PDA

View Full Version : Misc [Un]Official Questions About KC Thread

luv
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Instead of separate threads asking about hotels, restaurants, night life, etc. I'm going to create one thread that I know I will be the only one to bump whenever I have a question.

To start things off, I'm going to be heading out to Oak Park Mall tomorrow. Good sporting goods/collectibles stores in there still? Where are some good places to find neat stuff?

blaise
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Like, in the mall?

ptlyon
10-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Like, in the mall?

Totally!

burt
10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I live 1/2 mile from there....have only been there twice.

luv
10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Last time I was in there was a few years ago, and it looked like things were changing then. Just curious if there were still good places to find sports collectibles in there. If not, where else can I go? Sportz Nutz (however you spell it) is really cool, but pricey, IMO.

luv
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM

I only go to the mall here when I need new shoes or a new bra. About once a year if I'm lucky. And I don't live in a sports town. There aren't very many cool sports stores around here.

Halfcan
10-25-2013, 01:53 PM
There is a big sports store at Independence Center-their prices are not too bad.

digger
10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Like, in the mall?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IY_bhVSGKEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crossbow
10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Zarda's BBQ on 87th street and west side of I35 if you want really good KC style lunch. Higher quality food then what you will find in a Mall.

Dartgod
10-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Zarda's BBQ on 87th street and west side of I35 if you want really good KC style lunch. Higher quality food then what you will find in a Mall.

Unless she was planning on eating some sports collectibles, I don't think she was asking for restaurant suggestions.

gblowfish
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Sports Nutz by Arrowhead is closed now.
I work a couple blocks north of the Oak Park Mall, and have only gone in there about a half dozen times. I generally HATE malls.
There's a Kansas Sampler store on Quivira just across the street from the Oak Park Mall on the West Side. They have a lot of Chiefs and college stuff. There's also a brand new big chain Sporting Goods store they just opened, think it's called Academy Sports? They have Chiefs stuff too.

Food: There's a Cheddar's that has good food for a reasonable price. Mimi's Cafe is a bit pricier. There's a Five Guys Burger Stand in the mall. Houlihan's has a brand new building on the north side, and there's other stuff close by like Chick Fil A, Sonic, On the Border, KFC/Taco Bell, etc. Zarda BBQ is about a quarter mile north on 87th St.
You can also go east to Metcalf and eat at Jack Stack BBQ (95th & Metcalf) or Red Lobster, or go a few blocks north on Metcalf to Cinzetti's, which is an italian buffet, and is very good.

luv
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Unless she was planning on eating some sports collectibles, I don't think she was asking for restaurant suggestions.

LMAO

Yeah, we've already got food taken care of. I completely forgot about Kansas Sampler though, so I'm glad I asked!

luv
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Sports Nutz by Arrowhead is closed now.
I work a couple blocks north of the Oak Park Mall, and have only gone in there about a half dozen times. I generally HATE malls.
There's a Kansas Sampler store on Quivira just across the street from the Oak Park Mall on the West Side. They have a lot of Chiefs and college stuff. There's also a brand new big chain Sporting Goods store they just opened, think it's called Academy Sports? They have Chiefs stuff too.

We have Academy down here. It's more like a Dick's (I think is what you all are used to). I did not know that Sports Nutz closed. Is the one in Legends still open? As I just said, I'd completely forgotten about Kansas Sampler, so thanks for that.

Down here, we have Fast Break Sports and Rally House. Fast Break is cool, but they cover so many teams, that their selection isn't the greatest. Rally House is cool, but basically like shopping in a stadium gift shop price-wise.

CaliforniaChief
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Is Coolcrest still there? I think it was on Noland Road in Independence? Maybe not, but I used to go there when I went to KC with the family for Royals weekends.

CaliforniaChief
10-25-2013, 02:53 PM
We have Academy down here. It's more like a Dick's (I think is what you all are used to).

I know you prefer it...I like Chicks. (NTTAWWT)

gblowfish
10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Is Coolcrest still there? I think it was on Noland Road in Independence? Maybe not, but I used to go there when I went to KC with the family for Royals weekends.

Cool Crest is in my stomping grounds. It's still there. Still has a mini golf course, pool table and game room, batting cages and go karts. No swimming pool. That went away several years ago. Gates and Sons is right down the street. And Cool Crest is on US 40 Highway, not Noland Road. That's further off to the east.

CaliforniaChief
10-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Cool Crest is in my stomping grounds. It's still there. Still has a mini golf course, pool table and game room, batting cages and go karts. No swimming pool. That went away several years ago. Gates and Sons is right down the street. And Cool Crest is on US 40 Highway, not Noland Road. That's further off to the east.

Ah, that's right. We would stay at a Red Roof Inn on Noland Road. Lots of good memories we made at Cool Crest. Would love to take the family there if/when we can make it to KC.

Bowser
10-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Is this the OFFICIAL Unofficial thread?

teedubya
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
is that Hal dickhead from Ace Tickets and Overpriced Shit still in business there?

salame
10-25-2013, 11:40 PM
yuck zarda is terrible
the bud light of kc bbq

Dayze
10-26-2013, 12:30 AM

...must ...stop....looking...at....Lucy in your signature.

Dave Lane
10-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Bring your own sauce cuz thirs sucks donkey balls.

Lex Luthor
10-26-2013, 05:31 AM
yuck zarda is terrible
the bud light of kc bbq

To each his own. Personally, I love Zarda BBQ.

58-4ever
10-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Same. Oak Park represent

DJJasonp
10-26-2013, 07:56 AM
is that Hal dickhead from Ace Tickets and Overpriced Shit still in business there?

Yep. I visited oak park mall while I was in town for the raiders game.

His store is the size of a large closet now (a direct result in a decade of suckage from the chiefs I suspect?....that, and the emergence of stubhub, etc.).

And yes, he's never struck me as a nice guy. Just someone who took advantage of supply and demand.

CoMoChief
10-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Malls are annoying. Try avoiding them at all times. Can't remember the last time I went to one. It was probably during holiday shopping, and it was probably 3-4 yrs ago. That's really (if at all) the only time I go to one.