PDA

View Full Version : News Neenah, Wisconsin cops stop men open carry stop

demonhero
11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b59_1384076493

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=0ce06bb711c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hate cops. inb4 political board.

The Franchise
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
No1curr

Easy 6
11-10-2013, 04:31 PM
The title doesn't make a lick of sense.

BlackHelicopters
11-10-2013, 04:35 PM
What?

baitism
11-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Couldn't take the cops Lou Holtz lisp.

The Franchise
11-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm going to shoot you in the head.

Bugeater
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
18 min video? Fuck that shit.

Pablo
11-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Cops stop poster from being terrible stop.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
He's carrying a rifle because it's "within his rights." That's the only reason he's doing so. That isn't stupid as shit to some people? JFC.

BlackHelicopters
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Couldn't take the cops Lou Holtz lisp.

Bad dentures

jd1020
11-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Cops get a call about a guy carrying a long rifle in public, they stop to ask questions and learn that its a legal carry and let the guys go on their merry way...

Those ****ing asshole cops.

lewdog
11-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Non correct punctuation...no thread starting privileges.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 04:45 PM
This isn't even about pro or anti-gun. This is about pro or anti stir shit up because it's my right. He had no practical reason to have that gun on his shoulder.

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
He's carrying a rifle because it's "within his rights." That's the only reason he's doing so. That isn't stupid as shit to some people? JFC.

If he is walking by peacefully and not shooting anyone, and it is legal, why is that a problem? Do you believe that the gun is unsafe and will go off at random killing an innocent bystander?

jd1020
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
If he is walking by peacefully and not shooting anyone, and it is legal, why is that a problem? Do you believe that the gun is unsafe and will go off at random killing an innocent bystander?

You should fully expect to strap a rifle on your back and walk in public and not get a visit from the police in this day and age.

Fire Me Boy!
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
demonhero, did you watch the video? The cops didn't do anything wrong. They got a call about a guy walking down the street with a rifle slung over his shoulder, they investigated. They found out the guys weren't bad (stupid maybe, but not bad), and they let them go.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 04:49 PM
This isn't even about pro or anti-gun. This is about pro or anti stir shit up because it's my right. He had no practical reason to have that gun on his shoulder.

He doesn't need a practical reason.

aturnis
11-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Exactly. He's basically picking a fight.

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
You should fully expect to strap a rifle on your back and walk in public and not get a visit from the police in this day and age.

No problem with a LEO coming up to check on me. No need for the cop to threaten to shoot anyone in the head. (as noted in the article when you click the link)

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 04:51 PM

No. That's ridiculous.

I don't think it's a regular situation, and thus, lends itself to the imagination of everyday citizens about the practical reasoning for having a rifle on your shoulder. People don't know this guy's sanity or intentions.

Pablo
Neenah is where everyone's favorite poster, Maverick resides.

Fire Me Boy!

You're correct, which is why the officers let him go. But when police get calls about someone walking down the road with a rifle, they have an obligation to investigate. They did, they let them go, but not before telling them he thought it was not a smart choice - and the cop was right.

LoneWolf
11-10-2013, 04:52 PM

I agree that this is legal and the two gentlemen weren't breaking any laws, but I also want the cops to stop them and ensure that they have their CCW and that they don't pose any threat to innocent people. I saw nothing wrong in that video from either side.

jd1020
No problem with a LEO coming up to check on me. No need for the cop to threaten to shoot anyone in the head. (as noted in the article when you click the link)

Now we are crying about the cop saying he will shoot someone for reaching for their gun?

Holy fuck we are stupid.

Pablo
Guy is an attention whore. Plain and simple.

lewdog
Congrats, it is within your rights to do so but you are also a stupid fucking idiot if you think this represents practical use of 2nd amendment gun rights.

aturnis
11-10-2013, 04:53 PM

To carry one holstered, I agree. To walk down the street with a gun in his hand? At least I'm assuming that's what the guy had in his hand. Not gonna watch the whole thing.

Fire Me Boy!
11-10-2013, 04:53 PM

I also thought that was a bit much, but understand the officer's POV, so I don't think it's out of the question for him to explicitly detail how every action has a reaction. That said, would the cop have really gone for the headshot? I figure he'd go for two in the chest...

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
No. That's ridiculous.

I don't think it's a regular situation, and thus, lends itself to the imagination of everyday citizens about the practical reasoning for having a rifle on your shoulder. People don't know this guy's sanity or intentions.

I am not responsible for the imagination of other citizens. Mind you, I don't carry my rifle around town, but I have zero problem with a legal citizen who is abiding the law going about his own business.

Fire Me Boy!
11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
To carry one holstered, I agree. To walk down the street with a gun in his hand? At least I'm assuming that's what the guy had in his hand. Not gonna watch the whole thing.

Cell in his hand, rifle strapped over his back. Other guy sounded like he had one concealed.

jd1020
11-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I feel sorry for the pro gun people who can't see that this 1 guy was taking his 2nd amendment rights to the very edge just to get a reaction from the public.

After all, the "concealed" part in CCW covers slinging a long rifle over your back in plain view.

Saul Good
11-10-2013, 04:57 PM
I agree that this is legal and the two gentlemen weren't breaking any laws, but I also want the cops to stop them and ensure that they have their CCW and that they don't pose any threat to innocent people. I saw nothing wrong in that video from either side.

His rifle was concealed?

pr_capone
Now we are crying about the cop saying he will shoot someone for reaching for their gun?

Holy **** we are stupid.

We? No.

People who don't like something and therefore are for any action that supports their view? Yes.

jspchief
Things like this should have a positive effect on the pro gun movement.

Pablo
11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I feel sorry for the pro gun people who can't see that this 1 guy was taking his 2nd amendment rights to the very edge just to get a reaction from the public.

After all, the "concealed" part in CCW covers slinging a long rifle over your back in plain view.He's being a needy attention whore, much like the Starbucks douchebags a couple of months ago.

