PDA

View Full Version : Football So What's the Big Deal with the Astrodome?

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Every night on the Houston local news they refer to the Astrodome as the 8th wonder of the world. Growing up in Kansas City, I have never heard this before. Was it a momentous feat in its time, or are Houstonians just full of themselves? It just looks like a shitty old stadium to me. I vaguely remember the Kingdome being a big deal, maybe in the early 90's, but they tore that down without much fuss.

hometeam
11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
That's just marketing from when it was built.

alpha_omega
11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
I remember when the Bad News Bears played there.

Bugeater
11-07-2013, 09:37 AM
The most notable thing about it was they made the roof translucent because they thought they would be able to grow natural grass inside of it. Didn't work out so well though.

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
The most notable thing about it was they made the roof translucent because they thought they would be able to grow natural grass inside of it. Didn't work out so well though.

I thought I noticed what looks like stained glass in the roof. Seems like a dumb idea considering you can grow grass year round here.

Bugeater
11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
I thought I noticed what looks like stained glass in the roof. Seems like a dumb idea considering you can grow grass year round here.
They wanted real grass and air conditioning.

Discuss Thrower
11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
I know! It's called the ASTRO dome, but when you're inside you can't see the stars! Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

BlackHelicopters
11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
It was amazing for its time. Not so much anymore.

Halfcan
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I watched a game at the Astrodome a decade ago. I have to say I was very impressed. It was way ahead of it's time as far as plenty of restaurants, beer lines ect. Great sound system and an all around fun time. Lots of stadiums have surpassed it by now-but for its time-there was nothing like it.

loochy
11-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I know! It's called the ASTRO dome, but when you're inside you can't see the stars! Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

the ones that realized that the ASTROS would play there

ciaomichael
11-07-2013, 09:55 AM
It was a pretty big deal back in the 60s. It's moniker as the 8th wonder of the world was very well-known, not just a local marketing gimmick. And, at that time, it actually was an impressive structure. As for the name, Astrodome, remember that space and space travel was practically an obsession and source of national pride back then. And Houston was a focal point, being the home of "mission control."

shakesthecat
11-07-2013, 09:57 AM
We went to the Chiefs-Texans game a couple years ago.

The Astrodome looks like an indoor practice facility compared to Reliant Stadium.

jAZ
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Every night on the Houston local news they refer to the Astrodome as the 8th wonder of the world. Growing up in Kansas City, I have never heard this before. Was it a momentous feat in its time, or are Houstonians just full of themselves? It just looks like a shitty old stadium to me. I vaguely remember the Kingdome being a big deal, maybe in the early 90's, but they tore that down without much fuss.

It was the first ever domed stadium. So I can imagine that it was kind of a mind-blowing scale for people back in 1965. I think it was close to 10 years before the next one was built.

InChiefsHeaven
11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Sounds like they're going to tear it down:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/11/06/houston-astrodome-likely-to-be-demolished/3452349/

InChiefsHeaven
11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
9 things you didn't know about the Astrodome:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/9-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-once-majestic-astrodome/

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
It was the first ever domed stadium. So I can imagine that it was kind of a mind-blowing scale for people back in 1965. I think it was close to 10 years before the next one was built.

thanks, I kind of feel like a jackass for not wiki-ing that shit. Eh, I like the range of info better.

ChiTown
11-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Its a huge hunk of shit that will be turned into a parking lot. Justice.

TEX
11-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Its a huge hunk of shit that will be turned into a parking lot. Justice.

