PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Charles needs fewer carries

Hammock Parties
10-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Eeeeesh. We're going to kill him.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/13/4551738/battered-charles-cant-continue.html

Blood trickles down his left shin as Jamaal Charles explains to a reporter why he’s wearing only a towel.

“Got these cuts,” he says, rubbing his arm and shoulder. “Can’t put clothes on just yet.”

Charles is headed to the trainer’s room soon. Bandages will keep him clean, and protect his clothes. He just got out of the cold tub. Hopefully the swelling will stay down this way. Too early to know for sure.

Here’s what the Chiefs’ most irreplaceable player does know, though: No new blisters on his toes, which means the bottom of his feet aren’t more gruesome than before the Chiefs’ 24-7 win over the Raiders. By now, that qualifies as good news.

“You don’t want to look at my toes right now,” Charles says with a smile.

Charles’ pain is the collateral damage of a still-undefeated team without enough offense. This team is built around a vicious defense, and with quarterback Alex Smith playing a second bad game in a row the Chiefs have no choice but to find out how much Charles can take.

The risk is in finding out.

The Chiefs are climbing the metaphorical mountain, which is great, but they’d be better off not turning Charles into their metaphorical Sherpa. This is the uncomfortable reality that, understandably, nobody wants to talk about in the glow of a season with building promise.

But with the Chiefs managing just 216 yards against the Raiders, and Charles accounting for 128 of them … imagine this offense without its only real playmaker. Coach Andy Reid and quarterback Smith have always been at their best when the ball is spread around, and finding ways to do that going forward is critical for the rest of the Chiefs season.

Charles is one of the NFL’s most dynamic players, a wicked combination of championship track speed and small-town Texas toughness. He is running for 5.58 yards per carry, the highest mark in league history, and the Chiefs are right to want everything they can get out of him.

“He’s so fast, people try to look at him like a track guy, like some other backs in the league,” says Brandon Flowers, who joined the Chiefs with Charles out of the 2008 draft. “But he grounds and pounds and wears you down. He does it all in one. You don’t need thunder and lightning. You got both of them with J-Charles. He carries this team, man. He carries this team.”

But they should also be afraid of asking him to do so much of the carrying.

Charles entered this week’s games as the AFC’s leading rusher. Against the Raiders, he ran for 78 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries. He caught five more passes for 50 yards, which means he now has more than half the team’s combined rushes and receptions.

He’s on pace for 392 touches, which would be more than anybody in the league over the last five years except for Arian Foster (393 in 2010) and Chris Johnson (408 in 2009). Coincidence or not, each player’s production dropped in the seasons following all that work.

Again, the Chiefs are winning games and as far as these things go, figuring out how much to use one of the game’s best backs is a good problem to have. And some of this is positive: Charles’ carries have ballooned in the fourth quarter as the Chiefs protect leads.

But some of this is on the play-calling, too. Charles went up the middle on two of the Chiefs’ last three plays before halftime. There’s always the possibility of him breaking a long run, but realistically, this is just two extra and unnecessary opportunities for the Raiders to hurt Charles.

Basically, the Chiefs need some other ways to move the ball. Specifically, they need better from Smith, the offensive line and receivers.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/13/4551738/battered-charles-cant-continue.html#storylink=cpy

Mile High Mania
10-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Guess you're going to have to mix in Davis...

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 09:08 AM
He's our offense no doubt

Rausch
10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
He’s on pace for 392 touches, which would be more than anybody in the league over the last five years except for Arian Foster (393 in 2010) and Chris Johnson (408 in 2009).

How the fuck is this possible while minimizing his impact on the game?...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Jesus. This team badly needs a RB2.

Simply Red
10-15-2013, 09:29 AM
cut your toenails you disgusting bastard.

Simply Red
10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
he needs Epsom salt, I hope these coaches recommend that, I'd have to believe they've encouraged that.

the Talking Can
10-15-2013, 09:37 AM
our QB could take the load off...if he didn't suck

Strongside
10-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Josh Vernier was talking about this article last night. Says "What should we save him for?" And I tend to agree. Jamaal is going to be 27 years old soon...RB's don't last. We have to strike while the iron is hot and milk this season to it's full potential. While he should be getting a day or two off every week, I don't think we should cut into his touches. He is a freak and he's tough enough to take it.

MahiMike
10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Knile Davis time.

Nightfyre
10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
My concern wouldn't be how he will hold up next year, but how he will hold up by the time the playoffs roll around.

