PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Should I have asked for more?

BossChief
11-15-2013, 02:03 AM
I wait for 3 hours at walmarts electronics with a ticket that ensures I get a PS4 and they didn't have one when midnight came around. They gave the first 6 of us tickets first come first serve.

Somehow, they no longer have 2 of the 6 they got in when the time comes around for us to pay for the systems.

At first, they offered a 50 dollar gift card and a raincheck that would "ensure that we get the first ones from the next shipment."

I suggested that he give us a little more than that, but don't want to be unreasonable because it's not like I already paid for it. I made it a point to show him how much they are selling for on eBay and craigslist while suggesting that they up what they are offering and he gives us a free controller and a raincheck.

A couple friends of mine laughed a little and thought I should have gotten a free game and a free controller because I am essentially missing out on a 2-300 dollar profit if I were to sell the system.

Should I have asked for more?

How does a store like walmart **** something this easy up? They passed out 7 tickets (when they were supposed to pass out 6) and only had 5 systems.

Wow

Phobia
11-15-2013, 02:05 AM
They're basically telling you that your time is worth about $16.67 an hour. Seems a bit high. You probably made out like a bandit.

BossChief
11-15-2013, 02:12 AM
The comped controller after tax was 64.16.

That's 21.39 an hour. An install takes me about an hour and a half to 3 hours and pays between 90-130. I was underpaid.

Phobia
11-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Ah. Yes. Indeed. Congratulations on your raise.

acesn8s
11-15-2013, 02:15 AM
I wait for 3 hours at walmarts electronics

Have you not learned anything about Walmart on ChiefsPlanet? This is SOP for them. Next time go to Target.

BossChief
11-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Have you not learned anything about Walmart on ChiefsPlanet? This is SOP for them. Next time go to Target.

Target didn't do a midnight release. They open at 8.

I might go buy one there tomorrow morning if they are available. They are selling on craigslist for 650+.

acesn8s
11-15-2013, 02:33 AM

I might go buy one there tomorrow morning if they are available. They are selling on craigslist for 650+.

Oh no, you couldn't wait an extra 8 hours to get a game system. Oh wait

TimBone
11-15-2013, 02:33 AM

How long are we expecting them to sell for that much online? I have one preordered at GameStop that I can pick up tomorrow morning.

TimBone
11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Also, never trust Walmart for gaming sales or midnight releases. They always fuck up.

rtmike
11-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Boy did I get lucky, I bought my PS4 from The Bad Guy.

I love this place.

BossChief
11-15-2013, 02:39 AM
How long are we expecting them to sell for that much online? I have one preordered at GameStop that I can pick up tomorrow morning.

Who knows?

Gotta strike while the irons hot...if they let me buy 5 or 6, I'll buy as many as they will sell me at retail and put all but one of them on craigslist and eBay.

TimBone
11-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Who knows?

Gotta strike while the irons hot...if they let me buy 5 or 6, I'll buy as many as they will sell me at retail and put all but one of them on craigslist and eBay.

Yea, I've never sold anything online before, but I have an EBay account and just now signed up for PayPal. I'm likely going to pick mine up in the morning and sell it. I have an Xbox One reserved as well.

rtmike
11-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Also, never trust Walmart for gaming sales or midnight releases. They always **** up.

this

When the Wii came out, our daughter wanted one in the worse way. We told her if she paid half we'd buy her one. We were impressed with her money saving skills so :D after about a 1/4's worth she saved up, we told her to buy a game & I'd buy the console.

So up to the midnight WalMart release @ a 24 hour store. I think it was at least a couple hours early. I watched an employee come out of the back & count heads & he stopped right before me. I thought WTF? Another employee came out from back & said they had 12 & there were about 50 of us in line. I was #12.

