coming up with one interception as he took the ball away from Nate Washington on the back shoulder of the Titans’ receiver in the fourth quarter while Smith picked up two pass defenses.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Hali > Roos

In one of the better one-on-one matchups of the week, Michael Roos had to accept second place against Tamba Hali in his one of his worst performances in pass protection since 2011.

Roos surrendered seven pressures (one hit, six hurries; five including the hit to Hali) with most of the pressure coming abnormally to Roos’ outside shoulder.

Also surrendering one false start, Roos’ single game grade of -2.8 is his worst since Week 15 2010 (-3.6 at home to Houston) as a mark of how relentlessly consistent he has been in recent seasons for Tennessee.

Direckshun
10-10-2013, 11:40 PM
That's a Top Ten left tackle Hali took to school.

Outfuckingstanding.

Fritz88
10-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Tennessee had a good defense.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
10-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Is there any chance you could give us an assessment of the interior line?

Allen/Schwartz - Hudson - Asamoah

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2013, 12:54 AM
PFF

Completely useless.

Sorter
10-11-2013, 01:03 AM
PFF

Completely useless.

Their snap count data make peoples lives a lot easier, I'd assume.

WhiteWhale
10-11-2013, 06:38 AM
PFF

Completely useless.

You're right.

Knowing how many receptions allowed, attempts defended, completion % against, and TD's allowed are all 'useless' stats for DB's.

:drool:

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Oh yeah. Cooper was as good as Smith.

Smith has been a terrific pickup and absolutely worth the contract we gave him. Cooper being as good as Smith is much more a credit to how good Cooper has been.

the Talking Can
10-11-2013, 06:42 AM
man was i wrong about stephenson...is there any way to know if the OL was better as a unit?

the Talking Can
10-11-2013, 06:43 AM
why aren't we getting manningham more snaps?

is he a poor route runner? staff doesn't trust him for some reason?

-King-
10-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Probably cause we don't have him on the team. That makes it kinda hard to control his reps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs=Champions
10-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Its difficult, because hes been injured. Also he plays for a different team.

mdchiefsfan
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Probably cause we don't have him on the team. That makes it kinda hard to control his reps.
Posted via Mobile Device

:hmmm: LMAO

AussieChiefsFan
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Its difficult, because hes been injured. Also he plays for a different team.LMAO

Chiefs=Champions
10-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Darn it! 1!

Direckshun
10-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Hemingway just doesn't have enough of the coaching staff invested in him.

He's clearly our best receiver outside of Bowe/Avery.

But look who he's up against: Reid is heavily invested in McCluster and Jenkins, and Dorsey's invested in Chad Hall.

Hemingway just doesn't have anybody to go to bat for him right now. Sadly, I don't think he'll unseat McCluster, but I bet he outlasts Jenkins and Hall after the bye, when the games get harder and we're facing more must-wins.

Mav
10-11-2013, 11:03 AM

But look who he's up against: Reid is heavily invested in McCluster and Jenkins, and Dorsey's invested in Chad Hall.

Hemingway just doesn't have anybody to go to bat for him right now. Sadly, I don't think he'll unseat McCluster, but I bet he outlasts Jenkins and Hall after the bye, when the games get harder and we're facing more must-wins.

I think you might have that flipped a little bit. Dorsey is definitely the one invested in Jenkins. Andy Reids prior dealings with Hall is the reason hes a chief.

But. It still doesn't make sense. Nothing that we saw in the preseason, or in the chances he has received this season in the games played, suggests that anyone should be ahead of Manningway, errr, Hemmingham, errrrr, Hemmingway.

My bad, TTC fucked me all up hahaha.

the Talking Can
10-11-2013, 11:05 AM

derp

hemmingway

jesus, i have Alzheimers

Pasta Little Brioni
10-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Did Hall getting those early looks piss anyone else off lol?

