PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone Else Used To Get Scared at These As Kids?

Dayze
11-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I used to friggin' hate hearing this on the TV; used to freak me out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lYOlnuxZzNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lWt4Di6zr14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters
11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Still freaks me out. Since May 2011.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2013, 03:54 PM
I love the sound of air raid klaxons. Always have.

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Still freaks me out. Since May 2011.

No kidding. I'm still jumpy myself.

Dayze
11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
what was May 2011?

BlackHelicopters
11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
what was May 2011?

Gusty winds in SWMO

Dayze
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
LMAO I just noticed a few pranks of these on youtube.

Most of the younger kids in the videos are like "meh"; but those out age who used to hear that shit when we were freaking out.
I wouldn't have the heart to do something like that.

Dayze
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Gusty winds in SWMO

:banghead:
Doh.

siberian khatru
11-26-2013, 04:28 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lw7dt0AhXXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J Diddy
11-26-2013, 04:30 PM
what was May 2011?

I'll give you the date: 22nd.

Dayze
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
:eek:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1fFEEQO5IRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
I love the sound of air raid klaxons. Always have.

Hamas,

Do you know anything about Sri Lanka ?

Demonpenz
11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
The Tornado warning in the bottom right looked like the godfathers pizza logo back in the 80's yes I was a fat kid.

a pp roach
11-26-2013, 07:11 PM
yeah i still get startled when i first hear it...i'll tell you what tho..sure does what it's supposed to do and alerts people...

people with hearing that is

GloryDayz
11-26-2013, 07:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1fFEEQO5IRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who needs a tanning bed when.......................

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Hamas,

Do you know anything about Sri Lanka ?

Simply Red, we've got a lot more important things than Sri Lanka to worry about.

Easy 6
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
That siren used to scare the crap outta me, even the tuesday tornado siren would get me all jumpy... mom, mom! what is that!?... i grew up in the days where we still had nuclear attack drills at school, that'll put the fear in you.

Get under your desks! LMAO... yes, thank you for that utterly useless advice.

Frazod
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
The town I lived in got hit by a tornado when I was a little kid, so the tornado sirens freaked me out a bit until I got older. Hit my grandparents' farm really hard, killed a guy my mom worked with.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Three reasons this has always fucked with me:

1) The Day After. I went teen about the arse end of the cold war and it seemed like in the 80's every TV movie was trying to tell you how horribly you were going to die.

(First shot in this vid is from Arrowhead.)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7VG2aJyIFrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2) So as a kid once the idea takes hold I started looking around and my old school had bomb shelters. Buildings I went to had them displayed. It just sticks in your head.

Skip to when I'm in my 20's and all our siren tests were on (I really don't remember what day now, I'm just throwing this out there) Tuesday. It'd been on Tuesday for 20 years.

One day they decide to change the day and do a similar radio test.

I nearly $3it my pants...

3) This sounds very similar.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MWbFni6_25Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2013, 08:13 PM
The Day After is the movie that prompted Reagan's Star Wars speech/initiative. Besides, it nukes Lawrence, so it ain't that bad.

Rausch
11-26-2013, 08:17 PM
The Day After is the movie that prompted Reagan's Star Wars speech/initiative.

That's what they say...

MOhillbilly
11-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I miss the commies.

People call you racist for hating Muslims.

If you said bomb the commies back to the Stone Age no one would even blink.

Dayze
11-27-2013, 12:11 AM
That siren used to scare the crap outta me, even the tuesday tornado siren would get me all jumpy... mom, mom! what is that!?... i grew up in the days where we still had nuclear attack drills at school, that'll put the fear in you.

Get under your desks! LMAO... yes, thank you for that utterly useless advice.

one fallouts greatest nemesis; poorly constructed school desks.

J Diddy
11-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Three reasons this has always ****ed with me:

1) The Day After. I went teen about the arse end of the cold war and it seemed like in the 80's every TV movie was trying to tell you how horribly you were going to die.

(First shot in this vid is from Arrowhead.)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7VG2aJyIFrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2) So as a kid once the idea takes hold I started looking around and my old school had bomb shelters. Buildings I went to had them displayed. It just sticks in your head.

