PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Jason Collins, Openly Gay and Still Unsigned

Namor40
10-11-2013, 02:59 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/sports/basketball/jason-collins-openly-gay-and-still-unsigned-waits-and-wonders.html?hp&_r=0

“That’s how I still consider myself,” he said Wednesday in his first interview since N.B.A. training camps opened last month without his participation. “Sure, I’ve picked up another title. But I feel that’s always who I’m going to be — that person who sets a good example, who represents the sport and is an asset to my team and a role model for other players.”

The question Collins has to ponder is why he has not been signed as a free agent. Is it because he is at best a marginal player with modest career statistics (3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds a game) nearing the end of his career, one who would cost more than a younger player based on the league’s collectively bargained pay scale? Or is there something more sinister at work related to the new role he would play?

Collins did not dismiss the latter notion or address it.

“You don’t want to speculate — I don’t go there,” he said while picking at a bowl of greens in a cafe in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles, near where he lives. But while conceding he would be at the lower end of a team’s depth chart at this stage of his career, he admitted being perplexed because, he said, “I feel there are players in the league right now that, quite frankly, I’m better than.”

As teams firmed up their rosters in late summer, Collins’s agent, Arn Tellem, received inquiries from at least three teams in the market for a reserve big man who understood positional defense. One of them, the Detroit Pistons, settled on Josh Harrellson, a third-year player who cost the Pistons more than $500,000 less than the nearly $1.4 million Collins would have earned — the minimum salary for a player with his experience.

Several league executives said the number of teams interested in Collins had shrunk because of new penalties for teams exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

Brooklyn was thought to be a potential landing site because Collins spent roughly half his career with the Nets when they played in New Jersey, where he was a trusted teammate of Jason Kidd, now the team’s coach. But with the Nets’ soaring payroll, Collins would have cost the team almost four times his salary in taxes.

Collins acknowledged that signing younger players would be more prudent financially, but he asked how experience could be discounted in such a competitive sport.

“In my mind it shouldn’t be about that,” he said, referring to minimizing costs. “The N.B.A. is for the best players, not for the most affordable players. There isn’t a professional athlete that doesn’t want to play 12, 13 years. What I did when I was younger was look up to the guys like Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning who played over a decade. What did they do to last that long? A lot of it is keeping your body in shape, keeping your mind sharp, staying hungry. You should always want guys around like that to set that example, in my mind.”

big nasty kcnut
10-11-2013, 03:06 AM
It's because he not that great a player.

Namor40
10-11-2013, 03:07 AM

You mean paying a guy a million dollars per point he scores isn't a bargain? :banghead::banghead:

Rasputin
10-11-2013, 03:59 AM
This thread is gay nttawwt but who gives a shit?

Consistent1
10-11-2013, 04:44 AM
You run into people every day that you would never guess, so at least people that are open deserve respect for honesty.

a pp roach
10-11-2013, 04:57 AM
You run into people every day that you would never guess, so at least people that are open deserve respect for honesty.

because they all owe us the right to know their sexual orientation

oldandslow
10-11-2013, 05:06 AM
If J. Collins was at least a Norris Cole or Blake Griffin we would not be having this discussion.

He is not really even a serviceable backup.

WhiteWhale
10-11-2013, 06:27 AM

He's a 7 foot banger.

Guys like that have a role on almost any team in the NBA.

His injury history and age are probably a factor, but so is the potential side-show the media will create.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-11-2013, 06:29 AM
If J. Collins was at least a Norris Cole or Blake Griffin we would not be having this discussion.

He is not really even a serviceable backup.

Then explain Kerry Rhodes

El Jefe
10-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Let's just disregard the fact that he's beyond his prime and not a very good player. A couple rebounds and some points is what to expect. He's old, and he's not very good. I wouldn't sign him, and it's not because he's gay.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 06:44 AM

This.

The Jason Collins story holds a little more weight just because Rhodes not being signed anywhere is just impossible to figure out.

vailpass
10-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Because he sucks

GloryDayz
10-11-2013, 06:54 AM
He's a 7 foot banger.

Guys like that have a role on almost any team in the NBA.

His injury history and age are probably a factor, but so is the potential side-show the media will create.

I see what you did there.

blaise
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Kerry Rhodes makes Jason Collins a better player somehow?

blaise
10-11-2013, 06:58 AM
This.

The Jason Collins story holds a little more weight just because Rhodes not being signed anywhere is just impossible to figure out.

How?

Demonpenz
10-11-2013, 07:30 AM
You want to be gay, dis what you get.

patteeu
10-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Old guy at the end of NBA bench is replaced by young guy with upside. Shocking.