That's all.

LoneWolf
11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
His rifle was concealed?

Did I say it was? The other guy had a concealed firearm. I suppose you think the cops were wrong for stopping them.

demonhero
11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Ban rifle slings, truck gun racks, scabbards, gun and waist holsters, belt holsters etc etc...

Baby Lee
11-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I thought cops were center mass trained.

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 05:02 PM

After all, the "concealed" part in CCW covers slinging a long rifle over your back in plain view.

This isn't a CCW issue. Wisconsin is an open carry state.

lewdog
11-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Things like this should have a positive effect on the pro gun movement.

Exactly. Anyone with half a brain and has a weapon, wouldn't welcome confrontation like this. All of my gun loving friends know better than this tard and would never do something just to bring attention. It's guys like this that probably shouldn't own a gun anyway seeing as he's making these kinds of choices.

jd1020
11-10-2013, 05:07 PM
This isn't a CCW issue. Wisconsin is an open carry state.

I'm fairly certain that open carry does not cover rifles and you need a permit for them, which is why the cops made a point of confirming his CCW license.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I am not responsible for the imagination of other citizens. Mind you, I don't carry my rifle around town, but I have zero problem with a legal citizen who is abiding the law going about his own business.

Yeah, you're right. It's completely within one's rights to be a total asshole without any regard for those around him. Exercising those rights, however, is where I have the problem.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
You're correct, which is why the officers let him go. But when police get calls about someone walking down the road with a rifle, they have an obligation to investigate. They did, they let them go, but not before telling them he thought it was not a smart choice - and the cop was right.

Aside from the judgment about what kind of choice it was, I agree.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 05:16 PM

I feel sorry for anti-gun people who don't appreciate gun rights.

BigBeauford
11-10-2013, 05:16 PM
It's all fun and games until the guy has a negligent discharge. Definitely wouldn't surprise me based on his lack of common sense.

demonhero
11-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly certain that open carry does not cover rifles and you need a permit for them, which is why the cops made a point of confirming his CCW license.

depends on the state.

Chief Roundup
11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
That seemed like it was done very well and appropriate behavior by the cops. If you are going to act a certain way you should know how that is going to be received by others and the actions that might be brought upon you by yourself.

hometeam
11-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Q

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm sure these guys had a full slate of productive work they had to do, but they felt compelled to stand up for such a noble cause.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm sure these guys had a full slate of productive work they had to do, but they felt compelled to stand up for such a noble cause.

Is that what you think of all political protests/demonstrations or just the one's about guns.

Martin Luther King: I have a dream!

Cephalic Trauma: Don't you have a full slate of productive work to do?

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Is that what you think of all political protests/demonstrations or just the one's about guns.

Martin Luther King: I have a dream!

Cephalic Trauma: Don't you have a full slate of productive work to do?

Yeah, that Martin Luther King guy was a mindless asshole just looking to be confronted. It's a wonder how he lead such a profound political movement.

lewdog
11-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that Martin Luther King guy was a mindless asshole just looking to be confronted. It's a wonder how he lead such a profound political movement.

You had to know that this Patard guy was going to make some analogy between something meaningful that happened and some mindless shit going on today. It's his style. Check DC for reference.

LiveSteam
11-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I have know problems with either side on this one.
IMO the officers get an A+
The two in question get a C- / their are better ways to make your point.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 05:55 PM
You had to know that this Patard guy was going to make some analogy between something meaningful that happened and some mindless shit going on today. It's his style. Check DC for reference.

For sure. It's hard not to play when he makes such ludicrous parallels.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I have know problems with either side on this one.
IMO the officers get an A+
The two in question get a C- / their are better ways to make your point.

I thought the cops did a fantastic job too.

I don't know what point the civilians were trying to make, but I don't have a problem with it as long as they're willing to assume the risk they put themselves in.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Personally I think the open carry movement is counterproductive but they do and should have the right to do it.

What it exposes is a discriminatory nature in our society. Why does the mere act of someone carrying a gun make you think they present a threat?

Do you feel threatened if you see a cop in uniform with a pistol on his hip?

Now take that exact same person and put him in regular clothes. Do you now consider him to be a threat where he wasn't before in uniform?

What happens if you change him from white to black, does that now make him a threat?

You see the real issue in play here actually isn't about the second amendment, etc. It's about people who chose to discriminate and judge people based on appearance.

How is this any different than the terrible practice police use to 'stop and frisk'? Police in those cases are using race to stop and question someone. In these cases they are using the presence of a firearm without any other actions.

That's what makes this bad for everyone. If someone chooses to express themselves by wearing a firearm why should they be discriminated against? That's the biggest issue, it's a violation of your 1st amendment rights, much less any others.

We should make stops based upon people's actions not based upon their appearance. If someone is doing something suspicious and carrying a firearm, or something threatening then by all means stop and investigate.

But no one should be stopped just because of their appearance, whether that appearance is racial or the presence of a firearm.

LiveSteam
11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I thought the cops did a fantastic job too.

I don't know what point the civilians were trying to make, but I don't have a problem with it as long as they're willing to assume the risk they put themselves in.

I sure as hell wouldnt want them walking into a Kwikshop like that.
No doubt in my mind, I am gonna duck for cover & pull my hand gun.
The days of the Omaha police rolling up, as I am walking home with a few Pheasants & a shotgun slung over my shoulder, just to ask me if I got my limit & what fields were the birds in. Those days are long over with.
Back then we took our shotguns,rifles.bows ect to school. Hell we got up before the sun & went out to the streams & woods ,to check traps before school.
Not that long ago either. 1983-88 for me

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Personally I think the open carry movement is counterproductive but they do and should have the right to do it.

What it exposes is a discriminatory nature in our society. Why does the mere act of someone carrying a gun make you think they present a threat?

Do you feel threatened if you see a cop in uniform with a pistol on his hip?

