PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smith can carry Kansas City

Pages : [1] 2

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Call him a game manager if you want, but Alex Smith has a history of rising to the occasion.

For all the questions hovering around the Kansas City Chiefs right now -- many of which center around their suddenly fragile defense and a two-game losing streak that has their critics saying "I told you so" -- there is still hope for this team to win the AFC West. It comes in the form of an offense that is showing real signs of improvement. It exists in the standings, where the Denver Broncos' loss in New England sets up a showdown for first place in Arrowhead Stadium this Sunday. Most importantly, it is resting on the shoulders of a quarterback who needs to play his best football of the season as the Chiefs near their stretch run.

The Chiefs didn't trade for Alex Smith this offseason solely because they wanted a smart game manager who wouldn't kill their offense with turnovers. They acquired him because they needed a quarterback who knows how to win. Sometimes that requires him to do what he's done for most of this season: throw the safe pass, make the key play when necessary and use his feet to keep the chains moving when his arm can't get the job done. These days it means Smith has to show people more of what he revealed in Sunday's 41-38 loss to San Diego -- that he can elevate his game when his team is in dire straits.

Andy Reid relied on the Chiefs' defense during a 9-0 streak, but Alex Smith will need to shoulder more of the load moving forward.
If there is an upside for the Chiefs in a loss that most players on that roster described as being more painful than their 27-17 defeat in Week 11, it's that Smith carried the offense to its most impressive performance of the season. He completed 26 of 38 passes for 294 yards. He threw three touchdowns and one interception. He also kept Kansas City in a shootout long after its once-dominant defense had lost its two best pass-rushers, outside linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston, to injuries.

It's important to remember that effort for two reasons. The first is that Kansas City will need Smith to be at his best for the remainder of this season. A defense that had terrorized opponents as the Chiefs opened the year with nine consecutive wins is now incapable of consistent tackling, game-turning plays or even the relentless pressure that had been its calling card. The Chiefs' strategy used to involve doing everything possible to let their defense win games. Now they can only hope to protect that unit until its best playmakers heal.

The second reason is more telling. Smith came out firing one week after playing poorly in the loss to Denver. He completed only 21 of 45 passes in that contest and looked largely incapable of igniting an offense that needed a big play in the worst way. The whispers around Kansas City already had been that Smith didn't have enough gunslinger in him to take the Chiefs where they needed to go. Those whispers morphed into unmistakable shouts before the Chargers game kicked off.

The truth is that Smith does have plenty of mental toughness for the position. His record in games he's started over the last three season backs that up -- his teams have gone 30-8-1 in those contests -- and his ability to bounce back from adversity says even more. The Chiefs are at a stretch of the season when they're about to find out if they're as resilient as they really believe. That revelation will only arise if Smith is asked to do exactly what he did against San Diego.

"Certainly after any loss you have two choices," Smith said after Sunday's loss. "You look at it, and it's tough. You are critical of yourself and you get better from it -- and you get ready for the next game -- or you can sit and sulk and not move past it. I kind of feel like that is it. You know [at] 9-2, there's a lot of season left, and a lot can happen."

Even when taking into consideration that the Chargers have one of the worst defenses in the league, the Kansas City offense looked -- dare we say it -- potent for the first time all season. When Smith wasn't finding wide receivers downfield, Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles was slashing and darting for 115 yards and two touchdowns. An offensive line that had lost two starters to injuries also was doing its part. The Chargers had three sacks for the game, but Smith often had plenty of time to attack the feeble San Diego secondary.

NFL Playoff Machine

Check current playoff seedings and figure scenarios through the end
of the season. Playoff Machine

As much as people belittle Smith's skills, he can play at that level he showed against San Diego more consistently. It's just that somewhere along his roller-coaster career, he decided the best way to help his team was by not hurting it. It's not until he's been faced with big moments that he's shown the ability to deliver the clutch play. By not doing that more frequently, it's made people forget that avoiding errors isn't the only way he's helped his teams in the past.

When Smith helped the 49ers go 13-3 in 2011, his career-defining game came in a divisional playoff win over New Orleans. Smith made two plays late in that contest to give San Francisco the lead -- one on a 28-yard touchdown run, the other on a 14-yard, game-winning scoring pass to tight end Vernon Davis. He also didn't whine when he lost his job to Colin Kaepernick midway through last season. Smith kept his mouth shut and then opened this season by helping the Chiefs start 9-0. The 49ers, on the other hand, are now largely employing the same conservative offensive approach they used with Smith now that Kaepernick is facing his own struggles.

Not that you'd ever hear Smith bring that stuff up. He clearly put San Francisco behind him the minute he landed in Kansas City, and so far, his best contributions have come through his leadership and efficiency. He brought credibility to the position simply by not being Matt Cassel or Brady Quinn. His honeymoon lasted longer than most because the Chiefs had an effective formula for amassing victories.

Those days have officially ended in Kansas City. The Chiefs are now like every other team contending for a playoff spot -- they're coping with injuries and hoping to play their best football in December. The good news for Kansas City is that it faces four more teams (Denver, Oakland, Washington and San Diego) with defenses that can be exploited. The better news for the Chiefs will be if Smith can keep reminding people that there's still more to him than what Kansas City already has seen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10037620/alex-smith-capable-carrying-chiefs

ptlyon
11-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Blow it out your ass, Howard

Pablo
11-26-2013, 03:35 PM
We'll get a chance to see.

Still skeptical at this point.

BlackHelicopters
11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Missouri is the Show Me State.

tredadda
11-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Oh snap, a thread that does not involve or is not based around a Twitter feed. What is the world coming to?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-26-2013, 03:43 PM
We just gotta remember where we were at this time last year.

Life is good.

Pablo
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
We just gotta remember where we were at this time last year.

Life is good.We just gotta remember that our defense played at a historic level for the first half of the season and this is our best shot to do anything since forever.

Life isn't that good.

We aren't getting 6 second string QB's in a row next year.

Capitalize now or forever regret that this season was wasted.

Alex is most likely going to be the determining factor whether this season was a failure or success.

mschiefs1984
11-26-2013, 03:47 PM
If he does what he did last Sunday this week then a lot more people will buy in

Pablo
11-26-2013, 03:48 PM
If he does what he did last Sunday this week then a lot more people will buy inWell, yeah.

Unfortunately a lot of the tape on him shows him pants-shitting in a Cassel like manner.

If he plays like he did last week for the rest of the year and our defense shows a little testicular fortitude; then we're SB contenders.

mr. tegu
11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
http://poderesunidos.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/i-want-to-believe.jpg

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
We just gotta remember that our defense played at a historic level for the first half of the season and this is our best shot to do anything since forever.

Life isn't that good.

Alex is most likely going to be the determining factor whether this season was a failure or success.

We bounced back from a 2-14 season to at the bare minimum a winning record. Quite a few people on here predicted at best a .500 team, barring anything crazy we are getting in the playoffs.

Expecting to win the superbowl the year after finishing as the worst in the league is, at best, an ignorant standard to define success or failure.

Pablo
11-26-2013, 04:04 PM
We bounced back from a 2-14 season to at the bare minimum a winning record. Quite a few people on here predicted at best a .500 team, barring anything crazy we are getting in the playoffs.

Expecting to win the superbowl the year after finishing as the worst in the league is, at best, an ignorant standard to define success or failure.Settling for another first round playoff bouncing when we've been the beneficiary of an incredibly easy schedule and tremendous defensive effort is foolhardy.

You don't have to adhere to pre-season expectations when the team is 9-2.

Let me guess, you expect we'll set ourselves up for a #1 seed in a weak AFC sometime soon again?

CrazyPhuD
11-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Matt Cassel carried the chiefs to the 1st overall pick....the question is, can Alex Smith carry them to the 32nd overall pick? Or will it be the 33rd again?

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Settling for another first round playoff bouncing when we've been the beneficiary of an incredibly easy schedule and tremendous defensive effort is foolhardy.

Let me guess, you expect we'll set ourselves up for a #1 seed in a weak AFC sometime soon again?

You seem to correlate winning against teams we should beat as proof that we are capable of beating teams that we shouldn't.

If the stars align, perhaps. However, it will be an anomaly and not the norm. Therefore, I reiterate my previous statement by clarifying: Expecting an anomaly to be the end result and declaring the season a failure if it doesn't happen is a silly expectation.

MahiMike
11-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I believe! I've also been saying this for 2 weeks. I didn't expect the defense to tank like it has so fast but I truly expected shootouts with Broncos and Chargers. This game will have as many points as last week and Alex will play a huge roll.

Tribal Warfare
11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/didnt-read-lol-gif-13.gif

hometeam
11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
zzzzzz

tredadda
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/didnt-read-lol-gif-13.gif

For whatever reason that video is creepy.

Baby Lee
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
We just gotta remember that our defense played at a historic level for the first half of the season and this is our best shot to do anything since forever.

Life isn't that good.

Not if last Sunday's D is a sign of things to come. Even a little bit more of that in the future and it's already over.

RealSNR
11-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Expecting to win the superbowl the year after finishing as the worst in the league is, at best, an ignorant standard to define success or failure.

When do standards and expectations change? Is it season-by-season? Can't expectations change throughout a season?

The Rams in 1999 were 4-12 the previous year and lost their starting QB. Would it have been acceptable for them to lose in the divisional round of the playoffs that year? Just because they were 4-12 the year before?

Fuck last year's record. This is a new team, and if they have the ability to win in the playoffs, then they fucking should.

Baby Lee
11-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Not half as creepy as this

NSFW: Violence

<iframe width="590" height="332" src="http://launch.newsinc.com/?type=VideoPlayer/Default&widgetId=1&trackingGroup=69016&siteSection=ndn&videoId=25383292" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" noresize marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>

mcaj22
11-26-2013, 04:22 PM
i do expect a team that's been "rebuilding" with top draft picks since 2008 to ya know, compete for the playoffs and super bowl by year 5, 6, etc. Not reset the clock at year 1 and make it a fucking 8 year rebuild in separate 4 year increments. That makes no sense from a turnaround perspective.

ceebz
11-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Good fucking lord, when has AS ever, in his nine year career, showed that he can carry a team?

Chadiha is a fucking moron.

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:24 PM
When do standards and expectations change? Is it season-by-season? Can't expectations change throughout a season?

The Rams in 1999 were 4-12 the previous year and lost their starting QB. Would it have been acceptable for them to lose in the divisional round of the playoffs that year? Just because they were 4-12 the year before?

**** last year's record. This is a new team, and if they have the ability to win in the playoffs, then they ****ing should.

Truer words have never been spoken, however, that remains to be seen. I have seen us beat up bad teams, which is a start. I have yet to see us beat up a good team. Bad teams aren't in the playoffs, good teams are.

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:29 PM
i do expect a team that's been "rebuilding" with top draft picks since 2008 to ya know, compete for the playoffs and super bowl by year 5, 6, etc. Not reset the clock at year 1 and make it a ****ing 8 year rebuild in separate 4 year increments. That makes no sense from a turnaround perspective.

