PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Never forget Jack Del Rio is a Punk

Deberg_1990
11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/101704/jag_16934098.shtml

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio doesn't look back fondly on his two seasons in the 1980s as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs.

With the Chiefs in Jacksonville to face the Jaguars today at Alltel Stadium, Del Rio was asked this week what he recalls about those two years on a Kansas City team that went 8-23-1 and ultimately fired coach Frank Gansz Sr.

"What do I remember? Not winning many games," Del Rio said, cracking a smile.

Del Rio is known for a lot more than that in Kansas City. In particular, fans there still remember Del Rio's role in what is considered one of the ugliest incidents of both the 1987 players strike and in Chiefs history.

It's still viewed that way because of the level of violence involved and, most of all, because of who was on the receiving end of Del Rio's fury that day: franchise icon and Chiefs Hall of Fame member Otis Taylor.

Barely three days into the strike, Del Rio -- who had joined the Chiefs a month earlier after being released by New Orleans -- was picketing the main entrance of Arrowhead Stadium as teammates Dino Hackett and Paul Coffman protested nearby.

How intense were the feelings at the time? At one point that afternoon, reports said that unloaded shotguns were brandished from the back of a player's truck in the parking lot.

Taylor, a Chiefs receiving great and star of their Super Bowl IV victory over Minnesota in 1969, was a scout for the team at the time, and was bringing in potential replacement players for workouts.

According to reports in The Kansas City Star, when one of the replacement candidates accused Del Rio of slashing the tires of his car, Taylor stepped in and tried to break up the argument.

Del Rio reportedly called Taylor "a dirty scab and a lowlife," then slammed the then-45-year-old retired player into the ground. Violence ensued for three minutes before Hackett could break up the fight, and Taylor came away with a bloodied face, the reports said.

"I couldn't believe it was happening," Hackett told The Kansas City Star at the time. "Here's Jack and Otis Taylor, a Chiefs linebacker and a Chiefs legend, wrestling around there on the ground. It was unbelievable."

Del Rio claimed he was defending himself, but Taylor later filed a police complaint and a lawsuit against Del Rio that was settled out of court two years later.

Del Rio wishes the subject would go away ("That's old news that I don't care to get into or talk about," he said this week), but it remains relevant because Del Rio admits his fiery side is still a big part of his personality.

The incident also is relevant because several Jaguars say Del Rio has reminded them on more than one occasion of what their predecessors in 1987 went through during that 24-day strike.

The work stoppage shortened that year's schedule by one game and produced some of the benefits -- unrestricted free agency was by far the biggest -- that today's players have come to consider almost a birthright.

Not only does Del Rio refuse to apologize for his emotional side, but that intensity was among the main reasons given by Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver last year for hiring Del Rio over several other more experienced candidates.

In fact, Del Rio considers his emotional side one of the attributes that helped him succeed as a player long after his athletic skills started to fade. The record appears to bear that out: Del Rio made his first career Pro Bowl with Minnesota in his 11th and final NFL season.

"I'm emotional by nature," Del Rio said last month. "That's how I'm wired."

Del Rio's nature got him into trouble that day in Kansas City, but the record show it has worked in his favor ever since.

KCUnited
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Those aren't wires, they're fallopian tubes.

Dayze
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Those aren't wires, they're fallopian tubes.

LMAO

if by 'wired' he means 'CTE', then yes.

mcaj22
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
predates Ritchie Icognito by 20 years

Sure-Oz
11-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Del Rio
..what a douche

warrior
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I just thought everyone already knew Del Rio was a punk.

Strongside
11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
He and Bill Romanowski used to inject steroids (and each other's penises) into each others ass.

big nasty kcnut
11-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Del rio assclown!

Strongside
11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
BOO THIS MAN

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Football/3242/3242-458Fr.jpg

King_Chief_Fan
11-11-2013, 10:46 AM
took him 11 years to be a pro bowler.....pickings must have really been slim the year he made it.

wazu
11-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I hadn't heard this story. He bloodied Otis Taylor's face?! That son of a bitch! Anything that happens to Peyton should now be considered payback.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2013, 11:16 AM
predates Ritchie Icognito by 20 years

So does this mean Incognito will be a head coach in 20 years?

WhawhaWhat
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Probably at Nebraska. They love psychopaths and criminals there.

:D

Bowser
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Of Nebraska

Rain Man
11-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Del Rio may be the worst Chief ever. He went on strike against the Chiefs, attacked Otis Taylor, lied about it afterwards and accused Otis, and then became a Broncos coach. You don't get much worse than that.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I expect Del Rio to fine Von Miller so that he shows up to the game/court date 3 hours late.

