PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
11-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. First off, a quick heated debate between Crusty, Disgruntled Pessimistic Blowfish (CDPB) and Kool Aid Drinking, Wildly Optimistic Blowfish (KADWOB):
• CDPB: "Our offense SUCKS BALLS! WTF was Cassel doing in Alex Smiff's uniform today?"
• KADWOB: "We won in a stadium where we hadn't won since John Mackovic was the head coach."
• CDPB: "Alex Cassel passed for 124 yards and no TDs. The defense outscored the offense today."
• KADWOB: "The defense only gave up 13 points, including only 3 after halftime. They're damn good."
• CDPB: "The Chiefs were incredibly, almost comically, lucky today."
• KADWOB: "We're 9-0. You don't apologize when you win a game, ever. Never ever ever."
• CDPB: "The Bills had a kickoff for a touchdown called back. The Bills had a pick six inside the Chiefs 10 yard line for a 14-point swing."
• KADWOB: "Clear block in the back on Gray on the kickoff. Smith makes a nice play and follow blocking to score 100 yards. That's not easy to do."
• CDPB: "Bills got screwed at the six minute mark in the fourth quarter. The guy caught that ball at the 50."
• KADWOB: "McCluster dropped a possible TD pass earlier wide open. Adapt, improvise and move on. They got a third down play after that call."
• DCPB: "Denver is going to kill KC."
• KADWOB: "Reid has two weeks to prepare for Manning, and the Donk's head coach will be out of commission."
• CDPB: "It's all smoke and mirrors. We've beaten the worst team in football and four backup QB's. It's a mirage."
• KADWOB: "We beat Romo, Eli Manning and Vick in his own crib. Those are all legit NFL QBs."
• CDPB: "We'll lose in the first round of the playoffs."
• KADWOB: "Not if we get a first round bye and play the first one at Arrowhead. This time, our kicker doesn't suck, he be Succop."

9. It was nice to get an extra hour sleep this morning. Weird as this might sound, I was kind of glad we had a road game going into the bye. If you've got to go to Buffalo, best to go now before the weather there gets ultra nasty. Buffalo has always been kryptonite to the Chiefs, kind of like playing in Florida. Usually it does not end well. But this year, we're undefeated in Florida and now have the Ralph Wilson Monkey off our back. There's a lot to discuss today without being overly negative. So lets talk facts, see what needs to improve, and why football is such a wacky game.

8. If you just looked at the stat line -everything except turnovers- Buffalo should have won this game 31-3. The Bills had ten more first downs. They had 470 offensive yards to KC's 210. Bills averaged over six yards per offensive play, and only had to punt three times. Bills gave up no sacks. Bills had one back (Spiller) over 100 yards and another back (Jackson) at 77 yards. Bills had a 59 yard bomb for a TD. KC had no TD passes and gave up two sacks. How could the Bills lose? Penalties, turnovers, and refs. Bills lose a TD on a kick return early on a block in the back. The block is what sprung the return, but still, that's a momentum killer. KC had one fumble and recovered it. Smith has no picks. Bills had a critical pick six that is a fourteen point swing, and put KC back in the game. Bills had a critical fumble returned for a TD that put KC in the lead. In the fourth quarter with about seven minutes left, Bills throw a pass to Goodwin from their own five yard line midfield, refs call it incomplete. The replay show it really could be called either way. But since it was called incomplete on the field, Ref doesn't see enough evidence to overturn the call. Chiefs hold on third down, Bills punt. Chiefs take over, grind the ball down field, burn the clock down to 2:15, and kick a 39 yard field goal for a two possession lead. Game over. And, that final nail in the coffin field goal evened up time of possession to right around 30 minutes per team. Turnovers. Turnovers, Turnovers. We learned that the hard way last year. Turnovers kill. Guaranteed.

7. OK, no matter how you slice it, 210 yards of offense is horrendous. Chiefs were 3-13 on third down. Horrendous. Alex Smith averaged 4.3 yards per pass completion. Horrendous. Charles caught six balls for six yards, with his longest catch being a six yarder. So he caught five balls for no gain. Horrendous. Only one catch by the tight end Fasano today. Horrendous. And McCluster dropped a possible TD when the two guys covering him took each other out. Especially Horrendous. VIdeo of that is here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000275461/McCluster-drops-pass-late-in-first-half

6. If there is a silver lining on offense, its that nobody got hurt. Charles rushed for 90 yards, a lot of those were tough yards to get first downs and grind critical clock in the fourth quarter. Our entire line looked over matched in the first half. This week, it was Allen and Hudson that looked especially bad against Buffalo's All-Pro front wall. KC was lucky to only give up two sacks, as Smith ran himself away from probably that many or more. Knile Davis had ZERO carries. Besides Charles, the only other backs to get a carry was Sherman for a first down on short yardage, and McCluster on an end around that lost four yards. The offense was off the field for much of the third quarter, and KC only had 23 total rushing attempts.

