PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What Does the Farmer Say?

Deberg_1990
11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Work, work, work, work, work, wa work!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vyMv4kkSCvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In58men
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't care

loochy
11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Herp a derp a herp derp derp

Bewbies
11-19-2013, 07:44 PM
http://youtu.be/eyQca1cwe54

Mr. Flopnuts
11-19-2013, 07:45 PM
That is so fucking retarded that I'm surprised that A. it was made, and B. anyone would bother reposting that shit.

Buehler445
11-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Wife showed me that shit. Awful.

Those kids from central kansas are better.

Canofbier
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
City folks just don't get it!

mikeyis4dcats.
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
the Thriftshop parody is a little better

Pablo
11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
It's definitely a deberg post.

wazu
11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
City folks just don't get it!

Never been so thankful for my city-folk ways.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2013, 08:12 PM
It's definitely a deberg post.

At least I Stand for something. What's a Pablo post say?

Pablo
11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
At least I Stand for something. What's a Pablo post say?
Keep fighting the good fight.

CrazyPhuD
11-19-2013, 08:38 PM
It would have been better if his parody was...."What does the sheep say?"

PBJlambsPBJ

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Moar hog-jizz?

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 12:02 AM
The Chiefs do NOT go "Touchdown"

They go "Punt punt punt punt puntpuntpunt"

CrazyPhuD
11-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Moar hog-jizz?

That would be in the song....'What does a Hog Farmer say?'.....'Jerk Jerk Jerk Jerk jerkjerkjerkjerk.....duck'

aturnis
11-20-2013, 12:51 AM
FUCKING GAY!

11-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Who gives a crap about what the fox or the farmer says? I want to know what the jackalope says.

scho63
11-20-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm already so sick of this song and all it's stupid parodies! This one I could listen to for 10 seconds.

mr. tegu
11-20-2013, 07:59 AM
The SNL one of what does the girlfriend say is actually funny.

gblowfish
11-20-2013, 10:34 AM
The SNL one of what does the girlfriend say is actually funny.

Yep.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jc_facbFDa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Dumpsterfire.jpeg

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 12:43 PM
What does Jameis Winston say?

http://www.meh.ro/thumbnail/2010_02/meh.ro2203.jpg

loochy
11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
What does the Chris say?

YHWH

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
What does the Chris say?

YHWH

LMAO

If you were Sorter, Chris would be your Black Bob

MOhillbilly
11-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I am natures bitch?

I say this often.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Good ol' farmers...

They're still pretty certain they're the only people on the planet that work hard. Sure thing, fellas. I'll remember that next time I see you crawl out of your air-conditioned John Deere that's been making GPS guided passes as you drink your coffee right before you take your 3 hour lunch break at the local cafe.

The 'overworked farmer' trope has jumped the shark something fierce.

Fish
11-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Good ol' farmers...

They're still pretty certain they're the only people on the planet that work hard. Sure thing, fellas. I'll remember that next time I see you crawl out of your air-conditioned John Deere that's been making GPS guided passes as you drink your coffee right before you take your 3 hour lunch break at the local cafe.

That's incredibly ignorant.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
That's incredibly ignorant.

Boo hoo.

The rest of the world works really goddamn hard as well; farmer's don't have the patent on it and are as bad as stay at home moms when it comes to overstating their 'labors'.

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Good ol' farmers...

I'm pretty sure Hog Farmer works hard, but he may also really like what he does. Not sure that constitutes "work."

Fish
11-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Boo hoo.

The rest of the world works really goddamn hard as well; farmer's don't have the patent on it and are as bad as stay at home moms when it comes to overstating their 'labors'.

Yeah... it's pretty clear you know nothing about it. Most of the hard working farmers I know still don't have a GPS-guided air conditioned tractor and excess time to waste at some cafe. You're speaking out your ass, and it shows.

You'd gain a great deal of respect for the profession by simply stepping foot on a farm sometime. Because it's obvious you never have. Farmers are good people and your view of them is way off.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah... it's pretty clear you know nothing about it. Most of the hard working farmers I know still don't have a GPS-guided air conditioned tractor and excess time to waste at some cafe. You're speaking out your ass, and it shows.

