PDA

View Full Version : Life Walmart worker fired for helping woman being assaulted in parking lot

Beef Supreme
10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
HARTLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A Michigan man says he was fired from his job at Wal-Mart after he tried to help a woman being assaulted in the parking lot of one of the retail giant's stores and ended up fighting with her attacker.

Kristopher Oswald told WXYZ-TV in Detroit (http://bit.ly/18qGyBh ) that Wal-Mart has policies against workplace violence to prevent employees from assaulting co-workers or tackling a shoplifter, but that it appears that nothing allows for them to assist in situations of imminent danger and self-defense.

http://money.msn.com/investing/news.aspx?feed=AP&date=20131017&id=17011818

bevischief
10-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Wow.

TimeForWasp
10-18-2013, 01:10 PM
ban heros

Pitt Gorilla
10-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Sounds about right (for WalMart).

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
From a financial perspective, Woman beaters need to feel comfortable going to Walmart. This was a good decision for them.

Bowser
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Sounds like Wal-Mart is extremely afraid of being sued, even if the suing party are potential criminals themselves.

BigCatDaddy
10-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Sounds like Wal-Mart is extremely afraid of being sued, even if the suing party are potential criminals themselves.

It's cool. Anything to help with the Royals payroll :D

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard this.

Wal-Mart's policy is strict. From a moralist perspective you'd love to encourage it but from a legal perspective, if that guy gets shot, they're in a world of trouble (the Samaritan, not the criminal).

Ultimately I think there has to be a response here short of firing the guy. They need to be able to defend themselves against a suit if something like this goes bad and merely having the policy probably wouldn't be sufficient. But having the policy and being able to point to instances where people were suspended, etc... (showing strict enforcement of the policy) would probably be good enough.

It sucks, I know. But in the end, you have to realize that if Wal-Mart were to applaud this, they'd have to answer for it if someone ever did it and was badly hurt (or worse still, caused it to escalate and get someone else badly hurt).

BlackHelicopters
10-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Hard to believe.

Beef Supreme
10-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Wal-Mart's policy is strict. From a moralist perspective you'd love to encourage it but from a legal perspective, if that guy gets shot, they're in a world of trouble (the Samaritan, not the criminal).

Ultimately I think there has to be a response here short of firing the guy. They need to be able to defend themselves against a suit if something like this goes bad and merely having the policy probably wouldn't be sufficient. But having the policy and being able to point to instances where people were suspended, etc... (showing strict enforcement of the policy) would probably be good enough.

It sucks, I know. But in the end, you have to realize that if Wal-Mart were to applaud this, they'd have to answer for it if someone ever did it and was badly hurt (or worse still, caused it to escalate and get someone else badly hurt).

I would rather be sued for doing the right thing. They don't have to applaud it, but they could at least not be douchebags about it.

kstater
10-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Sounds about right (for WalMart).

Or any business. Liability issues.

Imon Yourside
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Too bad he didn't help assault the poor lady, he would have been promoted.

Johnny Vegas
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM

I'll take my chances with a jury.

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I would rather be sued for doing the right thing. They don't have to applaud it, but they could at least not be douchebags about it.

You can't put insert 'I' for a billion dollar enterprise that employs tens of thousands. They have to do the right thing for their business and by extension their employees.

And frankly, I think you're probably full of shit. If I had to choose between my families well-being and the well-being of a complete stranger, I'm choosing my families. If I get sued, lose my home and savings because I helped someone and my family's quality of life falls to shit because of it, I'll regret that decision every day of my life.

Oh sure, having 'done the right thing' will help ease the sting, but the sting will be very very real.

These considerations are always more complex than people want to believe. I used to pull over to help people change tires, use my phone, etc... then a couple in mid-mo got killed and there were a couple of other incidents in/around the central missouri area where people would try to help and end up dead for their troubles. Fuck that, I'm not leaving my wife as a single mother. Not leaving my kid without a dad.

I have more important people that I have to worry about.

Like I said - it sucks, but it's reality.

mike_b_284
10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
QT has a similar policy. In high school one of my assistant managers begged me not to tell any employees about how he whacked a guy over the head repeatedly with a squeegee handle for trying to steal cartons of smokes. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. The manager was about 4'6'' and the guy was built and tall enough to reach over the back of the checkstand, but I guess he was so shocked at being busted he just ran off.

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 01:46 PM
I'll take my chances with a jury.

Not if you're nameless, faceless Wal-Mart. Again, you can't insert an individual for a billion dollar company.

A jury will pound-fuck Wally World because they have faces to put to names on the other side of the v. They will have real-world stories of hardships created by the damage done.

Wal-Mart's argument will be "well we told him he shouldn't have been doing it, it's his own fault..."

Yeah, that's going to sell really well with 12 guys off the street.

Beef Supreme
10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
You can't put insert 'I' for a billion dollar enterprise that employs tens of thousands. They have to do the right thing for their business and by extension their employees.

And frankly, I think you're probably full of shit. If I had to choose between my families well-being and the well-being of a complete stranger, I'm choosing my families. If I get sued, lose my home and savings because I helped someone and my family's quality of life falls to shit because of it, I'll regret that decision every day of my life.

Oh sure, having 'done the right thing' will help ease the sting, but the sting will be very very real.

These considerations are always more complex than people want to believe. I used to pull over to help people change tires, use my phone, etc... then a couple in mid-mo got killed and there were a couple of other incidents in/around the central missouri area where people would try to help and end up dead for their troubles. **** that, I'm not leaving my wife as a single mother. Not leaving my kid without a dad.

Because money is so much more important than being a decent human being, right?