If we want to test the willingness of NBA franchises to have openly gay players on their team, we need a better test case.

patteeu
10-11-2013, 07:44 AM
This.

IMO, Kerry Rhodes says a lot about the NFL, but it doesn't tell us anything about the NBA or the Jason Collins situation.

Rausch
10-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I was lead to believe the best thing about being gay was always being a free agent...:shrug:

patteeu
10-11-2013, 08:02 AM
I was lead to believe the best thing about being gay was always being a free agent...:shrug:

:LOL:

rabblerouser
10-11-2013, 08:33 AM

but...it's a better story if it's because he's a gay.

Jerm
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
No team wants that media circus around them...can't say I blame them esp. for such a mediocre player.

vailpass
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
but...it's a better story if it's because he's a gay.

So either way it's because he sucks...

Frazod
10-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Do I give a shit?

Let's see....... :hmmm:

Nope

blaise
10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Terrell Owens - Openly straight and still unsigned by an NFL team.

rabblerouser
10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
So either way it's because he sucks...

:hmmm:

yep, pretty much.

rabblerouser
10-11-2013, 08:51 AM

also like 43 years old and a team cancer.

what's the deal w/Kerry Rhodes?? He likes greasy man-meat??

rabblerouser
10-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Do I give a shit?

Let's see....... :hmmm:

Nope

me neither, but it's still laughable that people care so much that we're discussing it here??

patteeu
10-11-2013, 09:12 AM

He's making an indirect point, not literally complaining that a straight guy can't get a job in the NFL.

rabblerouser
10-11-2013, 09:14 AM
He's making an indirect point, not literally complaining that a straight guy can't get a job in the NFL.

the indirect point being that two overpaid and over-the-hill athletes are unemployed?

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 09:21 AM
IMO, Kerry Rhodes says a lot about the NFL, but it doesn't tell us anything about the NBA or the Jason Collins situation.

I think it speaks to sports culture in general. It doesn't explain jason Collins, but it certainly adds bait to the discussion on whether Collins could easily be an end of the bench player for a bad team. Or if he isn't given that opportunity because of his orientation.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
He has great hands and knows how to get to the hole.

ARROW2
10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
He is a scrub and has always been a scrub, both he and his brother are scrubs...

Jason Collins did does and will always suck......oh...wait....that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean......he is a scrub...

dirk digler
10-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Meh. I think it has more to do with paying the guy $4 million dollars when you can get that same production for a 1/4 of the price.

ARROW2
10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
He is an old scrub too.....He thinks he is better than a lot of players? Really? Dude, you had your 15 minutes of fame....now have a nice retirement...

10-11-2013, 09:40 AM
I'll agree that Jason Collins sucks, but he's sucked for the last decade. The timing is interesting, if anything. Hard to say if it means anything because he really does suck. If he was a better role player or fringe starter, I still don't think he has a job. JMO.

patteeu
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
the indirect point being that two overpaid and over-the-hill athletes are unemployed?

Pretty much. The point being the same one you were making about Terrell Owens, i.e. that there are plenty of possible reasons why Jason Collins doesn't have an NBA job that have nothing to do with him being gay.

10-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Kerry Rhodes just turned 31, has started the majority of his career, and had a large role with the Cardinals last year. He was also considered a good player in 2012 by some (PFF).

blaise
10-11-2013, 09:48 AM
I think it speaks to sports culture in general. It doesn't explain jason Collins, but it certainly adds bait to the discussion on whether Collins could easily be an end of the bench player for a bad team. Or if he isn't given that opportunity because of his orientation.

It doesn't seem to me that the two have much to do with each other, really.

blaise
10-11-2013, 09:49 AM

The subject of the thread is Jason Collins. You could make a reasonable argument that T.O. could make a similar contribution to a team as Jason Collins would make to an NBA team.

10-11-2013, 09:50 AM

lol. Just ignoring a discussion worth having. Does it really bother you that gays are considered a marginalized group in this country?

9er guy
10-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Jason Collins is mediocre at best. Too old. Too slow.

10-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Yes. They both aren't relatively young, black millionaire athletes who play an extremely popular and profitable sport where players are predominantly black. Neither were seeking employment in a professional league consisting of mostly white owners over the age of 50.

You definitely can't draw any comparisons.

The biggest difference is that Rhodes is just rumored to be gay... not the sport they play.

blaise
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
lol. Just ignoring a discussion worth having. Does it really bother you that gays are considered a marginalized group in this country?

What discussion? If you feel the comparisons between Collins and Rhodes are many go ahead and detail them. They're in different points of their career, they play different sports, they have different locker room dynamics. One wrote an article for a publication. I'm not stopping you from arguing anything. What the hell are you talking about.
The floor is yours - go ahead and explain how these two athletes are linked in the many ways you must know about.

