PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Home of the Chiefs outside Arrowhead?

Rain Man
11-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Seriously? People do this? This should just be an Arrowhead thing, in my opinion. It makes no sense outside Arrowhead, other than road games, of course. (I did it at the game in Denver last week.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/self-home-chiefs-during-anthem-202154143--ncaab.html

Self: Give up 'home of Chiefs' during anthem
1 hour ago
AP - Sports

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas coach Bill Self wants fans to quit yelling ''Chiefs'' at the end of the national anthem before games that the Jayhawks play at historic Allen Fieldhouse.

Fans of the nearby NFL franchise traditionally bellow ''Chiefs'' rather than ''brave,'' the final word in the national anthem, before games played at Arrowhead Stadium. But for some reason, many do the same thing before games played in other area venues.

Among them are Allen Fieldhouse and Kauffman Stadium, the home of the Royals.

Self said Monday that ''out of respect for what it really stands for and the men and women that have sacrificed so much, I think that we should stay true to what it is.''

Other local coaches have made similar pleas over the years.

gblowfish
11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
They should yell "BAWK" instead....

ptlyon
11-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Self needs to replace his tampon and pop a few Midol

Dayze
11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
yeah; it's retarded.

doubly-secret-probation retarded when done by the Jets.

Halfcan
11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
The did it at the Mavs game on Saturday.

Captain Obvious
11-25-2013, 03:37 PM
It may not be lyrically accurate, but it is historically accurate...

Rain Man
11-25-2013, 03:38 PM
It may not be lyrically accurate, but it is historically accurate...

I never thought about it that way. It kind of offsets the whole "took your country and now have a caricature of your culture ride across the field after touchdowns" thing.

Bl00dyBizkitz
11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm with Self, kinda. Idk how he feels about people yelling "Home of the CHIEFS" at Arrowhead, but it's a Chiefs thing, do it at Chiefs events.

Predarat
11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
It was very audible when they were in Nashville playing the Titans. The Chiefs fans were out in force and loud and proud. The Wichita Thunder tried to imitate it yelling home of the "Thunder" at their home games, not sure if they still do that at the new arena, but they did it in the mid/late 90s at the Kansas Coliseum.

Rain Man
11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
It was very audible when they were in Nashville playing the Titans. The Chiefs fans were out in force and loud and proud. The Wichita Thunder tried to imitate it yelling home of the "Thunder" at their home games, not sure if they still do that at the new arena, but they did it in the mid/late 90s at the Kansas Coliseum.

I don't think it works with a two-syllable name at all. You belt out Thun and then get left hanging by the band.

CrazyPhuD
11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
It's funny when they do it in Oakland!

BlackHelicopters
11-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I thought Self was post-menopausal and didn't bleed any more.

lewdog
11-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Where is the option, "at your mom's house."

Eleazar
11-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Any event involving the Chiefs anywhere, or any event in Kansas City.

It's funny that Self has his panties in a twist about it though.

rageeumr
11-25-2013, 04:08 PM
I have been to several running events when a large faction of people yelled "CHIEFS!" at the end of the end of the national anthem. It's just odd to me.

Predarat
11-25-2013, 04:09 PM
At KState Wildcats games each season ticket holder gets 2 vouchers for free hotdogs. Bill Snyder has a rule that if a fan is heard doing this during the Anthem, an usher is supposed to report the seat number to the ticket office, and that person only gets 1 hot dog voucher.

Rain Man
11-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Where is the option, "at your mom's house."

For your mom, I assumed that option was included in "any sporting event anywhere".

hometeam
11-25-2013, 04:14 PM
who gives a shit.

Rain Man
11-25-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised that there aren't more people who feel that it's unacceptable in any situation. I think we have some homerism going on, myself included.

LiveSteam
11-25-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised that there aren't more people who feel that it's unacceptable in any situation. I think we have some homerism going on, myself included.

If you were in the Sand box,Nam,Korea,WWII,WWI, Its probably unacceptable to the 'majority of them.
I DON'T like it. But I'm not going to raise a stink about it. I have no problem with Self on this either.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
At KState Wildcats games each season ticket holder gets 2 vouchers for free hotdogs. Bill Snyder has a rule that if a fan is heard doing this during the Anthem, an usher is supposed to report the seat number to the ticket office, and that person only gets 1 hot dog voucher.

in 14 years of attending nearly every KSU home football game, I've heard maybe half dozen people shout it. It's not very common.