5. The defense won this game. Again. And you can argue they actually had a pretty shitty day. They gave up 470 net yards to a freaking third string QB, and gave up over 100 rushing yards to a running back with a bum leg. I ask again, what is it going to take to get Kendrick Lewis benched? Let's look at the first TD pass to give the Bills a 7-0 lead. Cooper gets pulled up a step on play action, and as he chases his man he gets NO HELP over the top from the safety who's supposed to be protecting the long ball. Lewis is too slow. He's just too freaking slow to help in over the top coverage:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000275177/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Bills-rookie-connection
To make things worse, Lewis' pick -his first of the year over halfway through the season- was a gift. The third string QB had a pass sail on him, and he threw the ball right to Lewis. My sister could have caught this ball, and she's 60 years old and walks with a cane:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000275203/Chiefs-intercept-Jeff-Tuel-pass

4. Cooper played another outstanding game. After the initial burn on the TD, he was lights out the rest of the way, breaking up several critical plays, AND forcing the fumble that Hali takes in for the back breaking TD. He's making a case for All-Pro consideration. Sean Smith's pick-six TD was dumb luck. If you watch the play, Stevie Johnson beats him off the line and is wide, wide, WIDE open in the center of the end zone. Tuel throws the ball right to Smith, guessing wrong on Johnson's break, and Smith is off to the races, it's a 14 point swing and the real turning point of the contest. A couple character issues highlighted on this play. Watch Stevie Johnson. He quits on the play and walks around pouting in the end zone. Watch Derrick Johnson. He clears the way for Smith to score. With the way our offense was going, without that block, we maybe don't get the six. I can do without the Neon Deion garbage at the end too. Just get the damn ball into the end zone, then celebrate if you want to:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000275308/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-100-yard-pick-six

3. Don't know if you heard this on the broadcast, but today was Tamba Hali's 30th birthday. What a nice fat birthday present Cooper gave him, popping that fumble out, right to Tamba, and a nice stroll into the end zone unmolested.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000275392/Hali-returns-fumble-for-TD
That's the kind of thing that happened to us over and over and over last year with Casshole. Remember, the Bills beat us real bad there last year, and beat us real bad in Arrowhead the year before. Payback's a bitch. And even though we didn't get a sack today (probably a good thing, KC's been eating WAAAY too many Big Mac's on Monday) we did force a couple holding penalties from our pass rush. Give credit to Buffalo's offensive and defensive lines. They both outplayed our lines today by a lot. Buffalo's receivers had six dropped passes, so they didn't do Tuel any favors there. Too bad we couldn't have knocked Stevie Johnson out of the game. Guess the pick six will have to do for Eric Berry's payback.

2. Special teams did a nice job, especially downing a Colquitt punt on the three yard line in the fourth quarter. Succop....money. Three for three and he's perfect inside 50 yards for the season. You can't ask for much better than that. The kick coverage was good today. The TD the Bills had called back was on an obvious block in the back. Otherwise, the returner is brought down around the 20 yard line.

1. Nice time for a bye. Charles can rest his feet and knees. Everyone gets a mental break, and Andy Reid gets two weeks to prepare for the Big Giant Forehead in Denver. I'm kind of glad we play in Denver first. If we do lose, we'll be able to have some film on them and be better prepared when the series swings back to Arrowhead on December 1st. San Diego lost in overtime today, and they'll be super pissed off. They get Denver at home next week while we rest. I hope Phyllis can cut us a break and beat their Donkey Ass (that a double donkey-ism) at home. That would be sweet. Finally, as to the debate in Point 10: This is a historically great season for KC. We're not used to this. Sure, our team has issues. But all teams have issues. Would you rather be 0-9? As we've been saying week after week after week, for GOD SAKES, enjoy the ride. This kind of success only happens once in a generation. You have to get a ticket to the big dance to have a shot at glory. Maybe we get into the playoffs and get smoked 45-0 in the first round. Know what? Our defense gave up 13 points today. 13.....13......13. This team is good, and the defense is damn good, even on a day like today when they didn't bring their "A" game. It's a miracle season already. Only one team ultimately wins it all. Let's enjoy the break next week, then see what Andy and the boys cook up for the Big Giant Forehead. He may be the head coach in that game as well. Here's to John Fox feeling much better and getting back on his feet around December 2nd.

BWillie
11-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Totally agree w you about Lewis.

big nasty kcnut
11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Great read george. We also have a team that give up big stats to help the team,

11-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Great post as always. Outstanding read!!!

petegz28
11-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Top drawer......as always.........top drawer

Easy 6
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
LMAO I love the inner monologue, much the same as many of us were thinking i'm sure.

Doesn't matter anyway... 9-0 BABY!

jjchieffan
11-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm glad you do this every week. You always pretty much say exactly what I'm thinking. Terrific read today as always

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
I think you've mentioned benching Lewis in every "10 Things" thread since week 3 LMAO

gblowfish
11-03-2013, 05:36 PM
I think you've mentioned benching Lewis in every "10 Things" thread since week 3 LMAO

That's because I MEAN IT, MAN!!!!

Prison Bitch
11-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Smith is becoming a problem and team are going to have to figure out they need to attack him esp deep, rather than go at Flowers and Cooper. Smith was flat beat on the TD return, and he was beaten on the deep fly on 4th and 3 late in the 3rd. Either play could've lost that game for us and Manning wont make those mistakes.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Smith is becoming a problem and team are going to have to figure out they need to attack him esp deep, rather than go at Flowers and Cooper. Smith was flat beat on the TD return, and he was beaten on the deep fly on 4th and 3 late in the 3rd. Either play could've lost that game for us and Manning wont make those mistakes.

He's just too slow. No one on our defense, really, is a burner.

By CB and FS standards, Sean Smith, Brandon Flowers and Kendrick Lewis are all pretty slow. That makes us susceptible to deep passes on the sidelines. Especially with our scheme leaving the CBs on an island more often than not.

Prison Bitch
11-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Totally agree on the speed issue. Fortunately Den WR aren't fast

Macroach
11-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Good points as always, George. I could also do without the neon Deion garbage, especially when that play could have just as easily ended with an easy Bills score.

Canofbier
11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
One correction: Alex Smith averaged 4.28 yards per attempt, not per completion.

:Lin:

Bwana
11-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Fantastic work as always.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Totally agree on the speed issue. Fortunately Den WR aren't fast

Demaryius Thomas is very fast and very big. He could be a problem.

I'd hate to do it to the rookie, but we need Cooper to cover him. Sean Smith will get torched.

Sandy Vagina
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Always a fun one to read through. Very pleased with 9-0 and no concerning injuries. Two weeks to really dig into this offense and get shit fixed up. A very strange game of our D looking porous and overrated to the D being the dominance we have come to expect.

Can't wait for the next game and 10 Things. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hello/salute-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

scho63
11-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

9. Buffalo has always been kryptonite to the Chiefs, kind of like playing in Florida. Usually it does not end well. But this year, we're undefeated in Florida and now have the Ralph Wilson Monkey off our back.
THANK GOD!

8. If you just looked at the stat line -everything except turnovers- Buffalo should have won this game 31-3.
We got our ass beat up and down the field all day and if not for the turnovers I don't know how we could have won. We sucked today!

7. OK, no matter how you slice it, 210 yards of offense is horrendous.
Our offense is a big fat obstacle to our success. We regress each week. How is that possible?

6. If there is a silver lining on offense, its that nobody got hurt.
You're being too kind, the offense, especially the O-Line is pathetic!

5. The defense won this game. Again.
How can this hold up every week? At some point your offense has to score and win games.

4. Cooper played another outstanding game. Watch Derrick Johnson.
Both guys are MAJOR league players!

2. Special teams did a nice job, especially downing a Colquitt punt on the three yard line in the fourth quarter.
It's sad to think that we get so excited about our punting and kicking team but that's the case. Colquitt and Succop delivered again.

1. Nice time for a bye.
We need some rest. Major adjustments on offense. Heal for the guys who are dinged up

I can't believe we won today. It was a real screwed up game that no one thought we would win watching the results and I saw nothing but a loss for most of the day. We keep finding a way to win and when you are having a good season, everything goes your way.

The Flowers roughing the QB penalty might go down as the WORST penalty I have ever seen. He bumped feet with the QB and they called RTP. How the F*** is that possible? No one sitting near me could figure it out.

I like your down and dirty 10 Things this week Gblowfish. BTW, the LC Greenwood BBQ Sauce was excellent with my meatloaf I cooked. I have two other sauces to try.

Great bullet write up this week!

Coach
11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
He's just too slow. No one on our defense, really, is a burner.

By CB and FS standards, Sean Smith, Brandon Flowers and Kendrick Lewis are all pretty slow. That makes us susceptible to deep passes on the sidelines. Especially with our scheme leaving the CBs on an island more often than not.

And a shitty FS that is suspect to taking shitty angles and not getting in position to save the CB's asses.

Otter
11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
1. Nice time for a bye. Charles can rest his feet and knees. Everyone gets a mental break, and Andy Reid gets two weeks to prepare for the Big Giant Forehead in Denver. I'm kind of glad we play in Denver first. If we do lose, we'll be able to have some film on them and be better prepared when the series swings back to Arrowhead on December 1st. San Diego lost in overtime today, and they'll be super pissed off. They get Denver at home next week while we rest. I hope Phyllis can cut us a break and beat their Donkey Ass (that a double donkey-ism) at home. That would be sweet. Finally, as to the debate in Point 10: This is a historically great season for KC. We're not used to this. Sure, our team has issues. But all teams have issues. Would you rather be 0-9? As we've been saying week after week after week, for GOD SAKES, enjoy the ride. This kind of success only happens once in a generation. You have to get a ticket to the big dance to have a shot at glory. Maybe we get into the playoffs and get smoked 45-0 in the first round. Know what? Our defense gave up 13 points today. 13.....13......13. This team is good, and the defense is damn good, even on a day like today when they didn't bring their "A" game. It's a miracle season already. Only one team ultimately wins it all. Let's enjoy the break next week, then see what Andy and the boys cook up for the Big Giant Forehead. He may be the head coach in that game as well. Here's to John Fox feeling much better and getting back on his feet around December 2nd.

Couldn't agree more. Thx again George!

KC Jones
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
To make things worse, Lewis' pick -his first of the year over halfway through the season- was a gift. The third string QB had a pass sail on him, and he threw the ball right to Lewis. My sister could have caught this ball, and she's 60 years old and walks with a cane:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000275203/Chiefs-intercept-Jeff-Tuel-pass

Little dissapointed in this... I was hoping to see your 60 year old sister with the cane in the video.

gblowfish
11-03-2013, 06:05 PM
My sister would have picked up some return yardage....

BlackHelicopters
11-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Wacky game and a great read. Thanks, George!

bowener
11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I pray Sanders Commings is ready to hit the ground running. In the words of Omar Little, "Lewis needs to be got."

hometeam
11-03-2013, 06:15 PM
#4 - I wondered the same thing about Stevie Johnson. You can see why he has a reputation as a bit of a diva/whiner type. he completely gives up on the play and turns around kicking his feet in disgust. Realistically, He may have been able to catch him and stop him had he been on the ball.

gblowfish
11-03-2013, 06:15 PM
I like your down and dirty 10 Things this week Gblowfish. BTW, the LC Greenwood BBQ Sauce was excellent with my meatloaf I cooked. I have two other sauces to try.

I sent Scho63 some of LC's Hot BBQ sauce, some Gates Original and some Bryant's original.

We'll see how the other two sauces fare...

KCwolf
11-03-2013, 06:19 PM
"This is a historically great season for KC. We're not used to this. Sure, our team has issues. But all teams have issues. Would you rather be 0-9? As we've been saying week after week after week, for GOD SAKES, enjoy the ride. This kind of success only happens once in a generation. You have to get a ticket to the big dance to have a shot at glory. Maybe we get into the playoffs and get smoked 45-0 in the first round. Know what? Our defense gave up 13 points today. 13.....13......13. This team is good, and the defense is damn good, even on a day like today when they didn't bring their "A" game. It's a miracle season already."

Well Said. Perfect in fact.

Red Beans
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Lewis is the weakest link in our secondary. Without a doubt.

2bikemike
11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Good takes George,

I thought for sure they were going to call that one contested pass late in the 4th a completion. I guess it made up for the horrible call against Flowers for roughing the passer. You could clearly see Flowers clearly turned to avoid Tuele.

I am a little concerned that the sack total the last two games has been suffering. IMHO they really need to get after Manning to win that game.

Buehler445
11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Excellent read as always, George. Pretty much agree with it all. Especially the monologue. It doesn't look or feel like a good team but we're winning. I like it.

The thing that has me worried is Buffalo obviously wasn't worried about getting beat deep. And there were FAR too many check downs to Charles in the flat that went for negative or no yardage. You could almost see through Charles facemask on a few of those that he was thinking to himself, "awww hell, this is going poorly."

We have to find a way to get some protection and look deep.

Buehler445
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
The other thing I'm surprised you didn't mention is Bowe getting touches. Bout damn time.

As for the Tuel flop, I hope he never gets another call his way after he made the officials look the fool.

gblowfish
11-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Bowe played OK, had a bad drop in the first half. Ball hit him right in the chest and he dropped it. Focus...focus...focus.

the Talking Can
11-03-2013, 06:55 PM
our defense outscored buffalo...that is incredible, and pretty rare i'd bet

our defense outscored our offense by even more than they outscored Buffalo...which is also incredible, and rare...and sad...our offense is a joke

Cooper is looking like the Tom Brady of CBs....his play is off the freaking charts awesome, and he shows no fear

he's as incredible an acquisition by Dorsey as Fisher is a stupid waste of the #1 pick in the draft...

the Talking Can
11-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Bowe played OK, had a bad drop in the first half. Ball hit him right in the chest and he dropped it. Focus...focus...focus.

he was also wide open for a TD and Smith threw it out of bounds...we leave big plays on the field week after week

stevieray
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
he was also wide open for a TD and Smith threw it out of bounds...we leave big plays on the field week after week

THIS!
/Dex

Frosty
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
It looked to me like Smith released Johnson like he thought someone else was responsible for coverage in that area. They were lucky Tuel panicked.

Also, that long pass was never a catch because he didn't maintain possession to the ground (Calvin Johnson rule). I think it's a dumb rule but that's the way it is. It was dumb to challenge it when the ball came out like that when he hit the ground.

Great Expectations
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
The Kool aid drinking fish should mention that the only TD drive by the Bills was originally a 3 and out before the horrible personal foul against Flowers.

siberian khatru
11-03-2013, 07:06 PM

I'd hate to do it to the rookie, but we need Cooper to cover him. Sean Smith will get torched.

I've been assuming that Cooper will have Thomas, Smith will have Decker, Flowers will take Welker in the slot and Berry will take Julius Thomas.

Red Dawg
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Was also good to see Bowe get some catches. He dropped two but at least he was getting targeted. Plus we have faced our last really good defense for the season besides a trip to Oakland. That will help our offense.

Frosty
11-03-2013, 07:21 PM
It looked to me like Smith released Johnson like he thought someone else was responsible for coverage in that area. They were lucky Tuel panicked.

Never mind on this one. I just saw the breakdown NBC did on the play and Smith did get burned and was very lucky Tuel threw it to him anyway.

Coach
11-03-2013, 07:24 PM
I've been assuming that Cooper will have Thomas, Smith will have Decker, Flowers will take Welker in the slot and Berry will take Julius Thomas.