I agree wholeheartedly. If Haley and Pioli were here I would totally expect a competing team. The fact that they didn't provide that is why they are gone.

Hell, 2 of those draft picks aren't even with the team anymore and 1 of them was mediocre at best. The other an epic bust.

This is year 1 of a rebuild. For christ sakes we've turned over half the roster in the off season.

ChiefsCountry
11-26-2013, 04:33 PM
This is year 1 of a rebuild. For christ sakes we've turned over half the roster in the off season.

Horse shit. We have been rebuilding since 2008. The stud players are in their prime. We are in win now mode.

AlexSmithDynasty
11-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Alex Smith put da team on his back doo

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Horse shit. We have been rebuilding since 2008. The stud players are in their prime. We are in win now mode.

Who was in charge of that rebuild? Could you consider it a success? Do we have different schemes, coaches, general managers, offensive/defensive philosophies then we've had since the "rebuild" began?

We've got a lot of key elements in their place, to be sure, but when it's the first year of a new regime from the front office down to the field and over half the guys who occupy a locker at 1 Arrowhead drive didn't occupy it last year, it is year 1 of a rebuild.

Jakemall
11-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Life isn't that good.

Interesting. Now or never after going 2 and 14? How many teams have you heard of going from last to first in the NFL? I don't think it has happened.

Red Dawg
11-26-2013, 04:45 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLMissouri is the Show Me State.

Pablo
11-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Interesting. Now or never after going 2 and 14? How many teams have you heard of going from last to first in the NFL? I don't think it has happened.Let's just go ahead and go 11-5, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs and come back next year against a real schedule. That's the formula!

We got the perfect storm of luck and talent/coaching this year. We are not getting this lucky again. The last time the Chiefs started out 9-0 with a chance to capture a #1 seed was 2003. A decade ago. We'll wait another decade to see that come around if we waste this year.

It doesn't matter if it's never been done before. It's what the Chiefs need to do this year since our play makers are just getting older and we're hitching our wagon to yet another retread QB/Coach combo.

loochy
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I know, right? I mean he sure did rise to the occasion in Denver a couple of weeks ago.

Easy 6
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
While i do believe we have an outside shot at the Bowl this year if we catch some breaks and get healthy... i also think its absolutely unfair to demand it from a team coming off 2-14, to a new regime, new QB and not enough time to build the kinda depth most Super Bowl teams have.

The more time that passes, the more i like Axl... he really seems to be finding a comfort level these days, he was chucking it against denver even if his receivers couldn't catch a cold, and he really got cocky against eggo... i like that and hope it continues.

As far as this week, yep, we're gonna need that same kinda performance to have a shot, its gonna be a veeery tough game with this hobbled defense.

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Let's just go ahead and go 11-5, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs and come back next year against a real schedule. That's the formula!

We got the perfect storm of luck and talent/coaching this year. We are not getting this lucky again. The last time the Chiefs started out 9-0 with a chance to capture a #1 seed was 2003. A decade ago. We'll wait another decade to see that come around if we waste this year.

It doesn't matter if it's never been done before. It's what the Chiefs need to do this year since our play makers are just getting older and we're hitching our wagon to yet another retread QB/Coach combo.

If you're so afraid of a "real schedule" what makes you think we'll have success in the playoffs in the first place?

Last I checked the playoffs feature a "real schedule?"

bevischief
11-26-2013, 04:56 PM
http://poderesunidos.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/i-want-to-believe.jpg

This

TomBarndtsTwin
11-26-2013, 04:57 PM
This is optimistic, but I guess we'll wait and see . . . . .

Not like we have any other choice at this point in the season.

ChiefsCountry
11-26-2013, 04:59 PM
We've got a lot of key elements in their place, to be sure, but when it's the first year of a new regime from the front office down to the field and over half the guys who occupy a locker at 1 Arrowhead drive didn't occupy it last year, it is year 1 of a rebuild.

Guess next year will be another rebuild year when they bring 20 more players in, like every team does every year.

Easy 6
11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I know, right? I mean he sure did rise to the occasion in Denver a couple of weeks ago.

His receivers sucked Schweaty Balls and his line didn't know shit from apple butter... not sure how you pin that loss on him.

Marcellus
11-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Let's just go ahead and go 11-5, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs and come back next year against a real schedule. That's the formula!

Real schedule? What 2 games different?

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Guess next year will be another rebuild year when they bring 20 more players in, like every team does every year.

Yep, every team brings in a new starting quarterback, right tackle, wide receiver, fullback, tight end, as well as a new starting defensive end, linebacker and corner out of those 20 every year and place the entire team in a new system.

Sounds like a solid recipe for a superbowl run to me.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 05:08 PM
This

No, this...

Discuss Thrower
11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Real schedule? What 2 games different?

AFC East and NFC West next season.

Marcellus
11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
AFC East and NFC West next season.

Pay attention. We were discussing 1st place schedule vs 4th place schedule.

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 05:13 PM

i'm pretty sure it's because those men are
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ha-gay-gif.gif

Discuss Thrower
11-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Pay attention. We were discussing 1st place schedule vs 4th place schedule.

Well if you want to be precise KC is likely getting a 2nd place schedule, which means games against Tennessee and Baltimore or maybe Pittsburg

Tribal Warfare
11-26-2013, 05:15 PM
i'm pretty sure it's because those men are
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ha-gay-gif.gif

hence why it was posted

Jakemall
11-26-2013, 05:19 PM

The goal is always to win the Superbowl. I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that it hasn't. However to call the season a failure if it doesn't is absurd. This season is already a success based upon the improvement.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Well if you want to be precise KC is likely getting a 2nd place schedule, which means games against Tennessee and Baltimore or maybe Pittsburg

I'm cool with that...

Rausch
11-26-2013, 05:21 PM
The goal is always to win the Superbowl. I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that it hasn't. However to call the season a failure if it doesn't is absurd. This season is already a success based upon the improvement.

Exactly. This would be the biggest 1st year turnaround in the last 20+ years...

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 05:23 PM
While i do believe we have an outside shot at the Bowl this year if we catch some breaks and get healthy... i also think its absolutely unfair to demand it from a team coming off 2-14, to a new regime, new QB and not enough time to build the kinda depth most Super Bowl teams have.

The more time that passes, the more i like Axl... he really seems to be finding a comfort level these days, he was chucking it against denver even if his receivers couldn't catch a cold, and he really got cocky against eggo... i like that and hope it continues.

As far as this week, yep, we're gonna need that same kinda performance to have a shot, its gonna be a veeery tough game with this hobbled defense.

in terms of this offense, Smiff is the least of our worries. these WR's have been talking big since Reid showed up and it's amounted to something far less than bigtime so far. I think they realized it last week after peyton's WR's showed them how it's done. Jamaal is gold, but he too has not delivered enough imo. The OL has been absolute crap and it all starts up front. They showed marked improvement last week. let's see if they can build on this going forward. then... maybe...

ThaVirus
11-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Jamaal hasn't produced enough... Heh.

Perhaps he should account for 45% of our offense's total yards instead of 35% to garner your respect?

Strongside
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Alex's #'s have been pretty good in the last 2 weeks since we've started pushing the ball down the field. He has something like a 66% completion percentage on passes over 10 yards in the last 2 weeks on PFF. I don't have an account so someone will have to verify that. I heard them talking about it on 610 earlier though.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM

Perhaps he should account for 45% of our offense's total yards instead of 35% to garner your respect?

Come the playoffs I'd love to see him hit 30 carries.

Charles is like Barry Sanders: keep feeding him - it's just a matter of time...

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 05:51 PM

this is really the CP battle cry isn't it? "Bowe has massive yards and TD's since he got here" yadda yadda yadda but it doesn't amount to squat -- it's all in losing efforts, so what really is the ****ing point.

Jamaal is one of the league leaders in drops. since his role has changed, it makes a big diff when he drops passes. the drops in the biggest game of the season were the diff and Jamaal contributed to the loss.

In Denver, our WR's and RB got schooled while Alex "pussy" Smiff was out there slingin' it, playing hard and did not give up.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 05:53 PM
In Denver, our WR's and RB got schooled while Alex "pussy" Smiff was out there slingin' it, playing hard and did not give up.

Charles averaged 4.9 yards a carry vs. that amazing Donk run D...

mcaj22
11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Who was in charge of that rebuild? Could you consider it a success? Do we have different schemes, coaches, general managers, offensive/defensive philosophies then we've had since the "rebuild" began?

the best players on this team are still the ones that have been here the last 4 years and were homegrown here

none of the new 32 players brought in are better than any of the guys that are still here from last year. not even close. who out of the "new turnover" has made an impact versus what we already have, besides Alex Smith, because of his position. The guys still carrying this team on both sides of the ball are the guys that were always here. so the roster turnover is in fact, moot.

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
actually, that is too many words for your worthless post. I should have said "35%" of what offense? 35% of a crap offense.

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Charles averaged 4.9 yards a carry vs. that amazing Donk run D...

who the fuck cares? why do you care? that offense was fucking terrible that night.

Mr. Plow
11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
this is really the CP battle cry isn't it? "Bowe has massive yards and TD's since he got here" yadda yadda yadda but it doesn't amount to squat -- it's all in losing efforts, so what really is the ****ing point.

Jamaal is one of the league leaders in drops. since his role has changed, it makes a big diff when he drops passes. the drops in the biggest game of the season were the diff and Jamaal contributed to the loss.

Doesn't Charles lead the nfl in % of his team's offense?

MTG#10
11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I dont, but I want to believe. If he even plays well enough to get us one playoff win Trent Green will no longer be my all time favorite Chief.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
actually, that is too many words for your worthless post. I should have said "35%" of what offense? 35% of a crap offense.

Where is JC in total yards by HB's?...

Rausch
11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
who the **** cares? why do you care? that offense was ****ing terrible that night.

Why didn't we run more?

Why didn't be blitz more UP THE MIDDLE? Even if you don't get to him obstruct his view and block his passing lanes. Tip passes. Create reluctance to throw those quick routes over the middle.

Why not change up your coverages?

Our pass rush, coaching, play calling, and red zone scoring was all crap...

Rausch
11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I dont, but I want to believe. If he even plays well enough to get us one playoff win Trent Green will no longer be my all time favorite Chief.

You really do set the bar low, don't you?...

mcaj22
11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Where is JC in total yards by HB's?...

he's second in the NFL behind Shady

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
the best players on this team are still the ones that have been here the last 4 years and were homegrown here

none of the new 32 players brought in are better than any of the guys that are still here from last year. not even close. who out of the "new turnover" has made an impact versus what we already have, besides Alex Smith, because of his position. The guys still carrying this team on both sides of the ball are the guys that were always here. so the roster turnover is in fact, moot.

That's just silly.