I get a lot of sympathy which I don't care much for. In this instance I guess it was OK. I'm sure that 1st guy was counting to see who the last in line was & when it ended before me he thought, "oh shit guy in the wheelchair isn't getting one". So miraculously one extra one showed up. Do I know this for a fact? No, but I'm pretty good at reading folks. I don't know what happened to folks who didn't get one since I hauled ass out of there ASAP.

thabear04
11-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Also, never trust Walmart for gaming sales or midnight releases. They always **** up.

When madden came out I wanted a copy. And the lady had lost the key to open the case door.

BryanBusby
11-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Eh, you actually made out pretty good IMO.

The Walmart near me pretty much fucking lied to people. At first they told the line there was 12 and ended up changing their minds to 9. Right as they started selling, all of a sudden, "LOL WE ONLY GOT 7 FOR PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T PREORDER!"

The amusing part is you could see them taking some in the back to I assume keep for themselves. So numbers 8 and 9 got royally fucked and they basically said tough shit and you get nothing.

KChiefer
11-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Sucks man. However, you should know that when you're spending 3 hours at Walmart, something has already gone wrong. Did they give you an ETA on restocking?

I tried to get in on the pricing errors they had last week but there weren't any TVs for pick-up locally. I did get a $10 GC when they cancelled my online order, whooopee!

aturnis
11-15-2013, 03:19 AM

Not if I get there first!

Lex Luthor
11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Who knows?

It sounds like Walmart really wasted your time: time you could have spent trying to get that 36th autograph from George Brett.

TribalElder
11-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Is the ps4 cool? I didn't think the ps4 or the Xbox 1 were anything special

Another ps3 for the other room in my house once the price drops though, now that sounds sweet

themanwithnoname
11-15-2013, 06:42 AM
OP, you think Wal-Mart should take into account how much you could have sold it for? I'm surprised they even comped you fucking anything, then again, them giving you a gift card was probably genius since they already know they've got a dumbass sucker willing to dick around in their store for 3 hours like some kind of fucking idiot.

They often hand out more tickets than they have systems because some fuckwads inevitably will bail or can't pay (which is hilarious, hell they were even marketing layaway with the One/PS4 preorders) so it'll open a space, but they don't want to hand out too many for obvious reasons.

If you were that hard up for them why the eff didn't you preorder?

TribalElder
11-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Also, I think if you would have ate at taco bell you would have one by now

They already killed allthetime robots in the battle as I understand it

Fuck Walmart

TribalElder
11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
OP, you think Wal-Mart should take into account how much you could have sold it for? I'm surprised they even comped you ****ing anything, then again, them giving you a gift card was probably genius since they already know they've got a dumbass sucker willing to dick around in their store for 3 hours like some kind of ****ing idiot.

They often hand out more tickets than they have systems because some ****wads inevitably will bail or can't pay (which is hilarious, hell they were even marketing layaway with the One/PS4 preorders) so it'll open a space, but they don't want to hand out too many for obvious reasons.

If you were that hard up for them why the eff didn't you preorder?

Works at Walmart :hmmm:

themanwithnoname
11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Is the ps4 cool? I didn't think the ps4 or the Xbox 1 were anything special

Another ps3 for the other room in my house once the price drops though, now that sounds sweet

They're not, but they're a helluva lot more special than a PS3 is. :D

themanwithnoname
11-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Works at Walmart :hmmm:

Nope.

Bugeater
11-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Frankly, I think you're a loser for hanging around a Walmart that long for a goddamn video game.

MotherfuckerJones
11-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Bet you mcmidget got his ps4

KC Jones
11-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Amazon sold me one online at 10:00 pm last night. It was pretty rough having to click that mouse button. Maybe I should ask for free shipping... Oh never mind.

Marcellus
11-15-2013, 07:25 AM
A grown man waiting around WalMArt for 3 hours to get a video game asks if he deserves more. Interesting.