Bugeater
11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm even more surprised that more people haven't picked the last option. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Bugeater
11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
in 14 years of attending nearly every KSU home football game, I've heard maybe half dozen people shout it. It's not very common.
That's because they're worried about losing one of their hot dogs.

Donger
11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
It shouldn't happen anywhere.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
That's because they're worried about losing one of their hot dogs.

I want a hot dog. :(

Deberg_1990
11-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Self isnt wrong. It is disrespectful.

He is wrong if he thinks he can get people to stop doing it.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Poor Beakers

Pasta Little Brioni
11-25-2013, 05:29 PM

ROFL

unlurking
11-25-2013, 05:29 PM
It's worse in Baltimore.

wazu
11-25-2013, 05:31 PM

If you cared nothing for the Chiefs, but simply wanted to find a stadium where a huge majority of fans make it a point to be in their seats before the national anthem, waiting with anticipation for it, and then cheering wildly in celebration at it's climactic end, you could find no better place than Arrowhead on game day.

Can't imagine why anybody would want to squash that expression of joy and passion being tied to our country's national anthem.

But yeah, it's kinda dumb anywhere else.

LiveSteam
11-25-2013, 05:57 PM

this

LiveSteam
11-25-2013, 06:02 PM
If you cared nothing for the Chiefs, but simply wanted to find a stadium where a huge majority of fans make it a point to be in their seats before the national anthem, waiting with anticipation for it, and then cheering wildly in celebration at it's climactic end, you could find no better place than Arrowhead on game day.

I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos Nub fan is the best that's ever been.

BWillie
11-25-2013, 06:54 PM
If you are a Chiefs fan, I say do it at any sporting event, anywhere there is. Chiefs pride baby

FloridaMan88
11-25-2013, 06:55 PM
National Anthem singers trying to turn the Anthem into an American Idol audition is far more annoying than saying "Chiefs" at the end.

Predarat
11-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Sounds like Snyders idea to stop it is working. Maybe Self should implement a similar plan.

stonedstooge
11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Self needs to say that Wickedson promotes saying Chiefs. That'll put a stop to it

cosmo20002
11-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Seriously? People do this? This should just be an Arrowhead thing, in my opinion. It makes no sense outside Arrowhead, other than road games, of course. (I did it at the game in Denver last week.)

I don't think I've ever been to an event in the KC area where the anthem was played and some people didn't do the CHIEFS thing.

cosmo20002
11-25-2013, 08:07 PM
If you were in the Sand box,Nam,Korea,WWII,WWI, Its probably unacceptable to the 'majority of them.
I DON'T like it. But I'm not going to raise a stink about it.
I have no problem with Self on this either.

This is not allowed.

2bikemike
11-25-2013, 08:42 PM

I have been to several Chiefs/Chargers games in San Diego in the 90's, it was not uncommon
To have a few thousand Chiefs fans screaming home of the CHIEFS!

InChiefsHeaven
11-25-2013, 08:56 PM
National Anthem singers trying to turn the Anthem into an American Idol audition is far more annoying than saying "Chiefs" at the end.

Bingo!

InChiefsHeaven
11-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Arrowhead is the Home of the Chiefs. Why would you say it somewhere else? That's just dumb...

Ace Gunner
11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
you can't stop awesome

Redcoats58
11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll stop saying it at Arrowhead when they start giving season ticket holders free hot dog vouchers.

Kidd Lex
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I was at the Iona game last Tuesday in the field house and it was mildly uncomfortable when 75% yelled Chiefs. I'm not surprised Self expressed these concerns.

Strongside
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I'll never stop saying it at Arrowhead. I never, however, say it anywhere else.

As for KU, if you can't get your students to stop yelling "Rip his fucking head off!" every time there is a kickoff at the home football games, do you really think you can get them to stop doing this?

pr_capone
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Self said Monday that ''out of respect for what it really stands for and the men and women that have sacrificed so much, I think that we should stay true to what it is.''