So if Matt Cassell was behind center we'd be 9-2?

Oh and I guess if it was still Dorsey there'd be no impact, or whomever the hell played corner opposite flowers last year or for that matter Cooper?

Easy 6
11-26-2013, 06:15 PM
in terms of this offense, Smiff is the least of our worries. these WR's have been talking big since Reid showed up and it's amounted to something far less than bigtime so far. I think they realized it last week after peyton's WR's showed them how it's done. Jamaal is gold, but he too has not delivered enough imo. The OL has been absolute crap and it all starts up front. They showed marked improvement last week. let's see if they can build on this going forward. then... maybe...

I agree that Axl isn't nearly the hinderance others think he is... but as far as the receivers, we have a guy who at this point in his career is best suited for #2, a midget speedster who's always been a #2 and another midget tweener with decent shiftiness and hands.

Simply put, that isn't much to work with in todays NFL, no matter how much some of them may have piped off.

As for JC... i say get off his back, when this line actually gives him a hole to run through, he exploits it to the max... the only knock i have, is that he isn't quite the natural pass catcher i thought he was.

The flashes that fooled me in the past haven't yet become consistent production, he often looks awkward making the grab.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
11-26-2013, 06:16 PM
The offense had a little tougher sleding than the D.
Still they should have been better.

mcaj22
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
That's just silly.

So if Matt Cassell was behind center we'd be 9-2?

Oh and I guess if it was still Dorsey there'd be no impact, or whomever the hell played corner opposite flowers last year or for that matter Cooper?

you are talking role players and complimentary pieces. I am talking wasting the prime years of the best impact players on the team, which would be the theory of an 8 year rebuild. Giving a pass to this year as "year 1, okay they did a great job 12-4 and a playoff loss we will get em next year in year 2!" as opposed of thinking this team has a chance to win a playoff game or two, compete in the AFC championship and maybe even the super bowl.

2008 Arizona Cardinals come to mind here.

(yes I know they had Kurt ****ing Warner but they were pissing away a lot of talent at the time, were VERY mediocre during the season. Barely got into the playoffs at 9-7 and their talent carried them to the Super Bowl.) We arent going to "barely" get into the playoffs, but people act like this season is already a success to be built off of next year when the teams fate isnt even decided yet. That the top pick talent we have been stashing since like 2008 can't carry us in the playoffs. The best players on this team are made up of a bunch of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that the Chiefs drafted, not FAs. Not the Sean Smiths and Dunta Robinsons and Donnie Averys and Quinton Demps. They are compliments to much better players. The ones that have been here losing for the last 4 years of a "rebuild"

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I agree that Axl isn't nearly the hinderance others think he is... but as far as the receivers, we have a guy who at this point in his career is best suited for #2, a midget speedster who's always been a #2 and another midget tweener with decent shiftiness and hands.

Simply put, that isn't much to work with in todays NFL, no matter how much some of them may have piped off.

As for JC... i say get off his back, when this line actually gives him a hole to run through, he exploits it to the max... the only knock i have, is that he isn't quite the natural pass catcher i thought he was.

The flashes that fooled me in the past haven't yet become consistent production, he often looks awkward making the grab.

he's fine. of the all time greats, he's one of the best pass catching RB's of all time, imo. not a thurman thomas, but not a bad pass catching RB.

but he did lead off that night in Denver with a drop that hit him in the hands and well, you best players need to lead a team through those really big games. he did not. but he does get at least one more chance to do it this season :evil:

Gravedigger
11-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Alex Smith can carry a team but he makes the same mistakes such as inaccurate throws, holding onto the ball too long and not scrambling when he needs to. Matt Cassel was the same way, he could be good, but Alex Smith has a quality that Cassel doesn't and that's the ability to rebound. He might not bring your team back to win it all the time, but he'll give it a good effort and not quit on the game when it's on the line. He brought us back to win against San Diego it's just our defense couldn't hold them and left less than a minute on the clock for him to work with. I don't blame San Diego on Alex at all.

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Why didn't we run more?

Why didn't be blitz more UP THE MIDDLE? Even if you don't get to him obstruct his view and block his passing lanes. Tip passes. Create reluctance to throw those quick routes over the middle.

I would like to see them run it more, run those stretch plays Jamaal excels in, but Reid is a different coach. his system is throw to open the run and Jamaal is a good fit imo, but the OL is really screwing it all up for the whole offense.

they did blitz up the middle, but the Denver interior OL is pretty stout and it did not work. Poe was not very good that night and I have to believe it was because those OL guys he played against are pretty good.

To me, the whole game plan was built around scoring on big pass plays and the team just did not execute. it all went downhill from there.

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
oh, and re the OP -- no, Alex Smith isn't really a QB that can "carry a team". That's not Smiff. He is smart, can orchestrate just fine, but he isn't a guy who wants to carry a team.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Poe was not very good that night and I have to believe it was because those OL guys he played against are pretty good.

No.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 06:40 PM
oh, and re the OP -- no, Alex Smith isn't really a QB that can "carry a team". That's not Smiff. He is smart, can orchestrate just fine, but he isn't a guy who wants to carry a team.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we finally agree...

Ace Gunner
11-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we finally agree...

..what color is the moon?

happy holidays from my fam to yours :thumb:

MTG#10
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
You really do set the bar low, don't you?...

We haven't won a playoff game since I was 14. Yes, yes I do.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
..what color is the moon?

Hopefully blue, very soon...

Rausch
11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
We haven't won a playoff game since I was 14. Yes, yes I do.

Fuck.

You have a good point there...

mschiefs1984
11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Alex Smith can carry a team but he makes the same mistakes such as inaccurate throws, holding onto the ball too long and not scrambling when he needs to. Matt Cassel was the same way, he could be good, but Alex Smith has a quality that Cassel doesn't and that's the ability to rebound. He might not bring your team back to win it all the time, but he'll give it a good effort and not quit on the game when it's on the line. He brought us back to win against San Diego it's just our defense couldn't hold them and left less than a minute on the clock for him to work with. I don't blame San Diego on Alex at all.

I agree with a lot of what you said but not this part.

Smith hasn't scrambled? He has a lot this season and picked up a lot of first downs with his feet.

Smith is a smarter better Cassel. Cassel's inaccurate throws a lot of the time led to picks. Smith has had far fewer of those then Cassel did.

TribalElder
11-26-2013, 08:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YgOAGwL.gif

GOB
11-26-2013, 09:16 PM

Do you think football is tennis? Teams that get carried by their QB's done win superbowls. Peyton Manning has 8 one and done's in the playoffs.

It's a team game. Last game I checked, Alex sure looked the part of a guy carrying a team. But we still lost the game due to freak injuries and some poor clock management at the end.

For a team to win a SB, all aspects of the TEAM have to be doing their part and carrying each other. Which is what we looked like pretty much all year.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 09:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YgOAGwL.gif

That's pretty much Rausch for the whole season...

Rausch
11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Do you think football is tennis? Teams that get carried by their QB's done win superbowls. Peyton Manning has 8 one and done's in the playoffs.

It's a team game. Last game I checked, Alex sure looked the part of a guy carrying a team.

And right there is where you lost me...

Mr. Laz
11-26-2013, 09:51 PM
He certainly played well against the Dolts.

as long as that continues

Ragged Robin
11-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Fix the handful of boneheaded mistakes/drops by receivers that we seem to have EVERY GAME and Alex will look better.

cdcox
11-27-2013, 12:56 AM
This is a weird thread. The same people that are arguing that Smith is "the least of our problems" or "can carry the team" are telling us we shouldn't expect the Chiefs to contend for the SB. If the QB position is set and we have a top defense (last game not withstanding) we should absolutely expect to contend for the SB if we can get Hali and Houston healthy. "Carrying a team" means he can make up for inadequacies of other players so a leaky OL and an occasional dropped pass shouldn't derail the offense.

If you think Smith is the answer at QB, you should absolutely be thinking we should be a strong SB contender if we get Hali and Houston healthy. You should be raising expectations, not lowering them.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 01:03 AM
This is how bad San Diego's defense is. Alex Smith's game last week is being completely overrated. And no, he wasn't good against Denver.

;)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-12-dvoa-ratings

But the Worst DVOA Ever Watch is still going strong. In fact it's going stronger, because we can now track teams threatening to rank as the worst ever in all four categories.

By giving up 34 points to the mediocre Kansas City offense, the Chargers moved themselves into position as one of the worst defenses we've ever tracked.

Teams from 2013 now rank among the five worst all-time in offense, defense, special teams, and total DVOA. And yes, these tables plus the table above combine to tell us that if Philip Rivers continues to play out of his gourd, we may a playoff team that also has the worst defense in DVOA history.

A Salt Weapon
11-27-2013, 01:13 AM
This is how bad San Diego's defense is. Alex Smith's game last week is being completely overrated. And no, he wasn't good against Denver.

If they can't even get the points scored correct, I really question just how good their statistics are.

DaneMcCloud
11-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Alex Smith's game last week is being completely overrated.

You are completely overrated

Discuss Thrower
11-27-2013, 01:25 AM
This is a weird thread. The same people that are arguing that Smith is "the least of our problems" or "can carry the team" are telling us we shouldn't expect the Chiefs to contend for the SB. If the QB position is set and we have a top defense (last game not withstanding) we should absolutely expect to contend for the SB if we can get Hali and Houston healthy. "Carrying a team" means he can make up for inadequacies of other players so a leaky OL and an occasional dropped pass shouldn't derail the offense.

If you think Smith is the answer at QB, you should absolutely be thinking we should be a strong SB contender if we get Hali and Houston healthy. You should be raising expectations, not lowering them.

This this this this this. Especially if JC, Bowe, Flowers, Berry and DJ are as good as we've thought since they've been in KC.

mikey23545
11-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Settling for another first round playoff bouncing when we've been the beneficiary of an incredibly easy schedule and tremendous defensive effort is foolhardy.

**** last year's record. This is a new team, and if they have the ability to win in the playoffs, then they ****ing should.

i do expect a team that's been "rebuilding" with top draft picks since 2008 to ya know, compete for the playoffs and super bowl by year 5, 6, etc. Not reset the clock at year 1 and make it a ****ing 8 year rebuild in separate 4 year increments. That makes no sense from a turnaround perspective.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/541/bkm0.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/f1bkm0j)

RealSNR
11-27-2013, 02:24 AM
If the Chiefs wind up 9-7 on the year, will you be cool with that, mikey?

What's more indicative of who this team could be? 9-0 or 2-14? Which one has happened recently?

If the team goes through a huge fat regression to finish the season, does 2-14 grant them an excuse? Is that part of the recovery package? Immunity from criticism?

I wish the real world worked that way.

TripleThreat
11-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Well, yeah.

Unfortunately a lot of the tape on him shows him pants-shitting in a Cassel like manner.

If he plays like he did last week for the rest of the year and our defense shows a little testicular fortitude; then we're SB contenders.

