PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF, Week 7

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 05:27 PM
1. Anthony Fasano's return did not go well, catches aside. He had a -3.4 blocking grade. We need more from that guy in the running game.

2. Branden Albert had another fine game, in fact his best pass blocking grade of the season at 2.5. For the year he has given up just one sack, and stands as the 4th ranked pass blocking LT.

3. Eric Fisher was bad. Not as bad as the Oakland game (-4.8), but still awful (-3.4). He allowed 4 pressures, and his run blocking grade was what really did in him. His pass blocking grade (-0.5) wasn't awful, relatively speaking, so maybe that's something to build on. He remains in the bottom 5 OT rankings.

4. Alex Smith was 1 for 4 throwing outside the numbers 10+ yards down the field. For the game, he completed 7 passes behind the line and 3 that traveled over 10 yards. That's phenomenally LOL. See the Alex Smith Sucks megathread for more on him, including his 7-game passing chart. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10114703&postcount=7052)

5. Mike Devito had his best game as a Chief. +4.7 is dominant, and most of that was against the run. For the season he's the 4th ranked 3-4 end. Great pickup.

6. Hali and Houston actually had a tough time against Houston's offensive tackles. They combined for just 3 QB hurries. For the season they're still #1 and #4 in overall rankings (Houston #1) and Hali leads the entire league, every fucking position in QB pressures with 40. Houston is the next closest with 28. LMAO

7. Marcus Cooper is our highest rated CB this year. That's because hasn't played as much, but still: every game he has recorded a positive grade this season. Here is a great Cooper stat: he has allowed 37% of passes thrown his way to be completed. That's 3rd in the entire league. 10/27. Sean Smith is 8th (17/40), btw. GOOD FOR YOU. OH GOOD FOR YOU.

8. Interesting note on Allen Bailey: with 10 snaps of total pressure generated in 88 pass-rush attempts, he ranks 9th in pass rush productivity for 3-4 ends. Obviously that's a small sample size, but his PRP is just below Justin Smith's. Maybe we should give him more snaps.

9. Only one WR in football has forced more missed tackles this year than Dwayne Bowe. This year his drop rate is just 3.85, which is the best of his career. (1 drop in 42 targets)

10. And I'll just leave this here:

Poe Wins Out

In the anticipated matchup of Chiefs nose tackle Dontari Poe (+2.2) and Texans center Chris Myers (-2.6), Poe emerged with a convincing victory. Despite moments of give and take, Poe notched a pair of hurries and a hit on the QB at Myers’ expense to go with three tackles for no or short gains. After just two games with green overall grades in 2012, Poe has hit stride and is looking at a near-full page with five of seven games this year showing significant positives. Myers, on the other hand, suffers his first red day – and just his second in the last two seasons. A big trophy for Poe with this display against the league’s top-graded center.

Season rankings for Poe (out of top 40 DTs)

#9 overall
#2 against the run
#15 in pass rush
#3 in tackles
#5 in stops (a "stop" is defined here (https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/faq/))
#11 in run stop percentage (the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense.)
#19 in pass rush productivity (pressure created on a per snap basis with weighting toward sacks.)

Direckshun
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Really surprised by most of what I see here, especially the Fisher stuff.

I thought Fisher played pretty well.

Direckshun
10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
What WR makes defenders miss more, by the way?

Dez Bryant?

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 05:31 PM

His pass blocking grade indicates that he held his own.

Sounds like he was getting 0 push in the running game.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
What WR makes defenders miss more, by the way?

Dez Bryant?

Golden Tate.

Fuck you, Pioli.

Direckshun
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
His pass blocking grade indicates that he held his own.

Sounds like he was getting 0 push in the running game.

Yeah, that's not what I (thought I) was seeing. I thought he played the run superbly almost all game.

Direckshun
10-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Golden Tate.

**** you, Pioli.

Jesus.

Saul Good
10-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Those numbers for Poe seem insanely good when you consider that he plays NT. I would expect 4-3 DTs to have an advantage from a statistical standpoint.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 05:35 PM
You know who is right behind Poe?

Star Loutelelei or however you spell it.

Imagine if we had picked Star to team with Poe.

My GOD.

RealSNR
10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
9. Only one WR in football has forced more missed tackles this year than Dwayne Bowe. This year his drop rate is just 3.85, which is the best of his career. (1 drop in 42 targets)

You all see now why I first used the "swings the biggest, chocolatiest penis in the AFC West" line on Bowe.

Direckshun
10-22-2013, 05:39 PM
You know who is right behind Poe?

Star Loutelelei or however you spell it.

Imagine if we had picked Star to team with Poe.

My GOD.

