PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs can clinch a playoff spot this weekend

mr. tegu
12-03-2013, 12:34 PM
So after three straight losses there is quite a bit of doom and gloom around the Chiefs. With some posters going as far to say as they are worried if we will even make the playoffs which is pretty silly and almost an impossibility.

Well, this weekend we can clinch a playoff spot and be guaranteed at least the 5 seed. In order for this to happen there are just three games to watch and they are all noon games.

Obviously the Chiefs need to win.

The Steelers need to win at home versus the Dolphins.

The Vikings need to win on the road at the Ravens. This is definitely the least likely but it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

So even though these last three weeks have sucked we still find ourselves in a pretty favorable position. Since we likely don't need to worry about winning the division, we will then find ourselves with the luxury of resting players for parts of games in order to get ready for the playoffs. I don't advocate sitting an entire game, but if Charles, Hali, Johnson, etc. need to rest for regular healing or to prevent injury in the second half of some games down the stretch then that will certainly be a benefit to our team.

Edit - I just realized that if even one of the Vikings or Steelers win then we clinch a playoff spot with at least the sixth seed.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-03-2013, 12:35 PM
So after three straight losses there is quite a bit of doom and gloom around the Chiefs. With some posters going as far to say as they are worried if we will even make the playoffs which is pretty silly and almost an impossibility.

Well, this weekend we can clinch a playoff spot and be guaranteed at least the 5 seed. In order for this to happen there are just three games to watch and they are all noon games.

Obviously the Chiefs need to win.

The Steelers need to win at home versus the Dolphins.

The Vikings need to win on the road at the Ravens. This is definitely the least likely but it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

So even though these last three weeks have sucked we still find ourselves in a pretty favorable position. Since we likely don't need to worry about winning the division, we will then find ourselves with the luxury of resting players for parts of games in order to get ready for the playoffs. I don't advocate sitting an entire game, but if Charles, Hali, Johnson, etc. need to rest for regular healing or to prevent injury in the second half of some games down the stretch then that will certainly be a benefit to our team.

Go Haley and Cassel.

mr. tegu
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I would add that if we do sit people towards the end of the regular season that none of them should be Smith, the o-line, or his receivers so that they can continue to get work and be on point once the playoffs start.

Mile High Mania
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
I still think you only rest people due to injury concerns... resting players tends to fail more often than not, you need consistency and momentum especially if you're going on the road in the playoffs.

chop
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Maybe don't just rest everyone but get some backups a few more game reps just in case they are needed.

Bearcat
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
With some posters going as far to say as they are worried if we will even make the playoffs

This has really happened?

LMAO

Dartgod
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
This has really happened?

LMAO

This surprises you?

LMAO

Bearcat
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
This surprises you?

LMAO

It's a bit much, even for this place.

There's always seemed to be the thought of once they win, they'll keep winning, and once they lose, they'll keep losing, and some really seem to hate the idea of SoS, like who they play might actually have something to do with the outcome, but....

Ok, it doesn't really surprise me.... but, after all these years, it's still kind of funny in a completely pathetic kind of way.

Gravedigger
12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Worst case scenario we'll finish 2-2 we'll be fine.

Fat Elvis
12-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Famous last words.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Clinch
A word Chiefs fans have to look up for $100, Alex.

ptlyon
12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Ironically, we could have clinched a playoff spot 3 weeks ago too

Calcountry
12-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Can we still go 13-3 and get home field advantage, then get bounced in the first round?

ROYC75
12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Can we still go 13-3 and get home field advantage, then get bounced in the first round?

Yep, as long as Denver & NE will lose 2 games each and we win out.

BlackHelicopters
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM

This optimism is amazing

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I still think you only rest people due to injury concerns... resting players tends to fail more often than not, you need consistency and momentum especially if you're going on the road in the playoffs.

I don't think you bench any players. But giving Houston and Hali a few weeks off to completely heal, giving Poe, Jackson, and Devito significantly less snaps, and splitting more carries between Charles and Knile Davis... these would all go a long way.

I'll be pissed if we clinch and Poe is still on the field the majority of the time. Cut it down to maybe something like 50%.

ThaVirus
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
I would add that if we do sit people towards the end of the regular season that none of them should be Smith, the o-line, or his receivers so that they can continue to get work and be on point once the playoffs start.

While Mile High Mania has a point, if we end up being locked into a certain seed with 2 or even 3 weeks remaining in the regular season, I'd like to see some of our defenders, namely Poe, Hali, and Houston, get entire game days off with guys like DJ, Berry and Flowers just playing sparingly.

It's absolutely imperative that Poe, Hali and Houston get some rest if that becomes the case; I can live with the other guys still playing a significant amount of snaps although I'd prefer they didn't.

Also, to your post, I agree. Every member of the offensive line, receiving corps, and Alex need to play 100%. They just need the work and it's most important for them to keep their timing right. With that said, I would like to see Jamaal sit out a game or two and see Knile work as the featur back being spelled by Gray.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Vikings won't win , we're fucked !

TEX
12-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't think you bench any players. But giving Houston and Hali a few weeks off to completely heal, giving Poe, Jackson, and Devito significantly less snaps, and splitting more carries between Charles and Knile Davis... these would all go a long way.

I'll be pissed if we clinch and Poe is still on the field the majority of the time. Cut it down to maybe something like 50%.

This. They need to see some action to remain sharp. If there is an injury issue, then I'd give them total rest.

mr. tegu
12-03-2013, 04:34 PM
While Mile High Mania has a point, if we end up being locked into a certain seed with 2 or even 3 weeks remaining in the regular season, I'd like to see some of our defenders, namely Poe, Hali, and Houston, get entire game days off with guys like DJ, Berry and Flowers just playing sparingly.

It's absolutely imperative that Poe, Hali and Houston get some rest if that becomes the case; I can live with the other guys still playing a significant amount of snaps although I'd prefer they didn't.

Also, to your post, I agree. Every member of the offensive line, receiving corps, and Alex need to play 100%. They just need the work and it's most important for them to keep their timing right. With that said, I would like to see Jamaal sit out a game or two and see Knile work as the featur back being spelled by Gray.

This is where I am at. Those guys you mentioned don't need to be playing fourth quarters of meaningless games. There isn't really the same type of benefit that the offense gets for playing together and maintaining a good rythym.

CallMeSquidwad
12-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Well unfortunately we have injury concerns...Tamba needs rest, Justin needs to be 100% before he comes back, and if there was ever a time to see what we have with Knile Davis and take that load off of Jamaal. Not sit him entirely, but give Jamaal about 10-15 touches, and try and get Knile closer to 15 carries. Our o line is pretty deep so I am not worried if we have to sit a guy here and a guy there, so overall this is valuable time for our team. I say we rest them earlier since we can, then have all of the guys play weeks 16 & 17 to get ready for January.

Red Dawg
12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
This optimism is amazing

Crazy talk. You are not in until you are in. Beat Shanny and we are in. Until we have then no one should be at ease.