Now take that exact same person and put him in regular clothes. Do you now consider him to be a threat where he wasn't before in uniform?

What happens if you change him from white to black, does that now make him a threat?

You see the real issue in play here actually isn't about the second amendment, etc. It's about people who chose to discriminate and judge people based on appearance.

How is this any different than the terrible practice police use to 'stop and frisk'? Police in those cases are using race to stop and question someone. In these cases they are using the presence of a firearm without any other actions.

That's what makes this bad for everyone. If someone chooses to express themselves by wearing a firearm why should they be discriminated against? That's the biggest issue, it's a violation of your 1st amendment rights, much less any others.

We should make stops based upon people's actions not based upon their appearance. If someone is doing something suspicious and carrying a firearm, or something threatening then by all means stop and investigate.

But no one should be stopped just because of their appearance, whether that appearance is racial or the presence of a firearm.

In this case, we would be reactive instead of proactive if we waited until this individual acted in a suspicious manner. At that point, you may have an accidental or intentional death on your hands because this guy wanted to carry a rifle without being disturbed. It is absolutely intuitive to feel threatened when someone has the capability to easily end your life at his or her discretion.

And, questioning one's sanity when they feel the need to carry a rifle for protection when no imminent danger is present seems to be reasonable to me.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 06:25 PM
In this case, we would be reactive instead of proactive if we waited until this individual acted in a suspicious manner. At that point, you may have an accidental or intentional death on your hands because this guy wanted to carry a rifle without being disturbed. It is absolutely intuitive to feel threatened when someone has the capability to easily end your life at his or her discretion.

Do you walk around in constant fear in concealed carry jurisdictions?

LiveSteam
11-10-2013, 06:27 PM
To me.

But you still wont get it

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Do you walk around in constant fear in concealed carry jurisdictions?

No, I just really like discriminating against people based on appearance.

Mav
11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
interesting to see my city on the Chiefs forum.

Didn't expect that lol

T-post Tom
11-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Attention whores.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2013, 06:45 PM
And, questioning one's sanity when they feel the need to carry a rifle for protection when no imminent danger is present seems to be reasonable to me.

I didn't watch the video I don't have the 18 minutes to waste and frankly I've seen enough open carry videos before, but you do realize that those guys weren't actually choosing to open carry because they felt the need to protect themselves right?

The entire movement is a political one not a self defense one. They open carry to express their political position. That political position is one of self defense doesn't mean that that is even their reason to carry. They are making a political statement when they do this.

Consider what you said in that context, that effectively we should question the sanity of people who are making a political statement because we don't support the political statement that they are making.

Note this isn't the crazies like the ELF who blow shit up in the name of 'protest' or the SLA who killed people to protest. These are non-violent activists and yet you are questioning their sanity because you do not agree with their political message.

Consider how incredibly dangerous that is for everyone regardless of what political position we hold. The very essence of the 1st amendment was written to protect this. Because free expression isn't just for those that have the support of the political establishment. Free expression is for everyone....or it's for no one.

B2chiefsfan
11-10-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b59_1384076493

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=0ce06bb711c0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I hate cops. inb4 political board.

As a Cop in New Mexico (Open Carry State)... I've dealt with these situaton where someone is carrying in a highly populated area... usually there to waste our time making a "pointless" point in hopes of getting hits on youtube or a possible lawsuit...

or actually shooting it out with fellow Deputies/Officers resulting in one of my Squad Mates fighting to save her leg...!!!!!!!!

Read: www.kob.com/article/stories/s3201841.shtml (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3201841.shtml)

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I didn't watch the video I don't have the 18 minutes to waste and frankly I've seen enough open carry videos before, but you do realize that those guys weren't actually choosing to open carry because they felt the need to protect themselves right?

The entire movement is a political one not a self defense one. They open carry to express their political position. That political position is one of self defense doesn't mean that that is even their reason to carry. They are making a political statement when they do this.

Consider what you said in that context, that effectively we should question the sanity of people who are making a political statement because we don't support the political statement that they are making.

Note this isn't the crazies like the ELF who blow shit up in the name of 'protest' or the SLA who killed people to protest. These are non-violent activists and yet you are questioning their sanity because you do not agree with their political message.

Consider how incredibly dangerous that is for everyone regardless of what political position we hold. The very essence of the 1st amendment was written to protect this. Because free expression isn't just for those that have the support of the political establishment. Free expression is for everyone....or it's for no one.

Okay, fair. But there are much more effective ways of doing so. Most political statements don't have the potential for dangerous consequences. Openly carrying guns does.

This shows a complete lack of acknowledgement for the feelings of those around him. The reality is most people aren't conditioned to look at guns as innocuous. They've caused too many problems, especially when in the wrong hands, for the collective populace to view them as simply a political instrument.

Wear a ****ing "I love guns and the second amendment" shirt or something of that nature. But I do not see the benefit outweighing the potential cost in openly carrying an instrument for political reasons which can have such dangerous consequences based on the discretion of an individual who may have decision-making and/or mental health issues.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2013, 07:09 PM
As a Cop in New Mexico (Open Carry State)... I've dealt with these situaton where someone is carrying in a highly populated area... usually there to waste our time making a "pointless" point in hopes of getting hits on youtube or a possible lawsuit...

or actually shooting it out with fellow Deputies/Officers resulting in one of my Squad Mates fighting to save her leg...!!!!!!!!

Read: www.kob.com/article/stories/s3201841.shtml (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3201841.shtml)

I'm sorry for your friend and colleague it sounds like a terrible incident but I wouldn't say this really was associated with open carry people. The sounds like a crazy and deranged individual who set up an ambush for cops who were just trying to do their jobs. Hopes for a speedy recovery.

http://www.abqjournal.com/293578/news/apd-chief-outlines-shooting-chase.html

The 911 call that first told Albuquerque police about the ambush that law enforcement officers encountered last Saturday got almost all of the shocking details right: A masked man was waiting for police, dressed in body armor and camouflage, wielding an assault rifle.

