PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How Did Today's Performance Change Your Outlook on the Chiefs?

CaliforniaChief
10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Do you feel better about them? The offense put some nice drives together, the line seemed to play much better, and they were able to run the ball some...and the defense rose up in the 2nd half to shut down the Texans, who seemed to play one of their best games of the year (mistake free, at least)

Do you feel the same about them? Offense is still meh, goes brain-dead at times, some missed opportunities, continued questionable plays, etc.

Do you feel worse? A true rookie on the active roster for the first time looked like a stud in the first half and without Foster, Cushing, Tate was hobbled, etc. we still almost lost the game at home.

What say you? Poll forthcoming.

Rasputin
10-20-2013, 07:58 PM
In before poll

Same as before gonna see what we get in the playoffs.

TinyEvel
10-20-2013, 07:59 PM
One more win. I feel better! We have a solid run of adjusting after halftime. our 3rd and 4th quarter numbers are solid. Get Bowe involved more and keep injuries out of the picture and we are BEST IN THE WEST!!!!

PBJ

bsp4444
10-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Has to be the ugliest 7-0 season ever!

Jakemall
10-20-2013, 08:01 PM

No one remembers how tough the games were after the season was over...only that you won or lost.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
I was very encouraged by the play of the offensive line. It seems like it was their best game of the year. The offense looked good in the first half and the defense shut the door in the second half. I wish they would have played a more complete game altogether, but they beat a pretty good team today (despite their record). Houston was among the best in the league in both offense and defense and was primarily losing because of turnovers.

Snapplez
Feels the same overall. Defense is gonna be our strong suit. Offensive line felt a little better overall today, but maybe that was just perception. Smiff was still terrible

Hammock Parties
We have a great D and a below average offense.

Same as it's been all year for the most part.

I enjoy the wins but I'm left feeling...cold...like the cold that chilled your feet when Lin Elliot shanked his way into memory.

Demonpenz
10-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I think Alex Smith is terrible. Can't make NFL throws. Defense though is off the chain.

teedubya
10-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Same as it's been all year for the most part.

I enjoy the wins but I'm left feeling...cold...like the cold that chilled your feet when the kicker that shall go unnamed shanked his way into memory.

This. The offense is borderline anemic. The Defense is amazing.

I feel that this is like the teams of the 90s... I fully expect our hearts to be ripped out in January. That being said, I'm enjoying the ride.

Rasputin
10-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Dustin Colquitt had a bad punt in the first half got me little worried, but he was clutch in the second half.

Deberg_1990
10-20-2013, 08:11 PM
We were a 2 win team last year. I expected an 8-9 win season. I'm ecstatic at this point.

Valiant
10-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Wins are always good, especially when you can get enough to get in the playoffs.

But this team just looks like it will lose its first playoff game. The offense is as scary as the defense but in a bad way.

Hoover
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
It's called finding a way to win, and I'm never going to bitch or get own watching this team win even if its not pretty. For YEARS we lost games like this, but not anymore.

Oh, and I love the defense.

SPATCH
10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Things that the Texans had going for them:

1. New (unscouted) QB
2. Emotional boost with death of Bum Phillips
3. Played the role of underdog.
4. Had nothing to lose

I didn't like to the feeling of this game going into it.

Very satisfied to be 7-0.

TripleThreat
10-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I think Alex Smith is terrible. Can't make NFL throws. Defense though is off the chain.

Such a educated post....

CaliforniaChief
10-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I voted better, but barely. The main reason is because of the offensive line. I admit readily that this is a snap judgment, but the protection was better and I hope/expect that they're just going to get better. Bringing Fasano back seemed to help on the line.

Alex Smith had another mediocre game. It was better than the last two, but just a couple of critical errors that will kill us. Charles is awesome.

The defense continues to wow me. Tentative in the first half, they just took over in the 2nd. I have no reason to believe that won't continue.

I'm still not sold on the long-term viability but tonight, I don't care. I'm enjoying one helluva ride.

Chiefshrink
10-20-2013, 08:28 PM
We were able to run the ball and keep Watt at bay to some degree of success which is very good as we go into serious divisional play in the near future. IF we can consistently run the ball and I say a BIG IF we should be fine. If not we will get toasted by Manning and Rivers.

keg in kc
10-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Feel the same. The game went exactly the way that I was afraid it would, it never should have been that close, although the offense did show some signs that things may finally be turning around in the first half. But then they played the second half. In any case, this was the best game of the year for the line, and if they're getting it together, the whole unit should start to get it together.

