PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV I can't break my DirecTV addiction...

Stewie
11-18-2013, 04:12 PM
... they won't let me.

I was prepared to drop DTV for local channels via antenna plus Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon.

I called and they capitulated hand over fist. They lowered my bill significantly and added movie channels.

I think Google Fiber has a play in this. When I said GF will be here soon things changed.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Know the feeling...

Been with DTV since 1998... Cant seem to shake them.

Especially as a out of market sports fan. They have my soul in a jar on their desk.

DaFace
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Know the feeling...

Especially as a out of market sports fan. They have my soul in a jar on their desk.

It's even tough for an in-market sports fan to cut the cord entirely. Hockey games aren't broadcast OTA here, and they black out local markets online. :cuss:

hometeam
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I do it to them extremely often, haven't payed for direct ticket in something like 7 years, constantly have free movie channels. etc

DTV is my bitch.

Or am I DTV's bitch because I keep paying for the service.

:X

Stewie
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I do it to them extremely often, haven't payed for direct ticket in something like 7 years, constantly have free movie channels. etc

DTV is my bitch.

Or am I DTV's bitch because I keep paying for the service.

:X

You're DTV's bitch as am I. It's a mutual fucking... and a cheap whore.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
You're DTV's bitch as am I. It's a mutual ****ing.

so is this our therapy thread?

Hi, my name is Reerun_KC I am a DTV Bitch.

Everyone : HI Reerun_KC........

Stewie
11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
so is this our therapy thread?

Hi, my name is Reerun_KC I am a DTV Bitch.

Everyone : HI Reerun_KC........

I'm their bitch, they're my bitch. Perfect bitch union.

Kidd Lex
11-18-2013, 04:23 PM
I pay 80 a month but still feel like that's too much.

Stewie
11-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I pay 80 a month but still feel like that's too much.

Are you in a contract? If not, call and complain.

Coach
11-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Cable free here. Not worth paying 80 damn dollars for a cable TV these days.

Fire Me Boy!
11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
http://aspleasedaspunch.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/tumblr_m9liq9rf6y1qg1cey.gif

Reerun_KC
11-18-2013, 04:35 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

Stewie
11-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Antenna? I can't stand local TV. I guess I could just tune out everything, but my cave hasn't been built.

Fire Me Boy!
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Are you in a contract? If not, call and complain.

Even if you are, they usually have some deals they can give you. I called a week ago just because it'd been a few months since the last time. The key is to say "cancel service" on the automation at the beginning. Get straight to retention, and treat them very nice. They're used to getting yelled at a lot, so a simple "how are you doing?" can go a long ways to developing a little rapport with the person answering the phone.

Coach
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Antenna? I can't stand local TV. I guess I could just tune out everything, but my cave hasn't been built.

Bunny ears. Local TV doesn't bother me too much. Other than MNF and Thursday night Football, I'll watch whatever football is shown on the local channels here.

If there's a game that I'd really want to see, then I'd just head over to Buffalo Wild Wings or Louie's to watch the game.

jaa1025
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm in the same boat but I don't even watch it that much. I waiting for google fiber as well. I don't even watch the movie channels that much but I can't cut them out. I'm paying way too much, but it's so much better than comcast than the local TV stations. I do like ATT though, but it's similar priced so why change.

Buck
11-18-2013, 04:45 PM
$20 one time charge for an Antenna gets me CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox (those cover a lot of live sports), PBS, and 2 other local channels (each has their own news but not much in the way of sports unless the Chargers are on MNF, then the game will be on one of them - KUSI, XETV).

$8 a month for Netflix provides an endless amount of streaming.

That is $116 for the year and my cable bill was $90 for just the cable portion. Thats about $865+ saved per year.

I will never own cable again.

The downside is that I miss all San Diego State Football and Basketball games except the one game they have on CBS this year (@ KU).

Mr. Laz
11-18-2013, 05:10 PM
... they won't let me.

I was prepared to drop DTV for local channels via antenna plus Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon.

I called and they capitulated hand over fist. They lowered my bill significantly and added movie channels.

I think Google Fiber has a play in this. When I said GF will be here soon things changed.
did you have to commit to a 2-year contract for those deals?

if you did then i bet those discounts don't last the entire contract.