Well, that's great and peachy, but it won't make a damn difference who's covering who if KC D-Line can't get any pass rush on Peyton. 1 sack in the last two weeks.

That's a little.....troubling, to be honest.

petegz28
11-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Top drawer......as always.........top drawer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FuvaHbm5pZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru
11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Well, that's great and peachy, but it won't make a damn difference who's covering who if KC D-Line can't get any pass rush on Peyton. 1 sack in the last two weeks.

That's a little.....troubling, to be honest.

Agree 100 percent. Pressure is Job 1.

I think Milkman and others are on to something, though. Bye comes at a perfect time to rest and reset. We'll see.

notorious
11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
The Kool aid drinking fish should mention that the only TD drive by the Bills was originally a 3 and out before the horrible personal foul against Flowers.

No, that drive ended in a FG.

It was still an absolute garbage call.

Coach
11-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Agree 100 percent. Pressure is Job 1.

I think Milkman and others are on to something, though. Bye comes at a perfect time to rest and reset. We'll see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/Gifs/aa01b783eaa2d549d3b425edfccc8b0c-fa.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SwedeCarlson/media/Funnies/Gifs/aa01b783eaa2d549d3b425edfccc8b0c-fa.gif.html) If KC isn't getting any pass rush by the front four.....

Ace Gunner
11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
dude gets an INT and folks rip into him, no matter. he's likely to be replaced after the season, he hasn't been bad imo. not good either, but when the defense is playing this well, a poor player will stick out and Lewis has not too terribly much. What did stick out today, was Berry during a few big runs -- he missed a few tackles, couldn't get off a few blocks and this cost the defense bigtime today.

Poe, DJ, Jordan & both safeties were handed their collective ass today.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 07:51 PM
What did stick out today, was Berry during a few big runs -- he missed a few tackles, couldn't get off a few blocks and this cost the defense bigtime today.

Hmmm, I didn't see that at all. I'm not even sure Berry was on the field during Spiller's 61 yarder to start the second half.

Berry did hawk the shit out of CJ on the 9 yarder that Tuel lead blocked on. Possibly saved a TD.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, I didn't see that at all. I'm not even sure Berry was on the field during Spiller's 61 yarder to start the second half.

Scratch that; Berry was on the field for that play. He engaged a blocker about ten yards down field and tried to make the tackle with one arm at the same time.

That play was a total defensive fail though. Literally from the defensive line to the linebackers then Flowers and Lewis taking shitty ass angles in the secondary.

Macroach
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
The other thing I'm surprised you didn't mention is Bowe getting touches. Bout damn time.

As for the Tuel flop, I hope he never gets another call his way after he made the officials look the fool.

Agreed - I thought I was watching futbol instead of football. All that was missing was a theatrical roll and clutching his leg in agony.

Ace Gunner
11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Scratch that; Berry was on the field for that play. He engaged a blocker about ten yards down field and tried to make the tackle with one arm at the same time.

That play was a total defensive fail though. Literally from the defensive line to the linebackers then Flowers and Lewis taking shitty ass angles in the secondary.

you know what we do when coming up against an athletic front seven -- run right at them. They did that with success today.

oh and thx for the write as always sir Geo.

btw- did anyone else notice the fans mocking us doing our song? I wasn't sure if I was hearing that correct or not because the crowd I was with during the game was noisy. thought I heard them when the Bills had a lead.

Prison Bitch
11-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Demaryius ran a 4.50 at the combine which was middle of the pack. So I don't think he's all that fast. He's big though, I'll agree with you there.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Demaryius ran a 4.50 at the combine which was middle of the pack. So I don't think he's all that fast. He's big though, I'll agree with you there.

That's interesting. I think his actual football speed is much faster than that time though.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Maybe he just has really good top end speed but struggles to accelerate with all that size? He's pretty big.

Ace Gunner
11-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Maybe he just has really good top end speed but struggles to accelerate with all that size? He's pretty big.

to me, that's what makes him a good WR is he has remarkable quickness and is very explosive out of cuts for such a big player. also, google listed his 40 time at 4.38 which seems about right for what we see him do during games.

journeyscarab
11-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks George! Enjoying the ride much like I did with the Shockers during March Madness and they're magical ride to the Final Four. Bring on the bye and then let's take down Neckbone!

Gravedigger
11-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Denver's offense worries me, we have to get to Peyton, you'd think with all the injuries their offensive line has taken that we should be able to get to him. You take those bitchy premadonna receivers they have and you bump em at the line and get physical with em. I'm so happy we're getting them after a bye week. Andy should have them ready to go.

tk13
11-03-2013, 11:41 PM
This is almost hard to believe... but today is the 2nd time since the merger the Chiefs have won in Buffalo. The other was the much mentioned 1986 win. That's it.

The fact they won by 10 points makes it their 2nd largest victory over the Bills in the last 20 years... behind the 2003 MNF blowout game we all remember.

Funny thing is they have to play Buffalo in Buffalo against next year. It'll be the 7th straight year they've had to play the Bills.

Coach
11-03-2013, 11:46 PM
I should also point out that special teams has been money as well. The 3 FG's and the excellent awareness by Morgan to knock the ball away from the endzone should also be mentioned.

