PDA

View Full Version : Life First time using my CCW

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I am sure most of you who have your CCW know the chances of you ever having to even show your gun is slim to none. I have never even been remotely close to thinking about skinning that smoke wagon. However, last night it was later about 9pm and I was leaving work after a brutally long day and I needed to get some air in my tires and some gas. Went down to Giant Eagle, filled up, went over to the air tank area where there isn't much lighting. Left my gun on me in the car(thank God), and I thought about taking it off, but I didn't. Anyways, I am crouched down airing the rear tire up and I hear some noise behind me, so I turn to look and it's 3 younger males I won't say race because I will be racist if I do (/KCNative). Anyways, they start coming up to me, and I didn't think much because that Giant Eagle is by apartments and there is always people walking around at anytime. They look younger (teens to early 20's), and one dude says "Hey mother ****er, how bout you give us your money and your car" and I said "no thanks man". By this time I am not crouched any longer. He then says "Maybe you didn't understand me, I wasn't asking pillowbitergot". Then his little buddies started laughing. I told him "you better get lost if you know what is good for you". About that time we had 20 feet between us and he was inching closer, so I released the first level on my gun.

I was thinking, man dude, just go your way and all will be chill. But no, he decided to pull out this little baby knife and tell me he would stab me if I didn't give him my keys. Then I rocked my gun in and back for the second level, pulled it out and ol big talk was staring down the barrel of a 45 caliber S&W. I told him "you aren't taking my money or my car". So he decides to throw this little Wal-Mart knife at me and take off running like a gazelle.

I went into the Giant Eagle fueling station and told the attendant what happened, and they said there is no lights or cameras, but they are going to install them. Needless to say, if you have your CCW, don't get lazy and not carry. I have gotten a bit lazy and at times I don't carry, but this reaffirmed my decision to carry everywhere. If I didn't have my CCW, I would have been in a fight, probably got stabbed and beaten or worse, lost all my money, and my car. Possessions can be re-purchased, but life is too precious.

Snapplez
10-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Shoulda popped him when the threw the knife. That's grounds for assault here in Texas. Good on ya for carrying

Buck
10-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Glad you're ok. Did the knife cut you?

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Shoulda popped him when the threw the knife. That's grounds for assault here in Texas. Good on ya for carrying

I wouldn't ever want to take a life. Hopefully that kid learns a lesson and decides to make some better decisions. I pray to God I am never in a position to have to fire my gun.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Glad you're ok. Did the knife cut you?

Nope, ended up bouncing right off of me. Fortunately it has been cold and I was wearing my thick chiefs hoodie.

Radar Chief

Sounds to me like he did exactly what he should have.
I know it’s just internet tough talk but trust me watching someone bleed out at your feet, even if they “had it coming”, is not something you want to live with for the rest of your life.

Gonzo
Shoulda knee-capped the little fuck. Good job, though.

seaofred
Glad you are o.k. This is exactly why I have my CCW.

Predarat
10-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Wish there were three worthless scum 6ft under and out of the system but well done. That had to be damn scary. Sounds like you kept you cool very well.

Old Dog
10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I know it’s just internet tough talk but trust me watching someone bleed out at your feet, even if they “had it coming”, is not something you want to live with for the rest of your life.

100% this. well played El Jefe

Strongside
10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I never really considered getting a permit until I moved downtown. There have been several situations where I could have used it.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Wish there were three worthless scum 6ft under and out of the system but well done. That had to be damn scary. Sounds like you kept you cool very well.

I have thought about it happening before, and I was like "oh I won't be shaky or anything". When I kicked my gun down and out, my hearbeat started racing and I was definitely in the fight or flight mentality. I definitely never wish to be in a position like that.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:33 AM

I am 100% with you, I am not going to even pretend like it would be no big deal. I know I could take a life if I or my family was in a situation where they could lose theirs. I however have no false ideas about it being like a scene from a movie.

kepp
10-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow....good job keeping your cool. I actually just applied for my CCW last week, so I'll hopefully have it in a month or so.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I never really considered getting a permit until I moved downtown. There have been several situations where I could have used it.

I wasn't going to get one, but my wife works at a hospital that is in an area that isn't the greatest and I was really afraid for her. She had a knife and pepper spray, but I was still concerned. Then one of her co-workers got sexually assaulted and beat really bad in their parking garage. At the point, I was like "we are getting our CCW's". Just having it on me is enough, just the ability to divert a criminal from hurting me or my loved ones was enough for me to get it.

WhawhaWhat
10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
If you were a real CPer you would have put 2 in the heart and 1 in the head of each dude in 9 consecutive shots. Not impressed.

crossbow
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
You did good. You can't shoot them in the back as they are running away and claim self defense. You played it perfectly.

kepp
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
If you were a real CPer you would have put 2 in the heart and 1 in the head of each dude in 9 consecutive shots. Not impressed.

We are disappoint

Rain Man
10-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Nope, ended up bouncing right off of me. Fortunately it has been cold and I was wearing my thick chiefs hoodie.

#1 defense hoodie in the entire league.

Glad you're okay. That would be scary as heck. While I wish the guys were dead, you did the right thing so you don't have to go to trial and stuff.

Radar Chief
10-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I am 100% with you, I am not going to even pretend like it would be no big deal. I know I could take a life if I or my family was in a situation where they could lose theirs. I however have no false ideas about it being like a scene from a movie.

