PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is the AFC West the best division in the NFL?

AussieChiefsFan
11-07-2013, 05:33 AM
It's amazing to think that just a couple of years ago, the AFC West (and the NFC West) was the laughing stock of the NFL. Last year, the Broncos became a powerhouse, and now this year our division has two of the best teams in the entire league, as well as a Chargers team which seems to be making some sort of rebound by beating some notable teams. Even the Raiders aren't quite (keyword 'quite') as bad as they have been recently.

It's even likely that our division could send three teams to the post-season. It must be decades since that's happened last.

Now, there are some not-too-shabby divisions around the league, such as the NFC North with the Pack, Bears and Lions, and the NFC West with the 9ers, Cards and Seahawks, but I ask you, with the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers all being contenders in the AFC playoff race;

Is the AFC West the best division in the NFL?

big nasty kcnut
11-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

loochy
11-07-2013, 05:55 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

ReynardMuldrake
11-07-2013, 07:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JLijS.gif

ciaomichael
11-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Well, this is the year the AFC West has a full slate of games against the NFC East. So far, the AFC West teams are 9-3 against NFC East teams.

I imagine if you measured the national TV air time spent talking about the teams in the two divisions, the ratio would be inverse to the w/l record.

warrior
11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
To be determined

The Iron Chief
11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Well, this is the year the AFC West has a full slate of games against the NFC East. So far, the AFC West teams are 9-3 against NFC East teams.

As many of us have said it IS the AFC west that created its own so called weak schedule.
Who's to say if the NFC east played the AFC east they might not be so bad.
What if they clashed with the Bills/The Fish?
What if they caught Geno stumbling and a Brady weakened by his injured starters?
What if RG3 was who all the talking heads expected him to be?
The off season talk announcing RG3 to take the league by storm.
What if Chip Kellys high flying new look Eagles were who the experts expected them to be? The surprise team.
What if the Cowboys found a way to be as good as they might be from game one on?
What if the Giants and Eli/Nicks/Cruz didn't get their wheels knocked off right away what if they got a couple of wins at the start?
Maybe just maybe they'd be 2-7 or better.
What if The Jags.. **** them they suck..But we won in Florida which is always a good change.
Same goes for Buffalo IMO our worst played game and yet we finally broke our horrible losing streak there.
I thought I heard the Bills Defense not Offense(Tuel) was the reason we were going to lose that game.

Now lets go beyond this...
The Houston Texans were picked as possible SB contenders and it wasn't because of Shaub, last week proved Case Keenum has game and not just against us. So they might be better with him.

The Titans vaunted Defense in their house..not so Vaunted
The Browns defense and team in general was supposedly on their way up to better days..not so much.
And as mentioned the Raiders are doing better than expected against most teams..but not when they played us.

And lastly some of the teams the AFC west rolled have begun to win now.
Did they all just miraculously get better or is the AFC west one of if not The best in the league at least currently.

Since the new way the NFL schedules have been written with division games heavy at the end of the yr the AFC west will now beat the hell out of each other as will the other divisions so I do not see anything changing til playoff time.

Yes the AFC west IMO is the best with a close call with the NFC North...then again Rogers is now out for the Pack.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm so sick of the weak schedule talk.
I'm more than ok with the talk about our soft offense just not the soft schedule that for the most part the AFC west created.

Molitoth
11-07-2013, 08:40 AM
With a healthy Aaron Rodgers, I think the NFC North is the best and has the most talent.

loochy
11-07-2013, 08:41 AM
With a healthy Aaron Rodgers, I think the NFC North is the best and has the most talent.

well he's not so they're not

Chiefs Pantalones
11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
No. The Raiders bring it down.

loochy
11-07-2013, 08:45 AM

THANKS A LOT OBAMA

ciaomichael
11-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Well, every last place team in every division "bring it down." Look at the standings. The Raiders actually have the highest winning % of every other last place team in the league.

I agree - we have to wait until the end (or close to the end) of the season to say definitively. But all the schedules are pretty much arranged along the same formula, back-loaded with intra-division play. And, by definition, intra-division records will end up .500 for the division.