You'd gain a great deal of respect for the profession by simply stepping foot on a farm sometime. Because it's obvious you never have. Farmers are good people and your view of them is way off.

I spent every summer doing farm/ranch work growing up.

I never said they were bad people. In fact it is quite the opposite, they're generally among the most cordial, friendly people you'll meet. I said they need to stop acting like they work harder than the rest of the world.

They don't.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM

I never said they were bad people. In fact it is quite the opposite, they're generally among the most cordial, friendly people you'll meet. I said they need to stop acting like they work harder than the rest of the world.

They don't.

Posted from my leather chair in my office in front of the fireplace

:LOL:

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 01:48 PM
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Why can't farmers own leather chairs and fireplaces, mikey? What's stopping them?

Just because their jobs are more labor-intensive than others means they have to confine themselves to spartan living conditions for the rest of their lives?

I think that's part of what DJ's LN was getting at in terms of the cultural frames we impose on farmers and other careers.

I could be wrong, though.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Why can't farmers own leather chairs and fireplaces, mikey? What's stopping them?

Just because their jobs are more labor-intensive than others means they have to confine themselves to spartan living conditions for the rest of their lives?

I think that's part of what DJ's LN was getting at in terms of the cultural frames we impose on farmers and other careers.

I could be wrong, though.

only if they have many leatherbound books

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 02:02 PM
What? So now farmers aren't allowed to be book collectors?

Fish
11-20-2013, 02:12 PM

They don't.

I'm not sure I believe you. Especially defining it as a "farm/ranch work" and equating farming to air-conditioned cabs and 3 hour lunch breaks.

On average they do work harder than most other Americans. The logistics of the profession alone require it.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure I believe you. Especially defining it as a "farm/ranch work" and equating farming to air-conditioned cabs and 3 hour lunch breaks.

On average they do work harder than most other Americans. The logistics of the profession alone require it.

Whatever you say, sport. I'm positive that I don't really care if you believe me.

The 'logistics' don't require a thing. Sure, they do more manual labor, but that's not the dispositive characteristic of what makes a job hard.

They do more stuff that can cause them physical injury, but there are a hell of a lot of people, including many on this board, that face stresses and other issues just as likely to put them in a hole sooner because of it.

Fish
11-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Whatever you say, sport. I'm positive that I don't really care if you believe me.

The 'logistics' don't require a thing. Sure, they do more manual labor, but that's not the dispositive characteristic of what makes a job hard.

They do more stuff that can cause them physical injury, but there are a hell of a lot of people, including many on this board, that face stresses and other issues just as likely to put them in a hole sooner because of it.

The logistics of moving, operating, and maintaining hundreds of tons of equipment worth millions of dollars don't require a thing?

Wow dude...

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 02:47 PM
The logistics of moving, operating, and maintaining hundreds of tons of equipment worth millions of dollars don't require a thing?

Wow dude...

Your position is that those logistics 'require' that they work harder than the average American.

My ass they do. You act as though there aren't 'logistics' in any other job.

Shit, a mechanic needs to maintain and operate tons of equipment worth millions of dollars - turning a wrench is turning a wrench. The mechanics that are keeping fire trucks running can claim a similar job description.

Do farmers automatically work harder than the guy working at the body shop that answers to a shitty boss, works in a sweltering garage and has asshole customers in his ear all day?

No, no they do not. Putting large numbers like 'tons' and 'millions' in their job description doesn't impress me. They're by no means the only ones that can claim similar burdens.

How about a line accountant at a big-3 firm? That guy's going to work literally 18 hours/day for weeks at a time. He's going to have 7 figure earners absolutely shredding him for missing a single transaction in thousands of lines of them. He's going to have ulcers the size of half-dollars because nothing about his time is actually his. Oh, but because he doesn't risk a fence-strecher backfiring into his shoulder, he doesn't work hard.

Hell, let's just keep going up the chain. How about actual executives? The fat cats, according to the fine folks in overalls. They have to know where billions of dollars are getting spent at any given time. They have to be responsible for oversight/administration that carries with it legitimate criminal liability. They are responsible on any given day for decisions that could leave scores of people unemployed. And yes, they're often working 12-14 hour days as well and feel like the weight of every one of their employees, clients and their own family rests on their shoulders. My god, look at the health record of people in the banking, medical or legal professions - stress kills those fellas off in droves.