I’ve seen death that I had nothing to do with and those images stick with me like they happened yesterday.
You did good, have the right mentality for a responsible CCW holder. :thumb:

vailpass
10-16-2013, 10:41 AM

No, he played it just right.

kepp
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Also, what type/brand of holster do you have?

gblowfish
10-16-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm afraid the only thing the kid is going to learn is, next time he tries to carjack somebody, he better have a gun too.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Many moons ago I went partially through the Police Academy. It's an Uncle Mike's holster that goes on a duty belt. I kind of fabbed it to fit inside my belt line or pocket depending on the pants, or in the lining of my hoodie and one particular coat I have.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Uncle Mike's has some ridiculously sweet Carry holsters. Here is their website:

http://www.unclemikes.com/

Nzoner
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Glad you're okay as well but like others I too wished the world was less 3 worthless POS's.

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I hope I never have to use my gun. Thank you for the reminder to keep it with me at all times. I did feel naked when I took it out of my pocket before going to the stadium last weekend though.

kepp
10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
I hope I never have to use my gun. Thank you for the reminder to keep it with me at all times. I did feel naked when I took it out of my pocket before going to the stadium last weekend though.

They really should allow it during raiders week.

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Glad you're okay. That would be scary as heck. While I wish the guys were dead, you did the right thing so you don't have to go to trial and stuff.

LMAO

kepp
10-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanks, I'll check them out.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

I LOVE mine. It has a nice leather strap for the first protection, second level is pushing the gun down into the holster and rocking it back to release the gun. Very hard to have someone steal your gun from you, but very easy and quick to get out if you need to wield it.

Groves
10-16-2013, 11:10 AM
He willingly tossed his fingerprints to you?

notorious
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Good job!

(Checks Xds on belt)

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
He willingly tossed his fingerprints to you?

Yeah, everyone in this area knows the cops are lazy bastards. You would have a better chance of play pick-up stix's with your buttcheeks than getting them to help you. When I called the cops, they didn't even come out. I told them he threw a nice at me, and they said it would be impossible to get finger prints.

*No offense to those who are police officers, my sister and brother in law are cops, but this area is full of crappy cops.

Predarat
10-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Bob Costas just called me to tell me he disproved of you pulling you gun out on those misguided youts and to neg rep you. I told him to go by a tampon and hung up on the gun grabbin' bastard.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Bob Costas just called me to tell me he disproved of you pulling you gun out on those misguided youts and to neg rep you. I told him to go by a tampon and hung up on the gun grabbin' bastard.

ROFL

vailpass
10-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Yeah, everyone in this area knows the cops are lazy bastards. You would have a better chance of play pick-up stix's with your buttcheeks than getting them to help you. When I called the cops, they didn't even come out. I told them he threw a nice at me, and they said it would be impossible to get finger prints.

*No offense to those who are police officers, my sister and brother in law are cops, but this area is full of crappy cops.

Get out of the hood bro!

Rain Man
10-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I guess the good news out of this is that you got a free knife.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Good job!

(Checks Xds on belt)

Same here... Have my .380 with me in my pocket....

.45 is in the truck...

saphojunkie
10-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I love the "should have popped him!" comments.

Because firing a gun next to a gas pump is, you know, fucking BRILLIANT.

BigCatDaddy
10-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Because firing a gun next to a gas pump is, you know, ****ing BRILLIANT.

That would have had potential to be fucking awesome.

Predarat
10-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Not a bad idea, wait until the thugs get next to the pump, shoot the pump, all three blasted straight to hell. Wasting only 1 bullet and no need to waste grave yard space and earth either. That is the ultimate win win win scenario plus an epic explosion to tack on.

CoMoChief

I'm not the kinda guy to have such sympathy. If someone's trying to assault me with a deadly weapon. It's either me or him....I'm shooting that asshole without blinking an eye and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Caseyguyrr

don hume. none better

T-post Tom
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Chuck Norris would have disarmed and disabled all 3 punks with his beard alone. Man up bro! Real men don't need to bring a gun to a knife fight. ;)

tooge
10-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm afraid the only thing the kid is going to learn is, next time he tries to carjack somebody, he better have a gun too.

unfortunately, this. You did the right thing by not capping his ass, but had you capped his ass, I'd say "way to go" for getting rid of a piece of shit human being that doesn't deserve to breath my air.

BlackHelicopters
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
When in doubt, empty your magazine.

DenverChief
10-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Good on you. Did you report it tho?

kepp
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM

You're a policeman, right? I think. Anyway...so when the guy pulled out the knife, would it have been considered self defense to shoot him?

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 12:04 PM
You're a policeman, right? I think. Anyway...so when the guy pulled out the knife, would it have been considered self defense to shoot him?

absolutely.

kepp
10-16-2013, 12:05 PM
absolutely.

That's what I would think. Especially given their aggressive/criminal approach.

Predarat
10-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Except in California, New York, Illinois, DC and other horrible places.