I knooowwwww brooooo.

jwilson
10-22-2013, 06:05 PM
How did the rest of the oline grade out? Progression? Same bucket of shit?

cdcox
10-22-2013, 06:09 PM

But I read on Chiefsplanet that Bowe was good for 2 drops per game.

loochy
10-22-2013, 06:27 PM
But I read on Chiefsplanet that Bowe was good for 2 drops per game.

Yeah, you read that from a bunch of douche 49er fans

chiefzilla1501
10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
1. Anthony Fasano's return did not go well, catches aside. He had a -3.4 blocking grade. We need more from that guy in the running game.

2. Branden Albert had another fine game, in fact his best pass blocking grade of the season at 2.5. For the year he has given up just one sack, and stands as the 4th ranked pass blocking LT.

3. Eric Fisher was bad. Not as bad as the Oakland game (-4.8), but still awful (-3.4). He allowed 4 pressures, and his run blocking grade was what really did in him. His pass blocking grade (-0.5) wasn't awful, relatively speaking, so maybe that's something to build on. He remains in the bottom 5 OT rankings.

4. Alex Smith was 1 for 4 throwing outside the numbers 10+ yards down the field. For the game, he completed 7 passes behind the line and 3 that traveled over 10 yards. That's phenomenally LOL. See the Alex Smith Sucks megathread for more on him, including his 7-game passing chart. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10114703&postcount=7052)

5. Mike Devito had his best game as a Chief. +4.7 is dominant, and most of that was against the run. For the season he's the 4th ranked 3-4 end. Great pickup.

6. Hali and Houston actually had a tough time against Houston's offensive tackles. They combined for just 3 QB hurries. For the season they're still #1 and #4 in overall rankings (Houston #1) and Hali leads the entire league, every ****ing position in QB pressures with 40. Houston is the next closest with 28. LMAO

7. Marcus Cooper is our highest rated CB this year. That's because hasn't played as much, but still: every game he has recorded a positive grade this season. Here is a great Cooper stat: he has allowed 37% of passes thrown his way to be completed. That's 3rd in the entire league. 10/27. Sean Smith is 8th (17/40), btw. GOOD FOR YOU. OH GOOD FOR YOU.

8. Interesting note on Allen Bailey: with 10 snaps of total pressure generated in 88 pass-rush attempts, he ranks 9th in pass rush productivity for 3-4 ends. Obviously that's a small sample size, but his PRP is just below Justin Smith's. Maybe we should give him more snaps.

10. And I'll just leave this here:

Season rankings for Poe (out of top 40 DTs)

#9 overall
#2 against the run
#15 in pass rush
#3 in tackles
#5 in stops (a "stop" is defined here (https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/faq/))
#11 in run stop percentage (the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense.)
#19 in pass rush productivity (pressure created on a per snap basis with weighting toward sacks.)

I didn't think that sounded right on Fisher in the run game. I rewatched every run (I quit at about 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Think I saw as much as I needed to see).

Here's what I saw. There were several blocks where Fisher was really not involved in the play, including one where Watt accelerates past him (but it was a sprint play so Watt overruns Charles). There were a few blocks that were hard to grade because they were short yardage -- one where Fisher ineffectively cut blocks Watt, but it's just enough to get Charles a 4 yard gain on 2nd and 1. Another where on 2nd and 1, he drives his blocker 5 yards downfield, then loses the block. There's another play where it seems like Asamoah actually blocks Fisher on the goal line. It seems Fisher's problem is that he's driving or getting to his blockers downfield 5-10 yards, but then loses them. In one case, he completely whiffs. That's a different story than getting killed off the snap but it's something he needs to improve. Anybody can feel free to find run plays that were bad beyond that.

Was he a liability in the run game? No. Did he hold a few runs from bigger gains? Looks like it. Did he make big time plays? Only a few. I don't think it's accurate to say he wasn't good against the run this game. He didn't help or hurt the run game much. That's pretty much what PFF's ratings say.

the Talking Can
10-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Bowe isn't good enough for a QB of Smith's caliber....or something...

BossChief
10-22-2013, 06:33 PM
ROFL how is Dexter doing so far?

ILChief
10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
BS that Albert has only given up one sack this year

ILChief
10-22-2013, 06:36 PM

He did. PFF is stupid

aturnis
10-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah, you read that from a bunch of douche Chiefs fans

Fixed it for ya.

aturnis
10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
He did. PFF is stupid

You're and idiot. Better than awful isn't good. Fisher was obviously had to anyone with eyes. Was he as bad as he has been? No, not really, but still not good.

chiefzilla1501
10-22-2013, 07:17 PM
You're and idiot. Better than awful isn't good. Fisher was obviously had to anyone with eyes. Was he as bad as he has been? No, not really, but still not good.

Fisher didn't ruin many plays at all in the run game. He lost points because he wasn't able to hold all his blocks 5-10 yards downfield. And in many cases, didn't get many points because he held his block in a play that wasn't really run toward him. He wasn't bad, he wasn't good.