Nobody plays at that level week in and week out consistently for 60 minutes. You watched Peyton manning vs the patriots right? 1st half all points scored. Second half anything? Same thing when they faced us they had 17 points in the begging of the 2nd quarter and then they sputtered to only finish the game with 27 going out on drive after drive. Wins are the only thing that matters in the nfl. Alex isn't going to drew Bree's you game in and game out because he knows he doesn't have to. He just plays smart controlled football to win football games which it seems you and many other posters strictly from here disagree with. But, Alex doesn't back down when he needs to throw or step up to the plate. Maybe in 05 with the 49ers he would do that. But now is now. Against Denver this year even the Denver fans were saying we earned all there respect because if our wrs didn't drop some of the balls thrown to them that were 20 yards the game could've turned out differently. That's denver fans words not mine. Regardless last week Alex went toe to toe with rivers career year gameplay only to let our defense give up a touchdown. No one will read this I'm sure so who cares right? But I'm seriously getting annoyed with the ppl that do not understand the type of football Alex is playing. He's not gonna have a 5k yard season or a 4.5k season until his d sucks to where he has to throw all game and come from behind. Alex is going to continue to play smart controlled winning football and then play from behind when he has to. He already said he doesn't care about stats and only cares about winning. So if your only looking and hoping for Alex to week in week out throw for 350yds and 3 tds a game then your looking at the wrong team

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 03:32 AM

first, I don't know of one poster who claims that Smith is "the least of our problems" or "can carry the team" at the same time. can you find me that guy? thx, because I don't think you can.

second, do you think this OL is SB caliber? because I think it is the worst OL in the sport this season and they are primarily why this team lost and won't win post season. this answer, I am looking forward to because I expect a real lame excuse. you know, like "alex yadda yadda yadda" kind of deflections without an actual address of the OL.

for those of us that said a few weeks ago, this team could contend -- that was with the expectation the OL would get going on the new offense. It seems they are not and the improvement last week may be a combination of weak opponent combined with new personnel, we'll need to see another game or two for a better assessment.

No team can win big games dropping passes. that is another aspect of this team most fans expected to improve by now. we saw an effort last week, but it's the same deal as the OL -- needs to be established over the next few games in order to call it an improvement.

if they can't block and they can't catch, they can't compete at a high level no matter if GENO were the QB.

Sorter
11-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Alex isn't going to drew Bree's you game in and game out because he knows he doesn't have to.

I can guarantee you that isn't the case.

If Alex could "drew Bree's you" every game, he would. Typically, nobody intentionally under-performs on a team that is contending for a SB.

TripleThreat
11-27-2013, 03:41 AM

What's more indicative of who this team could be? 9-0 or 2-14? Which one has happened recently?

If the team goes through a huge fat regression to finish the season, does 2-14 grant them an excuse? Is that part of the recovery package? Immunity from criticism?

No that won't be the excuse. I'm not sure who would argue us being 2 and 14 last year grants us a excuse to lose out by any means. We lost to the broncos in Denver by 10... And even as there fans state on there own mb the game could've gone either way. If we are the team I expect us to be and who I think we are even capable of beating I still am optimistic we win the next 4 games and at least the 3 after Denver (redskins raiders colts). Then the game in San Diego we may win depending if our defense will rise to the occasion and not let the other team throw 40 plus points on us. I'm sure every qb in the league has a losing record when the opposing team scores 30 plus points let alone 40.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 03:43 AM

Since Hali/Houston are currently injured the Chiefs have that excuse to use so they can sell more tickets next year if the Chiefs shit themselves from here to till the end of the season.

TripleThreat
11-27-2013, 03:47 AM

If Alex could "drew Bree's you" every game, he would. Typically, nobody intentionally under-performs on a team that is contending for a SB.

When your up by 10. Your running the clock for the win. Your making short passes/runs to eat up clock and keep a drive going for 8mins plus. What I mean by drew breesing you is when he will just keep airing it for a 2 min drive for a quick score. Alex isn't going to do that when we have the lead.

Alex said one of his biggest mistakes he made was his rookie year when he would go to the sideline he would ask " how many yards am I at, what's my completion percentage". He doesn't do that anymore and just Wants to win. He's gonna take a 15run 2 pass 8min drive over a 5 pass 2min drive all the time when we have the lead. And to be frank we've had the lead for most of the year in our games which is why we don't see many shoot out games like we did last week against San Diego. And at least from the last 2 weeks against Denver and San Diego he hasn't wussied out and shitt the bed. We were contending in both games which is a drastic improvement over recent times

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 03:56 AM
When your up by 10. Your running the clock for the win

Tom Brady disagrees

Chiefs=Champions
11-27-2013, 03:57 AM

While I agree to an extent with this. Alex didnt have to take the shots a team with a lesser defense would have had to the first 9 weeks. That could potentially change.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 04:07 AM
actually, Smiff "Drew Brees'd" Drew Brees during a 2011 season playoff game. Smiff threw three TD's and 1 rushing TD, 300 yards passing for the day and the 9ers won 36 - 32.

UK_Chief
11-27-2013, 06:25 AM
We rely on the defense and go 9-0, we rely on Alex Smith and go 0-2. Hmmm

Defense needs to get back to where it was!!!

Sandy Vagina
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM

So when the team loses, all that matters is the W/L column.

So when the team wins 9, all that matters is the details in between, and one must look beyond the W/L column.

Hmm.... the concept of TEAM GAME is apparently lost on some...

the one consistent for Alex has been this..

If the OL can block at a respectable level... if the targets catch what is thrown to them.. Alex can move the ball well and his team wins far more than loses. It's really as simple as that.

Too many are stuck on this idea of an elite QB that can overcome and excel no matter what fails around him. Grow up and get real. Good quarterbacks don't often find success with a bottom 5 team in passes dropped + bottom 10 pass pro OL + 2nd most in offensive penalties + year 1 offense.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
11-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Why didn't we run more?

We were setting them up for the rematch this week in K.C. It's all part of the big sell for the NFL. If we pummeled Peyton 2 weeks ago there would not have been a Manning-Brady part 14. The NFL is big money and when big money talks NFL teams listen. This week our training wheels will be taken off for the rematch and we will have more flexibility to wreck havoc in the Denver backfield. This game will generate better ratings and more NFL earnings because we looked bad in Denver 2 weeks ago. Hold onto your hats this is going to be a wild ride!

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
So when the team loses, all that matters is the W/L column.

So when the team wins 9, all that matters is the details in between, and one must look beyond the W/L column.

Hmm.... the concept of TEAM GAME is apparently lost on some...

the one consistent for Alex has been this..

If the OL can block at a respectable level... if the targets catch what is thrown to them.. Alex can move the ball well and his team wins far more than loses. It's really as simple as that.

Too many are stuck on this idea of an elite QB that can overcome and excel no matter what fails around him. Grow up and get real. Good quarterbacks don't often find success with a bottom 5 team in passes dropped + bottom 10 pass pro OL + 2nd most in offensive penalties + year 1 offense.

WHAT football is more then the QB? That's amazing.

Football is more then having an elite QB. If all that was needed to win was an elite QB Peyton Manning would have more then 1 ring. Tom Brady hasn't won a super bowl in almost 10 years. When Brady was winning super bowls their defense was far better then it has been the past few years.

Even the elite QBS have trouble winning when their defense is bad. No QB in the history of the game has ever been able to do it alone. But that seems to be what the Alex Smith haters demand that he do. Alex is not an elite QB. He is what he is he's a good QB but not elite. Why hold him to a higher standard then the elite QBS? The elite QBs have trouble winning for some of the same reasons the Chiefs have lost the past 2 weeks.

RealSNR
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM
first, I don't know of one poster who claims that Smith is "the least of our problems" or "can carry the team" at the same time. can you find me that guy? thx, because I don't think you can.

second, do you think this OL is SB caliber? because I think it is the worst OL in the sport this season and they are primarily why this team lost and won't win post season. this answer, I am looking forward to because I expect a real lame excuse. you know, like "alex yadda yadda yadda" kind of deflections without an actual address of the OL.

for those of us that said a few weeks ago, this team could contend -- that was with the expectation the OL would get going on the new offense. It seems they are not and the improvement last week may be a combination of weak opponent combined with new personnel, we'll need to see another game or two for a better assessment.

No team can win big games dropping passes. that is another aspect of this team most fans expected to improve by now. we saw an effort last week, but it's the same deal as the OL -- needs to be established over the next few games in order to call it an improvement.

if they can't block and they can't catch, they can't compete at a high level no matter if GENO were the QB.

Shut the fuck up

Baby Lee
11-27-2013, 10:47 AM

OR, . . . Even when Alex plays his worst, with the D playing its best we're 9-0.
But when Alex plays his best, even 38 points at home won't save us from 0-2 when the D plays like shit.

loochy
11-27-2013, 10:57 AM
His receivers sucked Schweaty Balls and his line didn't know shit from apple butter... not sure how you pin that loss on him.

he supposed to carry da team mang

i didnt pin anything on him anyhow

but he didn't exactly rise up and carry the team

Mr. Laz
11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Shut the **** up
If you held WRs to the same standard as you do QBs, you would be hiring a plane to fly over Arrowhead demanding that all our WRs get cut immediiately.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Shut the **** up

ROFL homer

Mr. Plow
11-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Can someone link me to the passes dropped stats for the NFL? I'm curious and too lazy to find it.

Sandy Vagina
11-27-2013, 11:42 AM
WHAT football is more then the QB? That's amazing.

Football is more then having an elite QB. If all that was needed to win was an elite QB Peyton Manning would have more then 1 ring. Tom Brady hasn't won a super bowl in almost 10 years. When Brady was winning super bowls their defense was far better then it has been the past few years.

Even the elite QBS have trouble winning when their defense is bad. No QB in the history of the game has ever been able to do it alone. But that seems to be what the Alex Smith haters demand that he do. Alex is not an elite QB. He is what he is he's a good QB but not elite. Why hold him to a higher standard then the elite QBS? The elite QBs have trouble winning for some of the same reasons the Chiefs have lost the past 2 weeks.

Excellent post is excellent. :thumb:

Sandy Vagina
11-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Can someone link me to the passes dropped stats for the NFL? I'm curious and too lazy to find it.

here is one....

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2013/

Mav
11-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Well, yeah.

In fairness. That is incorrect. I haven't seen him shit his pants consistently since before harbaugh became his head coach. Regardless of what you hear, he didn't shit his pants under Harbaugh. He may of had bad plays, but he never ever showed a lack of confidence. And that showed.

Talk about the NFCCG all you want. Talk about the 1/13 on 3rd down. When he had to make a play in that game, HE DID.

Point. Down 10-7 in the 3rd quarter, he found Vernon Davis streaking down the left sideline and placed a pearl in between two Giant defenders.

Having to have a fg down 17-14 after Kyles first turnover, he drove the team down for the tying FG, to get the game to over time.

