PDA

View Full Version : Poop Chiefs Just Aren't There Yet

jspchief
12-02-2013, 08:41 AM
The front page is littered with threads targeting areas of blame, but the reality is this loss was a team effort. It's becoming clear that the Chiefs are a good team, but a long way from a legitimate threat to make noise in the post season. They are good enough to beat the bad teams, and probably good enough to hold their own against great teams, but no one with an objective opinion will say they are in the top tier of the NFL.

And while every game seems to give fans a new way to point the finger in blame, the truth is the entire team has come up short.

Offensive Coaching: Reid's playcalling is bipolar. The more I watch, the more I begin to believe his playcalling is only good in scripted situations. He seems to lack a feel for what's working (or not working) and why. His adjustments throughout the game seem take too long to come, and as soon as those adjustments begin to work, he reverts to the things that didn't work. Reid's clock management is awful. We may have all heard it would be, but seeing it in action really drives it home. He just doesn't appear to have an understanding of how playcalling, timeouts, and the clock mesh together in < 4:00 situations.

Defensive Coaching: Sutton has been exposed. He put a scheme in place that succeeded when there was no tape, against bad teams. With each week, teams have found more ways to exploit the defense, and the only adjustments he makes seem to be geared at moving away from the things that did work while doing nothing to fix the things that don't. They've gone from an attacking D that occasionally got burned, to a passive D that routinely gets burned. His in game adjustments simply don't exist. When you see a receiver get 100 yds in a qtr or score 4 tds in a game, when you see a QB pass for 250 yards in a qtr, that's an offense finding a weakness and a defensive coordinator who has no idea how to plug the hole.

Receivers: If there's one sure thing from the KC offense, it's dropped passes. If Avery never sees another snap in KC I'm ok with it. Jenkins dodged a bullet when he was traded to KC, and has used every opportunity he gets on the field to show he didn't deserve the shot KC gave him. Bowe still can't catch the easy ones and Charles has dropped his fair share of easy balls too. I've never seen a group of receivers that collectively struggle so regularly to catch. In a league full of highlights of one handed grabs and ripping the ball from the air in traffic, the Chiefs have put up a feature length film on balls hitting them in the facemask and bouncing of their chest.

Quarterback: Alex Smith just displayed his ceiling last night, and at his best it includes too many errant throws and holding the ball too long. His deep balls rarely hit guys in stride. His touch passes routinely float or go at the target's feet. He's slow with progressions and seems to regularly be a few steps late on hitting his receivers. For all his veteran experience, I don't think his pre-snap reads go beyond picking a target. He never seems to spot post-snap mistakes from the defense to exploit them. The best he can do is stand there and wait for the guy he locks on to to get open (instead of anticipate him coming open), then deliver the ball just in time for the defensive player to have recovered.

Defense: The only thing it actually does well is perform against bad teams. Does Akeem Jordan play for the Chiefs? Or is Berry our other LB? Has there ever been a worse collection of free safeties in the league? Watching Lewis, Demps, and Abdullah all make the same mistakes in the same game is nauseating. Does any chiefs defender know how to tackle a player that crosses the line of scrimmage? For all the love of Hali, does he have a pass rush move besides trying to beat the guy outside then laying on the clothesline? For all the Poe hype, QBs have a pocket to have a picnic in. Flower's physicality near the line of scrimmage is commendable, but I can't remember the last time I felt comfortable with him in coverage. Sean Smith sticks to his guy pretty well, but never turns his head.

The point is, this team in it's current state really isn't great at anything. They are capable of playing great in spurts, but there's not a single aspect of the game that can be expected to bail the team out or carry the load. The running game isn't dependable, the passing game isn't dependable, the pass rush isn't dependable, the coverage and tackling isn't dependable, and the coaching isn't dependable.

This is an 8-8 team that had the luxury of playing a lot of bad teams and teams in bad spots. Until some units take the next step, that's all they will be.

Simply Red
12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
they are who we thought they were!

GloryDayz
12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
We're really close though... Woot...

ptlyon
12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Nope, we aren't. It was a good run. The season at least was fun. Time to dream of next year like we have for all of our other previous seasons.

KCUnited
12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Hard to argue with any of that, nice post.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Nope, we aren't. It was a good run. The season at least was fun. Time to dream of next year like we have for all of our other previous seasons.

we need a REAL safety to team with Berry. Derps, Abdullah and Lewis should not be back next year. 2 of those guys may not belong on NFL rosters.

we need REAL WRs who will actually catch the ball. Jenkins, Avery, and McFuckstick should not be back next year. 2 of those guys do not belong on NFL rosters.

notorious
12-02-2013, 08:56 AM
we need a REAL safety to team with Berry. Derps, Abdullah and Lewis should not be back next year. 2 of those guys may not belong on NFL rosters.

we need REAL WRs who will actually catch the ball. Jenkins, Avery, and Mc****stick should not be back next year. 2 of those guys do not belong on NFL rosters.

This.

Except none of the safeties listed are worth a ****.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
This.

Except none of the safeties listed are worth a ****.

Derps seems as if he has value on special teams/3rd string Defense.

Lewis and Abdullah don't get jobs after they leave here.

jspchief
12-02-2013, 08:59 AM
we need a REAL safety to team with Berry. Derps, Abdullah and Lewis should not be back next year. 2 of those guys may not belong on NFL rosters. Not only are they never in position to provide help, they take terrible angles whenever someone gets beat.

I swear to god if we lined up with 10 guys and left the FS off the field, our defense wouldn't look any different.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Not only are they never in position to provide help, they take terrible angles whenever someone gets beat.

I swear to god if we lined up with 10 guys and left the FS off the field, our defense wouldn't look any different.

it's true; hell, it may help...you'd have to call a defense that compensates for the giant hole at FS.

notorious
12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Not only are they never in position to provide help, they take terrible angles whenever someone gets beat.