Scorp
10-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I guess I don't understand. You had him at gunpoint? Why didn't you order him to lay on the ground. Fire a warning shot when he fled? The knife had his fingerprints on it? Why was the cops not called? I am confused.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 12:08 PM
unfortunately, this. You did the right thing by not capping his ass, but had you capped his ass, I'd say "way to go" for getting rid of a piece of shit human being that doesn't deserve to breath my air.

yup.

there's no "rehabbing" these kinds of people. This guy's gonna end up carrying himself and that will end up being bad for the next guy. Get the guy off the streets for good. Justice system is horribly flawed and the prisons are crowded enough as it is with people who are non violent criminals. This guy can't be trusted not to harm others in society. He must be stopped...if that takes a couple bullets in the chest....tough shit..it was his decision to engage on an innocent human that was minding his own business.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
That's what I would think. Especially given their aggressive/criminal approach.

exactly.

the guy at first had criminal intent to rob without violence (but you don't know that for sure). The guy was w/ 2 other "friends", who would likely had jumped him for resisting to give up his vehicle and wallet etc if the situation escalated.

He was warned and still continued to engage, this time he gets out a knife.

For me it would have ended there. he'd be shot dead in the chest and his friends would have scattered like roaches.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Yeah, that was my reference earlier. I called 911, was patched through talked to one of the officers I told him the situation and he said if there we no witnesses they don't need to come out. I told him about the knife and he said it would be impossible to get fingerprints off of it. So, I left it at that.

Scorp
10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I told him about the knife and he said it would be impossible to get fingerprints off of it. So, I left it at that.

WTF really? :# Fuck the popo.

El Jefe
I guess I don't understand. You had him at gunpoint? Why didn't you order him to lay on the ground. Fire a warning shot when he fled? The knife had his fingerprints on it? Why was the cops not called? I am confused.

Yes I had my gun drawn on him. He threw his knife at me and fled. My CCW instructor was also a Lt. at our PD and he said to NEVER fire a shot when someone is fleeing. He said every bullet you fire you are responsible for, and that could come back against you. I have answered the Cops questions a couple times.

CoMoChief
Except in California, New York, Illinois, DC and other horrible places.

I would NEVER live in a big major city where guns are restricted and you're aggressively punished by the law for using them in self defense cases. That's just asking for you to be robbed. Criminals don't care about laws, they're going to have guns, they're going to continue to rob people. It's the law abiding citizen that's the victim here. But that's how the controlling nanny state tyrannical govt in these areas want it. Most of them in office are criminals themselves.

kepp
10-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that was my reference earlier. I called 911, was patched through talked to one of the officers I told him the situation and he said if there we no witnesses they don't need to come out. I told him about the knife and he said it would be impossible to get fingerprints off of it. So, I left it at that.

I don't know if it should, but that just shocks me. They didn't even send anyone out to take down a report. That's just incompetence.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
WTF really? :# **** the popo.

Yeah, at that point I pretty much just lol'd. The cops in that area are terrible. Where I live it's a small town and they will follow any leads. In this area it is much bigger and if no one died or was raped they don't seem to care too much.

Nzoner
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM

If not mistaken he was by the air pump in a darker part of the lot.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
If not mistaken he was by the air pump in a darker part of the lot.:hmmm:

so is it still brilliant?

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 12:28 PM

It is illegal to fire a "warning shot" in most places. Aside from that, youd be liable for anything that resulted from it. (Property damage, etc). In most places you would leave yourself open to a charge for reckless discharge or discharging a firearm within city limits.

Besides, if the skidmarks ran, anything he does to escalate makes him the aggressor and it's not a self defense situation any longer. If he fires in their general direction they would be justified in defending themselves against him.

He did this exactly right. He drew when presented with a weapon. Because they weren't actively attacking and he had some distance to work with, he loudly told them to leave or he would use it. He did only what was required to remove himself from peril. He didnt pursue them when they fled.

Sure, depending on the state he could have used deadly force on them without needing to retreat. But does he want to have someone bleeding out in a parking lot at his feet and face an expensive legal battle for years etc etc if he has another choice?

Thinning society of its dregs sounds nice on paper but I don't have a legal defense fund, and I don't want to deal with the mental consequences unless I have to.

If the thug would have not retreated or made any move closer to me after I presented the firearm, he'd have gotten it... if it had been me.

If you have to fire to save your life, they get the full magazine at center of mass. Either you do it all thebway or you don't, and you do everything reasonable to not.

Anyway, hopefully these shitbirds will find a new line of work now. :clap:

Predarat
10-16-2013, 12:30 PM
I would NEVER live in a big major city where guns are restricted and you're aggressively punished by the law for using them in self defense cases. That's just asking for you to be robbed. Criminals don't care about laws, they're going to have guns, they're going to continue to rob people. It's the law abiding citizen that's the victim here. But that's how the controlling nanny state tyrannical govt in these areas want it. Most of them in office are criminals themselves.

Exactly, thats why I love states like Texas were its pretty much open season on criminals. Thats the way it should be.

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Exactly, thats why I love states like Texas were its pretty much open season on criminals. Thats the way it should be.

Sure its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but I'd rather not be the star of the next George Zimmerman case if I could help it.

DenverChief
10-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Yes and yes. In Colorado all you must establish is that you feared for your life or the life of another.

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
It is illegal to fire a "warning shot" in most places. Aside from that, youd be liable for anything that resulted from it. (Property damage, etc). In most places you would leave yourself open to a charge for reckless discharge or discharging a firearm within city limits.

Besides, if the skidmarks ran, anything he does to escalate makes him the aggressor and it's not a self defense situation any longer. If he fires in their general direction they would be justified in defending themselves against him.

He did this exactly right. He drew when presented with a weapon. Because they weren't actively attacking and he had some distance to work with, he loudly told them to leave or he would use it. He did only what was required to remove himself from peril. He didnt pursue them when they fled.

