PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Has Sutton been holding back?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
It seems like the defense has been pretty vanilla the last 3 weeks, you think we are doing it purpose to not show Denver any tape. Bill Maas agrees with this theory, he basically was saying most teams look at tendencies of what they do in the last 3 weeks.

notorious
11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I hope so.

I didn't see a lot of blitzing like the first 4-5 weeks.

MOhillbilly
11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Couple deep passes will keep a d honest.

loochy
It seems like the defense has been pretty vanilla the last 3 weeks, you think we are doing it purpose to not show Denver any tape. Bill Maas agrees with this theory, he basically was saying most teams look at tendencies of what they do in the last 3 weeks.

Why would they risk LOSING 3 games in an attempt to gain a small advantage in 1 game?

Sense makes that does not.

InChiefsHeaven
I sure hope so.

It makes sense, no need tipping your hand. Meanwhile, the Donks have been playing balls out on Offense, no surprises and plenty of tape to watch. I hope you're right...

Discuss Thrower
No. The players looked slow or off kilter on both sides of the ball. Defensively they couldn't tackle and the pass rush was non existent.

InChiefsHeaven
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Why would they risk LOSING 3 games in an attempt to gain a small advantage in 1 game?

They didn't feel it was a risk of losing...and it turns out they were right...

jjchieffan
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I hope that's the case because the last 3 weeks the defense has not been nearly as good. My guess is that teams have been studying game film and found our weaknesses. I guess we will find out after the bye.

KC_Lee
11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Slightly holding back and the D is getting beaten up. Let's face it, the D has won every game this season for KC.

The Franchise
11-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Fucking Christ..... :facepalm:

ChiefRocka
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I hope that's the case because the last 3 weeks the defense has not been nearly as good. My guess is that teams have been studying game film and found our weaknesses. I guess we will find out after the bye.

Yeah, throw to the receiver with Lewis as the "help".

Brock
Think they just need refreshing. But yes, I expect more exotic stuff is coming up. On both sides.

Stinger

It does not make any sense. My only theory is that the player where worn down the last week or so that dictated some of the scheme. That's all I could think of.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
11-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm sure part of Sutton's gameplan for the last 3 QBs was to sit back and make them beat you. They did that in the 1st half....so he adjusted and blitzed in the 2nd half.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM

if you look at the Houston game, we ran the same vanilla defense til Houston last 2 drives, when we knew we had to get pressure on them and it worked

loochy
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
They didn't feel it was a risk of losing...and it turns out they were right...

it sure looked like there was risk of losing

Bowser
11-04-2013, 11:22 AM
They haven't attacked like they did against the Raiders since that game. So possibly I guess, even though it would be a fireable offense if it didn't work, you would think. I mean, we have been playing against backups and rooks. Let them prove they are able to make plays against the base D before you get creative.

MIAdragon
11-04-2013, 11:22 AM
****ing Christ..... :facepalm:

http://media.tumblr.com/e3d68cf7645286a2fcd7327b85a61694/tumblr_inline_mqo945n57V1qmrceh.jpg

Contrarian
11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
They have played against QBs where for the most part they played contain to see what the bitch would or could do. Of course they were holding back. And this game especially they held back because they didn't announce the QB starter until game day. BUT BUT I think they also held back a little bit yesterday for the Broncos. Look a little worse for wear, allow the Bills to move the ball a little and try to keep them to FGs just try and keep them under 17 pts.

Great Expectations
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
The Bills were running a lot of three step drops and then the ball is out. When the first read was covered the QB took off, they weren't going to have any coverage sacks and didn't give us much time to get there.

petegz28
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Any time you can play your base D and win you do it. 3 QB's in the last 3 weeks that we had little if any film on.

As someone already stated about the Houston game, we played base until we couldn't. I think there is also some issues with guys getting tired, dinged, nicked, etc. The D looked so good the first few weeks that when we don't play their A+++ game it looks like shit when in reality it isn't that bad.

Yesterday we got ran on and that is what worries me but I think that is some fatigue of the season showing as well.

Dayze
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think he's been holding back, so much as he's been playing just a tad more conservative (at least it 'seems' like it). I also think the defense is fatigued after the first 9 weeks.

Sorter
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
A bit but not for the reasons people think (Donks).

Mr. Laz
11-04-2013, 11:38 AM
we better hope they have been holding back on both sides of the ball or we are in for a long 2nd half of the season.

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2013, 11:38 AM

The other good one is Alex Smith going 3 and out makes the defense play better.