BlackHelicopters
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Did not know the Otis Taylor story. Good read about a real jerk.

Baby Lee
11-11-2013, 12:04 PM
He and Bill Romanowski used to inject steroids (and each other's penises) into each others ass.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Hx_oQwrOzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thabear04
11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Del Rio may be the worst Chief ever. He went on strike against the Chiefs, attacked Otis Taylor, lied about it afterwards and accused Otis, and then became a Broncos coach. You don't get much worse than that.

Might land with USC for the coaching job.

Rain Man
11-11-2013, 01:20 PM

The alma mater of Matt Cassel.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-11-2013, 03:39 PM
How this buffoon every became a head coach is phenomenal.

TLO
11-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Didn't he once injury his punter with an ax in Jacksonville?

Rain Man
11-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Man, I never would have remembered that.

He didn't actually hit the punter, but he apparently put the axe and some wood in the locker room to motivate the players, and the punter axed himself in the foot and missed half the season.

Maybe he'll bring a guillotine into the Denver locker room to show them how tough their necks are. You know that Manning won't be able to resist.

DaneMcCloud
11-11-2013, 04:03 PM

Nah, they want Sumlin

alpha_omega
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
As a matter of fact...i had forgotten all that...thanks for the reminder.

Coach
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Something like that. He didn't literally hacked his punter. Happened in 2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1634325

When rookie coach Jack Del Rio placed a stump of oak and an ax in the Jacksonville Jaguars locker room a few weeks ago as a motivational technique, symbolic of his theme to "keep choppin' wood," it was viewed as a sophomoric technique by some veterans.

Now the move is likely to be regarded as a huge mistake.

The Jaguars on Thursday lost Pro Bowl punter Chris Hanson for an undetermined amount of time -- ESPN.com has learned that he will be sidelined 4-6 weeks and could well miss the balance of the season -- when the fourth-year veteran was accidentally gashed on his right (non-kicking foot) while wielding the ax.

digger
11-11-2013, 04:55 PM
BOO THIS MAN

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Football/3242/3242-458Fr.jpg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RfrvnpfmsxY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
11-11-2013, 06:15 PM
How this buffoon every became a head coach is phenomenal.

Is this a new CP thing? Because I never gotted the memo.

MotherfuckerJones
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM

What a fucking retarded punter and coach

Baby Lee
11-11-2013, 06:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RfrvnpfmsxY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In case you didn't know where they got that from

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/de3WWGCK4N0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Is this a new CP thing? Because I never gotted the memo.

Maybe it were determined that you was already in compliance.

Broncofan7
11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
the bloody face that JDR left Taylor with will be nothing compared to what we do to your teams confidence on SUNDAY!!!!

Straight, No Chaser
11-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Would like to run over this A-hole's game plan tomorrow

Bufkin
11-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Would like to run over this A-hole's game plan tomorrow
http://static.nascar.com/content/dam/nascar/drivers/T/tony-stewart/lookup/nscs_tony_stewart_456x362.png/jcr:content/renditions/nscs_tony_stewart_456x362.png.main.png

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2014, 10:14 AM
His defensive schemes are pure dogshit

Fairplay
11-29-2014, 10:23 AM

That's how he justifies attacking Otis Taylor!?

RealSNR
11-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Would like to run over this A-hole

FYP

ILChief
11-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Didn't scott interview him for our HC job? I would have puked

Easy 6
11-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Who says DeBerg threads suck? This one is spot on.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 04:10 PM

This man clearly deserves the rod of discipline.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm glad he's Denver's coach. He's pure shit. He hampers Mannnig and when Manning retires...oh boy.

Groves
11-29-2014, 04:20 PM
My brain is incapable of distinguishing Del Rio from the Principle in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I just go ahead and hate them both, to make sure. Wasn't the actor accused of being an audiophile?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Jeffrey_Jones_plays_Edward_R._Rooney_in_Ferris_Bueller's_Day_Off.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2014, 04:21 PM
My brain is incapable of distinguishing Del Rio from the Principle in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I just go ahead and hate them both, to make sure. Wasn't the actor accused of being an audiophile?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Jeffrey_Jones_plays_Edward_R._Rooney_in_Ferris_Bueller's_Day_Off.jpg

Wut?

Lex Luthor
11-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Kasandra Perkins's family disagrees.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Wut?

He loves good music :shrug: