PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Last Night's Game

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Ten Things About Last Night's Game
(Greetings from the Cube Farm) Everybody look busy, it's a work day....

10. You didn't expect them to go undefeated, did you? Yesterday's game day routine was different, because of the Sunday Night game. I got up, cleaned up the garage, tried to rake leaves, but the prevailing 40 mph wind gusts kept blowing the neighbor's leaves into my yard, and blew my Chiefs flag right off the flagpole. That was not a good sign. Neither was Peeholi showing up on the NBC pre-game show. Asking Peeholi for insight into the 2013 Chiefs is like asking Ike Turner how to stop domestic violence. I was pretty much Peyton'ed out by NBC, so I turned on Lenny and Mitch, and of course, drank every time Lenny said "penetration." That certainly took the edge off.

9. Nothing like coming out and playing with your nut sack in your throat. Brandon Albert, who is allegedly our most gifted and experienced lineman, jumps offside on the very first play. He continually leaves his man upright the entire game, and gives up multiple batted balls at the line of scrimmage. Sad thing is, he had the best game on the entire front line. Denver's defensive front won the match up, hands down. They had three sacks and multiple batted balls. Mister first pick Fisher remains a maddening enigma. He held Von Miller in check, but then lost to everyone else who lined up on him. He got torched especially bad by Wolfe, giving up a crucial 16-yard sack to knock KC out of field goal range. Phillips beat every KC lineman he lined up against. By far, KC's offensive line was the weak link in the match up. Our offensive line play has gotten worse over the past three weeks, and that is worrisome. If there is a silver lining, it seems as if when they brought in Schwartz and Stephenson in the fourth quarter, they didn't play any worse than the guys they replaced. They may be better players anyway.

8. Receivers also came out with their nuts in their throat. Avery drops a big ball early. Charles drops one that was a perfectly set up screen. Bowe was targeted fourteen times and only caught four. Charles was targeted eight times, and catches two for a yardage total of negative six yards. Our receivers are poor at getting separation. On the quick slants they are never open. The tight ends tend to do a little better, when Alex Smith doesn't overthrow them. Even the final TD Smith threw was overthrown. He was lucky that Fasano came down in bounds on his hip, or we lose by 17 instead of 10.

7. Alex Smith is looking more Cassel-like week by week. The difference between the two QBs is, Smith can run out of trouble, and Smith doesn't fumble or throw picks. Otherwise, they're basically the same guy. Smith's alleged accuracy is not evident. He tends to overthrow, which means he's having to get rid of the ball fast, and is not stepping into the throw. Very seldom does he have a clean pocket with no pressure, and when he does, his receivers can't separate. Bottom line is, KC lacks skill position players that can be game changers. When Dexter McMidget is your leading receiver, that's a problem.

6. If you want to look through rose colored glasses, Smith threw twice as many TD's as Manning. Manning threw for 100 more yards, but 70 of that was when Cooper got torched by Thomas. The main difference was, Manning was rarely under pressure to unload, where Smith was constantly under pressure to unload. Smith took a couple of sacks that were unnecessary. Usually he's good at unloading the ball and avoiding sacks, but he ate a couple that were on him.

5. Peyton Manning is basically the 2013 version of John Elway. All those years we matched up against Horse Face, the prevailing wisdom was, if you settle for field goals against Elway, you will lose. Same is true with Manning. When you are first and goal from the two, and end up settling for a field goal, you are going to lose. And, if you have first and goal from the two, and can't punch it in, you DESERVE to lose. There's some second guessing we can do with some of Andy's decisions as well. Why not kick off to Denver to start the game? That way, you put the defense on the field, let them establish themselves and deny Manning an additional possession in the second half, when he seems to hit his stride? Why are you punting when down two scores in the fourth quarter with the clock under ten minutes? Why are you only giving Charles 16 carries when he clearly isn't getting it done in the passing game? The challenge on Fasano's TD was a good decision. Reid seems to be wise in his challenge choices.

4. Hali and Poe should be ashamed of themselves. They were owned. Period. Poe was better on run support, but both guys only had three tackles each and put no real pressure on Manning all night long. Houston led the team in tackles, so he was active, and got some pressure on Manning a couple times. But zero sacks will not get it done against an elite QB. More worrisome, KC now has had only one sack in their last three games. Pressure on the QB is a huge part of the winning formula to this point, and if that is taken away by opposing offenses, we can expect more losses.

3. The fumble trade off was unfortunate. The sad thing was, at the point in the game where Denver fumbled, if KC can sustain a drive, they're right back into the thick of the game. I don't really fault Sherman for fumbling. He got blasted hard twice on that play, held the ball on the first blast then lost it on the second blast. We shouldn't be reduced to having to throw passes to the fullback to move the ball anyway. If our wide receivers were more reliable, we wouldn't have to use Sherman in that fashion. Right after that play, Manning hits on one of the few long passes of the night, suckering a rookie (Cooper) and flipping the field. Then we're down by two possessions, which was the case for most of the evening. I guess the silver lining is, Cooper played pretty well after that, until he allowed Decker to get a big first down by the nose hair of the football -icing the game in the fourth quarter.

2. Vegas had Denver as an eight point favorite, and we lost by ten. If Denver doesn't miss a field goal because of a low snap, they hang thirty on us. This game was never close, and Denver controlled the game from the very beginning. All in all, except for lack of pass rush, the defense didn't play that bad. Giving up 27 in Denver is not bad. Denver averaged less than three yards per rushing play, and that's good run defense. Starting the second half, the defense got three straight three and outs on Manning. Our offense did nothing with the opportunity. Bottom line is, Denver was just better on this night, and deserved to win. And for their efforts, they are now tied with us for the lead in the AFC West with a road game to New England staring them in the face. Let's hope the Hoodie beats them, and beats them up before the rematch in Arrowhead.

1. Last night I was dozing off to some of the post game shows. This game went about the way I expected it to, but it was amusing to listen to the Chicken Little's screaming about Smith, and Reid, and Dorsey not going after Tony Gonzalez at the trade deadline, and we're going to get exposed in the playoffs, and this team is a fraud and blah blah blah. One year ago, The Chiefs were 1-10 after losing at home to the Bengals 28-6. Quinn was our QB, Moeaki was our leading receiver. That was the infamous "Blackout" game. A year later, the team is 9-1, tied for first in the AFC West, battling for the division and home field advantage in the playoffs. With Denver having to go to New England, and then to Arrowhead, it's not out of the question that they could lose both of those games. Now is the time to focus, and focus hard, on San Diego and Phyllis Rivers. Last year KC lost at Arrowhead to Rivers 37-20. Time to make that right, because if we don't win Sunday, what happens against Denver the week after doesn't matter nearly as much.

Game pictures from the Star are here:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/17/4629744/chiefs-vs-broncos-at-mile-high.html

Old Dog
11-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Bout damn time....this is the first thing I looked for when I logged on this morning.

Haven't read it yet, but thanks again George....

big nasty kcnut
11-18-2013, 10:45 AM
great job George.

Prison Bitch
11-18-2013, 10:48 AM
2. Vegas had Denver as an eight point favorite, and we lost by ten. If Denver doesn't miss a field goal because of a low snap, they hang thirty on us. This game was never close, and Denver controlled the game from the very beginning. .

