PDA

View Full Version : Football Whitlock - Fixing the NFL

Stinger
11-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Fixing the NFL
By Jason Whitlock
ESPN.com

I'm falling out of love with professional football. We're growing apart. She's not the same game I remember as a young man.

She's unfair, favoring the fair-haired quarterback over all others. She's codependent, controlled and manipulated by overworked and/or narcissistic referees. She's put on weight and grown soft in all the wrong places, enacting strict rules about where, when and how she can be touched when we're most intimate.

I don't want a divorce. Football loved me when no one else would. She supported me through college. She's been the backbone to my career. She never gets jealous when I sneak off with basketball, golf, the Olympics or any of the other girls. It's been a wonderful, 40-year open marriage.

But we need counseling. We need to rework our relationship. We need ideas on how to spice up our love life. Occasional trips to Vegas for a wild romp at a sports book are no longer enough.

Sunday was my breaking point. Football and I were spooning on the couch watching the New Orleans Saints and the San Francisco 49ers exchange haymakers. With the Saints down three points late and the game on the brink of climax, Ahmad Brooks shot past the right tackle, steamrolled toward Drew Brees and bear-hugged the QB at his collarbone. The ball popped loose. The 49ers recovered and seemingly salted away a well-earned victory.

I was absolutely elated. Great game. Great finish. A tough football team won a tough football game by making the toughest play. That's the game I love unconditionally.

The ref wiped out the play. He threw a flag, penalizing Brooks for hitting Brees in the neck area. The Saints went on to win the game. It was flag football. That's what we have now in the NFL, a game dominated by judgment calls from name-brand referees, a game in which you have to ask permission to touch the quarterback, a game that wants to become safer through punishment.

"Scared straight doesn't work," Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green told Showtime's "Inside the NFL." "If it did, we wouldn't have all these people in prison."

Rather than punishment, Green championed a dramatic rule change to cut down on dangerous, concussion-causing hits. He suggested rules that stipulate safeties line up much closer to the line of scrimmage and cornerbacks must play man-to-man defense.

It's a fabulous idea. It doesn't quite go far enough though.

Given the league's justified safety concerns and its investment in star QBs, football is in need of an overhaul. I love Green's concept. I just want to enhance it. And I'd love to see the NFL test out these ideas in the Pro Bowl. There's no better place to experiment on the game than in Honolulu with the world's best players as lab rats. These tests would give the Pro Bowl a significance it hasn't had for decades.

Green is right about moving safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. You ever wonder why, on average, there are more big, over-the-middle hits in the NFL than in college and high school? It's because the safeties play deeper in the pros. Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones and strong-armed quarterbacks scare the hell out of NFL defensive coordinators.

In a standard Cover 2 NFL defense, the safeties line up 14 to 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. A weenie-arm high school QB and a 4.8-40-yard-dash receiver don't strike fear. In a standard Cover 2 high school defense, the safety lines up 10 to 15 yards off the line of scrimmage. Those 5 to 10 yards make a huge difference upon impact. Less time to gather speed means less impact upon collision.

If you make Washington safety Brandon Meriweather stand 8 yards from the line at the snap, he's going to blow up far fewer receivers. NFL safeties are big, athletic, fast, smart and instinctive. Give 'em a 20-yard downhill run and they can do a lot of damage. We need to shorten their runway.

Rule No. 1: No defender can line up more than 8 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Rule No. 2: Eight defenders must line up within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I don't like Green's suggestion that corners must play man-to-man. I'm against limiting Dick LeBeau's creativity. A 76-year-old mind is a terrible thing to waste.

However, I would enact a rule that makes it much easier to play man-to-man. The game is too easy for the offense. We've yet to invent a quarterback better than John Elway. But all the rules changes have made Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and all the rest perform at Dan Marino levels.

That's not the game I love. Let's make the game fairer for defenders. Let's give the defense some tools.

Rule No. 3: Bump-and-run, physical pass coverage is allowed everywhere on the field until the ball is in the air.

No more bogus illegal contact penalties for inconsequential handsy stuff. No more ticky-tack pass interference calls. Let's make receivers fight to get off the line of scrimmage and fight to get open downfield. Let's play defense!

My next set of rule changes will be the most controversial. It's necessary. And remember, we can test these rules at the Pro Bowl.