Sure, depending on the state he could have used deadly force on them without needing to retreat. But does he want to have someone bleeding out in a parking lot at his feet and face an expensive legal battle for years etc etc if he has another choice?

Thinning society of its dregs sounds nice on paper but I don't have a legal defense fund, and I don't want to deal with the mental consequences unless I have to.

If the thug would have not retreated or made any move closer to me after I presented the firearm, he'd have gotten it... if it had been me.

If you have to fire to save your life, they get the full magazine at center of mass. Either you do it all thebway or you don't, and you do everything reasonable to not.

Anyway, hopefully these shitbirds will find a new line of work now. :clap:

Great post. I posted a bit earlier in the thread that my CCW instructor was a LT. at our local PD (small town). He said to never fire a warning shot or a shot at someone who is fleeing because you are responsible for the bullets regardless of what happens. The only time you want that kind of issue is if the bullet goes through the perp into a car or something like that. Then again hollow points are nice for that.

On a side note, has anyone seen the damage a hollow point does? Pretty gruesome.

DenverChief
10-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Interesting. Where do you live?

Rain Man
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Great post. I posted a bit earlier in the thread that my CCW instructor was a LT. at our local PD (small town). He said to never fire a warning shot or a shot at someone who is fleeing because you are responsible for the bullets regardless of what happens. The only time you want that kind of issue is if the bullet goes through the perp into a car or something like that. Then again hollow points are nice for that.

On a side note, has anyone seen the damage a hollow point does? Pretty gruesome.

Waaaait a minute. I just read your last sentence. There were four robbers, weren't there?

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 12:40 PM

The incident happened in Columbus Ohio. I live in a very small town (~1200).

DenverChief
10-16-2013, 12:43 PM

I would have taken a report and got a case number in case it happened again at least there would be a file already started on it. What kind of knife are we talking about one of those 3" Swiss Army knives?

DenverChief
10-16-2013, 12:45 PM
I would have taken a report and got a case number in case it happened again at least there would be a file already started on it. What kind of knife are we talking about one of those 3" Swiss Army knives?

And there are a million variables why he didn't. Not passing judgment on him just saying what I would have done

El Jefe
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM

Yeah, it was no bigger than 4-5". My sister is a police officer in a resident county, and she said that Columbus won't do anything with it.

*On your note, I thought the same thing. At least if it happens again and they get caught they could possibly lead to more charges. Or it could maybe make the PD swing through the lot a bit more often on patrols. I am more worried about the next people it could happen to.

saphojunkie
10-16-2013, 12:48 PM

I'm a big stupid liberal in California and I don't oppose concealed carry at all. I applaud the OP for not only his courage against his assailants, but also his discretion and restraint.

Having said that, El Jefe (shocking!) didn't need an AR-15 with 4,000 extra rounds ordered off the internet to protect himself and his property.

I think it's the "all or nothing" mentality on both sides in the gun debate that prevents any kind of middle ground compromise on this issue. And history tends to show that the middle ground is where reasonable solutions tend to lie.

Archie F. Swin
10-16-2013, 12:49 PM
its a shame it wasn't caught on surveillance. How awesome to have your grandkids check grampa's badassery. Not to mention a little youtube love.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Sure its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but I'd rather not be the star of the next George Zimmerman case if I could help it.

The difference between the Zimmerman case and hundreds of others like it is that Obama and the race goons at MSNBC and CNN got behind it and pounded the race drum to all of the morons that STILL bow to them with their blind loyalty.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes and yes. In Colorado all you must establish is that you feared for your life or the life of another.

its really just common law...as it has been for thousands of yrs.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm a big stupid liberal in California and I don't oppose concealed carry at all. I applaud the OP for not only his courage against his assailants, but also his discretion and restraint.

Having said that, El Jefe (shocking!) didn't need an AR-15 with 4,000 extra rounds ordered off the internet to protect himself and his property.

I think it's the "all or nothing" mentality on both sides in the gun debate that prevents any kind of middle ground compromise on this issue. And history tends to show that the middle ground is where reasonable solutions tend to lie.

See you're under this false belief that if we could just carry around what we wanted to at all times w/ no gun restrictions, we all would. And that's not the case. Someone's not going to go to a restaurant or a movie carrying an AR strapped to his back for protection even though that's what the media talking heads are portraying it. They're too big to just be carrying around if you're out on a date on the night of the town. No one's going to do that, and you'd look stupid for doing it. The reason why all of these high powered rifles are being banned is because the authorities in govt don't want the people to have the same firepower as they do if shit were to really hit the fan, because then they would have to choose a side, the rights of the American people they swore to protect, or the tyrannical govt goons on the dark side that pay their bills and feed their families. If they have all the firepower and courts by their sides they just sit back and tell us all they're the boss and do whatever it is they say or else...

It's the prime reason why there is a 2nd Amendment, you have the right to protect yourself and other citizens from tyrannical govt should it reveal it's head.

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 01:21 PM

An AR is a completely legitimate sporting rifle.