Mr. Laz
10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Tennessee had a good defense.
Posted via Mobile Device
yep, top 5 i believe

Mr. Laz
10-11-2013, 11:35 AM

no, but i wondered what the hell was going on

Mav
10-11-2013, 11:39 AM

absolutely. and IM THE GUY WHO ADOPTED THIS DUDE.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-11-2013, 11:44 AM
That little turd got more looks than Bowe.

Buehler445
10-11-2013, 11:58 AM
derp

hemmingway

jesus, i have Alzheimers

More sex will fix that right up.

Buehler445
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Yes. Yes they did.

PH31LJ27JC25
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I look forward to this thread every week.

BlackHelicopters
10-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Didn't know we signed him.

Easy 6
10-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Some pretty surprising results, cant believe Stephenson came off worse than Fisher, i hate that Hemingway isnt getting looks over Dex... but the best part is Sean Smiff, that big sucker has been a killer get, gonna be all. over. demaryius...

Kiimo
10-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm really glad we drafted Donald Stephenson over Russell Wilson.

Anyong Bluth
10-11-2013, 02:08 PM
That's a Top Ten left tackle Hali took to school.

Outfuckingstanding.

I had questioned going into the season if Hali might have lost a step?

The guy is getting older and we know he doesn't take plays off, was the source of my concerns. That's going to take its toll over the number of seasons he's already played, obviously.
Of course having help by the other threats we have on defense is great, but I'm happy to hear he is producing so well when going up against top tier guys, because I don't expect his totals to be eye popping if he's getting a steady dose of double teams- but to honest with Poe, and Houston, I have a feeling he'll see the least of this unless a team has a terrible match up on him and feel their other lineman and blockers will fair better blocking 1 on 1 and giving help to whoever can't take Tamba on without help.

Anyong Bluth
10-11-2013, 02:33 PM

I just get this feeling that the coaches are so keyed in on quick guys that can use their speed to get separation quickly because we run so much 3 step drop and quick underneath routes that they're automatically inclined to think guys like Avery, and Dexter are going to get open faster for Alex to get them the ball in that short amount of time that they want from after the ball is snapped. The lines performance being much worse than many expected has also meant that we have probably had to limit seeing more in the play book in terms of 5 step and 7 step plays.
If Smith was getting the same protection Green enjoyed that would dictate a lot more freedom in setting up longer plays. Right now it looks more like the 1 and part of the 2nd year Trent was here, and I'm sure most everyone remembers that his QB play was shaky and struggled and conversely looked way better once the line got sorted out in its protection.

Which really raises a big question in my mind and something we haven't talked a lot about, which is the decision to change our blocking scheme away from zone blocking?
I've yet to see any positive evidence to suggest that ditching the zone blocking has paid off. Even Albert hasn't benefited from this change, and as a veteran that has performed quite well in the past, I feel it's just another glaring example of how the change in the blocking scheme has been a mistake.
Have we had trouble rushing between the tackles like we have this year without a lead fullback in recent memory? I don't think so. I understand we are using short passing as a supplement to essentially use as a running play, but they've been pretty bad in short yardage when simply lining up and trying to run between the tackles to pick up 2 or 3 yards to pick up the 1st down.

Anyong Bluth
10-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I think you might have that flipped a little bit. Dorsey is definitely the one invested in Jenkins. Andy Reids prior dealings with Hall is the reason hes a chief.

But. It still doesn't make sense. Nothing that we saw in the preseason, or in the chances he has received this season in the games played, suggests that anyone should be ahead of Manningway, errr, Hemmingham, errrrr, Hemmingway.

My bad, TTC fucked me all up hahaha.

What I think and what others probably are just as puzzled and frustrated by is the fact that it seems when Junior does get snaps and they actually target him, he does produce. Starting in the preseason, and even in the season opener. It seems like he's become an afterthought and I'm fine with them running Bowe, simply because he's your #1, and Avery has proven that he is a good option and making plays, but Junior isn't getting a lot of chances to even get out there and possibly make a play even though no one has stepped up and claimed the 3rd wr spot based on play in spite of getting a lot more opportunities than Hemingway has been in all but 1 of our regular season games.