On the flip side, the defensive adjustments and performance in the second half were tremendous. Tamba Hali should be player of the week again.

The encouraging thing is that they continue to find ways to win. It's very hard to start 7-0.

DaFace
10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
I actually feel better. Despite Houston's record, they've been a pretty damn good team on both sides of the ball (in terms of yards). The new kid definitely gave them a spark, and he far surpassed my expectations for poise. It'll be interesting to watch them (now that we're done with them).

RunKC
10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
The OL really looked much better than it has today. It gives me hope.

Wish we had Kelce though. Feel like he would make some plays.

jjchieffan
10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
I said better as well. The offense looked better despite the fact that we were playing against the top ranked defense. The line looked much better, Smith was throwing deep. and the D, who was looking pretty bad in the first half, made the needed adjustments and dominated in the second half. Very encouraging overall.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Such a educated post....

Not sure if serious?

Deberg_1990
10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Phil Simms sounded sold and Jizzed in his pants over the Chiefs D.

cosmo20002
10-20-2013, 08:42 PM

I doubt it. Not that we're awesome, but even the great teams every year have close wins, ugly wins, and they even lose games.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I actually feel better. Despite Houston's record, they've been a pretty damn good team on both sides of the ball (in terms of yards). The new kid definitely gave them a spark, and he far surpassed my expectations for poise. It'll be interesting to watch them (now that we're done with them).

Yep, I agree. The only reason their record is so bad is because Schaub gives out pick-sixes like candy on Halloween. Other than that, their offense and defense have both been very good all year.

I am extremely satisfied with this victory.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 08:43 PM

They've won 5 of 7 games by double digits.

TheUte
10-20-2013, 08:47 PM

This is laughable, terrible really.

No team in the NFL goes 7-0 with a terrible QB.

He made plenty of mistakes sure, but far, far from terrible.

Eleazar
10-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't think we learned anything.

The defense is one of the top units in the league.

The offense has to get better.

This team is well-coached and prepared to play every week.

They seem to have a lot of team spirit and cohesiveness, they battle, to a man, up and down the roster.

I don't know if we are contenders, but this team is going to be tough to put down.

MahiMike
10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Things that the Texans had going for them:

1. New (unscouted) QB
2. Emotional boost with death of Bum Phillips
3. Played the role of underdog.
4. Had nothing to lose

I didn't like to the feeling of this game going into it.

Very satisfied to be 7-0.

Dude. Bruuno mars kiks ass.

chiefzilla1501
10-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Despite what the score says, at least we saw what our offensive talent is capable of bringing us. This was a very effective offensive game held back because of a few bad plays at the wrong moments. And it wasn't just Alex Smith. Smith botched a clear TD on 4th and 1, Charles a careless fumble another drive, Bowe with a critical drop.

On the bright side, McCluster played the best game of his career, Smith was 7 for 11 on passing third downs and was nails on third down most of the day, Fasano was tremendous blocking, our offensive line as a whole is starting to get it, and while Smith is missing his deep shots, he's starting to take some chances.

For the past few games, the Chiefs' offense struggled to gain an inch. Today, they had one of their most effective games of the season but left points on the table. I'll take that, but we gotta start closing.

O.city
10-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I thought today was our best offensive effort, against a pretty good defense. Ol best game to date.

Smith wasn't bad today, but left about 10 points on the field, and missed a few easy plays.

I think the offense is closer, and the ol playing well will help immensely

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2013, 09:19 PM

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2013, 09:23 PM
This was the most impressive win of the season, IMO.

Young mobile QB with a live arm. No game film. College type broken plays. The defense didn't show much in the first half and stayed patient. They totally dominated in the second half.

Once again, turnovers in the Red Zone. Charles fumbles (like Avery last week), McCluster doesn't finish his route resulting in a INT. Fourth down conversion fails. They take a knee at the end of the game.

This team would have scored three points had they not chosen to go for it on 4th and at least three had they not been classy and kneeled down.

Jeff Allen played his best game. Fisher got his ass beat from time to time but recovered. Fasano was a factor. Bowe in the slot was money.

Regardless of the scoreboard, they're making progress offensively and kicking ass defensively.

O.city
10-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Young mobile QB with a live arm. No game film. College type broken plays. The defense didn't show much in the first half and stayed patient. They totally dominated in the second half.

Once again, turnovers in the Red Zone. Charles fumbles (like Avery last week), McCluster doesn't finish his route resulting in a INT. Fourth down conversion fails. They take a knee at the end of the game.