I was thinking the same thing.

suds79
12-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Hard to argue with any of that, nice post.

The only think I disagree with what the OP said was the 8-8 part.

You are what your record says you are. Did they play some cupcakes? Yes. But that happens every year. Next year some other team will benefit from playing cupcakes. schedule is a huge factor.

If you say that about the Chiefs then that'd be like saying Denver is really only a 10-6 type of team beating up on bad teams while losing to good ones.... No it doesn't work that way. You are what your record says it is.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM

You are what your record says you are. Did they play some cupcakes? Yes. But that happens every year. Next year some other team will benefit from playing cupcakes. schedule is a huge factor.

If you say that about the Chiefs then that'd be like saying Denver is really only a 10-6 type of team beating up on bad teams while losing to good ones.... No it doesn't work that way. You are what your record says it is.
like Ditka says : 'You are what your record says you are'

so, we're a 9-3 team that has no FS, and no depth at WR behind Bowe and Hemingway. And that's not a good look in today's NFL with its emphasis on passing.

ChiefsSuckBalls
12-02-2013, 09:17 AM
We just need to work on scheduling more teams that start 3rd string QB's. It's really that simple.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Stephan A. Smith on ESPN talking about how our WRs blew that game.

Ace Gunner
12-02-2013, 09:21 AM
It'd be great to get a better QB, but you don't know shit about QB'ing and Alex Smiff.

WR's that can play at the pro level -- you know, catch. that's all they need to compete against the world's best right now.

They need their BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER back and the defense needs to get back to consistent pass rush.

The "Sutton Sucks" stupidity is really catching on -- good job parrots, you are so good at putting dumbassery front and center.

End of 2013 story.

ChiTown
This is an 8-8 team that had the luxury of playing a lot of bad teams and teams in bad spots. Until some units take the next step, that's all they will be.

I agree with everything you said, especially this.:clap:

I'm upset, but I blame myself more than anything. I bought the hype - hook, line and sinker. This team just has too many holes, too many problem areas, and not nearly enough play-makers to make a legit playoff run. We MIGHT win a wildcard game against one of those .500 teams, MIGHT. But, i would fully expect a biblical sized ass raping from Denver in the next round.

Meh, win a playoff game, get that monkey off our backs, and I'll be mildly enthused going into next year. In the off-season, we HAVE TO upgrade:

1. FS - Jesus, what a disgrace this is
2. WR - If Alex Smith is your QB, we need a Wes Welker type that can go short routes and pick up 6-8 yards after the catch. McCluster is fucking garbage
3. TE - same as number 2. A good TE can make an average QB (Smith) look better. Fasano is okay, but we need better than okay with AS running this offense.
4. Backup QB - we need a legit backup QB who can push Smith. Chase Daniel is fugging pathetic to have as a backup. QB's get injured in this league. Holy shit, I can't even imagine what a shit show this offense would be with Daniel at QB:doh!:. Oh, and save the Tyler Bray BS for someone who doesn't have a brain.
5. LB - need to develop better depth, especially at OLB. We are naked without Houston and/or Hali
6. OL - Need a revamp - I'm hoping FA is kind to us in this department. Can't believe Fisher is ever going to be a legit 1:1. He's looked better, but he's not a mauler, and he'll never be a premier OT in this league.
7. Did I mention FS?:banghead:

rabblerouser
We just need to work on scheduling more teams that start 3rd string QB's. It's really that simple.

LMAO

it's hard to schedule 3rd teamers for a playoff run though

warrior
12-02-2013, 09:22 AM

whoman69
12-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Avery and Lewis played like crap and came up small in several situations. Lewis wasn't even close to getting over when Cooper got beat on that first touchdown. Lewis is afraid to hit as well.

notorious
12-02-2013, 09:24 AM
They need their BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER back and the defense needs to get back to consistent pass rush.

This defense has gotten fisted for over a month even when their best defenders were on the field.

jspchief
12-02-2013, 09:26 AM

If you say that about the Chiefs then that'd be like saying Denver is really only a 10-6 type of team beating up on bad teams while losing to good ones.... No it doesn't work that way. You are what your record says it is.Spin how you want. My point is the Chiefs this year have only looked exceptional against bad teams.

Jimmya
12-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Sutton will be fired by the end of next year.

Ace Gunner
12-02-2013, 09:28 AM
This defense has gotten fisted for over a month even when their best defenders were on the field.

you really are lost

Marcellus
12-02-2013, 09:32 AM
We are much improved team over the last few years, we just need a few more pieces and time to continue building on what we have.

The9-0 start was fun and raised eyebrows but I know I didn't think we were the best team in the NFL.

The defensive freefall has been troubling but really we have only been pounded by Manning and Rivers who are both having outstanding seasons and Manning is just playing out of his mind right now as much as I hate to say it. Yea we gave up yards to some scrubs but we didn't give up points and made plays when necessary minus the last 3 games. We had lots of opportunity against Rivers and let them slip through our fingers. We have let games slip through our fingers on offense and defense the last 3 weeks. This >< close to changing the outcome.

Its not too late to pull it together and win a playoff game.

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2013, 09:33 AM
The front page is littered with threads targeting areas of blame, but the reality is this loss was a team effort. It's becoming clear that the Chiefs are a good team, but a long way from a legitimate threat to make noise in the post season. They are good enough to beat the bad teams, and probably good enough to hold their own against great teams, but no one with an objective opinion will say they are in the top tier of the NFL.

And while every game seems to give fans a new way to point the finger in blame, the truth is the entire team has come up short.

Offensive Coaching: Reid's playcalling is bipolar. The more I watch, the more I begin to believe his playcalling is only good in scripted situations. He seems to lack a feel for what's working (or not working) and why. His adjustments throughout the game seem take too long to come, and as soon as those adjustments begin to work, he reverts to the things that didn't work. Reid's clock management is awful. We may have all heard it would be, but seeing it in action really drives it home. He just doesn't appear to have an understanding of how playcalling, timeouts, and the clock mesh together in < 4:00 situations.