Simply Red
10-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Knile Davis time.

this guy still may be good, eventually. I still have some faith left.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 09:41 AM
More Dex!!!

ChiefsLV
I cringe every time Davis carries just waiting for him to fumble

BlackHelicopters

You said load...hahaha

Simply Red
10-15-2013, 09:42 AM
this guy still may be good, eventually. I still have some faith left.

Not based from anything he's shown us wearing Chief's red, ... Yet!

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Not based from anything he's shown us wearing Chief's red, ... Yet!

He'll break off a big one

Simply Red
10-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I cringe every time Davis carries just waiting for him to fumble

http://i.imgur.com/MzIFEZl.jpg

InChiefsHeaven
10-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Geez...they gotta fix this offense. You can't just depend on one guy. Seems like we started out better this year, but we're getting stagnant on offense. I don't wanna hear this shit about TE's being injured. FFS...we got players on this team. Not world beaters, but guys who can take some of that load off of Charles.

Andy needs to figure something out soon.

beach tribe
10-15-2013, 09:50 AM
At this pace this will be the last season we see Charles in top form.
Something has to be done.

CaliforniaChief
10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
It's obvious they need to fix this NOW. The Texans are a hard-hitting defense and I expect they're going to really pack it in 5-10 yards from the LOS.

Whether they have faith or not, they've got to push Knile Davis out of the boat and ride him more.

Simply Red
He'll break off a big one

it's coming soon, I guarantee you this.

BigCatDaddy
Should have kept Draughn.

beach tribe
10-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Cyrus Gray needs more carries.
Shit, Dexter, Davis anybody.
No reason for this.

Iconic
10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Why don't we ever use Cyrus Gray. CP had him hyped like he was the next big thing.

Direckshun
10-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Cyrus Gray runs really well.

This is one of those things I really just stew about, wonder why he doesn't get more action, and the Chiefs will stubbornly make their mistakes we all know they're making, while they're making them, until the inevitable occurs.

Just get Gray the ball in space, ONCE. Let him rip off a 16 yard gain. Reid'll give him some touches out of the backfield at that point, and boom, RB2.

Until then.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Well he is on pace for like 100 catches. Sub 300 carries is less than 20 a game. The catches are bulking the load up. Any less carries, we'd be crying for more.

BlackHelicopters
10-15-2013, 10:00 AM
This offensive mirage is going to end soon if we don't find some playmakers.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 10:01 AM
We know from the past Bowe can make plays, so can Avery...At this point it's the QB folks.

ChiefGator
10-15-2013, 10:04 AM
We know from the past Bowe can make plays, so can Avery...At this point it's the QB folks.

It's a little bit of everything. I didn't get to attend the game, but when they would show the receivers running routes, noone was open. We need ways to get people open, like we did with Avery with the underneath routes. Something can help that, better coaching, better routes, etc..

And Smith isn't going to sling it into a covered receiver and hope for the best. So, we do need more separation than we have gotten over the last couple years.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 10:09 AM
It's a little bit of everything. I didn't get to attend the game, but when they would show the receivers running routes, noone was open. We need ways to get people open, like we did with Avery with the underneath routes. Something can help that, better coaching, better routes, etc..

And Smith isn't going to sling it into a covered receiver and hope for the best. So, we do need more separation than we have gotten over the last couple years.

I'm talking about the open passes he should make....like the one Avery had his guy beat for a TD that was overthrown and all the short passes sailing over yonder.

Mr. Laz
our running game doesn't start running until the 4th quarter anyway

give cyrus gray some runs early in the game

WhiteWhale

Partially yes.

The OL is not protecting well and our offensive playcalling is terrible. Alex is getting help being shitty.

It's never one guy. Blaming one guy is scapegoating. He has his share of blame though for sure.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Partially yes.

The OL is not protecting well and our offensive playcalling is terrible. Alex is getting help being shitty.

Some on the OL are complete abortions...no doubt. Que the gif...

Nightfyre
10-15-2013, 10:14 AM
One thing I think we should do is bring Sherman in on passing situations a little more. Charles probably takes the most punishment when he is picking up a blitzer at full speed and absorbing the blow rather than dealing the blow. Plus Sherman isn't exactly dog-meat catching the football. (granted, he's not Charles, but still.)

Omaha
10-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Davis is a huge disappointment to me. They really need someone to give Charles a rest, but nobody else on the team seems to want to run like it counts. I hate to say it, but McCluster has looked like the 2nd best RB on the team so far.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
derp,derp ... Bowe and Avery have made a play at some point in the past so it's not them ... derp,derp

consistency

QB,OL,WR are not being consistent

A wr gets open 1 play and then goes 3 plays without getting open again. 3 plays without getting open means it's time to punt.