He is as cool and collected as there is in the league.

Now, i don't believe that he can carry the Chiefs if the defense plays as it did last weekend. Im not sure many qbs with the Chiefs offense could.

But, he will give the Chiefs a shot. But they have to stop SOMEONE sometime.

Mr. Plow
11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
here is one....

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2013/

Ya, that's kind of what I thought..

According to that site, the Chiefs #25 in drops (23), & #26 in drops % (5.9%).

Charles accounts for 35% of our drops (8)
Avery accounts for 13% of our drops (3)
McCluster accounts for 13% of our drops (3)
Bowe accounts for 9% of our drops (2)

So, basically those that are complaining about "all the drops" are just saying that Charles needs to catch more balls that are thrown at him.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 12:03 PM

So, basically those that are complaining about "all the drops" are just saying that Charles needs to catch more balls that are thrown at him.

so, what you want me to believe is "a drop on the first pass play of the game is no more important than a drop on the final play of the game that was a pass into the end zone that would have won the game".

ptlyon
11-27-2013, 12:04 PM
So, basically those that are complaining about "all the drops" are Alex Smith apologists and they can blow it out their ass

FYP

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Well, you have to factor in how they keep track of drops. Their definition of what a dropped pass is skewed a little bit.

I bet you that drop by Charles for instance wasn't counted as a drop.

There have been a lot of dropped passes by the Chiefs.

i do wonder if that one by avery against the Broncos was considered as one.

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:05 PM
FYP

I lol'ed

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I have to admit. This bashing of Alex used to really piss me off.

Now that the Browns are BACK to Brandon Weeden, I LAUGH.

I would trade you Brandon weeden for alex smith, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

JF08
11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Smith is now 16th in passing yards and 17th in passing TD's.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards

He also has the 6th most rushing yards for QB's with 314. Behind Pryor, Wilson, Newton, Griffin III, and Kaepernick.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2013&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&qualified=false

Not bad for a guy who did, does and will always suck.

TheUte
11-27-2013, 12:14 PM

So what is the threshold of drops that is not acceptable?

Mr. Plow
11-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Well, you have to factor in how they keep track of drops. Their definition of what a dropped pass is skewed a little bit.

I would agree. Their definition of a dropped pass is:

dropped pass percentage measures the rate at which a team's receivers make contact with the ball but end up dropping it incomplete.

So, if the RB/WR/TE makes contact with the ball but doesn't catch it, it's a drop. So is that ball thrown high that Bowe barely touches considered a drop?

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM

He also has the 6th most rushing yards for QB's with 314. Behind Pryor, Wilson, Newton, Griffin III, and Kaepernick.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2013&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&qualified=false

Not bad for a guy who did, does and will always suck.

Don't forget 33rd in yards per attempt and 34th in yards per completion and 25th in completion percentage.

Those are the hallmarks of AWESOME.

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I would agree. Their definition of a dropped pass is:

So, if the RB/WR/TE makes contact with the ball but doesn't catch it, it's a drop. So is that ball thrown high that Bowe barely touches considered a drop?

Yeah. I don't know. I have heard that it is considered a CATCHABLE ball that is dropped. I don't know how they define it.

Is it one hand? Both Hands? Good question. Hard to gauge. I don't usually say something is a drop unless it was like the Charles pass.

yes, it was a little behind, but it was catchable. Wasn't like it was thrown 80 mph either. Where as, lets say had Bowe dropped that pass for the Td that he caught one handed, and was being molested, i wouldn't of considered that a drop.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Not bad for a guy who did, does and will always suck.Bottom half of the league in passing categories.

Sweet.

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Don't forget 33rd in yards per attempt and 34th in yards per completion and 25th in completion percentage.

That is what is to be expected when you don't have a single true deep threat on your team.

Who is the deep threat?

Fasano? McCluster? Avery? Bowe?

Not exactly field stretchers there Chief.

JF08
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Expected points and EPA explained
Looking at how ESPN's new play-by-play metric works

"Let's start with what seems like a pretty basic question: Which team has the best offense in the NFL? How about the best defense? Special teams?

Although opinions on these matters can vary wildly, the objective statistical measure of these aspects of football has usually been something that relies on yards. The league's offenses are ranked by which teams averaged the most yards per game; the defenses are judged by who allowed the fewest yards per game.

But, as most experienced football fans know, yards can be extremely deceiving. For example, if a team has impressive yardage totals but turns the ball over frequently or fails to convert in the red zone consistently, what use are all those yards in terms of actual points on the scoreboard? (Eagles fans might understand this plight better than anyone.)

And not all yards are created equal. Would you rather have 8 yards on third-and-10 or 3 yards on third-and-2?

Finally, the team with greater yards from scrimmage has won less than 70 percent of games over the past five seasons. So clearly, winning the yardage battle is not the same as winning the game in the NFL, as other factors not measured in traditional yardage stats play a large role, as well.

But don't fret, NFL fans, there is a statistical solution to this problem: It's called "expected points." Although it does rely on some advanced math, the benefits of using this framework make it more than worth it to understand up front.

Based on statistical analysis of 10 years of NFL play-by-play data, ESPN has created a formula that assigns an "expected points" value to the team with the ball at the start of each play based on the game situation. Expected points (EP) accounts for factors such as down, distance to go, field position, home-field advantage and time remaining.

The value it puts out is on a scale from about minus-3 to 7, and it basically represents "which team is likely to score next, and how many points?" It represents the likely points not just on the current drive but also on the next drive or any subsequent drive until the score changes or the half ends. A lower value indicates a more favorable situation for the defense (i.e. fourth-and-20 from your own 1-yard line could be close to minus-3 EP), and a higher value represents a more favorable situation for the offense (i.e. first-and-goal is generally worth 6 EP).

Without going into technical details, the key is that the relationships in the EP formula encapsulate the basic tenets of football, including:

• Being closer to the opposing goal line and farther from your own is better

• Earlier downs are better (first-and-10 is better than second-and-10, etc.)

• Shorter distance to go is better

• Being at home is better

(If most of this sounds pretty fundamental and obvious to you, that's a good thing. The point here is that the math is consistent with how the game works.)"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8379024/nfl-explaining-expected-points-metric

In case you're wondering, Alex Smith currently ranks 13th in Total EPA.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaTotal

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Bottom half of the league in passing categories.

Sweet.

16th is bottom?

actually, wouldn't 16 be the very last of the top half?

and 17th the very top of the bottom half?

Im new to math, but it seems to me that is extremely average.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 12:21 PM
16th is bottom?

actually, wouldn't 16 be the very last of the top half?

and 17th the very top of the bottom half?

Im new to math, but it seems to me that is extremely average.That's fair. Extremely average.

TheUte
11-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Yards per attempt is such a stupid stat to keep using, it's like saying that a defense that gives up a bunch of yards is bad.

Scoring TD's is the only thing that should matter.

ptlyon
11-27-2013, 12:22 PM
That is what is to be expected when you don't have a single true deep threat on your team.

Who is the deep threat?

Make up your fucking mind. Which is it, dropped passes, poor receivers, something else?

What's your excuse de jour?

DaneMcCloud
11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
That's fair. Extremely average.

What is the definition of "extremely" average?

How many decimal points are required to prove such a statement?

Mav
11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Make up your ****ing mind. Which is it, dropped passes, poor receivers, something else?

What's your excuse de jour?

The same as it has always been.

The Chiefs offense from top to bottom with the exception of Jamaal Charles is extremely average.

The Receiving corps is running with McCluster as its 3rd receiver.

They barely have a back up running back, depending on the day, the 4 spots to the left of Albert are average to straight suckville.

Alex Smith is average.

The tight ends are a bunch of back ups.

The play calling has been extremely inept, although it has gotten better the past two weeks.

Its ranked right about where it should be.

They don't give Charles the ball enough, and Alex doesn't force enough to bowe for my liking. But that's just the way he is. He goes to the open guy.

Its a blessing, and a curse.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
What is the definition of "extremely" average?

How many decimal points are required to prove such a statement?He made the statement.

I agreed with it.

Ask him.

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 12:32 PM

And yet this team is still 9-2 playing for first place

That should tell you just how much YPA and YPC matter

ThaVirus
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Doesn't Charles lead the nfl in % of his team's offense?

He does and it's not even close. They had a graphic up in a game recently that said Jamaal accounted for 37% of our offense's yards. The next guy up only had 30%.

Also, Charles had two drops on consecutive plays in the Denver game that don't matter because the drive ended up being capped by the TD to Bowe. He went on to average almost 5 YPC as well.

Jamaal is the last person that people need to be riding on.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Who is the deep threat?

So? No excuse for being dead fucking last. None.

That's bad quarterbacking, period.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 12:55 PM
He made the statement.

I agreed with it.

Ask him.

do you not watch the games? what did you expect?

see, this is more of that "obvious is obvious so everything else I say is right" kind of garbage. really. did you expect this offense to be ranked top five?

of course you did, because it isn't about reality with idiots like you, it's about being somehow right by presenting obvious points and then doing your best to loosely base the QB to be the only problem with this offense. he isn't.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
So? No excuse for being dead ****ing last. None.

That's bad quarterbacking, period.

the OL & WR's & RB are a huge part of the problem. periods are for women to bitch about.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 12:59 PM
do you not watch the games? what did you expect?

see, this is more of that "obvious is obvious so everything else I say is right" kind of garbage. really. did you expect this offense to be ranked top five?

of course you did, because it isn't about reality with idiots like you, it's about being somehow right by presenting obvious points and then doing your best to loosely base the QB to be the only problem with this offense. he isn't.Coming into this season I expected our line to be a strong point.

It isn't.

I expected our running game to be top five.

It isn't.

I expected Alex Smith to be accurate and build a relationship with Bowe.

He isn't and didn't.

I've never placed all of the blame solely on Alex. He is the QB. He will get undue scrutiny when our offense looks like trash, them's the breaks. I've said in this very thread if he plays up to the level he did on Sunday(post 1st quarter) and our defense shows some balls, then we're SB contenders.

You're a moron.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
He does and it's not even close. They had a graphic up in a game recently that said Jamaal accounted for 37% of our offense's yards. The next guy up only had 30%.

Also, Charles had two drops on consecutive plays in the Denver game that don't matter because the drive ended up being capped by the TD to Bowe. He went on to average almost 5 YPC as well.

Jamaal is the last person that people need to be riding on.

He's dropping passes he should not drop. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd tell that himself.

and again, obviously everyone with half an eye on the Chiefs, knows Jamaal is the offense. so, more about the obvious here.

Jamaal is performing well overall, stats wise, but his YPC is down and he does have 10 TD's & 53 receptions already this season. so there are indicators within these stats that he is being used differently in the new offense than any year previously. but folks treat his role as if it's the same.

He's always been 33% of the offense -- or more, depending on how bad the passing game was. But now he is a big part of the pass offense and he is making some mistakes.