It was the detail the caller got wrong that lends more insight into how Christopher Chase, 35, was able to steal a police vehicle, shoot three APD officers and a Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputy, and lead law enforcement on a massive chase that morning.

At a news briefing Saturday morning, Albuquerque Police Department Chief Allen Banks said the initial call gave the wrong Broadway Boulevard intersection as the site where Chase was waiting for officers. The first officer to arrive sped south on Broadway only to encounter Chase a few blocks earlier than he thought he would.

B2chiefsfan
11-10-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry for your friend and colleague it sounds like a terrible incident but I wouldn't say this really was associated with open carry people. The sounds like a crazy and deranged individual who set up an ambush for cops who were just trying to do their jobs. Hopes for a speedy recovery.

http://www.abqjournal.com/293578/news/apd-chief-outlines-shooting-chase.html

Thanks... My point is we have enough on our plate as it is... I'm pro gun as they come (most "Cops" are) but these "pointless" points make the general public nervous and tie up valuable resources... we never know what we're up against until we're knee deep in it...

patteeu

Exactly.

pr_capone

You are pretty sure? How about you go double check before posting.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Okay, fair. But there are much more effective ways of doing so. Most political statements don't have the potential for dangerous consequences. Openly carrying guns does.

This shows a complete lack of acknowledgement for the feelings of those around him. The reality is most people aren't conditioned to look at guns as innocuous. They've caused too many problems, especially when in the wrong hands, for the collective populace to view them as simply a political instrument.

Wear a ****ing "I love guns and the second amendment" shirt or something of that nature. But I do not see the benefit outweighing the potential cost in openly carrying an instrument for political reasons which can have such dangerous consequences based on the discretion of an individual who may have decision-making and/or mental health issues.

Understand I don't personally approve of how the open carry movement is running. Yes you can run an effective protest about attitudes towards guns, BUT it has to be handled VERY carefully and the people who tend to do these things don't do that.

So as a result I tend to think many of these incidents are counter productive and can portray gun owners in a negative light.

Hell if they wanted to do it right they have to understand that

A. Someone is probably going to call the cops...part of that is the point.

B. Don't be a dick to the cops even if they are being dicks. Most of them are just trying to do their jobs. Your issue isn't with the cop on the street it's with the politician in office.

If the cops wants to be a dick about it, the more respectful and reasonable you sound the better image you present to the public especially in contrast to an unreasonable behavior.

C. Personally I wouldn't carry loaded, if you feel the need to have protection then carry a loaded magazine on you but not in the gun. It actually give credibility to the political statement to carry unloaded and realistically if you have a loaded magazine on you, you're not giving up much protection.

Most of the open carry movement is being done by people that come off as extremists not your average gunowner which actually hurts the image in the eyes of the public. That's what they don't realize, this is about image and marketing and you want to sound mainstream not extreme.

Frankly I don't think anyone should feel scared because someone is carrying a gun. It's the behavior that people are doing that should frighten people. In the world of terrorism that we live in that people can hid explosive vest etc, you worry about the person, not what they're carrying.

I'd be curious to see the results of a study. If you were in a mall and you saw one person with a gun would you be scared? Now if you were in a mall and 1/2 the people you saw had a gun, would you be more or less likely to be scared? I'm actually not sure the results of that one, but it would be interesting to know.

It's the herd protection mentality.

demonhero
11-10-2013, 07:34 PM
We need to all start wearing hijabs and whatever its called some of the Indians wear, because we are going to use the society has changed bs. I'm going to start calling the cops on you because you aren't wearing a head scarf. :hmmm:

B2chiefsfan
11-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Understand I don't personally approve of how the open carry movement is running. Yes you can run an effective protest about attitudes towards guns, BUT it has to be handled VERY carefully and the people who tend to do these things don't do that.

So as a result I tend to think many of these incidents are counter productive and can portray gun owners in a negative light.

B. Don't be a dick to the cops even if they are being dicks. Most of them are just trying to do their jobs. Your issue isn't with the cop on the street it's with the politician in office.

If the cops wants to be a dick about it, the more respectful and reasonable you sound the better image you present to the public especially in contrast to an unreasonable behavior.

C. Personally I wouldn't carry loaded, if you feel the need to have protection then carry a loaded magazine on you but not in the gun. It actually give credibility to the political statement to carry unloaded and realistically if you have a loaded magazine on you, you're not giving up much protection.

Most of the open carry movement is being done by people that come off as extremists not your average gunowner which actually hurts the image in the eyes of the public. That's what they don't realize, this is about image and marketing and you want to sound mainstream not extreme.

Frankly I don't think anyone should feel scared because someone is carrying a gun. It's the behavior that people are doing that should frighten people. In the world of terrorism that we live in that people can hid explosive vest etc, you worry about the person, not what they're carrying.

I'd be curious to see the results of a study. If you were in a mall and you saw one person with a gun would you be scared? Now if you were in a mall and 1/2 the people you saw had a gun, would you be more or less likely to be scared? I'm actually not sure the results of that one, but it would be interesting to know.

Several people here carry a sidearm in the general public including malls... it's the unknown person standing on the street corner with a long rifle that makes people unconfortable...

Strongside
11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
This thread title sounds like someone reading a telegraph.

"Neenah, WI cops STOP open carry STOP Titanic is sinking STOP send help immediately STOP"

Eleazar
11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
You don't need to justify why the government should allow you to possess a firearm.

That's why it's called a "right".

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 07:37 PM

I actually agree with the majority of this post, despite the bolded. But I don't think it's imperative to agree on everything, so I'll leave it at that.

Interesting study idea, though. I'm assuming those carrying would have unloaded guns to minimize any potential for adverse consequences. But I would be interested to see the results as well.

Eleazar
11-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Not one clause of this post makes any sense.