The Iron Chief
11-07-2013, 08:59 AM

AFC west
Raiders 3-5

AFC east
Bills 3-6

AFC North
Ravens 3-5
Steelers 2-6

AFC South
Texans 2-6
Jags 0-8

NFC east
Giants 2-6

*NFC north
Vikings 1-7

NFC south
Falcons 2-6
Buccs 0-8

NFC west
Rams 3-6

Everyone has a Raider in the family

BigBeauford
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
If you compare the two divisions (NFC North, AFC West), or best is better than their best, and their worst is MUCH worse than our worst. I really do believe we are better.

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
record wise we have 2 more wins than nfc west

afc nfc
e 19/16 14/20
s 12/20 13/19
w 23/10 21/13
n 15/19 16/16

a pp roach
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
not only is the afc west the best division in the nfl.

it's the best division in all american football. including high school and pee wee league.

CaliforniaChief
11-07-2013, 12:53 PM
The AFC West is the worst best division in the history of the NFL./Prisco

a pp roach
11-07-2013, 12:59 PM
The AFC West is the worst best division in the history of the NFL./Prisco

LMAO

Mr. Laz
11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
certainly one of the better divisions in the NFL

Pablo
11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Where's 48ers at to run his awful "herp derp, trophies in the 70's son!" smack?

warrior
11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
:facepalm:

Bewbies
11-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Only if the easternmost team in the AFC West wins the Super Bowl. :)

Jiu Jitsu Jon
11-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Raiders have won 3 games more than most predicted so far. Any thing else is just gravy. They just don't have the talent this year with that moneyball roster. Next year they'll be out of cap hell.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Raiders have won 3 games more than most predicted so far. Any thing else is just gravy. They just don't have the talent this year with that moneyball roster. Next year they'll be out of cap hell.

Terrel and the fumbles rap the throwbacks.

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Half of the AFC West is the best division in the NFL.

Prison Bitch
11-09-2013, 06:29 PM
As many of us have said it IS the AFC west that created its own so called weak schedule.
Who's to say if the NFC east played the AFC east they might not be so bad.
What if they clashed with the Bills/The Fish?
What if they caught Geno stumbling and a Brady weakened by his injured starters?
What if RG3 was who all the talking heads expected him to be?
The off season talk announcing RG3 to take the league by storm.
What if Chip Kellys high flying new look Eagles were who the experts expected them to be? The surprise team.
What if the Cowboys found a way to be as good as they might be from game one on?
What if the Giants and Eli/Nicks/Cruz didn't get their wheels knocked off right away what if they got a couple of wins at the start?
Maybe just maybe they'd be 2-7 or better.
What if The Jags.. **** them they suck..But we won in Florida which is always a good change.
Same goes for Buffalo IMO our worst played game and yet we finally broke our horrible losing streak there.
I thought I heard the Bills Defense not Offense(Tuel) was the reason we were going to lose that game.

Now lets go beyond this...
The Houston Texans were picked as possible SB contenders and it wasn't because of Shaub, last week proved Case Keenum has game and not just against us. So they might be better with him.

The Titans vaunted Defense in their house..not so Vaunted
The Browns defense and team in general was supposedly on their way up to better days..not so much.
And as mentioned the Raiders are doing better than expected against most teams..but not when they played us.

And lastly some of the teams the AFC west rolled have begun to win now.
Did they all just miraculously get better or is the AFC west one of if not The best in the league at least currently.

Since the new way the NFL schedules have been written with division games heavy at the end of the yr the AFC west will now beat the hell out of each other as will the other divisions so I do not see anything changing til playoff time.

Yes the AFC west IMO is the best with a close call with the NFC North...then again Rogers is now out for the Pack.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm so sick of the weak schedule talk.
I'm more than ok with the talk about our soft offense just not the soft schedule that for the most part the AFC west created.

That's not really true. The schedules are bad because the teams we play suck, not because they're facing big bad AFC West teams

Chiefs Pantalones
11-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Chiefs- 9-0
Broncos- 7-1
Chargers- doesn't matter
Raiders- doesn't matter

AussieChiefsFan
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Chiefs- 9-0
Broncos- 7-1
Chargers- doesn't matter
Raiders- doesn't matterI reckon the Chargers can still make the playoffs. Not saying they will, but they're not a bad team.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
11-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Terrel and the fumbles rap the throwbacks.

Because he's black, he's a rapper? Maybe he likes jazz?

Reported for racism.

RunKC
11-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I reckon the Chargers can still make the playoffs. Not saying they will, but they're not a bad team.

Would be HUGE for them if they won tomorrow. Would really help them confidence wise and in the standings going into the second half of the season.