After a few shaky moments early on the season, they been very solid since.

Field position is very important as well.

Chiefshrink
11-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Yes DT is fast and the miss matches are coming for sure and I say JT has the biggest game against us. Julius Thomas that is.

Buehler445
11-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Denver's offense worries me, we have to get to Peyton, you'd think with all the injuries their offensive line has taken that we should be able to get to him. You take those bitchy premadonna receivers they have and you bump em at the line and get physical with em. I'm so happy we're getting them after a bye week. Andy should have them ready to go.

In my view, Sutton is the key to all of this. In the Denver game, like all the other games and perhaps more, the defense is the key. How much the defense gives up determines how well the offense needs to play. The worse the defense performs, the lower the probability of victory.

ThaVirus
11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Yes DT is fast and the miss matches are coming for sure and I say JT has the biggest game against us. Julius Thomas that is.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not Eric Berry can hold him in check.

Peyton is going to exploit the shit out of Kendrick Lewis's shitty angles and lack of speed so he'll be pretty much useless. I felt like we didn't see much of Demps or Abdullah today and that's a bit troubling. I hope they can steal some reps from Kendrick Lewis and Akeem Jordan against Denver. Those two guys (Jordan and Lewis) just lack the speed and smarts to see playing time against Peyton, in my opinion.

Chiefshrink
11-04-2013, 12:15 AM
It'll be interesting to see whether or not Eric Berry can hold him in check.

Peyton is going to exploit the shit out of Kendrick Lewis's shitty angles and lack of speed so he'll be pretty much useless. I felt like we didn't see much of Demps or Abdullah today and that's a bit troubling. I hope they can steal some reps from Kendrick Lewis and Akeem Jordan against Denver. Those two guys (Jordan and Lewis) just lack the speed and smarts to see playing time against Peyton, in my opinion.

Colts showed us what the formula is to beat Manning and his WRs and that is play man with a solid pass rush the whole game, but to your point we only have 3/5ths our 2ndary that can do that(Flowers,Cooper and Berry) whereas Lewis and Smith are toast.

Is Cummings a CB or safety and is he still hurt ?

ThaVirus
11-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Colts showed us what the formula is to beat Manning and his WRs and that is play man with a solid pass rush the whole game, but to your point we only have 3/5ths our 2ndary that can do that(Flowers,Cooper and Berry) whereas Lewis and Smith are toast.

Is Cummings a CB or safety and is he still hurt ?

Sanders is a FS, I believe. He was just taken off the IR and I think we have one more week to decide whether or not we want to play him.

That would make him eligible to play against the Broncos but I'm not sure you want to throw a rookie out there in his first game against Peyton. Plus, who would we deactivate for him?

Buehler445
11-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Sanders is a FS, I believe. He was just taken off the IR and I think we have one more week to decide whether or not we want to play him.

That would make him eligible to play against the Broncos but I'm not sure you want to throw a rookie out there in his first game against Peyton. Plus, who would we deactivate for him?

Isn't Lewis the FS? I think that's what everyone is hoping for.

Yeah, Donks is a tough sell for a rook who hasn't been practicing and gets a first start. But you'd probably pull Abdulah or hopefully CHAD HALL (what in the BLUE FUCK is he doing out there anyway?)

TimeForWasp
11-04-2013, 01:08 AM

Duck Dynesty

Just Passin' By
11-04-2013, 03:41 AM

Thomas had the foot injury at the combine. He was reportedly running in the 4.3s before he suffered the break.

ChiefGator
11-04-2013, 03:54 AM

No, you were right with this. Smith describes it in a locker room video, which it looks like was removed for some reason. Smith was releasing him to a safety he said. If his man cut inside, he was to release him and move to the receiver going outside.

TOUCHDOWN!!! KC
11-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Super read as always.
Next game top 10 things are 10 and 0

tomahawk kid
11-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Amen Padre George, Amen.

TEX
11-04-2013, 06:28 AM
This is almost hard to believe... but today is the 2nd time since the merger the Chiefs have won in Buffalo. The other was the much mentioned 1986 win. That's it.

The fact they won by 10 points makes it their 2nd largest victory over the Bills in the last 20 years... behind the 2003 MNF blowout game we all remember.

Funny thing is they have to play Buffalo in Buffalo against next year. It'll be the 7th straight year they've had to play the Bills.

That is hard to believe...BTW, the '03 game was on a Sunday evening. The MNF game against Buffalo was in "90 or '91. I can't remember even though I was at both. Don't ever get old...

MahiMike
11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I was thinking of this thread when watching Lewis get burned yesterday. As good as our D is, they sure looked like they couldn't tackle yesterday. I saw just about every one of them miss at some point.

Also, the announcers kept harping on the dropped passes by Buffalo but the Chiefs had their own. Three by Bowe and one HUGE one by McCluster.

Speaking of Bowe, I think he had more targets yesterday than rest of season combined. I think this was by design to get ready for Denver.

bevischief
11-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Good read.

otherstar
11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Great read, as always!

Buehler445
11-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I was thinking of this thread when watching Lewis get burned yesterday. As good as our D is, they sure looked like they couldn't tackle yesterday. I saw just about every one of them miss at some point.

