PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Tigers trade Fielder to Texas for Kinsler

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Dan Plesac ‏@Plesac19 54s
Wow ! @JonHeymanCBS reporting #tigers and Rangers in agreement on trade sending Prince to Tx for Kinsler. Guess this mean Max going nowhere!

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m
The #Rangers have acquired Prince Fielder from #Rangers for Ian Kinsler, @JonHeymanCBS reports. A fascinating deal.

MIAdragon
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Wonder how much salary Det is eating?

CaliforniaChief
11-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Holy crap. Wow. How many home runs is Fielder gonna hit in that band box?

Prison Bitch
11-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I guess Detroit is dumping salary because Kinsler sucks. Then again so has Fielder.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2013, 07:29 PM
ROFL ROFL

Holy shit. I understand wanting to get out from under that contract, but Kinsler was a league average hitter last year. The Rangers just opened up a spot for Profar and significantly upgraded 1st and their lineup.

That is straight fucking rape.

Nightfyre
11-20-2013, 07:29 PM
HALLLELLUJAH!

Deberg_1990
11-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Looks like another year of the Royals not doing sh*t.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ebolapox
11-20-2013, 07:32 PM
lol wut

Prison Bitch
11-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Looks like another year of the Royals not doing sh*t.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why, their competitor brings in a declining player in Kinsler

Buck
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Crazy this is Prince's 3rd team already.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
I guess Detroit is dumping salary because Kinsler sucks. Then again so has Fielder.

Kinsler is a good player. He's always been a good player. However, he has started his decline.

Prince is still only 29 years old. He's significantly overpaid, but saying he sucks is akin to saying that Tamba Hali sucks because you only watched him Sunday night.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 25s
Sources: Kinsler-for-Fielder indeed on verge of happening, as reported by @JonHeymanCBS. #Rangers get $$$.

jd1020
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Kinsler is a good player. He's always been a good player. However, he has started his decline.

Prince is still only 29 years old. He's significantly overpaid, but saying he sucks is akin to saying that Tamba Hali sucks because you only watched him Sunday night.

Fielder only has a .916 career OPS.

Just terrible!

CaliforniaChief
11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
As a Royals fan I'm ECSTATIC about this. Honestly, unless there are pieces of this we don't know yet.

I also thought that DET might be in on Cano, but obviously that's gone too.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Isn't Fielder basically Billy Butler with more power?

CaliforniaChief
11-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Yes. And if we had Billy Butler with more power and traded him out of the division for a brokedick 2B, I'm sure the Tigers/Twins/White Sox/Indians would be equally thrilled.

Demonpenz
11-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I talked to trainer that said prince is so fat his dick goes inwards and they have to dig it out with the thing they use to scrape dirt off the cleats for him to take a piss.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Wouldn't Billy Butler with more power be one of the more dangerous hitters in baseball?

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Wow! Speechless.

loochy
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
this, folks, is why you dont sign players to retarded contracts

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Yes. And if we had Billy Butler with more power and traded him out of the division for a brokedick 2B, I'm sure the Tigers/Twins/White Sox/Indians would be equally thrilled.

"Isn't Clayton Kershaw essentially Bruce Chen with more velocity?"

CaliforniaChief
11-20-2013, 07:47 PM

LMAO

DeezNutz
11-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Shit. Fuck you for responding to a Royals fan in this fashion. Damn it.

loochy
11-20-2013, 07:49 PM

Isn't Alex Smith essentially Matt Cassel with scrambling ability?

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM

LMAO

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Yes

Nightfyre
11-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Isn't your mother essentially a whore? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA MOM JOKES111!!! (Nothing personal loochy, but I had to quote someone)

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Totally without speech

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Shit. Fuck you for responding to a Royals fan in this fashion. Damn it.

I'd have far preferred that dipshit Dodgers fan that infects this board to have said something that sillly. Or even one of the Orioles fans.

Seriously, I'm just now coming to grips with the fact that Stephen Drew will almost certainly be a Cardinal and we've lost all leverage to make anything else happen.

I'm a little grumpy. My apologies. Next time send a Cubs fan in here to say something stupid.

BlackHelicopters
11-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Meanwhile GMDM took a dump today and started printing WS tickets for 2014.

Shogun
11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
@JeffPassan 1m

Source: Detroit will be sending $30 million to Texas in the Prince Fielder deal.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 35s
Final deal: Detroit trades Prince Fielder + $30M to Texas for Ian Kinsler. TEX gets Prince for 7/$138M, DET gets Kinsler for 4/$62M + $30M.

Prison Bitch
11-20-2013, 08:25 PM

That's not the sick burn you think it was. Kershaw is clearly the best pitcher in MLB whereas the gap from Fielder to Butler isn't all that great. So your analogy failed.

Shogun
11-20-2013, 08:26 PM
@JeffPassan 1m

Final deal: Detroit trades Prince Fielder + $30M to Texas for Ian Kinsler. TEX gets Prince for 7/$138M, DET gets Kinsler for 4/$62M + $30M.

Marcellus
11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Texas raped on that deal.

Marcellus
11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Kinsler for 4 years and cost $92MM? Fuck that.

Pepe Silvia
11-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Kinsler for 4 years and cost $92MM? **** that.

These insane baseball contracts need to stop.

Eleazar
11-20-2013, 08:44 PM
It makes sense if this is the only way Detroit could keep Scherzer I guess. Not going to sit well with a fan though, if it's a cost saving move

duncan_idaho
11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Wow.

Can't quite believe that. Detroit has an incredibly RH-dominated lineup now.

And not so sure Kinsler bounces back, especially considering he's left a very favorable home park.

KC_Connection
11-20-2013, 09:17 PM
ROFL ROFL

Holy shit. I understand wanting to get out from under that contract, but Kinsler was a league average hitter last year. The Rangers just opened up a spot for Profar and significantly upgraded 1st and their lineup.

That is straight ****ing rape.
Fielder is coming off a bad year by his standards like Kinsler, but unlike Kinsler, he can't field for shit and his contract is a massive albatross (7 years/168M). Texas may still get a couple of good offensive years out of him (and it may make their team slightly better in the short term), but they're going to be paying a declining DH 24M a season well into his mid-30s. It's a horrible contract.

Considering what they'll be able to do with that freed up money (re-sign Scherzer and potentially Miggy), this is a win for Detroit, not Texas.

tk13
11-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Fielder is coming off a bad year by his standards like Kinsler, but unlike Kinsler, he can't field for shit and his contract is a massive albatross (7 years/168M). Texas may still get a couple of good offensive years out of him (and it may make their team slightly better in the short term), but they're going to be paying a declining DH 24M a season well into his mid-30s. It's a horrible contract.

Considering what they'll be able to do with that freed up money (re-sign Scherzer and potentially Miggy), this is a win for Detroit, not Texas.

There's truth to this... but still, they're likely going to be giving Scherzer and Cabrera huge extensions into their late 30's, at least. Cabrera will be 31 next year, Scherzer turns 30. Those two guys are probably worth $400+ million combined at 32-33 years old. It's not a sure thing.

KC_Connection
11-20-2013, 09:36 PM
There's truth to this... but still, they're likely going to be giving Scherzer and Cabrera huge extensions into their late 30's, at least. Cabrera will be 31 next year, Scherzer turns 30. Those two guys are probably worth $400+ million combined at 32-33 years old. It's not a sure thing.
The difference is that Scherzer and Cabrera are both much better players than Fielder (and project to remain so going forward). If you're going to hand out a massive contract or two, it might as well be to the best pitcher and hitter in the majors.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 09:44 PM

The Tigers sent $30 million to Texas.

So the Tigers will be paying the same for Kinsler over the next 4 years as they would've paid for Fielder; $4 million more than the Rangers will pay/season for Fielder due to the offset.

The money they freed up won't surface until 2018. By then they will have already had to shit or get off the pot on Scherzer and Miggy. The only contracts they have in place for 2018 at this time are Verlander and Sanchez.

This will have next to no impact whatsoever in what they can do with Cabrera or Scherzer.

mr. tegu
11-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Great news!

GloryDayz
11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
We were so close!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC_Connection
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
The Tigers sent $30 million to Texas.

Still not enough to make up for the huge amount of dead money at the back end of Fielder's contract. They should have asked for more.

This will have next to no impact whatsoever in what they can do with Cabrera or Scherzer.
That depends entirely on how much their payroll is going to be going forward, which we don't know. Getting out of a massive albatross tied a declining DH certainly won't hurt that effort, though. The freed up money can presumably be spent in a much more effective way.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Still not enough to make up for the huge amount of dead money at the back end of Fielder's contract. They should have asked for more.

That depends entirely on how much their payroll is going to be going forward, which we don't know. Getting out of a massive albatross tied a declining DH certainly won't hurt that effort, though. The freed up money can presumably be spent in a much more effective way.

I ask again - what freed up money?

Yes, it clears some money off the books in 2018, but they'll have already had to expand their payroll substantially to fit Cabrera/Scherzer into it.

If the whole idea behind this is to make 2018-2021 (which are likely just going to be decline years for Cabrera for anyway), I'm not sure they've accomplished much, if anything.

Besides, Ilitch is beyond rich and may well be dead by then anyway.

I do wonder, however, if the Ilitch children don't share his love of sports ownership. If this is done with an eye on perhaps making the team more attractive to a potential buyer in the event of Ilitch's demise, it actually makes a little sense.

From the baseball side, however, the timing and the immediate long-term liability taken on in the Kinsler deal effectively eliminates any benefit to the Tigers and their current roster.

ChiefsCountry
11-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Besides, Ilitch is beyond rich and may well be dead by then anyway.

That's a lot of Pizza Pizza.

KC_Connection
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I ask again - what freed up money?

The freed up money that you get from having a 7 year/168M contract off the books. Even when you account for the Kinsler contract (which isn't bad at all at 4/61) and the $30M they're giving to get rid of the albatross, it's still clearly a net positive to them. Fielder's contract is just that awful.

I do wonder, however, if the Ilitch children don't share his love of sports ownership. If this is done with an eye on perhaps making the team more attractive to a potential buyer in the event of Ilitch's demise, it actually makes a little sense.

I think it's just to make the team better, both now and in the long term. This deal has the potential of making their infield defense much better than it was before (instead of two butchers defensively on the corners, they'll presumably move Cabrera to 1st base where his range won't hurt them as much). They may take a minor offensive hit imediately, but Fielder wasn't that good last season anyway and you can bet the Tigers will be out looking for a bat the rest of this offseason now.

The Tigers are still winning the Central with ease in 2014.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2013, 10:20 PM

Disagree.

It was a salary dump. They got rid of Prince for a guy who will likely give them no more than what Omar Infante gave them last year. The only thing they did is offload his contract so they can make the same mistake with Cabrera.

Their contract with Miggy takes him through his age 32 season. That's a perfect time to cut bait. And in reality, they are saving money by creating a hole. Who plays third for them next year? Castellanos played the entire year in the OF.

KC_Connection
11-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Disagree.

It was a salary dump. They got rid of Prince for a guy who will likely give them no more than what Omar Infante gave them last year. The only thing they did is offload his contract so they can make the same mistake with Cabrera.

It's only a true salary dump if you don't plan on using that money in an alternative way (although even if it was, the Tigers are clearly good enough to take the short term hit). And there are much better ways to spend that money than on a declining DH as he enters his 30s.

Their contract with Miggy takes him through his age 32 season. That's a perfect time to cut bait.

I don't entirely disagree there, you might be right about that. But I'd probably be more willing to give out a huge contract to a HOF hitting talent like Cabrera than Prince Fielder. He's the kind of special talent who just might keep going for a while.

And in reality, they are saving money by creating a hole. Who plays third for them next year? Castellanos played the entire year in the OF.
Could be Castellanos, but I suspect they go out and get someone. Peralta maybe? Whoever they bring in, it's pretty certain to be a major upgrade defensively.

Hoover
11-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I heard that the Tigers paid the Rangers with 30 million in pennies….

chiefzilla1501
11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Well, the Tigers are going to eat up quite a bit of Fielder's contract. It's one of the first times in Fielder's life that he left behind something someone else can eat.

Miles
11-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Disagree.

Their contract with Miggy takes him through his age 32 season. That's a perfect time to cut bait. And in reality, they are saving money by creating a hole. Who plays third for them next year? Castellanos played the entire year in the OF.

Kinsler was somehow a 5 war player last year (good glove helped) which Price has bested only once.

veist
11-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I'd have far preferred that dipshit Dodgers fan that infects this board to have said something that sillly. Or even one of the Orioles fans.

Seriously, I'm just now coming to grips with the fact that Stephen Drew will almost certainly be a Cardinal and we've lost all leverage to make anything else happen.

I'm a little grumpy. My apologies. Next time send a Cubs fan in here to say something stupid.

I'm holding out hope for Peralta until someone else signs him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Kinsler was somehow a 5 war player last year (good glove helped) which Price has bested only once.

He was 2.5 fWAR. His career high was 7.3 in 2011.

Deberg_1990
11-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Denny McClain hinting that Fielder got traded because of domestic issues.

http://deadspin.com/denny-mclain-says-domestic-issues-drove-prince-fielde-1469185897