Defensive Coaching: Sutton has been exposed. He put a scheme in place that succeeded when there was no tape, against bad teams. With each week, teams have found more ways to exploit the defense, and the only adjustments he makes seem to be geared at moving away from the things that did work while doing nothing to fix the things that don't. They've gone from an attacking D that occasionally got burned, to a passive D that routinely gets burned. His in game adjustments simply don't exist. When you see a receiver get 100 yds in a qtr or score 4 tds in a game, when you see a QB pass for 250 yards in a qtr, that's an offense finding a weakness and a defensive coordinator who has no idea how to plug the hole.

Receivers: If there's one sure thing from the KC offense, it's dropped passes. If Avery never sees another snap in KC I'm ok with it. Jenkins dodged a bullet when he was traded to KC, and has used every opportunity he gets on the field to show he didn't deserve the shot KC gave him. Bowe still can't catch the easy ones and Charles has dropped his fair share of easy balls too. I've never seen a group of receivers that collectively struggle so regularly to catch. In a league full of highlights of one handed grabs and ripping the ball from the air in traffic, the Chiefs have put up a feature length film on balls hitting them in the facemask and bouncing of their chest.

Quarterback: Alex Smith just displayed his ceiling last night, and at his best it includes too many errant throws and holding the ball too long. His deep balls rarely hit guys in stride. His touch passes routinely float or go at the target's feet. He's slow with progressions and seems to regularly be a few steps late on hitting his receivers. For all his veteran experience, I don't think his pre-snap reads go beyond picking a target. He never seems to spot post-snap mistakes from the defense to exploit them. The best he can do is stand there and wait for the guy he locks on to to get open (instead of anticipate him coming open), then deliver the ball just in time for the defensive player to have recovered.

Defense: The only thing it actually does well is perform against bad teams. Does Akeem Jordan play for the Chiefs? Or is Berry our other LB? Has there ever been a worse collection of free safeties in the league? Watching Lewis, Demps, and Abdullah all make the same mistakes in the same game is nauseating. Does any chiefs defender know how to tackle a player that crosses the line of scrimmage? For all the love of Hali, does he have a pass rush move besides trying to beat the guy outside then laying on the clothesline? For all the Poe hype, QBs have a pocket to have a picnic in. Flower's physicality near the line of scrimmage is commendable, but I can't remember the last time I felt comfortable with him in coverage. Sean Smith sticks to his guy pretty well, but never turns his head.

The point is, this team in it's current state really isn't great at anything. They are capable of playing great in spurts, but there's not a single aspect of the game that can be expected to bail the team out or carry the load. The running game isn't dependable, the passing game isn't dependable, the pass rush isn't dependable, the coverage and tackling isn't dependable, and the coaching isn't dependable.

The Chiefs aren't there yet. I'm just really, really surprised at who you picked as the culprits.

Alex smith had a very good game. I'm not sure what game you were watching. It was by a mile the most aggressive he played and his accuracy on tough throws was terrific. No mention of the receivers? Over the last two Denver games, they're responsible for probably around 10 drops and over 200 passing yards missed.

Blaming Hali? The problem is that cooper has been targeted, and young guy that he is, he made mistakes. Our safeties are terrible and provide no over the top help. Terrible tackling angles leading to huge gains. Never, ever making the right reads to break up plays and so slow they show up 5 steps too late.

Smith has been terrific the last two weeks. And we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with holding calls that force 2nd and 20s, and bad decisions like dexter backing us to the 1. I don't know where scheme falls in here... Certainly reason for concern, but let's not focus on 20 percent of the problem and instead focus on 80 percent of the problem which is lack of talent at oline, horrible talent and hands at receiver, horrible free safety and dime options, a gassed and beat up front 7, and until two games ago, an ineffective QB. There is only so much scheme can do to hide those problems.

Reaper16
12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Yup. It's why I'm not really mad about these last three games. I had no realistic expectation that this was a playoff game-winning team, even after the 9-0 start.

Look at this year like the re-building year that it is and you'll see lots of positives. Cooper is getting toasted? That experience will help him immensely for next season. Alex Smith has been forced to elevate his game against the good teams, and he's showing that he's a WR corps away from being playoff-capable.

Hopefully Sutton is learning that he's going to have to offer up more, schematically, than the one-trick pony that fueled the 9-0 start. If he can learn to make adjustments then this team will be better next season. Truly better.

ILChief
12-02-2013, 09:42 AM
I agree with the overall points of the OP, maybe not some of the specifics. We aren't up to Denver or new England's level yet, but we are on par with Cincinnati and Indianapolis. We are somewhere in the 3-5 range in the AFC.

Considering where we were that's not too bad

CallMeSquidwad
12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

While trying to play moderator you really just took all of those front page threads blaming our team and brought it to one page LMAO So it really got nothing accomplished and you just threw yourself in with those morons jumping ship. Dumb thread, if you can be objective and see that we aren't there yet then just have some perspective of where we came from. When I hear our fans ask if we should start Donald Stephenson over Fish to give us a better chance this year it literally boggles the mind. Our fans must be clueless. Have some perspective chiefs fans, 365 days ago all we were talking about was Belcher's murder suicide.

scho63
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Nice write up

I think we are about 5-6 good players away:

Two strong and fast coverage guys
Two speedy receivers with good hands
One offensive lineman
One more defensive beast

I don't see anything else missing after that

Ace Gunner
12-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Yup. It's why I'm not really mad about these last three games. I had no realistic expectation that this was a playoff game-winning team, even after the 9-0 start.

Look at this year like the re-building year that it is and you'll see lots of positives. Cooper is getting toasted? That experience will help him immensely for next season. Alex Smith has been forced to elevate his game against the good teams, and he's showing that he's a WR corps away from being playoff-capable.