Spare me. Farmers don't work harder than the average american. They don't have the high ground when it comes to work ethic. "City-folk" as they like to say, often work just as hard, face just as much shit and have even less gratitude for their efforts.

Farmers do not have the patent on hard work.

saphojunkie
11-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Parody of a comedy song does not comedy.

saphojunkie
11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Your position is that those logistics 'require' that they work harder than the average American.

Shit, a mechanic needs to maintain and operate tons of equipment worth millions of dollars - turning a wrench is turning a wrench. The mechanics that are keeping fire trucks running can claim a similar job description.

Do farmers automatically work harder than the guy working at the body shop that answers to a shitty boss, works in a sweltering garage and has asshole customers in his ear all day?

No, no they do not. Putting large numbers like 'tons' and 'millions' in their job description doesn't impress me. They're by no means the only ones that can claim similar burdens.

How about a line accountant at a big-3 firm? That guy's going to work literally 18 hours/day for weeks at a time. He's going to have 7 figure earners absolutely shredding him for missing a single transaction in thousands of lines of them. He's going to have ulcers the size of half-dollars because nothing about his time is actually his. Oh, but because he doesn't risk a fence-strecher backfiring into his shoulder, he doesn't work hard.

Hell, let's just keep going up the chain. How about actual executives? The fat cats, according to the fine folks in overalls. They have to know where billions of dollars are getting spent at any given time. They have to be responsible for oversight/administration that carries with it legitimate criminal liability. They are responsible on any given day for decisions that could leave scores of people unemployed. And yes, they're often working 12-14 hour days as well and feel like the weight of every one of their employees, clients and their own family rests on their shoulders. My god, look at the health record of people in the banking, medical or legal professions - stress kills those fellas off in droves.

Spare me. Farmers don't work harder than the average american. They don't have the high ground when it comes to work ethic. "City-folk" as they like to say, often work just as hard, face just as much shit and have even less gratitude for their efforts.

Anyone posting on chiefsplanet by definition does not work too hard.

Fish
11-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Mechanics, accountants, and executives? LOL... you can't be serious.

That mechanic is on a set 8-5 schedule. His little 9/16 wrench is actually quite a bit easier to turn than the baseball bat sized wrench needed to loosen the nuts that are bigger than your hand. So no, all wrench turning is not the same. Not even close. Not to mention that the farmer can fix the same pickup the mechanic is working on, in addition to having the responsibility of fixing the combine, fleet of diesel farm trucks, the tractor, all the different things the tractor pulls, the Farmhand used to feed the animals, the buildings where it's all stored, down to the fence that's surrounding the farm. Quite a bit more responsibility.

An accountant? Yeah, sitting in a chair pecking a keyboard is quite a feat. With the TPS reports and whatnot, now there's the definition of hard work. Forget working outdoors in weather varying from below freezing to over 100. Accounting can give you stomach pains sometimes.

And how about those executives? Working with other people's money. My how difficult. Nevermind that the the farmer deals with just as much money as that executive, with most of it being his own investment. And you're forgetting that not only does the farmer also deal with just as much if not more money and all the same responsibility that comes with it, the farmer is also expected to do the mechanics job as well, and still fit all that in to a day's work.

So the farmer is simultaneously doing the job of two of the other professions you've listed. Show me the executive that also does the full job of the mechanic, and then you might have somebody to compare to what a farmer does in a day.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Now who's being ignorant?

You have the most simple-minded view of what constitutes hard work imaginable.

You and the rest of the shit-slingers and tractor drivers that would get absolutely eaten alive if you had to answer to some of the people that the rest of the world does.

By god, if you can't bust your knuckles doing it, it ain't hard!!!

Mouthbreather.

hometeam
11-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Mechanics, accountants, and executives? LOL... you can't be serious.