Predarat
10-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I know its the way it is but it sucks. Our society has diminished pretty horribly. Still you would think there would be other ways to go about this then firing the guy.

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Because money is so much more important than being a decent human being, right?

Taking care of your family is part and parcel with being a decent human being.

Family wins.

But again, standard mouthbreathing crap from the CP folks that talk a big game without ever thinking beyond the base-level nonsense. Yes, being a hero is awesome. Being homeless because you escalated a simple purse-snatching into a shooting, OTOH, is not so awesome.

Beef Supreme
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Taking care of your family is part and parcel with being a decent human being.

Family wins.

But again, standard mouthbreathing crap from the CP folks that talk a big game without ever thinking beyond the base-level nonsense. Yes, being a hero is awesome. Being homeless because you escalated a simple purse-snatching into a shooting, OTOH, is not so awesome.

I'll remember that when I walk past your wife while she's getting her shit stomped in.

Tombstone RJ
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM

spot on. When you're a billion dollar company and your market is in the middle of a sue happy country with more lawyers than common sense, you have to make tough decisions like this.

wanna blame someone, blame the ambulance chasing lawyer guy.

hometeam
10-18-2013, 02:09 PM

These considerations are always more complex than people want to believe. I used to pull over to help people change tires, use my phone, etc... then a couple in mid-mo got killed and there were a couple of other incidents in/around the central missouri area where people would try to help and end up dead for their troubles. **** that, I'm not leaving my wife as a single mother. Not leaving my kid without a dad.

What people where killed for helping someone? I mean sure we have had a few drug related murders around, and some crazy fruitcake shit, but I don't remember anything like you are describing.

bowener
10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I remember reading in school about the personal questionnaire they make all prospective job applicants fill out. If a person scored too close to being empathetic toward others they were much less likely (almost not all) to get a call back for an interview.

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
What people where killed for helping someone? I mean sure we have had a few drug related murders around, and some crazy fruitcake shit, but I don't remember anything like you are describing.

Near Randolph County a couple of years ago (may be a little longer; time really does get away from you as you hit 30+)- an older couple picked up a couple of guys needing a ride. They drove the both of them out into the woods and while I can't remember the details, my recollection is that they shot one of them (I believe the husband) execution style in the back of the head after walking him away from the car and then just killed the old woman for good measure later on.

CrazyPhuD
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Ban assault.....firings?? :shrug:

CrazyPhuD
10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
But seriously this is the legal world we live in, you can't make exception to these types of rules or you run the risk of a world of legal hurt. Our legal system = zero tolerance.

DJ's left nut
10-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I'll remember that when I walk past your wife while she's getting her shit stomped in.

Eh, you'd probably freeze up anyway.

Just about everyone that talks a big game loses their nerve when it matters. Ultimately all they've ever processed is the 'John McClain' scenario and when the rubber hits the road, they promptly shit themselves.

I'm confident you'll do the same.

But that's okay, you can keep on patting yourself on the back. The bottom line is that nobody knows how they'd react in that situation but if they view the world through kindergarten super hero lenses as you do, they're doing a great disservice to themselves and their loved ones.

Predarat
10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Give me a W!
Give me an A!
Give me an L!
Give me a squiggly!
Give me an M!
Give me an A!
Give me an R!
Give me a T!

What’s that spell?
Wal-Mart!

Whose Wal-Mart is it?
It’s my Wal-Mart!

Who's number one?
The customer! Always!

Beef Supreme
10-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Eh, you'd probably freeze up anyway.

Just about everyone that talks a big game loses their nerve when it matters. Ultimately all they've ever processed is the 'John McClain' scenario and when the rubber hits the road, they promptly shit themselves.

I'm confident you'll do the same.

But that's okay, you can keep on patting yourself on the back. The bottom line is that nobody knows how they'd react in that situation but if they view the world through kindergarten super hero lenses as you do, they're doing a great disservice to themselves and their loved ones.

You know how you would react. You definitely wouldn't do anything. You already said as much.

I don't have a hero complex, and I don't know how I would react, but at least I would like to think I would try to do something to help. I'd rather be a failed hero than a heartless douche. And I certainly wouldn't fire someone who did try to help.

Predarat
10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6n3bgiJq01rozk7ho1_500.gif

fan4ever
10-18-2013, 02:36 PM
From a financial perspective, Woman beaters need to feel comfortable going to Walmart. This was a good decision for them.

Are you on their Board of Directors? :hmmm:

Ace Gunner
10-18-2013, 02:49 PM
what's the matter with you people? you need to own a cellphone, rent phone service and call 911 and then wait for the police to come bag your carcass. jeesh. troublemakers.

hometeam
10-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Near Randolph County a couple of years ago (may be a little longer; time really does get away from you as you hit 30+)- an older couple picked up a couple of guys needing a ride. They drove the both of them out into the woods and while I can't remember the details, my recollection is that they shot one of them (I believe the husband) execution style in the back of the head after walking him away from the car and then just killed the old woman for good measure later on.

Hmm.. I remember something similar where 2 escape convicts actually carjacked an old man and woman and killed them. Not sure if its the same.

Still, that's why we have CCW

SAUTO
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM

was that degraffenreid, skillicorn and nicklasson? they killed several good Samaritans across the US in 1993 IIRC.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM

These considerations are always more complex than people want to believe. I used to pull over to help people change tires, use my phone, etc... then a couple in mid-mo got killed and there were a couple of other incidents in/around the central missouri area where people would try to help and end up dead for their troubles. Fuck that, I'm not leaving my wife as a single mother. Not leaving my kid without a dad.

Every single last bit of this. I used to try and help people all the time. No more. Too many people ended up dead for their help, not me. My wife, and my family deserve better than that.