CoMoChief
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM

And that's the other problem. Most people don't know anything about guns, rifles, what they do in terms the severity of the damage they cause, how they fire, feel, sound etc. Most people learn about guns as what they see on TV, movies, video games etc which most is all completely fake and Hollywood-ized. And anything gun related on your nightly news stations is 100% always negative. You subconsciously chose the "AR" as your example because it's been embedded into your brain the last 12-24 months via national media talking points that "AR-15" means "bad". Not trying to say you don't know anything about guns because I don't know you personally but what I do know is that you made a very general assumption that a lot of regular Americans who aren't too familiar with firearms, make. And I'm not a gun expert by any means but do you know how many people out there think an AR-15 is stock fully auto??? You can just show the person a picture of one and they'll immediately think it's a military automatic weapon and that only soldiers should have those. Do you know that in the constitution we're required as citizens to form militias and fight for our land should we ever be invaded by another country/power?? See now why wouldn't our govt want that? We turn our standing army and we increase it by millions. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto said invade Americans and you'll see a rifle behind every blade of grass (paraphrasing). See it's important that people need to be educated and at a young age and need to learn how to be familiar with firearms.

Radar Chief
10-16-2013, 01:34 PM

I know plenty of coyote hunters using them.

seaofred
10-16-2013, 01:38 PM
And that's the other problem. Most people don't know anything about guns, rifles, what they do in terms the severity of the damage they cause, how they fire, feel, sound etc. Most people learn about guns as what they see on TV, movies, video games etc which most is all completely fake and Hollywood-ized. And anything gun related on your nightly news stations is 100% always negative. People need to be educated and at a young age and need to learn how to be familiar with firearms.

Well said!!!

hometeam
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
And that's the other problem. Most people don't know anything about guns, rifles, what they do in terms the severity of the damage they cause, how they fire, feel, sound etc. Most people learn about guns as what they see on TV, movies, video games etc which most is all completely fake and Hollywood-ized. And anything gun related on your nightly news stations is 100% always negative. You subconsciously chose the "AR" as your example because it's been embedded into your brain the last 12-24 months via national media talking points that "AR-15" means "bad". Not trying to say you don't know anything about guns because I don't know you personally but what I do know is that you made a very general assumption that a lot of regular Americans who aren't too familiar with firearms, make. And I'm not a gun expert by any means but do you know how many people out there think an AR-15 is stock fully auto??? You can just show the person a picture of one and they'll immediately think it's a military automatic weapon and that only soldiers should have those. Do you know that in the constitution we're required as citizens to form militias and fight for our land should we ever be invaded by another country/power. See it's important that people need to be educated and at a young age and need to learn how to be familiar with firearms.

This may be the first time I have agreed with one of your posts.

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 02:01 PM
I know plenty of coyote hunters using them.

I see deer taken with ARs in gun mags as well, though I don't hunt myself.

Maybe a world beater but it is certainly a nice all-arounder if you only want or have the budget for one rifle.

Radar Chief
10-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Maybe a world beater but it is certainly a nice all-arounder if you only want or have the budget for one rifle.

The .223 round is too small to legally hunt deer in Kansas but that doesn’t apply everywhere. I’m pretty sure in Montana you can hunt them with any rifle/hand gun, including a .22 LR.

demonhero
10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Jesus Christ, and from the profile it looks like you are one state over from open carry Alabama. IMO you were well within you're right to shoot the black guy that threw the knife, and I would have.

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 02:10 PM
And that's the other problem. Most people don't know anything about guns, rifles, what they do in terms the severity of the damage they cause, how they fire, feel, sound etc. Most people learn about guns as what they see on TV, movies, video games etc which most is all completely fake and Hollywood-ized.

Most people who know nothing about guns base their "You dont need a..." quotient on how scary-looking the gun is.

In this case, ARs are the one the media demonizes but ARs come chambered for all kinds of rounds down to .22LR. It's not like they are all the same.

The media is always weasel-wording with "semi-automatic" too, they know full well that most people think that term means burst fire, or just dont know the difference between semi and fully automatic, so they write the word up in the copy to make the gun sound scarier.

There are intelligent discussions you could have like what objective purchase standards should there be, or what actually makes a firearm more deadly and how that should be regulated, if it should.

But you never hear intelligent arguments, it's always this "You dont need a machine gun to hunt deer" or "You want kids to have Uzis" mularkey.

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 02:11 PM
The .223 round is too small to legally hunt deer in Kansas but that doesn’t apply everywhere. I’m pretty sure in Montana you can hunt them with any rifle/hand gun, including a .22 LR.

How's about 7.62?

Radar Chief
10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
How's about 7.62?

That’s about a .30 caliber, good to go.
.243 is the smallest that’s legal to hunt deer with here.
I don’t hunt deer anymore, too many other interests taking up my time, but when I did I used my SKS which is 7.62X39.

demonhero
10-16-2013, 02:16 PM

A lot of people think since you have an AR that its got to be a .223 calibers, and that's not the case. I'll be using my new Armalite AR10 in 308 for deer this fall.

hometeam
10-16-2013, 02:17 PM
How's about 7.62?

They make them.

J Diddy
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Pussy. I'd have just whipped out my dick. He'd instantly know that a man with a penis that large isn't fucking around and run off without throwing the knife.

He would know after the massive shadow crossed the 20 feet distance that any aggressive act would result in me using my peen like a sledgehammer and thumping him on his noggin.

That's a man's way of concealed carry. Don't even need a permit, just an occasional paternity test.

mdchiefsfan
10-16-2013, 02:20 PM

LMAO You never let me down RM

mdchiefsfan
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Good job!