This team would have scored three points had they not chosen to go for it on 4th and at least three had they not been classy and kneeled down.

Jeff Allen played his best game. Fisher got his ass beat from time to time but recovered. Fasano was a factor. Bowe in the slot was money.

Regardless of the scoreboard, they're making progress offensively and kicking ass defensively.

Rep.

Discuss Thrower
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Offense needs to step it up majorly to compete with Indy, Denver or San Diego

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM

LMAO

Discuss Thrower
10-20-2013, 09:36 PM
LMAO

And why is this laughable? The defense cannot be the only thing KC has in every game. There'll be an offensive line that neutralizes the pass rush at some point. The secondary can get exposed by the right mix of talent and scheme.

Alex and the offense has to show it can put up 24 points in a game without turnovers or special teams scores.

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2013, 09:38 PM
And why is this laughable? The defense cannot be the only thing KC has in every game. There'll be an offensive line that neutralizes the pass rush at some point. The secondary can get exposed by the right mix of talent and scheme.

Alex and the offense has to show it can put up 24 points in a game without turnovers or special teams scores.

I don't think you're watching the other 31 teams

mdchiefsfan
10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I noticed more I formation and Bowe bring in the slot was huge. I liked the adjustments.

DenverChief
10-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I thought with Fasano back our offense looked much better

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 09:44 PM

San Diego? The team that's 3 games behind in the division?

Hammock Parties
10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
:facepalm:

Why the facepalm?

18 PPG is below average.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Accurate.

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Why the facepalm?

18 PPG is below average.

You're below average

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
You're below average

ROFL

Reerun_KC
10-21-2013, 12:02 AM
You're below average

This is how you end a thread. Dane with the kill shot.

Anyong Bluth
10-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Game me hope in offensive improvement.
Enthusiasm that our special teams are actually special.
A giant burr up my ass trying to figure out what went on with the defense. Point totals do not reflect the lapses that occurred, and maybe it's a good lesson for them overestimating that teams will go into a shell simply based on fear or their reputation.

Iconic
10-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Denver losing impacted me more than the Chiefs winning.

Simply Red
10-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Denver losing impacted me more than the Chiefs winning.

I tend to agree here. Same thing.

Trakkk
10-21-2013, 12:51 AM
3 years from now, win/loss is what matters.

It aint always pretty, but since when is undefeated ever pretty? I'll tell you when... in the future looking back.

3 losses, 4 at most, hopefully. Schedule starts to get a lot more real very soon.

Sorter
10-21-2013, 12:52 AM
3 years from now, win/loss is what matters.

It aint always pretty, but since when is undefeated ever pretty? I'll tell you when... in the future looking back.

3 losses, 4 at most, hopefully. Schedule starts to get a lot more real very soon.

Thanks!

lcarus
10-21-2013, 01:23 AM
I have a feeling the offense is going to improve. We've had some opportunities go down the drain but moved the ball at times. Having Fasano back should help on offense as a whole. I just want the offense to get better enough to where they can score around 24-28 points every game. If they can do that, we'll win 14.

Danguardace
10-21-2013, 01:23 AM
I am starting to believe I thought the Offense played its best it has all year, even though that is not reflected in the scoreline. Felt like we hurt ourselves more than them dominating us.

This was a big banana skin against a desperate, talented and underachieving team and we came through, I was really worried about it but we manage to survive the spark Keenum gave them and shut him down in the second.

lcarus
10-21-2013, 01:27 AM
I am starting to believe I thought the Offense played its best it has all year, even though that is not reflected in the scoreline. Felt like we hurt ourselves more than them dominating us.

This was a big banana skin against a desperate, talented and underachieving team and we came through, I was really worried about it but we manage to survive the spark Keenum gave them and shut him down in the second.

Should have had 24 points in this one at least. Fasano was in on that. The opportunities are there and I expect them to start taking advantage more often.

Warrior5
10-21-2013, 02:02 AM

This. We left points on the field, but that is fixable. Chiefs needed this "gut-out" win to continue progress. Tough wins facilitate improvement.

BlackHelicopters
10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Enjoy!

trndobrd
10-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Slightly better. O-line looked slightly better as a unit in the first half. 7-0 is better than 6-0.

hometeam
10-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I feel about the same.

offense looked slightly better, and D still looked dominant.

Still worried about actually having to score offensively.

warrior
10-21-2013, 07:37 AM
You're below average

Bumped for truth :)

KCUnited
10-21-2013, 07:38 AM
I feel the same about how the Chiefs are doing what they need to do to win, but I feel better about all the other factors that seem to be going KC's way. Schaub out, Foster/Cushing go down early, Denver loses, Indy loses Wayne.