JK I did shit like this when I was in my 20's.

cabletech94
11-15-2013, 07:41 AM
sorry you didn't get that system. you will. and you made 50 bones. sounds like a wash, i guess. shoulda jewed them into a free remote. ;)

Chief Roundup
11-15-2013, 08:32 AM
If your intention was to buy this and resell it quickly to make a profit you should get NOTHING.
As far as the difference. An employee or two got those that are missing. It happens all the time. My sister works in loss prevention for Wal-Mart and use to be the electronics department manager for the Walmart on Campbell in Springfield. She was told on more than one occasion to hold a certain item for a certain employee.

Chief Roundup
11-15-2013, 08:34 AM
A grown man waiting around WalMArt for 3 hours to get a video game asks if he deserves more. Interesting.

JK I did shit like this when I was in my 20's.

Shit how many older people do this stuff on Black Friday? Get to the store at midnight and wait til 5 or 6...whenever you can start getting stuff off of the sale list. And these old people will get vicious too.

notorious
11-15-2013, 08:40 AM
I now realize I am old since I don't want to wait outside of a Walmart to get a system that will line the shelves in weeks.

I definitely know I am not stupid enough to pay $200 more for something that can be had for regular price within weeks.

Enjoy your systems, gentlemen. I am not hating, I love playing video games when I have time, I just don't understand.

Rausch
11-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Frankly, I think you're a loser for hanging around a Walmart that long...

This.

Wal-Marx has quickly gone from the customer is always right to "fuck you, the line of idiots willing to put up with our $#it is in the millions..."

Chief Roundup
11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
This.

Wal-Marx has quickly gone from the customer is always right to "**** you, the line of idiots willing to put up with our $#it is in the millions..."

RIP Sam Walton...Hello to his children.

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 08:47 AM
So people are really paying $600 for a $300 console just so they can have it on release day instead of waiting a week when the shelves will be overflowing with them?

notorious
11-15-2013, 08:51 AM
RIP Sam Walton...Hello to his children.

I work for a bank system he owned for 5 years in NE OK. He wanted to keep the bank system small to take care of customers.

When he died, the kids grew it as fast as they could.

Rausch
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
So people are really paying $600 for a $300 console just so they can have it on release day instead of waiting a week when the shelves will be overflowing with them?

It always takes longer than a week.

These launches almost never meet anywhere close to the demand...

loochy
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
so next time don't wait in line for something?

just buy it later

notorious
11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
so next time don't wait in line for something?

just buy it later

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/startrek.gif

BossChief
I went to target this morning after dropping the kid off and got the last one they had. My son will play this one (he will be crazy excited) and we'll sell the one from walmart when it comes in.

As for the "why didn't you preorder?" question...I almost never buy electronics and have them shipped. Had a couple bad experiences and feel more comfortable buying things like this face to face.

As for the "fuck walmart" crew...I completely agree, but the kid has been kicking ass in school lately and I wanted to do something over the top for him....and I wanted it for some of the features.

Chief Roundup
I work for a bank system he owned for 5 years in NE OK. He wanted to keep the bank system small to take care of customers.

When he died, the kids grew it as fast as they could.

I can remember Sam Walton personally giving horse rides to kids, of which I was one, while their parents shopped in the store. His very first store ever. He would be very disappointed in his children.

Strongside
11-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Trying to decide if I want to buy one right now or not. There really aren't any games out, so I'm thinking of just waiting until after the new year.

Simply Red
This.

Wal-Marx has quickly gone from the customer is always right to "**** you, the line of idiots willing to put up with our $#it is in the millions..."

Yeah I hate it. I only go maybe twice a yr. Which is probably twice too much.

Simply Red
Trying to decide if I want to buy one right now or not. There really aren't any games out, so I'm thinking of just waiting until after the new year.

yeah I would.

BossChief
11-15-2013, 08:57 AM

400 for 600.

lcarus
11-15-2013, 08:58 AM
It's so tempting to get a PS4 right now, but I'm not gonna sell it. I would just get one to have one. But I've learned my lesson from buying consoles at launch. Never again. I'll wait several months to a year.

DMAC
LMAO walmart...