But that isn't the issue -- you don't see "what happened to Jamaal" threads because he is doing well in spite of the poorest OL he's ever run behind in the NFL.

What you see, is folks like me coming to the defense of the QB accusations by citing Jamaal etc & the drops.

so then, you get the posts that refute, saying "your nuts for saying Jamaal is bad" etc, when it is simply a case of misplaced blame.

RunKC
11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Charles has been playing like shit the last few weeks. He's dropped two TD's that were good passes by Alex.

Bowe has made drops he should have caught. So has Avery.

But of course, it's all Alex's fault, right Clay?

ThaVirus
11-27-2013, 01:15 PM
He's dropping passes he should not drop. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd tell that himself.

and again, obviously everyone with half an eye on the Chiefs, knows Jamaal is the offense. so, more about the obvious here.

Jamaal is performing well overall, stats wise, but his YPC is down and he does have 10 TD's & 53 receptions already this season. so there are indicators within these stats that he is being used differently in the new offense than any year previously. but folks treat his role as if it's the same.

He's always been 33% of the offense -- or more, depending on how bad the passing game was. But now he is a big part of the pass offense and he is making some mistakes.

But that isn't the issue -- you don't see "what happened to Jamaal" threads because he is doing well in spite of the poorest OL he's ever run behind in the NFL.

What you see, is folks like me coming to the defense of the QB accusations by citing Jamaal etc & the drops.

so then, you get the posts that refute, saying "your nuts for saying Jamaal is bad" etc, when it is simply a case of misplaced blame.

Honestly, it's hard to follow your thought process. You seem to be jumping all over the place.

The fact of the matter is, Jamaal is having a career year in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs. His YPC is down because we have a shit line that's going through a scheme change.

JAMAAL IS NO WHERE NEAR THE ACTUAL PROBLEM OF THIS TEAM.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Coming into this season I expected our line to be a strong point.

It isn't.

I expected our running game to be top five.

It isn't.

I expected Alex Smith to be accurate and build a relationship with Bowe.

He isn't and didn't.

I've never placed all of the blame solely on Alex. He is the QB. He will get undue scrutiny when our offense looks like trash, them's the breaks. I've said in this very thread if he plays up to the level he did on Sunday(post 1st quarter) and our defense shows some balls, then we're SB contenders.

You're a moron.

ah. more drama queen shit. you announced the disappointment, then back peddle to "expectations going into the season". nice deflection.

it's okay, you don't have to admit your idiocy because it's all in this forum.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Honestly, it's hard to follow your thought process. You seem to be jumping all over the place.

The fact of the matter is, Jamaal is having a career year in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs. His YPC is down because we have a shit line that's going through a scheme change.

JAMAAL IS NO WHERE NEAR THE ACTUAL PROBLEM OF THIS TEAM.

WHO SAID HE WAS?

Pablo
11-27-2013, 01:19 PM
ah. more drama queen shit. you announced the disappointment, then back peddle to "expectations going into the season". nice deflection.

it's okay, you don't have to admit your idiocy because it's all in this forum.Of course I'm disappointed with Alex Smith this season. I'm disappointed with nearly every facet of the offense, save Charles.

That's because the only consistent positive this entire year on offense is Charles. Other players/offensive groups have had their bright spots, but for the most part have been lackluster to downright miserable.

You are a dense individual.

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Charles has been playing like shit the last few weeks. He's dropped two TD's that were good passes by Alex.

I wouldn't say Charles has been playing like shit at all. He has made mistakes just like everyone else on the offense. But he has been the best player on offense overall this season. And it really isn't even close

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:21 PM

OH NOES -- HE MIGHT HAVE SAID IT'S ALL JAMAAL'S FAULT -- BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT HE DID SAY IT!!!!!111111

the offense is not real good this season. there's plenty of blame to go around.

but the prozac kids on this forum want it all on the QB.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Of course I'm disappointed with Alex Smith this season. I'm disappointed with nearly every facet of the offense, save Charles.

That's because the only consistent positive this entire year on offense is Charles. Other players/offensive groups have had their bright spots, but for the most part have been lackluster to downright miserable.

You are a dense individual.

finish with a positive next time, sweety.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 01:25 PM
OH NOES -- HE MIGHT HAVE SAID IT'S ALL JAMAAL'S FAULT -- BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT HE DID SAY IT!!!!!111111

the offense is not real good this season. there's plenty of blame to go around.

but the prozac kids on this forum want it all on the QB.Because that's how the NFL works, dumb shit.

QB's are the leaders. They are set up to be the great conquerors or the goats. Alex Smith will get criticism when this offense looks as bad as it has. He'll get more than his fair share. That's how being a QB works. That's why people rode RG3's ass over his press comments.

When the team does well, it's all about the QB saying how great the team is performing and him being a facilitator. When they do poorly, it's all about the QB saying how he can improve and make the team better.

Alex hasn't been a positive for this offense all year. He's just as much of a problem as everyone else on that side of the ball. Except he's going to take the brunt of it because he plays the most important position.

JakeLV
11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
AS hasn't shown he can carry a team on his back.

Did he look good last week? Sure. I think that anybody objective person would say as much.

Should people rush to think that means he's turned a corner this season and can now be a top 10 QB, and one you want to have driving the team down by 4 with 2 minutes left?

No. Jury is still out.

ThaVirus
11-27-2013, 01:31 PM
WHO SAID HE WAS?

I replied to a 9 paragraph post of yours saying he was ****ing up, but he's a huge part of the offense, but he needs to do better, but he's having a career year.

I honestly don't know what the **** you're trying to say with all your flip flopping.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I replied to a 9 paragraph post of yours saying he was ****ing up, but he's a huge part of the offense, but he needs to do better, but he's having a career year.

I honestly don't know what the **** you're trying to say with all your flip flopping.He's trying to say:

LEAVE ALEX ALONE!

http://nyulocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

mcaj22
11-27-2013, 01:40 PM
AS hasn't shown he can carry a team on his back.

Did he look good last week? Sure. I think that anybody objective person would say as much.

Should people rush to think that means he's turned a corner this season and can now be a top 10 QB, and one you want to have driving the team down by 4 with 2 minutes left?

No. Jury is still out.

name me 10 QBs youd want with two minutes left

Jakemall
11-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Alex did pretty well with 2 minutes...it was 20 seconds he didn't impress with.

mcaj22
11-27-2013, 01:47 PM

yea thats my point there isnt 10 other QBs

id take Alex over 3/4ths of the leagues QBs right now

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Because that's how the NFL works, dumb shit.

QB's are the leaders. They are set up to be the great conquerors or the goats. Alex Smith will get criticism when this offense looks as bad as it has. He'll get more than his fair share. That's how being a QB works. That's why people rode RG3's ass over his press comments.

When the team does well, it's all about the QB saying how great the team is performing and him being a facilitator. When they do poorly, it's all about the QB saying how he can improve and make the team better.

Alex hasn't been a positive for this offense all year. He's just as much of a problem as everyone else on that side of the ball. Except he's going to take the brunt of it because he plays the most important position.

back peddler. your and idiot.

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:52 PM

I honestly don't know what the **** you're trying to say with all your flip flopping.

WHATISTHISIDONTEVEN

Pablo
11-27-2013, 01:53 PM
back peddler. your and idiot.Expected response.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 02:13 PM

There was 3:51 left when that drive started at the 45.

It wasn't a 2-minute drill by any means.

Mr. Laz
11-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Because that's how the NFL works, dumb shit.

It works that way because people are too stupid to look beyond the quarterback position.

This forum is always talking about how much smarter they are about football yet when it comes to the QB they are just as stupid as the average sport talk caller.

Congrats, Jim Rome loves you.

Rack'em!!

Pablo
11-27-2013, 02:17 PM
It works that way because people are too stupid to look beyond the quarterback position.

This forum is always talking about how much smarter they are about football yet when it comes to the QB they are just as stupid as the average sport talk caller.

Congrats, Jim Rome loves you.Laz, nobody cares what you have to say about anything.

Mr. Plow
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Yeah, he's kind of jumping all over the place.

ThaVirus
11-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, he's kind of jumping all over the place.

Thank you. I didn't know if I was the only one having trouble understanding what he was trying to say.

JakeLV
11-27-2013, 02:30 PM

If he played like he did Sunday for the rest of the season, I would be reasonably satisfied with him as the QB.

That wasn't the point I was making. The original post of the thread stated AS can carry the team. I'm simply saying that one game doesn't make a season, nor does it make him a top flight QB. If we're looking at his entire body of work from this season, it's asinine to assume he can carry the team based on one performance.

Up to last Saturday, AS was content to let his defense win ball games, with the offense doing just enough. That isn't exactly what people would deem a high level of QB play (call it smart, call it whatever, but not playing at a high level. Is it what we needed? That's an arguable point).

Sunday was a welcome change, and the type of game needed from the anemic offense. Any other Sunday, and that game would have been a win. Before saying that he can carry the team, there has to be more consistency.

ChiefsCountry
11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
If he played like he did Sunday for the rest of the season, I would be reasonably satisfied with him as the QB.

That wasn't the point I was making. The original post of the thread stated AS can carry the team. I'm simply saying that one game doesn't make a season, nor does it make him a top flight QB. If we're looking at his entire body of work from this season, it's asinine to assume he can carry the team based on one performance.

Up to last Saturday, AS was content to let his defense win ball games, with the offense doing just enough. That isn't exactly what people would deem a high level of QB play (call it smart, call it whatever, but not playing at a high level. Is it what we needed? That's an arguable point).

Sunday was a welcome change, and the type of game needed from the anemic offense. Any other Sunday, and that game would have been a win. Before saying that he can carry the team, there has to be more consistency.

A smart n00b for once. :clap:

Pablo
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Sunday was a welcome change, and the type of game needed from the anemic offense. Any other Sunday, and that game would have been a win. Before saying that he can carry the team, there has to be more consistency.Rep.

You'll do well here.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Thank you. I didn't know if I was the only one having trouble understanding what he was trying to say.Really?

He laid out his points and rebuttals so clearly. I don't understand how someone could have trouble following his logic.

LMAO

ThaVirus
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Good post, fresh fish.

You ever made love to a man?

Pablo
Good post, fresh fish.

You ever made love to a man?Do you prefer syrup or jelly?

ThaVirus
Really?

He laid out his points and rebuttals so clearly. I don't understand how someone could have trouble following his logic.

LMAO

LMAO Right.

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Manning
Ryan
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Eli
Rivers
Flacco
Luck
Romo
Cutler
Newton

There's 14 off the top of my head - most of which have come up big time and time again late in games. There's a lot of game winning drives and come from behind victories on that list.

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Good post.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Manning
Ryan
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Eli
Rivers
Flacco
Luck
Romo
Cutler
Newton

There's 14 off the top of my head - most of which have come up big time and time again late in games. There's a lot of game winning drives and come from behind victories on that list.Well...