Anyong Bluth
10-11-2013, 03:08 PM
That little turd got more looks than Bowe.

Found it interesting when Maas was on the radio and talking about how even if Smith is not great at hitting his guys outside the hashes that Bowe has not been helping himself or doing the things he should be on plays. Namely they have him running routes to the inside like a slant or crossing route, and Billy has watched the tape and said Bowe is committing the number error that all receivers are taught from day 1 when running inside routes. He is continually letting the defender get inside coverage and is positioned so Smith can't throw to him because he failed to get in front of his own guy coming across the field.
Also, talked about how Bowe's primary source of production are on routes we typically don't run a lot of in this offense. The curl route, come back routes, etc. Seems a lot was predicted on getting down field and he wasn't going to get that separation on routes continuing up the field, his ability to get open a lot of the time was when he came back to the ball, which is a bit sad to hear, as it seems he can't really get that separation and the routes he does are ones where wr are notoriously known for being able to cheat on and give a subtle bump on the defender just as they make their break to come back to the ball - giving his that little bit of separation and for a big body like Bowe, the ability to make that catch even if the defender recovers as he can hold on to the ball even if the hit is coming to try and break it up.

They didn't explain and I wish the host would have asked, then why not run more of these routes for him, and surely if Maas is noticing Bowe is screwing up on running those inside crossing routes, then why haven't the coaches pointed this out and have him correct it?

My only guess is some of Bowe's more productive routes are longer setup 5 & 7 step drops or off Play Action- essentially he can't get open and be as effective in the quick 3 stop routes?? Running a bit more bootleg may be a good idea to throw a new wrinkle into things- which we ran some bootleg in the Jacksonville game with some positive results, but I don't recall seeing much of since week 1.

aturnis
10-11-2013, 08:17 PM

I'd say you have that mixed up. Dorsey is invested in Jenkins b/c he traded for him, and Reid in Hall b/c he coached him in Philly.

aturnis
10-11-2013, 08:18 PM

My bad, TTC ****ed me all up hahaha.

Oh. Sorry for the repost.

Ragged Robin
10-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Is Hemingway in the doghouse or something? We seemed to feature Chad Hall in the opening drive and when Avery went down Jenkins went in... I think Andy + Dorsey are obsessed with little dudes who sort of run fast. Alex needs a big target who can go up and get it (Baldwin anyone? lol).

Easy 6
10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Is Hemingway in the doghouse or something? We seemed to feature Chad Hall in the opening drive and when Avery went down Jenkins went in... I think Andy + Dorsey are obsessed with little dudes who sort of run fast. Alex needs a big target who can go up and get it (Baldwin anyone? lol).

I'm starting to think its not Andy/Dorsey but Axl who prefers darters who can get that half second separation... nonetheless, he needs to start utilizing one of his premier weapons a bit more.

Its a trust thing imo, i'm pretty sure it'll get better as we go.

aturnis
10-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm starting to think its not Andy/Dorsey but Axl who prefers darters who can get that half second separation... nonetheless, he needs to start utilizing one of his premier weapons a bit more.

Its a trust thing imo, i'm pretty sure it'll get better as we go.

This.

He needs guys who can the separation he desires, and can also get YAC. We all know Bowe is capable of getting plenty of YAC, but doesn't get the separation Alexis prefers. Hemingway probably leaves something to be desired in running after the catch though. Also, Smyth does have a "big, go up and get it" guy. His name is Dwayne Bowe.

Saccopoo
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM

Nope.

I think that they are trying to make sure that opposing defenses are having to account for more than Bowe and the TE.