Skip to when I'm in my 20's and all our siren tests were on (I really don't remember what day now, I'm just throwing this out there) Tuesday. It'd been on Tuesday for 20 years.

One day they decide to change the day and do a similar radio test.

I nearly $3it my pants...

3) This sounds very similar.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MWbFni6_25Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Day After, I was just thinking about that the other day. Not so much nuclear war movies, but more along the lines that it seemed when I was growing up in the 80's there was actually entertaining made for tv movies on. Not so much anymore.

ciaomichael
11-27-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty sure the first scene in the attack series in The Day After was Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, KS. Many of the other scenes were in Kansas City, though. The people on the highway were heading west out of town on I-70.

Sadly, the Emergency Alert System performs poorly today - worse than it did 40 years ago. It was never really properly integrated with cable TV. In the 1999 Moore, OK tornado, at one point the EAS interrupted and cut off the audio from local stations that actually had their meteorologists covering the storm continuously. If we actually had anything like a nuclear emergency today, no one would have a clue as to what to do. At least we had those yellow and black fallout shelter symbols back in the 60's....might not have been much, but at least it was something.

Dayze
11-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Say, 'dat reminds me:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X3Ssi9rZ18c/UQ1c8BpThJI/AAAAAAAAAzE/ELgwD87Q0Fw/s1600/Glen+Raising+Arizona.jpg

Was the EAS activated during 911? I don't remember that it was. But, it would seem that would've been a good time to turn it on.

Archie F. Swin
11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
as a child of the 80s....this is the sound that freaked my freak

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MdikAtOnzd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fat Elvis
11-27-2013, 08:57 AM
A whole bunch of you apparently hate Mondays at noon when they test the sirens every week.

TLO
11-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Very interesting.

Gonzo
11-27-2013, 11:33 AM
The Day After is a pretty good movie as far as what a Nuke would've done to us in the 1950's and 60's. Now? Nothing left if one of the major players were to strike. I mean, if Omar from Lickmycockistan got his hands on a few old missiles from the storage facility Stalin forgot about, yeah... We'd be ok.
Now? Not so much.

My dad was a Boomer on 135's and KC 10's. When he went on alert out of Goose-Bay, they'd make him wear either an eye patch or goggles that had gold on the lenses so he wouldn't be blinded. The eye patch was worn at night and always freaked him out. The USAF was like, "look dude, you still have one good eye so you can refuel the Bombers on your way to the polar ice caps. There you'll land and 'wait for rescue.' Seriously, we'll come and get you after things calm down a bit."

They stocked the tankers with 2 weeks worth of MRE's and some warm gear. Oh, and a .38 revolver for polar bear attacks.

Fucking government... Always prepared!

kepp
11-27-2013, 12:36 PM
The Day After is a pretty good movie as far as what a Nuke would've done to us in the 1950's and 60's. Now? Nothing left if one of the major players were to strike. I mean, if Omar from Lickmycockistan got his hands on a few old missiles from the storage facility Stalin forgot about, yeah... We'd be ok.
Now? Not so much.

My dad was a Boomer on 135's and KC 10's. When he went on alert out of Goose-Bay, they'd make him wear either an eye patch or goggles that had gold on the lenses so he wouldn't be blinded. The eye patch was worn at night and always freaked him out. The USAF was like, "look dude, you still have one good eye so you can refuel the Bombers on your way to the polar ice caps. There you'll land and 'wait for rescue.' Seriously, we'll come and get you after things calm down a bit."

They stocked the tankers with 2 weeks worth of MRE's and some warm gear. Oh, and a .38 revolver for polar bear attacks.

****ing government... Always prepared!

Yeah, that should do it. ROFL

Radar Chief
11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Eh, grew up on the edge of tornado alley. Emergency Alert and siren tests were/are a weekly deal here.

Tombstone RJ
11-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Eh, grew up on the edge of tornado alley. Emergency Alert and siren tests were/are a weekly deal here.

best to just ignore them...