Great Expectations
11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
As soon as we've forced the offense into must throw situations the blitz has been coming. Sutton has played a base D until then with fewer blitzes. Against pass first teams there will be more blitzes early. We weren't in a position to blitz and let the Billd RB's get in open space. When we did we got burned.

Dunerdr
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
They arent being helped by al smith and fat andy goin 3 and out.

MagicHef
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Chiefs have been sending slightly more rushers (4.27 per pass play) in the last 3 games than they did in the first 6 games (4.24 per pass play).

The two games with the least frequent blitzing were against Dallas and Philadelphia, the game with the most frequent blitzing was against Houston.

Overall, the pass rush hasn't really changed, it's just getting picked up better by the offenses than it was early in the season.

DaFace
11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I find that to be incredibly unlikely. While it would be nice to win in Denver, it would be just as bad to lose to the Bills.

BlackHelicopters
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
You play to win the game.

Sorter
11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Chiefs have been sending slightly more rushers (4.27 per pass play) in the last 3 games than they did in the first 6 games (4.24 per pass play).

The two games with the least frequent blitzing were against Dallas and Philadelphia, the game with the most frequent blitzing was against Houston.

Overall, the pass rush hasn't really changed, it's just getting picked up better by the offenses than it was early in the season.

That's a rather bland generalization, especially when coupled with your statistic that shows a minute increase. Then you add in the fact that stat doesn't account for the disparity in numbers of rushers, front, DD, etc. Eh.

Stats + context.

MagicHef
11-04-2013, 12:07 PM
That's a rather bland generalization, especially when coupled with your statistic that shows a minute increase. Then you add in the fact that stat doesn't account for the disparity in numbers of rushers, front, DD, etc. Eh.

Stats + context.

Sure it's bland. I don't really feel like wasting my entire day breaking down the Chiefs' pass rush. Feel free to do it yourself.

It does provide evidence that Sutton isn't holding back, though.

scho63
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
No. The players looked slow or off kilter on both sides of the ball. Defensively they couldn't tackle and the pass rush was non existent.

:thumb:

You can say that again! They missed more tackles in yesterday's game then all others combined. Every time Spiller took a handoff at least three guys missed. The Chiefs were chasing him all over the field the entire day.

They only have 1 sack in the last two games. Not sure why. :hmmm:

Bowser
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Sure it's bland. I don't really feel like wasting my entire day breaking down the Chiefs' pass rush. Feel free to do it yourself.

It does provide evidence that Sutton isn't holding back, though.

Not really.

It's the types of rushes that matter in this case. Our defense yesterday looked nothing like the attacking defense we threw against Oakland. Number of guys rushing per play does not equal defining what kind of defense is being called.

BWillie
11-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I hope so.

I didn't see a lot of blitzing like the first 4-5 weeks.

Thats probably because teams have figured out they can run a draw or dump it off for big gains and hes hedging his bets

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Fast forward to 13:30, Bill Maas talks about this theory

<iframe src='http://media.610sports.com/audio-embed/83443318/embed.htm?width=500&height=350' width='500' height='350' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' style='border:0;padding:0;margin:0'></iframe>"

CallMeSquidwad
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I just think the big plays in the run game have been due to lack of a rotation. I saw Toribio playing pretty well yesterday so Sutton has to rotate him in, and not have Dontari in on every sub package. We need to have this defense well rested come playoff time, and especially big 92 so use the rotation we have and we will be perfect. We aren't trying to finish #1 in total defense, we are trying to beat Denver and be playing our best football come January. Moses could be used a little more although it's hard to take either of those beasts off the field...BUT WE MUST, our playoff hopes ride on it. If we can go 2-1 over the next 3 weeks(although I seriously think 3-0 is possible) then I think Sutton and Reid need to start considering the amount of snaps our defensive studs are getting.

ElGringo
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't know about holding back to hide things from the Donks, but holding back because we have faced 3 QB's with a collective of maybe what 10 minutes of game film to study....that would make more sense to me.

Mile High Mania
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
There's no way that a team or a coach is "holding back" anything at this point for those reasons. That's just silly, but I guess if it gives you peace of mind, so be it. The offense is likely holding back as well because they've known they could 'sit tight' until it mattered.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't know about holding back to hide things from the Donks, but holding back because we have faced 3 QB's with a collective of maybe what 10 minutes of game film to study....that would make more sense to me.

This is what I've been saying for weeks.

Sutton sat back in a base defense against the Browns, Texans and Bills because there wasn't any game film and no tendencies to study.