The ubiquitous "They" seem to state that Reid's first 15 offensive plays are completely diagramed/scripted, so it was obviously an effort to get defenses to lighten up on bringing up safeties and LB's into the tight box or CB's to stop hard jamming Bowe on the opposite side of the field. (Or that's at least how I see it.)

Hall didn't see much else for the remainder of the game, so it was an obvious "looky, see what we can do" type of thing.

KCrockaholic
10-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Nope.

I think that they are trying to make sure that opposing defenses are having to account for more than Bowe and the TE.

The ubiquitous "They" seem to state that Reid's first 15 offensive plays are completely diagramed/scripted, so it was obviously an effort to get defenses to lighten up on bringing up safeties and LB's into the tight box or CB's to stop hard jamming Bowe on the opposite side of the field. (Or that's at least how I see it.)

Hall didn't see much else for the remainder of the game, so it was an obvious "looky, see what we can do" type of thing.

this

KCrockaholic
10-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Don't be dumb.

Saul Good
10-12-2013, 08:42 AM
What would it take to get Maclin in KC next year? He would be the perfect WR for Smith...with Gonzalez at TE for his farewell tour.

aturnis
10-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Nope.

Except they could have done that with literally any receiver not named Bowe and Hall where he belongs in the sidelines. Also, while Hall was in the game, Howe seemed to have his man beat, so I really done think Bowes absence has a terrible amount to do with scheming defenses. More to do with Bowe not being Smyth's kind of receiver and the fact that a large amount of his routes are either decoys, or in Smyth's no no zone outside the numbers.

Think this has more to do with Chad Hall being one of Reid's pet projects.

Mav
10-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Except they could have done that with literally any receiver not named Bowe and Hall where he belongs in the sidelines. Also, while Hall was in the game, Howe seemed to have his man beat, so I really done think Bowes absence has a terrible amount to do with scheming defenses. More to do with Bowe not being Smyth's kind of receiver and the fact that a large amount of his routes are either decoys, or in Smyth's no no zone outside the numbers.

I can only believe this has to be a try out to find a solid slot guy. Clearly, McCluster is not that. Just surprised that it wasn't more of Jennings, or more logically, and deservingly, Hemmingway.

mcaj22
10-12-2013, 02:41 PM
What would it take to get Maclin in KC next year? He would be the perfect WR for Smith...with Gonzalez at TE for his farewell tour.

Maclin has like 100 injuries every 5 minutes. No thanks.

Skyy God
10-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Probably a 1 year, incentive laden contract.

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2013, 04:01 PM

If Andy and Dorsey were on the same Page about wanting to get Smith at QB were they totally blind to Bowe not being a good fit for the offense and Smith's limitations?

Seriously, Dorsey came in and signed Bowe when it looked like he would be out of KC if Scott was still around. That's a sizable chunk of cap money. I like Dwayne, and we all know he's shown he can be a legit #1 wr on the NFL level. But, if you need guys that are quick in separation, that's not his thing. He's shown the ability to muscle against defenders and go up and get the ball - oddly enough seeming to make circus catches with general ease, but turn around and drop rather routine catches at times. If we have a passing scheme that doesn't develop longer plays to get him open much, and you know Alex is the QB that's just gonna toss the ball his way to make a play because he doesn't want to risk the interception, then what is his value versus cost to the team?

It's not a knock on Bowe, he clearly can be a weapon in other types of offenses, but I don't think it was thought out that much of what his skillset translates into our current offensive makeup.