(Checks Xds on belt)

How does that gun feel when firing? We just started getting those in to sell and I absolutely love the ability to conceal that gun. It is the Motorola RAZR of handguns. I can't believe they chose 45 for it though, which makes me curious.

Tombstone RJ
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM

what do you care if someone owns a scary looking rifle with 4,000 rounds anyway? If that person isn't insane (you can't get guns if you are insane, remember, this is the law) nor is that person a felon (you can't get guns if you are a criminal, remember, this is the law) but that person is an upstanding citizen, why do you care?

Ace Gunner
10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
well done bravo

Tombstone RJ
10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
I have my CCW permit too btw.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
10-16-2013, 02:35 PM
a warning shot to the ankle, knee --if properly placed-- can serve as a life-long reminder to that boy.

or shoot his dick off.

crazycoffey
10-16-2013, 02:37 PM

If he didn't feel like his life was in danger, he did what he should have done. Outnumbered three to one, with a knife and within 20ft, a reasonable and prudent person couldn't really blame him for feeling peril and squeezing the trigger either.

ThaVirus
10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Jesus Christ, and from the profile it looks like you are one state over from open carry Alabama. IMO you were well within you're right to shoot the black guy that threw the knife, and I would have.

Who said he was black?

Deberg_1990
10-16-2013, 02:50 PM
, so I turn to look and it's 3 younger males I won't say race because I will be racist if I do (/KCNative

Implied racism. Reported

Predarat
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
See you're under this false belief that if we could just carry around what we wanted to at all times w/ no gun restrictions, we all would. And that's not the case. Someone's not going to go to a restaurant or a movie carrying an AR strapped to his back for protection even though that's what the media talking heads are portraying it. They're too big to just be carrying around if you're out on a date on the night of the town. No one's going to do that, and you'd look stupid for doing it. The reason why all of these high powered rifles are being banned is because the authorities in govt don't want the people to have the same firepower as they do if shit were to really hit the fan, because then they would have to choose a side, the rights of the American people they swore to protect, or the tyrannical govt goons on the dark side that pay their bills and feed their families. If they have all the firepower and courts by their sides they just sit back and tell us all they're the boss and do whatever it is they say or else...

It's the prime reason why there is a 2nd Amendment, you have the right to protect yourself and other citizens from tyrannical govt should it reveal it's head.

This is what many do not understand.

Frosty
10-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Most people learn about guns as what they see on TV, movies, video games etc which most is all completely fake and Hollywood-ized.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19781_6-stupid-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Eleazar
10-16-2013, 03:29 PM
a warning shot to the ankle, knee --if properly placed-- can serve as a life-long reminder to that boy.

or shoot his dick off.

I doubt even those Top Shot guys could shoot an assailant in the knee in a life or death situation.

TribalElder
10-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Awesome. As a ccw holder I hope I never have to deal with that type of situation but if I do I hope I handle it as well as you did

CrazyPhuD
10-16-2013, 04:51 PM

Actually the real issue at play here has absolutely NOTHING to do with guns and everything to do with the whole point that America was founded for.

At no point in time does ANY citizen need to justify first, why they need to have anything, be it a specific firearm or the ability to choose whoever they marry.

The point of a free society is that government must first prove why it NEEDS to take it from you before you even have to establish why you need to have it anyway. If the government can't establish that it NEEDS to take if from you then they can't simple as that. Not liking something or wanting to take something from someone is NOT a need.

The burden of proof is always on the government to prove why they need to take things from us and they must always do so in a non discriminatory way. You can't take something from one group because you don't like them and then not take away something that does similar harm from another group just because you like what they're doing.

This is one of the most fucked up parts about our society these days. It is not the responsibility of the citizens to establish why we need to have anything, it is the job of the government to prove that they NEED to take it from us.

Brock
10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Totally missed a do ya feel lucky......punk

Dunit35
10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
How does that gun feel when firing? We just started getting those in to sell and I absolutely love the ability to conceal that gun. It is the Motorola RAZR of handguns. I can't believe they chose 45 for it though, which makes me curious.

Awesome gun. It's my off duty gun. It doesn't have the kick like you think it would.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
You did good. You can't shoot them in the back as they are running away and claim self defense. You played it perfectly.

You can in Texas and as well you can shoot their ass if they're stealing your shit after dark. People call me crazy but I always carry 2 bags of semen, a .45 , a 12 guage and a .223 because you never know what kinda range you're gonna need.

notorious
10-16-2013, 05:36 PM

I work with my hands for a living, so they are pretty damn strong. With that said it is a puppy dog in my hands, but my wife hasn't gotten used to it yet. She thinks it kicks a little too much. She is used to a Beretta 92FS, SW 1911, and her Ruger LC (PILE OF SHIT) 9.

I used to carry my SW 642 everywhere, but I came across my current XDs for $550 and jumped all over it. The trigger is really damn good for a CC gun, and the profile is unbeatable. It feels smaller than my wife's LC (PILE OF SHIT) 9.

For fun shooting a person can use the extended mag, but I shoot most of my gear like I would if I was in a real situation.

Just buy one, you will not regret it.

Chief Pote
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey El Jefe, which Giant Eagle...the one in Gahanna?

threebag
10-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Shoulda knee-capped the little fuck. Good job, though.

This is exactly what I would have done.

pr_capone
10-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Japanese Admiral Yamamoto said invade Americans and you'll see a rifle behind every blade of grass (paraphrasing). See it's important that people need to be educated and at a young age and need to learn how to be familiar with firearms.