By the fourth quarter of each game (if not mid-third), the defensive looks changed dramatically, as did the aggressiveness of the pass rush.

It's all by design and very smart, IMO.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
3 home games then 1 on the road where the crowd noise did a complete 180. Has to make some difference. Three weeks in a row is a long stretch in a 17 week season.

mr. tegu
11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I would like to think so but I kind of doubt it. Lets not forget we were getting sacks before without sending a ton of blitzes. I think teams are just focusing on getting the ball out quicker, even on 3rd and longs, so the sack opportunities are not presenting themselves as often.

I don't necessarily want to see a ton of blitzes against Denver, but I do think sending one extra guy, DJ or Berry up the middle will be necessary. Up the middle pressure is the best way to throw off a QB like Manning.

Dante84
11-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Sutton sat back in a base defense against the Browns, Texans and Bills because there wasn't any game film and no tendencies to study.

By the fourth quarter of each game (if not mid-third), the defensive looks changed dramatically, as did the aggressiveness of the pass rush.

Agreed. Basically slow-playing to understand your opponent, and then attack them once you've got an idea what they are doing.

Like a smart boxer would do.

ThatRaceCardGuy
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
They blitzed when needed. Case in point, the 2nd half of the Texans gane.

O.city
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
A bit but not for the reasons people think (Donks).

Elaborate please.

loochy
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
They blitzed when needed. Case in point, the 2nd half of the Texans gane.

Case in point, no sacks in Bills game and getting worked.

tecumseh
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Pretty vanilla vs the Bills. The tackling was sadly inconsistent. Hopefully the D focuses on wrapping and finishing tackles during the bye. Of course we've got some special sauce for Peyton and Co.

HemiEd
11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

x2 ROFL

Oxford
11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think he's been holding back, so much as he's been playing just a tad more conservative (at least it 'seems' like it). I also think the defense is fatigued after the first 9 weeks.

Then the offense should be fresh as a daisy:p

-King-
11-04-2013, 02:38 PM
He's not holding back for a particular team. He's holding back because he doesn't know wtf to expect against these QBs.

He talked about it a week or so ago how for the most part, they have resort to watching college tapes of the QBs just to get a feel for them. When that's all you have to study, you don't tend to get too exotic in your game plans against them.

FlaChief58
11-04-2013, 04:38 PM
He's not holding back for a particular team. He's holding back because he doesn't know wtf to expect against these QBs.

He talked about it a week or so ago how for the most part, they have resort to watching college tapes of the QBs just to get a feel for them. When that's all you have to study, you don't tend to get too exotic in your game plans against them.

This. It'd hard to attack a guy's weaknesses when you have little to no intel on him. I suspect our D will come with guns a blazing against the QBs left on our schedule

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2013, 05:16 PM

cakey cake walk schedule is tasty good mmmmm!

Clyde Frog
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
http://expresswithgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/jasmine.gif

Bowser
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
cakey cake walk schedule is tasty good mmmmm!

You probably ought to look at the combined win/loss records of the powerhouses your team has taken down before throwing that smack around, my man.

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
You probably ought to look at the combined win/loss records of the powerhouses your team has taken down before throwing that smack around, my man.

and not a single **** was given on that day...

Bowser
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
and not a single **** was given on that day...

Yeah I get it. The tough facts are only cool when they apply to other teams. Nobody here is shocked by this revelation from a Bronco fan.

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah I get it. The tough facts are only cool when they apply to other teams. Nobody here is shocked by this revelation from a Bronco fan.

:rolleyes:

Bowser
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Come on, just for shits and giggles - what is the combined win/loss record of the Bronco opponents this year?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Chiefs have actually beat more teams with a winning record than the broncos

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Come on, just for shits and giggles - what is the combined win/loss record of the Bronco opponents this year?

dunno...

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Chiefs have actually beat more teams with a winning record than the broncos

yes, kc is unstoppable.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
yes, kc is unstoppable.

so far your statement is spot on

Simply Red
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I'm not really sure - the pass-rushers in the last few weeks, have ended up well behind the opposing QB. Not sure why they can no longer seemingly beat people on the inside. Really odd.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-04-2013, 08:38 PM

This. I think some key guys on defense really needed this bye. Came at the perfect time.

Psyko Tek
11-04-2013, 08:48 PM

I have been suspecting this
goes against what i would do
but nobody is paying me to coordinate a D

Pasta Little Brioni
11-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm not really sure - the pass-rushers in the last few weeks, have ended up well behind the opposing QB. Not sure why they can no longer seemingly beat people on the inside. Really odd.

Sup brah?