As one of those men... kindly shut the fuck up Bill. I don't like it when "Chiefs" is yelled at non Chiefs events but don't make it about "the men and women who have sacrificed so much". 99.5% of the people I hear bitching about "the home of the chiefs" and how disrespectful it is to the military... haven't worn the damn uniform.

Self not liking it in his arena... I get. Making it about something other than what it is... is chickenshit.

ClevelandBronco
11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
It may the most annoying local tradition ever to leave the national anthem IN-COM-PLETE!!! (waah, waah, waaaaaah).

MrNightly
11-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Heck, when driving down the road in my car, and I hear the National Anthem, I always bellow out a loud, "CHIEFS..." at the end.

Then I look around sheepishly and see if anyone else heard me if the windows were down.

cdcox
11-25-2013, 09:40 PM
It shouldn't happen anywhere.

You never hear anyone complaining about the Atlanta baseball team. What's fair for one is fair for all.

Saulbadguy
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Confirmed.

Demonpenz
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
There is this dude with one eye with a cane that always gives me a dumb look when I say it at Jayhawk games. He sucks.

alnorth
11-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Its fine in Arrowhead, and marginal at road NFL games.

If you say it anywhere outside of an NFL game involving the Chiefs, then you are a moron.

Silock
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I was at the Iona game last Tuesday in the field house and it was mildly uncomfortable when 75% yelled Chiefs. I'm not surprised Self expressed these concerns.

It was nowhere near 75%. Maybe around where you were sitting, but it was barely audible compared to what it was two years ago.

11-26-2013, 04:03 AM
Speaking of the National Anthem. It sure was nice to hear it sung as written at Arrowhead this week. Very well done.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Why doesn't anyone ever sing the other verses to the Star-Spangled Banner?

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Katipan
11-26-2013, 07:30 AM
It's kind of sad we have a national anthem the majority of the population can't sing well.

That being said, I don't yell Chiefs outside of an NFL game, but I sure do think it.

BigBeauford
11-26-2013, 07:40 AM
I don't mind it. It's easier to spot out the white trash rednecks this way.

Old Dog
11-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Voted for A,B, and C

Dayze
11-26-2013, 08:28 AM

You are 100% correct. You may pass go and collect $100.

Just sing the song as it was meant to be, and GTFO. We're not buying whatever album you're pimping.

Kidd Lex
11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
It was nowhere near 75%. Maybe around where you were sitting, but it was barely audible compared to what it was two years ago.

I was behind the student section under the Championship banners, it was loud enough to be uncomfortable, percentages be what they may. There is a reason Self brought it up, have to imagine it's worse during the Chiefs winning seasons.

LiveSteam
11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I'll stop saying it at Arrowhead when they start giving season ticket holders free hot dog vouchers.

LMAO

Mr. Laz
11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Any event involving the Chiefs anywhere, or any event in Kansas City.

It's funny that Self has his panties in a twist about it though.Self is from Oklahoma, not KC.

born in Ok,played in OK,coached in OK(x3)

makes a difference

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Anyone voting it's never acceptable...should be banned. Just sayin'.

BigRedChief
11-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Me and OTWP58 made the trip over to Indy in 2006. There were a lot of Chief fans there. The "Chiefs" was heard very loudly. The people around us were aghast. They were not stuckup fans. They didn't understand how we would change the words of the national anthem. Their honesty effected us. We thought we should give up "chiefs" outside of Arrowhead.

I was a long time season ticket holder. The only time I ever shouted "brave" instead of "chiefs" and cheered the visitors coming out onto the field was the NY Giants. It was the first game post 9/11.

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Me and OTWP58 made the trip over to Indy in 2006. There were a lot of Chief fans there. The "Chiefs" was heard very loudly. The people around us were aghast. They were not stuckup fans. They didn't understand how we would change the words of the national anthem. Their honesty effected us. We thought we should give up "chiefs" outside of Arrowhead.

I was a long time season ticket holder. The only time I ever shouted "brave" instead of "chiefs" and cheered the visitors coming out onto the field was the NY Giants. It was the first game post 9/11.

That was the magical day when we met.