Rule No. 4: Quarterbacks are not allowed to run the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Yep. No more running QBs. Once a quarterback steps beyond the line of scrimmage the play is dead. You don't want QBs to get hurt? Stop them from running.

Rule No. 5: The offense gets a 12th man -- a sixth blocker, a noneligible receiver.

Bringing the safeties closer to the line will make it much more difficult to run the football. Outlawing quarterbacks from running will make it much more difficult to run the football. Allowing defensive backs to play physical with receivers will make it more difficult to pass the football. How do we solve all of these issues? We give the offense an extra blocker. This will help with the running game and pass protection.

Peyton Manning will have more time to throw the football. He'll make good use of it.

Along with these changes, I propose that we take a hard look at relaxing the rules regarding hitting a QB in the head and neck areas.

Forbidding a defender from leading with his helmet to the chin and head area is a good rule. Ahmad Brooks' hit on Brees should be perfectly legal. Accidental head slaps to the helmet area are no big deal and shouldn't be penalized.

It's fine to penalize helmet/shoulder pads/body shots to a quarterback's knees. A defender should be allowed to tackle, with his hands and arms, at the QB's knees and shin.

Hitting the quarterback hard in the pocket while he is holding the football is an essential element of football. This cannot be eliminated. When a QB releases the ball, I'm all for protecting him. But we've clearly gone too far. Drew Brees is a football player. Football is supposed to hurt.

Like the rest of America, Roger Goodell and the NFL have fallen in love with a law-and-order approach to every problem. The league wants to fix its concussion problem with fines, penalties and handcuffing defenders. Punishment doesn't address root causes.

If the NFL fixes its game by massaging its rules, college and high school football will follow suit, and the game will be safer for kids. That's how we all win. That's how we get back the game we love.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10007291/whitlock-fixing-nfl-rules

scho63
11-21-2013, 01:37 PM
I like this article and can't disagree with much here.....

Katipan
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
I disagree with the mental image of him spooning anything.

B_Ambuehl
11-21-2013, 01:40 PM
A couple of those are pretty good ideas.

Hammock Parties
Rule No. 1: No defender can line up more than 8 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Rule No. 2: Eight defenders must line up within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2013/0205/20130205_124735_alexsmith_300.jpg

TEX
I like rule # 3.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Fucking terrible.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Rule No. 4: Quarterbacks are not allowed to run the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Yep. No more running QBs. Once a quarterback steps beyond the line of scrimmage the play is dead. You don't want QBs to get hurt? Stop them from running.

http://intheneutralzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/alex-smith1.jpg

Nightfyre
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
A sixth blocker? Dumb.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
The sixth blocker is unfair. Running games will explode.

Discuss Thrower
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't think a 12th man needs to be added, and if one were added it should be on defense as a nickel safety that cannot blitz and cannot be within five of the LOS and no deeper than 20 yards of the LOS.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
If you play the safeties that shallow and give the offense an extra blocker, the deep balls will go BOOM.

You cannot give one side of the ball an extra man.

Halfcan
11-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Yep the NFL needs more rules-lol They don't enforce the ones they have fairly as it is.

BlackHelicopters
11-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Whitlock and an open marriage. Ice pick please.

HemiEd
11-21-2013, 01:48 PM
:facepalm:

Just leave the game alone already. Drop all the rules that have been instituted in the last 40 years. :evil:

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm invoking the "Spirit of 76 Doctrine":

If it wasn't a rule on the field in 1976, it doesn't need to be there today.

Nightfyre
11-21-2013, 01:49 PM
All the NFL wants to do is massage its revenue by pumping up fantasy football and the associated stats. You do that by unleashing the offense.

mr. tegu
11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Rules 1 and 2 aren't horrible but limiting where players can be before the snap is just as invasive to the game as throwing too many flags. You got the team to 3rd and 20? Too bad you can't protect the first down. That is silly.

Rule 3 should be enacted for tonight's game. Allowing for more physical coverage on receivers will even the playing field. Additionally, I think a residual effect would be increased safety. If WRs aren't running free with no one near them because DBs are afraid to touch them they will be less likely to get blown up from someone else who started 10 yards away when the ball was thrown. Instead the primary defender may actually be in position to make the play.

Rules 4 and 5 are just plain stupid.

gblowfish
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Rule # 6: Fatlock can't exceed 1500 calories a day....