The if a single lineman misses a block on any given play then it probably doesn't work. If the 5 Olinemen only have 1 bad play each out of 5 it still means that most of our plays are screwed.

QB misses on one of the plays that the WR does get open then were fucked for another 3 plays.

Watch the offense, the players are taking turns screwing up and it's killing us.

missed block here, dropped pass there, bad pass after that, nobody opened next,Penalties :banghead:

Mr. Laz
10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
One thing I think we should do is bring Sherman in on passing situations a little more. Charles probably takes the most punishment when he is picking up a blitzer at full speed and absorbing the blow rather than dealing the blow. Plus Sherman isn't exactly dog-meat catching the football. (granted, he's not Charles, but still.)
good point

Sherman is decent at catching a pass so he can take a few blocks and receptions off of Charles

The Franchise
10-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Cyrus Gray runs really well.

This is one of those things I really just stew about, wonder why he doesn't get more action, and the Chiefs will stubbornly make their mistakes we all know they're making, while they're making them, until the inevitable occurs.

Just get Gray the ball in space, ONCE. Let him rip off a 16 yard gain. Reid'll give him some touches out of the backfield at that point, and boom, RB2.

Until then.

Maybe Gray isn't succeeding at pass blocking.

mr. tegu
10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
It would also help to run a fullback in front of him more often so that the first hit is more likely to come from a safety or cornerback.

Also, run him outside the tackles more. His speed can't do a whole lot of good when there are no holes in the interior line to run through.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Maybe Gray isn't succeeding at pass blocking.I wonder whether Gray just can't handle the entire playbook

seems to me he is a pretty decent runner ... little power,little speed.

Mav
10-15-2013, 11:03 AM
The offensive talent on the chiefs, is very thin.

At EVERY POSITION. yes, including that one where I am supposed to defend him, and tell everyone that he is great,just the players around him suck.

For as talented as the defense is, the offense is not.

There are 3 guys on the offense, you could say that start on every team in the league.

Bowe, Charles, Albert, (albert on some would play right tackle)

that's not good.

Mav
10-15-2013, 11:04 AM
I wonder whether Gray just can't handle the entire playbook

seems to me he is a pretty decent runner ... little power,little speed.

They should of drafted jonathan franklin over knile davis, and the problem would be solved.

Rausch
10-15-2013, 11:06 AM
They should of drafted jonathan franklin over knile davis, and the problem would be solved.

Get the fuck out...

Deberg_1990
10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Once again, this is what Andy Reid does. nothing new. My opinion on RBs is you ride that horse until it falls over and dies. Replace.....wash, rinse, repeat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Alex is responsible for 1330 in the air and 190 on the ground.

Jamaal Charles is responcible for 300 in the air and 475 on the ground.

So Alex is almost 1/3 of the running game and Jamaal is almost 1/4 of the passing game.

You don't have to like Alex, but there's no question that Jamaal isn't carrying the offense (such as it is), Alex is.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Watch Charles during the game, he tries to take himself out all the time and the Coaches tell him tough shit, that he has to stay in.

Nightfyre
10-15-2013, 11:12 AM

So Alex is almost 1/3 of the running game and Jamaal is almost 1/4 of the passing game.

You don't have to like Alex, but there's no question that Jamaal isn't carrying the offense (such as it is), Alex is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the case against incest.

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the case against incest.

Possibly..but I really wasn't trying to talk about you.

Mav
10-15-2013, 11:14 AM

that guy, is an ultimate tool. He holds no one else accountable for anything on the chiefs, except for Alex Smith.

Anyone with a brain understands that Alex Smith is a problem, but not nearly the only problem.

Hes just the spotlighted problem.

Other than Charles, the entire offense is a giant
ball of fail.

BWillie
10-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Can't we play Jax again so we can just sit him for a game? That would do wonders. We do get a bye before the Dungver game though don't we?

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:17 AM
that guy, is an ultimate tool. He holds no one else accountable for anything on the chiefs, except for Alex Smith.

Anyone with a brain understands that Alex Smith is a problem, but not nearly the only problem.

Hes just the spotlighted problem.

Other than Charles, the entire offense is a giant
ball of fail.

Seriously? LTR. Alex is not playing well...neither is just about anyone else on offense. Hence my comment about "such as it is". Doesn't mean that Alex hasn't been the biggest part of the offense.

