PDA

View Full Version : Life Top-Loading Washer Won't Drain/Spin

CaliforniaChief
10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
I've been scouring the web for solutions...maybe one of you DIY mensas can save my ass from a home visit from a repair technician. You guys are seriously the best.

My wife was running the washing machine...it had been agitating just fine. Just when it was getting ready to drain/spin, I heard a sound almost like it was winding down, and it stopped working. When I went to look, I noticed a humming/buzzing sound, but it wouldn't drain/spin.

I took all the stuff out of the washer (other than the water) to see if something had lodged under the agitator, but it feels clear.

Any easy things I can try before I open my wallet?

-The outlet's working fine. The fuse on the house is fine.
-The water drain in the back is not kinked/coiled.

Jewish Rabbi
10-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Try filling it the rest of the way with antifreeze.

Rain Man
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
There's some little plastic part that controls the spin, and if you overload the washer you can break it. I don't know if that would also affect the draining.

A tenant that I didn't like created that learning opportunity for me.

mike_b_284
10-17-2013, 10:20 PM
just poop in it. Then call the maytag man. That dude is bored, might as well give him something to tell his wife about.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Throw lawn darts at it, toss it in a bigger washer and wash that sucker...profit....

hometeam
10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Might be the lid switch. Clogged pump (mine ate a baby sock once) can do it too.

CaliforniaChief
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Might be the lid switch. Clogged pump (mine ate a baby sock once) can do it too.

Yeah, I've heard about the pump getting clogged. I'm nervous about opening everything up. Would I be able to check by pulling the hose out of the back? Or do I have to pull off the case?

houston_pressure
10-17-2013, 10:24 PM
try kicking it as hard as you can

Sorter
10-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Try filling it the rest of the way with antifreeze.

ROFL

hometeam
10-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I've heard about the pump getting clogged. I'm nervous about opening everything up. Would I be able to check by pulling the hose out of the back? Or do I have to pull off the case?

probably have to take off a bunch of screws and the case leans forward.

Dayze
10-17-2013, 10:32 PM
definitely sounds like the Fetzer Valve

Imon Yourside
10-17-2013, 10:33 PM
definitely sounds like the Fetzer Valve

Ya I think that 7th one has been a stickin'....All though it's all ball bearings these days.

In58men
10-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Add bath salts to the antifreeze then toss in a pit bull while you fill your Downey "I came in like wrecking" ball up

Sorter
10-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Add bath salts to the antifreeze then toss in a pit bull while you fill your Downey "I came in like wrecking" ball up

This might be your best post ever.

BTW, how was your wedding, you rascal?!

Ace Gunner
10-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I've been scouring the web for solutions...maybe one of you DIY mensas can save my ass from a home visit from a repair technician. You guys are seriously the best.

My wife was running the washing machine...it had been agitating just fine. Just when it was getting ready to drain/spin, I heard a sound almost like it was winding down, and it stopped working. When I went to look, I noticed a humming/buzzing sound, but it wouldn't drain/spin.

I took all the stuff out of the washer (other than the water) to see if something had lodged under the agitator, but it feels clear.

she broke it. make her pay, tiger.

Simply Red
10-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I'd like to personally recommend putting a butt plug in the kinky coil.

In58men
10-17-2013, 10:51 PM
This might be your best post ever.

BTW, how was your wedding, you rascal?!

Turned out really well, it definitely exceeded my expectations. Thanks for asking good sir.

Dayze
10-17-2013, 10:53 PM

LMAO....wtf...

Sorter
10-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Turned out really well, it definitely exceeded my expectations. Thanks for asking good sir.

Of course mon frere, glad to hear it!

I uh...apologize for the ocelot delay. Turns out FedEx is run by a bunch of assholes.

rockymtnchief
10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Try looking it up on youtube. There's a guy (redneck-something or other) that blogs how to fix/troubleshoot appliances. Mine stopped agitating, I watched his video and fixed it for $2.75. Good luck.

TimeForWasp
10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
my guess is the timer.

Fritz88
10-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Belt or some piece of cloths is stuck
Posted via Mobile Device

Imon Yourside
10-17-2013, 11:01 PM
just poop in it. Then call the maytag man. That dude is bored, might as well give him something to tell his wife about.

I'm not saying anything but...that's where the upper decker came from..not that i'm saying anything.

Simply Red
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Try looking it up on youtube. There's a guy (redneck-something or other) that blogs how to fix/troubleshoot appliances. Mine stopped agitating, I watched his video and fixed it for $2.75. Good luck.

excellent work rockymtnchief

Sorter
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM

This is probably your best bet. Youtube is a fantastic thing.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
This is probably your best bet. Youtube is a fantastic thing.