That's my main take-away. Chiefs were not competitive. It was a 17-point lead with 5 minutes to go before our garbage TD late. That is NOT an even NFL game. When was the last time we were up 17 points late in a game?

manchambo
11-18-2013, 10:55 AM
My two cents on the lack of pressure on Manning: Denver very deliberately leaned on the run to slow down the rushers. The Denver rushing game wasn't spectacular, but it was effective enough to make the strategy work (along with a strong game from the ol). What KC really needed to do was to stop therun game early so their pass rushers could tee off. If KC can play better against the run in the next meeting, the results may be different.

Fairplay
11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm still like this........

http://i.imgur.com/IQJQDSR.gif

Prison Bitch
11-18-2013, 11:00 AM
My two cents on the lack of pressure on Manning: Denver very deliberately leaned on the run to slow down the rushers. The Denver rushing game wasn't spectacular, but it was effective enough to make the strategy work (along with a strong game from the ol). What KC really needed to do was to stop therun game early so their pass rushers could tee off. If KC can play better against the run in the next meeting, the results may be different.

All 3 times they were in the red zone, they scored TDs. Andy could learn a lesson there. And it wasn't all Peyton either, they ran it for 2 of them. Why they can pound it in near the goal line but we can't, you'd have to ask ANdy.

Hoover
11-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm still like this........

http://i.imgur.com/IQJQDSR.gif
Yeah me too.

Poor gal in my office sent me a pissy email this morning. I took it out on her and CCed my response to the entire staff. She was all "I'm not good at X, can you write it up for me." I responded with the standard if i knew I was going to have to do your work all of the time I guess I didn't need to hire you."

Needless to say the office is pretty quiet today. I think I'm going to leave early an hit the gun range.

effin Broncos.

Hoover
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
All 3 times they were in the red zone, they scored TDs. Andy could learn a lesson there. And it wasn't all Peyton either, they ran it for 2 of them. Why they can pound it in near the goal line but we can't, you'd have to ask ANdy.
Andy did try to pound it. Three effin times in a row. The 3rd down run was the worse call of the night.

kcpasco
I disagree of that being a garbage TD. Yes their was only 5 minutes but KC still had all 3 timeouts left.

L.A. Chieffan
You can't blame the pass rush too much on the defense. The way Denver's offense is set up Peyton is getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds on almost every throw.

Hoover
11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
If you would have given me the Denver box score before the game and told me that Peyton was only going to throw one TD, I think we all would have taken it.

Rain Man
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
You can't blame the pass rush too much on the defense. The way Denver's offense is set up Peyton is getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds on almost every throw.

We had nine guys on the line the whole game, too, which I thought was the appropriate way to play it. Manning is just hard to beat.

The Franchise
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM

This.

And you can blame our goalline fuck up on our interior offensive line. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with these assholes but they better figure it out.

Chief Henry
11-18-2013, 11:14 AM
We left at least 18 points on the field last night :banghead:

siberian khatru
11-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I went to bed and listened to 810 and 610 postgame shows streaming on my phone and didn't fall asleep until 1:30 a.m. I got 4 hours of sleep and am dragging fiercely today.

TEX
11-18-2013, 11:16 AM
This.

And you can blame our goalline **** up on our interior offensive line. I don't know what the **** is wrong with these assholes but they better figure it out.

That's exactly the case. Thing is at any given time any one of them can fuck up.

Fritz88
11-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Good stuff. Andy didn't do well. Don't settle for FGs.

But I'll give the Donks defense credit. They pressured Alex all night long. Our Oline is bad.

TEX
11-18-2013, 11:17 AM
If you would have given me the Denver box score before the game and told me that Peyton was only going to throw one TD, I think we all would have taken it.

Exactly! I'd have taken it for sure especially IN Denver.

bevischief
11-18-2013, 11:18 AM
great job as always.

FringeNC
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Andy Reid is a good coach, and I think we will be in the playoffs most years with Reid and Dorsey in charge. Having said that, Reid's (and most every other coach) pathological risk-aversion drives me crazy. You have to go for the TD on 4th down and you absolutely can't when down by 14 in the 4th quarter from the opposition 40.

ChiefRocka
11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I think its time for Mr. Davis to assume the goaline back duties. If he fumbles, he fumbles but at least try him.

salame
11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
1. C
2. H
3. U
4. E
5. F
6. S

Mosbonian
11-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Good job again George....a lot of good points.

One thing you missed.....I don't think DMAC should ever see another punt return or kickoff return. He is too busy trying to be Dante Hall.....good PR's and KR's hit a hole and run straight to it. If you get tackled so what.....but every once in a while you hit a seam and no one can catch you.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Good job again George....a lot of good points.

One thing you missed.....I don't think DMAC should ever see another punt return or kickoff return. He is too busy trying to be Dante Hall.....good PR's and KR's hit a hole and run straight to it. If you get tackled so what.....but every once in a while you hit a seam and no one can catch you.

Depends on who you want to replace him with?
Demps is OK, but doesn't have the elusiveness.
Knile Davis has speed, but fumbles.
Arenas is in Arizona.
Can't put Charles back there....
Avery?
Jenkins?

Returns is one of the reasons McMidget holds down a roster spot. And there's not many players that are available that are "Dante Hall Quality" anyway.

I'm OK with using McMidget until they find somebody better.

CoMoChief
11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
-We have a QB that limits this offense and what it can/can't do.

-We have WR's who can't catch the ball, and can't get separation from defenders.

-We have an Oline that can't run or pass block for shit.

Makes it pretty hard to produce anything on offense when have these 3 major problems at hand. The really great teams can maybe get by covering up 1 of those issues. You absolutely will not succeed in the NFL if you're terrible at all 3.

CaliforniaChief
11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
The Sherman fumble was big. But that also came off a turnover (even dumber).

Settling for 3 was a huge loss. They just HAVE to find a way to score 7 with 3 shots. Taking the field goal was ok once it got to 4th, but it shouldn't have gotten there.

Punting in their territory in that situation was borderline criminal. Just awful.

We were right there all through the 3rd quarter. And what did we have...3 3 and outs? 4? That just can't happen.

Gotta fix it...gotta win Sunday. This thing could look a lot different after Sunday night.

CoMoChief
11-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Don't understand putting Cooper on Thomas at all...at any point in the game. Don't know why Sean Smith wasn't lining up across from him more.

Charles can't catch

We can't score from 1st n goal

Sherman fumbles when we're about to score.

Avery drops a huge pass thrown right into the only place he could get it, that would have put KC into score range.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 11:48 AM
They shouldn't even bother kicking off in Denver anyway. Just start each drive on the 20 and save the drama...

ThaVirus
11-18-2013, 11:59 AM
1. Last night I was dozing off to some of the post game shows. This game went about the way I expected it to, but it was amusing to listen to the Chicken Little's screaming about Smith, and Reid, and Dorsey not going after Tony Gonzalez at the trade deadline, and we're going to get exposed in the playoffs, and this team is a fraud and blah blah blah. One year ago, The Chiefs were 1-10 after losing at home to the Bengals 28-6. Quinn was our QB, Moeaki was our leading receiver. That was the infamous "Blackout" game. A year later, the team is 9-1, tied for first in the AFC West, battling for the division and home field advantage in the playoffs. With Denver having to go to New England, and then to Arrowhead, it's not out of the question that they could lose both of those games. Now is the time to focus, and focus hard, on San Diego and Phyllis Rivers. Last year KC lost at Arrowhead to Rivers 37-20. Time to make that right, because if we don't win Sunday, what happens against Denver the week after doesn't matter nearly as much.