Go **** YOURSELF ****HEAD! (Sorry for the profanity but you struck a nerve with me) You have NO IDEA what the Astrodome meant to those of us that grew up in Houston. It was just as symbolic to Houston as the Empire State Building was to New York or the SEARS TOWER, when it was called that was to Chicago (You might get it now). It was an architectural wonder for its day as the first ever domed stadium. It needs to be preserved as a historical building. There are far lesser buildings designated as such all over the country. Problem is it has sat for so long it's going to cost MILLIONS of $$$ to renovate. Folks from out of town who live here that don't understand its significance get to vote , as well as those who ironically don't pay taxes. They're not going to approve any public funding for it. I've always felt that they need to raise PRIVATE $$$ to turn it into something. Let the private sector take over and see what happens. What a concept...

notorious
11-07-2013, 10:27 AM

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/9-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-once-majestic-astrodome/

Feral cats and a magnetic bar.

Cool

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 10:28 AM

the rats & cats are funny

loochy
11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Go **** YOURSELF ****HEAD! (Sorry for the profanity but you struck a nerve with me) You have NO IDEA what the Astrodome meant to those of us that grew up in Houston. It was just as symbolic to Houston as the Empire State Building was to New York or the SEARS TOWER, when it was called that was to Chicago (You might get it now). It was an architectural wonder for its day as the first ever domed stadium. It needs to be preserved as a historical building. There are far lesser buildings designated as such all over the country. Problem is it has sat for so long it's going to cost MILLIONS of $$$ to renovate. Folks from out of town who live here that don't understand its significance get to vote , as well as those who ironically don't pay taxes. They're not going to approve any public funding for it. I've always felt that they need to raise PRIVATE $$$ to turn it into something. Let the private sector take over and see what happens. What a concept...
LMAO

...so worked up...

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
LMAO

...so worked up...

word, it wasn't as long the last time I read it.

Rain Man
11-07-2013, 10:46 AM
If they'd sell it cheap, it would make a great house.

loochy
11-07-2013, 10:48 AM
If they'd sell it cheap, it would make a great house.

money pit

can you imagine the electric bill?

Rain Man
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
money pit

can you imagine the electric bill?

You could probably turn the air conditioning down in the upper deck if you're not up there.

Bugeater
11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
If they'd sell it cheap, it would make a great house.Put in an offer. This could make up for you missing out on the Silverdome.

Rain Man
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Put in an offer. This could make up for you missing out on the Silverdome.

I'm still kicking myself over that.

blaise
11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
If you go to Reliant and look at it across the parking lot it looks small. Like you could almost fit it inside Reliant.

Bugeater
11-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm still kicking myself over that.
It could be a blessing in disguise seeing that this one is actually in a livable city.

Dayze
11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally, it was to be named The Astroglide Dome, but the Astrodome name slipped into its' place rather easily when put to a vote.

ChiTown
11-07-2013, 11:02 AM

My apologies on the usage of "huge hunk of shit". What I really meant to say, was that it is an Ugly Hillbilly Holiday Inn for Sports Entertainment that needs to be turned into a Parking Lot.

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 11:03 AM
My apologies on the usage of "huge hunk of shit". What I really meant to say, was that it is an Ugly Hillbilly Holiday Inn for Sports Entertainment that needs to be turned into a Parking Lot.

LMAO

Brock
11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Fuck the asstrodome and houston and all houstonians.

ChiTown
11-07-2013, 11:09 AM
TEX (or Kelly, his real name) taking the field with his Dad as a little leaguer at the Asstrodome

:evil:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/qq4gK8PkKNM/maxresdefault.jpg

Dayze
11-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Justin Houston is still ok though

Calcountry
11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
the ones that realized that the ASTROS would play thereThis might have something to do with Houston being a huge space center, duh.

loochy
11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
This might have something to do with Houston being a huge space center, duh.

duh

ptlyon
11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
So What's the Big Deal with the Astrodome?

It's the last place of a Kansas City Chiefs playoff victory, that's what.

KC native
11-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Houston is a shithole

blaise
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Houston is a great town. I love it there.

KC native
11-07-2013, 11:36 AM

goddamn it. must you try to ruin everyone's fun all the time.

ptlyon
11-07-2013, 11:39 AM
They must have top notch hookers

otherstar
11-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Such pussies here. Hide in the a/c all summer and are already shivering like chihuahuas because is 45 degrees in the morning.