Titty Meat
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
PFF is nothing more than junk science by some English wanker. The fact Clay uses it like the bible should tell you something. Look at the guys playet evaluations they are the worst on this board.

Snapplez
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM

He was terrible instead of outright dogshit. Progress! Totally worth the pick!!

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
ROFL how is Dexter doing so far?

Least productive slot receiver in the league.

TLO
10-22-2013, 07:59 PM

How does he rank among punt returners? I want to like Dex.. he just seems... well, pretty useless. Adequate to above average at returning punts (at times), but that's it. Any other production from him is a nice little bonus.

MagicHef
10-22-2013, 08:57 PM
How does he rank among punt returners? I want to like Dex.. he just seems... well, pretty useless. Adequate to above average at returning punts (at times), but that's it. Any other production from him is a nice little bonus.

3rd best punt returner in the league.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
PFF is nothing more than junk science by some English wanker. The fact Clay uses it like the bible should tell you something. Look at the guys playet evaluations they are the worst on this board.

Lonewolf wants his post back

chiefzilla1501
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Regardless of how you feel about his career, he was one of the best offensive players against Houston.

LoneWolf
10-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Lonewolf wants his post back

I was actually happy that someone else posted the truth. Saved me from having to spend the time typing it out.

MagicHef
10-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I understand the reservations about his methods, I have the same reservations.

I don't understand what him being English has to do with anything. He's probably watched nearly every snap of football for the past 5 and a half years. I think he's familiar with the sport by now.

Chiefspants
10-22-2013, 10:01 PM
I understand the reservations about his methods, I have the same reservations.

I don't understand what him being English has to do with anything. He's probably watched nearly every snap of football for the past 5 and a half years. I think he's familiar with the sport by now.

The Mane doesn't seem too supportive of the resource.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Regardless of how you feel about his career, he was one of the best offensive players against Houston.

It was the best game I've ever seen him play.

If he could do that every week I'd love the guy.

aturnis
10-23-2013, 12:07 AM

69 of his 70 yards were YAC. Way to go Alex.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Alex is 30th in air yards.

55 percent of his yardage this season is due to YAC.

Chiefspants
10-23-2013, 12:09 AM

Alex put Dex in the perfect position to make those plays.

http://img.pr0gramm.com/2011/06/memes-trollface-irl.jpg

ILChief
10-23-2013, 05:57 AM

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/19/4124950/bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-not-a-fan-of-pro-football-focus

WhiteWhale
10-23-2013, 06:38 AM
BS that Albert has only given up one sack this year

2 if you count times his guy has sacked the QB... but PFF puts it on the QB if he holds the ball for 5 seconds.

So yeah... and also, Eric Fisher gets manhandled in the running game and has all season. His pass pro was okay (at best) but he once again got his shit pushed in most of the game.

Chiefshrink
10-23-2013, 06:45 AM

What I saw was pretty much getting manhandled especially during pass blocking.

Imon Yourside
10-23-2013, 06:46 AM
What I saw was pretty much getting manhandled especially during pass blocking.

I did like the hit Charles put on Watts when he helped on the double team.

the Talking Can
10-23-2013, 06:59 AM
my impression was that Watt basically did wreck our OL in the second half, no clue if any numbers back that up...

ILChief
10-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Oh, and as an example of PFF's awesomeness:

Vincent Jackson had 10 catches for 120+ yards and 2TD's and it got him a -2.2 from PFF

mcaj22
10-23-2013, 07:26 AM
that's because Vincent Jackson doesn't block or give a **** so yeah. he only cares when the play is going to directly to him, not team ball. If you ever watch him he just takes plays off literally stands there. He didn't always do this, but I think since the team sucks and he got his money he doesn't care.

MotherfuckerJones
10-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Albert has been solid. He's been banged up but what player isn't at week 8? I'm not sold on Fisher so I'd keep Albert. Fuck it have 2 bookend tackles.

ILChief
10-23-2013, 07:30 AM
that's because Vincent Jackson doesn't block or give a **** so yeah. he only cares when the play is going to directly to him, not team ball. If you ever watch him he just takes plays off literally stands there. He didn't always do this, but I think since the team sucks and he got his money he doesn't care.

So blocking is enough for a wr to not only cancel out those numbers, but bring the grade down that low? PFF is a good idea but their formula sucks

chiefzilla1501
10-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Agreed. And also agree with you that as a receiver, until this week, he's mostly been very unproductive.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-23-2013, 07:37 AM
So blocking is enough for a wr to not only cancel out those numbers, but bring the grade down that low? PFF is a good idea but their formula sucks

It shows their all around efforts, not just FF stats. There is much more to the game than just catching balls.

aturnis
10-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Maybe this?