Or you can just make vague comparisons.

blaise
10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes. They both aren't relatively young, black millionaire athletes who play an extremely popular and profitable sport where players are predominantly black. Neither were seeking employment in a professional league consisting of mostly white owners over the age of 50.

You definitely can't draw any comparisons.

The biggest difference is that Rhodes is just rumored to be gay... not the sport they play.

That's not much of a comparison.

lawrenceRaider
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM
No team wants that media circus around them...can't say I blame them esp. for such a marginal player.

FYP. If Collins had come out a decade ago, it would be one thing. For him to come out when his career was basically over, it smacks of needing attention. I wouldn't be surprised if Collins made the announcement in hopes that some team would sign him to keep from looking homophobic.

Kerry Rhodes on the other hand is a mystery. Guys a very good player, and there are teams who need good safety play.

10-11-2013, 10:11 AM
That's not much of a comparison.

Blind dumbass

Prison Bitch
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
At least he's cool enough to go to Democratic Party fundraisers wiht Michelle Obama.

lcarus
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
He used to be a pretty serviceable big man. That was like 5 years ago though

blaise
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Blind dumbass

I'm sorry, my interactions with you have been limited. I wasn't that familiar with you as a poster. I didn't realize you were a low quality poster. My apologies for entering into the conversation with you under the assumption you could make coherent points.

Again, I apologize. Carry on with your, "posting."

patteeu
10-11-2013, 10:32 AM
He used to be a pretty serviceable big man. That was like 5 years ago though

Are you talking about basketball or do you know the guy?

lcarus
10-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Wouldn't you like to know!

vailpass
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM

:D

Namor40
10-11-2013, 11:54 AM

http://freddyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/kerry-rhodes-gay-media-takeout.jpg

http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/kerry-rhodes-gay-love-bottom-3.jpg

Rausch
10-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Free country.

You believe what you want...

BlackHelicopters
10-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Doubt some sort of grand conspiracy is going on.

kysirsoze
10-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Doubt some sort of grand conspiracy is going on.

I don't think it's a grand conspiracy. It could easily be the result of institutionalized discrimination from the owners all the way to the players, and even fans. The Jason Collins example seems a little weak because of his age and production, but it is a tad strange Kerry Rhodes hasn't had much interest. Is it a clear example of discrimination? Not exactly. Do I think he would have been signed somewhere if he was straight? Yes. I don't know, but I think he would, based on what I've seen of his production. Sometime soon we're likely to have a more clear example with a younger player, but I think it's unlikely that it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

Pitt Gorilla
10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
IMO, Kerry Rhodes says a lot about the NFL, but it doesn't tell us anything about the NBA or the Jason Collins situation.Agree. Collins probably shouldn't be signed. Rhodes really should be.

kcxiv
10-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Collins came out when he was at the end of his career. He was a deep bench guy anyways. Why sign him?

I don't see the big deal. He was just about out as it is.

Just Passin' By
10-11-2013, 02:24 PM

With regards to Kerry Rhodes, there are better NFL players still out there and unsigned.

Imon Yourside
10-11-2013, 02:44 PM
It sucks to suck sometimes.

patteeu
10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
With regards to Kerry Rhodes, there are better NFL players still out there and unsigned.

Maybe. Who do you have in mind?

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Even if there are, there's no good reason that anybody can come up with for why he's not signed somewhere. Since Rhodes is keeping his mouth shut, I almost wonder if it's teams boycotting him or him afraid to come back.

Frazod
10-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Even if there are, there's no good reason that anybody can come up with for why he's not signed somewhere. Since Rhodes is keeping his mouth shut, I almost wonder if it's teams boycotting him or him afraid to come back.

IMO, neither one of these guys brings enough to the table to entice a team to deal with the inevitable Tebowish media shitstorm.

The End.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
IMO, neither one of these guys brings enough to the table to entice a team to deal with the inevitable Tebowish media shitstorm.

The End.

Kerry Rhodes could easily start for a team, and is better than most backups. The idea that there would be that much media attention is exactly the problem.

loochy
10-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Other Sports Jason Collins, Openly Gay and Still Unsigned

Jason Collins, Too Old and Still Sucks

Frazod
10-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Kerry Rhodes could easily start for a team, and is better than most backups. The idea that there would be that much media attention is exactly the problem.

Nice case of those dickweeds eating one of their own. Hoardes of those jackals circling, constant scrutiny, waiting for that first anti-gay remark, feigned outrage cannons loaded and ready to fire.

Who wants to deal with that shit?