WhiteWhale
10-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Please stop it. Alex is not carrying the offense.

He's a QB. He's always going to account for the most yards.

FFS, by that exact same logic Matt Cassel carried our offense in 2010, not Charles.

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Please stop it. Alex is not carrying the offense.

He's a QB. He's always going to account for the most yards.

FFS, by that exact same logic Matt Cassel carried our offense in 2010, not Charles.

You're talking about the year that JC ran for nearly 1500 yards and averaged 6.4 yards per carry? That's the same as now?

beach tribe
10-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Once again, this is what Andy Reid does. nothing new. My opinion on RBs is you ride that horse until it falls over and dies. Replace.....wash, rinse, repeat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not guys like Charles, you dont. He is a special talent. You cant just draft Charles in the 3rd and later every year. He is not just a disposable back.

Dorsey Levens lightened the load on Westbrook a ton in 2004, so its not like Reid has always run his backs ragged.

They dont trust Davis AT ALL. This O cannot survive many turnovers.

beach tribe
10-15-2013, 11:41 AM
You're talking about the year that JC ran for nearly 1500 yards and averaged 6.4 yards per carry? That's the same as now?

Charles in on pace for 2000+ yfs....yeah.

He is carrying the team.

WhiteWhale
10-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Yeah, that's the year.

The year when he was both on the field less and had fewer touches.

This is about his workload smart guy and it doesn't change the fact that Cassel accounted for more yards.. which was the stupid point you were making about Smith.

Sandy Vagina
10-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Regardless of how well the pass attack has gone...

the QB is passing the ball 36 times a game on average, and JC is averaging 19 runs per game.

This isn't as much on the pass game or who is carrying what.. as much it is on having a RB2 that the team can count on.

WhiteWhale
10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Regardless of how well the pass attack has gone...

the QB is passing the ball 36 times a game on average, and JC is averaging 19 runs per game.

This isn't as much on the pass game as it is on having a RB2 that the team can count on.

It's the playcalling.

We're not passing that much because we have to.

Frosty
10-15-2013, 11:47 AM

I liked Franklin and Stepfan Taylor in the draft. Doesn't look like either has done much this season so far, though.

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Charles in on pace for 2000+ yfs....yeah.

He is carrying the team.

That year you also had Thomas Jones for another 900 yards and JC did nearly hit 2k yfs. It is a different bird.

Yeah, that's the year.

The year when he was both on the field less and had fewer touches.

This is about his workload smart guy and it doesn't change the fact that Cassel accounted for more yards.. which was the stupid point you were making about Smith.

No question that JC is the most talented person on this team, but with this Line he doesn't impact the game the same way he did in 2010. What he did in 2010 was special...that is when a RB opens the game up for the passing game. He's not doing it this season. He's Alex's 2nd best receiver and I think most of his running has been mop up duty. Teams don't have to put 9 in the box.

You're right about the yards, but I was trying to paint broad strokes to demonstrate a point. It isn't perfectly accurate, but it is still true.

Mav
10-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I liked Franklin and Stepfan Taylor in the draft. Doesn't look like either has done much this season so far, though.

I love Stefan Taylor as well. He started getting more carries against SF.

I think eventually him and Andre Ellington will be a very solid backfield for the Cards.

The packers had the right idea. Grabbing both Lacy, and Franklin.

I didn't then, I don't now understand what the Chiefs ever saw in Davis.

His fumble problems, are ridiculous, and out weigh in my mind any VALUE he has.

Jakemall
10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
It's the playcalling.

We're not passing that much because we have to.

I think his point was that we're passing much more than we're running.

Frosty
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
I love Stefan Taylor as well. He started getting more carries against SF.

I think eventually him and Andre Ellington will be a very solid backfield for the Cards.

The packers had the right idea. Grabbing both Lacy, and Franklin.

I didn't then, I don't now understand what the Chiefs ever saw in Davis.

His fumble problems, are ridiculous, and out weigh in my mind any VALUE he has.

I don't think Taylor would be a great starting RB but I think he would have been a perfect complement to Charles. Franklin has the makings to be a quality starter some day.

Fritz88
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
He'll be done at the end of the season if we don't mix in Davis.

Mav
10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't think Taylor would be a great starting RB but I think he would have been a perfect complement to Charles. Franklin has the makings to be a quality starter some day.

There is two things that Stefan does that I love in a rb. He rarely gets stopped for negative yardage, he is always falling forward, and he PROTECTS THE FOOTBALL.

Love those two traits in any rb I have.