Hopefully Sutton is learning that he's going to have to offer up more, schematically, than the one-trick pony that fueled the 9-0 start. If he can learn to make adjustments then this team will be better next season. Truly better.

I'm with you on most of this, but the defense had plenty of wrinkles yesterday and they were put in position to make plays, but did not.

we did not see the rubs/pick routes effect the Chiefs yesterday as it did last game because Sutton used various alignments & mixed zone schemes to get these players in a position to make plays.

the DB's are too slow. bottom line. Cooper & Berry are not, but the rest are too slow for today's game. The Patriots have speed in the secondary and perhaps the best defensive coach in the modern era.

Sutton is a good coach, he knows today's game. He just doesn't have enough speed back there.

Ragged Robin
12-02-2013, 10:04 AM
These last couple games have been dead close and only a couple critical plays away from being wins. Playoffs as a wildcard will be tough but it's not over yet..

jspchief
12-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Nice write up

One offensive lineman
One more defensive beast

I don't see anything else missing after thatYeah I don't even necessarily think we need that many. We have a lot of young guys. If a few of them can step their game up that list becomes much shorter.

I'm absolutely convinced we need a few receivers that can be counted on to catch the damn ball. I also believe we need a ball hawk in the secondary, and we don't have one right now.

If our young Olinemen and Poe can grow as players, we are a lot closer.

But we also need coaching that can adapt on the fly. Reid needs to recognize when running works. Sutton needs to have scheme flexibility.

Almost no one is performing their job at a high level right now. There's only 2 guys that I really feel are above reproach. You have to have multiple players playing at a high level to be a real contender in this league.

Bearcat
12-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah, not much has really changed... the same issues that caused close games against shitty teams are costing them wins against better offensive teams.

For someone who's been in a wait-and-see mode for the past two months, I think last night's game was pretty encouraging... the one big thing that's changed is that they're putting up some points despite the dropped passes, etc. Of course, they're giving up a lot of points, but that's going to happen. People want to poke holes in SoS and those types of stats, but you really do have to be on a different level if you want to consistently compete with and win those types of games, and seeing the Chiefs do the former the past couple of weeks is pretty encouraging.

Like you said, they simply aren't there yet, which is completely understandable... a lot of people have the idea that all you have to do is make the playoffs, but that's mostly crap. We knew they were a year or two away 4 weeks ago, and if anything has changed since then, they're closer than expected, but still at least another year away.

Steron
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I came into this season hoping for 5 wins and thought if the stars aligned the Chiefs would win 8. This season is a win for me. 9-0 start and a play-off appearance? I am thrilled.

I never expected them to beat Denver in Denver. A couple plays turn out differently and maybe it's a different outcome. The San Diego game was a crushing loss. Never should have happened. As for Denver in Kansas City. I never thought they would win that one either. Hoped? Sure. Again, a couple plays go KC's way and maybe they win.

Are there holes in the team? Certainly. Which team doesn't have holes somewhere? Dorsey and Reid are going to continue to churn the roster. The Chiefs appear to have direction. That's something they haven't had in a long time. They have me interested again, and that's saying something.

FloridaMan88
12-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Yesterday Alex Smith put several deep passes in perfect position for guys to catch the ball. Avery had 4 drops… all on potential big pass plays, Fasano had a drop on a big pass play and so did AJ Jenkins (although Jenkins made up for it with the big catch on 3rd and 14 at the end of the game).

CallMeSquidwad
12-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah I don't even necessarily think we need that many. We have a lot of young guys. If a few of them can step their game up that list becomes much shorter.

I'm absolutely convinced we need a few receivers that can be counted on to catch the damn ball. I also believe we need a ball hawk in the secondary, and we don't have one right now.

If our young Olinemen and Poe can grow as players, we are a lot closer.

But we also need coaching that can adapt on the fly. Reid needs to recognize when running works. Sutton needs to have scheme flexibility.

Almost no one is performing their job at a high level right now. There's only 2 guys that I really feel are above reproach. You have to have multiple players playing at a high level to be a real contender in this league.

Here you go being hypocritical again. Just go back to one of those threads you were shunning and keep ranting about how bad we are.....:deevee:

ILChief
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Our two glaring needs are a receiver that can catch and a safety that understands the concept of not giving up the deep ball. I hope sanders Commings is that player. Jenkins and hemmingway looked decent pretty good yesterday. Maybe 3 and 4 receivers. Avery is awful. Offensive line has been much better lately as has smith at qb.

Hopefully kelce, Commings, and nico Johnson contribute next year and fisher gains about 15 lbs of muscle and this draft class will be good. Knile Davis is looking like a legit RB and cooper is good but raw. Add in another draft and free agent class and our future is bright.

But we really need to beat Washington this week

The Franchise
12-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Yesterday Alex Smith put several deep passes in perfect position for guys to catch the ball. Avery had 4 drops… all on potential big pass plays, Fasano had a drop on a big pass play and so did AJ Jenkins (although Jenkins made up for it with the big catch on 3rd and 14 at the end of the game).

Yep...outside of the INT in the redzone and 1-2 other misfires....I was pleased with Smith. I actually felt bad for him during the game because of all of the drops.

jspchief
12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Here you go being hypocritical again. Just go back to one of those threads you were shunning and keep ranting about how bad we are.....:deevee:I have no idea wtf you are talking about. What am I shunning?

lcarus
12-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Nice write up

One offensive lineman
One more defensive beast

Yeah, we have some holes. Every single team has a few liabilities. Ours are just too much. Like you said we need a couple more really good players, and a couple more solid role players.

CallMeSquidwad
12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I have no idea wtf you are talking about. What am I shunning?

This whole thread was started by you acting like you were above these morons on this forum jumping ship and then all you precede to do is rant about the same exact shit that the people you shun are ranting about. A bit hypocritical don't we think?

warrior
12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Nice write up

One offensive lineman
One more defensive beast

Add a good TE with that and Im with ya :thumb:

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Spin how you want. My point is the Chiefs this year have only looked exceptional against bad teams.