LOL...how long have you lived here? I've been here for 17 years, and now I shiver like that! ROFL

In all seriousness, for it's time the Astrodome was a great stadium. I got to see the Chiefs beat the Oilers there the last year the Oilers were in town (Bono was the Chiefs QB at the time). It wasn't a bad stadium at all, just old...I'd been in the old Detroit Tigers stadium too and it was just old, so that wasn't a big deal. The NFL wouldn't put a new team in Houston without a new stadium (which is what Bud Adams wanted, and he took the Oilers to Tenn. when he didn't get it), so Reliant was built.

I won front row seats to the Chiefs-Texans game in 1993, and I think Reliant is the nicest stadium I've ever been in (but I haven't been to Arrowhead since it's been redone, so I'm going to assume Arrowhead is nicer). I prefer Arrowhead for a host of other reasons.

mike_b_284
11-07-2013, 11:56 AM
LOL...how long have you lived here? I've been here for 17 years, and now I shiver like that! ROFL

In all seriousness, for it's time the Astrodome was a great stadium. I got to see the Chiefs beat the Oilers there the last year the Oilers were in town (Bono was the Chiefs QB at the time). It wasn't a bad stadium at all, just old...I'd been in the old Detroit Tigers stadium too and it was just old, so that wasn't a big deal. The NFL wouldn't put a new team in Houston without a new stadium (which is what Bud Adams wanted, and he took the Oilers to Tenn. when he didn't get it), so Reliant was built.

I won front row seats to the Chiefs-Texans game in 1993, and I think Reliant is the nicest stadium I've ever been in (but I haven't been to Arrowhead since it's been redone, so I'm going to assume Arrowhead is nicer). I prefer Arrowhead for a host of other reasons.

? oilers?

Just been here a few months. Heading back north for a little hunting trip, some peace and quiet, and a weather reality check later this month.

Rain Man
11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
It's the last place of a Kansas City Chiefs playoff victory, that's what.

SAVE THE ASTRODOME!

ptlyon
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
SAVE THE ASTRODOME!

Zactly. It's our Mecca.

Bob Dole
11-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Bob Dole went to a high school state championship game there in 1999. The good guys were up 34-0 at the half and Bob Dole yelled at the loser fans across the field so loud that it echoed.

Good times.

otherstar
11-07-2013, 12:24 PM
? oilers?

Seriously? I've been in Houston since 1995....

Just been here a few months. Heading back north for a little hunting trip, some peace and quiet, and a weather reality check later this month.

Cool! I took me several years before I couldn't handle the cold anymore. Moved back to Kansas for a job during the winter of 2008-2009 and moved back because the job sucked, it was too cold in Kansas, and our house down here didn't sell.

otherstar
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
There's some footage of the last two Chiefs playoff wins, including the win over the Oilers in the Astrodome, in this video

KxgEiPaqAlY

Predarat
11-07-2013, 01:12 PM
The Astrodome was destroyed on Sunday, January 16, 1994.

bowener
11-07-2013, 01:14 PM

I thought I had read that it grew grass just fine, it wasn't until the MLB made them darken the dome so players could see pop flies that it could no longer grow grass.

ptlyon
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
The Astrodome was destroyed on Sunday, January 16, 1994.

Kieth Cash muthafukka!!! :rockon:

whoman69
11-07-2013, 01:19 PM
I thought I had read that it grew grass just fine, it wasn't until the MLB made them darken the dome so players could see pop flies that it could no longer grow grass.

from wikipedia

"Originally, the stadium's surface was a Tifway 419 Bermuda grass playing surface specifically bred for indoor use. The dome's ceiling contained numerous semitransparent panes made of Lucite. Players quickly complained that glare coming off of the panes made it hard for them to track fly balls. To solve the problem, two sections of panes were painted white. However, within a few months, the grass died from lack of sunlight.[16] For most of the 1965 season, the Astros played on green-painted dirt and dead grass. The clear panels also added a problem when combined with the natural grass. The grass tended to hold, then release moisture, often resulting in rain within the structure, causing games to be delayed while the grounds crews cleaned up the playing surface."