O.city
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Just beat the fucking broncos tomorrow

11-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Today, I am a Chargers fan.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Does the AFC West change even with different staffs?

The Broncos start out strong only to fade down the stretch or get embarrassed in a Super Bowl.

The Chargers start out slow & end up strong even with Norv gone.

The Chiefs fans don't have faith in a retread QB only to have him inspire hope. Now all Alex Smith has to do is shit the bed to fill out the trend.

The Raiders... I think they may just be an advertisement for the tar pits.

jjchieffan
02-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Come on now. The Chiefs have completely changed from the previous staff. Romeo was just awful. They were 2-14 because of him. A joke. This year they were the last undefeated team. With Romeo coaching they would probably be picking top 5 again.(Which would be okay since we would have a shot at drafting a franchise QB this year).
The Chargers were different this year too. With Norm, they were so underachieving. This year, they looked like a scary team. I expect to see them even better next year. The donks, the coaching staff is irrelevant as long as paydayton is in there. Everyone knows that. The Faiders are the Faiders last coach that made them relevant was Chucky. So I will agree with you there.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm older and have grown to perfer a wallered hole. But this chicken is ****erd OUT.
The only thing that's really changed is the stadium music... shit... n/m

loochy
02-24-2014, 06:37 AM
Hey remember when the Cheufs were good for half of the season? Yeah, that was cool.

Rausch
02-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Hey remember when the Cheufs were good for half of the season? Yeah, that was cool.

It's quite an improvement.

And unlike the last 25 years or so we were actually ready to play come playoff time for once...

Rausch
02-24-2014, 06:43 AM
The Chargers are only a positive aftertaste because they got to play our B-Team the last week of the year. And had to go to overtime to barely win.

The AFCW looked tough last year because we ended up with one of the easiest schedules out there.

The NFCW is the best division in football. Hands down. Hell, their 3rd place team was 11-5.

The WORST team in their division fucking curb stomped a Colts team that beat both Denver and KC in the regular season...

Stalker
02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/Y0mtjJmuEDR6M/200.gif @ NFC East

jonzie04
02-24-2014, 07:53 AM
we will find out next year when we square off with the NFC. going to be an exciting year for sure.

TEX
02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
The Chargers are only a positive aftertaste because they got to play our B-Team the last week of the year. And had to go to overtime to barely win.

The AFCW looked tough last year because we ended up with one of the easiest schedules out there.

The NFCW is the best division in football. Hands down. Hell, their 3rd place team was 11-5.

The WORST team in their division ****ing curb stomped a Colts team that beat both Denver and KC in the regular season...

I agree, but then again didn't the Colts beat both SF & Sea?

Rausch
02-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I agree, but then again didn't the Colts beat both SF & Sea?

No...

TEX
02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
It's quite an improvement.

And unlike the last 25 years or so we were actually ready to play come playoff time for once...

They sure were and THAT was refreshing. Now, the BIGGER test is can KC have back to back WINNING/ Playoff appearance seasons??? Lets see if they can buck the trend of falling off the face of the earth after a playoff appearance...I'm betting they can!

TEX
02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
No...

Hmm ...You better check again...;)

They Beat Seattle 34-28 in Indy on Oct.6
They Beat SF 27-7 in SF on Sept. 22

Rausch
02-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Hm...Ok The Colts did beat SF IN SF so one out of two ain't bad.

No, they did win both.

For some reason I also thought they lost to the Squawks.

My bad.

That said, my point still stands that every team in the NFCW is fucking dangerous. The lambs will only get more dangerous after the DC trade that keeps on giving...

Rausch
02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
They sure were and THAT was refreshing. Now, the BIGGER test is can KC have back to back WINNING/ Playoff appearance seasons??? Lets see if they can buck the trend of falling off the face of the earth after a playoff appearance...I'm betting they can!

I'm betting we get better as a team but don't make the playoffs.

There's really no let up in this schedule unless someone decides to completely fall apart.

TEX
02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm betting we get better as a team but don't make the playoffs.

There's really no let up in this schedule unless someone decides to completely fall apart.

You might be right there, but we just might be a really good team. The Offense has found its footing. If the defense can play decent against good QB's, we got a shot. It's not out of the question for a team/teams to fall apart. NOBODY thought the Texans or Falcons would fall as hard as they did last season. My point is the Chiefs have been rebuilding for awhile, maybe with the coaching they have they can take the next step and be a legit good team for awhile. I think if they stay healthy, they got as good of a shot at as anyone, including Denver, at the division. Denver is very beatable if you harass 5-Head and bully his receivers. Oh, and IF the refs let you play defense against them.