We lost to the best team in the Nfl by a touchdown and had a shot in the end zone to tie. And that's considering we squandered lots of opportunities from dropped passes to an int in the end zone.

Chiefnj2
12-02-2013, 10:42 AM
We are pretty much a first round RT away from making a Super Bowl run.

notorious
12-02-2013, 10:44 AM

/thread

Nzoner
12-02-2013, 10:44 AM
We lost to the best team in the Nfl by a touchdown and had a shot in the end zone to tie. And that's considering we squandered lots of opportunities from dropped passes to an int in the end zone.

I'm calling BS on that.

GloryDayz
12-02-2013, 11:01 AM

This.... With the adjustments coach Andy will make this week, we're going to be a force to be reckoned with for the rest of the year and for years to come. We get Hali back 100%, Houston back 100% and with our new-found awesomeness on offense I'm not sure there's a team in the league that can hang with us. Not even close...

Tombstone RJ
12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
We are pretty much a first round RT, QB, TE, WR and CB away from making a Super Bowl run.

fyp

TEX
12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Add a good TE with that and Im with ya :thumb:

I think we have a good TE in Fasano. I'd like to see a more athletic-type TE in addition to Fasano.

TEX
12-02-2013, 11:05 AM

I think NE and Seattle might have something to say about that, but I get your point.

Nzoner
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I think NE and Seattle might have something to say about that, but I get your point.

I eluded to that above as well,hell,I think the Saints might have a little something to say too.

jspchief
12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
This whole thread was started by you acting like you were above these morons on this forum jumping ship and then all you precede to do is rant about the same exact shit that the people you shun are ranting about. A bit hypocritical don't we think?Um, no. This thread was started by me saying it's not just a single thing. That all phases of the team need to be better. You are one dense motherfucker.

Garcia Bronco
12-02-2013, 11:18 AM

To be fair, the Broncos were playing their 4th and 5th DBs with one being a rookie.

RunKC
12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
It's gonna take 2 more offseason a guys. I hope we get Maclin and draft the best receiver, be it WR or TE on the board.

Before people blast Maclin, he's going to be cheap as shit with his injury. He won't be a problem if he fails. More power to us.

Very happy to see progress on the OL tho. They did a fantastic job yesterday. No sacks given up.

The Bad Guy
12-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Sutton will be fired by the end of next year.

You're insane.

He doesn't deserve to be fired. Nor is this team going to turn over coaches after the last few years.

Reid is also one of the most loyal HC's there is. He's not canning anyone from this staff after year one.

3 games isn't going to sink Sutton's ship.

The Bad Guy
12-02-2013, 11:23 AM
It's gonna take 2 more offseason a guys. I hope we get Maclin and draft the best receiver, be it WR or TE on the board.

Before people blast Maclin, he's going to be cheap as shit with his injury. He won't be a problem if he fails. More power to us.

Very happy to see progress on the OL tho. They did a fantastic job yesterday. No sacks given up.

Maclin is going to get at least 3-4 million a year. He's not going to be peanuts.

The Bad Guy
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
If last night is Alex Smith's ceiling, you can absolutely go places with that. I'm very encouraged with him.

I think he's holding the ball longer because receivers just don't separate.

Marcellus
12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
One of the biggest take aways I have gotten from the last few games is if the OL blocks resonably well, and the WR catch the ball, the offense is more than adequate.

We should win 2 or more of our last 4 games and who knows what happens in the WC round.

Lightrise
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I think the situation is messier than I thought it was a month ago but I also think it is vastly more positive than I could have expected. So I break it down in several areas of concern I recognized before.

- I wondered why our defensive coordinator sat in the shadows in NY for so long. There is a ceiling with Sutton.
- I'm surprised that Davis hasn't fumbled the season away. I'm unconvinced you can ever 'fix' that problem.
- The draft just sucked. I thought it brilliant when Dorsey said there was room for both Fisher and Albert. Fisher turned out to be a major disappointment and now I'm worried. I thought the fullback we drafted and later cut was nothing short of stupid. I frankly didn't like the Nico pick and it is because of what I've read that he struggles in coverage, and thus that is why I think he's not on the field.
- Avery was a nice surprise, BUT, they warned everyone he drops passes. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
- Demps impressed me in preseason, but he's not enough at safety. It is probably time to give the return job to Davis and hope for the best.
- Commings I need to see more of him but I have to say I'm concerned that he is too slow
- Doesn't it appear that Hali is not rushing inside enough? I don't see much of a purpose in rushing from the outside on a QB that can't run anyway.
- I had zero confidence in our 2 starting guards and center from day one. All of them need to be replaced and I'm hoping that Kush can win the job next year. I'm over the guards, permanently. With average protection Alex Smith will kill you.
- After the final preseason game I'm convinced the Bray signing was brilliant. You need to try to win now. I was and continue to be supporting of the SF trade for Smith. It was the right call until Rivers and Manning retire, soon I hope. Bray's arm will ultimately change the team for years to come.
- Dorsey as GM was the right guy for the job. I have a lot of confidence in him, but I expect a much better draft next year.
- Biggest mistake - should have traded the farm for Josh Gordon. We will never do better than that could have been
- Schwartz needs to be starting for at least another year until we can upgrade.
- If Derrick Johnson gets old we're in trouble
- I have no idea what to do about Tyson Jackson
- Dunta is out of gas
- Have a feeling that Emmit Thomas is going to connect with Cooper. I have no idea why, just a suspicion. I watched Thomas as a season ticket holder decades ago and I just see similarities I've never noticed before. Could be something to that.
- OL coach has to go
- What the hell is Childress doing anyway?

TEX
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
If last night is Alex Smith's ceiling, you can absolutely go places with that. I'm very encouraged with him.

I think he's holding the ball longer because receivers just don't separate.

Exactly the case. Even the most stubborn Alex bashers see this now. The other one's are just idiots and only see what they want.