This is a good one and one that we shouldn't lose sight of..

Let's just take this loss into context. Beating a division rival in their house is not an easy task. When that division rival is one of the best teams in the game, it becomes damn near an impossible feat. Expecting a sweep of the Broncos this year is just about as unrealistic as it gets.

Of course, we lost and we looked exceedingly bad on the offensive side of the ball, which gives us cause for concern, but we played a decent game against them on the whole. Clean up a few mistakes, bring this one to Arrowhead and we have a good shot to beat them in a 23-20 game.

(The "cleaning up a few mistakes" comment may just be asking too much though. After 10 weeks of watching our offense look like a fucking orangutan humping a door knob, that may just be who they are.)

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 12:03 PM
After 10 weeks of watching our offense look like a ****ing orangutan humping a door knob, that may just be who they are.)

Worthless without pics...

Mosbonian
11-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Depends on who you want to replace him with?
Demps is OK, but doesn't have the elusiveness.
Knile Davis has speed, but fumbles.
Arenas is in Arizona.
Can't put Charles back there....
Avery?
Jenkins?

Returns is one of the reasons McMidget holds down a roster spot. And there's not many players that are available that are "Dante Hall Quality" anyway.

I'm OK with using McMidget until they find somebody better.

Honestly....elusiveness isn't really the quality you want to have at those positions, it's speed and intelligence. Rarely does a KO or Punt return come about because of "elusiveness", it comes from the blockers creating a seam and the return guy knowing to hit the hole. And you aren't going to take it to the house every time. You want a guy who makes yardage, not jukes around looking for a possible hole. Too many times that juking causes a senseless penalty.

I am all for giving Demps and Jenkins a shot at it. Jenkins isn't really doing anything so it wouldn't hurt to make him earn his pay.

At least Demps knows what to do with the ball....heck I don't even care of we gave Avery a chance, at least he can catch a KO or Punt, but can't seem to catch a pass to save his soul.

Just my thoughts....I'm tired of seeing DMAC dancing. He doesn't have the moves.

TLO
11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Still fun to read, even after a loss.

MahiMike
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
"9. Nothing like coming out and playing with your nut sack in your throat. Brandon Albert, who is allegedly our most gifted and experienced lineman, jumps offside on the very first play. He continually leaves his man upright the entire game, and gives up multiple batted balls at the line of scrimmage. Sad thing is, he had the best game on the entire front line. Denver's defensive front won the match up, hands down. They had three sacks and multiple batted balls. Mister first pick Fisher remains a maddening enigma. He held Von Miller in check, but then lost to everyone else who lined up on him. He got torched especially bad by Wolfe, giving up a crucial 16-yard sack to knock KC out of field goal range. Phillips beat every KC lineman he lined up against. By far, KC's offensive line was the weak link in the match up. Our offensive line play has gotten worse over the past three weeks, and that is worrisome. If there is a silver lining, it seems as if when they brought in Schwartz and Stephenson in the fourth quarter, they didn't play any worse than the guys they replaced. They may be better players anyway.

8. Receivers also came out with their nuts in their throat. Avery drops a big ball early. Charles drops one that was a perfectly set up screen. Bowe was targeted fourteen times and only caught four. Charles was targeted eight times, and catches two for a yardage total of negative six yards. Our receivers are poor at getting separation. On the quick slants they are never open. The tight ends tend to do a little better, when Alex Smith doesn't overthrow them. Even the final TD Smith threw was overthrown. He was lucky that Fasano came down in bounds on his hip, or we lose by 17 instead of 10.

7. Alex Smith is looking more Cassel-like week by week. The difference between the two QBs is, Smith can run out of trouble, and Smith doesn't fumble or throw picks. Otherwise, they're basically the same guy. Smith's alleged accuracy is not evident. He tends to overthrow, which means he's having to get rid of the ball fast, and is not stepping into the throw. Very seldom does he have a clean pocket with no pressure, and when he does, his receivers can't separate. Bottom line is, KC lacks skill position players that can be game changers. When Dexter McMidget is your leading receiver, that's a problem. "

These 3 are connected at the hip. In the 1st half, Alex' throws were right on the money. Had Avery and Bowe made some more catches, I believe the entire Bronco defense backs up and it snowballs into more carries for JC and more time for Alex.

Bottom line - we don't have 1 of the receivers that Denver has. I'm more impressed with them than Manning.

otherstar
11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Spot on analysis as always! I love reading your posts after every game!

MOhillbilly
11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I though the interior line played well and Poe in particular had moments where he shined like no other chiefs tackle I've ever seen.

Rain Man
11-18-2013, 12:35 PM
It seemed to me that Denver's defense sold out early to stop Jamaal and the run. Alex had time in the pocket and our receivers were getting open and he was hitting them. Then in the second half, either as an adjustment or because they had the lead, Denver softened up on the run and started playing the pass more, and that's when our receivers weren't getting open. It seems like we need to make the opposite adjustment and start running in the second half.

Frosty
11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
It seemed to me that Denver's defense sold out early to stop Jamaal and the run. Alex had time in the pocket and our receivers were getting open and he was hitting them. Then in the second half, either as an adjustment or because they had the lead, Denver softened up on the run and started playing the pass more, and that's when our receivers weren't getting open. It seems like we need to make the opposite adjustment and start running in the second half.

There were too many sideways runs. Charles was picking up good yards when he was running between the tackles and they needed to do more of that.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Having ten yard holding penalties on first down didn't help either. They should have run Charles more in the second half. He seems to pick up most of his yards in the second half when defenses get tired.

On the pass rush, we didn't blitz much at all. I guess they figured it was better to play tough man to man and keep guys back in coverage than risk getting burned. Cooper was the only guy who got burned bad, and that was on a third and five play. He got suckered on a fake to the running back and Thomas got a couple steps on him. That's gonna happen.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm tired of seeing DMAC dancing. He doesn't have the moves.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Dexter-McCluster-89-Yard-Punt-Return-Touchdown/24d6f921-d957-4adc-b856-f8ffa17652ef

Buehler445
11-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Good read Gman. It's easy to get down about this game but I didn't expect to win this one. We need to win the one on arrowhead to do any good. We dump that one and it is pretty gloomy looking forward.

Otter
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Good read Gman. It's easy to get down about this game but I didn't expect to win this one. We need to win the one on arrowhead to do any good. We dump that one and it is pretty gloomy looking forward.

My thoughts as well.

Great read as always George! Thanks bud.

BlackHelicopters
11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Look forward to this every week. Thanks George.

Bwana
11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Good stuff George. That read was better than the game. :)

bricks
11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
George,

I like Alex Smith. Even though I do think he somewhat contributes to our problems on offense, I don't think he is the main problem. I know he sometimes makes inaccurate throws that are either a tad too short or high but his inaccuracy is not near the level of Cassel. There are times though when Smith makes really good throws but our receivers just fail to execute.

He is better than Cassel in a lot of ways. At least he has better poise and awareness in the pocket. He can elude sacks every now and then and makes much better reads/decisions with the ball. He is just smarter, a better athlete and doesn't necessarily crack under pressure the same way Cassel does. Plus, he is a winner.

Everything else you said with respect to the offense was spot on. The Oline is a HUGE problem. The Oline needs to be upgraded for sure in the off-season. There are way too many times where these guys are losing the battle along the LOS. They consistently allow the pocket to collapse by not giving Alex Smith the time he needs to deliver the ball. Prior to the season starting, I, like many other fans wondered if the Oline is simply a product of bad players or inexperience? After all, these are young players that need time to develop and learn a new system. Right? The thing that concerns me though, is, I have yet to see progress in any of our Olineman as the season has gone on. If they are still playing this bad late into the season, then colour me convinced that our Oline is nothing but a product of bad players.

You couldn’t have said it any better with respect to the receivers. You're absolutely right in that these guys are just bad at getting separation. The route running isn't that great either and of course there is a lack of execution (ala dropped passes) it gets frustrating seeing this stuff over and over again. I think upgrading the wide receiving corps should also be a priority in the off-season. Now, Im not asking for a #1 WR, I just hope they could bring in receivers that could fundamentally do things well and of course fit into the west coast offense system.

I know a lot of fans want a QB, but Im sticking with a realistic approach and not hoping for a QB at all. I know Smith will be here for a bit, and as a Chiefs fan, all I ask for is improvement from this offensive unit as a whole. Let’s get some new Olineman and receivers in here for next year to at least give us a shot at contending. I hope you don’t get the impression that I am implying this season as a write off, I am just being realistic in that I don’t like our chances with this offense.

*Finally, how good would Smith be if the entire offensive unit improved as a whole? That is a question I pose to you and everyone else. I've always wondered about this.

TEX
11-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Let's just take this loss into context. Beating a division rival in their house is not an easy task. When that division rival is one of the best teams in the game, it becomes damn near an impossible feat. Expecting a sweep of the Broncos this year is just about as unrealistic as it gets.

Of course, we lost and we looked exceedingly bad on the offensive side of the ball, which gives us cause for concern, but we played a decent game against them on the whole. Clean up a few mistakes, bring this one to Arrowhead and we have a good shot to beat them in a 23-20 game.

(The "cleaning up a few mistakes" comment may just be asking too much though. After 10 weeks of watching our offense look like a ****ing orangutan humping a door knob, that may just be who they are.)

:LOL: Door knobs are nasty, hope we use protection.

mr. tegu
11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
I really can't understand why they struggle so much in the red zone. Do we not have some more imaginative plays to get guys open? Three runs up the middle on 1st and goal? Ugh.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
George,

Answers in Bold below:

I like Alex Smith. Even though I do think he somewhat contributes to our problems on offense, I don't think he is the main problem. I know he sometimes makes inaccurate throws that are either a tad too short or high but his inaccuracy is not near the level of Cassel. There are times though when Smith makes really good throws but our receivers just fail to execute.

The thing about this is, Smith was highly regarded for his "accuracy." In SF he had Vernon Davis and better wideouts than he has here. Receivers tend to have a great deal of influence on how the QB "looks."

He is better than Cassel in a lot of ways. At least he has better poise and awareness in the pocket. He can elude sacks every now and then and makes much better reads/decisions with the ball. He is just smarter, a better athlete and doesn't necessarily crack under pressure the same way Cassel does. Plus, he is a winner.

Smith has been a winner in the regular season. So was Marty. What did that get us? Casshole was the undisputed turnover king before his sickening and disgusting concussion last year. I used to call Casshole "The Duke of Dink" because of his penchant to throw an eight yard pass on third and ten. Smith is not much better in that regard. His yards per completion have been miserable this year. He does not fumble or throw picks. Otherwise, he IS Matt Casshole.

Everything else you said with respect to the offense was spot on. The Oline is a HUGE problem. The Oline needs to be upgraded for sure in the off-season. There are way too many times where these guys are losing the battle along the LOS. They consistently allow the pocket to collapse by not giving Alex Smith the time he needs to deliver the ball. Prior to the season starting, I, like many other fans wondered if the Oline is simply a product of bad players or inexperience? After all, these are young players that need time to develop and learn a new system. Right? The thing that concerns me though, is, I have yet to see progress in any of our Olineman as the season has gone on. If they are still playing this bad late into the season, then colour me convinced that our Oline is nothing but a product of bad players.

It's year one. Dorsey can't fix it all in one draft.

You couldn’t have said it any better with respect to the receivers. You're absolutely right in that these guys are just bad at getting separation. The route running isn't that great either and of course there is a lack of execution (ala dropped passes) it gets frustrating seeing this stuff over and over again. I think upgrading the wide receiving corps should also be a priority in the off-season. Now, Im not asking for a #1 WR, I just hope they could bring in receivers that could fundamentally do things well and of course fit into the west coast offense system.

I'd like to see them give some PT to some of the guys they've brought in this year like Hemmingway and Jenkins. See what we've got.

I know a lot of fans want a QB, but Im sticking with a realistic approach and not hoping for a QB at all. I know Smith will be here for a bit, and as a Chiefs fan, all I ask for is improvement from this offensive unit as a whole. Let’s get some new Olineman and receivers in here for next year to at least give us a shot at contending. I hope you don’t get the impression that I am implying this season as a write off, I am just being realistic in that I don’t like our chances with this offense.

Stephenson and Fisher are both young players and will improve. We'll lose Albert as a UFA next year, and he's injury prone anyway. I'm more concerned with the guards and center, who are also all relatively high picks. But I believe Dorsey has an eye for talent. He just needs some time.

*Finally, how good would Smith be if the entire offensive unit improved as a whole? That is a question I pose to you and everyone else. I've always wondered about this.

If ands and buts were candy and nuts.....
Would you rather be 1-10 like last year?
Be patient. These front office guys know what they're doing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-18-2013, 01:12 PM
George knows.

gold_and_red
11-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Everybody can see that the interior OL is a liability. Why has there been no change? Do the front office/coaches truly believe they are putting the best players out there?

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Everybody can see that the interior OL is a liability. Why has there been no change? Do the front office/coaches truly believe they are putting the best players out there?

Albert (1st round) and Charles #3 pick is what we got for Jared Allen.
Asamoah is a #3 pick.
Hudson is a #2 pick.
Allen is a #2 pick.
Fisher first pick in the whole damn draft.

That's giving a LOT of draft attention to the O-Line. If they can't play, then that's on scouting.

ThaVirus
11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I really can't understand why they struggle so much in the red zone. Do we not have some more imaginative plays to get guys open? Three runs up the middle on 1st and goal? Ugh.

There were some complaints about that series of calls in the game thread last night.

Honestly, I liked three straight runs in that situation. We were trying to make a comeback and reestablish some dominance in the process. With a 1st and goal from the 2 yard line, you should be able to score with three straight runs.

My biggest issue with that series was that we didn't go for it on 4th down. In my mind, that was absolutely four down territory.

InChiefsHeaven
11-18-2013, 01:31 PM
The box score I found interesting...

Chiefs Broncos
73 Total Plays 76 Pretty even
344 Total Yards 427 Not a huge difference
9-53 Penalties 13-82 Shocking. Donks flagged more than Chiefs
1 Turnovers 1 God dammit
4-13 Third Down Eff. 6-16 Defense played remarkably well
0-1 4th Down Eff 0-0

Chiefs 22/45 200yds, 2TD
Donks 24/40 323yds, 1TD That blew my mind. Threw it more than Denver...