How else CAN you really carry a rifle, but open?

Is there now some sort of open carry permit that is different than a concealed carry permit?

If he's open carrying and open carrying is illegal, then why would they need to check his CCW license? He's not carrying a concealed weapon.

At any rate, some states (such as Florida) do not permit open carry. Many states (such as Wisconsin) permit open carry and you don't even need a CCW for it. If it's legal for you to possess the firearm it's legal to open carry it.

Unfortunately many police officers don't know the ins and outs of gun laws, and many private citizens (seemingly you) don't know basics, so you get the kind of people who see a gun anywhere and pee their pants calling police, and this type of nonsense happens.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I actually agree with the majority of this post, despite the bolded. But I don't think it's imperative to agree on everything, so I'll leave it at that.

Interesting study idea, though. I'm assuming those carrying would have unloaded guns to minimize any potential for adverse consequences. But I would be interested to see the results as well.

Life would be very boring if everyone agreed on everything. One of the greatest problems we have as a society is tolerating people who aren't like us. This crosses all political and social boundaries. I don't want everyone to be the same, I just want us to try to tolerate the differences. There are many times we must make laws against things but we should always do it because we have to, not because we want to.

I would be curious about the psychology of the study. I suspect people would feel least safe when there is one armed person. But I also suspect there is a bit of a bell curve in feeling safe. I mean if everyone is armed BUT you, then you'll feel very vulnerable. It would also be interesting to see if people felt safer or less safe if they were armed in those difference studies.

The biggest problem with doing that study is probably finding someone who wants to actually understand the issue rather than try to prove a point in one direction or the other. To many 'studies' are done to try to support a position than understand a problem.

Eleazar
11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
I mean if everyone is armed BUT you, then you'll feel very vulnerable.

I think this is why the safest world is one where there is a good mix of people who open carry and people who carry concealed.

Open carry reminds criminals that there are law-abiding citizens everywhere who will defend themselves or others against crime. Concealed carry prevents criminals from being able to anticipate exactly whom or how many people in a given location might be armed.

HoneyBadger
11-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Good job cops. No way I want a psycho walking around with a gun.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 07:55 PM

I think the most potential for adverse consequences comes from people other than the open carrier (who are frightened by the sight of someone caring a gun or who mistake what that person is doing) and the person most likely to suffer those adverse consequences is the open carrier.

Eleazar
11-10-2013, 08:03 PM
I think the most potential for adverse consequences comes from people other than the open carrier (who are frightened by the sight of someone caring a gun or who mistake what that person is doing) and the person most likely to suffer those adverse consequences is the open carrier.

It happens. There are some people who get scared and call the police when they see someone lawfully carrying, but that happens with people who carry concealed as well.

One good reason to have a CCW permit is that if you make a mistake coming back from the shooting range and there's a round in a magazine or something like that, you'd still be protected. Or sometimes people run into police officers who doesn't know the letter of these laws. Sure, you might get off eventually if you are arrested for a felony CCW charge in a misunderstanding, but not until after lawyers have bled you dry.

It's probably a good idea for anyone who even owns a firearm whether or not they ever carry it, just to protect yourself in unforeseen circumstances

patteeu
11-10-2013, 08:18 PM
It happens. There are some people who get scared and call the police when they see someone lawfully carrying, but that happens with people who carry concealed as well.

One good reason to have a CCW permit is that if you make a mistake coming back from the shooting range and there's a round in a magazine or something like that, you'd still be protected. Or sometimes people run into police officers who doesn't know the letter of these laws. Sure, you might get off eventually if you are arrested for a felony CCW charge in a misunderstanding, but not until after lawyers have bled you dry.

It's probably a good idea for anyone who even owns a firearm whether or not they ever carry it, just to protect yourself in unforeseen circumstances

Totally agree. I was just saying that it's not likely that the open carriers will cause accidental harm with their guns, which seems to be cephalic trauma's concern.

crazycoffey
11-10-2013, 08:51 PM

And a camera, cop did a good job dealing with a person looking to make headlines. God I hate sensationalists. And the op, as well. What a waste of time.

B2chiefsfan
11-10-2013, 08:54 PM
This is a good example how you handle this situation as a Cop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30TagPCNE4

ChiTown
11-10-2013, 09:29 PM

I get what these guys are doing, and I appreciate what the cops are doing as well. That said, what a monumental waste of time and resources. Given the crazy ****ing world that we live in, I'm thinking these guys could spend their time more wisely and being smarter about their choices. It just seems like they cant wait to invite trouble and post their videos on YouTube to look like Conceal Carry martyr's:shake:.

Just Passin' By
11-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Try to use your head.

1.) Open carry is useless if you don't actually carry openly.

2.) If carrying openly results in police stops when it happens, just because someone's carrying, that's a problem with the law and/or law officers.

I hope this helps you understand.

demonhero
11-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Here in the USA your innocent until proven guilty. Yes, that means unless you can prove I'm about to go "shoot up" said theater or I have already done it than this shit needs to stop.

It's folks like you that believe its law enforcements job to protect people. US Supreme Court ruled that it's law enforcements job to protect the public as a whole. Not individuals. In the USA it's your job to protect yourself. Tough shit but that's the world we live in. Less..
Posted 12 mins ago By Noogs 16:40

Leave them the fuck alone.. if they want to sling a rifle on their back so what. If you want to trail in a police car and watch them fine.

CoMoChief
11-10-2013, 10:05 PM
"If you make any sudden movements you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna shoot you in the head, because that's the world we live in today."

BOOM....this fucker needs to be fired.

patteeu
11-10-2013, 10:16 PM
"If you make any sudden movements you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna shoot you in the head, because that's the world we live in today."

BOOM....this fucker needs to be fired.

For what? Giving the guy fair warning in a calm manner? He did a great job.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Try to use your head.

2.) If carrying openly results in police stops when it happens, just because someone's carrying, that's a problem with the law and/or law officers.