He never said that.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto

It has been declared this attribution is "unsubstantiated and almost certainly bogus, even though it has been repeated thousands of times in various Internet postings. There is no record of the commander in chief of Japan’s wartime fleet ever saying it.", according to Brooks Jackson in "Misquoting Yamamoto" at Factcheck.org (11 May 2009), which cites Donald M. Goldstein, sometimes called "the dean of Pearl Harbor historians", writing "I have never seen it in writing. It has been attributed to the Prange files [the files of the late Gordon W. Prange, chief historian on the staff of Gen. Douglas MacArthur]".

In Kansas, it is legal to take deer in ANY caliber, provided that the round is coming from a centerfire cartridge. Recent law change.

or shoot his dick off.

you never look to wing a person. if you pull that trigger, you do it with the intent to end a life. trying to wing a person is how bystanders get shot.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Jesus.

Where do you live?

TribalElder
10-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Jesus.

Where do you live?

Same thing I wondered

Hammock Parties
10-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Like, I live in a pretty nice part of KC and have never thought about getting a CCW. But if you live ANYWHERE near me, um...

BigOlChiefsfan
10-16-2013, 08:27 PM
n Kansas, it is legal to take deer in ANY caliber, provided that the round is coming from a centerfire cartridge. Recent law change.

Bingo.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/22/2727315/commission-oks-equipment-changes.html

OPEKA — Kansas hunters now have more choices for what equipment they can use during deer and turkey seasons. (As of March 13)

The Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission unanimously approved all of the department’s requests for liberalizing weapon and other equipment restrictions during a meeting Thursday evening.

• Crossbows will now be legal for all hunters during archery deer seasons. Previously they were only legal for those with approved physical limitations, those 15 and under and 55 and older, in four deer management units involved in a two-year study. The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.

• Any centerfire rifle or handgun cartridge can now be used for big game hunting during the appropriate firearm season.

• Slugs can now be used in any gauge shotgun for deer hunting, rather than 20 gauge or larger.

The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.

• Most electronic devices attached to bows are now legal, including such things as attached cameras, and rangefinders. Also, radio frequency devices attached to arrows are also legal.

• Any shotgun, regardless of gauge, can now be used for turkey hunting. Before, it was only shotguns 20 gauge or larger.

Chris Tymeson, Wildlife and Parks attorney, said the new regulations will be in effect when deer seasons open in September. He estimated it will take about four weeks before the turkey regulations become law. Tymeson said Wildlife and Parks will post a news release when those regulations become official, to inform hunters for the upcoming spring turkey seasons.

Robin Jennison, Wildlife and Parks secretary, said he favored the changes to allow hunters more freedom of choice, and to possibly make it easier for more children and small-framed adults to enjoy time deer hunting. He’s not concerned the changes will lead to an over-harvest of deer, or decline in the state’s trophy quality.

"It’s always been a societal issue, and never been a biological issue," Jennison said of the crossbow and caliber changes that drew lengthy debate for several years at commission meetings. "The crossbow (becoming legal) doesn’t take away from the experience of anybody who wants to use a (vertical) bow."

Brent Gardner, a National Rifle Association representative from Fairfax, Va.m said his group supported all of the weapon changes, and said the NRA has studied the topics at length and never found any of them to have a negative impact on wildlife.

Several commissioners said they had gotten several e-mails and phone calls opposing the equipment changes, but found widespread support when they started talking to local sportsmen. "If I was up here representing bowhunters I would be against it," Commissioner Roger Marshall, Great Bend, said of crossbows. "But I have to represent the people (of Kansas.) I don’t think passing this is going to hurt the deer herd."

Iowanian
10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
It sure sounds like you reacted well, and there is no sense in shooting someone you don't have to....

Last time someone tried to rob me, I just showed them my wallet and they gave me their money.

MOhillbilly
10-16-2013, 08:39 PM
I shot a fool with a 22 and he went the **** down and stayed down.

driver2
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Jefe you did alright, the bad part is ,they're still out there and stupid!
Those fools will probably up the ante on the next guy! I'd bet money there will be a next guy, and you probably weren't their 1st.

Sfeihc
10-16-2013, 08:43 PM

****in' Buckeyes. There is your problem right there, says the Michigan season ticket holder. In all seriousness, glad you're okay.

Hog Rider
10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Good job!

(Checks Xds on belt)

XDS is a sweet gun in the hand, and now in 9mm. Always wondered how it shot. Nearly got the 45, but acquired a PPQ instead and extremely happy. Wife loves it too - nearly threw here POS LC9 across the range after shooting my PPQ. Now we're shopping for a new gun for her.

FYI: there is a recall on the XDS and SW shield so be careful 'till you find out if yours is affected. Something about going off when they shouldn't when being racked or some such thing - rare I guess, but is an issue nevertheless.

Remember the 4 commandments and good shooting to you,

JP

Iowanian
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
You missed a chance at the perfect response.....

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxlH-s2Mt1I6VTTnjbh3RqUWafr7k0bygFUdgNsyWRblKpWhT_

Fairplay
10-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Anyways, I am crouched down airing the rear tire up and I hear some noise behind me, so I turn to look and it's 3 younger males I won't say race because I will be racist if I do (/KCNative).

So were they mexicans or were they black?

CrazyPhuD
10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
You missed a chance at the perfect response.....