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2013, 11:57 AM
One of the biggest take aways I have gotten from the last few games is if the OL blocks resonably well, and the WR catch the ball, the offense is more than adequate.

We should win 2 or more of our last 4 games and who knows what happens in the WC round.

I really think it has a lot more to do with smith getting rid of the ball faster because he trusts his read, and Alex being willing to attack. Earlier you saw some happy feet, some unnecessary pump fakes, etc... I actually think the bad defense was tremendous for his development. He can't just lay up and pray his defense will cover him up.

At times, earlier in the year, he seemed like he wanted to will the ball into his receivers hands. Yesterday and San Diego, he just let it rip. He's starting to throw his guys open.

We have to keep in mind that San Diego is terrible on defense and Denver was hobbled. But I love eat I've seen from smith the past two weeks. Totally different QB.

Steron
12-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I really think it has a lot more to do with smith getting rid of the ball faster because he trusts his read, and Alex being willing to attack. Earlier you saw some happy feet, some unnecessary pump fakes, etc... I actually think the bad defense was tremendous for his development. He can't just lay up and pray his defense will cover him up.

At times, earlier in the year, he seemed like he wanted to will the ball into his receivers hands. Yesterday and San Diego, he just let it rip. He's starting to throw his guys open.

We have to keep in mind that San Diego is terrible on defense and Denver was hobbled. But I love eat I've seen from smith the past two weeks. Totally different QB.

He's never going to be that prototypical gunslinger. We hear a lot about his cerebral approach to the game. Before he started to let it rip the last three weeks you have to wonder if that brain of his was getting in the way of playing football. Now I fear what happens if he loses confidence in his receivers to make average catches. Several times his laid it in there perfectly only to have them drop the ball.

hitchief
12-02-2013, 12:39 PM
of course this team is there yet? What did anybody think was gonna happen before this season started. This was a team that won 2 whole stinking games last year!

Its a whole new O and D scheme that the players and coach's must learn and know to the point were its second nature without having to think just react. THAT takes time esp. for the O where Joe Montana himself said that took 3 years.

Huge strides have been made but some seem to be delusional with the thought that this was gonna be a Super Bowl team this year. If this team makes the playoffs and wins 1 game, that is a huge season, period.

Yes, they need a FS, TE and #1 wr but I believe they can get those things in the offseason with the draft and FA.

Good lord, relax and enjoy the fact that the team is relevant once again and going in the right direction.

ptlyon
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
He's never going to be that prototypical gunslinger. We hear a lot about his cerebral approach to the game.

That stems from his enlarged Medulla Oblongata

King_Chief_Fan
12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
To be fair, the Broncos were playing their 4th and 5th DBs with one being a rookie.

they looked better than Bailey.....he was chumped several times

FloridaMan88
12-02-2013, 12:59 PM
More Junior Hemingway, Knile Davis and even AJ Jenkins will be beneficial to this offense based on what we saw yesterday.

Whenever Hemingway has had a chance to play… preseason or regular season this year he has performed well. Not sure why he isn't getting more game action.

Hammock Parties
12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Year one has been very good. There is no reason to complain.

That comes next year, when Alex is shitty again!

bricks
12-02-2013, 01:11 PM
of course this team is there yet? What did anybody think was gonna happen before this season started. This was a team that won 2 whole stinking games last year!

Its a whole new O and D scheme that the players and coach's must learn and know to the point were its second nature without having to think just react. THAT takes time esp. for the O where Joe Montana himself said that took 3 years.

Huge strides have been made but some seem to be delusional with the thought that this was gonna be a Super Bowl team this year. If this team makes the playoffs and wins 1 game, that is a huge season, period.

Yes, they need a FS, TE and #1 wr but I believe they can get those things in the offseason with the draft and FA.

Good lord, relax and enjoy the fact that the team is relevant once again and going in the right direction.

Well, I thought that the 9-0 start had a big influence on changing peoples expectations/perspectives. At one point in time, remember we were one of the top defenses in the league and that gave many people hope and/or reason to believe we can hang with anybody.

It's amazing what winning streaks and a top defense can do.

But, as the season has progressed and now we are witnessing this 3 game losing skid, it kind of changes things a bit as far as expectations go because the team weaknesses have become more evidently clear when you are losing against good teams. At least it gives us a general sense of where the team stands and what needs to be done to improve and compete against the top dogs of the league. That kind of stuff is a little more difficult to depict early in the season when you are winning against mediocre to bad teams.

You're right huge strides have been made but the delusion is totally understandable. Hey man if we make the playoffs and win a playoff game, I'd be ecstatic! That would be huge improvement in comparison to last year. As a fan, that is pretty much what I want at this point in time. That is what we should be asking for at this point in time. Hopefully the coaching staff and the players can get into the post season and get this team some playoff experience and playing at a playoff level. That would be a successful year 1 under a new regime that had a huge roster turnover.

*But Im believer that the better your team is, the harder it is to improve. The worse your team is, the easier it is to improve. I don't think the improvements will be easy to come by and I expect the challenges are going to lie ahead for this regime. Hopefully we have an excellent braintrust in place to improve this team to get it to another level beyond what we are witnessing.

ROYC75
12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Spin how you want. My point is the Chiefs this year have only looked exceptional against bad teams.

I am trying to figure out what games we were exceptional in ?

To start the season in year # 1 ( of Andy Reid ), we had no chemistry in the offense and it has taken 9 weeks for them to jell. It takes time for the players to get their timing down on the WC offense. Especially when we have so many guys that are probably lacking upstairs material to understand how to be at a certain spot at a certain time in the WC offense. Plus we have to have WR's who can actually catch the ball while they are running in traffic.

But during that time of 9 wins while our defense was hot you could see that they were tailing off, especially by the Buffalo game! With this said, these same teams we played early possibly didn't have their offense's clicking either. So where have we really looked exceptional, our offense & defense seems to be going in different directions.