Also, the announcers kept harping on the dropped passes by Buffalo but the Chiefs had their own. Three by Bowe and one HUGE one by McCluster.

Speaking of Bowe, I think he had more targets yesterday than rest of season combined. I think this was by design to get ready for Denver.

I wasn't looking for it at the time, but I bet it was because they didn't double Bowe and focused all the defense on Charles. I think Bowe gets doubled and Smith doesn't even look that way.

I haven't looked for it much during the games, but if I had to put money down, it'd be on that.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Was also good to see Bowe get some catches. He dropped two but at least he was getting targeted. Plus we have faced our last really good defense for the season besides a trip to Oakland. That will help our offense.

Oakland defense didn't look very good against the Eagles yesterday. Typical Raider implosion, can't stand prosperity.

Frosty
11-04-2013, 09:36 AM
No, you were right with this. Smith describes it in a locker room video, which it looks like was removed for some reason. Smith was releasing him to a safety he said. If his man cut inside, he was to release him and move to the receiver going outside.

Interesting. From NBC's breakdown, it looked like Johnson ran straight into Smith and knocked him back and then cut inside. However, Smith never even looked at him after that and kept his eyes on the QB, which is why I originally thought he had released Johnson to the safety (who was nowhere to be seen).

Dayze
11-04-2013, 09:40 AM
One key reason for Smith's interception was reading the QBs eyes, and that he signed up for Obamacare just before the game. / Costas

ChiTown
11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
:thumb:

Thanks, CDPB

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Here's what the Buffalo News is saying this AM:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-9/two-big-mistakes-undermine-a-game-performance-by-bills-20131103

Halfcan
11-04-2013, 09:50 AM
What an ugly win but I will take it.

Frosty
11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Here's what the Buffalo News is saying this AM:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-9/two-big-mistakes-undermine-a-game-performance-by-bills-20131103

A lot of sour grapes over there.

The Bills are 3-6 this season for the same reasons they lost Sunday. The Chiefs are 9-0 and haven’t allowed a team to score more than 17 points in any game all season. It was difficult to know which team was struggling and which was undefeated Sunday. The Chiefs confirmed my belief that they’re a myth.

But they didn’t make any drastic errors and scored 17 points off turnovers. They left knowing darned well, and Marrone did, too, the outcome would have been different if Tuel finds Stevie Johnson in the end zone and Graham maintains possession. Or if an 89-yard punt return for a touchdown wasn’t called back for an illegal block.

If, if, if... (http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/marrone-refuses-to-sugarcoat-the-bitter-aftertaste-20131103)

Welcome to football. You can say that about any game.

Halfcan
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
If's And's and But's don't mean shit in the NFL.

We have been programmed as Chiefs fans the last decade or so to Expect to lose games like we have won all year.

You can say all Alex does is win and you would be correct. Not making critical mistakes in big games has been huge for us. He is leading a Charmed season-call it Alex Luck or whatever but he just keeps winning for us.

Ragged Robin
11-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I think Andy should delegate playcalling duties..

GarH
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Seems more like he doesn't lose the game and the Defense wins it. I still would have liked to see the Chiefs get Foles. I can only imagine how good the Chiefs would be with a good offense.

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Just keep winnin' baby!

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qbgi0o.jpg

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Game pictures from the KC Star are here:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/03/4596000/chiefs-23-bills-13.html

Lzen
11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Great read as always, George. I do have a few things to add.

I keep seeing that the Bills receivers let Tuel down by dropping passes but nobody mentions the fact that the Chiefs receivers were dropping passes, too. Well, yeah, you did mention that one by McCluster. Dang, that was a sure TD. But I also recall Bowe dropping a couple as well as Avery dropping a couple.

Another thing, the Bills got a score (FG?) on that horrendous personal foul penalty called against Flowers. So while I agree that the pass to midfield was a close call (I actually think it was the right call because he was bobbling it the whole time) the Bills got a gift on the PF on 3rd down. I mean, how do you even call that? That was the worst PF penalty I've ever seen.

And I'm glad you mentioned the offensive line. I mean, yes, I wish Alex Smith would take some more chances down field. However, I'm finding it hard to blame him when the offensive line doesn't give him much time. I'm just hoping they start to gel soon as this is becoming a major problem.

Buehler445
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Has anybody heard how bad the injury is for Robert Woods?

I was pretty impressed with him as a WR.

Halfcan
11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
How about our #1 Pick Fisher holding Super Mario to just one tackle and 0 sacks!! Probably his best game-no penalties or obvious burns.

jettio
11-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Kendrick Lewis has enough speed. He messed up on the TD because of where he was looking and not because he could not have gotten there.

Lewis made enough good plays to make up for it.

Lewis had to dive to catch the interception and had to do a good job to secure the catch without the ball hitting the ground.

Calling that Interception an easy play that your sister could have made means that you have chosen Lewis to be the player that you will complain about even when he makes a good play.

I think our defensive coaching staff knows what they are doing when the give Lewis the starting job and a majority of snaps even when John Dorsey did a good job getting good backups.