That mechanic is on a set 8-5 schedule. His little 9/16 wrench is actually quite a bit easier to turn than the baseball bat sized wrench needed to loosen the nuts that are bigger than your hand. So no, all wrench turning is not the same. Not even close. Not to mention that the farmer can fix the same pickup the mechanic is working on, in addition to having the responsibility of fixing the combine, fleet of diesel farm trucks, the tractor, all the different things the tractor pulls, the Farmhand used to feed the animals, the buildings where it's all stored, down to the fence that's surrounding the farm. Quite a bit more responsibility.

An accountant? Yeah, sitting in a chair pecking a keyboard is quite a feat. With the TPS reports and whatnot, now there's the definition of hard work. Forget working outdoors in weather varying from below freezing to over 100. Accounting can give you stomach pains sometimes.

And how about those executives? Working with other people's money. My how difficult. Nevermind that the the farmer deals with just as much money as that executive, with most of it being his own investment. And you're forgetting that not only does the farmer also deal with just as much if not more money and all the same responsibility that comes with it, the farmer is also expected to do the mechanics job as well, and still fit all that in to a day's work.

So the farmer is simultaneously doing the job of two of the other professions you've listed. Show me the executive that also does the full job of the mechanic, and then you might have somebody to compare to what a farmer does in a day.

Not to interrupt your guys little battle,

But most mechanics work 10,12,16 hour days. Then they go home and do side mechanic work to make ends meet. Just throwing that out there.

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 03:35 PM
You guys don't know me. You don't know what I do. You don't know the shit I have to put up with.

KCUnited
11-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Try articulating your thoughts on Alex Smith on a browser minimized to the size of a business card for 7.25 hours a day. That's a **** ton of scrolling over.

Fish
11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Now who's being ignorant?

You have the most simple-minded view of what constitutes hard work imaginable.

You and the rest of the shit-slingers and tractor drivers that would get absolutely eaten alive if you had to answer to some of the people that the rest of the world does.

By god, if you can't bust your knuckles doing it, it ain't hard!!!

Mouthbreather.

I have a feeling that accounting would simply bore a farmer as opposed to eating him alive. But go ahead and call me names if that helps you feel better about the conversation...

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
I have a feeling that accounting would simply bore a farmer as opposed to eating him alive. But go ahead and call me names if that helps you feel better about the conversation...

Says the guy who decries anybody that dares suggest that the things that make a job difficult may be more than simple physical exertion as 'ignorant'...

Fish
11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Says the guy who decries anybody that dares suggest that the things that make a job difficult may be more than simple physical exertion as 'ignorant'...

Moving the goalposts by trying to change the meaning of "Hard work" is rather silly at this point. You put forth 3 examples, but the fact remains that the farmer has more combined physical exertion, financial responsibility, and required work hours than any of the three you mentioned.

The fact that you consider them shit-slinging mouthbreaters tells me all I need to know about your understanding of what they actually do. A couple weeks as a farm hand would do wonders for your ignorance.

gblowfish
11-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Rolling hay bales for one day will prove to ANYONE that farming is hard work.

mr. tegu
11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't work hard, I work smart.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Moving the goalposts by trying to change the meaning of "Hard work" is rather silly at this point. You put forth 3 examples, but the fact remains that the farmer has more combined physical exertion, financial responsibility, and required work hours than any of the three you mentioned.

The fact that you consider them shit-slinging mouthbreaters tells me all I need to know about your understanding of what they actually do. A couple weeks as a farm hand would do wonders for your ignorance.

Yes, no, no.

You continue to presume that the first trumps the latter 2 and that's simply not true. Hell, the latter two claims are simply laughably inaccurate. This 40 hour work-week crap has been dead in urban life for better than a decade; everyone busts their ass.

And again, I've bucked bails (for blowfish's benefit) and while it sucks, it's mindless and generally stress-free work. It's just labor-intensive. I've dug more trenches than I dare count. I've had to bust out post-hole diggers when setting posts on any number of occasions because "it'll take too long to put the Auger on and re-set the brushhog" and other such farm logic. So again, spare me - I've served my time outdoors. It's an entirely different kind of work and it's hard in its own right, but it's certainly not harder than some poor sap working until midnight under a deadline because he's going to get blasted in 4 hours. It's more physically taxing, but it's nowhere near as mentally exhausting.