Your take on Alex Smith is dead on! When Alex is on, he is very serviceable as a great back up QB. He can excel if we have exceptional talent around him, ala Matt Cassel. But Alex just does not have the vision nor the understanding of the defenses he is looking at to make the hot route choices. He is slow to see it unfolding and it's one reason he doesn't throw a lot of INT's, he's afraid to force a throw because he missed his hot route WR.

Way too many times this year I have seen open WR's when Alex is locked down on a certain WR. That last play to Bowe ( horrible call ) McGrath was open down the middle for 5 or 6 yards. Connect, worst case we have a 1st and goal.

Poor execution and coaching blunders is keeping us from being 11 - 1. But at 11 - 1, we would be the same paper tiger we are at 9 - 3.

We just don't have the proper players at WR,CB, FS,DL, and OL. Our team depth is weak, look at the Donks, they had multiple players out, or got hurt during the game and yet they can compete. Their DL was decimated and we had plug in Schwartz & Stevenson. We have CP members calling for them to be starters ! :eek: Back ups vs backed up back ups DL members, OK, we need lots of,help all around.

I think Reid & Dorsey has done a good job in year # 1. Teams that are real contenders have had their nucleus of starters together and back ups in place for a while. We are in year # 1 of a rebuild, yes, it's a rebuild from a 2 - 14 team that had some talent to work with.

Time is on our side, the problem is, so is Andy's clock management problems. It's up to Dorsey to get us the players to compete and overcome Andy's short comings in this department.

mcaj22
12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
so when will this team "be there"

when Charles is on the other side of 30?

ptlyon
12-02-2013, 01:55 PM
so when will this team "be there"

when Charles is on the other side of 30?

Depends on how old you are

ROYC75
12-02-2013, 02:02 PM

You are nuts!

More holes than that!

BlackHelicopters
12-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Stephan A. Smith on ESPN talking about how our WRs blew that game.

Our WR did not give up four TD to white guy Decker

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Great thread, JSP - I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact, I said the exact same thing to Coffey yesterday at the stadium. All three phases of the game cost us - though people will only look at the drops.

Offense:

You're playing against a bad defense, who is missing a starting DB and their two best DL - and are given two turnovers by your defense - and you score 21 points? and are damn near invisible for 2.5 quarters in the middle of the game?

Defense:

Not much to say here. Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result. Man coverage is not going to work against competent QB's when your pass rush is non-existent. The lack of adjustments in-game are disturbing. I think Eric Decker just scored again.

Special Teams:

First, thanks for the 7 points. Also, thanks for the shitty field position. You can't have drives start on the 13 and the 3 because you're returners are either cocky enough to think they can break a 108 yard return for the second time, or just flat out dumb, fielding a punt inside their own 5 yard line. Offense goes three-and-out, and field position changes dramatically.

There's not much I can add about the QB play - JSP pretty much nailed it, IMO. The inconsistency is maddening. March down the field on the first drive, hesitate and make a boneheaded decision on first down to cost your team points. March down the field on the last drive, and throw a pass off AJ's shoestrings on third down, setting up a do-or-die play. He made some good throws and his WR's let him down, yes. But he's far from blameless here.

This was a total team loss.

TEX
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Yeah, but they did drop 6 critical passes. How many did Decker drop? :hmmm:

Lonewolf Ed
12-02-2013, 04:42 PM
it's true; hell, it may help...you'd have to call a defense that compensates for the giant hole at FS.

That is what I had been hoping they would do during the game!

CallMeSquidwad
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Um, no. This thread was started by me saying it's not just a single thing. That all phases of the team need to be better. You are one dense mother****er.

WOW! Crazy revelation there, We were 2-14 last year and had 30 new players on our roster.....ofcourse it's not a finished product. This forum likes to use 40 years of history to totally disregard reality, those of us with a brain didn't completely alter expectations midseason due to a hot start. Now I am not calling you dumb, but it is very hypocritical if you can have the perspective of calling us an 8-8 team with a weak schedule, yet go off and point out all of our flaws. Get over it and enjoy the process this team is on it's way up.

Saccopoo
12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Lance Alworth and Steve Largent say "hi!"

I'm guessing you never saw Decker play in college either. Guy was an absolute beast. Unstoppable. I really wanted the Chiefs to draft him.

Cooper and Flowers were both absolutely owned by Decker.

That being said, our WR's absolutely suck dog nuts.

And speaking of sucking dog nuts, did anybody notice how much better our offensive line looked without Albert and Asamoah in the lineup?

Titty Meat
12-02-2013, 06:32 PM
My favorite narrative is that Peyton Manning is a choker in the playoffs yet our head coach has 1 more playoff win than Manning

Marcellus
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
My favorite narrative is that Peyton Manning is a choker in the playoffs yet our head coach has 1 more playoff win than Manning

I think our coach has been abused throughout his career for losing big playoff games he should have won, namely NFC Championship games against lesser teams. Its not like he never wins, he just loses the big one, just like Manning.

Not sure what narrative you are referring to.

MahiMike
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
2 wins last year, 11 this year. It's a helluva improvement. We've been in every game we lost as a bonus.

rabblerouser
12-02-2013, 07:17 PM
That is what I had been hoping they would do during the game!

I know.

BlackHelicopters
12-02-2013, 07:20 PM
2 wins last year, 11 this year. It's a helluva improvement. We've been in every game we lost as a bonus.

How are you getting to 11?

JoeyChuckles
12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
It kinda feels good to be mad about losing again.

Marcellus
12-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Seriously? Seriously? You don't think we win 2 more games?

The Bad Guy
12-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Priority 1a after finding a WR this offseason is finding a Kam Chancellor type SS to free up Berry.

Titty Meat
12-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I'd like to see them draft odell beckham and paul Richardson in the draft

Sorter
12-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Priority 1a after finding a WR this offseason is finding a Kam Chancellor type SS to free up Berry.