Jakemall
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I might be okay with rules 1 and 2, though I think they're a bit extreme. They totally remove the ability to play prevent defense.

I love rule 3.

Rules 4 and 5 do not work for me. They fundimentally change the game...which is what I thought we were trying to avoid?

Phobia
11-21-2013, 02:02 PM
The premise of the article is fine. But I'm not sure about the proposed rules changes. I am very frustrated with the ticky-tack flags and the acting that players do in order to draw a flag. I would endorse fines for football players taking a dive though. I hate that.

keg in kc
11-21-2013, 02:22 PM
That column is just loaded with dumb.

tyton75
11-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Rules 1-3 are great with maybe some minor changes.. 10 yds instead of 8..etc..
Rule 4 would work if they are really concerned about QB's getting hurt, but I don't like it particularly.

Rule 5 is just freaking retarded

vailpass
11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I usually like what JWhit had to say but in this case hell no.
As others have said, quit messing with the game. They've gone too far already...

htismaqe
11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I usually like what JWhit had to say but in this case hell no.
As others have said, quit messing with the game. They've gone too far already...

It's not going to stop. As the lawsuits continue, so too will the "tweaks" to the game.

Arena ball on a 100-yard field.

htismaqe
11-21-2013, 02:39 PM
All the NFL wants to do is massage its revenue by pumping up fantasy football and the associated stats. You do that by unleashing the offense.

Yep.

Jakemall
11-21-2013, 02:42 PM
A good time for the reinvention of the XFL?

cosmo20002
11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Proposed rules 1 - 3 are least something to think about.
Then on 4 and 5 he goes full retard.

MahiMike
11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Wow, Jason. You used to be pretty smart. This article started out well. I was getting excited...

Then he goes full retard.

mikey23545
11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Fixing the NFL
By Jason Whitlock
ESPN.com

I'm falling out of love with professional football. We're growing apart. She's not the same game I remember as a young man.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10007291/whitlock-fixing-nfl-rules

No problem...we'll tell her you hit the road, you fat ****.

MahiMike
11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm tired of them pussifying the game too. I say it's time to go the Rollerball route. Once us real fans get sick and tired of the flag football product, we could watch the RFL.

Made up of guys on death row come out and beat the crap out of each other. If the ref calls a flag, the fans vote whether to kick the refs ass....lol

Nightfyre
11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Running man, hell yes.

Predarat
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Rule # 2, first learn rule #1.

Dayze
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
They game is essentially neutered, watered down, and more often than not, not very exciting. It's become sort of a novelty to me. National games are the same group of teams nearly each week. There are the 'stars' that are endlessly pimped.

But I don't think these rules would improve a thing; probably make it worse.

Ace Gunner
11-21-2013, 03:29 PM
ho li fook jwhit did a nice job with this -- fully onboard and think this will make the game more of what I like -- contact and without the bonecrushing, but still good contact :D

Hoover
11-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Good

Rule No. 3: Bump-and-run, physical pass coverage is allowed everywhere on the field until the ball is in the air.

Interesting

Either this or stop treating them like little girls.

Dumb

So much for the prevent D

Rule No. 5: The offense gets a 12th man -- a sixth blocker, a noneligible receiver.

Really dumb

BWillie
11-21-2013, 04:01 PM
I'd like to get rid of the running into the kicker penalty. Or it should be more aptly called I almost blocked the field goal but the poor little kicker landed on my head and fell down. He might have got hurt, poor kicker.

Easy 6
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Rules schmules, no more rules and as a matter of fact, they need to start walking back some of the rules they've come up with the last three years.

Fans hate most of them as do the players, even the former jock talking heads who used to be offensive guys are saying the rules are too skewed towards offense and that its hurting the game.

headsnap
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
The premise of the article is fine. But I'm not sure about the proposed rules changes. I am very frustrated with the ticky-tack flags and the acting that players do in order to draw a flag. I would endorse fines for football players taking a dive though. I hate that.

:hmmm:

now the London move is starting to make sense....

Eleazar
11-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't think these would fix anything.

There's a fallacy here, borne out of the play Whitlock saw and used as his example. The fallacy is that the player hitting the player who sustains a concussion needs time to gather up all the speed it takes to cause a concussion.