You simply disregard all forms of toil that aren't physical as basically being inconsequential. Whatever. Like I said, stress puts more 'city folk' in the ground than combines drop farmers. You can ignore it, but it's quite real.

Zebedee DuBois
11-20-2013, 05:24 PM
My uncle farmed until he was 90. They own all that expensive specialized equipment to eliminate the hard work. There are plenty of long grueling days - there is also plenty of days with 3 hour lunches.
If it was all that hard, all the farmers would be mexicans by now.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
This farmer can't work too hard if he finds the time to make all these YouTube vids.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 05:40 PM
My uncle farmed until he was 90. They own all that expensive specialized equipment to eliminate the hard work. There are plenty of long grueling days - there is also plenty of days with 3 hour lunches.
If it was all that hard, all the farmers would be mexicans by now.

My dad's good friend has a huge tract out in Kansas; he and his sons have farmed it for years. He's in his late 60s and still farms it. He has about 3 really busy times of the year when he has to push himself pretty ragged, but he also has massive expanses of the year where he just heads to the Ozarks and kills time. He also has a month or so in the winter after all the winterizing is done, the broken stuff is largely repaired and the books are in order where he just heads south until it's time to start up again in the spring.

His son does a lot of the planting and bitches constantly about the boredom; says he's only in there anymore to make the turns (GPS sets the rows but for some reason still can't turn correctly and there has to be someone to make sure it doesn't drive over a fence).

We've been on motorcycle trips with them and a bunch of guys they farm with and when you get them drinking, they're pretty funny about stuff like that; they admit that there's a shitload of down time where they're just kinda waiting for the crops to grow and ground to thaw.

That recharge time helps immensely especially when contrasted against most jobs where the endless grind is what makes the job so difficult. "Great! You got that pile sorted through...here's this one"

I'll admit, my shots about the GPS, etc... are all second hand (I've not seen those in action), but even 10-20 years ago when I was doing that stuff, the AC cabs where the norm. The long-ass lunches were common and for the most part we knocked off at 4:30-5 to go back in and eat. At times the guy that owned the place would head back out to the garage to do some wrenching, but how's that any different than me wrapping up work when I'm at home? This idea that farmers work these interminable hours when the rest of the world doesn't is simply not true.

Like I said, nobody overstates their pressures and understates others better than farmers and stay at home moms.

salame
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
oh wow
that was fucking horrible

Fish
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes, no, no.

You continue to presume that the first trumps the latter 2 and that's simply not true. Hell, the latter two claims are simply laughably inaccurate. This 40 hour work-week crap has been dead in urban life for better than a decade; everyone busts their ass.

And again, I've bucked bails (for blowfish's benefit) and while it sucks, it's mindless and generally stress-free work. It's just labor-intensive. I've dug more trenches than I dare count. I've had to bust out post-hole diggers when setting posts on any number of occasions because "it'll take too long to put the Auger on and re-set the brushhog" and other such farm logic. So again, spare me - I've served my time outdoors. It's an entirely different kind of work and it's hard in its own right, but it's certainly not harder than some poor sap working until midnight under a deadline because he's going to get blasted in 4 hours. It's more physically taxing, but it's nowhere near as mentally exhausting.

You simply disregard all forms of toil that aren't physical as basically being inconsequential. Whatever. Like I said, stress puts more 'city folk' in the ground than combines drop farmers. You can ignore it, but it's quite real.

Have you ever priced one of those air-conditioned GPS capable combines that you started your spiel with? $500,000 just for itself. That's not counting the header, trailer, spare tires($2-3k per tire), fuel, and everything needed for maintenance. That's just one implement. Do you have any idea what the maintenance costs of something like that are? Obviously you don't, or you would see how completely dumb your claim is.

Add in 4 or 5 grain trucks, trailers, storage sheds, cost and upkeep of cattle, land taxes, feed, seed, fertilizer, tools, and agricultural insurance to cover your millions of dollars of assets.

And farmers don't have regular pay periods either. Which requires considerable financial responsibility. You greatly underestimate the effort needed to manage finances in an ag business environment.