Of course, things can change- if the line improves in pass blocking, the playbook opens up. Just as getting more familiar with one another will or should mean the offense can run effectively and build on that cohesion.
I'm not pointing to this as some expectation of similar results in scoring, but look at Denver last year and now in year 2. They didn't add to their offense sans Welker, and have been hit with a number of big injuries along the line. Yet, a year under their belt and getting everyone on the same Page, clicking with your guys on their timing and simply having better situational awareness has transformed things into a major way.
We have a line that is leaning a new offense, blocking scheme, and really playing together for the 1st time next to one another- when our right side has been injured and subbing in guys still so they still haven't had a lot of time to play as a unit. Not to mention the normal growing pains of a rookie that's starting at right tackle.
Smith is learning a new offense and has no one that he's previously thrown to or a history with- same goes for everyone of our WR and RB. Our QBs favorite target is the TE, and due to a freak rash of injuries, we are now on our 5 and 6th TE. Guys we literally picked up off the street and are learning the offense on the fly.

So, I temper my criticism of the offense a bit like when Trent Green first got here. It was ragtag, and the results were pretty horrendous that 1st season or 2. My point being, is that there is a process of getting this offense improved, and that right now it seems to be handcuffed for a multitude of reasons. I am encouraged by things like our ability to spread the ball around to so many guys - I think the lowest number of guys with a reception in a game is 6 or 7. That's a true sign of a QBs football IQ, in having a firm grasp of quickly surveying the field and knowing where to go with the ball to our open man. Cassel could almost never get a read on his options past his first 2 targets. Sure, there are negative parts of Smiths game, but he has shown poise, knows how to read a defense way better and quickly, exhibited leadership especially in 4th quarter drives that were key to winning games, and toughness and some elusive speed to pick up vital yards and 1st downs with his legs when needed.

As piss poor as they played in some respects last week, they went on the road, facing a top 5 - 10 defense, and a team with a realistic chance at making the playoffs and came away with a win.
It's a good confidence builder, and you don't hear anyone on this team talk about some self inflated sense of their performance. To the opposite, most of the guys when asked by the media seem pretty much determined that they need to improve on this or that, and know they have to focus and dedicate themselves to getting better and eliminate their mistakes.

That starts with the Andy and the coaches, and the players enthusiasm for playing for them and with one another as a team is where this squad keeps level headed and stays hungry to get better and committed to always improve their performance.

-King-
10-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Maclin has like 100 injuries every 5 minutes. No thanks.

He missed 5 games in his career before the ACL injury. What are you talking about?

milkman
10-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Hey Bluth.

Do you ever not write a damn novella when you post?

DaFace
10-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Hey Bluth.

No kidding.

http://i.imgur.com/vJ2T1OC.jpg

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Sorry.

Better?

Shox
10-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I think Andy + Dorsey are obsessed with little dudes who sort of run fast.

Andy has T.O. Syndrome. With all the torment T.O. put Reid through, whenever he sees a big, tall WR it causes him to relive the entire T.O. era.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-13-2013, 07:59 AM
rico jr. up in here

BlackHelicopters
10-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Maclin has a hard time getting out if his own way.

rico
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM
rico jr. up in here

That's right!!!!!!!!

http://frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/leave-britney-alone45912506089353374.jpeg

LEAVE ANYONG BLUTH ALONE!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Better?

http://www.maniacworld.com/stop-picking-on-britney.jpg

NOOOOO!!!!!! KEEP WRITING NOVELLAS, BLUTH!!!!!!

MagicHef
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
So, they've done the KC-OAK game, and they attributed the TD to Dunta Robinson, even though Cooper was clearly in man coverage on Moore. Watching the replay, I'm not even sure Robinson was on the field.

I thought they had multiple people double checking this stuff?

MagicHef
10-14-2013, 10:38 AM
So, they've done the KC-OAK game, and they attributed the TD to Dunta Robinson, even though Cooper was clearly in man coverage on Moore. Watching the replay, I'm not even sure Robinson was on the field.

I thought they had multiple people double checking this stuff?

Oops, they fixed it. Magically, their coverage ratings didn't change though.

Direckshun
10-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Hey Bluth.

No kidding.

Boo fucking hoo.

:rolleyes:

patteeu
10-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Sorry.

Better?

Please elaborate.

rico
10-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Please elaborate.

Thistastic!!!!!