Rausch
02-24-2014, 09:06 AM
You might be right there, but we just might be a really good team. The Offense has found its footing. If the defense can play decent against good QB's, we got a shot. It's not out of the question for a team/teams to fall apart. NOBODY thought the Texans or Falcons would fall as hard as they did last season. My point is the Chiefs have been rebuilding for awhile, maybe with the coaching they have they can take the next step and be a legit good team for awhile. I think if they stay healthy, they got as good of a shot at as anyone, including Denver, at the division. Denver is very beatable if you harass 5-Head and bully his receivers. Oh, and IF the refs let you play defense against them.

I think Alex has a solid feel for what he's got to play with. He knows his weapons.

We can afford a step back on the OL to allow a step forward in the secondary.

And our secondary clearly needs talent...

Jimmya
02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
I feel like the NFC West is the toughest.

Chiefshrink
02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Not even close to the NFC West. Just ask Manning about the SB 43-8:D and look at us giving up a 28pt lead in the 2nd half to the bipolar Colts:bang head:

We are much improved but still have a lot of work;)

Chiefshrink
02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
I feel like the NFC West is the toughest.

Yep !!:thumb:

Rausch
02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
We are much improved but still have a lot of work;)

Phat Andy did more than anyone here thought he could.

I think we got a glimpse of the future...

Chiefshrink
02-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Phat Andy did more than anyone here thought he could.

I think we got a glimpse of the future...

I'm not knocking anything just objectively calling it what it is at this point. And I agree that we are improving and headed in the right direction. But an easy schedule helped get us going and to points already made in this thread a tougher schedule this season will make it more difficult to get into the playoffs thus we need to improve our pass rush and pass coverage first and then our WR situation. ;)

TEX
02-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I think Alex has a solid feel for what he's got to play with. He knows his weapons.

We can afford a step back on the OL to allow a step forward in the secondary.

And our secondary clearly needs talent...

THIS is EXACTLY the case. What will the cost of keeping Albert cost you improvement -wise elsewhere? I think with the OL talent on hand, we won't miss much there when Albert leaves.

Direckshun
02-24-2014, 11:30 AM
AFC West is two skips behind NFC West.

The rest of the NFL is miles behind.

Rausch
02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
But an easy schedule helped get us going and to points already made in this thread a tougher schedule this season will make it more difficult to get into the playoffs thus we need to improve our pass rush and pass coverage first and then our WR situation. ;)

Our record next year won't be as good. It just won't.

That said this season was far better than ANYONE thought it would be.

I can argue fine points and players I don't like but the final product was far beyond anything I thought this team could accomplish...

Pasta Little Brioni
02-24-2014, 01:19 PM
AFC West is two skips behind NFC West.

The rest of the NFL is miles behind.

Nobody in the NFL is miles behind anything. Things change....fast. This isn't baseball or NBA.

ThaVirus
02-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Hawks>>>>>>Broncos
49ers>Chiefs
Cardinals>Chargers
Rams>Raiders

.. We're probably the second best division in the NFL.

Discuss Thrower
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
The Chiefs are going to "regress" hard core next season. They'll be lucky to finish 3rd in the AFCW.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2014, 02:59 PM
The Chiefs are going to "regress" hard core next season. They'll be lucky to finish 3rd in the AFCW.
die

Mr. Laz
02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Hawks>>>>>>Broncos
49ers>Chiefs
Cardinals>Chargers
Rams>Raiders

.. We're probably the second best division in the NFL.

yep

BlackHelicopters
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Things change quickly in football. Unless you are the Lions And Browns.

ThaVirus
02-24-2014, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't doubt it if our record regresses significantly.

In 2013 we had a some incredible luck that I'm sure is bound to swing the other way this coming season. I mean, facing all those backup QBs, drawing an extremely favorable schedule, fumbles bouncing our way, all of those return TDs..

With that said, I think it's entirely possible for us to go 9-7 this coming season but actually be better than we were in 2013.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-24-2014, 07:29 PM

I like you, but you have no balls

Deberg_1990
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
I thought the NFC West was best? Three 11+ win teams.
Posted via Mobile Device