Anyway, by the numbers it was a much closer game. The problem was their offense did a lot more with their opportunities than did the Chiefs. Also, Alex was hot and cold, but there's no denying he can make the deep ball throw, just in time for a receiver to drop it. That's frustrating as hell. They just can't get their shit together. The offense is really a one trick pony called Jamal Charles, and he can't do it all every week.

Heading for another playoff disaster. BUT...I do feel like this team is in good hands. This is way better than last year, hands down and will only get better.

bricks
11-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I am content with the improvement.

Love the fact that we are 9-1.

I just fear this season will be another choke. Like you and many others, we've seen it before 13-3, first round playoff loss.

It's still better than 1-10 obviously but you know as fans we've all been down this road before and of course we always want the big picture to be satisfied. That's just how it is. I'll gladly admit it.

I hope you're right about Dorsey and co. Lets see what there judgement is like down the road from now.

Mosbonian
11-18-2013, 01:43 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Dexter-McCluster-89-Yard-Punt-Return-Touchdown/24d6f921-d957-4adc-b856-f8ffa17652ef

I hope you put that link on as a joke.....that is his one time a year lucky play. And the fact that he had gaping holes to run thru (on the pathetic Giants ST) saved him from being embarrassed on the spin move at the first.

Face it...DMAC is not the guy you want as a return man.

Buehler445
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm surprised it didn't make the list, but I was ecstatic about Flowers' flat out nasty attitude towards dealing with Welker.

That's awesome. Welker doesn't like to take hits, so hit him, even if the play is away from him, jack him up. The damn game is too soft on the WRs anyway, so rough him up. Make him know you're there. Welker has started sliding like a pussy on some plays anyway. I love that strategy. And for the most part, Welker didn't really burn us too bad. He had one where he punked flowers and one where they ran a really nice pick play (for once not an illegal one) for a first, but Welker was quiet for the most part. 8 for 72 no TDs isn't bad.

I like that these guys are nasty. Especially in the age where they all try to be friends. I'm not really in favor of dirty or trying to hurt people, but that doesn't mean we have to make it comfortable.

It was kind of surprising to see Flowers jacking him up away from the play like that since not many players do that anymore, but I like it. Get in that little honkey's head.

Pablo
11-18-2013, 01:50 PM
This.

And you can blame our goalline fuck up on our interior offensive line. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with these assholes but they better figure it out.If they haven't figured it out by now, I'm not holding out much hope that they will this season.

bricks
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I think Smiths yard per completion are low mainly because of the system itself.

Remember, this a west coast style of offense that revolves around a short passing game. Because he is so accustomed and dependent on throwing short, his yards per completion suffers. That is my guess.

But that is fine. The yards per completion stuff doesn't really bother me. All I care about is execution really. If he is going to throw short, I want our receivers to execute. In the end, that is all that matters anyway.

Pablo
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I hope you put that link on as a joke.....that is his one time a year lucky play. And the fact that he had gaping holes to run thru (on the pathetic Giants ST) saved him from being embarrassed on the spin move at the first.

Face it...DMAC is not the guy you want as a return man.Running into a crowd and spinning just doesn't get it done.

Sorter
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm surprised it didn't make the list, but I was ecstatic about Flowers' flat out nasty attitude towards dealing with Welker.

That's awesome. Welker doesn't like to take hits, so hit him, even if the play is away from him, jack him up. The damn game is too soft on the WRs anyway, so rough him up. Make him know you're there. Welker has started sliding like a pussy on some plays anyway. I love that strategy. And for the most part, Welker didn't really burn us too bad. He had one where he punked flowers and one where they ran a really nice pick play (for once not an illegal one) for a first, but Welker was quiet for the most part. 8 for 72 no TDs isn't bad.

I like that these guys are nasty. Especially in the age where they all try to be friends. I'm not really in favor of dirty or trying to hurt people, but that doesn't mean we have to make it comfortable.

It was kind of surprising to see Flowers jacking him up away from the play like that since not many players do that anymore, but I like it. Get in that little honkey's head.

What Flowers did to Welker is what KC should have done to Manning /Gregg Williams

Pablo
11-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Remember, this a west coast style of offense that revolves around a short passing game. Because he is so accustomed and dependent on throwing short, his yards per completion suffers. That is my guess.

But that is fine. The yards per completion stuff doesn't really bother me. All I care about is execution really. If he is going to throw short, I want our receivers to execute. In the end, that is all that matters anyway.And this system is fucking awful so far. When you're throwing passes behind the LOS with 3 minutes left and a huge deficit; then you're just going through the motions out there.

Alex actually took some pretty good shots down field in this game. That back shoulder throw to Avery in the first was his best throw yet as a Chief. But overall; his lack of accuracy, our WR's inability to catch or separate, a porous OL, and a neutered offensive scheme won't beat the Broncos, Saints, or the Patriots.

bricks
11-18-2013, 01:57 PM

This.

I loved the nastiness Flowers brought in yesterdays game.

Defense is all about attitude. Being nasty and getting in guys faces is part of the overall character of defense. Thats what I like to see, but in this day and age, especially last night I thought there just isn't enough of it going on anymore.

Rain Man
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Does anyone else wonder sometimes if there were really only eight things about the game, and we're getting fed some filler? Or that there were twelve and we're getting shortchanged?

Sorter
11-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Does anyone else wonder sometimes if there were really only eight things about the game, and we're getting fed some filler? Or that there were twelve and we're getting shortchanged?

Conspiracy Keanu does.

scho63
11-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Ten Things About Last Night's Game
(Greetings from the Cube Farm) Everybody look busy, it's a work day....

10. You didn't expect them to go undefeated, did you? 40 mph wind gusts kept blowing the neighbor's leaves into my yard, and blew my Chiefs flag right off the flagpole. That was not a good sign. Neither was Peeholi showing up on the NBC pre-game show. Asking Peeholi for insight into the 2013 Chiefs is like asking Ike Turner how to stop domestic violence.
ROFL
I had this game as a likely loss with a little hope for a miracle. when I saw Peeholi's mug on TV, I knew we were jinxed.

9. Nothing like coming out and playing with your nut sack in your throat. Brandon Albert, who is allegedly our most gifted and experienced lineman, jumps offside on the very first play. Mister first pick Fisher remains a maddening enigma. If there is a silver lining, it seems as if when they brought in Schwartz and Stephenson in the fourth quarter
After the bye week, I had a feeling they would have a lot of nervous energy and pent up aggression but I didn't expect the first play and drive to be such a clusterf***! Our O-line seems to have peaked in week 1 and the injuries to Fisher and Asamoah brought in the backups, who played better IMHO.

8. Receivers-Avery drops-Charles drops-Bowe targeted fourteen caught four. Our receivers are poor at getting separation.
DROPS, DROPS, DROPS, AND MORE DROPS!!!
I keep repeating this is in all the other threads but our receivers look like they are running in quicksand. Bowe was so sloooooww across the middle and Cromartie was in his pocket the whole game. Alex Smith needs to start showing some anger at these guys for these drops-they are KILLING us. I wish we just had AJ Jenkins run a post or something.