Chief Roundup
I went to target this morning after dropping the kid off and got the last one they had. My son will play this one (he will be crazy excited) and we'll sell the one from walmart when it comes in.

As for the "why didn't you preorder?" question...I almost never buy electronics and have them shipped. Had a couple bad experiences and feel more comfortable buying things like this face to face.

As for the "**** walmart" crew...I completely agree, but the kid has been kicking ass in school lately and I wanted to do something over the top for him....and I wanted it for some of the features.

This is cool, but I am sure he would have rather had the extras he could get with the extra $ it costs to get it this early. You know extra controllers and games for his buddies to play it with him.

Strongside
11-15-2013, 08:59 AM
And, FYI, I sat in a Walmart for 32 hours waiting for PS3 back in 2006. I was 21 and, in retrospect, very inconsiderate with my money. A guy offered me $1000 for my spot in line and I turned it down. Idiot.

notorious
11-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I can remember Sam Walton personally giving horse rides to kids, of which I was one, while their parents shopped in the store. His very first store ever. He would be very disappointed in his children.

Jim wasn't too bad, but I didn't deal with any of the other kids.

I guess it could have been worse. They could have all turned into coked up losers.

notorious
11-15-2013, 09:00 AM
And, FYI, I sat in a Walmart for 32 hours waiting for PS3 back in 2006. I was 21 and, in retrospect, very inconsiderate with my money. A guy offered me $1000 for my spot in line and I turned it down. Idiot.

Holy ****ing Shit.

A 1000 just to get in line? :eek:

Chief Roundup
11-15-2013, 09:00 AM
It's so tempting to get a PS4 right now, but I'm not gonna sell it. I would just get one to have one. But I've learned my lesson from buying consoles at launch. Never again. I'll wait several months to a year.

This at least a year. Lots of savings and better games.

Chief Roundup
11-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Jim wasn't too bad, but I didn't deal with any of the other kids.

I guess it could have been worse. They could have all turned into coked up losers.

Who says they are not? I thought the daughter had several problems.

Strongside
11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Holy ****ing Shit.

A 1000 just to get in line? :eek:

It was INSANE in '06 when PS3 came out. The shortages of consoles were outrageous...most stores only got 3-4 systems. And this was before preorders. If you wanted one you had to line up. The first 12 hours we were outside...and I had jumped in line unexpectedly when I learned that there were 5 guys on their way from out of town to get in line by a friend that worked at the store. All I had was a light jacket and it got down to about 28 degrees that night. The next day they set up lawn chairs back by layaway and let everyone stay in the store overnight. It was ridiculous, though. Eventually, the store got so empty that they let us get up and walk around for a bit...I bought a bag of chips and a 12 pack of soda. After we got our systems, the police followed me home because there were reports of people being pulled over and robbed after leaving stores.

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:05 AM

Wow. People are stupid. :)

Strongside
11-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Wow. People are stupid. :)

I consider it a learning experience, lol. If I knew then what I know now...

BossChief
11-15-2013, 09:07 AM

That's why I'm getting 2. Hopefully make a 200 profit on one to lower my total spent. I already got the free controller, too.

Having 200 wrapped up into a ps4 with 2 controllers is pretty good.

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:07 AM

The only launch day console I bought was the PS2. Had to go back to the store two times that day because the fucking thing wouldn't work. Third time was apparently the charm and I got one that worked.

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:08 AM

Oh, and I wasn't calling you stupid. Well, you kind of are for not taking that $1000. I was saying the guys was stupid for offering $1,000 for a $300-$400 console.

Rausch
11-15-2013, 09:08 AM
A guy offered me $1000 for my spot in line and I turned it down. Idiot.

You can fuck my wife for $1,000.

For an extra $200 you can have my PS3...

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:09 AM
You can fuck my wife for $1,000.

On my way. I've been wanting a PS3.

cosmo20002
11-15-2013, 09:12 AM
How does a store like walmart **** something this easy up? They passed out 7 tickets (when they were supposed to pass out 6) and only had 5 systems.