Vincent Jackson’s Curious GradeThis is a good example of a grade (-2.2) diverging pretty significantly from the box score stats — 10 catches for 138 yards and two TD’s. So what gives? Jackson recorded a couple of penalties, one of which (false start) was just bush-league lack of concentration, but the majority of the negative comes in the hidden poor plays that don’t show up in the box score. He dropped three passes, only one of which was a particularly tough catch, and one of them was in the end zone. He also fumbled a ball trying to fight for extra yardage and extending carelessly in the path of danger. He was also relentlessly targeted to get those receptions. He caught the ball 10 times, but was thrown at a massive 22, or 50% of*Mike Glennon’s*attempts. It may have been an impressive fantasy day, but Jackson’s real-world performance didn’t quite live up to the numbers

BlackHelicopters
10-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Yeah, you read that from a bunch of douche 49er fans

Is there any other kind?

loochy
10-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Is there any other kind?

I don't know. I don't have enough experience with them to really know. I do know that around here there's not.

KCrockaholic
10-23-2013, 08:12 PM
How did JJ Watt score a 9.2 against KC? I was at the game. What did I miss? I thought we did pretty decent against him.

Easy 6
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
So many guys coming into their own this year... Poe, Bailey, Houston, Cooper, and yes, even Dex.

God as my witness, DMC actually looked both fast and quick on sunday.

PFF, still a cool idea and worth looking into, but still flawed.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2013, 08:41 PM
How did JJ Watt score a 9.2 against KC? I was at the game. What did I miss? I thought we did pretty decent against him.

1 sack, 2 QB hits, 2 QB hurries, 1 pass breakup, and 4 stops in the running game

Excellent days work.

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2013, 08:51 PM
my impression was that Watt basically did wreck our OL in the second half, no clue if any numbers back that up...

Your impression is that everything the Chiefs do, especially Smith, is garbage and their opponents are superior.

You suck at watching football.

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2013, 09:08 PM

No. It's fucking bullshit.

Metrics and Sabermetrics have absolutely NO business in football.

For example, a pitcher's pitch, whether it's a Ball or Strike, isn't dependent on the Shortstop: It's either a ball or a strike.

But a complete or incomplete pass is dependent on a variety of people, from offense to defense.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
No. It's fucking bullshit.

For example, a pitcher's pitch, whether it's a Ball or Strike, isn't dependent on the Shortstop: It's either a ball or a strike.

But a complete or incomplete pass is dependent on a variety of people, from offense to defense.

PFF had Cassel pegged as a piece of poo even during his "good" 2010 season.

It has it's worth.

And it's very worthwhile for stuff like passing charts, so you can see Alex's complete inability to throw outside the numbers.

O.city
10-23-2013, 09:25 PM

It has it's worth.

And it's very worthwhile for stuff like passing charts, so you can see Alex's complete inability to throw outside the numbers.

So if it had him pegged as poo, why were you, the Marshall of pff, writing articles about how he was te savior?

3 and 18?

Easy 6
10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
No. It's ****ing bullshit.

Those are excellent points, these kind of stats differ greatly for football, i just think its a matter of having a flawed, baseball-like formula and too many armchair NFL poobahs who dont really know what they're looking at on a given play ie; who had what responsibility etc.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
So if it had him pegged as poo, why were you, the Marshall of pff, writing articles about how he was te savior?

3 and 18?

PFF liked what he did during his brief productive stretch.

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2013, 09:29 PM

You've been pegged as a piece of poo since 2002

Hammock Parties
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
You've been pegged as a piece of poo since 2002

I like you very much.

patteeu
10-23-2013, 10:43 PM

I was watching the game with some friends who don't watch many Chiefs games and before it started they asked me about Dexter McCluster and I told them that he never really did much for the team. And then he goes and has one of the better games he's ever had to make me look stupid. He still wasn't great, but he had a couple of clutch plays.

the Talking Can
10-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Your impression is that everything the Chiefs do, especially Smith, is garbage and their opponents are superior.

You suck at watching football.

hey, half-fan chimed in

the guy who couldn't be bothered to watch us last year

tell us more about a team that you only watch when they're winning...

beach tribe
10-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Those are excellent points, these kind of stats differ greatly for football, i just think its a matter of having a flawed, baseball-like formula and too many armchair NFL poobahs who dont really know what they're looking at on a given play ie; who had what responsibility etc.

That right there is skinny on PFF.

Look at how many differing opinions there are on Bowes slant route.

Or on the pick that Smith threw in a very similar situation early in the season.

You will get 5 different opinions of who's fault it was and how it should be graded.

Its a fun site though.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-24-2013, 08:02 AM
So many guys coming into their own this year... Poe, Bailey, Houston, Cooper, and yes, even Dex.

God as my witness, DMC actually looked both fast and quick on sunday.

:hmmm: Quicker than Charles? Is there gold in the village? Silver? Gems? Is there food?