You've reduced your argument to mental exhaustion. Well that could be argued as well, but why bother at this point. You're just wrong. Farming is hard fucking work and will age a man hard, which is why I left the farm and got a job in the city.

salame
11-20-2013, 05:59 PM
aren't farmers all tax cheats?

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Have you ever priced one of those air-conditioned GPS capable combines that you started your spiel with? $500,000 just for itself. That's not counting the header, trailer, spare tires($2-3k per tire), fuel, and everything needed for maintenance. That's just one implement. Do you have any idea what the maintenance costs of something like that are? Obviously you don't, or you would see how completely dumb your claim is.

Add in 4 or 5 grain trucks, trailers, storage sheds, cost and upkeep of cattle, land taxes, feed, seed, fertilizer, tools, and agricultural insurance to cover your millions of dollars of assets.

And farmers don't have regular pay periods either. Which requires considerable financial responsibility. You greatly underestimate the effort needed to manage finances in an ag business environment.

You've reduced your argument to mental exhaustion. Well that could be argued as well, but why bother at this point. You're just wrong. Farming is hard fucking work and will age a man hard, which is why I left the farm and got a job in the city.

I've said 100 times over that farming is hard.

But so are a shitload of other jobs. And farmers that act like every day is 18 hours of swinging axes and digging holes by hand are full of shit. They also have days at the sale barn where they're just chatting all day before they go making bids. Days where they just trek down to the co-op and yack about so and so's new rig for an hour before some kid throws a thousand pounds of seed in their truck.

Their job isn't unlike most others; they're just the only ones that act like nobody else works hard for their money.

My problem isn't their workload, it's their bullshit attitude that nobody else has one.

And as for the expenses, again, you're trying to equate every single farmer with a guy running a solo shop on a shoestring budget; that doesn't speak to the guys that are just contract farmers for someone else. If you want to make a fair comparison, you have to compare your guy that's in charge of everything to any other small-business owner that carries the same responsibility. Those guys deal with the same shit the farmer does.

Farmers sit around all the time and belittle everyone that doesn't farm and it's simply unwarranted. They carry burdens and responsibilities that are no greater than most other similarly situated workers in this country.

saphojunkie
11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
aren't farmers all tax cheats?

Damn it with all these liberals and their handouts! *takes billions in federal subsidies without a hint of irony*

Hammock Parties
11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
he said bring your playbook

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Damn it with all these liberals and their handouts! *takes billions in federal subsidies without a hint of irony*

I saw a shitload of new trucks in northern Missouri once those corn subsidies passed.

Just sayin'...

Fish
11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I've said 100 times over that farming is hard.

But so are a shitload of other jobs. And farmers that act like every day is 18 hours of swinging axes and digging holes by hand are full of shit. They also have days at the sale barn where they're just chatting all day before they go making bids. Days where they just trek down to the co-op and yack about so and so's new rig for an hour before some kid throws a thousand pounds of seed in their truck.

Their job isn't unlike most others; they're just the only ones that act like nobody else works hard for their money.

My problem isn't their workload, it's their bullshit attitude that nobody else has one.

And as for the expenses, again, you're trying to equate every single farmer with a guy running a solo shop on a shoestring budget; that doesn't speak to the guys that are just contract farmers for someone else. If you want to make a fair comparison, you have to compare your guy that's in charge of everything to any other small-business owner that carries the same responsibility. Those guys deal with the same shit the farmer does.

Farmers sit around all the time and belittle everyone that doesn't farm and it's simply unwarranted. They carry burdens and responsibilities that are no greater than most other similarly situated workers in this country.

Farmers sit around and belittle everyone that doesn't farm?

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Farmers sit around and belittle everyone that doesn't farm?

To their face? No. Like I said - they tend to be among the friendliest folks you'll meet.

But my god, 'sissified city folk' are pretty much ever-present in casual conversation between them. Again, usually on about their 3rd cup of coffee while deciding if they want a slice of pie with lunch (farmers eat a ton of dessert, man).