7. Alex Smith is looking more Cassel-like week by week.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. While he is no Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers or any of the other elite QBs, he is a ton better than Cassel. People keep picking on Smith's arm strength but I don't see it. His accuracy has slipped but he is also having piss poor protection. If he had the protection that Manning had last night, he would have had a much better game and he can't make the catches for our stupid receivers. They are killing his stats.

6. Smith took a couple of sacks that were unnecessary. Usually he's good at unloading the ball and avoiding sacks, but he ate a couple that were on him.
He had 4 or more seconds on a two of those sacks-he can't expect an unlimited time limit to unload a pass. The one that took us out of FG range was a killer.

5. Peyton Manning is basically the 2013 version of John Elway. If you settle for field goals against Elway, you will lose. Why not kick off to Denver to start the game? Why are you punting when down two scores in the fourth quarter with the clock under ten minutes? Why are you only giving Charles 16 carries when he clearly isn't getting it done in the passing game? The challenge on Fasano's TD was a good decision. Reid seems to be wise in his challenge choices.
:thumb:

I think Reid didn't want Manning to come out and immediately score on the first drive and have the crowd dominate the game with the Chiefs on their heels.
Not only did we punt, we punted in pretty good field position and Colquitt SUCKED last night. I think it netted 28 yards.
Charles seemed lost last night-not sure why.
Reid has only lost one challenge I think-he is excellent with it.

4. Hali and Poe were owned. But zero sacks will not get it done against an elite QB. More worrisome, KC now has had only one sack in their last three games.
Sutton needs to change things up. Denver formed a very tight pocket on their pass plays and with Manning getting rid of the ball in 2-2.5 seconds, we had little chance. We didn't hit Manning ONCE, which is stunning to me.

3. The fumble trade off was unfortunate. Cooper played pretty well after that, until he allowed Decker to get a big first down by the nose hair of the football -icing the game in the fourth quarter.
That fumble was like a stab in the heart of the defense and it seemed to give them energy and deflate us-then Manning hits the pass to Thomas over Cooper and it's off to the races.
I still don't think Decker got the first down and that is a STUPID rule when you are 2 feet out of bounds and THEN you stick the ball out. I call bullshit on the refs there. Bad call IMHO.

2. Bottom line is, Denver was just better on this night, and deserved to win. Road game to New England staring them in the face. Let's hope the Hoodie beats them, and beats them up before the rematch in Arrowhead.
They sure did outplay us in all facets of the game yet we still had so many chances, especially at the start of the 3rd QTR when we got three 3 and outs against Manning but our offense shit the bed as usual!
I'm going to be rooting for Tom Brady and sending Giselle Bundchen some money to make sure Tom is well taken cafe of!

1. One year ago, The Chiefs were 1-10 after losing at home to the Bengals 28-6. Quinn was our QB, Moeaki was our leading receiver. That was the infamous "Blackout" game. A year later, the team is 9-1, tied for first in the AFC West, battling for the division and home field advantage in the playoffs.
:rockon:
I'm going to enjoy this as much as possible and realize our limitations on offense so I don't expect too much. If we achieve ANYTHING in the playoffs, I will consider it a success. I would love to get to the Super Bowl but when I look at playing New England in their place or Denver in Mile High, I realize our limitations. I'm not afraid of the Bengals or Colts.....

Game pictures from the Star are here:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/17/4629744/chiefs-vs-broncos-at-mile-high.html

When I first logged onto CP this morning and didn't see your Ten Things, I got nervous and upset. Don't tease me like that as it's the only reason I can stomach a loss!

Another fine write up with a nice variety of valid points Gblowfish! :thumb:

Easy 6
11-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Nailed it once again gb, Smith had a few muffs but overall i put this on the O line and receivers, both units suck serious ass.

Maybe Andy Heck should start coaching in Canada or something, the guy sucks and i've never liked him.

rabblerouser
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
And this system is ****ing awful so far. When you're throwing passes behind the LOS with 3 minutes left and a huge deficit; then you're just going through the motions out there.

Alex actually took some pretty good shots down field in this game. That back shoulder throw to Avery in the first was his best throw yet as a Chief. But overall; his lack of accuracy, our WR's inability to catch or separate, a porous OL, and a neutered offensive scheme won't beat the Broncos, Saints, or the Patriots.

exactly what I said in the 'bandwagon' thread...but I really think it's Reid and Pederson who need to nut up and start slinging the ball.

this bs about using the pass as an 'extended handoff' and controlling the field w/short passes is fine against the Oaklands, Houstons, J-villes, Buffalos and Clevelands of the world.

Not against the Pats, Saints, Broncos, etc.

gotta nut up and strike deep.

Rain Man
11-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Conspiracy Keanu does.

What is the 11th thing, Gblowfish? WHAT IS THE 11TH THING?

Sorter
11-18-2013, 02:08 PM

ROFL

bricks
11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
And this system is ****ing awful so far. When you're throwing passes behind the LOS with 3 minutes left and a huge deficit; then you're just going through the motions out there.

You've just pretty much summed up our offense and the reason we won't succeed in a nutshell.

Im not a big fan of this system either. It is what it is and it will be here for a while. It's tough to accept but we have no other choice. Im trying to be optimistic by being hopeful.

I hope we get some more skilled players/playmakers on offense because it is clear, like george said, we don't have enough of those. if we could do that, everything else will take care of itself.

InChiefsHeaven
11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Was anyone else surprised by the amount of laundry thrown against the Donks? I was pleasantly surprised. The Refs seemed to call a pretty good game, I didn't see anything that was total BS. They did miss a hold against Hali, the commentators even mentioned it, but they always miss those.

They got flagged at least 3 times for holding on the receivers, which tells me that they were being seriously physically aggressive. Perhaps another reason why we looked so slow, because they were jamming and hitting our receivers who could not overcome that.

Their Defense was a lot better than anticipated. Looks like the Donks are coming on at the right time for them in all phases. We'll see what happens down the road, but the way they pretty much handled the Chiefs all night...doesn't bode well for KC.

Groves
11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Here's an idea for fan confidence, in addition to the the obvious ones like "catch balls", and "score points":

Don't muff the opening kickoff. In some aborigine cultures, that decides the entire game.

ThaVirus
11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I felt the no-calls on the Hali holds, Demaryius Thomas push off for the big gain, defensive hold on Bowe in a crucial 3rd down situation were total bullshit, as was the DPI called on Flowers in the endzone.

We got one back on Bowe's push off for our first TD.

I won't bitch about officiating in a game where we did everything to beat ourselves.

Sandy Vagina
11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Briefly grinded teeth over the Cassel part, but as always, agreed and enjoyed most of it. :thumb:

Straight, No Chaser
11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Nailed it once again gb, Smith had a few muffs but overall i put this on the O line and receivers, both units suck serious ass.

Maybe Andy Heck should start coaching in Canada or something, the guy sucks and i've never liked him.

After Smiffy looks at the tape, he may realize taking those sacks and not throwing to Jamal when he was matched up against Travathian is not good QB play against anyone

Easy 6
11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
After Smiffy looks at the tape, he may realize taking those sacks and not throwing to Jamal when he was matched up against Travathian is not good QB play against anyone

Like i said, he had some flubs, but there were more dropped passes than he had flubs.

Overall, this was his best game imo, he was looking deep and taking chances more than ever.

DJ's left nut
11-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Andy did try to pound it. Three effin times in a row. The 3rd down run was the worse call of the night.

I thought the calls were fine.