That's simply not true. People get concussions every day from the acceleration between their head and the floor when they fall down, and that's not usually even unbroken acceleration. There are a million tiny variables in how concussions occur and they are different in every collision. A defensive back and his shoulder can be only 5 yards away from a defenseless receiver and still lay a devastating hit, because of the opposing forces involved. And I'm also sure that lots of offensive linemen have concussions, and no one is generally running up and blasting them from 20 yards away.

I'm sure that what Whitlock would say is, "reducing the speed of colliding players will, in par, reduce concussions." That's certainly true. As the force with which your head impacts something increases, the probability of sustaining an injury approaches 1.

But isn't this the strategy the NFL is using that we are all complaining about? That if A would reduce concussions, then we can't do enough A?

Why don't we do things that keep the integrity of the game and still protect brains, like increase the thickness and material of helmet padding, or add padding to the exterior of the shoulderpads as well?

I think the play he chose was a bad example, because it was a ticky-tack helmet to helmet call, and in using it he reached a conclusion that's only somewhat true.

What we should really see is someone do a study where the look at every concussion or possible concussion and attempt to catalog what happens in each case where an injury results or doesn't.

I think that ham-fisted attempts to solve this problem have resulted in the flag-football NFL we have today, and another dart at the wall isn't going to help.

vailpass
11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
It's not going to stop. As the lawsuits continue, so too will the "tweaks" to the game.

Arena ball on a 100-yard field.

*sigh*

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2013, 04:50 PM
The NFL's target audience is not traditional football fans anymore, and it hasn't been for nearly a decade.

Dayze
11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I loathe fantasy football. there's such a glaring difference between NCAA and NFL. Yeah, the talent is different obviously, but there isn't the non-stop hype for fantasy college football.

Bugeater
11-21-2013, 05:17 PM
The NFL's target audience is not traditional football fans anymore, and it hasn't been for nearly a decade.
Seems to me it's targeted to fantasy dorks more than anything.

Contrarian
11-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I just want the last five minutes of the game for teams not to be able to run the clock out. After a play the clock stops. No more milking the clock crap at the end of the game and wasting useless timeouts while the other team kneels on it.

jettio
11-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Even if Brooks was not called for a penalty that he did commit. The Saints had 3 timeouts and there was more than 2 minutes left in the game.

I think the only rule is that writers should stop writing imagination articles proposing new rules based on a contention that there are new rules that they do not like.

I think PCP use and/or LSD use is involved with boring imagination articles like this.

Eleazar
11-21-2013, 07:00 PM
I loathe fantasy football. there's such a glaring difference between NCAA and NFL. Yeah, the talent is different obviously, but there isn't the non-stop hype for fantasy college football.

It probably has to do with Missouri football becoming a lot more interesting since the late 90s, but I always considered the NFL my first sport.

But something has been drained from the NFL over the last decade, though. I don't know if it's the rule changes, or the way the media covers the league like it's TMZ and not football, or... what. Certainly, the Chiefs' utter futility for the last decade has played a part.

But for some reason as years go by I keep finding college football becoming more interesting to me and the NFL somewhat less.

Maybe it's "good old days" thinking, but it seems like defense and the running game were so important in the past. Now the league is almost entirely about the quarterback and the passing game.

I think I liked the NFL I grew up with more. :hmmm: :shrug:

Saul Good
11-21-2013, 07:19 PM
I would like to see 1-4 implemented in the preseason just to see what happens. Number 5 is terrible.

As far as number 4 goes, maybe the QB has to announce himself as an eligible runner if he wants to run the ball. In so doing, he waives the special protections afforded to QBs.

T-post Tom
11-21-2013, 07:21 PM
...when I sneak off with basketball, golf, the Olympics or any of the other girls.

Golf? Really? Have you written one thing about golf that didn't include Tiger Woods and/or racial issues? Nothing wrong with discussing T.W. or racial issues. But seriously, what do you know about golf?

HonestChieffan
11-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Jwhit bullshit looking for a way to be relevant

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Seems to me it's targeted to fantasy dorks more than anything.

It's targeted to people who don't like football. Much like a cell phone or television provider that attempts to grow its base by throwing out great introductory deals while ignoring core customers, the NFL has been focused on flashing lights, production values, and higher scores in an attempt to bleed off business from other major sports and gain the attention of the casual to apathetic sports fan who thinks that the only meritorious plays are ones that end in scores or big gains.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I think this proposal SUCKS.

cdcox
11-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm invoking the "Spirit of 66 Doctrine":

If it wasn't a rule on the field in 1966, it doesn't need to be there today.