Frazod
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
from wikipedia

"Originally, the stadium's surface was a Tifway 419 Bermuda grass playing surface specifically bred for indoor use. The dome's ceiling contained numerous semitransparent panes made of Lucite. Players quickly complained that glare coming off of the panes made it hard for them to track fly balls. To solve the problem, two sections of panes were painted white. However, within a few months, the grass died from lack of sunlight.[16] For most of the 1965 season, the Astros played on green-painted dirt and dead grass. The clear panels also added a problem when combined with the natural grass. The grass tended to hold, then release moisture, often resulting in rain within the structure, causing games to be delayed while the grounds crews cleaned up the playing surface."

Wow. Clearly a lot of thought went into that design.

cyberjedi
11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
In your face Buddy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zNNkAtrz8

deltachief
11-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I always thought Andre' the Giant was the 8th wonder of the world.

houstonwhodat
11-10-2013, 02:57 PM

You know nothing.

The Astrodome WAS the 8th wonder of the world.

But it is outdated and full of asbestos now.

But back in the day it was the best stadium in the world.

Reliant is a much better stadium but has zero character or history.

houstonwhodat
11-10-2013, 03:00 PM

It's for the Astro-nauts.

This is home of NASA and mission control dumb ass.

Space City.

houstonwhodat
11-10-2013, 03:03 PM

I've had some great times in the Astrodome.

Seen some awesome concerts and motocross races, etc.

houstonwhodat
11-10-2013, 03:09 PM
If you go to Reliant and look at it across the parking lot it looks small. Like you could almost fit it inside Reliant.

It's not as tall as Reliant because field level is actually 45 feet down.

houstonwhodat
11-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Most of the women are smoking hot.

JoeyChuckles
11-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Curse Warren Moon and that dome.

Baby Lee
11-10-2013, 03:35 PM
TEX (or Kelly, his real name) taking the field with his Dad as a little leaguer at the Asstrodome

:evil:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/qq4gK8PkKNM/maxresdefault.jpg

Billy Devane was his dad, no wonder he grew up to be a child molester

http://cinemasights.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/littlechildren-thesadfamily.jpg?w=300

Phobia
11-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Most of the women are smoking hot.

I know. I married one of them.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
June 1975 I was in Houston and they had the most hellish rainstorm. Flooded the shit outta the Dome. I never saw a game there but it hosted one of the greatest CBBALL games in history. And some incredible baseball playoff games.

Rain Man
11-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I've had some great times in the Astrodome.

Seen some awesome concerts and motocross races, etc.

That would be annoying for the band doing the concert. Motorcycles are loud.

mike_b_284
11-10-2013, 05:35 PM
You know nothing.

The Astrodome WAS the 8th wonder of the world.

But it is outdated and full of asbestos now.

But back in the day it was the best stadium in the world.

Reliant is a much better stadium but has zero character or history.

Thats why i asked. Easy fella.

big nasty kcnut
11-10-2013, 06:10 PM
It's a nice building. they should preserve it. Maybe use it for soccer game or something.

otherstar
11-11-2013, 08:04 AM
I know. I married one of them.

Same here....Houston women are very hot!

otherstar
11-11-2013, 08:06 AM
It's a nice building. they should preserve it. Maybe use it for soccer game or something.

The Houston Dynamo have their own stadium...fairly new too.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/72851903.jpg

Pushead2
11-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Soccer stadiums are always so much better looking than most football / baseball stadiums or hockey arenas.

loochy
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Just keep it for use as a temporary hotel for all of the ding dongs that get flooded out when the next hurricane hits New Orleans