2nd and 3rd down took great individual efforts by relatively unheralded players for the Broncos to stop us.

Both Sherman and Charles were secondary surges away from getting into the endzone but Sherman got turned sideways and lost momentum and on the 3rd down play that LBer just came firing into the perfect spot at the perfect time. 9 times out of 10, Charles makes that little spin and backs into the end zone.

Sometimes you tip your cap to the other guys.

Unfortunately that was the takeaway last night - the Broncos simply won the one on one battles almost across the board. Hali was getting single-teamed and getting stonewalled. Houston managed to beat Franklin a single time, also while generally being single-teamed.

For both of those guys to get flat out neutralized by the respective tackles with neither of them getting much help is pretty embarrassing.

When Berry needed to stay on Thomas inside the 10, he gave him a free release and then lost the inside position - again, lost the individual matchup.

The usual suspects will bitch about Smith, but he played well yesterday. He wasn't great, but he was by no means the reason we lost that game.

When the Broncos had chances to make a play, they usually made them. When the Chiefs did, they largely failed.

We simply got beat at the individual level yesterday. It's disappointing, but I also didn't see a systemic ass-beating either. We can take these guys at Arrowhead. Especially if Hali and Houston are as ashamed by the game tape as they should be and come out ready to play.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 03:12 PM

Perhaps I will reveal it on Friday...on the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Assassination..... it could be LBJ is involved....

ChiefsCountry
11-18-2013, 03:39 PM

But that is fine. The yards per completion stuff doesn't really bother me. All I care about is execution really. If he is going to throw short, I want our receivers to execute. In the end, that is all that matters anyway.

Andy Reid time in Philadelphia = 7 yards per attempt.
Alex Smith this year = 6 yards per attempt.

Clearly its offense system.

Coach
11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Good read GB. I kept saying to myself last night "Wasted/Missed opportunities." For instance, the fumble by Sherman net KC 0 points, which was the worst case scenario. Best case scenario would have been a TD + XP, so I went with the FG, given how shitty the offense is. So that's 3 points.

Another one was the god-awful 1st and goal on the 3 yard line, and only got a FG out of it. Score a TD there, that's an extra 4 points.

3+4 = 7 point difference.

KC scored 17. Had they scored that FG and the TD, it would have been 27-24 Denver....

Easy 6
11-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I hate to say it, but Bowe just doesn't look the same anymore, he doesn't seem to fight for the ball like he used and while he's always had his share of drops, it seems like that's risen to a new level.

He simply has to be moved to #2 next year, it feels like heresy to say... but he isn't playing like a #1.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
I hate to say it, but Bowe just doesn't look the same anymore, he doesn't seem to fight for the ball like he used and while he's always had his share of drops, it seems like that's risen to a new level.

He simply has to be moved to #2 next year, it feels like heresy to say... but he isn't playing like a #1.

Being number one has harshed his mellow, man....

Easy 6
11-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Being number one has harshed his mellow, man....

The next thing you know, he'll be hanging out with Lenny Kravitz in some beach bungalow in Tahiti.

WakkaWakka
11-18-2013, 04:00 PM

I was gonna catch the ball....but then I got high.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2013, 04:11 PM

got paid....

Mr. Flopnuts
11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Bowe has dropped significantly, and the fact it's happening when he's having far superior balls thrown to him, it's pretty mind bottling. I hope he's not just fucking lazy now...

durtyrute
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I think at some point in time he decided to stop throwing his body on the line like he used to do. That's why he was good, he would jump up and put everything on the line for the team. After years of doing that for the Croyles, Quinns, Palkos, and Cassels of the world, it seems as if he said, "FUNK DAT"

That and he got paid

DJ's left nut
11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Might be some truth to that.

Watching DRC just clown the guy last night was painful. There was zero chance at all of Bowe keeping any separation. It was almost like DRC was just baiting Smith into the throw and then closing right up to knock it away.

I've seen less productive days from Bowe, but I've never seen him look that outclassed before. He was targeted heavily but Rodgers-Cromartie simply kicked his ass and took his lunch money any time the ball was thrown that way.

Prior to this season I was a little more laudatory of Bowe than most. For this season I think I've been a little more critical of him than many (especially the folks that blame Smith for everything) but last night was the first night that I just thought 'wow - this cat can't hardly play anymore'.

He looks like he should be playing TE out there. Maybe he could excel against someone like Flowers; a smaller, slower, more physical corner. But a guy like Smith would shut him down, IMO. Hell, I think Cooper could as well.

Anybody with some length and closing speed can just sit in Bowe's pocket all day.

Pablo
11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
It's not a matter of being lazy or you wouldn't see him blocking so hard down field. Lazy WR's definitely don't block.

He does look a bit slower and less physical than in past years.

That being said, he's still far and away our best WR option.

Coach
11-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Bowe has dropped significantly, and the fact it's happening when he's having far superior balls thrown to him, it's pretty mind bottling. I hope he's not just fucking lazy now...

Well, he did get paid....

ChiefsCountry
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Bowe is at his best on sideline catches where he uses his body to defend off defenders to make the catch. Its also Alex Smith's worst pass.

rabblerouser
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM

He's got some of that short-term memory loss going on too...

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Bowe is at his best on sideline catches where he uses his body to defend off defenders to make the catch. Its also Alex Smith's worst pass.

Pass the rockie from the left hand side....

bricks
11-18-2013, 04:50 PM

I've never considered Bowe to be a legit #1 WR in this league.

I think he is definately capable of being a #2 WR. He is just too inconsistent. As much as he has the ability to make plays, he just as equally can make mistakes.

I consider him a contributor to our lack of execution problems on offense. No doubt.

bricks
11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
You know what this offense needs?

A modern day version of Chris Carter. Are there any of those around?

lol I know that may sound silly but hey I figured since this is an offense that revolves around a short passing game, we may as well try to find a stud possession receiver?

I'll gladly prioritze all the intangibles that make a great possession receiver over speed anyday.

Gimme a receiver with great physicality. One that can separate, is a crisp route runner and has a great set of hands. Who cares about speed in this offense. I mean really. Do yards after the catch matter if you can't execute? It's not as important as the other factors.

I think Avery is pretty much useless at this point since he can't do everything else well aside from his speed.

FloridaMan88
11-18-2013, 05:11 PM

Offensive line, WR's and playcalling.

Looking back now, it seems like a missed opportunity when Reid decided not to bring Marty Mornhinweg to KC as OC.

The combination of Doug Pederson's apprenticeship as OC, Andy Reid's mediocre playcalling, and Brad Childress' Dick Curl-esque role is not getting it done.

lcarus
11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
It's not a matter of being lazy or you wouldn't see him blocking so hard down field. Lazy WR's definitely don't block.

That being said, he's still far and away our best WR option.

Yeah we need to upgrade our WRs pretty badly...

rabblerouser
11-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Getting better at WR and o-line has got to be a top priority for the offseason...

Hammock Parties
11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
he's having far superior balls thrown to him

Bullshit.

Alex Smith sucks.

Pablo
11-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah we need to upgrade our WRs pretty badly...What, like go get a AJ Green/Julio Jones type in the draft?

Do you honestly think Alex is going to make use of that sort of player anyhow?

DJ's left nut
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Bullshit.

Alex Smith sucks.

According the the holy grail of all things football (PFF), Smith was not only better than Manning yesterday, but substantially better.