FYP

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/FredWilliamsonJun10.jpg

CoMoChief
11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2013/0205/20130205_124735_alexsmith_300.jpg

ROFL

just what i was thinking myself.

well played

CoMoChief
11-21-2013, 09:49 PM
I think this proposal SUCKS.

So does Alex Smith

alpha_omega
11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Meh.

Dayze
11-21-2013, 11:44 PM
It probably has to do with Missouri football becoming a lot more interesting since the late 90s, but I always considered the NFL my first sport.

But something has been drained from the NFL over the last decade, though. I don't know if it's the rule changes, or the way the media covers the league like it's TMZ and not football, or... what. Certainly, the Chiefs' utter futility for the last decade has played a part.

But for some reason as years go by I keep finding college football becoming more interesting to me and the NFL somewhat less.

Maybe it's "good old days" thinking, but it seems like defense and the running game were so important in the past. Now the league is almost entirely about the quarterback and the passing game.

I think I liked the NFL I grew up with more. :hmmm: :shrug:

well stated; 10000% agree to a 'T'

|Zach|
11-22-2013, 12:29 AM
That would make it harder to foster a league who only cares about TV revenue and fantasy football.

How much ad time was sandwiched on each side of the football play he references I wonder.

11-22-2013, 06:19 AM
That would make it harder to foster a league who only cares about TV revenue and fantasy football.

How much ad time was sandwiched on each side of the football play he references I wonder.

Yep. Injury? chaching
OH, the coach won his first two challenges. Chaching
That means he has a third challenge. chaching
7 touchdowns in a game all questionable. chaching

Nzoner
11-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Looks like Jason had money on the 49er's.

Dayze
11-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Yep. Injury? chaching

extra point; chaching
kickoff; chaching
punt; chaching.

I pretty much can't watch any game live anymore if I can help it. I record them, and go on media lock-down.

whoman69
11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Had me until rule 4. Rule 5 is dumb as well. They really need to do something to bring the balance back to the game. This is as good a start as any.

htismaqe
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
It's targeted to people who don't like football. Much like a cell phone or television provider that attempts to grow its base by throwing out great introductory deals while ignoring core customers, the NFL has been focused on flashing lights, production values, and higher scores in an attempt to bleed off business from other major sports and gain the attention of the casual to apathetic sports fan who thinks that the only meritorious plays are ones that end in scores or big gains.

:bravo:

Chess is boring.

|Zach|
11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Yep. Injury? chaching

And the horrible...long ass series of commercials ---> Single kick off play ---> commercial

KCTitus
11-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Jason touches on what I think is the real issue, but dances around it a bit. I do think that the referees ability to make the ticky tack calls for teams to win/lose games does seem to have gone too far. I do think it's the third 'team' on the field that does directly impact the game and it's been evident for years.

Penalties or lack thereof is no more evident than when the playoff games begin. It's remarkable how there isnt a major call that impacts the game that happens in the playoffs. Very few, but the most blatant penalties are called.

They have become 'stars' just as much as the players and it was born out during last years strike. Games seemed to be called much more evenly because it didnt seem that the 'agenda' was in effect. KC's win against New Orleans last year, was a comeback win after being 18 points down. That had never happened by KC...and while KC had to use all of its challenges to fix bad calls, they did come back to win. That would *not* happen with today's referees.

Many people hated the replacement refs, but I found their lack of supporting only the 'favorites' refreshing, frankly.

KC's run this year has not been hampered by penalty killing drives or for the other team penalty saving drives. I've wondered when this would change and it will be interesting to see just how much benefit of the doubt KC gets coming into the home stretch. I dont mind the losses as long as it's the opposing team that does it and not the referees.

The rules proposed are silly...remove the rules that give the referees too much discretion to save the team that's 'supposed' to win the game.

That said, I think it's all pissing in the wind. This game is either not going to exist or it will be a shell of itself within a generation.

Chiefshrink
11-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm invoking the "Spirit of 76 Doctrine":

If it wasn't a rule on the field in 1976, it doesn't need to be there today.

I actually agree with you on this:thumb:

ClevelandBronco
11-22-2013, 06:37 PM
They could stop letting big guys and/or fast guys play.

GloryDayz
11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
It's a start.