It ain't all that and a bag of chips though, for instance I had to find Phil hendrie/Art Bell on LiveLeak because no one had uploaded it to the tube. tsk tsk.

Brock
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I've had to replace the drain pump on mine before. Can't really remember what precipitated that, though. It was real easy.

Simply Red
10-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I've had to replace the drain pump on mine before. Can't really remember what precipitated that, though. It was real easy.

Whirlpool?

Brock
10-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Whirlpool?

I think so....

Sorter
10-17-2013, 11:10 PM
It ain't all that and a bag of chips though, for instance I had to find Phil hendrie/Art Bell on LiveLeak because no one had uploaded it to the tube. tsk tsk.

This is also true.

Example: I watched 2 hour Marvin Lewis clinic today that was not found on youtube.

Good news: It was on vimeo. Decent streaming and quality.
Bad news: Lots of 2-gap. Eh.

Simply Red
10-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Good machines - easy to work on.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2013, 11:16 PM
This is also true.

Example: I watched 2 hour Marvin Lewis clinic today that was not found on youtube.

Good news: It was on vimeo. Decent streaming and quality.
Bad news: Lots of 2-gap. Eh.

LMAO

Ace Gunner
10-17-2013, 11:23 PM
top load
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/0/01/900x900px-LL-019ad613_funny-gifs-mammary-mondays-heavy-lifting.gif

CoMoChief
10-17-2013, 11:47 PM
If you don't mind me asking....what brand is it?

CaliforniaChief
10-18-2013, 12:13 AM

You are correct. I decided to try to take it apart and check the drain pump. Pulled it out, drained it, and sure enough there was my daughter's sock stuck in there. I used a needle-nose pliers and slowly got it out of there, reconnected everything and now it seems to be working fine. Agitating, draining, and spinning.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I still may use bath salts and antifreeze just for good measure. :D

CaliforniaChief
10-18-2013, 12:14 AM
If you don't mind me asking....what brand is it?

Kenmore 110 model

LoneWolf
10-18-2013, 03:39 AM
You are correct. I decided to try to take it apart and check the drain pump. Pulled it out, drained it, and sure enough there was my daughter's sock stuck in there. I used a needle-nose pliers and slowly got it out of there, reconnected everything and now it seems to be working fine. Agitating, draining, and spinning.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I still may use bath salts and antifreeze just for good measure. :D

I'll bet the guy who said "make her pay with her ass" feels really bad now.

spanky 52
10-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Pressure switch. Ours did the same thing about a month ago. 90 bucks for the part, 60 bucks for the service call. Took the guy about 2 minutes to replace it.

Imon Yourside
10-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Pressure switch. Ours did the same thing about a month ago. 90 bucks for the part, 60 bucks for the service call. Took the guy about 2 minutes to replace it.

Welp, I bet Macgyver is cheaper than that.

Ace Gunner
10-18-2013, 07:03 AM
this hot bitch is happy y'all gettin' it done
http://badsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Tig-ol-Bitties-41.gif

CoMoChief
10-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Kenmore 110 model

I see....

NewChief
10-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Sounds like you found the problem. Just in case, though, lid shut sensor is also a common, easily fixable issue when it won't spin/drain. I had to replace one a few months back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MFsvLiuTniU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief
10-18-2013, 08:10 AM

I paid 30 bucks for the part online, and it took me about 2 minutes to replace it as well. Youtube is a beautiful thing.

Strongside
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Hate to tell you this. But you're going to have to remove the body parts and drain the fluids to work on this thing.

CaliforniaChief
10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Sounds like you found the problem. Just in case, though, lid shut sensor is also a common, easily fixable issue when it won't spin/drain. I had to replace one a few months back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MFsvLiuTniU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, that was going to be my second try. That part went haywire on my in May 2012. I'm just relieved. That was a $150 service call that I just can't afford right now.

And yeah, I used 3 different You Tube videos to figure it out. One on how to diagnose the problem, a second on how to disassemble the washer, and a third on how to remove the water pump.

mike_b_284
10-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I'll bet the guy who said "make her pay with her ass" feels really bad now.

the assumption at the time was that wifey broke it. The turn of events does make it much more comical, in an incesty sort of way.

GESteve
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM

I own and run an appliance repair company pm me and I will help you out

CaliforniaChief
10-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I took it apart last night and found my daughter's sock clogging the water pump. Got it out, reassembled it, and all's good!

I'll remember this for future calamities for sure, though!!!

vailpass
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Props for being willing to hook a brother up...

GESteve
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Props for being willing to hook a brother up...

We are all family here

vailpass
10-18-2013, 12:00 PM
We are all family here

Yeah...the Adams Family mixed with the Bluth's. :)

BlackHelicopters
10-18-2013, 12:01 PM

Nice guy. Rep!

GESteve
10-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Should be called misfits planet