Give me 20 now!

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Well...

Give me 20 now!

I'm sure someone will mouth off and try to flip shit about Eli, Romo or Roethlisberger, even though they are probably in the Top 25 all time in GWD's.

I'd bet that entire list is ahead of Alex, with the exception of Luck and Newton - and I'd bet they are both pretty close.

Pablo
11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm sure someone will mouth off and try to flip shit about Eli, Romo or Roethlisberger, even though they are probably in the Top 25 all time in GWD's.

I'd bet that entire list is ahead of Alex, with the exception of Luck and Newton - and I'd bet they are both pretty close.I'd hope nobody would question those guys.

You might catch shit for Ryan since he's been pretty bad for most of this season, even though he has had quite a few GWD in previous seasons.

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
I'd hope nobody would question those guys.

You might catch shit for Ryan since he's been pretty bad for most of this season, even though he has had quite a few GWD in previous seasons.

I'd bet anything he's very high on the list. I could give a shit about this season. When you're picking someone to lead a two-minute drive, you want to pick someone who has proven they can do it consistently.

Ryan definitely falls in that category, as does Romo - but everyone only remembers his INT's.

Mr. Plow
11-27-2013, 02:58 PM

WTF is this shit? Ban him before he gets going!

:D

Ace Gunner
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Congrats, Jim Rome loves you.

Rack'em!!

:D

ChiefsCountry
11-27-2013, 03:01 PM

I'd bet that entire list is ahead of Alex, with the exception of Luck and Newton - and I'd bet they are both pretty close.

Here is a name from the past that is similar with Alex
Check this out (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=SancMa00)

Alex Smith - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=SmitAl03

Jakemall
11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/quarterbacks-game-winning-drive-study

Found this interesting.

"How about the most classic comeback situation in football? Down by four-to-six points, 2:00 left and the ball at no better than your own 20, meaning you absolutely have to score a touchdown with a long field ahead of you to win the game.

Well, for this group, it's happened once: down 37-31, an injured Matthew Stafford led Detroit 88 yards against the 2009 Browns, scoring a touchdown on an untimed down after the Browns were penalized 31 yards for defensive pass interference in the end zone."

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 05:08 PM

I agree with this.

Like I've said Alex is what he is. He's a good QB but by no means is he a QB that you can say will put the team on his back and carry them to glory. What the Chiefs need to do for Alex to be someone they can really contend with is get better talent around him. The elite QBs draw more out of their talent. Alex won't do that so he needs better talent around him. The Chiefs outside of Charles and Bowe just don't have that right now.

Jakemall
11-27-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/quarterbacks-game-winning-drive-study

Found this interesting.

"How about the most classic comeback situation in football? Down by four-to-six points, 2:00 left and the ball at no better than your own 20, meaning you absolutely have to score a touchdown with a long field ahead of you to win the game.

Well, for this group, it's happened once: down 37-31, an injured Matthew Stafford led Detroit 88 yards against the 2009 Browns, scoring a touchdown on an untimed down after the Browns were penalized 31 yards for defensive pass interference in the end zone."

BTW..for those who are too lazy to read...

Alex was ranked 4th in Game winning drives Win probability. Peyton Manning is ranked 6th.

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Found this interesting.

It just happened a few weeks ago.

Stafford got the ball after a touchback with 1:02 on the clock and scored a TD to take a 31-30 lead. 6 plays.

I do like how they try to minimize the impact of a GWD if it starts outside the 20 yard line - as if a GWD that starts on the 26 is somehow inferior.

RippedmyFlesh
11-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Interesting defense stat from there. They beakdown def by receiver #1wr #2wr Te rb and KC is #1 against TE. I remember not too long ago we were horrible against te's.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I want you all to know you're doing a damned fine job, and keep up the good work.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
BTW..for those who are too lazy to read...

Alex was ranked 4th in Game winning drives Win probability. Peyton Manning is ranked 6th.

Don't have to we already know what he is

Jakemall
11-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't have to we already know what he is

Then you don't need to watch the games, because you already know how they'll end. :D

BossChief
11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd hope nobody would question those guys.

I'd bet anything he's very high on the list. I could give a shit about this season. When you're picking someone to lead a two-minute drive, you want to pick someone who has proven they can do it consistently.

Ryan definitely falls in that category, as does Romo - but everyone only remembers his INT's.

Ryan has 23 game winning drives.

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Then you don't need to watch the games, because you already know how they'll end. :D

yep 2 losses when we needed him due to the defense not able to play flawlessly

BossChief
11-27-2013, 10:29 PM
yep 2 losses when we needed him due to the defense not able to play flawlessly

Oh gimme a ****ing brake.

He lead the offense to 38 against SD and put up 17 against Denver and if it weren't for drops, there could have EASILY been more. Avery catch would have been a 40 yard gain and a fg. Owe drop was another fg. Sherman fumble cost us a 10pt swing...

IMO Alex has played just fine the last 2 games.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Oh gimme a fucking brake.

ooh so the defense prior to the Denver game averaging 12 points a game had no bearing in the outcome to the wins. Once shit went bad and Alex had to stand up he came up short.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:33 PM
ooh so the defense prior to the Denver game averaging 12 points a game had no bearing in the outcome to the wins. Once shit went bad and Alex had to stand up he came up short.

He did put 38 point on the board last week. How was that on Alex?

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:33 PM

HE PUT UP 38 POINTS

But yes Alex came up short I guess he was suppose to be out there playing defense. SMH

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:35 PM
He did put 38 point on the board last week. How was that on Alex?

Alex was clearly suppose to be covering Allen all day :rolleyes:

BossChief
11-27-2013, 10:36 PM

That's bullshit.

If Alex Smith continues to improve at the rate he is, I already have a down payment set aside for the truckload of crow I'll have to place an order for.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 10:36 PM
HE PUT UP 38 POINTS

But yes Alex came up short I guess he was suppose to be out there playing defense. SMH

He still lost the track meet. Something that Tom Brady won last week, and they were 24 down.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:37 PM
He still lost the track meet. Something that Tom Brady won last week, and they were 24 down.

Alex put the Chiefs on top with 1:22 left how the hell can you knock him at all?

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 10:37 PM
That's bullshit.

If Alex Smith continues to improve at the rate he is, I already have a down payment set aside for the truckload of crow I'll have to place an order for.

Honestly?

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:38 PM

If Brady's D gave up 41 points it would be the same. But they didn't. That and a lot of Denver's points were not against the Pats D but it was Denver's D scoring. But yeah they were the same game :rolleyes:

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Pats D gave up 7 points in the 2nd half and OT.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Alex put the Chiefs on top with 1:22 left how the hell can you knock him at all?

He had a critical turnover that handed SD 7 points.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
He had a critical turnover that handed SD 7 points.

Once again he PUT THE CHIEFS ON TOP with 1:22. Chargers needed a TD yeah let's blame Alex.

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
If Brady's D gave up 41 points it would be the same. But they didn't. That and a lot of Denver's points were not against the Pats D but it was Denver's D scoring. But yeah they were the same game :rolleyes:

Alexcuses galore, the Defense held Denver to 27 the other week and did Alex the great show franchise chops? Negative on that

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Once again he PUT THE CHIEFS ON TOP with 1:22. Chargers needed a TD yeah let's blame Alex.

If Alex hadn't thrown that pick, it's a completely different ballgame. I think likely the Chiefs would have won.

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Alexcuses galore, the Defense held Denver to 27 the other week and did Alex the great show franchise chops? Negative on that

Straw man argument we were talking about the Charger game not the Denver game.

I have no problem saying Alex didn't get the job done against Denver he failed. But the Charger game is in no way on Alex 38 points SHOULD win the D laid an egg. It's that simple

You don't have a freaking clue about football if you think Alex lost the Charger game

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:44 PM
If Alex hadn't thrown that pick, it's a completely different ballgame. I think likely the Chiefs would have won.

We can play this what if game all day. What if the ST didn't have key flags? What if Ryan doesn't kick it out bounds? Manning had a key INT vs the Pats do you blame him for Denver losing that game?

GoChargers
11-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Gotta love Alice slurper logic. They like to blame the Niners' loss to the Giants in the NFC title game entirely on Kyle Williams' muffed punt (while ignoring Alice's chokes on third down), but then get indignant whenever Alice is singled out for his crucial interception last week. Basically, when someone else screws up in the clutch, it's all on them, but when Alice screws up in the clutch, it's "a team loss." Must be nice.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 10:45 PM
We can play this what if game all day. What if the ST didn't have key flags? What if Ryan doesn't kick it out bounds? Manning had a key INT vs the Pats do you blame him for Denver losing that game?

He certainly had a hand in it.

Alex did not play a perfect game. The opposing QB did. Such is the life of a Chiefs fan.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Gotta love Alice slurper logic. They like to blame the Niners' loss to the Giants in the NFC title game entirely on Kyle Williams' muffed punt (while ignoring Alice's chokes on third down), but then get indignant whenever Alice is singled out for his crucial interception last week. Basically, when someone else screws up in the clutch, it's all on them, but when Alice screws up in the clutch, it's "a team loss." Must be nice.

You do know that both QB sucked in the NFC Title game right? Williams Fumbles lead to 10 points.

mschiefs1984
11-27-2013, 10:48 PM
You do know that both QB sucked in the NFC Title game right? Williams Fumbles lead to 10 points.

Details don't matter to these people when Alex loses it's black and white.

When he wins then details matter

People are going on my ignore list maybe one day you will fall and hit your head and learn one thing about the game of football

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
http://i2.wp.com/gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Manti-Teo-whiffs-on-Jamaal-Charles-a.gif?resize=500%2C253

IMO The game was lost when the Chiefs had to kick a FG here.

1-Goal- Charles 3 yard run
2-Goal- That stupid screen play to Fasano
3-Goal- OL failed and Alex had to hurry the throw

cdcox
11-27-2013, 11:02 PM

P. Manning got rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less against the Chiefs. That's what "carrying" looks like.

I don't blame Smith for the loss by any means. But let's recognize that Smith's limitations exacerbate rather than mitigate weaknesses in the OL and receiving corps.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
P. Manning got rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less against the Chiefs. That's what "carrying" looks like.

I don't blame Smith for the loss by any means. But let's recognize that Smith's limitations exacerbate rather than mitigate weaknesses in the OL and receiving corps.

I still don't get that Screen play on 2 and goal. The slowest player and they run a screen to him.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 11:08 PM
I still don't get that Screen play on 2 and goal. The slowest player and they run a screen to him.

It worked for a TD to Sherman in the Cleveland game.

You have to be unpredictable when Alex Smith is your QB.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
It worked for a TD to Sherman in the Cleveland game.

You have to be unpredictable when Alex Smith is your QB.

Sherman play was 12 yards out. Not at the 5 yard line.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 11:14 PM

It was a bootleg. The OL didn't fail.