I feel like we're heading into the 7th inning with opponents line at 0-0-0, but don't want to bring up the obvious and risk a jinx.

I'm just sitting here whistling why I work.

Ace Gunner
10-21-2013, 07:42 AM
still don't like the inside three of the OL. Allen, Hudson & Asamoah are this team's weakness.

Dayze
10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm just glad we didn't see the "Hey, Mr. Backup QB Never Started An NFL Game Before - Come light us up for you one and only big game" - defense didn't show up.

KC_Lee
10-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Getting near 50% on third down conversions (7-15) made me feel better. Also getting Fasano back at TE will only help the conversion percentage rise. That has been one of our biggest weaknesses while we are on this run.

morphius
10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Really didn't change anything, but like someone else said, I'm glad they didn't pull the nice trick of letting a first time QB come in and walk all over us.

I'd fell a lot better about this team if Alex would start hitting a couple of those long balls.

PunkinDrublic
10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
I don't think people appreciate how hard it is to win consistently in the NFL week after week. Weak schedule or not it's pretty damn tough tough to start off 7-0. Teams are starting to find wrinkles in our d and we will have some losses sooner or later but we have to find a way to get more points on the board on offense.

hometeam
10-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Really didn't change anything, but like someone else said, I'm glad they didn't pull the nice trick of letting a first time QB come in and walk all over us.

I'd fell a lot better about this team if Alex would start hitting a couple of those long balls.

I was encouraged to see him at least TRYING to get some long balls.

Completions would be nice but you have to start somewhere, and letting that ball go is the first thing.

whoman69
10-21-2013, 09:02 AM
I feel the same because I couldn't watch the game. Why was the GB - Cle game a late game? For that matter why was the KC - Hou game a late game?

warrior
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I feel the same because I couldn't watch the game. Why was the GB - Cle game a late game? For that matter why was the KC - Hou game a late game?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-21-2013, 09:27 AM
So...who do we put on Welker?

Radar Chief
10-21-2013, 09:37 AM

The "Career Day Defense", but they had me worried in the first half.

The Franchise
10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
You can see the offense starting to click on drives. We've got 2 more games and a bye week to get this bitch firing on all cylinders. Getting Fasano back was huge.

I'm fucking excited.

warrior
10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
You can see the offense starting to click on drives. We've got 2 more games and a bye week to get this bitch firing on all cylinders. Getting Fasano back was huge.

I'm ****ing excited.

I agree and

Most of us CHIEF fans are excited :thumb:

warrior
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM
So...who do we put on Welker?

Flowers

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Flowers

My thinking exactly. Although, I wonder if Flowers is fast enough to keep up with him.

warrior
10-21-2013, 11:23 AM
My thinking exactly. Although, I wonder if Flowers is fast enough to keep up with him.

Flowers speed is a concern but he matches up best with Welker can't wait till both these Denver Manning games as well as the Colts game.

hometeam
10-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Welker isn't exactly a burner.

Flowers struggles with big tall guys, I think he is a perfect matchup for Welker.

Nightfyre
10-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Flowers speed is a concern but he matches up best with Welker can't wait till both these Denver Manning games as well as the Colts game.

I agree that Flowers is an ideal matchup against Welker. Thinking a little bit ahead here, but I anticipate us generally lining up with Smith on Thomas, Cooper on Decker, Flowers on Welker, Berry on Thomas. We will bring 5-6 guys damn near every play, I would bet.

warrior
10-21-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree that Flowers is an ideal matchup against Welker. Thinking a little bit ahead here, but I anticipate us generally lining up with Smith on Thomas, Cooper on Decker, Flowers on Welker, Berry on Thomas. We will bring 5-6 guys damn near every play, I would bet.

Bottom line we match up well- we might just might win both games/

I can dream :D

Nightfyre
10-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Bottom line we match up well- we might just might win both games/

I can dream :D

If we win one of the games (assuming Manning is still their QB), I will concede that this team can win with Alex Smith in the playoffs. That said, I will still not concede that Alex Smith is a franchise QB or anything more than a game-managing placeholder.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-21-2013, 07:26 PM

This looks good on paper. Let's hope Sutton agrees.

If Flowers shows dominance in the slot, there he should stay. He's generally been a very physical guy and one of our better tacklers. I remember him cleaning up after Brown and Pollard back in the day.

The shitty, shitty day...