PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Here Is A Chief Who Won't Be Bullied

SeeingRed
11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Cool article in this past Sunday's New York Newsday about Mike Catapano. He was bullied as a kid and his parents signed him up for football to toughen him up. (there was a feature of him in the NY Times before the draft that went into him being bullied in more detail) Safe to say he won't be the guy getting bullied in any locker room anymore. Good read.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/long-island-s-mike-catapano-making-his-mark-as-member-of-chiefs-defense-1.6367833

Catapano insists that people who think he's happy to simply be a rotational player couldn't be more off-base.

"I plan on making a career out of proving people wrong," said Catapano, who is expected to miss the Chiefs' game against Buffalo Sunday with a high ankle sprain. "Obviously, I've been doing good, I'm here, this is where I want to be. But I'm nowhere close to being satisfied."

Deberg_1990
11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Catapano Vs. Incognito Cage Match!

Lets get it on!

Who wins?

SeeingRed
11-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Lets get it on!

Who wins?

Catapano. All bullies back down once confronted. This kid is serious. Excited to see him get more opportunities.

Rausch
11-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I can't remember the name of the book but it was a biography written by Ali's daughter with him dictating.

He was very candid about getting bullied and only joined a gym to learn boxing so he could kick the ass of the kid that stole his bike.

I love these stories...

mcaj22
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Okay I'll bite, hypothetically if he wants to climb to the top who does he dethrone?

Not Poe, not DeVito, is he ever going to be better than Tyson Jackson? Maybe Allen Bailey?

Halfcan
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Would love to see him get more snaps.

Simply Red
11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if we beat Denver and Chad Hall just pwnt & was the lone Chief they couldn't stop that day?

Oh man!

Direckshun
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if we beat Denver and Chad Hall just pwnt & was the lone Chief they couldn't stop that day?

Oh man!

LMAO

SeeingRed
11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Okay I'll bite, hypothetically if he wants to climb to the top who does he dethrone?

Not Poe, not DeVito, is he ever going to be better than Tyson Jackson? Maybe Allen Bailey?

When he is in there he produces. He has the frame to be an athletic 290 lbs 3-4 end. This article says he is 270 but that was his draft weight as an OLB. Supposedly he is in the 280-285 lbs range now. He has better pass rushing ability than ALL our D-Lineman.....watching him on tape the boy got some skills. He's a pass rushing OLB who is big enough and strong enough to play 3 technique and presents a serious mismatch for opposing guards. Would like to see what he does with some more snaps.

Rausch
11-05-2013, 08:11 PM

That shouldn't be hard...

RealSNR
11-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Mike DeVito signed a 3-year contract. We don't even know if Tyson Jackson will be around next year.

If Catapano's got it, he'll get it.

That is, of course, a still rather big if. He's on the right track, though.

WhiteWhale
11-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Catapano. All bullies back down once confronted. This kid is serious. Excited to see him get more opportunities.

ROFL :LOL:

No, they don't. Usually they beat the shit out of the person confronting them, and if they can't do that (they usually can), they have their friends gang up on them.

Nightfyre
11-05-2013, 09:39 PM
While Catapano isn't there yet, I think he has the frame and athleticism to match Justin Smith. He is adjusting from the Ivy Leagues and has been disruptive on the field several times.

Canofbier
11-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Not to be a dick, but I don't really enjoy the vibe of this article. "I used to be interested in school and video games (a total NERD, you know), but my teammates set me straight! Now I bring it on!" ****ing lame. There's no reason in the world that athletics and academics need to be at odds, and it's stories like these (and the Incognito story) that really perpetuate the idea of JOCKS VS. NERDS or whatever.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I am Mike Catapano!

Psyko Tek
11-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Oh man!

gawd dammit red you just gave the donks our secret game plan

thanks asshole
now Chad is only gonna have a 159 yard day
2 td and one resurrection

Nightfyre
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
gawd dammit red you just gave the donks our secret game plan

thanks asshole
now Chad is only gonna have a 159 yard day
2 td and one resurrection

I'd be afraid to go over the middle again if I had already died once that day in the same fashion.

Sorter
11-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Lets get it on!

Who wins?

Catapano and it wouldn't be close.

Sorter
11-05-2013, 10:35 PM
I can't remember the name of the book but it was a biography written by Ali's daughter with him dictating.

He was very candid about getting bullied and only joined a gym to learn boxing so he could kick the ass of the kid that stole his bike.

I love these stories...

GSP is a popular MMA example.

SeeingRed
11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Lets get it on!

Who wins?

I know this for sure. They would both beat the hell out of Martin. =D

warrior
11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I am Mike Catapano!

No-----you're the polar opposite :(

warrior
11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I know this for sure. They would both beat the hell out of Martin. =D

Martin would just go home :rolleyes:

SPATCH
11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
A lot of posters know that I typically take the progressive (liberal) point of view on social issues, but this crusade on bullying is a little bit excessive, in my opinion.

There are hormones and residual behaviors that evolved from our primitive days that are still at play when youth are immature and lack self-awareness. Irrational aggression and shit is going to happen.

I got roughed up pretty regularly when I was young. Thought it was part of growing up? Oh well.

saphojunkie
11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Cool article in this past Sunday's New York Newsday about Mike Catapano. He was bullied as a kid and his parents signed him up for football to toughen him up. (there was a feature of him in the NY Times before the draft that went into him being bullied in more detail) Safe to say he won't be the guy getting bullied in any locker room anymore. Good read.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/long-island-s-mike-catapano-making-his-mark-as-member-of-chiefs-defense-1.6367833

Catapano insists that people who think he's happy to simply be a rotational player couldn't be more off-base.

"I plan on making a career out of proving people wrong," said Catapano, who is expected to miss the Chiefs' game against Buffalo Sunday with a high ankle sprain. "Obviously, I've been doing good, I'm here, this is where I want to be. But I'm nowhere close to being satisfied."

Princeton ain't what it used to be, I guess.

Otter
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
GSP is a popular MMA example.

Bas Rutten was on the JRE Podcast and said the same thing about why he took up self-defense. I know the technicalities of MMA have passed Bas but you look at him and think 'who in the **** would start a fight with that guy let along try to pick on him and piss him off even more'.

Pretty funny how things work out.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uiGQIh-6Kdo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

thabear04
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
If Mike can get a clean unblock on Manning and knock him cold that would be great .

CallMeSquidwad
11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
We've seen it with Jared Allen before, why not? He reminds me of Jared honestly, but I think with how he's played this year T Jax deserves a new contract(although no more $17 mil a year horseshit). This is such a far cry from years past where we had no competition on the line and everyone was content with :whackit: (including Romeo's outdated mediocre scheme)

SeeingRed
11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
I think martial arts are very effective for pass rushers. Interesting that guys like Tamba and Catapano do off season fighting training to help them in football. Any other Chiefs train in martial arts to stay in shape?

link of Tamba training in Jits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJlumbp768

SeeingRed
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
link of Catapano training in boxing/mma...imagine getting punched in the face by this kid?? =0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3qS9QuW6E