They will screw you hard with price increases as soon as the discounts expire because they now have you locked in.

Stewie
11-18-2013, 05:13 PM
$20 one time charge for an Antenna gets me CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox (those cover a lot of live sports), PBS, and 2 other local channels (each has their own news but not much in the way of sports unless the Chargers are on MNF, then the game will be on one of them - KUSI, XETV).

$8 a month for Netflix provides an endless amount of streaming.

That is $116 for the year and my cable bill was $90 for just the cable portion. Thats about $865+ saved per year.

I will never own cable again.

The downside is that I miss all San Diego State Football and Basketball games except the one game they have on CBS this year (@ KU).

Local channels suck... no matter where you live. Weekend programming is infomercial whoring.

What do you get with Netflix? Been there, done that. Wasted money. How many times can you watch Ferris Bueller?

Stewie
11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
did you have to commit to a 2-year contract for those deals?

if you did then i bet those discounts don't last the entire contract.

They will screw you hard with price increases as soon as the discounts expire because they now have you locked in..

Nope. I'm using my existing hardware (long time DTV DVR subscriber). One year commitment that's really cheap.

Buck
11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Local channels suck... no matter where you live. Weekend programming is infomercial whoring.

What do you get with Netflix? Been there, done that. Wasted money. How many times can you watch Ferris Bueller?

Probably about a year+ ago I would agree with you on Netflix. But there is so much content on there you can get lost for days.

Amazon Prime Streaming is another option that I think is $80/year.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/netflix-amazon-face-off,news-17838.html

unlurking
11-18-2013, 06:07 PM
It's even tough for an in-market sports fan to cut the cord entirely. Hockey games aren't broadcast OTA here, and they black out local markets online. :cuss:
Center Ice streams can be viewed using VLC without authentication. No blackouts.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1njaoo/improved_vlc_script_shows_game_start_time_in_your/

DaFace
11-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Center Ice streams can be viewed using VLC without authentication. No blackouts.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1njaoo/improved_vlc_script_shows_game_start_time_in_your/

Yeah, I've heard that. I'm not a fan of using workarounds that could go away at any time though.

kcxiv
11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Know the feeling...

There is no way as a chiefs fan can i drop Sunday Ticket. I would be stuck with nothing but Raiders/Niners games. YEAHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Direct tv has me until the NFL allows more cable companies to have Sunday ticket. Once they do. Ill probably be all comcast.

BullJunkandIron
11-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Know the feeling...

This damn it, this. On contract in Pueblo, CO. I hate the donks more than ever.

hometeam
11-18-2013, 09:22 PM
There is no way as a chiefs fan can i drop Sunday Ticket. I would be stuck with nothing but Raiders/Niners games. YEAHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Direct tv has me until the NFL allows more cable companies to have Sunday ticket. Once they do. Ill probably be all comcast.

Rumor is that its going to happen.. cant remember if its this offseason or next.

Psyko Tek
11-18-2013, 09:53 PM
so nobody her knows about the internet?

the football streaming links have all that shit

kcxiv
11-18-2013, 10:35 PM
so nobody her knows about the internet?

the football streaming links have all that shit

fuckbootleg links for football. Illonly use them watching mma and boxing. The rest i need in glorious true HD.

Shit is also like a minute or 2 behind thelive broadcasts. When i watch games n interact on this website and a few others in real time. i dontlike to know who scored before i even got to see it.

I rather dish out a few bucks.

TinyEvel
11-18-2013, 10:37 PM
I recently moved to a new city. After happily enjoying DTV for 8 years at our old house we got Comcast bundle (TV, net, phone) at the new house.

The TV service is complete shite. The user interface with the search and the guide and all that is complete crap. Completely non-intuitive. Also, the "one DVR for the whole house" setup is crap. We can only pause and rewind live TV at the home box. Other rooms we cannot, unless it s recorded TV.

Also, twice a week minimum, you turn on the TV in the other rooms and it says it cannot connect to the main feed, and you have to unplug the receiver to reset it.

Next July I will be calling DIRECTV to come hook me up and free sunday ticket. I guarantee that.