A couple managers got themselves one.

Rausch
11-15-2013, 09:14 AM
On my way. I've been wanting a PS3.

Cash only.

No cell phones or flash photography...

Dayze
11-15-2013, 09:16 AM
You can **** my wife for $1,000.

LMAO

Strongside
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
You can **** my wife for $1,000.

PM me your address. I hope she's ok with walking funny for a few days.

Rausch
11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
LMAO

Dude, I bought the last one in Mo. that will play PS1/PS2/PS3 games.

I'm not parting with that for less than $1,200...

Rausch
11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
PM me your address. I hope she's ok with walking funny for a few days.

She's use to it.

I tend to drink a lot...

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Cash only.

No cell phones or flash photography...

Can I bring my video camera?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg

Rausch
11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Can I bring my video camera?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg

Yup.

Night vision sucks on those...

htismaqe
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Walmart screwed you out of you chance to gouge some poor sucker that would rather pay an extra $150 than wait a couple of weeks?

Oh the injustice!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mr. Plow
11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Yup.

Night vision sucks on those...

Yeah, that's why I bring 8 of these along.

http://img3.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/12794/4863858/1/Two+500+Watt+Portable+Halogen+Work+Light+L-13.jpg

htismaqe
It always takes longer than a week.

These launches almost never meet anywhere close to the demand...

Let's not lie to ourselves and say it's going to be 6 months though.

A 150-200% premium for MAYBE 4 weeks.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

ChiTown
Walmart screwed you out of you chance to gouge some poor sucker that would rather pay an extra $150 than wait a couple of weeks?

Oh the injustice!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Yeah, I'm not seeing this one. I laugh at this shit anyway. I WANT MAH JUSTICE. I BEEN WRONGED!

Simple, stupid, mistake by Walmart. Just move on

htismaqe
11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
I remember the good old days when the retailers wouldn't allow you to buy more than 1, even with a pre-order.

Ace Gunner
11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
it always makes me chuckle when I read somebody thinks they have the upper hand when a mega corporation screws them

Buck
11-15-2013, 09:52 AM
What makes you think you're entitled to free money? They already compensated you really we'll.

NewChief
11-15-2013, 10:37 AM
A couple managers got themselves one.

Hah. Exactly what I was going to say. Wal-Mart didn't screw it up; the managers profited and Wal-Mart is going to foot the bill for the free controller and gift certificate out of their customer retention budget.

SAUTO
11-15-2013, 10:44 AM
I now realize I am old since I don't want to wait outside of a Walmart to get a system that will line the shelves in weeks.

I definitely know I am not stupid enough to pay $200 more for something that can be had for regular price within weeks.

Enjoy your systems, gentlemen. I am not hating, I love playing video games when I have time, I just don't understand.

this.

BossChief
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
What makes you think you're entitled to free money? They already compensated you really we'll.Where did I say I expected any free money? A couple of my buddies thought I should have got more and I didnt think so and that's why I made the thread.

I think some of you didn't read this through correctly, or I wasn't clear enough.

I am completely fine with them just giving me a controller for the minor inconvenience. Shit, I didn't think they would do anything but issue a raincheck.

themanwithnoname
11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Where did I say I expected any free money? A couple of my buddies thought I should have got more and I didnt think so and that's why I made the thread.

I think some of you didn't read this through correctly, or I wasn't clear enough.

I am completely fine with them just giving me a controller for the minor inconvenience. Shit, I didn't think they would do anything but issue a raincheck.

I can buy that. Oh wait, no because, funny thing is, I did read this correctly, and what's this?

I suggested that he give us a little more than that, but don't want to be unreasonable because it's not like I already paid for it. I made it a point to show him how much they are selling for on eBay and craigslist while suggesting that they up what they are offering and he gives us a free controller and a raincheck.

I think you should read what you wrote yourself.

Kudos for "buying it for your son" I guess, although I have a hunch that's not entirely true either but hell I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're generally an ok poster on here from what I can tell.