I do understand the situation, as my previous posts to people who disagree with me have indicated. You don't have to be an asshole because you disagree.

Ignore. PBJ

Iowanian
11-10-2013, 10:20 PM
The officers were responding to a complaint, they were polite. I think they did a good job.

I'm very much a 2nd amendment guy, but people who do this shit just to get responses exactly like this or worse are complete dbags.

The cop made a very good point about other CCW carriers.

Ace Gunner
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm about as anti establishment as sane americans can be and I really liked how the po po handled that. I agree with the officer -- walking loaded like that is not going to help anyone and it will get the wrong mssg out regarding folks who can and do handle a weapon.

demonhero
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Wisconsin

Open carry of loaded handguns and long guns is permitted without a license. If carrying openly in a vehicle, it must be "visible to ordinary observation" in order not to be considered concealed (needing a license).

They shouldn't have been stopped period.

Iowanian
11-10-2013, 10:35 PM

I'd kind of like to see dbags like these get the Rodney King.

They're being Doucebags to be doucebags.

I saw a mother walk by with a young girl and a bike....Those people deserve to be protected as much as 3 pudwhackers deserve their right to be dumbasses.

CoMoChief
11-10-2013, 10:45 PM
See this goes much larger and into a deeper rabbit hole than just how an officer feels when they see a citizen w/ a weapon.

We can all agree, that most violent crimes committed w/ guns are from the inner city trash, mostly gang related, blacks and other minorities (mostly) shooting each other up. It's not a fuckin secret, it's on your nightly 10pm news every fucking day. With the help of mass media, guns have been portrayed as these mass murdering killing weapons and that we need to all run and hide because one day we could walk outside and some nutcase might open fire on somebody.

Guns are no longer used for sport, they're no longer used for protection, they're no longer used for trading or collecting, they're no longer an asset. They're simply devices used to murder innocent people and kill cops. Over the past 50 yrs the media and govt have been shoving this idea down people's throats and have done a hell of a job doing it. 50 yrs ago everyone had guns, everyone for the most part knew how to use one and felt comfortable around one...even women, and most people were introduced to it at a young age. My dad used to bring his shotgun to HS w/ him and kept it in his truck because after school him and his friends would go down to the river (he lived on the Illinois River outside Peoria, IL) and they'd shoot duck, squirrel, anything living thing that fucking moved lol. You get my point though. Everyone did that back then.

I posted this scenario the other day, but I'll do it again. Cops are trained now not to help anyone who's stranded on the side of the road. They're SOP is to call in assistance w/ a local wrecker and have the vehicle towed, even if it's calling for a simple tire change. Let's say it's a woman driver, and she's alone. Tire goes flat and she pulls over. Deputy Doofy comes rolling by in his squad car and the woman asks the cop if he knows how to change a flat tire. Well instead of answering her question, when it's clear what her situation is, the cop will more than likely ignore her, and will proceed to ask her a bunch of loaded irrelevant questions like Where are you going, where were you coming from, etc. They'll ask for ID even though they don't have the right to do so, because you know they want to protect you by running your shit through their datebase systems to make sure you don't owe these crooks any fuckin money, and if you don't then they'll write you a ticket for something completely retarded so that you can pay your dues to the justice system. Denying them access to your personal info or not giving them consent to search your vehicle WILL ONLY escalate the situation. We may have rights, but in the end cops don't really fucking care. They're not there to protect you. Cops show up after the crime has already been committed in most cases. It's very rare for a local patrol cop to see and actual live robbery or something being committed, unless one happens to be right around the corner or something. Ever called 911 and have the cops show up an hr later?

There are good cops out there. More and more we're seeing good cops become stupid ones because they're getting told what to do from higher ups and other people pulling the strings and all they want is a paycheck so they can feed their family. I get that. But here soon there's going to come a day where they're going to have to make a choice, because shit's going to hit the fan. Obama and his goons are already testing people in the military asking them if they would be "willing" to fire upon American citizens. Can you believe that shit? The ones that tell em to go to hell don't get promoted, the ones that oblige get put into special task forces through DHS where they run martial law drills to help confiscate guns from the American people. What did they do during Katrina? They went to the richer parts of the area and came inside people's houses and demanded they hand over their firearms.

All this shit is coming to form. It's kinda scary what this country's become. I'm still fairly young, but a LOT of shit has changed for the worse within just the past 10 yrs. We come to find out we've been backing, financing, and running the same terrorist group that supposedly caused 9/11 to happen? Well anyone with a fuckin brain would ask...Well then what are these radiant nude body scanners for at the airport and why do you get groped and fondled upon if you refuse to go through it? Ever heard of the 4th amendment? Is that suspended via public travel now? What's the Patriot Act for? How about NDAA? It's not to find AQ terrorist cells...besides most AQ living here in the US are hidden and protected by the US govt. I mean those hijackers were being trained by our own military, were given visas by our own justice dept, were set up housing by our own CIA, took flying lessons but couldn't even fly a Cessna. I can fly a Cessna and have been able to since i was 15....it's not a hard plane to fly. Very simple. These fucking assholes can barely drive cars wtf makes you think they can navigate a 737 jetliner into a city filled w/ skyscrapers, perfect direct hits.

Fuck it...I'm tired. We're all gonna be so fucked. More people are taking out of SS than there are putting into it. It's a flawed system. Our govt is completely out of control and the scary part is that they don't care. Maybe a handfull of them do...that's about it. The people in charge have their own agenda and they sit in front of you and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and we have morons like Direkshun and Cosmo and others and religiously defense and praise Obama at every turn. The guy's a liar. You're seeing that w/ this HC bill being implemented. I hope they never get it working because it would only force the govt to start the fuck over. Impeach the judges that called this constitutional because they're bought and paid for. Get rid of all the morons that voted for it, whether they wanted to or if Obama threatened or bought them out doesn't matter. This govt needs a complete house cleaning. And there are A LOT of people from this admin and the past that need to see jail time.

jd1020
11-10-2013, 10:48 PM
See this goes much larger and into a deeper rabbit hole than just how an officer feels when they see a citizen w/ a weapon.

TLDR

I agree with the opposite of what was said.

CoMoChief
11-10-2013, 10:48 PM
For what? Giving the guy fair warning in a calm manner? He did a great job.

No you don't threaten someone that you're going to shoot them in the head.

You shoot for large mass. This isn't fucking Call of Duty, you don't go for a head shot man.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 10:52 PM
COMO's post:

http://segafans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mother-of-god.jpg

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 11:18 PM

So... you still fairly certain?

AussieChiefsFan
11-10-2013, 11:20 PM
I hate cops.Until you need the help of one.

jd1020
11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
So... you still fairly certain?

I guess it differs from state to state.

Doesn't change the fact that you are completely retarded for having a problem with what happened.

listopencil
11-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Because they are a potential threat.

Do you feel threatened if you see a cop in uniform with a pistol on his hip?Yes. I notice when I come in contact with armed people and I don't necessarily trust policemen. I alter my behavior when I'm around an armed person that I don't know.

Now take that exact same person and put him in regular clothes. Do you now consider him to be a threat where he wasn't before in uniform?It's not much difference to me.

What happens if you change him from white to black, does that now make him a threat?Nope. Couldn't give any less of a shit.

You see the real issue in play here actually isn't about the second amendment, etc. It's about people who chose to discriminate and judge people based on appearance.To a degree we have to. The denser your local population, the more you have to do this.

But no one should be stopped just because of their appearance, whether that appearance is racial or the presence of a firearm.Meh. I have no problem with the cops asking you questions and checking you out if you're carrying a rifle around town. It's unusual behavior. It does get ignored (or at least it used to) in some remote places.

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Until you need the help of one.

Cops would be expendable if I could sling a rifle around my shoulder and lay down the mother fuckin law when people try to fuck with me cuz I'm a badass patriot WOO!

pr_capone
11-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Cops would be expendable if I could sling a rifle around my shoulder and lay down the mother ****in law when people try to **** with me cuz I'm a badass patriot WOO!

reductio ad absurdum

Cephalic Trauma
11-10-2013, 11:37 PM
reductio ad absurdum

Jokio fuck offum

ClevelandBronco
11-10-2013, 11:55 PM
"He's free to be stupid. I guess that's the bottom line."

That's a good cop, IMHO.

duncan_idaho
11-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Wow. Seeing cops like them makes me understand my wife (a prosecutor) when she talks about the guys/gals she just loves on the force.

Typically, other cops hate the "asshole" cops just as much as everyone else, if not more.

I'm really impressed with the way that officer handled this. Kept things calm and professional. Respected the two guys' rights. Investigated the situation. Let them go about their way and asked questions to try to know what calls they'd be getting down the road.

Personally, I'll never understand the open carry fanatics. And I'll be honest, it definitely contributes to concerns I have about the "cowboy culture" I perceive in some (not all, not even many, just "some") folks that are all fired up about right to carry and concealed carry, etc.

HoneyBadger
11-11-2013, 12:50 AM

We can all agree, that most violent crimes committed w/ guns are from the inner city trash, mostly gang related, blacks and other minorities (mostly) shooting each other up. It's not a fuckin secret, it's on your nightly 10pm news every fucking day. With the help of mass media, guns have been portrayed as these mass murdering killing weapons and that we need to all run and hide because one day we could walk outside and some nutcase might open fire on somebody.

Guns are no longer used for sport, they're no longer used for protection, they're no longer used for trading or collecting, they're no longer an asset. They're simply devices used to murder innocent people and kill cops. Over the past 50 yrs the media and govt have been shoving this idea down people's throats and have done a hell of a job doing it. 50 yrs ago everyone had guns, everyone for the most part knew how to use one and felt comfortable around one...even women, and most people were introduced to it at a young age. My dad used to bring his shotgun to HS w/ him and kept it in his truck because after school him and his friends would go down to the river (he lived on the Illinois River outside Peoria, IL) and they'd shoot duck, squirrel, anything living thing that fucking moved lol. You get my point though. Everyone did that back then.

I posted this scenario the other day, but I'll do it again. Cops are trained now not to help anyone who's stranded on the side of the road. They're SOP is to call in assistance w/ a local wrecker and have the vehicle towed, even if it's calling for a simple tire change. Let's say it's a woman driver, and she's alone. Tire goes flat and she pulls over. Deputy Doofy comes rolling by in his squad car and the woman asks the cop if he knows how to change a flat tire. Well instead of answering her question, when it's clear what her situation is, the cop will more than likely ignore her, and will proceed to ask her a bunch of loaded irrelevant questions like Where are you going, where were you coming from, etc. They'll ask for ID even though they don't have the right to do so, because you know they want to protect you by running your shit through their datebase systems to make sure you don't owe these crooks any fuckin money, and if you don't then they'll write you a ticket for something completely retarded so that you can pay your dues to the justice system. Denying them access to your personal info or not giving them consent to search your vehicle WILL ONLY escalate the situation. We may have rights, but in the end cops don't really fucking care. They're not there to protect you. Cops show up after the crime has already been committed in most cases. It's very rare for a local patrol cop to see and actual live robbery or something being committed, unless one happens to be right around the corner or something. Ever called 911 and have the cops show up an hr later?

There are good cops out there. More and more we're seeing good cops become stupid ones because they're getting told what to do from higher ups and other people pulling the strings and all they want is a paycheck so they can feed their family. I get that. But here soon there's going to come a day where they're going to have to make a choice, because shit's going to hit the fan. Obama and his goons are already testing people in the military asking them if they would be "willing" to fire upon American citizens. Can you believe that shit? The ones that tell em to go to hell don't get promoted, the ones that oblige get put into special task forces through DHS where they run martial law drills to help confiscate guns from the American people. What did they do during Katrina? They went to the richer parts of the area and came inside people's houses and demanded they hand over their firearms.

All this shit is coming to form. It's kinda scary what this country's become. I'm still fairly young, but a LOT of shit has changed for the worse within just the past 10 yrs. We come to find out we've been backing, financing, and running the same terrorist group that supposedly caused 9/11 to happen? Well anyone with a fuckin brain would ask...Well then what are these radiant nude body scanners for at the airport and why do you get groped and fondled upon if you refuse to go through it? Ever heard of the 4th amendment? Is that suspended via public travel now? What's the Patriot Act for? How about NDAA? It's not to find AQ terrorist cells...besides most AQ living here in the US are hidden and protected by the US govt. I mean those hijackers were being trained by our own military, were given visas by our own justice dept, were set up housing by our own CIA, took flying lessons but couldn't even fly a Cessna. I can fly a Cessna and have been able to since i was 15....it's not a hard plane to fly. Very simple. These fucking assholes can barely drive cars wtf makes you think they can navigate a 737 jetliner into a city filled w/ skyscrapers, perfect direct hits.

Fuck it...I'm tired. We're all gonna be so fucked. More people are taking out of SS than there are putting into it. It's a flawed system. Our govt is completely out of control and the scary part is that they don't care. Maybe a handfull of them do...that's about it. The people in charge have their own agenda and they sit in front of you and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and we have morons like Direkshun and Cosmo and others and religiously defense and praise Obama at every turn. The guy's a liar. You're seeing that w/ this HC bill being implemented. I hope they never get it working because it would only force the govt to start the fuck over. Impeach the judges that called this constitutional because they're bought and paid for. Get rid of all the morons that voted for it, whether they wanted to or if Obama threatened or bought them out doesn't matter. This govt needs a complete house cleaning. And there are A LOT of people from this admin and the past that need to see jail time.

Blah blah blah. You know where I stopped reading? Where you started to talk about why cops don't help people with flat tires.

Do you know why they stopped doing that? Seriously, do you?

It's because of liability, too many dumbasses suing the police because when they tried to help fix a flat or jump a car the police caused some little damaged and got sued. The public has dug their own hole.

Pablo
11-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Blah blah blah. You know where I stopped reading? Where you started to talk about why cops don't help people with flat tires.

Do you know why they stopped doing that? Seriously, do you?

It's because of liability, too many dumbasses suing the police because when they tried to help fix a flat or jump a car the police caused some little damaged and got sued. The public has dug their own hole.I've seen Highway Patrol here in MO help change tires and help with other roadside bullshit a number of times. City and county no.

Had one direct traffic while I was changing a flat on 29 and chase down a big rig that almost clipped both of us. That's been a few years.

Bambi
11-11-2013, 01:20 AM
The social stigma of walking around with a rifle is far more damaging to these guys than a cop can ever do.

Good luck to them.

crazycoffey
11-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Try to use your head.

But you can carry concealed, knowing carrying open invites prejudices. Right or wrong, open carriers are trying to prove a point OR about to commit a horrible act, that's reality. I KNOW I can open carry but CHOOSE not to because it defeats the purpose of carrying in the first place; open carry only puts a target (political/real) on you. Doing it with a camera signifies to me (someone who agrees with the right to carry; for law/constitution upstanding Americans) that you only want the 5 seconds of Internet fame.

crazycoffey
11-11-2013, 02:15 AM
reductio ad absurdum

Come on, brother. You really want me and other cops to turn a blind eye to an open carrier walking with an AK or AR to the school your kids go to? Or nearby a college your friend goes to, etc etc..... Wouldn't you rather I take a concerned, professional look? You have to realize the slippery slope you are suggesting.

It's just not as simple as "I can therefore should be able to". If you have a legit reason to, why carry a camera? You're bucking the trend, and in today's day and age and news stories, I have to question your motive.

We live in a world full of gray....

Just Passin' By
11-11-2013, 03:10 AM
But you can carry concealed, knowing carrying open invites prejudices. Right or wrong, open carriers are trying to prove a point OR about to commit a horrible act, that's reality. I KNOW I can open carry but CHOOSE not to because it defeats the purpose of carrying in the first place; open carry only puts a target (political/real) on you. Doing it with a camera signifies to me (someone who agrees with the right to carry; for law/constitution upstanding Americans) that you only want the 5 seconds of Internet fame.

You are also supposed to be able to carry open. And talking about KNOW/CHOOSE just shows that you don't actually ACCEPT.

pr_capone
11-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Come on, brother. You really want me and other cops to turn a blind eye to an open carrier walking with an AK or AR to the school your kids go to? Or nearby a college your friend goes to, etc etc..... Wouldn't you rather I take a concerned, professional look? You have to realize the slippery slope you are suggesting.

Not at all. I've already stated in this thread that I have no problem with a cop coming up and having a conversation with me were I carrying a rifle down the street.

I'm arguing with the notion that this had anything to do with CCW and/or how open carrying somehow plays into a wild west mentality of taking justice into our hands as suggested, apparently jokingly, by C_T.

It's just not as simple as "I can therefore should be able to". If you have a legit reason to, why carry a camera? You're bucking the trend, and in today's day and age and news stories, I have to question your motive.

We live in a world full of gray....

I would think that seeing that there is a camera filming some yokels walking down main street would tip off a LEO that these are likely some jackasses trying to get some hits on youtube. If you are going to approach them... why play into their game? Why give them something to put on youtube?

I get it... I do. I never enjoy reading news articles about a LEO losing his life but there has to be a balance somewhere.

Eleazar
11-11-2013, 06:51 AM
There's nothing wrong with police making contact with someone they see carrying a weapon and assessing the situation. If you are carrying one you should expect that and handle yourself accordingly. If you are carrying one openly you should expect it even more frequently.