Hammock Parties
11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
According the the holy grail of all things football (PFF), Smith was not only better than Manning yesterday, but substantially better.

That keeps me warm at night.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 07:04 PM

That should be definitive proof of the value of that resource.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 07:05 PM

They tried, they just drafted the wrong guys like Baldwin and Wylie.

OnTheWarpath15
11-18-2013, 07:12 PM

http://www.abload.de/img/11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

scho63
11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

:LOL:

Saccopoo
11-18-2013, 07:37 PM
What, like go get a AJ Green/Julio Jones type in the draft?

Actually, the Chris Carter comment was spot on.

This offense needs a tough receiver that runs very precise routes and can separate off the line. We currently have no one who can do that. No one.

Bowe is toast. At least this season. Maybe he puts work in this next off season, but he's horrible in his route running and can't separate for shit. I don't want to hear one single word about "He's a good blocker." That's bullshit for a guy getting paid the way he is. A good blocker with questionable hands? That's a fucking fullback and they are a shit ton cheaper than what Bowe is getting right now.

Avery? He's a drive and game killer at this point with his drops. That one drop, which came off as perfect a throw as you will ever see in this league, was absolutely huge.

And our two starting guards are getting absolutely destroyed every single game. Asamoah hasn't progressed since his rookie year and Allen is in the wrong scheme at the wrong position.

displacedinMN
11-18-2013, 07:40 PM
yep, we lost.

Had a few ask today if I was taking it hard. (insert joke here)

But, truthfully, I have been accustomed to watching the Chiefs lose. So, this was not that bad. But winning is better.

Great column as always

lewdog
11-18-2013, 07:44 PM
One thing about Bowe is the fact that the really shitty QBs we've had always forced the ball to him as they were very poor at going through their reads.

While Alex isn't setting the world on fire, he does demonstrate the ability to go through a few more reads and because he really never forces the ball, Bowe's target numbers are down quite a bit.

Bowe is on pace to be right around 110 targets this season, which would be his lowest total in any full season of his career. In his best 3 years in KC his lowest target total was 133, then up to 142 and 157 targets in the other seasons.

lcarus
11-18-2013, 07:51 PM
What, like go get a AJ Green/Julio Jones type in the draft?

He could make use of a better WR corps, yes. He could really use an elite TE. I realize these things aren't always easy to come by. It would be nice though. All we need is a Peyton Manning-like QB, a Julio Jones/Megatron WR duo, a Jimmy Graham type of TE, the 2003 Chiefs offensive line, and we're in pretty good shape. :thumb:

crispystl
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM

I thought on 3rd down we should have run the PA naked bootleg. Alex probably would have walked into the endzone. I'd like to see us use the shovel pass with Charles too.

crispystl
11-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Perhaps I will reveal it on Friday...on the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Assassination..... it could be LBJ is involved....

Fuck I KNEW IT!!!!

crispystl
11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Getting better at WR and o-line has got to be a top priority for the offseason...

WR number one and Oline should be 3 and 4. We also need another RB. I mean if the staff thinks Kniles Davis is it then Fucking use him! If not draft or sign a bruiser to spell Charles.

Psyko Tek
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM

one sack in 3 games, yep what happened to the H outside combo?
and i think poe got the last sack

Psyko Tek
11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
-We have a QB that limits this offense and what it can/can't do.

-We have WR's who can't catch the ball, and can't get separation from defenders.

-We have an Oline that can't run or pass block for shit.

Makes it pretty hard to produce anything on offense when have these 3 major problems at hand. The really great teams can maybe get by covering up 1 of those issues. You absolutely will not succeed in the NFL if you're terrible at all 3.

I think the o line is our problem

give uncle rico enough time he will throw it over the mountain
drops second
and qb last

but that is an opinion

Psyko Tek
11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
We left at least 18 points on the field last night :banghead:

oh we lost that game on way other to say it

not sure denver beat us
i think the KC offense shit the bed
and then rolled over for a nap
and they had better fucking know it
the play calling was shit
the o line was shit
the drops shit
the throws well ...
YUP shit also

might as well let bray or daniels in to fail but we night break them , learning to play matador instead of QB
I want the play calling changed I do not like it

Psyko Tek
11-18-2013, 09:16 PM

(The "cleaning up a few mistakes" comment may just be asking too much though. After 10 weeks of watching our offense look like a fucking orangutan humping a door knob, that may just be who they are.)

fucking true fan
we win or it was a failure
23-20 in arrowwood un ac cept ab le

we need an ass kicking
need to see DT's single game record broke twice in the same night

AND a called safety

and I want an ice cream cone with titty sprinkles

kcpasco
11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
The play calling is fine its the lack of execution that sucks. For years everyone cried about the run run pass punt. Now we have receivers dropping the ball all over the place.

gblowfish
11-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Latest evidence, the Donks were CHEATING!!!

http://tinyurl.com/lwe5um8

ThaVirus
11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
****ing true fan
we win or it was a failure
23-20 in arrowwood un ac cept ab le

we need an ass kicking
need to see DT's single game record broke twice in the same night

AND a called safety

and I want an ice cream cone with titty sprinkles

LMAO You're off your rocker, old man.

I'm not a true fan at all.

Pablo
11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
One thing about Bowe is the fact that the really shitty QBs we've had always forced the ball to him as they were very poor at going through their reads.

While Alex isn't setting the world on fire, he does demonstrate the ability to go through a few more reads and because he really never forces the ball, Bowe's target numbers are down quite a bit.

Bowe is on pace to be right around 110 targets this season, which would be his lowest total in any full season of his career. In his best 3 years in KC his lowest target total was 133, then up to 142 and 157 targets in the other seasons.He does?

Rausch
11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
He does?

Alex fucking stared down the primary target on a number of plays that were swatted down.

Alex was never all that great and the $#it-monsters we have blocking for him have made him even worse and less accurate.

On top of that we have wide open WR's dropping passes.

All adds up to a $3it offense...

lewdog
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
He does?

How quickly people forget when Cassel was running this offense.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
How quickly people forget when Cassel was running this offense.

I'm slowly being reminded?

Easy 6
11-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Alex was never all that great and the $#it-monsters we have blocking for him have made him even worse and less accurate.

You will literally never see me describe Axl as great, but with a good line in the right scheme he's a 70% passer, and that cannot be denied.

70%, that's the new benchmark for greatness, 60% is the baseline... so did the guy just hit a two year run of luck in frisco, or did he have a line that helped enable it?

No, he isn't great... but if you give the mfer some TIME back there, he'll knock out 70%.

That works for me, he isn't Brady or Brees and damn few are... he, and most other guys, need a supporting cast to hit that mark, but he can hit it.

lewdog
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm slowly being reminded?

Well yes, very similar, although he doesn't force the ball, which I why is think Bowe's target numbers are down quite a bit.

TinyEvel
11-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Holding Hali meme..

https://twitter.com/Yelix/status/402635466089836544/photo/1

MahiMike
11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
There were some complaints about that series of calls in the game thread last night.

Honestly, I liked three straight runs in that situation. We were trying to make a comeback and reestablish some dominance in the process. With a 1st and goal from the 2 yard line, you should be able to score with three straight runs.

My biggest issue with that series was that we didn't go for it on 4th down. In my mind, that was absolutely four down territory.

Everything you just said here I feel the opposite.