Amazingly, one of my co-workers (who's a good friend) that grew up farming will still yack about how much harder 'all of us farm folks' work and yet all the time he says that he's just going to retire to go back to farming because he's tired of {insert today's problem}. A guy I went to school with quit his job because he was tired of the headaches and went back to working his dad's farm. Everyone has shit to deal with and a lot of folks appear to prefer the farmers shit over others'.

It's damn hard to find a farmer that's willing to give any credit to people that aren't farmers for working hard. Your position throughout this exercise has pretty much firmed that one up for me.

RealSNR
11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
There was a farmer that had a narrow patch of somewhat rough land that he got sick of trying to make work, so he sold it as a set of four residential properties. My folks bought one, and another couple from town that they knew bought another.

My dad and both the wife and the husband from the other couple are doctors. All of them are still practicing, but they're nearing retirement. They pretty much just bought and built these country homes as dream houses.

Well, all the other farmers from the area of course know that they live out there now. They see these large fancy houses they've built, too. So apparently my mom heard from the other couple that when talking among themselves, they call that stretch of homes "Silver Spoon Lane".

I mean... what the FUCK are those assholes talking about? My dad grew up shit poor and in debt up to his eyeballs from years of college, med school, and residency. Same goes for the other guy. There's nothing any more "silver spoon" about my folks than the farmers who inherited their land from generations and generations of Norwegian immigrant farmers and whose amount of wealth, while tied into equipment and maintenance, is likely multiple times larger than whatever fortune my parents have amassed throughout their working lives.

"Silver Spoon Lane." Can you believe that shit?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2013, 06:58 PM
There was a farmer that had a narrow patch of somewhat rough land that he got sick of trying to make work, so he sold it as a set of four residential properties. My folks bought one, and another couple from town that they knew bought another.

My dad and both the wife and the husband from the other couple are doctors. All of them are still practicing, but they're nearing retirement. They pretty much just bought and built these country homes as dream houses.

Well, all the other farmers from the area of course know that they live out there now. They see these large fancy houses they've built, too. So apparently my mom heard from the other couple that when talking among themselves, they call that stretch of homes "Silver Spoon Lane".

I mean... what the FUCK are those assholes talking about? My dad grew up shit poor and in debt up to his eyeballs from years of college, med school, and residency. Same goes for the other guy. There's nothing any more "silver spoon" about my folks than the farmers who inherited their land from generations and generations of Norwegian immigrant farmers and whose amount of wealth, while tied into equipment and maintenance, is likely multiple times larger than whatever fortune my parents have amassed throughout their working lives.

Your parents should go down to the Co-op and bring some fresh coffee and biscuits. That'll straighten that shit right up.

salame
11-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Your parents should go down to the Co-op and bring some fresh coffee and biscuits. That'll straighten that shit right up.

and share some tax fudging secrets

DJ's left nut

Yes. Yes I can.

If only your father would've worked hard for a living, he could've earned their respect.

RealSNR

My dad, when he heard that, was about ready to give them a nice bag of homemade fertilizer... on fire.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2013, 07:17 PM
and share some tax fudging secrets

My dad, when he heard that, was about ready to give them a nice bag of homemade fertilizer... on fire.

LMAO

Deberg_1990
11-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Damn, DJs left Nut basically ripping up all the farmer stereotypes to shreds.

I guess John Mellencamp and Willie Nelson were full of shit.

MOhillbilly
11-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver spoons. Lol. Fuck you silver spoons.

Dj what do you know about farming?

Not all farmers are about beans and corn.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-20-2013, 09:09 PM
There's a big , big difference between the CROP farmer and the LIVESTOCK farmer nowadays. They are at two different ends of the stick.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2013, 09:12 PM
There's a big , big difference between the CROP farmer and the LIVESTOCK farmer nowadays. They are at two different ends of the stick.

Back before the horseless carriage, we called you boys, "Ranchers".

ghak99
11-20-2013, 09:13 PM

One is stroking and one is poking??

Bugeater
11-20-2013, 09:22 PM
One thing I'll give farmers credit for is they rarely get days off. My uncle is retired from the USDA and has always ran farms on the side. He's never been on a vacation in his life.

Grandfather was also a farmer, he never worked particularly hard but again, never took days off. I'm fairly certain my grandmother worked twice as hard as him as a farm wife.