Would you rather have a Kiko Alonso to move Berry back in subs?

The Bad Guy
12-02-2013, 08:24 PM

I'll take either although I'd rather an enforcer type like Chancellor.

Berry has to be free to roam. This sub LB stuff is garbage.

Sorter
12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I'll take either although I'd rather an enforcer type like Chancellor.

Berry has to be free to roam. This sub LB stuff is garbage.

Personally, I'd rather have another ILB that can play all 3 downs. I think it provides a few more advantages (physically, with fronts/coverages/personnel, etc) than another competent SS (although I'd gladly welcome one).

I just don't know if there's a LB in this draft that is like Kiko/Kuechly/Cushing. Probably because I haven't started watching college yet, so who knows.

Ragged Robin
12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Berry plays the box too well. We need a pure cover guy with range.

Sorter
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Berry plays the box too well. We need a pure cover guy with range.

If you had another ILB that could play in coverage as well as Eric you'd be able to do quite a bit more in regards to coverage and blitz concepts (out of both base and subs)

Chiefshrink
12-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Anybody worth their football acumen should have never bought into the 9-0 and especially when our D didn't face any serious QB's outside of Eli and Tony the first 9 games. Sutton can only 'gimmick' for so long when you have shit in the 2ndary and dare I say just okay DE's and not Thomas/Smith of the 90's that some thought they were based on those misleading numbers IMO. The D is better but has a ways to go yet. Offense is beginning to gel but we just don't have enough weapons(WRs and O-linemen) or a QB that can put the game on his back which was sorely needed in that last minute yesterday. Hate to say it but not once did I feel we were going to win that game even when were up 21-7. When that happened, I quietly said to myself, NOW the continuous rape of Cooper must begin until the end of the game and what happened ?? But I confess the first 3 games Cooper started he was balling big time and said several times on this board is this kid the 2nd coming of Albert Lewis ??? Is he ruined psychologically ? Can he get any better or has he reached his ceiling ?? Remains to be seen.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
We could still run the press man, but play our 2 safeties deep because their run game doesn't deserve respect. That's pretty much what NE did. Instead we fucked the same chicken as last week and got burned.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Jfc

TimeForWasp
12-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Wonder what it would cost to bring in both Randy Moss and Terrell Owens just for the remainder of the year.

13and3
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
This is just another lousy ass cry baby thread. It amazes me how many people associate pessimism and negativity with been objective or a pragmatist. Yes it is true we lost to Denver both away and at home, but the win lost record doesn't tell the complete story with how competitive our home team played, both these games were very winnable for us, we were always in both of these games. For fuck sake we only lost by a touchdown, and we were with in a few yards of evening the game in the last minute, never mind the 7 points taken off the board with the interception. These two teams are closely matched, if they play 10 times kc wins 3 to 4 of those contest. Moreover if they play 3 times there is a good chance we win one of those match-ups, so if we see them again in the playoffs the odds should actually play to our advantage. One more thing, The defensive was great in beginning of the year, and the offense stunk, now it is vise versa, it is the natural ebb and flow of a growing team. What we really want to see is a healthy Chiefs team headed into the play offs, that has not peaked to early and has started to click on both sides of the ball at the same time, and play well as a team when it matters the most.

Rausch
12-03-2013, 10:02 AM
This is just another lousy ass cry baby thread. It amazes me how many people associate pessimism and negativity with been objective or a pragmatist.

Grammar Nazis?...

13and3
12-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Its a web forum not a English class.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
If you had another ILB that could play in coverage as well as Eric you'd be able to do quite a bit more in regards to coverage and blitz concepts (out of both base and subs)

Can nice Johnson handle? I'd have to think if he could, Sutton would have recognized it by now. But I thought he seemed much faster than Jordan.

Rausch
12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Its a web forum not a English class.

Don't chum yourself...

The Bad Guy
12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Can nice Johnson handle? I'd have to think if he could, Sutton would have recognized it by now. But I thought he seemed much faster than Jordan.

Nico has next to zero cover skills.

13and3
12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Don't chum yourself...
Didnt see the word chum in the way you used it described in the Websters dictionary.

Rausch
12-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Didnt see the word chum in the way you used it described in the Websters dictionary.

Don't post stupid $#it that will draw sharks like blood in the water...

Sorter
12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Nico has next to zero cover skills.

This.

I mean, he didn't have any in college.

13and3
12-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Don't post stupid $#it that will draw sharks like blood in the water...

Just heard Soren Petro make the same stupid ass points I made on 810.

GloryDayz
12-03-2013, 04:09 PM
This is just another lousy ass cry baby thread. It amazes me how many people associate pessimism and negativity with been objective or a pragmatist. Yes it is true we lost to Denver both away and at home, but the win lost record doesn't tell the complete story with how competitive our home team played, both these games were very winnable for us, we were always in both of these games. For fuck sake we only lost by a touchdown, and we were with in a few yards of evening the game in the last minute, never mind the 7 points taken off the board with the interception. These two teams are closely matched, if they play 10 times kc wins 3 to 4 of those contest. Moreover if they play 3 times there is a good chance we win one of those match-ups, so if we see them again in the playoffs the odds should actually play to our advantage. One more thing, The defensive was great in beginning of the year, and the offense stunk, now it is vise versa, it is the natural ebb and flow of a growing team. What we really want to see is a healthy Chiefs team headed into the play offs, that has not peaked to early and has started to click on both sides of the ball at the same time, and play well as a team when it matters the most.

Well we don't like being closely matched, it's not a recipe for success for us all that often.

Oh,and we lost another heart breaker, at home, to Sandy Eggo too. So there is that.

I think what folks don't understand is that we're not as dumb as the organization would like us to be, so we call them out and others think that's whining. Their problem, not ours! Run JC, what, less than 20 times in the last game. Yeah, that's smart!

Meh, who cares what people think. It's all good and we'll be even more awesome than we are some year...