PDA

View Full Version : Misc Grantland: '89 World Series Quake- Oral History

chefsos
10-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Amazing.

They brought together interviews from ballplayers and all kinds of people who were in San Francisco that day, and the compilation runs like a timeline. To me, this was a riveting read. It's long. Here are some snippets:

...From what Bench said and what McCovey said, Mays didn't want to come that day. He was spooked by the weather, by the stillness and the heat. He didn't like the air.Just a minute before the earthquake, he said all the cops' horses went crazy. They could feel it before it happened.If you're in the Giants locker room, you have to go into this tunnel.... At that point, the tunnel began to turn, left-right, left-right, kind of like those fun houses at the fair.When this thing came, it was very audible and visible and noticeable as coming out of right field, which faces south. It hit the ballpark and made waves in the outfield...If you were standing where I was standing, you could see it come through the outfield, keep going through the infield, and then continue into downtown San Francisco.After the earthquake, the Marina was closed off, and nobody could get in there without special permission...As I was walking along the line, I noticed that [Joe] DiMaggio was standing waiting in the middle of the line. I said, "Mr. DiMaggio, what are you doing?" He said he was waiting to see if his house was OK to go back to. I said, "Let me take you to the front of the line," and he was very gracious and smiled and said, "No, thank you, I'll wait my turn. Everybody else is in the same place as I am."As Murray Chass noted in the New York Times, during the delay Paul Tagliabue had been named NFL commissioner, televangelist Jim Bakker had been sent to the big house, and Hungary had become a republic.http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9859539/view/full/the-1989-world-series-earthquake-oral-history

BlackHelicopters
10-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Still remember Al Micheals giving play by play of the devastation.

chefsos
10-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Still remember Al Micheals giving play by play of the devastation.Yup. Me too.

He was on late into the night with Koppel describing stuff that sportscasters just don't do. Kind of like Jim McKay at the '72 Olympics.

BlackHelicopters
10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Exactly. Jim McKay

chefsos
10-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Something about that I didn't know: The only reason that Michaels was able to communicate with the outside world is that ESPN, not yet the soul-sucking behemoth it would become, was relegated to a far away spot for their production trucks, necessitating generator power. They had electricity and two phone lines (one was used by the cops, and he used the other) when no one else had anything.

displacedinMN
10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I talked about that game and how some people can predict earthquakes before they happen it is mentioned in this article .if you like science and you get a chance to read the book about Jim berkland do it .
he is really good at finding data and how to predict an earthquake.

I have used some of that same type of information to talk about when students are unfocused and how it relates to the drop in barometric pressure.

I also like the statement that says you could see the wave coming across the field .I'm sure that is kind of cool in eerie at the same time

BlackHelicopters
10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Something about that I didn't know: The only reason that Michaels was able to communicate with the outside world is that ESPN, not yet the soul-sucking behemoth it would become, was relegated to a far away spot for their production trucks, necessitating generator power. They had electricity and two phone lines (one was used by the cops, and he used the other) when no one else had anything.

Interesting.

mazrim1978
10-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I was sitting in a bar the morning of the 2006 6.7 quake that hit Hawaii waiting for the chiefs game to start. I remember moments before everything started to shake my buddy and myself noticed all the birds in the marsh took of flying we thought that was weird about a minute later everything started shaking and the power went out. We didn't get to watch any football but had a hell of a good time trying to drink all the beer before it got hot.

MIAdragon
10-23-2013, 03:09 PM
We lost most of the water in our in ground pool, it was crazy.