The toughest non-leg injury for a safety is a serious shoulder injury. Lewis's shoulder injury seemed to lower his performance some in 2011 and 2012, but he is not doing as bad as his detractors on chiefsplanet say.

Sandy Vagina
11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Kendrick Lewis has enough speed. He messed up on the TD because of where he was looking and not because he could not have gotten there.

Lewis made enough good plays to make up for it.

Lewis had to dive to catch the interception and had to do a good job to secure the catch without the ball hitting the ground.

Calling that Interception an easy play that your sister could have made means that you have chosen Lewis to be the player that you will complain about even when he makes a good play.

I think our defensive coaching staff knows what they are doing when the give Lewis the starting job and a majority of snaps even when John Dorsey did a good job getting good backups.

The toughest non-leg injury for a safety is a serious shoulder injury. Lewis's shoulder injury seemed to lower his performance some in 2011 and 2012, but he is not doing as bad as his detractors on chiefsplanet say.

I thought his Lewis comments were funny, but yeah, that INT was a tough one that Lewis did well to snag. I still think he has been more of a liability than a help, if judging on the whole of his performances.

Ace Gunner
11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Just keep winnin' baby!

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qbgi0o.jpg

:D

SLAG
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I didn't want to start a thread for this but I figure I'll ask here...

Why was BUF in White yesterday and not Blue?

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Lewis is the weakest link in our defense. He proves it week after week after week....

Great Expectations
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Lewis has at least one huge screw up per game and it is usually on a deep route. He also takes poor angles when trying to make open field tackles.

Halfcan
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Lewis has at least one huge screw up per game and it is usually on a deep route. He also takes poor angles when trying to make open field tackles.

But with 9 tackles and a INT-he will start next game for sure.

Great Expectations
11-04-2013, 02:22 PM
But with 9 tackles and a INT-he will start next game for sure.

He usually plays good outside of the one or two horrible plays.

It he was a D-lineman it would be fine, but in his position the bad plays are too costly.

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I didn't want to start a thread for this but I figure I'll ask here...

Why was BUF in White yesterday and not Blue?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-fans-to-Whiteout-the-Ralph-on-Sunday/c32bf59c-c8f9-4829-ae8b-e83a0fd51f75

A Salt Weapon
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-fans-to-Whiteout-the-Ralph-on-Sunday/c32bf59c-c8f9-4829-ae8b-e83a0fd51f75

ROFL at the first picture comment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYPecxdIEAAhpmV.jpg

ROFL

Rausch
11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
How about our #1 Pick Fisher holding Super Mario to just one tackle and 0 sacks!! Probably his best game-no penalties or obvious burns.

It would be huge if he could elevate his game to solid starter by the end of the year...

jettio
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Lewis is the weakest link in our defense. He proves it week after week after week....

The Chiefs coaches have confidence in Lewis. Were you knocking him in 2010 when he made the starting lineup as a 5th round draft pick and made several big plays?

When a safety gets a serious shoulder injury, it is going to have an effect.

Seems to me that he is healthy now and is playing well.

I suppose we will see if the Chiefs keep him after this season. I think the CBA makes the end of 4-seasons with initial team a time when teams either commit to a player or let him go.

Yesterday's interception was a fine play.

If Lewis is as bad as you say and he proves it "week after week" then you must think that Bob Sutton and Emmitt Thomas are the weakest links on the Chiefs defense.

A few of our backup safeties have been NFL starters and seem to have done a good job when their number is called. Maybe John Dorsey and the Chiefs coaches make informed decisions based on what they see on film and in practice.

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
There was a big article in the KC Star a few weeks back where the coaches were talking about how much they love Lewis, and he hangs out in the film room, and he calls the defensive signals, etc etc etc. But watching him play, he is by far our worst defender. Watch him in pass coverage on this play vs. the Texans. His guy roasts him, then look at the pursuit angle he takes. Pitiful.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20960ic&s=5#.UngLTSSkXWY

I'd much rather play ANYBODY else. If he's hurt, sit him down till he can cover and tackle.

jettio
11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
There was a big article in the KC Star a few weeks back where the coaches were talking about how much they love Lewis, and he hangs out in the film room, and he calls the defensive signals, etc etc etc. But watching him play, he is by far our worst defender. Watch him in pass coverage on this play vs. the Texans. His guy roasts him, then look at the pursuit angle he takes. Pitiful.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20960ic&s=5#.UngLTSSkXWY

I'd much rather play ANYBODY else. If he's hurt, sit him down till he can cover and tackle.

He was injured in 2011 and 2012. Maybe you have your mind made up based on how being injured affected his play those years.

You could find plays for every DB in the league.

Lewis was not the only one who did not make the tackle at an earlier point after the catch. Seems like Devere Posey has some special ability to defeat the normal tackling angles that a DB would take on an average play.

gblowfish
11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
I hope you're right about Lewis.
But I don't think you are.

jettio
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
I hope you're right about Lewis.
But I don't think you are.

:thumb: Of course, you are not the only critic of Lewis. I hope he does a good job.

I thought Greg Wesley's shoulder injuries kept him from reaching his potential, but I may have given him more credit than he deserved because he did not stick with another team after leaving the Chiefs.

If Lewis is healthy after the season. We will see what Dorsey and the coaches really think.