HolyHat
11-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I just had to step in here and LOLOLOL

cdcox
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM

Yeah, that was a turd. Fasano seems very limited in terms of YAC, so I would not have called that play in that circumstance.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:19 PM
It was a bootleg. The OL didn't fail.

I agree it was a Bootleg but the LB was in Alex Face in 1sec

JakeLV
11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
It's crazy how polarizing this dude is.

I get it. He's got a good story. Even my girlfriend is rooting for the Chiefs this year because of Alex. But he's a middle of the road QB, who has had a few peaks and valleys this season.

The vitriol with which some of you folks go at it is insane. Neither extreme is accurate. The answer is somewhere in the middle.

And this post, just like every other one in this thread, and all the ones in other Alex Smith's threads, falls on deaf ears.

ShowtimeSBMVP
Clay i know you got the game. Is it me or did the refs miss a Offside call on 1st and goal.

cdcox

I'm gonna need to see a GIF on the 1 second so I can put a stopwatch to it. Was someone supposed to block the LB or was the LB supposed to be the guy that gets beat by the bootleg action?

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 11:23 PM

San Diego sniffed out the play design. No one was supposed to block that defender, he was supposed to bite on the fake and didn't.

Make if Alex could be trusted to make difficult throws we could do something other than run-TE-screen-bootleg down by the goal line.

BossChief
11-27-2013, 11:26 PM

That's bullshit.

We lost by 10.

Avery's drop cost us AT LEAST 3.
Bowes drop cost us AT LEAST 3.
Sherman's fumble cost us AT LEAST 3, and Denver scored 7 on the turnover.

Alex threw some REALLY nice passes in that game that should have been big time difference makers.

Was he perfect?

Haha, no.

Did he play well enough to have a good chance at leaving Denver with a win?

I think he did.

And I'm not exactly one of the Alex Smith condom swallowers.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
San Diego sniffed out the play design. No one was supposed to block that defender, he was supposed to bite on the fake and didn't.

Make if Alex could be trusted to make difficult throws we could do something other than run-TE-screen-bootleg down by the goal line.

Dude no QB could make a play that LB was in his mug fast.

Hammock Parties
Dude no QB could make a play that LB was in his mug fast.

I agree the play was dead as soon as the LB failed to bite.

But that's the risk you take with Alex Smith. Why not ask him to just drop back and attempt to fit the ball into a window?

cdcox
The answer is somewhere in the middle.

And this has been the problem for 43 years and counting. We need an extreme answer for a change:

"This QB is one of the greatest of all time and he is in his prime and we have him for the next 15 years!"

Instead the vast majority of the people we've trotted out at the QB position have been on the wrong end of the spectrum or at best from the middle of the spectrum. Many of us find this never ending state of affairs unacceptable.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:29 PM
I agree the play was dead as soon as the LB failed to bite.

But that's the risk you take with Alex Smith. Why not ask him to just drop back and attempt to fit the ball into a window?

Andy has to get some blame that's 2 awful play calls.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Andy has to get some blame that's 2 awful play calls.

He called them for a reason.

http://i.imgur.com/RNWfNpQ.jpg

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2013, 11:30 PM
That's bullshit.

We lost by 10.

Avery's drop cost us AT LEAST 3.
Bowes drop cost us AT LEAST 3.
Sherman's fumble cost us AT LEAST 3, and Denver scored 7 on the turnover.

Alex threw some REALLY nice passes in that game that should have been big time difference makers.

Was he perfect?

Haha, no.

Did he play well enough to have a good chance at leaving Denver with a win?

I think he did.

Damn your become well versed in Alexcuses dude, great QBs overcome those problems, for example look how Tom Brady has persevered with the shit hand he's been given.

HolyHat
11-27-2013, 11:33 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a00640906a0d29e12897848b7d956566/tumblr_mfke7jDVAx1r1u4svo1_400.png

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Clay you have to post a GIF of Lewis dropping that gift INT with 1:17 left.

BossChief
11-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Also, pinning the SD loss on Alex is flat out ridiculous.

He played a good game against them and if Andy Reid doesn't fuck up clock management, his performance would be looked at completely differently.

JakeLV
11-27-2013, 11:39 PM
And this has been the problem for 43 years and counting. We need an extreme answer for a change:

"This QB is one of the greatest of all time and he is in his prime and we have him for the next 15 years!"

Instead the vast majority of the people we've trotted out at the QB position have been on the wrong end of the spectrum or at best from the middle of the spectrum. Many of us find this never ending state of affairs unacceptable.

With very good reason!

Chiefs are absolutely due for an actual Franchise QB. Not some also-ran.

But if you play the game for Superbowl wins, I will take a Trent Dilfer for a few years if it means hoisting the Lombardi.

HolyHat
11-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Also, pinning the SD loss on Alex is flat out ridiculous.

He played a good game against them and if Andy Reid doesn't **** up clock management, his performance would be looked at completely differently.

I agree. This falls on the lack of defensive adjustments, and Andy finger banging the clock.

BossChief
11-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Th only way Rivers should have gotten the ball back was if he won a coin flip in OT.

SD couldn't stop Charles...no need to call that to and then pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 5.

That decision probably ends up costing us the divison.

HolyHat
11-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Th only way Rivers should have gotten the ball back was if he won a coin flip in OT.

SD couldn't stop Charles...no need to call that to and then pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 5.

While we are talking about coin flips. Do you agree that we need to be deferring every chance we get?

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-27-2013, 11:55 PM

All Kendrick Lewis has to do is make the catch with 1:17 left. Chiefs win

BossChief
11-28-2013, 12:24 AM
All Kendrick Lewis has to do is make the catch with 1:17 left. Chiefs win

Remember when you laughed at me for suggesting Lewis would cost us a game or two?

Shit, even with the coaches keeping him out of the game and hiding him, he still found a way to cost us one.

Terrible signing.

BossChief
11-28-2013, 12:29 AM
While we are talking about coin flips. Do you agree that we need to be deferring every chance we get?

I'm torn on that issue.

On one hand, this whole team plays much better with a lead and taking the ball first gives us the chance to do exactly that.

On the other hand, the defense has severely limited most offenses and getting an early 3 n out is huge cause its like getting the ball in both halves.

I guess it just depends on the opponent for me.

Facing teams like SD and Denver, I'd rather have the ball first because their defenses aren't really tough to score on and we are built to play with a lead.

If we are facing a team with a really good defense, I'd rather get the ball in the second half.

ThaVirus
11-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Kick every fucking time. The opponent doesn't matter; just kick.

stevieray
11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
IMO, he already has...

HolyHat
11-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Kick every ****ing time. The opponent doesn't matter; just kick.

Yes. Defense must set the tone for this team.

BossChief
11-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Reasons I'd take the ball first against Denver in KC if we have the opportunity:

1) Team is built to play with the lead
2) It's gonna be much colder in the second half, something that effects Manning a great dal.
3) We need to get the crowd in it early...if we give them the all first and they go down and score 6, that's gonna take some wind out of the sails.
4) If we are playing from behind, that lets them allow Von Miller to pin his ears back. That's something I don't want to see.
5) this offense needs to get in a rhythm early and keep their defense on their heels.

BossChief
11-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Yes. Defense must set the tone for this team.

How about the tone of the second half when we can make halftime adjustments to further limit the 5head?

HolyHat
11-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Reasons I'd take the ball first against Denver in KC if we have the opportunity:

1) Team is built to play with the lead
2) It's gonna be much colder in the second half, something that effects Manning a great dal.
3) We need to get the crowd in it early...if we give them the all first and they go down and score 6, that's gonna take some wind out of the sails.
4) If we are playing from behind, that lets them allow Von Miller to pin his ears back. That's something I don't want to see.
5) this offense needs to get in a rhythm early and keep their defense on their heels.

I like all of this. But I just don't trust the offense. Even after the barnburner last week.

JF08
11-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Expected points and EPA explained
Looking at how ESPN's new play-by-play metric works

"Let's start with what seems like a pretty basic question: Which team has the best offense in the NFL? How about the best defense? Special teams?

Although opinions on these matters can vary wildly, the objective statistical measure of these aspects of football has usually been something that relies on yards. The league's offenses are ranked by which teams averaged the most yards per game; the defenses are judged by who allowed the fewest yards per game.

But, as most experienced football fans know, yards can be extremely deceiving. For example, if a team has impressive yardage totals but turns the ball over frequently or fails to convert in the red zone consistently, what use are all those yards in terms of actual points on the scoreboard? (Eagles fans might understand this plight better than anyone.)

And not all yards are created equal. Would you rather have 8 yards on third-and-10 or 3 yards on third-and-2?

Finally, the team with greater yards from scrimmage has won less than 70 percent of games over the past five seasons. So clearly, winning the yardage battle is not the same as winning the game in the NFL, as other factors not measured in traditional yardage stats play a large role, as well.

But don't fret, NFL fans, there is a statistical solution to this problem: It's called "expected points." Although it does rely on some advanced math, the benefits of using this framework make it more than worth it to understand up front.

Based on statistical analysis of 10 years of NFL play-by-play data, ESPN has created a formula that assigns an "expected points" value to the team with the ball at the start of each play based on the game situation. Expected points (EP) accounts for factors such as down, distance to go, field position, home-field advantage and time remaining.

The value it puts out is on a scale from about minus-3 to 7, and it basically represents "which team is likely to score next, and how many points?" It represents the likely points not just on the current drive but also on the next drive or any subsequent drive until the score changes or the half ends. A lower value indicates a more favorable situation for the defense (i.e. fourth-and-20 from your own 1-yard line could be close to minus-3 EP), and a higher value represents a more favorable situation for the offense (i.e. first-and-goal is generally worth 6 EP).

Without going into technical details, the key is that the relationships in the EP formula encapsulate the basic tenets of football, including:

• Being closer to the opposing goal line and farther from your own is better

• Earlier downs are better (first-and-10 is better than second-and-10, etc.)

• Shorter distance to go is better

• Being at home is better

(If most of this sounds pretty fundamental and obvious to you, that's a good thing. The point here is that the math is consistent with how the game works.)"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8379024/nfl-explaining-expected-points-metric

In case you're wondering, Alex Smith currently ranks 13th in Total EPA.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaTotal

Clay I'm dying to hear your response to this.

RunKC
11-28-2013, 03:01 AM
Honestly, I don't give a shit if we lose to Denver this weekend if this offense shows what it has the last 2 weeks. It's 11 weeks into a new system and they are starting to gel.

I would not be surprised to see us score around 30 again this week. They are really starting to come together. It was mental mistakes that cost us in the first Bronco game.

DeVito is coming off an injury, Tamba is obviously not at 100% and Houston isn't even playing. This defense can get it done. They have proven that 2 weeks ago.

If the offense continues to play like they have and get better, then them being complimented with a healthy legit defense is at least the 3rd best team in the conference.

I'm excited as fuck for the offense next year when we get Kelce back and add more pieces to receiving core and OL.