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxlH-s2Mt1I6VTTnjbh3RqUWafr7k0bygFUdgNsyWRblKpWhT_

Nah man this scene is always more epic!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mur-c5IiWJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorter
10-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Nah man this scene is always more epic!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mur-c5IiWJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

ThaVirus
10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
So were they mexicans or were they black?

Wait. You didn't already know they were black before you opened the thread?

Buehler445
10-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't ever want to take a life. Hopefully that kid learns a lesson and decides to make some better decisions. I pray to God I am never in a position to have to fire my gun.

Excellent. Good on you. That's a goddamned stressful situation and you couldn't have done any better. It's tough to tell what I would do in that situation, but I know I would have been epic pissed and I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty I wouldn't have plugged him.

Christ. Someone is a better marksman than I.

CrazyPhuD
10-16-2013, 10:20 PM
LMAO

Damn and this is even a better version of it!!!

PBJ PBJ PBJ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Po1viW_u4ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimBone
10-16-2013, 10:57 PM

You would have choked him out, Amirite?

Sorter
10-16-2013, 10:58 PM
You would have choked him out, Amirite?

Peruvian necktie, duh.

El Jefe
10-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Hey El Jefe, which Giant Eagle...the one in Gahanna?

Jesus.

Where do you live?

Same thing I wondered

It happened at the Giant Eagle in Columbus, down from the Airport (closer to Easton). I live NE of Columbus many miles. My town does not have a town per say, it relies on the Sheriffs Department for police control and the neighboring townships fire department. No traffic lights, quite simply, it's a little slice of heaven.

El Jefe
10-17-2013, 06:38 AM
****in' Buckeyes. There is your problem right there, says the Michigan season ticket holder. In all seriousness, glad you're okay.

LMAO

Radar Chief
10-17-2013, 07:09 AM
In Kansas, it is legal to take deer in ANY caliber, provided that the round is coming from a centerfire cartridge. Recent law change.

Ah, new development. Did not know that.
Still don’t think I’d hunt them with a .223 unless my family needed the food and that’s what I had.

Radar Chief
10-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Bingo.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/22/2727315/commission-oks-equipment-changes.html

OPEKA — Kansas hunters now have more choices for what equipment they can use during deer and turkey seasons. (As of March 13)

The Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission unanimously approved all of the department’s requests for liberalizing weapon and other equipment restrictions during a meeting Thursday evening.

• Crossbows will now be legal for all hunters during archery deer seasons. Previously they were only legal for those with approved physical limitations, those 15 and under and 55 and older, in four deer management units involved in a two-year study. The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.

• Any centerfire rifle or handgun cartridge can now be used for big game hunting during the appropriate firearm season.

• Slugs can now be used in any gauge shotgun for deer hunting, rather than 20 gauge or larger.

The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.

• Most electronic devices attached to bows are now legal, including such things as attached cameras, and rangefinders. Also, radio frequency devices attached to arrows are also legal.

• Any shotgun, regardless of gauge, can now be used for turkey hunting. Before, it was only shotguns 20 gauge or larger.

Chris Tymeson, Wildlife and Parks attorney, said the new regulations will be in effect when deer seasons open in September. He estimated it will take about four weeks before the turkey regulations become law. Tymeson said Wildlife and Parks will post a news release when those regulations become official, to inform hunters for the upcoming spring turkey seasons.

Robin Jennison, Wildlife and Parks secretary, said he favored the changes to allow hunters more freedom of choice, and to possibly make it easier for more children and small-framed adults to enjoy time deer hunting. He’s not concerned the changes will lead to an over-harvest of deer, or decline in the state’s trophy quality.

"It’s always been a societal issue, and never been a biological issue," Jennison said of the crossbow and caliber changes that drew lengthy debate for several years at commission meetings. "The crossbow (becoming legal) doesn’t take away from the experience of anybody who wants to use a (vertical) bow."

Brent Gardner, a National Rifle Association representative from Fairfax, Va.m said his group supported all of the weapon changes, and said the NRA has studied the topics at length and never found any of them to have a negative impact on wildlife.

Several commissioners said they had gotten several e-mails and phone calls opposing the equipment changes, but found widespread support when they started talking to local sportsmen. "If I was up here representing bowhunters I would be against it," Commissioner Roger Marshall, Great Bend, said of crossbows. "But I have to represent the people (of Kansas.) I don’t think passing this is going to hurt the deer herd."

Wow, there have been a bunch of changes.
What this is more than likely about is that the Kansas deer herd has been growing closer every season to unsustainable numbers while Kansas sells fewer deer hunting permits every year. Loosening the laws regarding what can be used gets more people out there hunting them, which is needed before we run into a disease die off.

Predarat
10-17-2013, 07:54 AM
They were prolly part of Urban Meyers gang of Buckeye Thugs.

Eleazar
10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Actually the real issue at play here has absolutely NOTHING to do with guns and everything to do with the whole point that America was founded for.

At no point in time does ANY citizen need to justify first, why they need to have anything

:thumb:

Tombstone RJ
10-17-2013, 05:01 PM
That’s about a .30 caliber, good to go.
.243 is the smallest that’s legal to hunt deer with here.
I don’t hunt deer anymore, too many other interests taking up my time, but when I did I used my SKS which is 7.62X39.

I use my .17 to hunt deer. 300 yard eye shot and they drop like a bag of potatos. Ok, so I don't really do this, but who cares?